Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    Nice to have you.

sbcooke wanted to be sure you understand that TOD is as good as it gets: it's full time 4WD high. Your truck has a limited slip differential in back, too, so compared to most "four wheel drives" (which have open differentials and can only bang on the front axle or disengage the front axle) you are putting a lot of traction on the road.

I think you will find that TOD is better than 4 wheel drive low in most snow situations because it can shift power from back to front depending on what's slipping. If you put it in 4 low, you can easily start all four wheels spinning with all the power coming out of the engine and the halved gear ratios. Plus, of course, with 4 wheel low, your top speed will be in the 35 to 40 range, I think (and the engine will be revving at that speed).
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    The Trooper has a "diversity" antenna. Both rear side windows have an antenna element on the glass, a computer continuously selects the best signal between the two.

So they both should probably be hooked up. I would hook up both and see how it goes - I am just wondering why they were unhooked in the first place...
  • skanichskanich Member Posts: 3
    Over the past few weeks I have noticed a yellow fluid under my 99 Trooper. I am not aware of any fluid that would be yellow in the vehicle and have put it off as possible animal urine as the truck is left outside. Does anyone have any ideas on this or know of a yellow fluid that may be used?
  • mbednorzmbednorz Member Posts: 63
    See previous post about Reflex shocks on a 2001 2WD Trooper. Been a couple of weeks now. After settling in, most of the initial lift is gone. The rears were definitely a little too stiff at slow speeds on irregular roads, leading to a "jiggly" ride in the back seat. But then I installed a Draw-Tite trailer hitch (Class III), and the ride instantly smoothed out. That extra 30-40 lbs of inertia out at the end of the effective moment arm really damped things out. As for the Reflex technology, I can further confirm that the impact harshness is way down at all speeds. I can breeze over speed bumps that would have jarred my back teeth before. I'm impressed.

The Draw-Tite hitch was a fairly easy installation. One frame hole had to be enlarged by drilling it out another 1/8". Did it in about 2 hours in my driveway.

A comment about tire wear: One of my motivations in changing the shocks after "only" 22,000 miles was excessive tire wear (feathering and cupping). I've seen several posts here talking about Trooper tire wear that attributed it to alignment problems. Could be a major culprit is the weak factory shocks. IMHO, cupping is almost always due to poor suspension control by the shocks. I rotated my tires in different combinations to get minimum pull and noise(looked like they'd been rotated once already). Probably have to replace at least two of them within the year.
  • chiefdocchiefdoc Member Posts: 22
    I'm the proud owner of a 2000 LS with 80K miles. I've noticed that I get the old "loose marbles" sound from the engine when accelerating when I use regular or mid-grade gas. The noise disappears when I use premium, so I use it exclusively ($37/tank yikes). My questions are: 1) Has anyone else noticed this? 2) Is there a need to worry. I will also add that all the service has been performed and I've had no problems with this great vehicle.
    The only thing I can think of is brake fluid, or possibly differential gear oil. Where under the truck are you finding it?
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    89 octane is still ten cents more than 87 ocatane and 93 octane is only another ten cents more than 89 octane.. As the price of 87 octane continues to climb, the extra amount that premium costs becomes less and less significant as a percentage of your total fuel costs... So as gas prices go up, use more premium.
    I have been using only premium since the first time the lifter ticking happenned on my 1995 SOHC Trooper. I figure that by avoiding the pre-ignition I am reducing blow by and thereby keeping the oil cleaner.
    The discount warehouse stores like BJs Coctco and Sam's Club all have gas stations at some of their stores. At my local discounter's gas station, they only have 87 and 93 octane with the 93 octane price as good or better than the midgrade price elsewhere.
    Vote conservative, or watch the liberals in government come up with even more taxes on premium gas that us evil SUV drivers use.
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    Generally, a light spark knock under load won't hurt anything. I would try switching the service station where you buy your gas. '87 octane / regular unleaded should be sufficient to satisfy your engine's requirements unless you have carbon deposits on the plug electrodes, combustion chamber, etc., that is causing the pre-ignition - or bad gas from your station. Also, you will get more performance out of the regular unleaded (ignites quicker) than the other grades with today's electronic controlled engines...unless, you are able to manually or electronically step-up the igniton advance. Both of my high performance V-8 & V-6 SHO's recommend using '93 octane but they run just fine with better performance consuming regular '87 without audible pre-detonation.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Which conservatives would that be?

