Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    I go away for two weeks and there are hundreds of messages on the board. I'm glad to see so much activity.

Paisan unfortunately I could not make the NC trip, but was curious how it turned out. Let me know so hopefully I will be able to make it next time.

Sean Reid sorry to hear about the accident, but you should be able to find another Trooper fairly easily I would think. My local dealers are both running $7k off specials right now.

Beer 47 you got me beat, but i will race you to 200K. I am at 60k now.

BlueTrooper. i got a series 2 ECB bar from Paisan and I love it. Let me know if you want me to e-mail you some pics of the bar on my 2000 Trooper.

I have had a very stressfull past two weeks, but now my test is over and I can finally RELAX and keep up with the postings. Now I am off to the wire to see what I have missed over there.
  • tetonmantetonman Member Posts: 73
    My 99 S does that too. This seems to be fairly common on the Troopers. The issue was covered in detail long ago when I was looking to buy my Trooper (way back in '99!). And it should not be a problem.

Can't remember the exact reason for the clunk, but I'm sure someone here has the answer. It was on the Isuzu Trooper Part II message board way back when...
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    isn't happening with me, but the Trooper has sufficient idle speed to pull against the brakes, and roll forward if brakes are released. I think its pretty common with Troops.

I can vouch for the muffler bearing change out, yielded me .002mpg improvement!! Ha! I'm sure I can get .005mpg out of the Rancho shocks.

Oil consumption is changing on my 01' Trooper. I made a trip to Colorado (2100 miles)in early July and consumed about 7/8 quart of Mobil 1 on the round trip. Most recent trip to Florida (2300 miles) consumed about 1/2 quart of Mobil 1. The engine has about 15000 miles on it now, and is really starting to 'feel' stronger than before. No tinkering with this one when it gets 23mpg on the highway. Just kidding. More like 19. I am pleased with this one though.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Didn't make it to NC. We are planning on hitting it again in mid-late Oct.

Harsh shifting is a characteristic of the 4L30 tranny this allows it to have a long life, less TC slippage.

-mike
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    That Sucks. Well keep me posted on the Oct. trip. Although that puts me into hunting season.
    Huntin' not Hunting?

Hee Hee

-mike
  • bawbcatbawbcat Member Posts: 118
    I actually prefer quicker/firmer shifts in an auto tranny while driving. Less "slush" in the "slushbox" is a good thing IMHO. The only thing that caused me to wonder was the way it clunks into gear fairly hard when shifting into gear from P, or from R into D. I don't necessarily hear a loud clunk on mine, but I feel it. Anyway, sounds like it's fairly common on this vehicle, so I'm not gonna worry about it.

My question is on a different subject. There is a small rubber boot on the steering "column" in the engine compartment (i.e. on the shaft between the firewall and the gearbox). I noticed the other day that mine is split open. Has anybody ever repaired/replaced that boot, and if so, what was involved? Thanks.
  • celcis1celcis1 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone please advise me on what shocks to buy for my 2K 4WD Trooper (65,000 mi.) that is super for the highway and also any comments on tires? Thanks
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I developed a lot of play in my steering. You could feel the coupling slip a little turning left and right, not really slipping, but worn enough so there was slight movement...Anyway, I had them replace the entire column, because it seemed to be directly related to the column at that point? I think it may have been related to getting water and dirt in there which may have caused the problem? Now, some play has returned, but I think this is due to having a new column gear attaching to an older worn steering gear box.

I believe they had to remove the drivers front wheel, remove the steering wheel and take the column up and out through the passenger compartment? I would at least have the boot repaired...the play in the steering was real annoying...although every mechanic (including an independent second opinion) told me it should be safe.
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    Not sure if this possible in the Trooper, but some recirculating ball steering boxes that I remember from the late '70s had an adjustment to remove play IIRC. As long as the play wasn't due to extreme wear. Doesn't hurt to have this possibility checked.
    Shocks... Lots of discussion. My personal favorites:

On-Road: Bilstien
    on/off-Road: Rancho 9000s

Tires:
    On-road: Pirellis Scorpion ST
    on/off-road: Pirelli Scorpion AT

-mike
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    Yes, there is an adjustment to remove play in the steering. It is a flat blade screw inside a locknut on top of the steering box. I have penetrating oil on mine right now so I will soon be able to adjust it. My steering has a tiny amount of play, enough that if parked and you wiggle the wheel back and forth you can feel a slight dead spot. There was no dead spot when new 130K ago, so now its time to adjust, I think 1/4 turn of the flat blade screw will do.

