Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    Just a couple inches wider longer and taller than Trooper, but one and a half times as heavy, maybe it has a lead filled box frame for anti roll over ballast like a lead keel sailboat.

see web page www.hummerh2.net

I think the Ascender is not a heavy duty enough vehicle for the current 6L V8 Duramax. It will have to wait till the have a straight five or something to get a Duramax diesel.

The HummerH2 is so heavy that even the 6L V8 gas engine will not make it sporty, it will be like a 1-2 ton truck. The extra 9 inches of width and 44 foot turning circle of the Hummer would make parking a bummer. Off road the width and turning radius would also be a bummer. I think they will have to fix these things (loose >1000lbs, narrower body and/or <40 foot turning radius) before the HummerH2 is ready for prime time. Collectors and eccentrics and radio stations will buy them as is.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Hmm that is strange, he is usually quite knowledgeable...

-mike
  • bosco12bosco12 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '97 with 120,000 rear end has whined since I bought it used. I've changed the lube and all the obvious things. is it expensive to rebuild a rear end, is it something a competent home mechanic can do himself, any other suggestions? thanks for any help.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    After reading that whole sequoia back and forth on 4wd, awd, power and torque, I have a question? If the rear wheels are slipping, and the front's have traction, don't the fronts get 100% of engine torque and power? If there is 235 ft-lbs of torque available, and it only takes 4 ft-lbs to spin the rear wheels on ice (my own guess not based on any facts), would the other 231 ft-lbs be going to the front? If not, where?
    Max front torque is limited to 50%. We went through this a month ago....

-mike
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    Paisan I will be in NYC tonight for a meeting tomorrow at 200 Park Ave. I will keep my eyes open for your Trooper. Hehe. :o)
    Are you driving in?

If so maybe I can meet up with yah for dinner.

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    where was I? I think I remember something about that. Hmmm...Maybe that incident with the F&G warden really messed with my head!
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    The fallacy of your question is that amount of torque CANNOT be generated by an unloaded engine.

Take a step back from your scenario and ask yourself where the torque goes when you have the tranny in neutral. The engine will spin up with very little throttle pressure because there is very little frictional resistance. You might only be generating 5 ft-lbs of torque (my made up number) before the revs max out.

Now put it in 2wd with the rear on ice. Here when the engine puts out say 15ft-lbs (5 for the engine and 10 for the tires, again my made up numbers) the rear tires freely spin and the engine is again rev limited.

Now put it in 4wd with the torque split limited to 50/50 and the front on good pavement. Theoretically the front could handle 100's of ft-lbs. However when the front gets to 10ft-lbs the back is also at 10ft-lbs and the rear starts to freely spin overrevving the engine. To recap - the engine is now at top revs, the rear is spinning, the throttle is only barely open and the engine is only putting out 25ft-lbs.
  • yenoolyenool Member Posts: 1
    I am currently re-assembling a 1987 2.3L engine.
    After referencing Chilton's manual (#36100) I have several questions.
    1) Shouldn't there be a torque sequence for the main brg.'s?
    2) The #3 main brg. has thrust washers/brg's . The package only contained two halves. Do they only go on the brg. cap?
    3) This one is my blunder. When I removed the intake manifold, carb. & head as a assembly from the motor block a bushing/sleeve fell to the floor. It's approx. measurements are:
    3/4" o.d. x 13/16" lg. with 3/8" i.d.
    Any help with these questions is greatly appreciated, you see, this is my WIFES vehicle i am rebuilding, lol...
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    I can't help with your motor specifically, nor do I know what a brg is. I'll just assume you're talking about bearings.

