Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I have the changer so I can't put it in the DIN position :( I may just put the bracket onto the side of the hump the way I currently have it held on with velcro.

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I mounted mine on the passenger side against the center console, right by the 4wd low shifter. My $15 radio shack CB broke just before vacation, so I got a uniden 520XL, fits nice against the center console. The only drawback is that you can't slide the passenger seat forward. I mounted the handset on the opposite side down below my leg. Easy to conceal and access. I have a picture I will try to get out one of these days.

I just got back from vacation. Lots to post...overheating, 4 low vs TOD, new tires, etc. Whew...lots to catch up on.
    Sept 21st is the next monthly trip to the PB.

Also Aug 24-26 if you can make it we are heading to Uwharrie.

-mike
  • wheels13wheels13 Member Posts: 51
    In post 5142 boxtrooper mentions that his 1995 trooper does not have the plastic wheel flairs. Does this mean that the width of his wheels are closer together? I know that my 1992 had a narrower width then my 1999 does.
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    What specifically went wrong with Suburban? It's just a matter of the right horse for the right course.

The Suburban was just too big for what the market wanted. All the market growth was in the mid (Jackaroo, Prado, Pajero) and small (RAV4, CRV, Pajero iO, Sportage) segment. Holden brought the Suburban in at a time when the Landcruiser was king in that part of the market. The Suburban just couldn't match it for quality, ability and running costs or price. The Suburban was brought in at about $70k AUS at a time when you can get a Landcruiser for $60k AUS.

The Suburban was however acknowledged as the best heavy duty tow vehicle about and it was offered with three engine choices. Also, the space it offered was simply unchallenged in the market. However, there wasn't enough of a demand for those atrributes and it died a relatively quick death.

You have to keep in mind that there's only 20 million people in Australia, so the market size is less than 10% of the US.

The biggest growth right now is in the crossover part of the market, which is what has me worried about what Holden's plans may be for the Jackaroo replacement.
    The TLC still comes with live axles front and rear in most models here. IFS is only available on the GXV and Lexus LX470 variants.

Mike ... Sounds like you should move to Australia
  • grucelagrucela Member Posts: 19
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    Mine is 1995.5 this is the Trooper that went to "wide track". It is also the exact model that Consumer Reports used for **falsifying data so they could win some free news show time. My tires 255/16 look like they are almost out of the wheelwell, as if they are the widest part of the Trooper. I like that look better than the overhanging fender flair look. I think my 1995.5 Trooper might be illegal in some states that regulate such things closely.

**I strongly believe, having put over 328K miles on Troopers that the Isuzu Trooper is much less prone to flip that the USA made competition - reason the suspension is much tighter and under much better control than the others. Sure, it leans in hard turns, but it leans with no surprizes, no sudden outside corner diving down etc.. even when pushed till the tires are squealing loudly and sliding to the side a little on clean blacktop roads, the sort of thing that happens when you enter a 35 MPH turn at 60+ MPH down a hill. Don't everybody go try this out, but I do believe in the Trooper, its handling is well behaved.
    Yup we only get the IFS versions of the TLC here.

I'd love to move there, you get the Holden Commodore SS and HSV, all the good cars :(

-mike
    Here is a cool article

http://www.usatoday.com/money/consumer/autos/mauto696.htm

Look up the 2000 Acura SLX, it's the same as the Trooper.

See what we beat out! Even the PT Crapper rolls eaiser!

-mike

interesting to see the forester is higher than the SLX/Trooper.
  • harhirharhir Member Posts: 29
    I have aquestion about the automatic transmission. Accoring to Isuzu it has an torque converter with automatic lock uo it 3rd and 4th gear. What does that mean exactly?
    The reason why I am asking is the following. Whe I am getting faster than about 40mph and go up 50 or 60 mph and release the accelerator the car slows down like if the torques converter is still locked an the engine slows it down. When the car then gets to down to about 38 mph then it suddenly seems to roll free. It feels like if it is locked free. Is this normal or should it roll free at any speeds? It is my first car with automatic transmission. For me this symptom feels like a car with manual transmission, when you release the acc. by leaving the gear in position and taking it into neutral after it slowed down to about 38 mph.

Thanks

Stefan
    If it's a 2000 or 2001 or 2002 you are probably feeling the Grade Logic Tranny program kicking in. This essentially will downshift you if your foot is completely off the gas to provide engine braking.

-mike
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    I think Paisan is right. But doesn't grade logic only kick in when on a downhill grade?
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    My 98 doesn't disengage quickly at high speeds, either.