My 1984 Trooper went without power steering fluid changed because I did all my own work and I did not want to take off the hoses. At around 190K miles it developed a lot of steerig play over a month or so. I had to change the entire steering box to fix that. Now I do the power steering fluid changes, or I have it done, it has RedLine synthetic transmission fluid in it now.
    Initially I took my truck to a trusted mechanic. He told me it was the steering column coupling, inside the boot, 1/2 way up the column. When I first brought it to the dealer, they just cranked the steering box adjustment. Which only made it impossible to turn, but didn't stop the play. They finally agreed to replace the entire column when the play got even worse. Now I have a slight amount of play, which I am hoping adjusting the steering box will fix? Otherwise they will have to replace that too. I only have 29K on my '99, so I expect this resolved...it is very minor now, so I expect the screw adjustment to work, I hope.
  • notbrockyatesnotbrockyates Member Posts: 19
    Greetings Troopers. Thanks for all of your postings which I studied prior to taking the plunge today. Light Silver, cloth interior, 2WD (not much 4WD'ing here in South Florida.) Real happy with it and very happy with the deal. Looked at 4Runner & Montero but went with the Isuzu. Seems like a great value ($28K+ sticker down to $20K and change.) Much happier with dealer and sales process than I was prepared for. In and out in a little over two hours. Highly recommend Dan Jennings at Maroone on Pines Blvd. in Pembroke Pines, FL. No real pressure and the F&I guy showed me but did not push hard on the insurances, so no "fighting" necessary. Hoping this is as reliable as my old Impulse and my current Volvos. Thanks again for all the info on this board which does help those readers in the buying process.

Mark H.
    The Holden Rally Team has today taken an outright win in the Australian Safari. The Bruce Garland Jackaroo taking the honours with a 15m 57s lead over a Mitsubishi Pajero (Montero to you guys). There was also a modified Holden Frontera (Isuzu Rodeo) in the top 5.

Garland did the 3000km of competitive stages in 27h 36m 33s. You do the math on average speed!

Just to keep you guys happy about your choice of transport, Peter Brock's 2002 3.5L Jackaroo came in first in the showroom class with a total time of 30h 39m 30s, 8m 8s ahead of a 2002 Nissan Patrol 4.8L. These are essentially production vehicles like you and I drive, with minor mods. A 1998 Frontera 3.2L came in 3rd in the showroom class, so don't knock the Isuzu Rodeo's too hard!
    Just looking at it, I would have guessed it to be something like a Lada.

Hard to get an idea of how big it is from the photo, but the weight suggests TLC sized.
    today. I'm going to drive her until the light comes on, or until she dies from lack of fuel. I have a can of gas in the back to put in if the latter of the two happens. I'll report my findings here when I have the answer. Hope that light actually works!

Hope everyone had a FUN and Safe Labor Day holiday!!

Happy Trooping.
    Enjoy your holiday, all!

BTW, I made a mistake in my email re the Australian Safari. In the "showroom" class, the 2nd place getter was not a Nissan Patrol. It was in fact the second of the production based Holden Rally Team Jackaroos. So they got a 1-2 victory in that class.

Now I wish they'd just put some photos of the finish up on their website.
  • seanreidseanreid Member Posts: 152
    Thursday I put a deposit down on a 2001 LS, 24K, grey in seemingly excellent shape. One-owner car and was traded in on a used Porsche 911. $17,250 final price seemed like a very good deal. NADA on our wrecked 1999 with the various adjustments is $17,000 which is what we expect to get from Allstate this week. Not bad, considering that we bought the 1999 this spring for $16,000. If all works as planned, we get a two-year newer truck with power/heated seats, the newer tranny, etc. plus the sunroof and the other good stuff we had on the 1999 for just $250 extra. I just hope this one was as well cared for as the first (which was immaculate mechanically).

We went up to Rimouski (QB) this weekend and I pulled the CB, antenna, aftermarket stereo, Hidden Hitch and nerf bars (there's no NADA credit for the bars so off they come - the 2001 we're buying didn't have them but will soon).

I'm back out on tour Weds. but hopefully my wife can wrap this up with the insurance company and pick up the new Trooper. Quebec has a no-fault law which requires our insurance to cover the vehicle even though the other vehicle was (legally, in official papers and otherwise) at fault. Hardly a fair system but what can ya' do.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Sean
    At least you are covered and it has worked out well for you.

It's always a bit weird when things work out well in a situation like this. Particularly when people lost their life.

But .... that's how it is!
  • seanreidseanreid Member Posts: 152
    It is strange when things work out well in an accident like this. Or, that is to say, some aspects may work out well. Two people lost their lives because a driver was careless, my staff member is still uneasy when driving, we have a major claim on our insurance record despite Monique having done nothing wrong (thanks to Quebec insurance law), a tour with guests from all over the world was disturbingly disrupted, we have all kinds of direct and indirect expenses because of the accident, etc.. In short - a nightmare. Finding a good new Trooper for not much more money was a nice bright spot in a rough few weeks.

