Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Hey guys, I'm also having issues with gas mileage and rough idle at times. First off, I got larger circumference tires which slowed the odometer reading by 3.27% and I'm calculating that into my mileage figures. However, my mileage has gone from 17's to 12's. I've discussed the problem with my dealer and he said that the ECU re-program is covered under the 3/50k b to b warranty? Has anyone had it done after that? Seems to me it should be a part of the powertrain warranty. Getting ready to go to Oregon next week, and I would like to get it fixed by then. By the way Mike your site is looking good, like mud whomping pics! also that Lund Iterceptor is nice!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The ECU isn't covered on the PT warranty IIRC, so I can see how that could be. Most dealer's I'd think would do it for free though. Thanks, i updated the site so there shouldn't be too many dead links.

-mike
  • troopernewbietroopernewbie Member Posts: 60
    Has anyone added an auxilliary condenser cooling fan to their Trooper? If so, did it help? Are their any other a/c upgrades available?

I'm in Phoenix so a/c is pretty important. We really like our Trooper, but our toddler was soaked with sweat every time we took her our of her car seat last summer. Yep, I already know to use recirc, have dark tinted windows, and use a sun shade!
    What year trooper do you have? The pre '01s didn't have a secondary electric cooling fan in front of the condenser, in '01->'02 they have an extra electrical fan. I'm planning on getting one of those eventually on mine.

-mike
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    I replaced my B-Stone 684's with more of the same. I think I could have run them them to 60 or 65K but the deal was too good to pass up. I paid 79.95 each on sale. They had 10 now they have 6. The Goodrich version of the 245/70/16 stock tire was on sale for 74.95, they have 28 left. I was thinking Michelin but could not rationlize the 120-135 per tire cost. Central NJ location. Email me if you would like the name of the place. Next, anybody do a fuel filter yet? Can you DIY it or is it some pressure-ized thing best left to a mechanic? Cheers to all!
    Beer47@aol.com
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I have a 1995 Trooper with very cold A/C. So this idea is not needed for me. I have looked at roof racks a bunch of times and I ended up installing Thule crossbars at all three factory pre-threaded locations. In considering how to strap on top some kids bikes I considered a 1/8" thick plastic layer applied directly to the roof and hot molded to fit tight against the roof's curves then calked down. Such a layer might provide some insulation from solar heating. That's why I am talking about roof racks on a A/C thread. I did not install the plastic yet since I have not figured out what kind of plastic would hold up to the sun and be able to mold to the shape of the roof.

Maybe there is a basket roof rack that can be made to provide some shade from the Phoenix sun. In Phoenix I don't think platic will last very long on the roof.

Here's a radical high tech solution: Use a roof rack full of solar cells to run a bunch of solid state cooling devices like the ones in 12 Volt electric coolers mounted to the roof under the solar cells. You would need some fans in it to help remove the heat from the outside side of the coolig devices. In winter the same rig could warm the car. You could be the first one on your block with a solar assisted automotive HVAC system.

I am not sure if a roof rack could provide enough shade to make a difference.

Is there a Trooper owner in Phoenix with a full roof rack that could put some stuff up there to block the sun next summer and give a report on how hot the car is inside wih and without roof rack shade?

Thank You
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    I haven't done my Trooper yet. However on another vehicle I would take the gas cap off first to try and vent some pressure. I would also do it when the gas tank was close to empty so as to have less hydrostatic pressure. In addition I would pull the fuel pump fuse and run the engine 30 seconds or so until to it died to try and depressure line. Even then there would always be some liquid in there that would spill out. Consequently I never did the change on a hot engine or around any other ignition sources. I also had a fire extinguisher very handy just in case.

Now on my 99 Trooper I have two other concerns. First, on the other vehicle the access was from above so any spills would fall away from me. On my 99 Trooper the access is from below and any spills could fall or even spray down on me while I am under there. Second, I am concerned that that running a fuel injected engine with the fuel pump off could wreck something. Consequently I am not sure if I am going to do this change myself.

If anybody knows the correct way to do this please let us know.
    I don't know about plastic, but I wonder if anyone has ever installed mirrored film directly to the roof of an SUV. The Trooper's so tall it's not like it would be visible except to passing 18 wheelers.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I haven't done my fuel filter yet, but I have done it on my previous vehicles. breakor, you basically have it right...depressurize the fuel system by pulling the fuel pump fuse and cranking the engine until it dies (if it starts at all). I am not aware of any way this could hurt the engine. Obviously, don't crank the starter so long you burn it up.

You're will get some gas running out of the filter and fuel lines when you pull the old one off, and since as you noted you will be underneath the vehicle, have plenty of rags handy, and wear safety glasses.

