Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    Apparently that was a false report.
  • kw9kw9 Member Posts: 13
    93LS 30k. Thanks for the info marty. Dealer says I sould come back in for a second ground to be attached to the trans and that will solve problem. The first ground they replaced reduced the problem significantly so maybe this will in fact solve it. we'll see. I've got a service warr for another 50k so I'm not on the hook for $$ above $100.
  • 99trooper99trooper Member Posts: 87
    My local dealer quoted me $365 I believe for the 15k service which based on memory includes replacing the differential fluids and an oil change? Isn't this a little steep? Anyone else have any thoughts about this?...thanks!
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    I paid $212 for the 15K plus 22.5K service.

See: http://www.isuzu.8k.com/First-25k-miles.htm

which details my expenses with a 1999 Trooper for the first 25,000 miles.

• schulhofschulhof Member Posts: 71
    It is probably shock time for my 92k mile 1996 Trooper 'S'.

I have heard good things about the Edelbrock IAS shocks from a source I respect.
    Has anybody installed these in a Trooper and have any comments?

$69.99 ea is the retail price.

Thanks for any info
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I strongly reccomend against them on a trooper. 1 person on this board and someone on another board had them break apart on them. Also you can get rancho 9000s for around the same amount and have the adjustability of them. I think Edlebrock is living on it's rep.

-mike
    It is probably shock time for my 92k mile 1996 Trooper 'S'.

I have heard good things about the Edelbrock IAS shocks from a source I respect.
    Has anybody installed these in a Trooper and have any comments?

$69.99 ea is the retail price.

Thanks for any info
    Paisan,
    Thanks for the quick response.

Did these shocks allegedly break off road or on road. This car spends 99.5% on road and
    the other .5% in the snow.

Spends maybe 2% towing a 3000lb boat.

Do you still recommend against Edelbrock for that type of use?
    Both were on-road experiences. With little or no off-roading done on them. Probably flukes, but not something I'd want to happen to me. I have the rancho 9000s and tow a 3000lb boat as well. it's nice to firm up the rear for towing, and the 9000s allow that easily.

-mike
  • zutrooperzutrooper Member Posts: 66
    IMO, cheap gas shocks work OK for the street. I know that some wno know me will think I'v lost my head, but the cheapo $27 (installed) shocks at Sears and NTB are pretty decent for the $$. I'd recommend them over higher priced shocks IF you don't go off road a lot. Off road theses shocks don't have dampening that yiu need over entire range. On road, they'll give you a firm but compliant ride. Just an opinion, mark P
  • tuckegtuckeg Member Posts: 11
    Will be using a car cover on our new 2001 Trooper S for a while (until I clean out our garage!). It is a pain with the standard antenna because you have to unscrew it or put a hole in the cover. I want to install a power antenna. Should I order the factory part or is there a good replacement? How hard is the installation? Is there a power wire for the antenna on the factory S radio harness?
    Thanks,
    George
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I could be wrong, but I don't think you will find a factory power antenna wire of any kind, because the higher trim models use the "diversity" antenna, which consists of elements on the inside of both side-rear windows (many people mistake the antenna elements for window defrosters). Thus, none of the models use a power retracting antenna...so you will probably have to look aftermarket.
    What SDC2 said. In fact in 2002 even the S model will get it. I'd go with unscrewing it.

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I like the OME shocks. $65 each. They are great. I am sure the Ranchos 9000's are good too. I think the OME are way better than stock on the road.
  • ryanendresryanendres Member Posts: 122
    Also, you may want to head to Walmart and pick up a shorter rubber mast replacement($5). I have one on my Amigo and the reception is fine, and I would imagine that it would flex enough for you needs.

-Ryan
  • vivayovivayo Member Posts: 32
    I have two (and a half) GM vehicles - an S-10 pickup (fixed antenna) and a B'ville (power retracting), in addition to the Trooper. We drive to Baltimore fairly often and I've noticed that the Trooper radio consistently gets better reception than either of the other two vehicle radios when listening to the same station in each of the vehicles. Just one more plus for the Trooper!!
    BTW, Paisan, did you have a link to a how-to with pictures for locating and extracting the trailer electrical hookup on your web site or am I dreaming? I looked but can't seem to find it.
    BTW2, Due to recent events (I work about 2 miles from the Pentagon), we put off until next Monday the drive to Richmond to pick up the travel trailer. I'll report back on how the tow goes next week. I'm anxious, as everything I read indicates that the trailer is too big (wide, high, & long) for the Trooper. Weight isn't the issue.
    Charlie
    Just had the 90k mile service done on the Trooper.

