Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    My original tires were the GoodYear "AP" 245/70/16 I think, they were sort of OK on road but not much good off road, but they lasted 60K miles. Then I went to GoodYear RFA "RotationFreeAquatread" 245/75/16. The RFAs are heavier and I did notice a loss of MPG around town. I changed out the RFAs after only 45K miles even though there was a lot of tread left there was not much traction left, I tow a 4000# trailer and I need stopping power on pavement. I think the RFAs either are made of harder rubber under the top layer or the rubber got harder over time causing a loss of traction. Then I went to the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 255/70/16 they run quieter than the RFAs and the handling is better and stop a lot better. My city MPG is back up to averaging around 16.5 MPG with just me in it. Highway miles are harder to determine because I seem to have a different load all the time, trailer, or 6 people or stuff on the roof rack etc... generally highway MPG is between 11 MPG and 20 MPG usually two or three MPG better than city.

I have a 1995.5 Trooper 5 speed manual 3.2L SOHC with all synthetic lubrication and DirectHits.

DirectHits are a huge benefit if you have spark plug wires and you use the Trooper with heavy loads like pulling a trailer, without DirectHits 9.9MPG and the engine was struggling with DirectHits 11.2 MPG and the engine seems happy to work that hard, gas pedal not to the floor as much. check it out at http://www.directhits.com

• peterismepeterisme Member Posts: 68
    To, those who installed Rancho 9000 on their Troopers by themselves:

Would you guys give me some tips on how to install Rancho 9000?

Since my local mechanics surprised me by quoting $300 for putting Rancho 9000 on my trooper, I am considering to do it myself.

Can you give me a list of tools you used when you install Rancho 9000 on your Trooper (especially those powered ones)

To measure the skill required to install Rancho 9000, what level will you rate it? (for exmaple at a scale of: 1 = changing tire, 2 = changing oil, ..., 5 = install brakes, ..., 10 = service auto transmission)

Thanks a lot!
  • chiefdocchiefdoc Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the input, I'll be getting my Michelin tires tomorrow. Shocks next!
  • zutrooperzutrooper Member Posts: 66
    Installing the rancho 9000s was realtively simple. I did not jack vehicle or remove tires. All that is needed:

19mm or 3/4" box end wrench
    19mm or 3/4" socket
    ??mm deep socket
    ratchet wrench
    breaker bar
    penetrating oil
    eye protection

First of all, make sure you wear eye protection. Spray penetrating oil on threads of all attachment bolts. Top mounts are usually the toughest to loosen, so give them an extra shot! While oil is working, go ahead and put stickers and dust boots on the new shocks. Set them to position# 3. Also, I out some petroleum jelly on bushings and sleeves.

After an hour or so, try to loosen top bolt on right rear shock. This bolt will require a 19mm or 3/4 inch box end wrench. A breaker bar may be necessay. This is by far the toughest bolt to remove, since muffler and frame are obstacles. If you are lucy, the bolt will come right off, but don;t plan on it. Next loosen lower mount bolt using a rachet wrench w/ 19mm socket. Once loosened, remove old shock.

To install new left rear shock, I'd recommend attaching dust boot and stickers before climbin under vehcile. Also spray bushing and sleeves w/ lubricant. Reattach shock mount using OEM bolts, washers, and nuts. Same procedures can be used for left rear shock.

Front shocks are a little different. First take alook at bushing and washer arrangement on OEM top mount. Ranch will provide some new bushings that will need to be arranged in this same pattern. Next, you'll need a deep socket socket (cannot remembetr size) to remove top mount. You'll probably have to hold shock tube to prevent it from spinning. Basically, jut remove top mount, then remove bottom w/ 19mm wrench. Slide new shock in and attach top & bottom. Repeat for left side.

OVerall, this is fairly easy project, I was able to remove and install three shocks in less than an hour. Unfortunately, I spent a couple of hour tying to lo loosen top bolt on left rear mount.

Hth,
    Mark
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Measure the upper sleeve on the rear shocks. Mine came in with 1/2" sleeves and should have been 9/16". Rancho customer service said I should return these to have them replaced. 4wheelparts sales and tech support said remove the sleeve and they should be fine. Have not completely settled this issue yet as I have been too busy to deal with it this past week. Measure before you even consider climbing under to attack the first bolt.

