Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• gberrygberry Member Posts: 21
    Let me first qualify this by saying we are mechanically "challenged" folks-- big time.
    This is not a job for an amateur, imho. However, the real reason is not difficulty - though it's not easy! The problem is that WAAG sends a parts list and directions - minus pictures. So if you have difficulty identifying which part is which, you are in trouble - and it's not always easy to understand which side brackets go (we installed one upside down the first time) etc. Also, one of the brackets was a fraction of an inch too big - we had to file it ever so slightly with a metal file - and while this part doesn't show, it now has to be touched up with some rustoleum-type paint so it won't have underbody rust. I think the problem is that the instructions were created by someone who does this type of installation all the time - so it seems obvious to the author how to do it and therefore he thinks it should be equally obvious to customers. Allow plenty of time (min. 2 - 3 hrs), or better yet, part with $50 - 75 to have it installed by someone who knows what they are doing.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The first re-call is for shields of the fuel line, the second is for a replacement of a section of the fuel line itself.

-mike
    When you get the rear bumper guards on, let us know if it protects the spare tire cover or just the bumper. Also does it protect the corners of the bumpers? That is where I'm looking for protection like when someone pulls out of a parking spot and just rubs against your corner.

-mike
    I'm pretty sure it will NOT protect the rear tire cover. WAAG told me that if I hit something high, such as a pole, it probably wouldn't help much; that it would be helpful only for low objects. Nor, based on the photo at their website, will it protect the corners, since the guard doesn't extend that far. I guess you'd also have to get the tail light corners which would stick out and therefore hopefully protect the corners as well.
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    Just got clipped today in a parking lot on the drivers side rear corner by a 17 yr old driving a GMC van. Saw it happen from outside the vehicle. Dent under the light. Bumper is well scratched-up but looks okay. The bumper may have dropped from the fender well guard very slightly--possibly just needs remounted. Too bad the bumper wasn't enough to stop the dent under the light. I'll get back on the damage estimate.
    Sorry to hear about the dent :(

Hmm, the waag bumper guards don't sound very useful then, from my estimates, any car (i've had several behind me when parked) would hit the tire cover before the bumper, the only way it can hit the bumper is if they rub it during pulling out of a parking spot, which unfortunately, the tail light covers would be too high for most vehciles :(

Oh well...

-mike
    Well its a bummer, but I think it would have been worse if this GMC van had hit a smaller car (even my Windstar). On the other hand, if it was a smaller car that would have hit the trooper, I think the bumper would have been enough protection. He was probably going at least 5 mph when he hit it, and the bumper is not depressed at all.

I am worried at this stage about rust before it gets fixed. I am taking it to my dealer tomorrow to get a date for a repair. I'm thinking about putting a heavy coat of wax over the bare metal at the dent. I think that should stop rust for awhile.
    Or spray paint it a bit, i mean they'll have to re-paint it anyway, so some primer paint should do the trick.

-mike
    The Waag Center Bar looks great on the silver truck. Whoever posted those could you tell us a big about the mounting of it? Does it effect the tow hook locations in the front? How are the Hella 500s? The whole truck looks very classy...(I have a Silver LS, so I'm partial to silver troopers)

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I have a question, maybe someone can save me from having to crawl under and look...the manual is unclear: On a TOD-equipped Trooper, is the TOD unit in ADDITION TO the transfer case or IN PLACE OF the transfer case?

Thanks,
    Steve
  • andrewinlaandrewinla Member Posts: 15
    I bought it at California Car Cover Co. in Chatsworth, CA for about $170. I picked it up at their place since I work near it. Installed it on my lunch hour with a few hand tools. I had to remove the tow hook and turn it upside down. It did not fit very well the regular way. You also have to remove the grill and mount a support brace there behind the grill, this seems to be only to prevent vibration. I have had many people mistake my Trooper for a Landcruiser...how dare they put my Trooper down like that!
    But the lights are not hooked up yet, I have a set of rectangular Hella fog lights I want to see if someone can fit them into the stock foglight spot. I will have that shop do the wiring for all the foglights at once. I also got the weheelskins leather steering wheel cover from the same place for under $30. But dont get the grey/black, it seems the grey part wore off and now looks like black showing through, I will change it for an all black one. I also bought the leather cover gearshift changer from St Charles Isuzu to give the interior a partial leather feel. I wanted to add the leather transfer shifter handle too, but that piece is like $80...Oh I did change my tire cover to the vinyl one to have less of the flying suacer out back look. I like the tire cover in any color but not silver.

