Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• gprodickgprodick Member Posts: 36
    Man! I can't believe that some are getting upwards of 50k miles on 684's. I must drive like Paisan, as I blew through mine in 27k miles. I now have Scorpion 265/75's and have about 31k miles on them. They don't have a whole lot left. I'll probably get another 5k max before I change them. I don't rotate them as often as I should, but they are wearing evenly.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Either we have similar driving styles or we like to have fresh tires. I have about 30K miles on my Scorpion ATs as well in 275-70-16 and will likely be swapping them out in the next 10K-15K miles as well. I also am not as religious as I should be with rotations. :)

-mike
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    This surprised me, since the treadwear rating is only 180 which is really low. But even at 52k, ours had a reasonable, though fairly small, amount of tread. They definitely were not in the danger zone yet.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Anyone turn their Duelers in at 30K and get any money back because of the 50K or 60K treadlife warranty?
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    I got right at 49,000 miles on my original 684's. They need replacing now but would still have a lot more tread IF I had rotated them at proper intervals.

Still trying to decide on what tires to buy.
  • fourwd1fourwd1 Member Posts: 11
    Just got a Vehicle Recall Reminder postcard for Campaign # 00V-253 & 00V-376 (may be 001 instead of 00V, it was hand written). Anyone know what they are all about?
  • greenmaxgreenmax Member Posts: 47
    To all Trooper fans, here's a tip: Target has on clearance all grades of Havoline (Chevron-made) oil for only $0.68/qt! I loaded up on SL 5W-30 and 10W-30. :) BTW, they also have many other accessories and supplies on clearance, marked down 30% or more.
  • sdavitosdavito Member Posts: 71
    Hopefully Target isn't getting out of the oil business. That's where I buy my Mobil 1. They have the best oil prices by far in this area.
  • mbednorzmbednorz Member Posts: 63
    Thought I'd chime in on the tire wear. The '01 Trooper I just bought has Dueler 684s with 22,000 on them. I'd estimate they have another 10,000 to go. It would probably be more, but all four tires have feathering on the outside, which is accelerating the tread wear.

Just put on Westin Side Steps (black). Pretty easy installation (1.5 hours in my driveway). My wife really likes having the steps. I'm really pleased with the way they look; visually lowers and widens the vehicle. And a more rugged look than running boards. I can recommend these, if you're not doing rugged off-road. As the off-roadies know, running boards and side steps are the first to go when you run out of ground clearance to the side.
  • mpelmpel Member Posts: 23
    Have 51K on my '99 S. Front tires showed pretty good wear. Rotated them to the back hoping for a little 'evening out'. I'm not too concerned with performance...more concerned with value. What is a tell tale sign I need to change tires??

Also, the side steps...are those the black 'pipe' or 'tube' looking ones? How much would I pay for a set? Can I install without much car/mechanical knowledge?!?

Thanks (this chat room is awesome!!)
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    Tire wear bars showing through would be the minimum acceptable limits.
    I shop for value with respect to performance, quality & true cost over time. This criteria takes in a lot of variables that have to be considered. Damage & safety, related to the expectations of equipment performance & its intended purpose on any given vehicle, should also be part of the value equation - including the potential for risk & subsequent loss in its failure to adequately perform its job. The only thing between you & the "road"......is your tires.
    If you get a set of bolt ons, all you will need is to get a torque wrench. Check out overlander.com, they have a good variety of accessories, however they are very expensive...Good place to look, but you are better off shopping to purchase on google.com to get the best price.
  • cwp1cwp1 Member Posts: 3
    mpel - I just bought a pair of chrome Westins for $240. Install only added $30 so I took them up on it. It took an impact wrench to get the body bolts off, so there was no way I could have gotten them off with my Craftsman set. Note: In the Dallas/Fort Worth area, we have huge auto swap meets. Dealers bring in new and used step tubes with very minor scratches for about 25% of new price. They had black Westins for $50 (no chrome). Good deal if your looking for black.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    Everyone can choose their own comfort level, for me tire performance especially traction for braking and handling to avoid an accident and puncture resistance not to be stuck somewhere in bad weather changing a tire are more important than saving a few dollars.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    One of my headlights went out yesterday... ;-)
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    As someone noted above, Target is clearing out oil. In fact they are clearance pricing many auto items including headlight bulbs (GE, I think).
  • leedavidyoungleedavidyoung Member Posts: 102
    Mine keeps requiring an oil change every 3 to 4 thousand miles. What's next brake pads? Wiper blades? When will it end?