I've noticed the same things at low speeds, too. The TC just seems to hold it in gear longer than most vehicles with autos that I've driven in the past.

Frankly, I like it.
    Thanks for the responses. Mine is a 2001 model. I am not sure if it downshifts, because the RPMs are not going up. It just feels that it stays in the same gear with the torqueconverter locked and the enginebraking slows the car down. And also where I live there are no hills. Everything is flat. I just recently recognized this bahaviour and did not see/feel it before. Maybe it is normal and I just have to learn more about auto trans driving. Right now I am mainly driving within the city. Mostly under 40mph where this behavior does not appear.
    Comes into effect anytime you completely let off the gas. The Drive-by-wire will sense that you are completely off the gas, and will use the Lockup TC and/or downshifting to slow the vehicle. It interprets your taking your foot completely off the gas that you want to slow down.

-mike
  • fiveharpersfiveharpers Member Posts: 53
    I agree that you are experiencing grade logic as Paisan said. It is greatly appreciated when going down winding mountain roads and you are only smelling brakes burning from other vehicles.
    Ted,

I measured the foot piece of my Frontier rack. It is 16 inches long from end to end. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm betting the Nashbar rack is exactly the same.
    Paisan, Fiveharpers,

thanks for the information. I guess I just have to get used to it. :) With the few auto. cars I drove in the past once a while, you had to downshift manually if you wanted to use the engine to slow down the car on mountain roads.
    But so far I really like the Trooper. The only other 4WD SUV I would be interested is the new Mitsubishi Montery. But the price is not competitive.
    Is there also another US Trooper forum beside this Website? So far I could not find one.

Thanks
    Stefan
  • seanreidseanreid Member Posts: 152
    Paisan mentioned putting up a "how to" section on CB installation so I made some quick pictures today so that I could post them before I leave on tour again. They are at:

http://www.motorcycletours.com/northeastern/troopercbpics.htm

When the season finishes up, I'm going to replace the velcro cable holders (4th picture down)with plastic cable holders of some kind because I don't want the velcro holding water,salt, etc. against the paint. I'll also fit a rubber grommet where the cable comes into the inner panel (4th picture down).

Paisan, feel free to use these as you see fit if they're helpful.

• bawbcatbawbcat Member Posts: 118
    Even my 98 Trooper (i.e. without grade logic) seems to hold the lower gears when letting off the gas, when most other automatic transmissions would upshift. At least I've noticed that at low speeds like when in 1st or 2nd gear. Seems like a good thing to me.
    I like the velcros. Mine is just "flapping in the wind" right now, I should probably get some good plastic clips like you suggest and put em in. Nice in-dash setup too!

The top pic looks just like my truck!

-mike
    I looked at the pictures and have a comment. Where the antenna cable makes the turn and goes behind the interior trim make sure to leave enough of a loop reaching lower than the entrance to the interior of the Trooper prevent any water that follows the cable down from making the turn and running inside your Trooper. I would leave three or so inches below the enterance through the seal.

When I mounted a permanent CB antenna on my 1984 Trooper I drilled a hole in the spare tire bracket and in the door and used a fiberglass antenna. It had an anti water loop and I had no leaking, at least I did not detect any leaking over 10 years and two CBs and two antennas.

I actually replaced the antenna cable once due to poor reception. Radio Shack sells three grades of CB antenna cable. The big stuff (RG8?) is too hard to make the turns. The little stuff (RG58?) has a lot of signal loss. The medium cable was just right. Check out this link describing that all coax cable is definately not created equal.
    http://www.signalengineering.com/ultimate/coax_basics.html

The default CB antenna cable is RG-58 (2.35 dB / 100ft). Note: 3dB is half your signal strength, dB is a logarithmic scale.

The prefered coax for mobile installations is RG-8X (1.2 dB / 100ft), half as much loss as RG-58!

Sharp bends also cause loss problems and if the cable gets tightly kinked it may create a permanent loss in the cable, I think that is what happenned to my original RG-58.

What is with this site crashing every so often? It always seems unavailable about every other post?
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I don't know. It's like the links (Message Center, etc.) are dead sometimes, even though you can tell that the site isn't really 'down.' It can be annoying, though.

Host - comments?
    I think they have lost 1 or 2 hamsters in the server so it's been a little slow lately. I'm sure once they get down to the pet store and get a new hamster or 2 it'll be up to speed.