McCain challenging Bush on environmental issues

I love labels :-)

In other "eco" news, Eco drive records broken at Isuzu Challenge in Cebu

Steve, Host
  • notbrockyatesnotbrockyates Member Posts: 19
    Hello Jslakie and welcome. This is a very useful forum even though I am mostly a reader and "only" have a 2WD 2002. I added the bug deflector from Isuzu (on sale, easy to DIY), Westin chrome step bars for my 5' wife to climb aboard (easy to do again ...) and Rockford/Fosgate speakers (yup, easy.) If you are going to go seriously off road, you will probably be advised to get a heavier duty application on the step bars (Paisan has welded ones) but for my suburban on-roading, the Westins are fine and look pretty nice, too.
  • jslakiejslakie Member Posts: 9
    Thanks to all for the welcome and useful information.

sbcooke-TOD is indeed very powerful. I'm gonna read up more so I fully understand the system.

tkevinblanc-Thanks for the information. Now I better understand why I was the only 4X4 able to get out after our recent storm. Troopers rule!

sdc2-I had to unhook the antenna connections when I removed the factory radio. All aftermarket radios only come with one antenna recepticle however the new Troopers that use the "diversity" system have two antenna plugs-a large and small one. What I don't know is if these two are in addition to a separate signal booster or if the smaller one is that signal booster. Either way my next plan will be to try and identify to signal booster and attach it to the Alpine head units "power
     antenna" wire which I'm hoping will remedy the problem. I'll let you guys know if that fixes the problem?

notbrockyates-which Rockford Fosgates? I just installed RF 6 1/2's in the front doors. I've also added manik diamond series step bars which should be fine for me since I'm also not a heavy off road user (beach driving, light off roading)so they should be fine for me. Do you like the factory bug shield? I opted for the Weathertech version and tapeless window visors. I did have to drill a few small holes though did you?
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    Ditto what troop2shos said and try a tank or two with Techron fuel injector cleaner.
    We need to leave politics off this forum. I hate over simplified, bumper sticker slogans that pass for thought. Everything is more complicated than it seems. Please. PLEASE.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I go away for 3 days and bang tons of posts to catch up on.

Welcome to the new folks! :)

Be sure to check out http://isuzu-suvs.com

-mike
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you want political SUV talk, try the I don't like SUVs, why do you? discussion. That's a better place for it.

Steve, Host
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Everything is more complicated than it seems.

I want a bumper sticker that says that!! ;-)

tidester, host
  • greenmaxgreenmax Member Posts: 47
    Does anyone with a newer Trooper (98+) have a startup noise? I'm using Mobil1 10W-30 and after a cold night soak (30-40F) I hear some knocking sound from the engine that subsides after a minute or so. I've been thinking of trying a different oil. Any suggestions?
    "The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and easily leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. If you have a noisy valve train at startup, this filter is likely the cause."

The above quote about Fram oil filters comes from here - http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/
    interesting article. Problem is, he really only reccomends one filter, and that's brutally expensive... not that I'd mind paying if I could find it.
    I have to stand corrected. The lever does phyiscally connect to the transfer case. I just was searching through my shop manual and noticed that there is a diagram of the lever being phyiscally connected to the transfer case.

In my reading I also found out that when the ABS is engaged, the TOD system engages full 50-50 lockup to help maintain braking stability.

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    hmmm...that is interesting. I never feel any resistance or gear meshing when I use it. Can you supply any more specifics about how it works? Is it attached yet still uses a cable or air pressure to engage gears? or does it physically move a ring/pinion together to lock the center coupling? I have noticed that it moves as power is applied through the driveshaft.
    you had read my earlier post, #7177 to be precise. Not that you have to accept my conclusions, but for heavens sake I gave you the manual reference pages. Oh well, at least Bluedevils actually reads my posts.
    But mine is the non-paper version of the manual :)

I haven't looked at the Gear slector yet.

