Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• wildbucwildbuc Member Posts: 88
    Hello, I have recently bought a Casita 17' camper which weighs about 2600 lbs when loaded. My 99 Trooper is rated to tow 5000 lbs but I am concerned about its "real world" towing capacity since I will be camping often in mountain areas (Appalachians). What do you guys think? Is my Trooper up to the job? Do I need a transmission cooler? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    Troopers are wonderful tow vehicles because of their study frame and suspension. The engine and transmission also are up to the task because Isuzu has included plenty of cooling capacity.
    Still, if towing a long long way then it would be a good precaution to fill the transmission and rear differential with a high temp rated synthetic fluid, that will both keep the temperature down and handle higher temperatures with less problems. I think auto trans problems from overheating are from the ATF burning, the sysnthetic will tolerate much higher temperatures before that happens. Just good insurance. Take all this witha grain of salt coming from a guy that tows with a stick shift, but my brother tows heavy with a very hot running automatic despite the added cooler in his Dodge truck. Isuzu's can accept the trans cooler, but it should not be needed.
  • serranoserrano Member Posts: 107
    A nice feature of the trooper is that the transmission will lock the torque converter in both 3rd and 4th gears. If the transmission begins to "hunt," you should move the shifter to the "3" position. That will keep the TC locked as much as possible, thus keeping the fluid as cool as possible. With the TC locked, the fluid coupling is inoperative and the fluid will not heat up nearly as much as it would if the TC were functioning normally.

Tom
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I have towed my smallish pop-up camper through the Rockies several times with no problems with my 99, though my camper doesn't weigh as much as yours ('bout a thousand pounds less, actually). Never had any overheating problems at all.

I did install a tranny cooler, because they are cheap insurance, and I couldn't find anything negative about them. The only negative I can think of is if a hose leaks all your fluid out, so if you do put one in, double clamp the connections.
  • 96_i30_5sp96_i30_5sp Member Posts: 127
    Thanks tremendously guys for your good advice--which I very much needed. I definitely will shift to 3rd on steep grades and will soon have a better grade of trans. fluid installed.

I am somewhat cautious, however, of choosing a proper trans. fluid since I have had 2 cars ruined by allowing mechanics to put in fluid of their own selection. One mechanic put in an incorrect fluid for the make of vehicle and another time the transmission was way over-filled. Both transmissions went out within 4k miles.

I hear that synthetics are better. Can anyone recommend a good fluid?
    Mobil 1. It meets all requirements for Dexron II, Dexron III, and Mercon. It is synthetic and will meet your requirements nicely. Redline is also a popular, if rather expensive, synthetic alternative.

Tom
  • pe1227pe1227 Member Posts: 15
    Hi, I am a newbie here. I have just purchased a 98 trooper at auction with 76k. Unfortunately, there are no maintanence records with this vehicle, so I don't know what has been done to it. Is there any critical service that I should do immediately? Also I was considering changing to synthetic oil, but I don't want the engine to start leaking, Has anyone done the switch with 76k miles on the engine? Thanks for your help.
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    One thing you might try, is going to a dealer and plug the V.I.N.# into the service computer system, they typically have alot of history in there (obviously, only if it was serviced at a dealer).

Assuming you have an owners manual, I would go to the maintenance schedule under severe conditions and do what you feel is necessary. I believe under "severe condition" the timing belt should be changed at 70k. Good Luck.
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    the t-belt at 60k for "extreme" and 75k for "normal". I just did mine at 76k and I tow fairly regularly. The tech said it did show signs of going. The teeth on the belt were a little marked up in the center.

I had the bearings repacked since they spend some time in water. I also did the 60k service at that point mainly for the fluids involved.

Jim
  • pe1227pe1227 Member Posts: 15
    Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't have an owners manual, so I will do the extreme services just in case.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    From my annual Nantucket vacation. Whew. Great trip. The Trooper did awesome. I removed the fishing rack for the highway trip and didn't see any temperature changes.