Performed the recommended items and also needed
    rear brakes (for the first time) pads and rotors
    turned. Did the front brakes for the first time
    at 75k.

As I stated in my earlier post, I also need shocks
    and tires.

I tremendously appreciate all input on the shocks,
    I am still leaning towards the Edelbrocks (...get
    it "leaning", that is shock humor -eh!)

Also thinking of BF Goodrich Long Trails this time. This is a money concession. Currently has
    BF Goodrich AT's and they are $40 more each now
    about $160 ea. Seems the LT's are <$100.

Anyone run these tires. I was very happy with the
    AT's, and got about 45k out of them, they replaced
    the OE Duelers. I just don't need the offroad
    capabilities (and hence price) of those tires.

Thanks again all!

P.S. I am very sad that this is likely my first and last Isuzu. Just won't buy a rebadged GM!!! Hear that that ISUZU. I LOVE THIS THING, BUT GIVE
    IT A THIRD ROW OF SEATS, AND MAKE IT AN ISUZU!
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Look at post #277 and #333 in Isuzu Modifications/Aftermarket/Accessories, this is the guy who had problems with the shocks. Also, scroll down a couple, another guy replaced his too, Hope it helps.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    made by visiting my ISUZU dealer recently and making a statement I didn't expect the dealer to respond to. How's that you ask? I took my 97' Trooper in to have the Service Department do the work on the rear diffy "whine". I made 2 mistakes actually, now that I think about it. I took my wife with me, and I sashaayed over to the new car lot and started gandering at the new Troopers they had on the lot. They only had 4 available; 1 S, 1 LS, 1 LTD, and 1 Anniversary Special. While looking at all of them, I decided I'd see if I could get the salesmans attention on the S model. I said, "I bet you can't get me out the door in this one for $19,000" can you? BIG mistake on my part. I had challenged him, and he took the challenge. He said, "I don't know about that, let me see what I can do". In the meantime, I asked to test drive it and we took it out for a spin. My wife was fidgiting around like a new setting hen. I talked her into getting behind the wheel and driving a while, and she started beaming like krypton blue headlights. Man was she pleased with how this rig handled and responded to the press of the accelerator. She kept saying, "this feels real good, handles great", "man, those brakes are smooth acting". "There's no way we can get this car for that price". I had my doubts as well, but told her that if we could, I would be willing to commit to buying it. The sales guy started his spill about what all the Trooper has on it and all, but I cut him off at the pass. I told him I currently have a 97' model and a 1988 model, and was well familiar with all their features except the "drive by wire" system. He tried to explain that to me, and that was it! Then we went into the price fixing process. It was a hoot! I named my price, which he had acknowledged as a cash, out the door price. Then he later asked about any trade-in. That's where I goofed. I admitted I did have a car I wouldn't need anymore if I bought the Trooper, and he latched on to that. He then wanted all the details about this unneeded car, and what MY bottom dollar "difference" price would be to close that deal. I did some quick figuring in my head and shot him a number based on what I've seen on this board, on Edmonds Auto.com, and Auto Trader.com. I shot him a number I thought would be a very good deal for me and one he likely wouldn't take. I was right. He didn't flinch but his "manager" wouldn't bite. He came back with a counter offer, and I said NO. He asked me for some flexibility, "be realistic" he said. I gave another $500 and he went back to his sales manager. He returned shaking his head. My wife was starting to get squirmish, fidgiting around. He wanted me to give another $500. I said NO and headed for the EXIT. As I opened the door to leave, with my upset wife in tow, the manager calls out to me to STOP! He reviews the numbers with me in his office and says "we're only a couple thousand $$ apart, work with me here". PLEASE buy my car! I'll get on my knees and beg if I have to! It was totally embarassing to me! I have never seen a "professional" act like that before. I told him I thought my offer was fair and reasonable, hehe, but I understood that he had to make a living as well. But, I would not pay that price, and I headed for the door again. By this time I'm really tired of this game they're playing and I'm going home. As I got to the door, the managers boss asked what was wrong. I told him, and he asked if I would split the difference with them on the amount we were still arguing over. Before I thought about, I said yes....OOPs, I'd committed to buy a 01' Trooper S when all I really intended to do was take my 97' in for maintenance. But you should see my wife! Man is she beaming!! Happy Trooping!! Now I've got 3! ;->
    When you pick it up shoot me a pic of all 3 for my website! :)