I think the front upper shock required a 9/16" deep socket to remove..plus vise grips to hold the upper tube. Removing the front wheel would make this a no-brainer, but it was not bad with the wheel on.

I was able to get to the rear upper driver's side bolt head with a breaker bar and a long extension. The extension was over the tailpipe and axle. This was the only way I could get any leverage on that bolt. If I have to do it again, I will probably jack up the rear and put it on jack-stands. A couple of inches more working room would be really nice. Several times I got the socket on one of the bolts but could get no leverage because of the tight quarters.
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    To emphasize one of Zutrooper's points, that driver's rear shock really should be done on a cool vehicle lest your burn yourself on the muffler.

Also a little dishwashing soap and water really helps the shock boots slide on.
  • bawbcatbawbcat Member Posts: 118
    As with most such aftermarket automotive products, I'm extremely skeptical. If this stiff really worked, why wouldn't the auto manufacturers install this type of system at the factory? They spend millions trying to improve efficiency and reduce emissions.
  • zutrooperzutrooper Member Posts: 66
    Mike: Is it worth re-formatting these install directions to post on your site? If so, we can put our heads together and wire this thing up right! Mark
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Was just about to ask if you guys could send over a writeup for the website and maybe the next person who does the install can snap some pics, it would be a good one for the "how-to" section.

Also anyone who has more ideas and thoughts for the FAQ section that would be great too. Figure we might as well build a knowledgebase so that in 100K miles when we need to replace some stuff we'll remember how to do it.

-mike
    I'm considering one of these 2 vehicles. I'd appreciate any comments from this group about the relative merrits. I'm leaning towards the Trooper, but just want to consider all options. Thanks!
    Are you looking at a new Montero or the 98-00 ones? The big thing the Trooper has over the Monty is that you get more bang for your buck a more reliable engine, and better AWD system. Otherwise they are very similar in size, handling, etc. A good friend has a 94 Monty which is the same body style as the pre-01 Montys.

-mike
    bawbcat, the engine manufacturers have been correcting the same problems that the DirectHits is made to correct. In fact, even the DirectHits web site says older technology cars benefit more.

What spark plug wires do: They get the coil discharge signal to the spark plug. But to reduce noise, they use high resistance plugs and wires. The resistance is so high that the majority of the spark signal is lost before it gets to the spark plug. Nearly all of the highest frequency components of the signal are lost and that makes timing the spark more difficult.

What DirectHits does: provide better impedance match on spark plug end of spark plug wire. This allows more of the energy from the coil to make it all the way to the spark event. It also allws the shape of the spark signal from the coil to make it to the spark event for a much sharper resolution in timing for smoother performance all the way to redline. One of the most noticeable improvements is how well my 1995 SOHC 3.2L runs from 3500 to 5500 RPM while pulling a 4000# trailer.

From what I have read, people that add DirectHits to their Troopers and use the kit including low resistance spark plug wires DirectHits and resistorless plugs have great results. I have great results. You could get some of the same improvement by just puting in resistorless plugs and low resistance wires, but without the DirectHits there will be a lot of radio interference.

What the engine manufacturers are doing: They are eliminating the spark plug wires by placing the coils directly over the spark plugs. In this case, there would be no benefit from DirectHits because DirectHits is only there to correct problems inherent with spark plug wires.

I expect that there will eventually be spark plugs with the DirectHits circuit built in.

If you tow and your engine has spark plug wires, definately get DirectHits the difference for towing is amazing.
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    Paisan, I know it would be a bit of work, but it would be really nice if say your website had a survey of perceptions of Trooper owners who bought tires and how well they performed. Also, be of interest for other things like shocks, oil, filters, etc.
    CWmoser, I think I'll definitely start working on that. Maybe I'll try to setup a form where I can have people submit comments on different upgrades such as tires, shocks, etc. What do you think?

-mike
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    This database could be of great benefit to us Trooper owners. I'm sure others have idea inputs too. How about also a repository of where parts can be obtained - say someone knows of a Trooper in a specific junkyard. Which tires to buy should be the greatest expense and stress we face as the Trooper is so reliable:-)
    It's amazing how different the posts are on the 3 different segments of SUV boards:

Pilot/MDX/Highlander/etc: What colors are available? Is there a moonroof? How does it handle in the rain? Can I load in 8 people?

