Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• teacherjimteacherjim Member Posts: 52
    I have Blizzack snow tires for my 2001 Trooper, last year I had the tires put on the stock rims. I don't want to have to take the stock tires off the stock rims this winter, does anyone know where I can buy CHEAP factory steel rims?, I would buy factory type mags but they cost to much. Any idea's? Thanks
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    check ebay for a used set of isuzu factory rims that you can throw a good set of tires on.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I've heard the same - Ascender is basically the same as the long wheelbase versions of Envoy and Trailblazer. You'd probably have to get Ascender warranty work done at an Isuzu dealer. This makes the Ascender possibly even less appealing than the GM or Chevy versions of the Ascender/Envoy XL/Trailblazer EXT.
    I spotted a classified from one of the local Isuzu dealersin today's Detroit News/Free Press. 2001 Anniversary Edition Trooper, 8k miles. $25,000. Nakamichi stereo, leather seats. It didn't say moonroof but I think that is standard on the Anniversary Edition Trooper.

$25k for this vehicle seems pretty good. Just thought I'd post it as a reference point for people considering new '02 Troopers.
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    Treated correctly, there should be no problems with the trooper transmission. It is after all, a GM Hydramatic which are quite tough.

However, the non-dipstick design is just sheer stupidity on behalf of Isuzu. I suspect that entry of water, dust and other contaminants that can be encountered while off-roading may be the reason for this design. But I think it would be preferable to have a dipstick with a sealing/locking tube arrangement.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Any Patrol fans lurking here?

wishnhigh1 "Nissan Patrol" Sep 15, 2002 1:34pm

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    the old dipstick kind (like I have...a '95) do have a kind of locking seal. I'm not sure how well it works. You push the dipstick all the way down and a bent piece of metal then snaps over the top to hold it in place. You also have to check the transmssion level by going through a couple of steps: Engine must be running when checked, and it has to be at a certain temperature. If you were driving on the freeway, you need to wait 30 minutes to check the level (yeah right). If you're in the city then you don't have to wait. This always kind of confused me as sometimes city driving is a lot hotter on an transmission than highway driving. Sometimes it's not (105mph to Vegas).
    ...have posted in the forum
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    It's just the LWB version of the Envoy with the V8 engine. It may be servicable at your local GM dealer but not sure. I know you can have your other GM clones all repaired at other GM dealers (GMC @ Chevy, etc.)

-mike
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    Tidester, some folks just never get the message.

And I wasn't giving Tidester a hard time in my earlier post. He's just unbelievably efficient. Mispell that name and BAM! He's there.
    I'm stubborn :) My personal feeling is if you can say it on TV then you can say it in here...

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I can't imagine how any water that got high enough to enter a dipstick from the top wouldn't wreak havoc in every other part of the motor?
    I bet doug could do it!

Speaking of which are you gonna come this saturday?

-mike
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I will point out that Paisan did not show up for my tutorial on using Edmunds spellchecker! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    As long as you are watching closely, is there anything that can be done to remove (move?) some of the old discussion boards?

Newbies seem to go to the main Isuzu board (/WebX?ed_displayMakeModelRelatedDiscussions@@.ee9204a!make=Isuzu&model=All) and make entire new discussion topics rather than posting in existing topics. For example, do we really need an "1994 Isuzu Amigo Won't Run" discussion board or one only for "towing a 4 -4 Pickup Manual Trans"? Clearly these should have been posted on existing boards. While not yet a big deal, it is certainly possible for the system to be much less readable if everyone just creates a new board whenever they feel like it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Good point!