-mike
  • maccmacc Member Posts: 11
    I have a 1999 black trooper and about 4 months ago the paint start chipping all over the hood. These are very small chips, but alot of them. Has anybody else had this problem?? Also does anyone know of a cheaper(poss online) place to get trooper parts and accessories? My friend has an xterra and told me about a place where they can get cheaper parts - xterraparts.com - do we have an equivalent?? Thanks
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    St. Charles Auto Group (800.727.8066, IIRC) sells genuine Isuzu parts at 15% off manufacturer list. That's about as cheap as it gets on Isuzu-brand parts (from oil filters to running boards), as far as I know.
    Matt from http://independent4x.com is working on selling OEM parts contact him to see if he hooked up with the supplier yet.

-mike

• sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I have a 99 black Trooper, have not noticed any paint chipping...I DO have some scratches along the sides from brush along the trails, but that is a different issue...
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    Your purchase writeup was both entertaining and informative. Reminds me of the times when I purchased vehicles. Sounds like you "stole" the new Trooper to me. What are you going to do with the other 2 Troopers?
  • tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    So when the dust settled, what did you actually pay for the Trooper? I assume it is an S Auto 4x4?
  • dbreauxdbreaux Member Posts: 23
    I have been in carwash/detail for several years as well as do many dealer refurbishments. If your paint is chiping, then the hood has been repainted either from a preveous wreck, hail dammage,or shipping from overseas. Dealers on many occasions have completely repainted vehicles that have been dammaged without telling the customer, only for the customer to find they are having paint problems after about 2 years which is the typical amount of time it takes for a cheap quicki paint job to deteriorate from the environment. Although the Japanese painted trooper is not the thickest or as good as many of the other Japanes vehicles, it should not chip. Fords are usually the ones with chiping paint up front.
  • jcrewwjcreww Member Posts: 2
    My 99 Black Tropper has little divots in the hood but it looks like they were caused by small rocks or gravel on the highway. I also have a 92 240 Volvo and there is no comparison in the quality of paint. The Volvo paint is hard and thick with an additional thick primer. Also, the black chips show up more against a light colored primer than most lighter color vehicles. If we had chosen the silver instead of the black, we would not have as noticeable problem.
  • erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    I also have a black '99 Trooper. The paint on newer cars is extremely fragile since manufacturer's switched to spraying extremely thin coats of water based paints. This is done for both environmental and economic reasons. The paint on my 1997 BMW is just as susceptible to chips. The days of 25-30 coats of hand-rubbed deep finish paint are long gone (except maybe Rolls Royce). If you do any amount of highway driving, get a hood protector to save the front edge of the hood and maybe your windshield. I got a factory piece and think it looks sharp. Go through the post archives and you'll see mention of other sources and possible wind slapping sounds from these things.
    I bought the lund hood protector from JC Whitney after I broke my Isuzu one. The lund looks and feels similar to the Isuzu one, but I think the plastic is slightly thicker and less susceptible to wind vibrations. Also was 1/2 the price of an isuzu one.

-mike
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I once tried to buy the Isuzu hood protector from the dealer in my area. They wanted something like $129 to hand it to me in a box. So I called my local body shop Tarheel Auto Body and asked if they would buy it for me wholesale. They said they could not do that, but they could install it for $79. So the installed price was just over half what the dealer was asking for the part alone. Amazing!
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    What-a-ya.......Nuts???????????
    $55 for the Lund one. I had one on my Rodeo and it definitely would be worth $100 or more, saved my windshield and hood a few times.

-mike
    I currently plan to keep all 3 Troopers. My wife is driving the 01' (still beaming), I am driving the 97', and my son is driving the 88'. It looks kinda funny to see 3 in one driveway. I'll see if I can come up with a camera and get a picture for Pasian to post.

As to the question about the final price on the 01', that's a very good question. I'm still not sure exactly what it was. Hmmm, let me think on that one a bit. The dealer sticker was $29,218, there was $7500 ISUZU rebate, they allowed $6100 for my trade-in (after much arguement) that left me at a difference of $15,618 to finance. They finally got me financing at 6.24% for 60 months. This was a non 4X4 model S with automatic. So, maybe not a terrific bargin, but decent I'd say. I got them to within about $1000 of what I thought would be a ridiculously good deal for me ($19000 out the door). That was predicated on me knowing the Edmonds numbers on my trade-in and the purchase prices I've seen posted on this site previously. That's an "out the door" price of about $20,000 now that I think about it. Man they ripped me off!!! Nah, I'm pretty happy with the deal. My trade needed about $1250 worth of cosmetic surgery, including a new windshield to look showroom quality. It wasn't as easy as I had hoped,(to close the deal) but it sure was interesting and some fun. Happy Trooping !!! ;-)
  • nahcirenahcire Member Posts: 9
    does isuzu pay for rental car if the car is in for warranty service? I am taking my 00 trooper in for the followings:
    engine surge - need to replace some sensor
    trans oil leak from plugs - replace oil pan
    rattle moonroof slider - replace slider, need to take down the entire headliner

