Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I am interested in the Austrailian OEM seats as well. I have the very sturdy littlepassengerseats non-folding 3rd row seat with 3 seat belts mounted rear facing, the kids love it. Taking it out is four bolts, about ten minutes. The OEM folding seats would be nicer I think because they make it quick to get back my load floor. But then, I would go down from eight seats to four, but the kids are getting bigger and littlepassengerseats will buy back my used seat when the kids grow out of it... Hmmm...
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    This topic has come up, either here or at itog.com, a few times in the past. I've heard several good things about their seats. They basically deliver on what they claim. The seat fabrics are remarkably close to the OEM (I've heard that in many cases they get the fabric from the same supplier as the vehicle manufacturer does), build quality is good, etc.

We now have a minivan too, so we're not in the market for a 3rd row Trooper seat.

What's the AUS/US exchange rate? Just curious to know how much $770AUS is in U.S. $.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    99tropper, I had this problem on my 98 Trooper. Dealer replaced the CD changer under warranty, no questions asked.

I've heard a few folks mention similar problems on this forum. Considering the relatively small number of folks who post here, I'd say it's probably a fairly common problem.

hey, did you misspell "trooper" in your user name on purpose?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Is about .52US $ So $770 is about $350, but shipping is also about $700+ AUS + Tarriff etc.

-mike
  • seanreidseanreid Member Posts: 152
    If the Australian seats are about $800 USD (all in) then it would seem to me that they'd be the way to go (for my uses). The fact that they're specially designed for the vehicle and have headrests is a nice advantage.

A local Isuzu dealer was kind enough to lend me a used 2001 Trooper overnight for a 300 miles test drive. He knows what I am looking for and understood that, since it lacked a sunroof, the particular example I drove wouldn't be one I'd buy. I was particularly interested in long-distance comfort/mpg and so took it to Burlington, VT and back. Overall it was as comfortable as my Suburban and got 17 mpg @72-75 mph. I do a lot of driving so I can't pretend for a minute that I'll stay to 60 mph on the interstate. It does make me think that with backroad driving at 50 mph, the mileage would likely stay at 17 which is a decent number all things considered. I brought it back to the dealer this morning nice and clean with a full tank of gas.

The Toyota dealer lent me a 1998 4runner (w/o sunroof) for last weekend and it got 19 mpg on a similar trip. I have no idea why I am getting so lucky with dealers. In both cases, I offered to pay a "rental charge" for these long test drives and both dealers refused.

The Suburban would do 14-15 mpg on the same kind of trip. I'd like 25, but 17 is workable.

Sean
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Thanks. I have been waiting on a sale on these. Ordered via phone since I could not get the web order page to ring up the free one. He quoted me $217.90. Not sure where he got that. Surprised they did not hit me with tax since their page lists a 'Performance Center' retail shop here in Memphis. If they add the $5 handling that is separate from free shipping it will be closer to $225, still great. The stock shocks with 33,000 miles are more 'noticeable' all the time :-).

Tires will be next later this year. Can't stand much more of the Bridgestones. BTW, vehicle is a 2wd '00 Trooper LS.

In case anyone else has the problem ordering, I called the following # under customer service: (877) 474-4821 (Internet)
    Which model did he lend you? Was it an LS w/o Roof or was it an S model? If it was an S model the LS/performance package models have an even more comfy set of seats in them.

-mike
  • fasterthanufasterthanu Member Posts: 210
    No more real Trooper by the end of this year. The next 'Trooper' will be a re-badged GMC Envoy. That's a pity. At least the current Trooper has been around for awhile. I prefer the older Trooper II in styling - was close to that of the great SUVS of the 80s: Montero and Range Rover.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Isuzu is considering a lower base price for the upscale Axiom sport-utility and repositioning the Rodeo as an entry-level sport-utility with an optional diesel engine in model year 2005, Isuzu's chief U.S. product planner said Tuesday."