Offroad was a no brainer as usual. I mostly kept it in 4 low on the sand. I got a chance to notice the crawl ratio (which supposedly gets multiplied several times by the 4L30E in 4-low low). I put it in 4-low low gear and just walked right up a steep cobblestone hill without touching the gas. It also would just slowly drive along the sand and across tracks without any gas. Just another nice standard feature.

As far as mileage I got about 10+/14+. I did a lot of idling and had a box carrier, 2 bikes on the roof and a lot gear. I think the rack with wind fairing creates a lot of resistance and decreases mileage.

I have a couple of Trooper pictures which I will try to get out later this week. I am happy to have some confidence back in my rig and also had a chance to push it offroad again.
    to transport the outboard. I picture in my mind a bracket plugged into the hitch reciever that goes across and up behind the small door. Or maybe a carry basket and lay the outboard down in it.
    Has anyone equipped their Trooper with an outboard motor before?
  • jammingjamming Member Posts: 5
    Just how deep are the crossings you plan on making!!! ;)
    A hitch mounted bike rack may work, depending on how big a motor you need to move.
    I have a HitchHaul that I use frequently for campfire wood, coolers, etc. One tip I would offer tho is that it needs the weight distributed evenly. The box may say "500 lbs capacity," but if I would put all of my 250 lbs on one side, it would bend.
    They also make those front mounted cooler racks? Probably not ideal, but they seem to be able to support a decent amount of weight. How heavy is the outboard you are looking to carry?
    It will push the "porta-boat" that will ride on the roof rack. PortaBoat claims 20mph with a 200lb. captain at the tiller. http://www.suzukimarine.com/sr04/df64/
    http://www.portaboat.com
    Purpose: to get out on the water with kids to fishing spots without heat stroke from rowing or paddling all day in summer. Sold the 26 footer because the kids said they were on the water but not near the water due to the tall sides of the boat. Now they will be a one foot off the water instead of 4 feet.
    Whenever I get around to puting a roof rack on my new to me 2001 Trooper-S 5-Speed, I still have the parts "T100 brackets" and Thule crossbars from my totaled 1995. This time I want to mount it such that the cross bars can be easily removed so I can have long ones or short ones as needed and none up there for longer "higher MPG" highway rides.
    I would think something like a hitch mounted bike rack...how they have 2 prong-like things sticking out from the top of the rack. However I don't think a bike rack would be strong enough. Paisan knows someone who has done some custom steel work, perhaps you could get someone to weld together something similar to a hitch bike rack for you?
  • jammingjamming Member Posts: 5
    I have a good idea for your rack dilemma. Contact me off board via email to discuss.
    I'm also interested in your ideas on roof rack. I have the T100 brackets and switch between a safari basket and Yakima bars. My issue is it is AMAZING how many parking garages I can not get into anymore with just that extra 3-4" of height...plus the mileage thing.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Hey guys, I haven't left the fold, just been busy towing and racing with the subies along with the car-mod biz we launched recently.

Trooper has been doing well, since my SVX was down for about 6 weeks due to me not having enough time to diagnose the simple problem.

I'm up to 61K miles on it 11K since early May! She's running like a top though can't complain, even when towing 5000lb car-trailers :) I've logged about 2K+miles of trailer towing and the trooper has been doing well even with the larger tires on it.

I'll be around a bit more now.

-mike
    http://Isuzu-suvs.com
    I called my local Isuzu service manager today about doing a trans. fluid change with Mobil One. He exclaimed that he had never heard of Mobil One transmission fluid and would have to call around to see if he could find some. Later, he phoned and said he found only 4 quarts at a local Autozone store for $8.50 per quart. I then went to this store myself to check on things. I found plenty of Mobil One trans. fluid there at about $4. a quart. The store manager said this happens all the time and that some dealers want to charge double for their oil.
    I'm thinking of going to Redline across the board for ATF, TOD, Diffys.

