Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    I'm not sure how slow your window is, but mine was very slow. It took about 20 seconds for it to go up. My initial thought was that the motor was going bad, but after spraying silicon lubricating spray into the window track and running the window up and down a few times it was as fast as ever.
  • adticaadtica Member Posts: 4
    Just picked up my new '02 trooper yesterday, it is my 3rd Trooper(2 company cars a '99 S and '01 S). I still drive the '01. This is for my wife and it is a LS 4x4, satin in color. In addition to the standards (moonroof, 6 changer CD heated seats) it had a trailer hitch, and a sport step bumper. The dealer had added plastic wood dash that looks ok, 39 miles on the clock.

Now talk about deals, Isuzu has a $4500 rebate to the dealer and they went invoice + $500 into the holdback. They also had a '02 Limited demo usage with 6000 miles that they would give $1,000 of the holdback to the purchaser. I walked out with the LS for $26,383. This did not include taxes, license and title. Where else can you get a 4x4 with all this equipment and a 120,000 warranty for this money?

Now is the last time anyone will be able to own this fine vehicle for so little money. I know I bought last years model, that's discontinued, and has a reputation for poor resale from a dealer who in all likelyhood won't be an Isuzu dealer for long.

Couldn't resist.
  • kmcgirlkmcgirl Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely give it a try. Better than having to go back to the dealer and have them tell me its within allowable operating specs...

The window has become real slow, twice as slow as the passenger window, and when it gets close to the top, it almost sounds like it won't make it.

-Kevin
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Didn't those rebates expire at the end of September? Anyway, you did very well and good luck with your new Trooper.

As a side note, with a bit more 'dealing' some of us (including me) did even better a couple of months ago :-)

Oh yeah, that satin gold is hot stuff too... the first and the last year the color was offered and only on LS... it looks silver, no wait, it looks gold, well, it looks so different every time, doesn't it?
  • 96_i30_5sp96_i30_5sp Member Posts: 127
    I have been researching the Trooper lately and have narrowed my choice to 98+ models but I am very concerned with the crashworthiness of the Trooper. I can live with the offset crash ratings but I was shocked when I looked at the results from 4 bumper crash tests: http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/low_speed_midsuv.htm. The Trooper had the highest repair cost by far, with a total of almost $12k! The next closest in expense was the Montero with $9300 but the average cost for other SUVs was between $2k and $6k. Are the Trooper bumpers really so bad? BTW, the tested Trooper was a 2000 model, any ideas if earlier or later bumpers perform better?
  • notbrockyatesnotbrockyates Member Posts: 19
    OK, the cute little beepy horn has to go. I've heard more vigorous horns on a Little Tykes three-wheeler. Any ideas? The horn is supposed to serve as an audible warning device, not a grin generator for other drivers.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    The crash testing results based on repair cost are a bit misguided I think. Adding the four means paying to replace the hood twice and the rear door twice so not a good add up. Sure it would be nice not to have any repair costs, but repair costs are not more important than crumple zones. In a bigger accident the Troopers crumple zones protect the driver. And with the Trooper much of the crumple zone is the other car. Those tests are heavy SUV meets incredibly strong non moveable wall, naturally the forces are very high. In the real world whatever you bump into is likely to move and that will reduce the damage to your Trooper.

I think aftermarket bumpers and paison's rear bumper guard would help that repair cost a lot, unless the hit was hard enough to bend the frame.

I have had two Troopers since 1984 and each have been hit twice. The 1984 was sandwiched on the highway at rush hour (where I stopped but the heavyier old brakeless car behind plowed right into my Trooper and slammed me into the car in front of me). So I can say first hand that just about any significant hit front, rear, corner, sandwich will cost around $3000 to $4000 per end of the car to repair. But the insurance company was always able to come up with the money. Sadly, test like you describe are what the insurance comapnies look at to set the price of insurance, they don't take into acount that the Trooper gives the driver an excellent view and great ability to avoid such accidents.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    If you get rear ended, it's the other guy who is paying for the repair, so it's not an issue, if you back into something then, it's your own darn fault so shame on YOU! ;) Actually several people on this board have gotten hit in the rear and none of them have had the extensive damage that the "pole" test has showed would occur.