Here is the picture of the Waag center guard again. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=932449&a=10288250
    Ah ha, :( don't like those stabalizer bars that go into the grille, when it get's whacked I've heard they puncture your radiator.

-mike
    I don't think there is a chip in the keys of the troopers, but I'm not sure. As for getting locked out you could have called Isuzu Roadside assistance and they would have unlocked your car for free. Short of sleeping in your truck, no security system is gonna stop a theif from taking it...

-mike
    I am returning my WAAG rear bumper guard for full refund. I called WAAG and they said that their bumper guards have NOT been crash tested and in fact, they are "for cosmetic purposes only, for people who want an offroad look." Heck, I don't want a "look", I want it to protect my bumper! I had no problems taking it back to the place of purchase, fortunately. I didn't ask about the front bumper/grill guard, but even though I agree it makes the truck look nice, this is money out the window as far as I'm concerned if it is functionless. As far as the WAAG side tubes, I am very happy, and I feel it is a quality product. The first one was a major struggle to put on, but once we knew what we were doing, the second one took 45 minutes. Still, they should include pictures identifying parts and procedure, not just written directions.
    The guard may puncture the radiator in a moderate-high speed impact. I have used it to push many things, I even tied rope to it and pull a neighbors stump out of the ground. They are pretty solid. At one point I was pushing a friends old Datsun Z40 for a shoort distance and he actually braked and I smashed his bumper in(Sorry Greg) but had only minor scratch on the rubber outside of the center guard. I think I have pushed them past the limits I would not have ccrossed. To each his own.

Andrew
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=932449&a=10288250
    Cool, glad to hear some real world testing of it. I guess I should have asked that first :) It is pretty cheap too, although the ECB ones are cheaper now that the AU$ is taking a beating against the US$ it's probably even cheaper for the ECB bar than it was a few months ago.

-mike
    I like the fact that the ECB bar wraps around the whole front end of the vehicle.I like the aggressive look of the WAAG gueard and since I am more of a wannabe off roader rather than a real one, the WAAG is sufficient. Beleive me I wish I could take this thing further than dirt lots and what not. Urban spral in LA, CA has left us with cery little dirt to drive on.But my favorite front guard is the JAOS center guard but at $699 no thank you!
  • erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    I also returned a grill guard because I was unsatisfied with the loss in front approach angle. Most of these bolt on to the front and end up hanging down a few inches from the frame and the front bumper which reduces the approach angle. I saw a factory guard on a range rover disco II and saw that the design is extremely low profile and does not appear to detract from the approach angle. The stock front bumper on the later model Troopers will scuff before hitting the skid guard, so be careful off road (this is from experience :{ ). This does not appear to be a problem with the old Trooper bumpers which are smaller and angled not to encroach upon the plane of approach. I think when they redesigned the front air dam on the 98-up Troopers, they sacrificed the angle for looks and maybe aerodynamics (although I doubt this helps much). I'm waiting to actually see a guard mounted on a Trooper that I like before going through the hassle of buying/installing another.
    But like you said @ $699 it's a bit more than us "urban" cowboys can afford. Mine is mostly to stop those people in manhattan from scuffing my bumper when backing into a parking spot (that's why the Waag rear bumper guards weren't and good for me cause you hit the spare before the rear bumper)

If I could afford it I'd get an ECB full front bumper or the ARB one, but I can't justify it's cost.

-mike
  • arktrooper1arktrooper1 Member Posts: 101
    Thanks for the pics! This is exactly the set-up I want for my '00 S!

Can you tell me please, how far from the lowest point on the grille guard to the ground. Not that it will make any real difference, probably, but I'd like to know if the guard decreases the ground clearance of the vehicle, if any. I believe the "stock" ground clearance is 8.3".

Thanks also for the follow-up post #171 re: the supports puncturing the radiator and what you've actually done with the guard. Paisan makes a good point but from what you've said, I think any risk of damaging the radiator is an acceptable one.

-Dave
    I'm doing the Hella 500's too! From what Ken Beard at Susquehanna told me they will go out nearly twice as far as the Hella Optilux bulbs I have now (on high beam). Upgraded headlight bulbs or not, the Trooper's headlight reflector design sucks!

-Dave
  • serranoserrano Member Posts: 107
    To SDC2,
    The TOD unit IS the transfer case. However, it incorporates the clutches and other hardware that permits full-time operation. The unit is bigger than other transfer cases I have seen, but you will recognize it if you crawl under the truck.