Explorer/TB/Envoy/etc: How is your dealer dealing with the repairs? He said they all do that? GM can't find a solution? Your Explorer got ANOTHER new engine?

Trooper/Montero/4-runner: Yup, just got done off-roading, worked flawlessly. I need tires, what should i get? How was it towing the boat last weekend? You just turned 200K miles, cool.

:)

-mike
    Thanks Guys for your suggestion!

I found the Trooper's repair manual (suspension part) online. It has detailed graphs and instructions, which should be helpful for any upgrade in suspension.

It seems the website is in Russia, and they don't worry about the copy right :)

http://www.4x4club.ru:8100/pdf/isuzu4.pdf

http://www.4x4club.ru:8100/pdf/isuzu5.pdf

• bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    post 4268 was hilarious.
    Sorry my last post was unclear. I'm looking for comparissons between the same model years of these 2 trucks (1998-2000). I agree that in general, the Troopers seem to be a better value, but occasionally I do see a comparably priced Montero. I've seen some posts saying that insurance and parts costs are very high for the Montero, so that is a strike against it. One concern I have about the Trooper is that I'm not confident that the Isuzu brand will survive, and if it does die, I don't know what effect that will have on parts and service costs.

In general, I was just curious if anyone else here had shopped these 2 against each other, and why you (presumably) chose the Trooper. Thanks.
    Aftermarket parts for the Montero = Zero so that is another issue to look at. As for spare parts, with 10 years of vehicle 92-02 you should be fine as far as parts for the Trooper well into the future, also the Axiom uses the same drivetrain.

-mike
    I hope that even if Isuzu goes out of the SUV business jut like it went out of the car business that GM will provide Isuzu parts for the standard 10 years that parts are supposed to be avialable in the USA.

I think Isuzu might go out of the SUV business because the vehicles are built too well. American buyers just want a comodity vehicle that will hold up for a few years, then they dump it and get another lease or purchase. Not enough Americans buy SUVs for long term use like me, I plan on 10 years and at least 200K miles before I consider buying another. Another good rule is one some friends of mine use: You must own each vehicle for twice as long as it took you to pay off the loan. I think buying new cars more often than 10 years and 200K miles is waste of a lot of my money. So the Troopers I have owned and driven on and off road have been a wonderful thing.

Now I worry about when my 1995 Trooper has 200K+ after 2005 where will I find another vehicle that will last as long. I am hoping for a hybrid diesel SUV that is competent off road and gets 35 MPG and can tow 5000# built on a frame and has the huge interior and small exterior of the Trooper in a model year 2006 to 2010. The 2006 GBX would have been great.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We had this discussion in Quests about 2 years ago - no one there ever found any rule or regulation that forces an automaker to make spare parts for any prescribed length of time. This comes up now and then and it bugs me not knowing, so if you know of any rules (in N.A. or on the continent), I'd appreciate hearing about it.

One would think there'd be such a requirement somewhere, but maybe it's just market driven (or maybe it's something the Army requires in their procurement regs)....

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    to have you let Joe Isuzu know to stop selling "sexy Isuzu" and start selling solid long term reliable utility Isuzu.

Tell Joe to go on TV and explain how buying a Trooper now and driving it for at least a decade will help you save money to put your kids through college. Or to afford to retire.
    By federal law for parts. I'll see if I can dig up the law/reg that requires this.

-mike
    Tell Joe to go on TV and explain how buying a Trooper now and driving it for at least a decade will help you save money to put your kids through college. Or to afford to retire.

No one cares about that unfortunately :(

-mike
    Thanks Mike - everytime I've searched for it, I've come up empty.

Steve
    Host
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    In Australia, manufacturers are obliged under fair trading law that new parts are available for seven years after a model ceases production.

Seeing that we don't get Axiom here, and as far as I know there is no plan to bring it here, new Jackaroo parts should start to run out around 2010. Frontera (Rodeo) has just been released with TOD here. So some componentry should carry over for a bit longer.

Mike ... That's an interesting comment about Montero aftermarket parts in the US being zero. In Australia there is a much, much larger range of aftermarket for Pajero than there is for Jackaroo. ARB have a great looking bullbar for Landcruiser and Pajero, called the Sahara bar. I would love to get a similar styled bar on my car, but they have no plans to ever produce it for Jackaroo/Trooper. And it's the same story with a lot of different items, rear bars for instance.