As for horns, I installed a set of triple trumpets from Hella in parrallel with the stock horns 2 years ago, and they still work perfectly! Just installed a set on my buddy's Trooper as well. Pics at: http://isuzu-suvs.com/trooper/horn-nudge.html

Horns from were $38 from http://www.susquehanna.com/susq/index.htm

-mike

• bstone3bstone3 Member Posts: 97
    About that crash worthiness stuff - all I can say is that my insurer USAA rates the Trooper a 1 in crash ratings for both passengers and driver = best you can get - and the premuim is relatively low (compared to my cars) - so all that big time damage in the back and the front end for that part must be a pretty rare occurence - the Trooper has mass - and in 99% of all accidents - you win. The Trooper is without doubt one of the finest vehicles I have ever owned - over a year old now and 29K miles and everyday I jump in the thing and start up for work in the morning (tune in John Boy and Billy) and go damn - this is nice. Now those are horns!
    Let's be honest... Trooper isn't as safe as most of other modern, but more expensive, SUVs (BMW X5, Acura/Honda, etc.) Though it's decent safetywise, it worries me that there are no side airbags and your feet get crushed during severe crashes.

As far as insurance premiums go I must admit they are probably the lowest of ALL SUVs out there. With a few discounts here and there I'm paying ~$660 a year for good, comprehensive coverage with GEICO; the same amount as for our Corolla...
    I dunno about how dangerous. The X5s are self-igniting.

Several members here have T-boned at speed and no intrusion to the passenger space.

Also one of the reasons that the Trooper got discontinued was that it doesn't have Federally mandated crumple zones required for MY04 IIRC. Which means that during those barrier crash tests you will get more damage, whereas when it's car v. car instead of your car crumpling, you will use the other guy's car as a crumple zone. I like that idea better!

-mike
  • gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    I want that front bumper! NOW!!!

I did tell you guy's that Holden is serious about taking over Isuzu's SUV role in the GM Asia Pacific region! I haven't seen this here yet, but the Sydney Motor Show is in about two weeks time.

You may also remember the bubbling wiper arms mentioned a few months back. I had mine replaced under warranty at the 50000km service last Tuesday. They also replaced the driver's seat mounting rail as there was some play in it. Total service cost ... $122AUS.

PS...I also found out what a bearing repack is worth here. $130AUS at a dealer, maximum.
  • harhirharhir Member Posts: 29
    There are two mayor reasons why the costs are so high:

1. The spare tire on the back. When they run the car against the barrier, the spare tires gets hit first, which also damages the rear door. The Monterey has the same problem. But I like the spare tire on the back, because the cargo level is much lower compared to other vehicles

2. It is an imported Japanese vehicle manufactured outside the US. And for these imported vehicles the spare parts are much more expensive than for cars produced in the US. Unfortunately this is the truth.
    I owned a Tracker/Vitara once and had to replace the dome light switch in the door. This little switch was about $37 !!!!!!.

But I still love it. It is a great car. And now I guess since it is running out you can get it for a very good price right now.
    Got mine last year with almost $8000 off the MSRP.
    I also have seen offers here in Dallas for almost $10000 off MSRP. Unfortunately most of the Troopers offered here in Texas are only 2WD.

Stefan
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Last week, I was rear-ended by a Jeep Cherokee. I was going about 50 mph and slowed down; Jeep didn't slow down enough. His front bumper's 2 rubber guards hit my 98 Trooper's rear bumper; no contact with spare tire. There was no damage, even though the Cherokee gave my Troop a pretty good jolt.

3 years ago, my 96 Trooper t-boned a Caddy Seville. I was doing about 40mph at time of the 90-degree impact; Caddy was probably doing 40-45. Trooper was totaled, with lots of damage to engine compartment as well as right side from hitting the van next to me, but no passenger intrusion. My feet and legs were fine.

The newer Trooper is a big heavy, well-built vehicle. Despite its lack of cutting-edge safety features, I feel it's a very safe vehicle.
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    My friend's wife was stopped in her 2wd LS when a full size pick-up hit her from the rear at 25+ mph a couple of months ago. The pick-up's front end was demolished but at first glance, you could hardly see any rear-end damage to her LS. The hitch absorbed most of the impact but the bumper was replaced (along w/ the hitch) & the spare tire cover was re-painted due to a couple of minor scratches from the impact - no rear door damage whatsoever. Total cost of the repairs were around $2500, IIRC.