#3 What's your question. Where does your sleeve go, or where can you get a new one? New ones can be found at local industrial stores (kinda hard to find but they have EVERYTHING), or you could make one if worse came to worse. Since it fell from the carb & head assembly, and judging by the dimensions given, I would venture to say it could be a valve guide or something along those lines. But that's just a guess (I didn't think valves were that thick so I'm probably wrong).
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and own a Holden Monterey which is the Australian equivalent of a Trooper LS. Has anyone any knowledge on how to make the TOD system stay in a 50/50 torque split in High range? The system is great as it is while varying torque in its standard form, however on some long dusty tracks as we have here, full time 50/50 in high range would be an added bonus.
    Welcome! It will be great to have an Aussie participating here. :) As to your question, we have been wondering the same thing. Someone on here said that they were going to attempt to wire up a switch that would allow 4-hi 50/50 split so that it can be used in a situation like your. Be sure to checkout http://isuzu-suvs.com

While we've got your ear... Do you know of any cool options/accessories you guys have out there that we could get you to send up? One that comes to mind is a OEM roof rack.

-mike

• cknottcknott Member Posts: 61
    Yeneel,

Typically Main bearings do not require the specific torquing requirements as the cylinder head, however, I have used the following procedure when building motors:

1)Use STP Oil Treatment or similar motor building lubricant on all bearing surfaces and crank journals.
    2)Loosely install the crank with the bearing shells, shims, and caps.
    2)Tighten all bolts such that they are no longer "loose".
    3)Rotate the crankshaft ~ 180 degs
    4)Torque the main bearing caps in the following manner.
    a) Tighten one complete bearing cap to a torque value that is 10ft-lbs less than the max torque specified by the manual.(It does not matter which side of the bearing cap is torqued first or last, however, I would begin with the bearing cap that is the center-most cap within the block)
    b) Rotate the crank ~ 180 degs
    c) Proceed to the next bearing cap and follow a) and then b)
    d) Completely tighten all caps to the above.
    e) Repeat steps a-c, but at the specified torque requirement in the manual.

Sleeve: Please look and see if there is a place for the sleeve that would mate between the head and the block. I have seen in some motors that this sleeve is used as the "high pressure" oil passage from the block to the head. Looking down at the top surface of the block, determine if there is a location in the block that would allow for the installation of this sleeve.

Sawas,

I am investigating the procedure for utilizing 50/50 torque split on our TOD Troopers. I will post my results whether I have been successful or not, but will probably need through the end of April to have a Saturday to evaluate and "wire" the TOD for evaluation.

Welcome to the board Sawas, Also, we would like information on the third seat available there. Do you have "junk yards"(The places wrecked automobiles go) easily available? Any information you can provide us in regard to OEM roof racks and OEM third seats would be great.
    Guys,

Looking forward to exchanging ideas and views. As for OEM gear, there is not a hell of a lot to chose from. There is some good aftermarket equipment though. As for as roof racks go, ARB make a good unit and that should be available in the states.

The Jackaroo SE and Monterey comes standard with third-row seats. There is a place in Melbourne that buys these seats from people that don't need them and resells them to owners of the "poverty pack" Jackaroo that doesn't have a third row. The web site for this place is

http://jackworld.alphalink.com.au.

Make sure you get the floor attachments at the same time. You will find the mounting holes under the wheel arch carpet on the right side of the car, and under the side trim and wheel arch carpet on the left.

I'll post some relevant web sites a bit later. Gotta go now

Hi all,

There are some web sites that maybe of interest, about Jackaroos in Australia. I've listed them below -

http://www.australiansafari.com.au - Jackaroo's just keep wining this race through the Australian outback. One particular Jackaroo runs this race at over 140mph.

http://www.grt.au.nu - The Garland Racing Team

http://teamjackaroo.au.nu - Some detail on the 1998 Playstation Round Australia Rally, which the Jackaroo team had 1 - 2 win.

http://www.holden.com.au/app/serve?page=holdenRallyHome - The new Holden Rally Team site

http://www.holden.com.au - The Holden web site

http://www.geocities.com/jackaroo4wdclub - The Jackaroo 4WD Club of Australia - NSW branch

How is ECB bars and racks regarded in Australia? Just curious cause I have a nudge bar from them and love it. Thinking of upgrading to a full Bull-bar version.