By the way I replaced my stock bulbs with PIAA extreme whites. It improves the lighting some, but I don't think it was worth the $65 price tag.
    I wouldn't drop the $65 again on the PIAAs.

-mike
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    This is the second time this winter I've had to refill the windshield washer fluid! What gives???
    I'm getting about 1000 miles to the Gallon on the wiper fluid in the front, and close to 3000-4000miles/gallon in the rear.

-mike
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sounds like some of you need a lemon law link <g>

Steve, Host
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Well at lunchtime I got a replacement bulb for $4.88 at Target (yes, on clearance). That's over 0.00009 dollars per mile for bulbs alone to maintain this Trooper! Where does it end...
    The JDM Hallogen HID Fluid in your headlights next time. For only like $300 you can get GENUINE JDM Halogen Headlight Fluid! It has a shorter life than standard bulbs but it's worth it. :)

-mike
    Mine too. I have to keep putting fluids in the fuel tank ;-)
    My windshield washer nozzel on the drivers side got stopped up. I removed the rubber tubing and pressed along the length and put it back together and now it works as new.

Those darn unreliable Troopers :-)
    I have to actually wash mine! What a bummer, when is Isuzu gonna get their act together on these trucks? Also last night I had to put air in the tires and set my own radio stations on the radio! Where is my lawyer?

-mike
    I had to get my thermostat replaced - $200, brakes done $450, catalytic converter replaced (under warranty), 30K service $400.

Last summer I had to have my steering column replaced due to premature wear (fortunately under warranty)

I am getting sub 15 MPG...more like 12 MPG on a good day. and up until recently I would have been afraid to take it on a long trip because it might overheat.

Stock shocks are pretty much gone in 15K miles, another cost.

I agree there are minimal major driveline issues, however there are issues as with any vehicle. In my book, the jury is still out on how reliable and long lasting this truck will be. I only have 30K on it.

Don't get me wrong I like my truck a lot, but I had a Nissan Altima for 6 years that needed no major repairs, and other than changing the oil and a brake job, I had no repairs done.
    How many times did your Altima hit the rough roads of the pine barrens? or the beach?

-mike
  • catmanducatmandu Member Posts: 53
    Has anyone out there replaced their P245 70 series factory tires with LT 245 75 series tires and if so, are there any problems besides giving up their hard side rear tire cover and trying to find a soft cover that will fit the larger tire? Thanks
    I'd personally go a little wider if I were going with a 75 series tire.

-mike
    That does suck.
    Is like a $10 part if that. How did it cost >$100 to get done????

-mike
    Oh, I can see the coolant change, gaskets, labor, shop charges, etc. getting to $200. You know dealers.

Anyway sbcooke, I hope it's just a bad streak and it gets better. The $400 30K isn't a fair thing to include in your lament, but the steering column thing makes me leery.

Are your shocks really gone? Mine are still functioning at 40K just about they way they always did (which is to say soft and spongy).
    Thermostat - they had to remove the intake manifold to replace it...or at least so they told me.

Yes, my Altima never did much hard driving, and I never swamped it. :-)

Shocks? Well there is some opinion that they don't hold up well over time. They are probably fine for everyday driving...I do take my truck offroad and bouncing over sanddunes can probably cause the stock to wear fast.

The steering column is a "common" issue in troopers...w/100K on them, they think that rubber boot over the joint ripped or something and let water get in and caused the premature wear...although they weren't really sure...I was just happy they agreed to fix it.

I too hope it was just a run of bad luck...and really none of the issues were major problems. I do beat on it sometimes so I can take some of the blame. However I bought a trooper expecting it to be able to handle the rigors of outdoor life.

I was not trying to rain on the parade of good luck everyone else is having. Only to point out there are issues...how many people have had to get the alignment done 3/4 times at different shops to get the pull left or right straightened out?

Overall I love my truck...no real complaints...just gripes.
  • catmanducatmandu Member Posts: 53
    Any difference in handling or power with a 75 series tire?
    Dunno, I run 275-70s I notice a slight decrease in power but i have a sports car if I want to get up and go fast :)

-mike
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    Hi Catmandu.... the 245/75 has an overall height similar to a 265/70 and has no problems on the Trooper. Some people in Australia fit them to Jackaroos when they replace the factory set. It gives you about a half inch increase in ground clearance too.