they told me that it will take all day or possible two days to finish. the svs manager told me that isuzu never pay for rental.
    It's at Isuzu's discretion as to wether you get a loaner or not. General rule of thumb is that if you *need* a car, and they are planningon having it more than 24hrs, Isuzu will give you a rental.

-mike
  • nahcirenahcire Member Posts: 9
    thank, mike
    is there someone I can call at isuzu to request a rental, I have a feeling that the service manager ain't going to a thing.

eric
    I'd say try the 800#, or try a dealer that gives out loaners. It will probably be a tough fight even calling isuzu, but probably an 80% chance of getting it *if* your dealer is willing to say it will be in the shop for more than 24hrs.

-mike
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    I'm thinking of printing out the NHTSA service bulletins on the 2000 Trooper and taking it to the dealer and basically saying something like " Please record on my service record these listed problems (there are about 9...4-5 may be real issues). Then if they do crop up after the B to B warrany runs out, you may have half a chance of getting it fixed. It may be a bit disingenuous to ask them to fix something that is not broken but may be in the future. That's why I would want it down as a previous inquiry, just in case down the road..... You know how Murphy's Law works. Anyone else thought about this?
    I can only think of the safety recalls, and ecu re-program.

-mike
    Well, I made it. Drove the 102 miles to Richmond, VA today and picked up the travel trailer (Trail Harbor by R-Vision) I bought a couple of weeks ago. Naturally, everything didn't go as planned (actually, almost nothing). Before I signed up for the trailer a couple weeks ago, I mentioned to the salesman that the Trooper ('01 2WD LS) is pre-wired. He said that the service dept knew all about it. I mentioned it again when I went in this AM. Guess what - they didn't use it. Spent a lot of time pulling wires up front to hook up. Then, the trailer brake lights didn't work after they hooked the truck up to the trailer. Seems the amber turn signals threw them. I asked if they had the right signals to the Trooper's electrical trailer jack and I got the old deer-in-the-headlights look. I crawled under the truck with a "technician" and showed it to him. He didn't have much to say... Unhook, back to the service bay, another 45 mins and they finally got it right.
    The weight distributing hitch and anti-sway are "Husky" brand. Not a name I recognized, but pretty sturdy. I had ordered a Sherline Loadmaster trailer tongue weight scale and measured the tongue weight at 650 lbs. When they dropped it on the truck, the rear dropped a bit but once the weight distributing spring arms were tensioned everything leveled out nicely. I want to take the trailer to a public scale and weigh it. Seeing as how the advertising literature says the tongue weight (dry) is 330 lbs, I'm really sceptical that their advertised unloaded vehicle weight (UVW) of 4,136 is anywhere near the true weight! Even the inside factory sticker that shows 4,420 lbs with options installed is probably off a bit. Guessing that the UVW is 4,500 lbs, the tongue weight should be between 10% and 15% (450 lbs and 675 lbs), which it was. It is advertised as a 24' trailer, but that's without the 3-1/2 or so feet of A frame and coupler.
    About the time we left Richmond, it started raining. There were reports of high winds and even a tornado. I thought that we might wind up spending the night at a rest stop along the way. At least, we had a bed;-)
    My big concern was trailer sway, particularly when passed by 18-wheelers. That turned out to not be a problem. I knew I was being passed, but always felt I had good control. Most of the truckers gave me a wide berth and a few of them even moved over to the #1 lane (I stayed in #3 until the road widened to 4 lanes, then I moved over to #4). The only time the trailer kicked around a little was when one semi was coming up on the left in #2 lane and another one blew by me at at least 75 mph in the #4 lane (I had just moved to #3 to get into the correct lane to cross the bridge from VA into MD). Things got a little squirrelly on that bridge because of winds and the open grating at the drawspan. Hit another bit of fairly strong wind that moved the trailer around on an overpass only a coupe of miles from home. Slowed to 40 mph and it behaved again. Most of the trip up I-95 I kept the cruise control set between 55 and 60. The trans would shift down at just about every grade, and none of them are really significant hills. I'd say that this load just about maxes out the Trooper. Both the salesman and mechanic told me it would tow fine and that "you won't even know it's back there". Well, they were wrong. I knew it was there but it wasn't too bad. The most noticeable thing wasn't sway (fishtailing) but "bucking" when I drove over any rough sections of road. The short wheelbase of the Trooper accentuates the effect.
    This would be an ideal tow vehicle for one of the tent-end trailers or a collapsible unit but it'll do us for now. We won't be making any long trips in it as we plan to park it at a nearby military recreation center during the summers and store it closer to home during winters. Before we start making long trips with it, I'm gonna trade my S-10 pickup for a 2500HD.
    I'll try to get some pictures of it in the next day or two (it was dark by the time we got home).
    Charlie
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    This is not easy to do, in my experience. Dealer service departments are very savvy and they generally do NOT want to document problems. Any problem they do document is always prefaced with "customer states" or "check for". They are very careful to admit that anything is actually wrong.