-mike
    Mike,

I don't see too much ECB around here. There is some, and is ECB is a reputable and highly regarded manufacturer. Most bullbars seem to be from ARB or TJM.

I have a rally nudge bar from Bocar, which I think lifts the appearance of my car (nick named Monty ... short for Monterey). Check out http://www.bocar.com.au/holdset2.html. This bar seems to be very popular on Jackaroos. ECB have a similar one. The ECB is 63mm tube while the Bocar is 76mm and is chunkier in appearance.

I do like the ECB Seies 2 flash bar though. Now if I can convince the wife.....

I have the nudge bar ins 76mm, but it's a single tiered one rather than the 2-tiered one.

-mike
    I have snapped some photos of the series 2 bar and will be able to send them out this weekend. Paisan can I send them to you to post on your site? What e-mail address should I use? Believe it or not I have had some private e-mails from people who have seen my posts and they too want me to send the pics along.
    I'd love to put em up!

mike@iace.com

-mike

PS: I did the install on my buddy's father-in-law's truck. We had to use only 3 of the 4 bolts and 1 of the bolts we needed to get a longer one (just slightly longer) to make it fit. I snapped some shots in http://isuzu-suvs.com/events under installfest.

• jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    1. How do you get such crisp digital pictures in such low light? My Olympus D490Z is SO finicky in even moderate light.

2. Who did you kill with the dark Trooper's passenger side rear view mirror? Whereas I wouldn't normally be a fan of chrome accessories, that nudge bar looks good with his mirrors, etc.

3. Where the hell is the WRX's intercooler? And why does he have so many scuffs on his car already? Those pictures would make the OCD club at Subaru Crew go into a panic! I take it you got his OEM wheels onto the XT? AWD4ME, I love it!

Jim
    1) No idea how the pics come out so good. It's a Nikon 775, set to automatic setting, 800x600 @ Fine resolution

2) I'm not a fan of the chrome either, but with the Limited's chrome mirrors it goes well

3) They had to take the IC out to put his downpipe in. That WRX has only 2800 miles on it! The WRX rims on the XT6 are actually a different person's I bought them for $240 with the tires :)

-mike
    I've been shopping for tires lately for the Turbo, and it sure is tempting to grab some OEM WRX wheels/tires like you did. Inch taller and all, wider too. What do you think, Paisan?

Jim
    They just fit w/o rubbing. Once the rubber is gone, I'll replace the 205-55-16s with 205-45-16 so that my speedo is back to normal. They do handle nicely. Anything is better than the 14x5.5 rims I had on there wearing 205-60-14s. WRX rims are cheap cause they are only 16x6.5 instead of 16x7 of the RS, but for those with only 5.5 or 6 width it's an upgrade.

-mike
    if I can find a price similar to what you got, it's less than the plus zero tires ALONE that I'm looking at.

Jim
    Speaking of which ready to sell yet? I just sold my grey XT6 and have some $ burning a hole in the pocket :) It's either yours of my aunt's SVX whichever comes first.

-mike
    but, I keep coming full circle and saying to myself, "why do I really want to sell this, it's never given me any trouble, and I love the car, so, not right now". There's a guy from iClub that owns a 1990 Legacy N/A AT who just moved to Houston and I think he really wants to buy mine someday, but I've already told him that "somebody else" has first dibs.

Jim
    :) I'm loving the 5-speed XT6 even with the slipping clutch, can't wait for the good clutch to go in this weekend.

-mike
  • troopernewbietroopernewbie Member Posts: 60
    I know there's a condenser fan on the newer Troopers, but does anyone have any real world experience comparing an old Trooper vs a new Trooper in very hot climates?

When the change was made to climate control, was the fan blower improved at all?