I'm very peeved about the number of accessories available in Japan for Bighorn/Trooper/Jackaroo, that aren't made available in the US or Australia. They don't need to bring all of them out to us. But things like rear spoiler, stability control, dual air, etc., would find a ready market. Landcruiser and Prado already offer all of these.
    tincup47 "MY2003 Range Rover" May 14, 2002 12:25pm

Steve
    Host
  • mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    Just thought I'd chime in on the Trooper vs. Montero question.
    Those are the two vehicles that I chose from. There were three key reasons I choose the Trooper over the Montero:
    1. Engine power. The Montero is heavier and has a slightly weaker engine. Just didn't get the power to the floor like the 3.5L Trooper motor and GM tranny. Off the line and with grades, you really had to floor it to go. I would roughly equal it to the 3.2 in my 96 Trooper.
    2. Off-road capability: Trooper is better stock than Montero (Montero larger tires=0.5" greater ground clearance. Montero is much softer feeling though in the suspension, bouncier. Especially where there is rock crawling, I felt the body/frame would bounce off rocks and the like. There is no Rancho 9000 option for the Montero. The Trooper is definitely easier to modify (lift especially).
    3. Value: although both are about equal MSRP. I could get very little off MSRP (about invoice) on the Montero, with the Trooper, when I bought it, $9k off MSRP was easy.

The Montero's handling is a little quirky on-road. With fast transitions there seems to be an increase in body roll and loss of control. It is also more 'floaty' and I didn't like the feeling of that. Body keeps rocking l=r even when going straight. Likely those issues are taken care of with some suspension modifications, but, as Paisan said, they are few. There is a company called JAOS that makes a lift and shocks for the new Monty. www.jaos.com.

The 5 speed automatic with manumatic and the 4wd system in the Monty Limited is way cool. You can easily hold in any desired gear without the tranny shifting on you automatically. I like the option of a part-time hi locked in the Montero that the Trooper lacked. BUT, off-road, whenever I've needed the 50/50 lock, I usually find I'm already in 4lo for the gear reduction.

Solid rear axle in Trooper is better off road typically than IRS in Montero. Usually related to articulation. Didn't really look at inches of travel and the new Range Rover has gone all independent. One 4x4 mag said the new independent suspension Explorer is the least off-road vehicle they had ever tested, because of lack of articulation in the independent suspension.

The fit and finish of the Montero is ahead of the Trooper. For leather, the Monty leather is thicker and softer, more luxurious. Dash is also more modern. Styling is always an issue, either you like the Monty or you don't. The Trooper styling is classic and will likely remain fresh long after the Montero.

When all was said and done, Trooper remained my hands down favorite and my vehicle of choice. The 'deal' off msrp was a factor, but the durability, functionality, and off-road capability were the true deciding points toward the 2001 Trooper.

BUT, if they get a really great motor in the Montero, who knows.... I'm not heading for the Ascender any time soon.
    Also I think the original poster was looking at the previous generation Monty. 98-00 Monty v. 98-00 Trooper. I could be wrong though.

-mike
    Is it too late to tell Joe Isuzu to stop selling "sexy Isuzu" and start selling solid long term reliable utility Isuzu?

Considering the next Isuzu SUV will be a rebadged GM product, I don't think this approach would be wise. It would have been appropriate for the past 5-10 years.
    Hi all,

Just looking around the japanese Isuzu website, I found this little bit of trivia.

* 32,390 Troopers built in 2000
    * 20,477 sold in North America
    * 4,042 sold in Europe
    * 2,939 sold in Oceania

That's in order of volume. So the US market is obviously the largest, followed by Europe and Oceania which takes in Australia and NZ, etc.

The smallest market was Asia (it's home market!) at only 1,596 units.

For such a brilliant product that the Trooper is, it is definitely an example of how Isuzu and GM got its marketing wrong. Doesn't Explorer sell something like 20 times this volume globally?
    Ok folks, what diffy grade did you guys use?

I'm looking at the Helm manual and redlineoils.com and can't seem to figure out which to buy :(

-mike
    When I changed our 98 Trooper's front and rear diffys at 52,xxx miles, I used 75W90 Mobil 1 synthetic gear lubricant. I think the owner's manual specifies the 80W90 when weather temps exceed some fairly low figure (50 degrees Fahrenheit rings a bell), but I went with 75W90. Not sure why-- maybe it was availability of the Mobil 1 in my area (I found 75W90 but not 80W90).