Generally, when a redundant topic is created we will request that the author repost his/her message in the existing discussion and mark the "new" topic as read only.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • harhirharhir Member Posts: 29
    The Anniversary Edition does NOT come with a moon roof. I had an offer for a 2001 Anniversary Edition for about 25K about 8 months ago. I did not take it because I do not like leather and running boards as well the color. Also the radio reception of the Nakamichi stereo was very poor. I think the antenna in the rear right window is just crap. The basic one in the front right fender is much better. I have a 2001 S 4x4 now.
    I am quite happy with it. Got it for about 22.5K almost a year ago.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    for the Rancho 9000's is 2.5 up Front and 2.0 in the Rear. Arguably but that seems to be the best combination for my 99' Trooper. I think the 2.0 in the Front is just too soft for my taste. All that discussion about the weight distribution front to rear a few weeks back, seemed to come to the wrong conclusion. The front is definitely heavier. This can be quickly evaluated by slowly going over a speed bump and watching the response of your suspension as each axle goes across. Try it out!!

Improved gas mileage on the 99' by using a higher Octane fuel. It surprised me, but it seems to be real. I'll report more as time goes by. I went to 91 Octane from 87 Octane.
    "I will point out that Paisan did not show up for my tutorial on using Edmunds spellchecker! :-)"

I did, I just added the alternate spelling of Ascendor to my dictionary! :)

-mike
    Could be ordered with a moonroof. Anniversary Edition was considered a LS model and thus was able to be ordered with the moonroof.

-mike
    Going over a bump and seeing how it rebounds isn't "proof" that the front is heavier than the rear.

I though run 4/3 on stock setup with the ranchos and now that I have stiffere front T-bars and OME springs in the rear I run it at 3/3

-mike
  • notbrockyatesnotbrockyates Member Posts: 19
    Saw some posts way back but nothing definitive and I'm getting bleary-eyed trying to find previously posted info.

Want to put aftermarket CD/Receiver in place of factory Cassette/Receiver but there was some issue with the two antenna leads with the '02 in-glass antenna system. Can anyone give some info on what's necessary to install an aftermarket system considering the 2 antenna leads specifically, and any advice in general (ease of installation - DIN I would hope - and so on.) Also, I think the 4" and 6.5" factory speakers need to go.

Thanks.
    That's my sentiment exactly! So I can't understand why there isn't a dipstick!

I NEED A DIPSTICK!!!!

There, got that off my chest now.
    Well had a very long night last night. I had to drive up to kingston NY with a rented U-haul flatbed trailer to retrieve my buddy Doug and his massive montero. he was offroading in MA and broke a tierod end, and put in a generic part that caused him to basically have one wheel turned while driving, causing him to swerve a lot and almost lost control on his way back. he called me up to help him out.

We loaded his 4600lb+ truck onto the 2100lb uhaul and headed home. The Trooper towed it well in "3" and even turned 10.5mpg @ 55-60mph. I wouldn't want to do it all the time but luckily we retrieved him.

-mike
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    I agree with you about the 4" speakers in the rear. They just don't have much range. The front 6" speakers can be replaced with Polk's and give you really good sound up front. The problem with the rear, is the small enclosure area. They will not hold any speaker of any size. If you go to Paisians home page, there is an instruction for putting sub-woofers under the back seat. It looked pretty clean, and I bet that would give you the improved range you're wanting. As for the receiver, go check out Crutchfields for help with sizing. They usually do a good job specifing demensions for many cars. As for the antenna with diversity, there was 2 cables coming to the receiver, but I don't recall reading if that was ever resolved, so the non-ISUZU radio could be used.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    That's a bummer about breaking a tierod end. I guess that is one problem with owning an older truck and taking it offroad (especially the way treekiller does), however it is probably better than breaking something on a new truck. I wonder if there is any good preventative measures one can take. I try to rustoleum rust spots once or twice a year.

I am trying to work out Saturday...but I am about 50 delta to go.
    They sell tie-rod protectors that basically bolt on and stiffen them up. I'm contemplating them very soon.