Our '98 has 50K miles and runs flawlessly, but I'm getting apprehensive about another Arizona summer in the Trooper. We have very dark tint and use a sun shade, but the a/c doesn't cut it here. The a/c shops say it's running fine. If I were to buy a newer Trooper I'd rather do it now than try to sell ours when the temperature is 110 degrees here!
    I have the 00 Trooper and it does fine in hot humid NYC summers. Although I believe that my buddy's 01 Trooper does slightly better (lower fan setting) due to the extra condensor fan.

-mike
    I wanted to say thanks for Jinxing me to those of you who were talking about the cracked windshields a week ago. I got in my car last night at the airport and turned the heat on and wouldn't you know it......the star in my windshield shot out both directions and put a crack the whole way across my windshield.

Thanks for the Jinx job.
    sorry bout the window. Any idea as to how much it will run to fix/replace?
  • sdavitosdavito Member Posts: 71
    The A/C in my 2000 Trooper absolutely sucks. The dealers in this area say the most everyone complains about them, but there isn't anything that can be done to help. BTW, I'm in the Tampa area 90° - 95° typical summer day. I couldn't imagine this vehicle in a hotter climate.

David
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I have a 1995 Trooper-S and the A/C has always gets cold real fast and keeps it that way. I usually use the cold knob all the way blue and the fan on second from lowestsetting. My wife turns the cold knob up about 45 degrees to get the air a little warmer when she drives and she makes me do it sometimes she says the kids will catch a cold if I don't. Maybe the manual transmission not dumping heat to the radiator helps a little, maybe not. Mine works fine.
    It works great for the front two passengers, but the back is lacking. The a/c is freezing right from the get go too (Phoenix, San Diego is about the hottest I drive in). When I want the air to be warmer I open up the air-intake to be mixed or completley outside if so inclined. I don't like it when it gets stuffy cuz it's on recirculate.

I don't even have tinted windows on mine, although I would like them (when I get some money).
    Guys, I have a 2000 model and the a/c is usually ok. This includes spending some time last summer in tropical regions of far north New South Wales and Queensland. Outside daytime temperature rarely fell below 98 deg F (35 deg C)and it regularly got upto 110+ deg F (40+ deg C). I wouldn't say the a/c was great, but it was more than adequate. Climate control has since been released, but as the Trooper has quite a large interior, I would have much preferred to see dual a/c. I know it's available somewhere in the world, because the fuse boxes are labelled for rear a/c and pre-wired for it.
    Does your 2000 model have the electric fan in the front? I believe you guys get everything a model year ahead of us. Dual A/C is available as an option in Japan IIRC.

-mike
    Hey! You're on at the same time! It's 7:40am Saturday in Sydney.

Doesn't have the electric fan at the front. We actually get things after the US.
    is this an option on the 2002 States Trooper?
  • arktrooper1arktrooper1 Member Posts: 101
    my 2000 S's a/c is ok but not great here in northwest arkansas...my assessment is pretty much like dilectric's...better in front than in back...when i get a few xtra bucks next month, im getting the windows tinted, a windshield band and i think ill put a small Hella turbo fan in back to help circulate the air...speaking of Hella...a couple of weeks ago i had one of my Hella replacement headlight bulbs go out on me...they are not the higher output version that paisan uses, but rather the 45/65 watt...anyway, i didnt want to get a ticket so i went to wal-mart and bought a single "high output" GE replacement, thinking, "there cant be that much difference!...how wrong i was!!...the remaining Hella Optilux bulb has a wider beam, both vertically and horizontally AND is much whiter to boot!...so...next week im going to order another pair (so ill have one spare) from Dan at Susquehanna Motor Sports..."accept no substitutes!":)...Dave

btw...whats with "heatwave" and his self proclaimed knowledge on Isuzu and Toyota 4WD systems?...i went to the Sequoia board and got so annoyed reading his misinformation that i had to leave!...geeezzzeeee!!!...he should stick to what he knows, GM!
    no dual AC in the NA Troopers. In Japan (check out the options on http://isuzu-suvs.com) you can get things like camping sinks, and all kinds of stuff for troopers!