Other than that, there isn't anything tricky about it.
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    Just a warning....I was told you should never do what you all are saying ie. pull the FF fuse and run until the Troop stalls. Also after changing the filter you should put the key in and turn it to the level just before ignition and keep it there for a minute. This will allow the pump to pull gas into all the lines where the fuel has leaked out and left empty voids. Just my two cents!
    Didn't know you needed to evacuate the lines. I figured I'd undo the connections dump the fuel into a buck from the lines, and then put in the new filter, and turn the car right over. I'm used to spilling fuel all overmyself from my outboard engine so that doesn't scare me.

-mike
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    My vague recollection (misrecollection?) is that fuel injectors somehow get damaged if they are activated with no pressurized fuel in the line. If correct, that would be a problem with cranking the engine with the fuel pump off.

Then again maybe I am confusing this with the warning not to run the fuel pump with a completely empty tank as that supposedly damages the pump.
    You are correct on that. If you continue to crank the pump when empty it will burn out your fuel pump. The liquid gasoline is used as a coolant for the pump. I've heard that before, mostly on Rodeos, if you keep cranking with no fuel the fuel pump life is reduced.

-mike
  • aimanaiman Member Posts: 61
    I saw on CNN a few days ago and says that the Trooper will be discontinued. I'm sure part of the decision comes from GM (partially owns Isuzu but has pretty strong power in decision making) who doesn't wants to cut down competition.

I think it's very sad. The Trooper is a wonderful but underrated and not mainstream styled SUV.
    WOW. Just spent the day towing around a 2200lb car carrier + 2900lb 280zx. This time I loaded the car onto the trailer so that it had a much better balance (backed it ont he trailer instead of nose in) and it handled like a champ. No bucking, no problems. Other than slower accelerations (and only slightly at that) I didn't even know the trailer was there. Braking was good (trailer had surge brakes) and milage dropped to about 14mpg.

-mike
  • i30g20i30g20 Member Posts: 24
    < $24,000 out the door for 2001 Limited. Factory rep model w/ 5252 miles. Very pleased with this my third (and sadly last) Trooper. My first Trooper had 212k when it died (my fault). It subsequent got a new engine and for a few years I used to see my 1st Trooper (it had an a strange bumper facade partially missing (so I knew it was mine). The second I sold to a bicycle mechanic/mtn bike racer who uses to travel all up and down the E. Coast -- I sold that one with > 175,000 miles. Both were tops in reliability. I'm hoping for the same on new one.
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    reminded me of a mysterious connection I had with my 1977 Suburban (baby blue w/ a white stripe - as featured in a current Chevy commercial w/ girl on ski team). My dad bought it new when I was about 8 yrs. old. I drove it to college in Colorado. It ran perfectly up to about 175k miles, then, I was done with school and bought another car. Dad took it to trade in (get rid of) on a new truck in 1992. It was traded in in Northern Colorado, I saw it about 3 months later sitting on a "Mom and Pop" lot on Federal Blvd. in Denver (distinctive aftermarket rear bumper, and VERY distinctive "dimples" in the front bumper where I rear-ended my friend's VW bug, then pulled it out by hooking up to a tree and backing up!!!! :) ), THEN, get this, I'm in the Buttermilk Ski Resort parking lot (Aspen, essentially) TWO YEARS later, and I see a rough looking guy in MY SUBURBAN!!! Amazing. I started to think I should have kept that thing. It obviously appreciated me. :) Thought I would share. Plus, there is a Chevy/Isuzu connection here.

Jim
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    in PA has 9 '01 troopers for sale around $19K listed in the paper. I think they are/were demo units...
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    been there, done that. Not a big deal. Need to have rags to soak up spilt fuel. Need the new filter close at hand to install quickly. If there's any fuel in the tank it will gravity flow right out the old filter when you disconnect the outlet line. A golf tee makes a good temporary hose plug. Did mine at 55,000 miles and there was no restriction in the filter itself. Evidence of clean fuel history. Like Pasian said, no need to do all those pre-maintenance things. Just go pull the thing and put the new one in. Be sure to observe the direction of flow arrow on the side of the old and new filter. Orient correctly. Count on spilling gas, just be ready for it to prevent a dangerous situation.

About these new CHEAP Troopers... that Limited with a few miles on it sounds like an incredible DEAL!! I just visited my dealer and they have one last NEW 01' which is a Limited. They are offering $7000 off sticker and 0% financing. But the sticker on it is over $33000. I think it's only a 2WD as well. But it is a beauty!!