-mike
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    Some 5" speakers of decent quality will fit in the rear opennings under the stock covers without cutting the metal of either the speaker or the Trooper. New sheet metal screw holes will be needed, 10 seconds each with a drill and you cannot see the screws when mounted. Mine are Alpine 5" speakers, way better than the stock ones, they are a huge help for my rear facing kids as well as filling out the sound in the cabin for me.
  • bstone3bstone3 Member Posts: 97
    Coming up on the dreaded 30K service. Dealer wants $569 - but like hell. Plan to have an independent shop do the repack for the front wheel bearings $150 plus seals. I will change the radiator coolant and the differentials and transfer case - I just changed the auto transmission fluid and air filter and do my own oil changes - Mobil 1. Question is what do I need to change the differentials and transfer case - are there separate fill and drain plugs for these units? - I remember reading something about the additives for differential - only the rear one right? for the limited slip. Additive bought where - only at Isuzu? Thanks for any advice
    The rear speaker hole can accomodate some 5" speakers, just new screw holes will be needed (as boxtrooper stated). I installed 5.25" speakers under the rear grills, which required some cutting/bending of the current sheetmetal.

The sub under the rear seat in the hidden compartment (as seen on Paisan's site) I doubt would work well. Atleast as a sub. There is no air in the box for the sub to work with (which is important for sub box design). Then the speakers would function as regular mid's or high's, but would be blocked by the seat. I don't think it's a good idea/design, but that's just my opinion.

Good luck.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Assuming they haven't changed the manual since 99, the change interval for the diffs is 15K, 30K, and every 30K thereafter. The change interval for the TOD transfer case is, um...never. I still plan on doing mine at 50K.

The rear diff has obvious drain/fill plugs. You will need the limited slip additive, 4 oz. tube available at most any auto parts store.

The front diff has a disguised drain plug, it is the cover hold-down bolt at about 5 o'clock on the diff. The fill plug is on the other side IIRC and is obvious.

You will want to get one of the cheap hand pumps at the parts store to get the diff fluid into the fill holes.

Oh, and do it while it is warm. Diff fluid doesn't drain or pump worth a damn when it is cold out.
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    I am not doing the front bearings until I replace the front brakes. I had them checked (brakes) @70K and the shop said wait on the brakes till 80K. So, I will wait until 80K for my next 10K MB1 oil change and we will check the brakes again. I figure it is easier to do the bearings whilst (my olde English blood) doing the brakes. So, I would not sweat the 30K wheel bearing schedule unless you do a lot of off road. If I can 80K you can go 30K plus. Cheers to all.
    Bstone3, check out The Edmunds Maintenance Guide too.

Steve

Host

Thanks for the input - I will do the differentials myself. Checked the Edmunds Maintenance Guide - helpful but it sure underestimates the cost for repacking the front wheel bearings ($22). Isuzu want $269 and lowest priced local independent wants $150. I assume the TOD fluid is the transfer case fluid. It may be safe to extend the wheel bearing repack but I want to make sure I keep the warranty in affect. The more I look at other SUVs the more I recognize how well made the Trooper is. Its a quality vehicle. Its ashame the Trooper is on its last days - all because Isuzu failed to overcome the Consumer Reports article. Rather than go to court and loose maket value all they needed to do was upgrade a few components and illustrate their commitment to customer satisfaction. The GM replacement - even with all the bells and whistles is no Trooper. If I can I will drive it til one of us dies. The dealer here is down to his last S models - all 4X4's. He has sold a bunch of them - I see them all over town.
  • mstaff1mstaff1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Trooper with 60,000 miles on it and two days ago we learned that the crankshaft bearings are shot. Has anyone out there had a serious problem like this with so few miles?
    not I
    I wonder if the repacking the front wheel bearings line item is a typo and we dropped the last zero? Anyone else have this done recently for less than $150?

Steve
    Host
  • mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    I know that in Phoenix, at the two local Isuzu dealers, the charge for repacking the wheel bearings on late-model 4wd Troopers is ~$100.
    Thanks! I'll send a feedback form in for the data people.