As far as insurance, my '00 LTD is far less to insure than my '98 SHO. I'm strongly considering selling it for a '00 or newer Trooper while I still can find one - especially since I would have to carry product samples & large catalogs...then to convince my AWA that we need 2 Troops like we needed 2 SHO's... :)
  • dmuzykadmuzyka Member Posts: 31
    Thanks to Paisan and all the others out there - last weekend I put (well, my mechanic did...I have a tough time finding the right end of a screw driver...) poly sway bar bushings and a full set of Monroe Reflex shocks on my '01 2WD - the ride is incredibly settled and firm - no more bouncing around, a noted difference in lean around winding freeway ramps...I'm very pleased, and wished I hadn't waited until 24K to do it!! I shopped around and got the Monroes for $40 each at O'Reillys (some places wanted up to $75 each!!), and my trusted mechanic put all of it on and aligned the front end, oil change, and wiper blades for under $200. BTW, he said the original shocks probably breathed their last decent breath around 12K. I'm surprised Isuzu wouldn't put a better shock on a $30+ vehicle. Meanwhile, it's a sad day that the Trooper is no longer available (as an '03 at least)...there's a strong feeling in the auto industry that with a dearth of new product, Isuzu may be gone from these shores as early as 2004. That would be unfortunate....but if the Trooper's gone, the Axiom and Rodeo riding on ancient platforms (not very good ones, I may add) and responsible for Isuzu's low initial quality ratings (my Troop's been perfect), the star will inevitably fade on the Trailblazer/Envoy/Ascender and there ain't much left, with little development money. Too bad.
    What makes you say the Rodeo and Axiom are on bad platforms? I loved my '97 and they did have some issues in '98 with the re-designed platform, '99->present the Rodeo is excellent. The Axiom has the same driveline as teh Trooper and is doing great reliability wise.

I'm hoping that in '04 they introduce the new Rodeo with I4 and V6 diesel engines which may help them survive.

-mike
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I have had an Axiom for about a year and 14,000 miles and have had NO problems. After owning two Troopers I feel the quality of the Axiom is equal to that of the Trooper.
  • emiuraemiura Member Posts: 59
    I don't know about the crack problem you mentioned, but Isuzu specifies bolt tightening torque to 3.9 - 7.8 N-m (0.9 - 1.8 lb-f) for those M6x35 mounting bolts. The instruction also says to use sealant in the threaded holes (maybe to prevent water getting inside??)

...Eiji...
  • flyinlowflyinlow Member Posts: 62
    The Isuzu number to call if your Trooper's window sticker said it has foot rests (but it doesn't) is 800-255-6727. They offered us a choice of OEM nose mask (bra) or hood protector (air deflector) but we didn't want either. They agreed to send the ski rack, instead. I haven't mounted it yet, but it's a very high quality Yakima rack except for the lightweight brackets that mount into the roof studs. The brackets actually have a rubber bumper that will lie on the paint to support some of the weight. Also, the cross bars are curved so an Overlander Expedition rack will be difficult or impossible to mount. Good luck. Incidentally, the paperwork that came with the rack showed a list price of $340.49 and a dealer cost of $143.00. I wonder if that's the markup on all Isuzu parts??
    Just a note, I did a backroads drive yesterday with a bunch of my subaru buddies in PA. Lots and lots of twisies at speed. The Trooper (even lifted) handled great with no rollover at all. I actually kept it in 2wd so that I could drift it a bit, I was afraid of grip-roll effect using the AWD. I don't know what on earth the guys at CR were smoking when they rolled that Trooper!

-mike
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I think CR was overcome by greed knowing that a good news making roll over event would get them more free advertising than they could buy. They should have a disclaimer on the front of all the CR publications stating their willingness to falsify data to get free advertising and list the cases where they have done this. Before long the entire cover would be taken up by the list.
  • zutrooperzutrooper Member Posts: 66
    Guys, Anyone running 33s on 15x10 rim on a 98+ trooper w/ ome lift? I know 15x8 works fine. I also know that 15x10s work on the 93-98 models, I did it once. I really need to know that if 15x10s rub in the front. I'm looking to pickup a set of tires from Sam J @ Uhwarrie. TIA< MArk
    I'd think that 15x10 would be fine, wider rims are usually better for tires to be on.

Looks like uwharrie is gonna be fun. <2weeks away. I wish I was taking my Trooper, but it looks like I'll be driving the SVX down.

-mike
  • zutrooperzutrooper Member Posts: 66
    Mike: Yeah Uhwarrie is going to be great. It looks to be a good sized group. Hopefully, I'll get a clear answer on tires. Sam J mentioned that tires rubbed on a '01 w/o lift. MArk
  • tle_portaltle_portal Member Posts: 8
    Hi all,

I have an '02 Trooper; is it normal during uphill climbing to feel what is possibly the drivetrain or mechanical movement under the front passenger's feet? Just wanted to check before taking to the dealer...
    I'd say yes, since the Transfer case is right under the seat. If there is any vibration it might vibrate the floor a bit.