Heatwave is usually a standup guy, but I had to smack him into place on the TOD system. :)

-mike

PS: It's Ken @ Susquehanna :)

• arktrooper1arktrooper1 Member Posts: 101
    ok...lol...i stand corrected!...glad to know that about heatwave, i was worried we might have another "crank" on our hands!....btw...IIRC, when the first bar is lit on the TOD display the torque to the front wheels can be 5 - 15%, when two bars are lit, 15-35%, and all three, 35-50%...seems like there was a lot of discussion on this matter a couple of years ago when a lot of us were buying our Troopers and the above figures stick in my mind...correct me if im wrong (and im sure someone will if i am:))...kind of neat with all of us on at the same time this afternoon isnt it?!...great to have someone in Austrailia in the group too!...btw, sawas_e, thanks for the interesting links! ...Dave
    I thought that it was:

no lights: 0-15%
    1 bar: 15-30
    2 bar: 30-45
    3 bar: 50-50

or it could be:
    no lights: 0-5
    1 bar: 5-15
    2 bar: 15-30
    3 bar: 30-50

-mike
  • ramblinonramblinon Member Posts: 80
    2001 Limited. Just returned yesterday from a trip from Virginia Beach, VA to Appleton WI. The truck performed flawlessly in the rain when departing and through the snow as reaching the more Northern states. Experienced snow while in WI and heavy snow when departing WI into MI. At the 1760 mile mark and a gas fillup I added 1/4 quart of 5W30. Averaged 19.3 MPG. TOD was engaged for nearly the entire trip due to weather.
    Went with the flow of traffic and 75 to 80 MPH was quite common. Experienced blowing winds and snow and while I could certainly confirm the Trooper is not a low profile vehicle I really had no problems and compensated speed when needed.

Just me and the wife and full load of luggage and my usual "survival" gear onboard.

It was a comfortable and very safe feeling trip. The only problem is that the wife now likes the Trooper even more.

I appreciated the large windshield fluid resivoir as when I added the 1/4 qt of oil I also added nearly a gallon of washer fluid.

I did not see but a couple of Troopers in the WI and MI areas (on the turnpikes) but Rodeo's were more prevelent. No rattles funny sounds etc.

I did see several Trailbazers and that dog will have to prove that it can hunt with a Isuzu badge.

I must simply repeat that I love this truck. Do wish I had heated wipers at one point but that is it. Also, my black Trooper is now almost solid salt white so I have my work cut out for me today.

Ed

Ed
    Just finished helping my salesman buddy sell a trooper. Since my dealer is not stocking any 2002 Troopers and doesn't have any in stock, I am now the official test-drive vehicle for him. The couple loved my truck and were suprised at how solid it was after 36K miles! Also they were even more suprised that it was that tight after seeing the on-line video @ http://isuzu-suvs.com last night and came back today to buy one! :)

-mike

• ramblinonramblinon Member Posts: 80
    are in stock in Virginia Beach, VA. Before my trip I saw perhaps 8 of them; 2 were the pearl like white Limited models with a sticker of 37,600. They had the running board bars and the Nachimachi (sp) radio.

Mike, anyone seeing your video and then experiencing no rattles would have to be impressed. Plus, who wouldn't buy a Trooper from you :).

Ed
    I think they liked the personal service, we actually had to go to my other buddy's house where he is living with his in-laws who have a 2001 limited, cause they guy had a bad back and wanted to try out the leather seats. Both my buddy and his father in-law bought troopers after driving mine.

-mike
    The mgr at the dealer said that the Assender/TB XL/Envoy XL are all being delayed til late fall due to crash safety problems. How nice.

-mike
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Your dealer actually is willing to arrange for past customers to bring in their Troopers so new buyers have something to test drive? That sounds like a long way to go for new customers. I'm impressed. I take it your dealer doesn't typically have any used Troopers on its lot?