-mike
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Which version do you have and how did you acquire it?
    haynes

Pretty nice cd, I think it was like $100 or something.

-mike
    the same Haynes that sells the more generic paper manuals for lots of different vehicles? Do they have a web site for direct purchase or did you buy on ebay or something?
    I got it directly from them, it's the official Isuzu shop manual, isuzu doesn't sell their own.

-mike
    Not Haynes...
    Helm. I was on a conference call while writing those posts. It is Helm.

-mike
    paisan, how do you like using the electronic version of the manual instead of the paper? Is it easy, or have you printed the whole thing out for easier access? When you buy the shop manual from Helm, must you make a choice on which format to buy?
    I bought the CD cause it was significantly cheaper at the time. I'm online so much that looking at it online isn't a problem at all. If I go to do work, I will print out the pages for the items I'm doing. Works out nice cause you can get them all greasy and grimey and then just chuck them when you are done! :)

E-mail me privately for more details mike@iace.com

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, Haynes makes manuals but those are very generic. They usually try to cover 3 slightly different models with one manual.

I have one for my Miata but had to refer to Miata.net in order to advance my timing. Though they list some torque specs so it wasn't a total waste.

-juice
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Has anyone been successful in making playable copies (backups) of retail CDs??? I have the standard (2002) Isuzu 6-disc changer but everything I've tried so far (various programs, different blank CD colors and brands) returns the error message on the display screen.

They do work in my home stereo systems, so why not in the Trooper? It really stinks as I can't always carry my music everywhere :-(

EDIT: I just noticed (using search) that a lot of you do indeed play CD-Rs in the changer. Would you mind telling me what CD brand, what program, and/or what CD burner you guys use? THANKS!
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    The Jackaroo in Australia has a 6 speaker Eurovox sound system installed with either an in-dash single CD player and/or a 6 stack CD player.

They play CD/R's fine, but not audio recorded onto a CD/RW.
  • leedavidyoungleedavidyoung Member Posts: 102
    Hey Guys,

I am at the end of a four year lease with Isuzu Motors on my 99 Trooper and was approached today with a payoff option from Isuzu. The terms of my lease included a $12,600 payoff. Isuzu has offered the truck to me for $9,600. Boy they really don't want these Troopers back.

I have now purchased a high mileage, well maintained Trooper for $3000 less than my original plan. (It's hard to pretend that you are prepared to turn a truck in that has a 2" lift, 33" mud tires, a black steel bumper and a 2" protective coating of dried mud. I sure am glad it was handled over the phone.)

I mention this because the purchase price was lowered 3 times during my negotiations with them. Hopefully this will help anyone considering an off-lease purchase with Isuzu Motors.
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    leedavidyoung ... What a bargain!!! Good of you to share that info.

My lease is up at the end of November this year. My payoff is supposed to be $20k AUS. However, current trade-in values are running around the $30k AUS mark. I can actually end up $10k AUS ahead, which is unexpected.

Therefore, I'm considering trading it in on a new Nissan Patrol with a turbo diesel engine and Dtronic engine management system or Toyota Landcruiser Prado 4.0 V6, at a similar or lower lease cost to what I have now, finalise the existing lease, and pocket $10k!

It would be nice if Holden & Isuzu have the new 2004 Jackaroo out by then, but I doubt it.
    I've never bought a CD in my life! :)

I use Roxio EZ CD Creator and usually 3M/Imagination CDRs burned from MP3s.

-mike
    So what was the total you paid for you 1999 trooper? Payments + buyback?
    The end of my lease is this May. I have 2 more payments of $415.00. Total out of pocket will be the final two payments + $9,600. The $9,600 is the the adjusted residual value. $12,600 was the original residual value in the terms of the lease.

The mileage penalty is interesting as well. My mileage is always high, so I usually purchase or trade in my vehicles at the end of a lease. If I decided instead to return this truck to Isuzu Motors and walk away, I would owe close to $ 3,600 in mileage penalties not counting whatever they come up with for wear and tear.