Isuzu Considers Recasting Lafayette, Ind.-Made Sport Utility Vehicles

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Hi Mike,

I borrowed an "S" model and those seats gave me lots of headroom. Today, I took a Limited for a short test drive and discovered that those seats (even set to their lowest position) put my head up against the sunroof frame. Headroom was one of the things I liked so much about the Trooper. I'm really hoping that that the LS model's seats don't put me so high up because if they do, it's as a bad a problem as the 4runner and I'm back to square one. So, I'll need to find an LS to "test sit" real soon. Thanks for the info.

- Sean
    Where are you located? I'm in NYC if that helps.

-mike
    Do you have an LS? I'm in Rockingham, VT which is just north of Brattleboro in the southeastern corner of the state. Where's your upstate place? Let's talk further off list, I'm at sreid@sover.net

Thanks,

Sean
  • amigo_johnamigo_john Member Posts: 107
    Sign me up. I've been waiting for a new diesel Isuzu for 15 years! Why would one of the best diesel engine manufacturers in the world have gas only in their sport utility lineup? It doesn't make sense. The Golf and Jetta TDI's are hot sellers right now with rising fuel prices. I guess people are too wimpy to try driving a diesel. Personally, I love the smell of diesel in the morning! Pulling up next to the noisy big rigs to fuel up is a lot more macho than gassing up next to a minivan playing a Barney tape.
  • mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    This is an interesting newswire article. It is from 1997 and indicates that BW already had produced 1million TOD units by that time...to FORD? Plus it talks about 4w high for off-road use.

http://www.prnewswire.com/micro/BWA

Look at the December 22, 1997 date, about 3/4 of the way down.

I beleive B&W calls all their auto-engaging T-cases TOD. I did hear that Ford had a version of TOD but not sure of the specs on their unit.

-mike
    To tell them not to mess up this opportunity to revolutionize SUV engines in the USA. Very important, they must offer the Rodeo diesel at lower cost than the six cylinder gasoline model. Since the diesel is four cylinder it should be less expensive to make than the gasoline six.

In other words, they must introduce the diesel as a low cost of ownership, smart car buyer's choice. And emphasize Isuzu's diesel experience.

Please tell Joe Isuzu that 4cyl 179hp diesel is not as he calls Isuzu's "sexy". Instead say that the Rodeo has an Isuzu Duramax High Torque High MPG engine. The number of cylinders and low Hp numbers should be left in the background as information not to advertise.

The Rodeo can be advertised as the most environmentally friendly SUV with probably 30MPG.

I just hope they can stay alive as an SUV company and this opportunity to become extremely popular in the US with traditionally anti SUV because of MPG people is not waisted.
    Let's hope this turns them around. IMHO they should offer diesels across the board Axiom and Rodeo both. Also it should be a v6 4.0 so that the HP and torque figures are high.

-mike
    I think Isuzu can make a real nice nitch selling diesel models of several GM vehicles. All of them with a little less luxery than the GM brands but with added utility and diesels.

The Rodeo 3L duramax for $15000 33 greenSUV MPG
    The Isuzu Silhouette 3L duramax minivan 40MPG
    The Isuzu Safari 4L duramax medium van 30MPG
    The Isuzu Full size van with Duramax 4L and 6L 24MPG
    The Isuzu Full size camper chassis with Duramax
    Isuzu can direct sales efforts at fleets for lower cost of ownership through better MPG and longer life.

Isuzu would synonomous with diesel.
    That could work.

-mike
    They can pretest the diesels in the USA by taking prepaid orders for diesel Troopers for sale to us to test them here, to see if they can be made to pass emissions tests.

I think the diesel should be as economical to buy as it can be and the 3L 4cyl will be plenty of power for a midsize SUV. Add some hybrid boost and it will be overkill on power and very economical to own. So I think they should avoid a V6 diesel untill they gain acceptance of diesels and become known for incredibly good MPG and durability.
    either in their corp office or marketing they'd be a 1/2 way decent contendor. Too bad I didn't win the lotto, could have bought isuzu!

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I was leafing through a 4WD mag at a newstand the other day, and I saw an ad for a Explorer Pro Comp shock that is ADJUSTABLE. Has a knob on it much like a Rancho 9000.