-mike
    I once had my wife's minivan oil changed at the Cadillac/Olds dealer and let them do the Mobil1 special oil change they were advertising.
    When I came to pick it up, the itemized price was $10/qt for Mobil1 oil! I told my repair manager that $10/qt was unfair and they refunded $6/qt and gave me a coupon for a free dino oil change.
    That repair manager knows that van well, as it was in for repair 26 times in 45000 miles before we sold it. It was always in for repair anyway so we let the dealer to all the maintenance.
  • 21fishhead21fishhead Member Posts: 2
    i have just purchased a 01 trooper LS.does anyone know if the compass/outdoor temp module available on the limited edition can be fitted to the LS? iam hoping the wiring/sensor harness would be the same on all models and it would involve just mounting and plugging in.
    1st the Module is $500+
    2nd the wiring is there, but no sensors IIRC, sensors are another $100-$250

So yeah if you wanna drop ~$700 go ahead! :)

-mike
  • rfredarfreda Member Posts: 15
    the main overhead light that goes on when you enter/exit the vehicle suddenly stopped working. hoping it's just the bulb - before I attempt to take the cover off and break something more expensive than the bulb, has anyone ever changed this bulb out? is the assembly easy to remove?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • bstone3bstone3 Member Posts: 97
    21fishhead

Sure you can put in the module in your LS. I put it in my 01 LS for $600 (Isuzu price). However, I have the moon roof and something in my memory tells me that the wiring harness is there if you have the moon roof - may be wrong about that - also the temperature sensing unit was also pre-installed by the factory - and it is a pain - it sit up high underneath a metal lip forward of the radiator on the drivers side - you can actally see where it is if you look. This location is terrible because it builds up heat when you stop and the temperature quickly goes to triple digits - I removed the front grill - easy to do and relocated the sensor down low - where every other manufacturer puts it and it work much better - spliced in some extra wire so it would reach - the unit is easy to read at night but difficult during the day - reflection and angle. Barometer/altimeter is cool - now you can get the aftermarket mirror that has the built in compass and temp sensor and auto dimming feature installed for about half that cost - Isuzu was gong to do it for $200 - but no altimeter - good luck.
  • bstone3bstone3 Member Posts: 97
    Bought a used 02 Nissan King Cab 4X4 pickup with the supercharged V6 - part of the deal was to put on new tires - 265-70-16's - but the 01 Trooper was beginning to need new rubber after 40K miles so when the tires came in I had them put em on the Trooper. Dunlop A20's or something like that. That bigger rubber sure looks good(adds some beef to the Trooper appearance) and the ride is much improved and quiet. The front tires on the Nissan are fine and the spare is new - so I only had to buy one new tire to equip the truck - that supercharger in that engine is amazing - thing scoots! - but it also like premium gas - oh well!
    I wonder if it is pre-installed in the S model? I might like to add the same. I am going to have to check for the sensor to see if it is there.
  • 21fishhead21fishhead Member Posts: 2
    $700 buck? way too much. if it was 200-300 i would consider it. i think i'll just tell my wife to program the news/weather station into the radio.thanks for the help everyone.
    Maybe you can get your price with this guy, shoot them an E-mail, ya never know.
    http://allhyundaiisuzuparts.com/new_arrivals/000513.html
    I found this in the latest 4wheeler magazine.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/02september/electr- - ac.asp

or

http://www.tractech.com/docs/DetroitElectrac.pdf

I am not sure if there is a trooper fit yet, however if I were to add something this might be it!
    I only ended up with 3 good ones...oh well, no good action ones.