We've been leading tours in Quebec since 1998 and I feel safe in saying generally that I've seen some of the world's most dangerous driving there.
    Excessive speed is just the beginning, the following are routine: tailgating very close, passing on double yellow lines, passing in various blind areas, travel at 120 km/h + through towns and, perhaps most dangerous, turning in front of other vehicles without ever looking and/or without caution. NYC is a haven of driving courtesy by comparison.

Sean
    I've been lucky in 12 years of driving never to have a claim on my insurance. So I haven't had the pleasures of having to deal with that stuff. It's inevitable that I will eventually but hopefully not for a long time.

-mike
  • mwwstmwwst Member Posts: 30
    bsmart1,

FYI- I ran the gas tank on my 2000 S down until the light came on this past weekend (no, I was not running a test, just lazy). It took 19.6 gallons to fill the tank back up. I believe the trooper has a 22.5 gallon tank so I had roughly 3 gallons remaining when the light came on. Hope this helps.

MWWST
  • schulhof1schulhof1 Member Posts: 8
    I replaced my OE shocks with Edelbrock's and have been very pleased. I might have 20k on them now with no issues, it rides nice but they are pricey.

My '96 came with Bridgestone Duelers which were ok. I replaced them with BFG AT's. Then I replaced the (expensive) BFG's with Kumho Road Venture AT's. I love the Kumhos. They were $88 each, versus about $125 for Michelins or $165 for BFG's.

They are smooth and quiet after the BFG's, which were more of an off road tire than I needed.

The Troop now has 113k on it. The wide is eyeing MDX's though....
    can you test your gas light by turning your key to the ACC position? I get nothing by doing this on the 99' but it does work on the 01'. That's why I'm driving around on empty. I have had the light come on while driving the 01' and I believe it was about like you described. There was about 2 gallons left in the tank IIRC.
    The BFG A/T's are the most popular all-terrain in Australia and the tyre that seems to have the least amount of problems.

What surprises me is that if you do the currency conversions, we get them cheaper than you do in the US. And the tyres we have here are the US manufactured ones, not the Japanese made BFG's.

A 245/70R16 BFG A/T is about $200AUS, which is now about $110US.

Michelins A/T's are way more expensive than the BFG's. Yokohama/Pirelli's are about line-ball with BFG, just a bit under at $195AUS.
    bsmart1,

The gas light does come on when I first turn the key on my 2000 S.

MWWST
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    but I got hit by my MOTHER-IN-LAW!!!! About 2k in damage to the left rear quarter, maybe more if the body shop decides to fight for a new panel, which the insurance guy said could very well happen. I'll post a picture in a while. Poor Trooper, she just looks so sad. Paisan, the turbo is fine. :)

Jim
  • peterismepeterisme Member Posts: 68
    This happens to me two or three times a year, usually after heavy rain, or snow, in the jammed traffic or in front of red light. I have no problem to restart the engine. When I sent the car to the dealer, they said they cannot find the problem.(Sure, they don't drive it to commute) Except this hassle, I like my trooper. It is now 50 K miles and it runs well. I think I have to wait for the next generation trooper (NOT the GM ones) to replace this one. Maybe I have to put on 150k more miles on it before that day.

Anyone has the same experience? Any suggestion will be appreciated.
    Jimmy: Glad the turbo is ok. I am gonna need that for auto-x soon, the SVX isn't gonna make a good auto-x car.

Peterisme: Try a fuel regulator or possibly fuel pump or fuel pump relay.

-mike
    Is that an ARM bumper? Have to get me one of those Jackaroos :)

-mike
    made by Rallyspeed. Usually an alloy unit. The air intakes are a custom fitting though.
    Maybe we could change the badging on the trooper? I wonder if you can purchase the body moldings for the SLX and Jackaroo? Then I could have 3 different trucks in 1.
    Just got an e-mail that ECB has bars for the Holden Cruz, what is that?

-mike
    It's a little AWD based on the Suzuki Ignis. 1.5L 4 cyl, really tiny, doesn't even qualify as an SMV.

Holden was asked to do the concept design in 2000 by GM Asia Pacific, for display at the Tokyo Motor Show. They accepted and then realised they only had 12 weeks to get it done. They did it!

It would be better if it was a 1.8L.
    That could be the cute-ute that GM may sell here.