To my surprise they had 4 low mileage 01" used Troopers. All S models. I don't get it. Why are all these slightly used Troopers showing up?? Downside, everyone of them was the same color scheme. No variety. Happy Trooping !!! ;->
    Well I logged some serious tow time with my Trooper this past weekend. Put on about 400 miles towing a 2100lb car carrier trailer and about 500 miles with a 2900lb car on that trailer. The trooper did very very well. with the 2100lb trailer it was like it wasn't there at all, and this was going from NYC-> Pittsburg over the Mountains of PA. Averaged about 70mph on the way out with top speeds of 80-90+. No control problems etc. On the way back with my new XT6 on it, the only problems I encountered were @ speeds over 70mph on downgrade turns. It had a tendancy to sway a little. I think this was due to the fact that it wasn't 100% weighted properly (backed the car onto the trailer)

I was using 2wd to tow it and had no problems. I flipped on TOD for a few miles of rain. Milage was 15mpg un-ladded (2100lbs) and 12mpg ladden (5000lbs) I have 275-70-16 Pirellis Scorpion AT tires, Rancho 9000 shocks set at 4/front 5/rear during laden rides 4/front 3/rear unladden, and OME rear springs. With the car on the trailer it was about 3/4" from the bump stops with very little sag.

-mike
    I have a new how-to up on http://isuzu-suvs.com it is an install of a woofer system under the rear seats of the troopers.

-mike

• jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    But I'm interested....

Jim
    You came to Pittsburgh and didn't look me up. I guess New Yorkers are snobby ;o) hehe!!!

I know I know.........now is not the time to joke about New Yorkers everyone.
    Didn't know I was coming til the last minute. I was supposed to meet the guy in Harrisburg, but he couldn't make it there and I had already rented the trailer, so we just shot out and back on sunday.

:)

-mike
  • oldpickupoldpickup Member Posts: 7
    Just had my Trooper in for the 30k service package. Dealer did all the usual stuff - rotated the wheels etc.

After being done with it, noticed a clunking from the front left. Upon inspection the dust cap that covers the center of the alloy wheel only has one screw in it. It was loose - hence clunking.

I thought I'd be smart and take one screw from the dust cap on the front right wheel that had all three - but no luck. The mechanics at the dealership stripped the threads in the two empty holes on the front-left. Even though I had the screw there was no thread for it to take on in the hole.

Any of you guys know if this is easily repairable? The dealership is playing dumb with me - doesn't seem to matter that I'm a professional engineer (and I only played that as a last resort).

They're saying they'll just tap the holes out and put in bigger screws. I'm not so happy to do that on alloys. (They want to charge me for this too)

Your opinions would be appreciated ...

So far my dealership has been terrible by the way - I'll name it and shame it soon. They have managed to break sensors on the engine during regular maintenance (lit up my dash like a Christmas tree) - that was on the 15k - and a whole host of other joyful things.

If I wasn't so busy with work and family I'd do the maintenance myself ... am regretting not doing so at the moment.

Frustratedly,

Old Pickup

P.S. Next stop BBB maybe
    Haven't seen you post up here. Welcome to the group. Be sure to check out http://isuzu-suvs.com for good info. I'd ask to speak to the service manager. If that doesn't work, ask for the owner of the dealer. Contact Isuzu and open a file with them. As a last resort you might try a different dealer and see if they could help you out. Larger screws and tapping should be ok, but a new rim is really the only remedy for it to be done properly.

-mike

• randers3randers3 Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2000 S Trooper with 47,000 miles on it. Just recently it started the dreaded pre-ignition pinging. Tried the Chevron fuel jet cleaner with no luck. Went up to 89 octane gas and pinging ended. Went back to the dealer and ask them to reprogram the ECU as several others on the board have done. Happy to say that the Trooper runs better than ever. Almost tempted to have it done ever 30 to 40,000 miles. Using regular gas with no problem, and middle range power from 2000 to 2500 RPM's has never been smoother. Just for everyone's information also had them change fuel filter at a cost of $21.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard! It's great to have another techie in the forums and we're looking forward to hearing lots more from you!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Has anyone else noticed that their antenna comes loose all the time? and Does anyone else have problems with their autodown drivers window not going down all the way the first time?
    Paisan since you seem to be the answer man can you tell me how much my ODOMETER is off now that I went with 265-75-16 tires. I know how much the Speedometer is off and verified using my GPS unit, but now I would like to see how the larger tires are affecting my gas mileage. Any ideas????
    Thanks
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    On Monday I saw somebody selling a set of 5-spoke Trooper wheels on Ebay. Not sure if they are still there, but might be an option for you.
    Ah that one is easy...

1) my antenna never comes un-done, it's in the window :) But my '97 Rodeo's used to come undone until I put an open ended wrench on it and tightened it down securely.

2) http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html is a great tire resource. It will allow you to put in 2 different tire sizes and then it tells you exactly what % your speedo/odo will be off by.