Tom
    From the other topic...

The link to the axiom pictures states that the Axiom will have a 3.2l engine which is INCORRECT. It will have a 3.5l (same as Trooper) but with a new computer 32bit (or so the internal Isuzu paperwork says) which bumps it to 230hp, so in 2002 the Trooper should get at least 230hp!

-mike
    The Safari GMC van that hit my trooper in the parking spot racked up some costs as I expected. The trooper was unoccupied when he clipped the corner. The guy (17 yr old) was moving about 5 mph. Costs to repair: $1049 which includes a new rear bumper at $302.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Thanks serrano! That's what I thought would be the case, but neither the owners manual or Helm manual come right out and say it...and since the high temp today is supposed to be a balmy 12 degrees F, I didn't want to get under there and look.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Yesterday I wasted 2 hrs at the dealer trying to get the 2nd recall to replace the fuel line done. After making the appt and giving them all the info from the recall notice they thought that I wanted the shield installed (1st recall). When they got in there they noticed that had already been done. When I told them about the second recall (for the second time) they had not heard anything form Isuzu on that. When I got home I called Isuzu and they told me that in an effort to get the notice out to customers, we got the info ahead of the dealers. In the age of the internet it's hard to believe that they didn't have a clue when I got an e-mail from autobytel.com telling me about it AND a letter from Isuzu.

When you get the work done, make sure they understand what recall you want them to do so you won't waste your time like I did.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I wonder if that 230 HP chip could be installed in a 99 trooper? Does anyone know if the new 3.5 L is updated to support higher HP or just a chip that provides more HP due to something like better aspiration?

I think the dealer not knowing of the recall is a load of Bull. When I brought my 99 in and asked if I needed the same work performed the service guy gave me the same deer in the headlights look. I think it is just to cover themselves for liability that they deny everything.
    Not sure, I'm thinking it's just the chip, cause original literature didn't include the "32 bit Processing Engine Computer" and state 215hp, I only see the 230hp now in literature with "32 bit Processor" listed. Retro-fitting? possibly?

-mike
    I spoke to my dealer, who knew of the re-calls but told me he didn't have the parts for the 2nd one in as of yet. He said that Isuzu has been slow in forthcoming of data to them. He seems like a pretty honest guy and this dealer did fix any and all problems my original selling dealer's service dept wouldn't/couldn't do.

-mike
    Any of you guys interested in a Black ECB Nudge Bar? I have the black one but am ordering a Chrome one for my buddy who just bought an LS and want to get a chrome one for myself. If you buy my Black one, I'll get me a chrome one (You even get new mounting hardware since the chrome has the same mounting hardware and I'm not gonna un-do it to re-do it)

-mike
  • isuzujoeisuzujoe Member Posts: 1
    I've been told that Isuzu considers it normal for
    their 3.5L engine to use a quart of oil every
    1500-miles,what's the story ?
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I had extra keys made for my 98 Trooper and have had no problems using them to lock and unlock the doors.
    All manufactuers basically have a disclaimer that 1Q per 1000 miles is normal. Same goes for Octane levels, you may experience knocking at lower octane, so you may need to use a higher octane. (i haven't experienced the octane one, but have heard that gripe from others about manufacturers in general)

-mike
    I'd say 2002 or 2003 most likely 2003 for the next Gen Trooper. I fully expect it to be larger, with 3 rows of seats, and a larger V6 or V8 engine. The Axiom is going to be awfully close in length and drivetrain as the current generation, so it only makes sense that the new Trooper will be larger, maybe not as large as the Sequoia, but I put it up there with the Land Cruiser in style, only boxier so you can fit more stuff in it!

-mike
  • mustangfiveomustangfiveo Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the info. I cannot wait until 2002 for my next vehicle. Looks like I will be buying the Sequoia. :(
    Another choice it to get a 3rd row for a 2001 trooper. It will cost much much less than the price of the Toyota. Even if you went and ordered the OEM ones from australia (which I'm working on getting a price and supplier for) you aren't talking anything in the ball park of the Toyota.

-mike
    One question is with 3rd row seats in the trooper would be how do you get back there? When the make stock third row do they put in a sliding seat on 30 part of the 30/70 split?
    The 30% part folds up against the front seat and you enter by walking up that section. Kong sent me a pic, I'll post it and put a link to it.