-mike
    We are looking at about $2400 so far in damages and that doesn't include damage to the side steps that will need repair.

-mike
  • kevtomkevtom Member Posts: 11
    Bought the '02 in July and has 3100 miles. The front passenger seat squeaks unless I am driving on a very smooth road. If I drive on a mildly rippled road or worse yet a dirt road, it squeaks like heck. This is with and without someone sitting in the seat.

Called the service dept. and they said that unless the seat is not bolted down tightly that there is nothing they can do. He said that there have been others that have reported the problem to him and basically Isuzu has not recognized this as a problem. He went on to compare it to a mattress with squeaky springs meaning they would have to go inside the seat to fix it.

When I pressed the fact that this is a new vehicle that has developed what I consider to be a defect/problem not due to my negligence, he said I could bring it in but would have to leave the vehicle 4-5 days to be sent to an upholstery shop and Isuzu would not provide a loaner.

Has anyone else had this squeaking problem with a new vehicle? Am I handling this the right way on insisting they do something? Since it's so new I'm trying to get it taken care of before they could say the squeak was due to age.

Thanks.
    kevin
  • pugger1pugger1 Member Posts: 42
    Thanks Flyinlow, I contacted Isuzu and they were really nice about the foot rest question. My sticker didn't show them. I am not entitled to anything.

WHAT KIND OF MILEAGE IS EVERYONE GETTING? 629 mile interstate trip and I received 16.6. Speed averaged about 65. Can I do anything to make it better?
    How many miles on there? If it's under 10K miles you'll do better milage after 10K. Increase your Tire Pressure to about 37f,42rear.

-mike
    You might try calling Isuzu for some help getting service on the seat or go to another dealer if possible. If you have a problem with a part of your Trooper then it is a problem. It sounded a lot like the dealer did not want to deal with your seat and gave you a line. If the seat is not repair able then replace it. Bottom line is the entire vehicle is under warantee, not just the things that they recognize as problems. What did they tell the first guy to have any problem, sorry we do not recognize this as a problem? Call Isuzu.

Philip
    Milage is 5500 so I guess I will wait. I will also check my pressure.

Philip
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    my front drivers seat squeaks over bumps. I think it is the springs in the cushions...It is annoying, especially when bouncing across sand dunes for 20 minutes...I am not too concerned about it however.
    Paisan - Will your suggestion to increase tire pressure to 37f and 42r have any adverse effect on tire life expectancy?

Is it a tradeoff between saving at the pump but spending money more often at the tire shop or is the effect of increased pressure and tire degradation negligible (and is it still safe) in case of our Trooper?
  • 96_i30_5sp96_i30_5sp Member Posts: 127
    I just read this report: http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/021007/autos_japan_isuzu_1.html and it seems that Isuzu is gradually folding its SUV business. I am considering getting a late model Trooper but if Isuzu is on life support, I may have to look elsewhere.
  • chomama1chomama1 Member Posts: 15
    I haven't seen any posts about this so if someone has opinion, let me hear it. I got this brochure about the Isuzu Protection Plan, which I guess extends your basic warranty. Its a little confusing, there is the "Select" plan and the "Ultimate" plan. Anyone have this and think its worth it? Don't know what to do. I have 2001 S 4wd.
    Your tire life expectancy will actually increase with slightly higher pressures. Downsides? Bumpier ride. Handling will be crisper, better milage. It's possible if they are too inflated that you'll get center tire wear. For me I replace my tires every 25-40K so even if it cuts down a 50K tire to 40K that's not a big issue for me.

-mike
    I too am looking into the extended warranty plans. Not sure which I'm gonna get though.

-mike
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    Slow down. Seriously. The Trooper does much better at 60-70 than it does at 65-75. And I know when you said 65, you meant 65 to 75... :o)

Paisan is right about the tire pressure.

I found that using Mobil 1 seems to have increased my mileage a little. It could have been the K&N air filter though.

Overall, at 65, I'm happy with 18.5. If I'm driving to New Jersey on 78 through Pennsylvania (flat), I might get 20. If I'm driving out 68 towards Western Maryland, I'd be happy with 18.

Around town, I get maybe 14. Lots of stop and go on my commute.

And on a personal note, I hope the State Police capture and kill the wackjob that's picking off folks here in Maryland. And then I hope he rots in Hell. I know this isn't the place, Sorry.
  • kmcgirlkmcgirl Member Posts: 8
    My seat just started that a month ago, I have a 2001S (18k miles). It is only the driver seat in my vehicle, hasn't bugged me enough to pursue a fix yet. Let us know what the dealer does to fix it.