-mike
    We probably shouldn't complain too much. It's free.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We're having some problems with the software and are in working closely with Webcrossing to get it fixed. Clearly it is top priority and we can only ask for your patience.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    all this talk about bike racks reminds me.....I looked at the one I bought and it's a Valley Industries brand. I got it at my local RV store. Folks are big on Recreational Vehicles here and the store has a lot of accessories. Just happened to look there for a bike rack, and sure enough they had just what I needed. It holds 4 bikes, each lockable, each has it's own 'saddle' to be held by. The 2" reciever hitch pin is lockable as well. The receiver is long enough to extend well out past the the spare tire, about 2 inches. Its a single 2" tube of simple design, and looks great!! The price was very reasonable, about $150.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Actually, I wasn't sure if the problems were on my end or on the Edmunds end. Glad to hear that you are aware of the problem and are investigating.
    How on earth does a PT Cruiser get classified as an SUV? We have them in Australia, but I don't see them as anymore than a retro hatchback.

BTW ... Where does the GMC Jimmy sit in the SUV line up? There has been some talk that might be the Jackaroo replacement.
    Jimmy is a POS.

PT cruiser is classified as a truck cause the rear seats fold down and create a flat surface, it allows DC to meet their SUV CAFE rating for fuel economy.

-mike
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm sure you mean Pathetic Old Swag.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    Is the Jimmy the same as the Trailblazer, or as the Blazer? In either case, don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.
    Yup Pathetic Old Swag.

-mike
    http://www.ibistek.com/video.html

Talk about Road Rage.

-mike

• bawbcatbawbcat Member Posts: 118
    Too bad, no Trooper version. At least some of us have the option of standing up through our huge sunroof and throwing fruit or whatever else might be handy. Yes indeed, the Trooper with sunroof is an excellent weapons platform. :)
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    WHEW....and all along I thought it meant Pit of Shiece
    In the newspapers this week, there was an article about Holden and 4WDs. The new 'roo will be based on Trailblazer/Envoy/Ascender and will be released late in 2003.

What's more interesting is that by 2006 Holden plans to have its own design for the Jackaroo - just in time for my upgrade, yes!!! They want to take over the regional 4WD/SUV design and manufacturing responsibilities for the Asia region from Isuzu.

Makes sense to me. Even though Australia is only 20mil people, we are the second largest market for 4WDs in the world. Also, most Trooper/Bighorn/Jackaroo testing and development occurs in Oz anyway. So the competency exists already.
    Bastages! You always get the good stuff.

-mike
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    While on business to day in Reading, PA. I spotted a dealer with 5 new "S" troopers with 22k to 24k on their windshields. The stickers were 30k and a few hundred. Also, new axioms 24k with leather. Rodeos for 20 to 22K base models w/6 cylinders. Go get'em before they fly. I am sure you can get even more off if you negotiate properly.
  • tek182tek182 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 99 Trooper. At around 50k mi, it started using oil. At 58k, it slipped a bearing on the crankshaft and is currently at the dealership having a brand new short block put in (thank God it was still under warranty). The service manager told me that oil consumption is a common problem with that engine (3.5L). Has anybody else heard of this or expierenced the problem??? Seemed kind of odd to me for an engine to be using that much oil at just 50k mi. By the way, The dealer checked for oil leaks and there were none.
    I'd say about 25% of Isuzu engines consume oil. Anwhere from 1Q ever 1500miles to 1Q ever 3500miles.

-mike
  • hus060hus060 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 95 trooper s model, 3.2 sohc, with 141k miles; the transmission light is now flashing after about 5 minutes into driving mode. The manual stated that needs to get the truck into an Isuzu dealership for diagnostic. Computer chip is malfunction. Can continue to drive but computer is enable to shift gear correctly.

Has anyone experience this problem? If so, what is the best solution and cost-wise? Please advice. Thanks, HUS060
  • tek182tek182 Member Posts: 6
    What do you think makes the 25% use oil? I had all routine maintenance done on the truck and I really could not see any oil burning in the exhaust except during start up and then there was very little. Thanks for the info.
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    When was the last time you changed your ATF? Bad fluid can cause a bunch of symptoms.
    I suspect however the problem is that the temperature sensor is not detecting a warm engine allowing shifting into 4th.
    Your best bet is to go by an Autozone and get them to read the OBDII system and tell you what code the computer is seeing. This is a free service.
  • hus060hus060 Member Posts: 3
    I just have my AT service with new ATF, filter, gasket and etc about 3 weeks ago. I will take the car to Autozone and let you all know later of what is the cause!
    It's too much of a coincidence that you had an AT service just before your problems started.

If I were you, I'd go back to the shop that did the service and ensure that the ATF fluid grade is correct, and the level is right. The ATF should be Dexron III grade. Anything else may cause a problem.

Have you noticed any leaks?