I would not expect many dealer service departments to document a laundry list of problems or potential problems. This is a good idea on your part, though. I just don't think the dealer will play along.
    exactly where can these be found for any particular model vehicle? It sounds like a good idea to me, to know what has been identified as a problem or potential problems with a vehicle you own. More info please. Happy Trooping !! ;->
  • atltrooper1atltrooper1 Member Posts: 11
    I read your account of towing your new camp trailer. Let me 1st congratulate you on your new purchase and the wisdom to consider a HD2500 as the final solution. I am impressed to hear the Trooper did so well especially considering not only the weight but the frontal area, WOW! I would offer the following you or anyone that tows anything... 1)Plan to change the tranny fluid early, especially after that big trip. 2)I always like to have an auxiliary tranny cooler on anything that tows, 4wheels or sits in traffic. They're a cheap fix that helps to ensure long and trouble free tranny operation. 3)Understand and work with the auto tranny to help it not destroy itself. The torque converter (automatic clutch) has the ability to lock and eliminate heat building, power robbing slip in 3rd and 4th gear. Your tranny is far better off running 60-65mph in 3rd gear with the converter locked than in 4th with the converter unlocked. The engine and cooling system is more than capable of sustaining itself at 3000-3500rpm. If you choose to tow in 4th make sure you're going fast enough to allow the converter to lock. When locked it feels as though your driving a standard shift car in high gear ie. no perceptible change in rpm with slight adjustments of the throttle position. A good rule of thumb is cruise in third and note the gas pedal position then shift to 4th(drive). If it takes more pedal to maintain speed in 4th than it did 3rd use 3rd, if not then 4th is probably OK. When driving through hilly terrain downshift to avoid constant shifting by the transmission.

You may know all this but beleive it to be good advice that may be of help to you or someone else. Enjoy the Trooper and the Camp Trailer!
    Chris L.
    Yep what chris said is true. I find that when I towed the 5200lb car trailer, i was better off doing 75mph in 4th than 65mph. It cruised at the same RPMs that I normally cruise @ 75, so i knew the TC was locked.

-mike
    Chris and Mike:
    Thanks for the tips. I intended to install an additional trans cooler but the service writer I talked to at a local Isuzu dealer told me it wasn't necessary (nor did he think it a good idea). I'll reconsider doing so. It looks like it would be pretty easy to do as all that needs to be done is re-route one of the existing lines thru the aux unit prior to the radiator. As I said, I don't intend to tow this trailer very much with the Trooper, but I'll follow your advice on gear selection and fluid changes. I have almost 5,000 miles on it now, so will look to changing it at 10,000 or a bit sooner. I'll try it with the selector lever in "3" next time - but I dunno about 65 mph...I got over 60, near 65 mph, a couple of times and it just felt like things were starting to float around on me. Could be just my imagination, but 60 mph was the upper limit of my sphincter.
    BTW, I averaged just over 19 mpg going to Richmond and just over 10 coming home ;-)
    Thanks again,
    Charlie
    You do have a big wind footprint. I noticed that with my boat even though it's lighter than towing the car, It gets pushed by the wind more.

-mike
  • tntmythtntmyth Member Posts: 70
    My friend just mentioned the recall with the fuel line for Nov. 2000.....I have a 2001 Trooper S 2WD. Does anyone know if this recall is applicable to my vehicle?

Bulletins for 2001 Isuzu Truck Trooper S 2WD V6-3.5L DOHC MFI

Safety Recalls
    TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title SB00-02-S006 NOV 00 Recall - Fuel Hose Replacement