I think it will be available later this year.
    What is so hard about getting a diesel to market? VW doesn't seem to have any problems with production. And what about the big Dodge and Ford trucks with the diesel option. It didn't take a 3 year lead time to get them out there. I'm afraid Isuzu will be dead by 2005 if they wait that long.
    Amigo John, what are you talking about? Dodge, GM and Ford have always had diesel engine options in their pickups. Same goes for VW. Do you know how difficult it is to get an engine EPA certified? That is why it took so long for subaru to get the WRX over here, they had a lot of EPA problems. I'm sure not being one of the big-3 it doesn't help much. Remember everyone, even the EPA is on the take.

-mike
    I meant the VW TDI when I was talking about the 3 year lead time. I was typing about too many things at once :) I'm just frustrated because I had been hoping they would have a diesel option by now. I'm tired of spending all of my money at the pump. Isuzu probably wouldn't sell many diesels anyway as everyone seems to be scared of them.
    though has been selling diesels for a long time in the states back to the golfs IIRC.

-mike
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    There were diesel Rabbits.
    My dad once borrowed one as a company car to drive a few hundred miles. It was summer and it could either run the A/C or make it up to the speed limit of 55 MPH on the flat. He said it would make a 35hp VW Bug look like a hot rod. He did not complete the trip, he turned back and got a useable car.

I remember a couple winters about a decade ago when I regularily helped a VW Rabbit diesel get moving after it got too cold to start.

Those are all problems of ancient diesels. Modern diesels are far more user friendly. The Isuzu 4 cylinder diesel is what those small cab-over box truck use. They have plenty of power even for that big parachute of a box truck. The 3L 4cyl turbo diesel that lurks under the hood of most Troopers in the rest of the world has 250 ftlb of torque at only 1900 RPM, that's more torque than the 3.5L V6 gasoline engine. The only reason diesels have a low Hp rating is they have a lower redline RPM and Hp is nealy linearly related to RPM because each cylinder firing adds a little more power and the quicker you have more cylinder firings the more power per unit time which is what hp is.
    we agree to take them in for an emmissions test every 3000 miles and submit that data to EPA to do the testing for them. If any added emissions stuff is needed it will be added to these 100 units.

I guess I am dreaming of getting the Trooper factory to crank out some diesel Troopers to US specs quickly before the factory is entirely shifted to medium size trucks.

Maybe if Isuzu becomes really big in terms of making money on diesels they will come out with a new Isuzu Trooper say in 6 years or so. Our Troopers will last that long so they have time to get a new Trooper model.
    They have been around since the late 70's. The TDI was a complete redesign. The 1.5 Rabbits were 48 HP, the 1.6 Golf a whopping 52 and the 1.6 turbos were 68. The TDI has 90 HP, I believe. The old diesel used the same block as the gas rabbit with few modifications. It was primitive by today's standards but bulletproof.

Don't let the 90 HP fool you. The TDI Golf drives like a sports car.
    I have a friend owns a bolt warehouse and has 2 Isuzu flatbed cabover diesels. One has well over 250k and he can't say enough good things about them.
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    You know, for my purposes a cabover diesel could replace my Trooper/trailer rig... could I get a third row seat for the kids in the bed? I'll bet the MPG isn't much worse than my Trooper. :0)
    I asked a guy a long time, maybe 5 years ago what MPG he was getting with a light load in the box truck he said about 15MPG combined city/highway. THe MPG is probably much better now with the modern electronic fuel injectors under computer control. They don't just squirt the fuel in all at once, they start with a little to light the fire before top dead center and add the rest when the power stroke begins. This pulsed fuel injection also greatly reduces the knocking sound because the main explosion does not start while the piston still hads to go more into compression.
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    Guys,

Have a read of these links to get an idea of the diesel's capabilities-

http: //www.fishingmonthly.com.au/4wd/holden/jackaroo-se/Holden-Jackaroo-SE.html

http: //drive.fairfax.com.au/content/19990611/reviews/review1.html

The fact that diesels generally don't have as much power as petrol always clouds the issue that power is not the most important thing in an SUV. It's torque that is important, and generally diesels have bucket loads of it.