I don't see how this could make a very big difference-- wouldn't a 75W90 and an 80W90 be pretty close in terms of thickness etc.?

I also added 3/4 bottle of the Isuzu/GM limited slip lubricant to the rear diffy.

Due to my accidentally putting ATF in the rear diffy, I ended up draining and refilling the rear diffy 5 times between 52,400 and 53,500 miles. So I hope everything is pretty clean back there; after all those changes, and the detergent-heavy ATF being left in for 50 miles, it should be!
    I know this is in my owner's manual. I'll look tonight.
    Is probably what I'll go with for both front and rear in the Trooper. The 80/90 weight lubes seem to run out of steam at 85 degrees, which is not good for my climate which runs up to 100 degrees in the summer.

-mike
    I used RedLine in my differentials because I could look up the temperature ratings and it is good to something like 500 F. I found oil tests on the web somewhere a two or three years ago. I am due for another round (>45K since changed) of diff and manual tranny oil. Anybody done the oil research lately and found comparison charts on line? Please post URL if you did. Thank You
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    I got some minor damage this past weekend while wheelin in Elk County PA. I got in a jam and needed to turn around and backed into a rock. Nothing major happened except for a slight scratch on the under side of the bumper and I also bent the hanger to the tail pipe which moved my tailpipe over a few inches into the mudflap. We are going again this weekend so i will try to snap some photos for you Paisan to possibly post on the web site.
    Love to have pics for the site! :)

-mike
  • tetonmantetonman Member Posts: 73
    I think this was actually the claim that Oldsmobile made when GM announced it was discontinuing the brand. That way GM could get buyers into the showrooms to finish off their inventory, keeping dealers somewhat happy. Of course since Olds parts are interchangeable with Chevy, Pontiac, etc. that's really not much of a claim for GM to make.

With the reliability of the Trooper, hopefully this won't be a huge issue given the Axiom's use of a few Trooper parts. Plus, we can always visit the junkyards...
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    I expect to keep our Trooper for many more years. I am now starting to wonder if I should stockpile a few parts for the future. I am thinking along the lines of things that will eventually need replacing but might not be readily available at decent prices in 5 or 10 years. The parts should also not go bad just sitting around.

So far on this maybe list I have genuine Isuzu brake pads and an idler pulley for the timing belt change.

Any other people thinking along these lines? If so, what is on your list?
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    OK, which of the hotlinks did you click to get those suspension specs?? I don't know about you but its all 'greek' to me. Can't read much of it at all.
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    I downloaded the pdfs so if you want them send me an e-mail and I will send them to you.
    I have the same diags in my Helm manual IIRC, cause I just bought it this week, I haven't checked em out fully.

-mike
    Repair manual for Trooper's suspension system:

'http://www.4x4club.ru:8100/pdf/isuzu4.pdf'

'http://www.4x4club.ru:8100/pdf/isuzu5.pdf'

Since there is a ":" in the web address, in my previous post only the first part was showed/highlighted. If you click it, it can only link to their main page.

The solution:

You can copy the web address about(without the quote marks) then past it to the address part of your Internet Explorer, then hit 'enter'.

The file is in .pdf, so you need the program Acrobat Reader to show it. If you don't have one, you can download it at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep.html

From this link, you can find all of their manual list online. (Including Trooper suspension) And it is in ENGLISH.

http://www.4x4club.ru/manual.php

"The Trooper has 'The Moonroof for the Husky Gentleman'"

-mike
    [A href="http://www.goes.here">linkisuzu4

isuzu5

If you have really long links, check out makeashorterlink.com.

Steve
    Host
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    Hey, when you guys upgraded your stabilizer soft goods from rubber to polyurethane, did you do anything to the ones on the links or the lateral bar? I was wondering if you changed out those soft goods as well.
  • seanreidseanreid Member Posts: 152
    I'd be happy to hear more on the Trooper vs. Montero discussion. I still haven't bought my next SUV but drove a 1998 Montero (with 30,000 miles) today and liked it as much as the Trooper.
    Seems like a very similar vehicle. Selling price after negotiations would be 15-16K and the third row seats (which I need occasionally) are already in it. So please keep the Trooper vs. Montero discussion rolling, I'm following it all. Thanks.

Sean