Steve
    Host
    I hope that its covered under the 120K mile warranty or the 60K miles if you bought it used. I found some site (usedcars.com?) yesterday that listed a billion - maybe a million - used cars for sale nationally - when looking at older Troopers the miles on many of them were extroadinary - 160K miles plus. Repack the front bearings for $100 - wish I lived in Phoenix. The mechanic here said it was a three hour job plus the seals.
    60,000 miles is ridiculously low for failure of crankshaft bearings. Can you tell us what the symptoms are and what makes you think it's a bearing problem? The only way I can see such a problem occuring is a lack of lubrication for a prolonged period.
    My Monterey will be in for a 50,000km (30,000mile) and auto transmission service in two weeks time. I'll ask how much a bearing repack is down under.

IIRC, a 50,000km service doesn't include a bearing repack and the dealer has already told me that it is $180AUS for the service, with the auto service being another $130AUS.

I've decided to go with a tranny service because on weekdays it is only doing 14kms per day in short repeated trips. In other words, doesn't get a chance to get to operating temperature too often.
    I got a quote from a shop around here (SE Mich.) that was well under a hundred bucks. That seemed way too low. It makes me wonder whether there's a "right" way and a "quick" (i.e., cheaper) way to repack the wheel bearings?
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    if it is the first time to repack I think it is OK to do it late. After that or if it has been in water or lots of dust, I would not wait past 30K miles. I had a bearing freeze up on my 1984 Trooper. Driving on ice patched road the right front tire would stop turning on ice and sreach back into motion when back on dry pavement.
  • mstaff1mstaff1 Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately, we are covered under the 60,000 powertrain warranty and our mileage is at 60,059. We are negotiating with Isuzu for coverage now, hopefully it works out. We had no warning of any problem and have performed routine maintenance on the vehicle since it was new. While on an 7 hour trip, the engine began a slight knocking which continually got worse until we had to pull over. This all happened within just a few miles. No warning lights came on at all. The mechanic at the dealership came up with the crankshaft diagnosis.
    At only 59 miles over warranty, I believe Isuzu has no option but to accept this as a warranty repair. This is a major failure that they must reasonably accept.

Question on the maintenance. Did you perform the oil changes or was it left to the dealer? If it was the latter, then you also have recourse on that servicing dealer.

Hopefully this all blows over quickly for you, and you can get on with enjoying what otherwise should be quite a fine vehicle.
  • hemsley1hemsley1 Member Posts: 21
    I'm buying a Trooper from a guy (Dave) with 126,000 miles on it. It ran perfect when I test drove it, I was supposed to pick it up on Sunday.

Dave called me today and said that he was driving it and all the warning lights popped on, but it still ran OK. Dave said he took it to his mechanic and the guy said that the "Relay switch from the alternator went out and that it would run fine. However the blowers will not work, for the A/C or heat" The entire alternator would have to be replaced because of this switch...Has anyone else heard or dealt with this?

I just want to make sure if I put a new alternator on it that it will be fine. Dave said he would drop the price down to $4400 because of the problem (which I think is a good deal). I really like the truck and want it but I don't want to make a mistake that I will regret. I would love some feedback on the situation...Anyone know what a new alternator runs?
    That's a somewhat common problem. Not really common, but common when you see the warning lights pop on and the fan blower cuts out. Personally I'd purchase it but I'd make him fix it before you pick it up, basically make the sale contingent on it being the alternator.

-mike
    The guy could be telling the truth. But it's possible that his mechanic has not properly diagnosed the problem. Even if the price is right, I'd rather not take his word for it. At a minimum, have a shop of your choosing look the truck over and specifically tell you what's w/this alternator stuff. You don't want to get into a huge problem, just to save a few hundred bucks on the initial purchase price of the truck.

My guess is the seller may not want to fix the problem - on an older vehicle that's not worth a whole lot, he probably just wants to be rid of it. I just sold a 95 Ford Contour tonight. The AC didn't work and the ABS warning light was on. I just didn't feel like fixing these expensive problems before selling. I was up front about it - could have pulled the ABS fuse and kept quiet, but that's not me. Anyway, the seller bought the car at face value.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    We have had a few reports of piston rod bearings on cylinder #1 going out, not enough necessarily to be a trend. Maybe that is what your mechanic was referring to?

Haven't heard of any trend toward crankshaft bearing trouble before.