-mike
    Got my overlander expedition roof rack in the mail today after about one and a half weeks of waiting. Took me about 1/2 hour to put the rack portion together. Very simple even with the inadequate directions. Unfortunately, when I opened the box for the mounting brackets I found out that Overlander doesn't supply the 6mmx25mm bolts that you need to screw the brackets (which hold the rack) into the existing bolt holes in the roof of the trooper. This makes no sense to me since Overlander was nice enough to note on the bracket directions which were inside the box that 94 troopers and newer don't have bolts already screwed into the factory holes. So how about supplying them!!! Very disappointing. I'll have to wait until after work tomorrow to get the bolts and then do the final assembly. I'll let everyone know how it looks, works, wind noise,etc. after I've had a chance to use it a little.
    does work just as mwwst described. On the 99' it will NOT come on during dash light test. It finally came on while driving though. Pulled over almost immediately and did a tank fill-up. It took 19.5 gallons to fill. So you have about 3 gallons left when the light comes on. That's the end of that test. Now more tinkering to see what can be done about the fuel mileage......

Oh, anyone crawled under the rear and noted any 'wet spot' on the underside above the rear diffy more to the passenger side?? Not sure if it's grease sling off the drive shaft, or something else 'wetting' the area. Anyone got any ideas on this?? There's some box with hoses going into and out of it there. What is that thing??
  • ostazostaz Member Posts: 80
    I told the board a week ago that I would post the test results of my gas mileage. I added (as I do with my other vehicles) 8 Oz of Marvel Mystery Oil to 16 gallons of gas. I also added 1 pint to the crankcase. The results are; 16 MPG in the city and 21 on the hwy. I have not tested the Trooper without, so I don't know what to expect.
    I didn't use the A/C (excecpt for a few miles), and I have a light foot on the pedal, and every thing so far is stock.
    Just looked ... mine is dry.

What's Marvel Mystery Oil?
    No wet spot on mine either.

The box you see should be the fuel pump. Note where it is, you might have to change it on the trail some time!

-mike
  • cobbocobbo Member Posts: 34
    Aloha Ya'll...
    Just figured I had not posted in a while, so I'd
    give a quick update on "T3"...my 2001 Trooper LTD...just passed 16 months of ownership and 40,000 miles...brought T3 in for his 40K service and ended up needing the serpentine belt replaced (a little early if you ask me)...but all in all, no other problems....at least til that point...as I was shopping for replacement tires since I still had the original Bridgestones on & I have a preference for Michelins and replacing tires every 40K miles...

Anyway, I got caught in a torrential downpour this past week on the interstate & slowed down to put T3 in 4wd, but before I could get it done, we hit a large puddle on the highway in a section they had just redone last year (according to the state troopers they messed up the job and left big ruts to accumulate the water, resulting in a lot of these situations)...anyway, T3 hydroplaned right off the road and we went spinning 360s through a big ol' ditch in the median until careening into the guardrail before I could get him stopped (we ended up in about 2ft of water)...during this quick storm, 3 cars went off the road in that one 1/2 mile stretch alone & the wreckers were working the highway quite a while...

Anyway, my girlfriend & I were both alright, but T3 is in the shop, probably for 3 weeks while they get all the repairs done...he was undriveable as the front bumper was pushed into the wheels and a lot of the front crumpled...no intrusions into the passenger compartment, though...we escaped without a scratch, although J's chest was mildly sore from the seatbelt....
    I'm just happy we're both okay, and glad for the insurance since as of now it looks like about $10k worth of damage to the truck....love T3, so now I just hope that he's gonna be alright...
    I'll update more when I know more...
    -Cobbo
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Those pics are awesome - Thanks savvas_e!

I'm glad our Trooper won... One thing I noticed though is that despite its name, the race seems to be low profile. Not many vehicles to begin with mostly older models - how about that 1968 Peugeot 504 Sedan taking on the 2000 Ford Ranger in Leg 1, outracing one 2001 Jackaroo in Leg 2 and two of them in Leg 3!

Is it a truly major 4x4 event in Australia that gets a lot of coverage or is it just one of many similar events each year?
  • notbrockyatesnotbrockyates Member Posts: 19
    New '02 Trooper. 165 miles. Bad battery. Dealer swapped for good battery. Drove 2 miles, both "check engine" and "low power" lights came on, lost about 80% of power - pulled into lot. Turned off, back on. Check engine light still on but other light off and power OK. Took back to dealer. They immediately scoped it, found nothing wrong, told me not to press on the accelerator when starting (duh, I read the manual) and sent me on my way. Did they forget something when replacing the battery - some kind of reset? Or am I going down some unhappy road.... Thanks.
    Perhaps you didn't let the battery charge enough before going on your way? Usually after a vehicle needs a jump start it is a good idea to let it idle for some time to build up sufficient charge in the battery. The other thing is that you could have a bad alternator. You will find that out in a day or so, or 1/2 hour of driving when the battery goes dead again. In my opinion it is nothing.
    I posted the (long) conclusions to the installation of the overlander rack in the modifications forum (post 1682) for those interested.

MWWST