Also, the 3.0L 4cyl TDI is not co-designed by GM. So it may not be a real Duramax. It has a Caterpillar designed high pressure injection system (and cylinder head, I think). The rest is rock-solid pure Isuzu.

Isuzu's strengths have always been in trucks and diesels. And points such as this should not be lost when marketing this stuff. In the early 70's, Land Rover were assembling vehicles in Australia and instead of using their own diesel engines, they were installing Isuzu engines. These days, those vehicles with the Isuzu engines are sought after and have higher resale values than even some 80's Land Rovers.

I don't believe it is emissions that are the problem in the US. Quite simply, an auto transmission option wasn't available until very recently on this motor. This would be a marketing issue in the US, for sure.

The 3.0 Jackaroo doesn't accelerate as quickly as the petrol 3.5. It is only a second slower to 60mph, though. But the petrol 3.5 doesn't tow anywhere near as well as the 3.0 TDI. Also, once the TDI has its speed up, it will cruise along up and down hills all day with fewer gear changes than a petrol.

The Monterey (or Trooper LS) has been released with the diesel only in the last year or so, when the auto became available.

One thing to be aware of with diesels. They are extremely susceptible to fuel quality, and diesel fuel itself is susceptible to algae and other contamination.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    The gas (petrol) powered engine is very good. Is there any reason to go to diesel other than gas mileage? Reviews from such sites as worldoffroad.com often say it is good with the diesel, but with the gas powered even better.
    I'm delighted with my V6. But if I was doing -

1.Lots of heavy towing
    2.Lots of long on and off-road trips (with big distances between fuel stops)

- I would then go with the diesel. It is far more robust and reliable than the V6 for the heavier duty work. Has way more torque low down and the improved mileage is always a bonus.

In Australia it is sometimes easier to get diesel than petrol in remote areas. The reason for this is that petrol that is in storage for more than a month or so, starts to break down and produces some damaging compounds. Diesel itself does not breakdown so readily, but as I mentioned in an earlier posting, has its own problems. These can normally be overcome with additional filtering at the fuel station or on the vehicle. The petrol problems can only be solved by ensuring a quick turnaround in storage.

For around town, with the occasional trip away, I'd stick with the V6.
    ...and the bonnet scoop for the intercooler looks pretty cool too!
    You do have to change the fuel filter more often. Most have a water drain on the fuel filter. Some also have a plastic tank by the main tank that catches water in it too. You can actually take the injectors off my VW, take them apart and clean them. The fuel pump keeps most diesels from going over 4500 RPM so the engine lasts longer and the diesel itself is an excellent top end lubricant so cylinder wear is not as bad as gas.

I have put in free leftover kerosene before and sometimes pour a quart of transmission fluid in the fuel to keep the injectors clean. You can even run some diesels on used cooking oil. Check out www.greasel.com
    As long as its unsaturated fats, it shouldn't give your motor too much heart problems! Haha!

Seriously though, I have heard some amazing stories as to what people do with their diesels and get away with.

The one absolute no-no that I know of is not to use any solvent based fluids in the fuel, such as petrol. A lot of components just will not stand up to solvents and will fall apart very quickly.

Also, I have heard that the Isuzu 3.0l is particularly sensitive to fuel quality. So it may not be as "abuse-able" as some other engines.

Some days ago someone was writing about a place in Oz that will do the third row for about AU$700. What's the place? I'll check it out for you.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I still remember that it had the slowest 0-60 time ever recorded by Car & Driver magazine, just under 30 seconds!

Ya gotta wonder if it could even maintain 60 mph up a hill...
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I am not sure the gas powered one could manage 60 MPH up hill. My parents had one, probably the one of the crappiest cars ever. We had to park it on the top of the driveway to roll start it every morning. I think that was the last "true" American car my parents ever bought. I say "true" because I think more toyotas are assembled in the US than GM's.
  • philbraphilbra Member Posts: 9
    I'm a little blind to the full discussion, so please understand if I seem in the dark.