KeeponTroopin - I sprayed alot of silcone in the driver window weather stripping as you suggested -it definitely improved the windows performance, but it's still only 80% as compared to the passenger window. I think I'll just watch it for a while, I still have 2 years on my warranty.

-Kevin
  • troopernewbietroopernewbie Member Posts: 60
    Anyone ever have this happen?

The pin that the turn signal stalk pivots on worked it's way up and out on my '98. The stalk came off in my hand while attempting to signal a turn.

It took all of 10 minutes to put it back together, but I'm wondering if it will happen again. I guess if it take another 55,000 miles before it goes again it won't be a problem! Just curious.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's another story about Isuzu "folding shop" in the US:

Isuzu to end SUV output in U.S.

But it really seems that the joint venture is being dissolved and Isuzu's will still be available here:

Reuters

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Spoke to the service manager at the dealer today (Lou Sobh in Atlanta). As I began recounting what happened yesterday, he asked if I had brought it in, I told him no and said that was the reason for my previous call. He stated that he did not understand why I was told the stuff I posted here yesterday and that this is a new vehicle and everything is covered and if there is a problem it needs to be fixed. He expressed his concern that the person I talked to yesterday gave me wrong information and asked if there is anything else wrong with the vehicle. I have an appointment tomorrow for them to look at it. I feel much better after talking to the service manager and I did not have to "demand" anything. He was very quick in correcting the information I was given yesterday.

I did ask about the AT gear shifting because this is my first Isuzu and 4x4. I do not have the Auto 4x4 activated. When driving in a 35-45 mph area, I don't press the gas as far as when I'm getting on the interstate. What happens is that when it gets to 30-35 mph I am already in the highest gear with around 1800-2000rpm. It seems to go through the gears very fast especially the 3rd gear. At times it seems to go in 4th and back into 3rd for a moment before going back into 4th.

He told me that this sluggish feel due to it going through the gears quickly at those speeds is its way of trying to provide better gas mileage. He suggested that at speeds below 55 (or basically when I'm doing city driving) that I keep the transmission in 3 instead of D to avoid that sluggish behavior. Is this how others drive in the city with an AT?

kevin

kevin
  • cobbocobbo Member Posts: 34
    Aloha again ya'll...
    Just catching up on some of the posts and figured that I would put my own 2 cents in, so here we go...

Replace your tires on a Trooper at intervals of 35,000 miles or less...I waited to replace mine at the 40,000 mark (as I had done with 3 prior SUVs over the past 12 years) and low and behold the trooper hydroplaned off the interstate at 39,936 miles. While my passenger & I walked away without a scratch, my Troop was not so lucky as we careened into the guardrail, crushing the front end. $11,550.00 and one month later I have my baby back and the first thing I did was go buy a full new set of Michelins...still have one or two post accident kinks to work out (including getting over a month in a clown-car sized rental to fit under my insurance reimbursement) and I've got to consider replacing my baby if they can't work out the final bugs...Too bad the Ascender has prevented any local dealers from stocking a black limited 4x4 gold package for me to replace mine with...

Anyway, hope ya'll are having a good week & will write more later...BTW, just to cut off any arguments that the hydroplane was driver error I was doing 15 mph less than the prevailing speed of traffic & 3 other cars all hydroplaned off within 1/2 mile of me from the sudden storm...appears there is an ongoing investigation about a stretch of the highway which was repaved last year & left large ruts consolidating the water & causing such accidents...Hasta la pasta,
    -Cobbo
    Keep it in D. You said you just got it right? The tranny ECU takes about 2K-5K miles to "learn" your driving habits. So give it some time. Also it is probably not dropping to 3rd gear. It is probably just unlocking the torque converter in 4th which is normal. If you feel it shifting a lot between 3/4 then put it in 3. Most of my driving is city, but it's stop and go not 35-40mph.

-mike
    I got it in July and have 3300 miles logged. About 5-6 trips of approx. 300 miles round trip and the rest driving around city/suburb streets. It seems to do the drop back to 3rd gear during the acceleration from a dead stop within a 35-45 mph zone. Your explanation of the torque converter makes sense because it is such a brief moment. When I punch the gas, there is a more pronounced shift and acceleration. Thanks for the advice.

kevin
    Be sure to check out http://isuzu-suvs.com I put up all kinds of good info there How-tos etc.

-mike

• serranoserrano Member Posts: 107
    Kevin-

You can also select the "Power" mode for the transmission, which will alter the transmission shift points. You will find it much less hesitant to downshift.

Tom