-mike

FYI......There is a good article on the recent Isuzu Challenge on the front page of http://www.fourwheeler.com today.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    I've been experiencing some pinging on my 97' Trooper as well. Was your reprogram covered under warranty or did they charge you a fee? Curious what it cost to have this done, and whether it can be done on a 97'? Anyone else had to pay to have this done? Whats the cost?
  • sdavitosdavito Member Posts: 71
    I would tap your existing rim if I were you. These new threads will be as strong as the originals. A new rim would be serious overkill at this point.

David
  • randers3randers3 Member Posts: 19
    My dealership covered the ECU reprogramming under warranty. They also told me that it doesn't work all the time. So far, after several hundred miles it still runs fine. I will check for you what it would cost out of warranty.
  • montanabill2montanabill2 Member Posts: 36
    Took another board members advice and installed a set of the Sylvania 9004 XV (20% bighter than stock) bulbs in the headlights. Nice improvement - a whiter light that penetrates better but also noticeably improves the side lobe illumination of the headlights. Cost was 11.95 per bulb which is more than the 7.95 I saw posted earlier - at Advance Auto here in Alabama.

Question - When I purchased my 2001 Trooper 4X4 I had installed the multi-function meter in my LS that normally is standard in the Limited ( Temp, Compass, Altitude). I've noticed that the barametric pressure reading is off by almost an inch of Hg. Isuzu dealer cannot get any advice from Isuzu tech support as to how to correct the problem. Has anyone else out there with a Limited observed the pressure reading against their known local conditions? The altitude display can be adjusted by the driver but not the pressure reading.

9500 miles so far and this is the only problem I've had - a great vehicle. Buy the way has anyone noticed that in the owners manual that the delivered new vehicle oil quantity is 5.6 quarts and the subsequent oil change capacity is 5 quarts including filter. Never seen this before. Why not put in 5.6 quarts when changing the oil?
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    I would have to verify the accuracy on my Limited again but I thought that the readout was close. The altitude can be manually adjusted to approximate your current altitude - but only up to less than 10k feet......that as far as it will register.
    I wouldn't overfill the oil above the full line of the dip stick - could cause foaming problems by the crank. I wouldn't think that anyone would push the Troop. hard enough to warrant an aftermarket install of a tray in the oil pan to prevent oil starvation under high g loads. 5 qts. should be more than sufficient for the oiling system.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Click on the chat graphic up top for access.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • serranoserrano Member Posts: 107
    The engine takes more oil when new because the entire system is empty. When you drain the oil, not all of it comes out. That's why only 5 qts. go back in.

Tom
  • sdavitosdavito Member Posts: 71
    I don't buy your take on the .6 quarts remaining in the engine. I guess it could be possible, but I wonder why I haven't noticed this with other vehicles.

David
    Well I finally found what may be my trooper replacement if they ever import it here. While it's no Trooper it's darn close to it!

http://www.autoweb.com.au/id_HYU/doc_hyu0111211/article.html?src=newreleases

Here are the comparisons:

Suspension: rear solid axle with LSD 5-link (just like troopa) front Indypendent wishbone with torson bars (just like troopa)
    Brakes: slightly larger front and rear

size: 2" longer, same height, 2" wider, 2" longer wheelbase

Boxy, just like the troopa

7 passenger

5500lb towing capacity

same ground clearance

222lbs torque peaking at 3000 rpms with 90% available from 1500->5K

AWD with LOW RANGE Transfer case, very TOD-like even uses eltromagnetic clutch pack like the TOD.

Priced in the $24-$25K range or less in Australia!

So if they bring it here, when the time comes I may need to replace the Troopa with this vehicle!

-mike

• gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    One reason could be the fact that the oil filter is not mounted directly to the engine and the .6 of a quart could remain in the tubing to the remote filter location.
  • wheels13wheels13 Member Posts: 51
    Does the 1999 Trooper have the Locking Differential or the Limited Slip Differential?After reading post #3058 at the GMC Envoy site it mentions the G80 Differential and I believe that is the code number for the Isuzu Differential being used in my truck. I believe I would perfer the locking over the limited slip. At the GMC site Eaton has a nice explanation on how each Diff operates. Happy New Year
  • mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    I don't believe the current body style Trooper ever had a locking rear diff. They are all Limited Slip. The only locking differential that really came stock were the older Mitsubishi Montero's.
  • g159g159 Member Posts: 23
    They should import that thing. I can't believe how the SUV market keeps going. I think Lexus is getting another SUV for a total of three. Lincoln is going to get a another SUV.
    The reason you didn't notice this with other vehicles is that they generally don't give you the oil specs for a new engine. Normally, they specify capacity with and without a filter change.

Clearly, .6 qt. is staying in there somewhere. There is no other explanation possible.

Regards,
    Tom
    The previous generation Land Cruiser also had locking diffs. In fact, you could lock the front, center, and rear diffs for an even torque split to all 4 wheels.

Regards,
    Tom