-mike
    It's all about driving style. I found that on long trips where there is heavy traffic which forces me down to 60-65mph, i get near 20mpg (19.xxx) yet at my usual clip of 76-77 I get close to 15-16max. Don't forget, you are trying to motivate a close to 5500lb vehicle to speed up and slow down, with a 3.5l motor. Also above 65, the aerodynamics or lack of aerodynamics can't help much.

-mike
  • mustangfiveomustangfiveo Member Posts: 12
    Two row seating for the trooper is fine, but I am primarily interested in a V8 since I tow a traver trailer.
    Here is a direct link to the 3rd row of seats:
    http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper/3rdrow.html

I've updated my site a little:
    http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper

-mike
    How heavy? I've towed a 3500lb boat trailer in the mountains upstate NY and on interstates @ 75-80mph, it handled very well, but I don't know how good or bad it would be with a travel trailer (cross winds and all)

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I used about 3/4 a quart in the first 1500 miles. Since then I have not burned any.
    Those look pretty nice on your site. I wonder, can you get the gray for the '99. Also, I see the buckle part of the seat belt. Is the other part just a lap belt or is there a provision for a shoulder strap. Do you know if they also fold all the way down? Are the anchors they show on our vehicles or do they just bolt down?
    Interseting, it looks like they show them turned up over the wheel well. How does that work. Is that a straight forword install. What are the costs?--any idea.
    They fold up against the walls of the truck, like the Land Cruiser 3rd row. I don't believe they fold down flat. There is apparently a plate under the carpet of our vehicles that covers a cut-out for the lower latching spot for the 3rd row, so one would need to order the seats and the mounting hardware, but the spot for it is already there. I've been told it's a bolt in procedure.

I'm working on getting prices from australia, seeing how the AU$ is not doing very well we may be able to get em for around $500-$700. Not sure if I want em, but I'd like to get all the info for people who do.

-mike
    Grade Logic basically from my understanding is that the car will downshift and apply engine braking when you let off the gas and begin to slow down. I notice on my 2000 Trooper, that if I'm doing 60mph and let off the gas completely, it will downshift to 3rd gear to slow me down. This happens in each gear down to 1st gear.

-mike
    Mike, I saw that listed on your site as a to be mod. Does that fit right into the filter box and does it add any horsepower to the vehicle (I've heard that claim). Do you know a place with a good price?
    I've had it since about two weeks after I got the Trooper (3 mos. ago). I got it from overlander.com and paid about $60 for the filter and the "kit" to clean and reoil it when necessary. That probably won't be for a couple of years from what the instructions say...LOL. At overlander they weren't real commital on how much of an improvement I would feel, but did say that the improvements would be in the midrange of the power band. This seems to be true, but subtle nevertheless. You've no doubt seen my posted fuel mileage so I cant say there's an improvement there:) Having said all this, I'm glad I bought the filter and would do it again. It didn't cost much and seems to give me a bit more power as the revs build. When I eventually get the time after the first of the year to explore some of Arkansas' back road trails I feel it will give the engine better filtration against dust and dirt.

-Dave
  • sahara111sahara111 Member Posts: 51
    Please keep us posted on info for the 3rd row seat; I'm also interested in this and appreciate your effort and time. Thanks!

My oil use experience in our '99 Trooper has been great. It now has 26000+ miles. I switched from conventional oil at about 5500 miles to Mobil One pure synthetic. Even before switching, I wasn't using any more than about 1/4 of a liter for 3000 miles - and that was with the engine new. I now install a new filter around 3500 miles or so, top off the oil level, and run it to about 7000-7500 miles at which time I change both oil and filter. I've read a couple times that Mobil One can be safely used for at least 10000 miles with no problem. It's an extremely well proven oil.

I've never had ANY vehicle that used a quart every 1000 miles - in any modern, normal passenger vehicle that is a sign of a problem, no matter what the dealer says.

K&N Air Filter: I installed one last year and have had it for over a year. I would recommend you check it/lightly spray it every 3 months with a cleaning every 6 months or maybe a big longer. Yes, it does help mid and higher rpm power better as it is less restrictive; I was able to feel noticeable power increases also; I'd say 3-4% at certain engine speeds.

For What It's Worth: my buddy's '92 Trooper (SOHC 3.2L, manual tranny) just had its' first failure: the starter gave out and he had it rebuilt for about $20 dollars, reinstalled it and all is fine. Not too bad for just a bit over 100,000 miles - and he's completely ignored everything except the coolant and engine oil.

Hope mine does that well. Say Bye!