I have been planning to purchase this truck from the beginning, I just never expected to have $3,000 shaved off the residual price in the process.
    so 4 year lease? at $415 with a $9600 buy back it is just under $29.5K.

I ended up paying mine off early so it works out to be less than calculated, however for my purchase...I put 4K down and had $405 payments for 60 months which is about $28.5K total.

I am just curious, because leases are/were very popular, and with cheaper buy backs, so your total cost is coming very close to just outright buying the vehicle...with the advantages/options of a lease.
    Yes

In this case two very different finance options: 60-note vs. 48 month lease were very close in final cost. But only because Isuzu lowered my obligation to them. A 60 month note is the better choice in most cases, especially with a down payment. I was upside down on my trade, so the lease allowed me to cover the loss without any out of pocket expense.

I am provided a vehicle allowance through my company. This allowance is a set amount each month. A lease allows me to keep the monthly payments within my company's limits. I have done this for years and tend to look at a lease as a 4 year note with a balloon payment on the end. I never recommend leasing to others because of the inherent risks involved. For my situation, I usually work the deal both ways (60-month note vs. 48-month lease) and take the best fit. With some of the low APR offers I have seen lately, a long term lease does not make any sense. IMO
    Question for those of you who have stuck with the stock tires (Dunlops?) - how many miles did you get out of them? A friend of mine thinks his are wearing pretty fast on his Trooper, a 00 or 01 model, not sure which.
    My stock tires were Bridgestone Duellers. They lasted about 45K. My second set (Dueller A/T's) lasted around 45K as well. Both sets had around 5K left on them when replaced. I rotate every 5K and would describe my driving style as moderate. Hope this helps.
    Are the OEM tire in general. (some got goodyears IIRC) I swapped mine at around 20K, probably could have gotten another 10K out of em if I wanted, and probably 25K more if I was like most people and change them late. I always change em early cause of my driving style.

-mike
    ...traction is a good thing. ;-)
    Our 98 came with Bridgestone Dueler 684s. Our 96 came with Goodyears - Wrangler AP, if I remember correctly. Haven't heard about Dunlops being original equipment on newer Troopers. In general, my opinion of Dunlop tires is pretty high.
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Not really, just a brain fart - my old 88 Pathfinder came with Dunlops. But yes the Troopers come with Dueler 684s now that you guys mention it.

Thanks for the replies, I will relay the info to my friend.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    My 1995 Trooper had 4 GoodYear APs on the ground and a Bridgstone Dueler 684 under the spare cover. I had asked to swap to the Duelers when I bought it, they said no, probably because they had already swapped away my Trooper's Duelers for someone else. The only thing good about the GoodYear APs is that they are quiet.
    The APs went 45K to 50K IIRC, that was 85K ago.
    History of tires on my 1995 Trooper:
    New to 45K GoodYear AP
    45K to 85K GoodYear RFA (low sale price)
    85K to 130K Dueler HL
    130 to present Dueler ATRevo
    Rated for traction, 1 = BEST Traction:
    1 = ATRevo by far
    2 = HL tread holds little rocks
    3 = RFA rubber got hard then no traction
    4 = AP only for clean pavement
    Rated for noise, 1 = Quietest:
    1 = HL very nice luxery SUV tire
    2 = AP GoodYear's quietest tire
    3 = ATRevo extremely quiet for an AT tire
    4 = RFA OK when new but quickly got louder
    Rated for handling, 1 = Best Handling:
    1 = HL very nice luxery SUV tire
    2 = ATRevo handling nearly as good as HL
    3 = RFA stiff
    4 = AP mushy
    My favorite by a wide margin is the ATRevo.
    Note that with 255/70/16 I get correct speedometer reading based on a watch and the mile markers on the highway.
    If you upsize the tires and want some idea of weight difference ask the tire store for the shipping weight of each size.
    Our 96 Troop had 51k on the OEM Goodyears when the truck was totaled. New tires were needed within 5-10k miles.

Our 98 Trooper went 52k on the OEM Bridgestone Duelers. Could have squeezed 60k but wanted new rubber on the truck with winter approaching.

Both my wife and I have a pretty easygoing driving style, and I think that helps us get more out of our tires than some folks.