The only diesel would have to be a direct-injection system with loads of torque to have a chance to compete in the U.S. market due to the "typical" american driver - passing, freeway entrances, etc.

As a previous FJ40(petrol) and Mercedes 300SD(Diesel) owner, I understand totally the desire for a torque-bearing, fuel-efficient vehicle. I just don't see an Isuzu diesel making it to commuter applications(yes, they do have the commercial trucks with them, but emissions standards are way more lenient).

What the Trooper needs is either a better performing V6 or a compact V8 similiar to the Tundra. Although, since the next Trooper (Ascender) will be nothing more than a TrailBlazer, it's a dead topic in MY opinion.

Later mates
  • philbraphilbra Member Posts: 9
    You're correct. More "foreign" cars and trucks are made in the U.S. than the Big 3.

Sad, but true.
  • konghhkonghh Member Posts: 20
    I would agree that diesel may not suit the typical american as mentioned by philbra. I had a '87's 2.2 liter indirect injection diesel that a pain in the bad side whenever I encountered a hill. I could probably walk faster than the Trooper when going uphill. Then I had a wonderful 2.8 liter direct injection turbo diesel that's a jewel. It's powerful and economical. That was followed with my present '97 3.1 liter INDIRECT injection (talking about going backward technologically) turbo intercooled Trooper. And yes, it does have the scoop on the hood someone mentioned earlier. Because of the more inefficient indirect injection and heavier weight, it will take about 25 seconds to reach 60 mph. So do the typical american still wanted one :)

I haven't driven the latest 3.0 liter turbo intercooled diesel with the common rail injection. From the spec, it should work wonders.
    I had a friend who kept praying for a 'vette and after several years of steadfast prayer he was rewarded with a 'vette. A Che-Vette. I think I'd rather drive a Yugo or Vega than a Chevette. It had to be the biggest piece ever made. A Pinto felt spacious compared to it. I did have one blow my doors off once, only to find out it had a 2.2 w/turbo out of a Daytona transplanted in it complete with hood scoop.

Unbelievable that they would make a diesel. Ford also made a diesel escort. You had to replace the head every 3 months or 3000 miles cause it cracked that often.
  • kjmcgirlkjmcgirl Member Posts: 12
    Hi all,

I am trying to install the Hidden Hitch on my 2001 Trooper. I've taken the 3 bolts available on the frame (2 14mm's, and 1 17mm) but still need 2 more 17mm bolts. Did everyone just go buy their own? or was this supposed to come in the kit. I ordered from JC Whitney, and it came with nothing but the frame, not even directions, which I don't really need, but makes me feel like I have an incomplete order?

Thanks for any tips,

Also, 4 wire or 6 or 7? What do they mean, I bought the 4 wire electrical connection, and hope I won't need the 6 or 7 wire. What's the difference?

-Kevin
    A seven wire connector (which is circular) will allow you to wire the various trailer lights as well as an electric trailer brake and an extra "hot" line for lights in the trailer,etc. If you aren't going to use electric trailer brakes, you only need a flat four connector. If you later add trailer brakes, you can easily run the additional wires needed and swap the male mount on the receiver.

Sean
    It's 8:30am on Monday and I'm in the office, so I'm a bit slow.

I've missed something in this stream about diesels. The 3.0l tdi engined Jackaroo takes about 11 seconds to get to 100km/h (60mph), only a second slower than the V6. (In Australia, anyway).
    It's a bit hard for me to believe a diesel could do that. Granted all my previous and present Isuzu diesel are less powerful etc.., I don't think it's possible. From my experience in driving diesel, diesel ALWAYS losses out in the 0 - 60mph timing bid time and never by a mere second. IMO, it might be possible to get down to maybe 15 seconds or so. What it could sometime beat the petrol version would be during cruising overtaking in the 40 to 70 mph speed range or when engine rpm is between 2200 to 3500 rpm region. That happens to be just after the turbo kicks in. my 2 cts.
    http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/cars/roadtests/car_rr_test_holdenjacm.shtml

Finally found the article related to the 3.0TDi performance. The auto version took 17.1 sec to reach 100 kph.