Personally, I would go with the 265/70. The 75 aspect ratio of the 245/75 will give you a bit of a degradation in cornering as there is more flex in the sidewall. The 265/70 will go someway to countering that through the wider tread.

Either tire will lead to a slight drop in acceleration as the overall gearing is changed. Your cruising economy should be improved though, as the larger tire will be doing less revolutions per mile.

The final result will depend on how you drive it.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    The LT tires are built stiffer and heavier. LT245 can be purchased in load range C D and E. The heavier the load range the heavier the tire. I think the load range E tire would make your light weight Trooper ride like a cement truck. I recently was going to put on 245/75 Dueler Revos, ordered them, but load range E arrived, I said no thanks since they were each 48lb. I went with P255/70 (33lb. each) because I did not have time to wait to order 245/75 load range C (40 lb. each) again.
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    Hi Sean .... You're right about all vehicle having their issues. But relative to other makes, the Isuzu's issues are usually minor.

For example, the Toyota Landcruiser Prado in all models between 1996 and 2002 had a problem where the front ball joints would separate for no apparent reason and the front wheels would go off on there merry way all by themselves, while your front end gouges its way into the road surface.

Again with the Prado, there have been some cases of spider gears in the front diff failing, causing the axle shaft on the side of the failure to seize, leading to failure of the CV joint.

The Mitsubishi Pajero (or Montero for the US) is plagued in Australia by chronic electrical and electronic issues.

Generally, Land Rover products have a reputation for being a gamble as to whether they will get from A to B, at all. One brand new Range Rover recently burst in to flames on the Sydney Harbour Bridge it was quite a spectacular thing on the news to see an aluminium body that had simply disappeared into thin air. Not much left for the insurance company to salvage.

The biggest problems in my view with the current Trooper/Jackaroo is leaking manifold gaskets in early 3.5V6's and the alignment hassles. That's all. I also think the stock 245/70 tyres are a dumb choice. They should have at least fitted 265/70 size and set up the final drive ratios so as it performs the same as with the 245/70's. All relatively minor compared to the others.

BTW, my vehicle is in for it's 60000km service today. I asked the service coordinator about whether they are aware of the rubber boots on the steering column failing at around 160,000km (100,000km) and his response was that they never see it happen. I wonder if this is brought on by environmentals in the US, as Australia is generally warmer than the US all year.

Isuzu products in Australia, particularly the diesels, generally have a reputation for going over 700,000km without a major problem, given correct maintenance. That's over 400,000miles.
    Man, I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news.... I just checked the shop manual. It doesn't mention anything about taking off the manifold for the t-stat. I'll physically check when I head outside tonight but it seems like you got taken on that one :(

-mike
    Or maybe they were sneaking new intake manifold gaskets on it because that's a known problem and just wanted to bury it.
    Yes they could have done that but they shouldn't have charged him as much as they did for the T-stat... I dunno just seems like a lot of $$$ for a T-stat.

-mike
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Shippers have to deal with companies that go to a client's office and review shipping charges - then they contact the shipper and demand a refund for overcharges.

Different industry - different regulations, but I could see a business plan here for someone to review auto repair bills and dispute them. Since they'd get paid a % of any overcharge, there'd be a lot of disputed bills!

Steve, Host
    I will have to double check my bill for the cost for replacing it...and if they did overbill me, I am going to make a huge stink. They already burned me on the hub repack/30K service and brake job.

I might need my personal t-stat replaced after all of this.
    If you need to, let me know and I'll fax you the pages out of the manual that pertain to the T-stat replacement.

-mike
    I emailed you my fax number, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
  • akfischerakfischer Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 Trooper and ever since we had it (9000 miles, currently 30,000) their is a consistent tapping/clunking when driving at speeds above 50. It does not make the noise when not moving. Took it to Isuzu, they heard the noise, but couldn't locate it. I am concerned since we are getting near the 36,000 mile mark. Any ideas?
  • greenmaxgreenmax Member Posts: 47
    Does the noise increase when you apply the gas or just when holding it steady on the freeway? FYI, the B2B warranty on your Trooper is 3 years/50k, not 36k.
    Fax is on it's way Sean.

-mike
  • akfischerakfischer Member Posts: 5
    It does not increase with the engine speed. I put it in neutral as I am driving and raise the RPMs and that does not make a difference. The speed of the noise is a tap every .5 second, I have not been able to tell if it increases in speed with the speed of the car. I believe it may get louder with increased speed.