http://community.webshots.com/album/85580057SlrCxl
    Hi folks, I just back from a mountain camping trip towing my 2800 lbs. camper along the Blue Ridge Parkway. I had no difficulty whatsoever but I did stay primarily in 3rd gear. On steep upgrades I shifted to 2nd and kept the rpms at about 3500. I learned to shift early when encountering a strain on the engine. Back on highways 40/85 going to eastern N.C., I kept the trans. in 4th nearly all the time except for occasionally shifting to 3rd on long steep upgrades. Along the parkway I usually drove 40 mph and on the interstates about 60. When you tow 2800 lbs. through the mountains you do know the trailer is there---but you should encounter no real problems. I ran 50 lbs. of pressure in my trailer tires and 34/38 in my Trooper. (Shift early!)
    Nice! I'll be towing the 5000lb car-trailer down to WV this coming weekend for 2 days at Summit Point Raceway. Should be easy since it's mostly interstates :)

-mike
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    it's like you're in 3rd all the time! :) Seriously, I do that when towing my boat. I try to keep it over 65-70 all the time because it keeps me in the sweet spot of the rev range, and then when I see a hill, I try to get up to 75+ for the climb. By the way, when towing that same boat through the mountains of Colorado, there is no "getting a run at it", it's 30 mph for 10 miles at a time. Have fun and good luck, Paisan.

Jim
    If you are towing on interstates, where the speed is higher, it is important that you allow enough space to brake when a car cuts in front of you and then slows down. Going a little slower than other traffic and having electric brakes should help. With a 5000 lb trailer, I assume you have electric brakes. Have a nice trip Paison.
    otherwise you might make it home by the weekend. I actually saw an aerial shot of a Silver Trooper w/sunroof in front of the Port Authority Bus depot, Mike?

Man you guys (New Yorkers) are being tested.
    Actually I'm working nights this week. 11pm-8am on wallstreet. Trooper is at home resting up for the trip. I actually had a nice ride in through NJ tonight. Hopefully my replacement will make it in in time for me to head home and load up the Trooper. I generally tow at about 75mph and recently got the electric brakes hooked up. I have been testing the settings on it. I think I've actually had em too high. Believe it or not I drove around for about 2K miles w/o brakes on the trailer, the trooper brakes were just about adequet in emergency situations. With the electric brakes it's great.

-mike
  • zuuluverzuuluver Member Posts: 2
    Just got done tearing 85 troop 1.9 engine down. Engine has been bored .50 over and has real bad ridge . rings are special order only and have been told that the 2.3(whole engine) will not work, can anyone tell me why it wont?
  • chaser1chaser1 Member Posts: 20
    Just bought an '02 with just over 3K miles. Happy with deal and vehicle.

Now...are there any "must do's" or "must get's" I need to be looking for? (Will do mild off-roading at best, and know what I'll need for that.) Am curious what to do about improving performance, and/or mileage. Mileage is a special concern as I have a lead foot.

Your collective advice is greatly appreciated!
    I would consider adding some shocks more suited for offroading...OME or Rancho seem to be the most popular.

With a lead foot, don't expect better than 15 MPG around town. I get 10-13 in around town driving, my commute is under 5 miles which may lead to worse mileage, however mileage is poor in general. Though you will find the Trooper is quite responsive and fun to lead foot around as it feels very quick off the line.
    Towed the car trailer down to WV and back this weekend. ~9-10mpg at 70-80mph with AC cranking. Moderate hills in PA, sometimes dropped to 55-60 then up to 80. Not too bad considering that the trailer weighs about 4500-5000lbs.

-mike
    Here is who I would ask:
    http://www.creechimports.com/contact.html
    I wonder if the 2.3 can bolt up to the 1.9's transmission.
    If changing the engine and transmission both, consider the newest 4cyl Isuzu engine, was that a 2.6L in 1991?
    Consider if changing the engine and transmission to go to the 2.8L 6cyl transmission or similar bolt pattern and get the 3.4L 6cyl instead of the 2.8L. People on this discussion and / or ITOG have talked about the 3.4L GM engine as a good one to bolt up in place of the 2.8L. GM engines and parts should cost a lot less than genuine Isizu because there are so many of them around in rebuilt form.
  • 1993trooper1993trooper Member Posts: 7
    Bottom line up front: I am cheap!

With that said, does anyone have or know where I can get a shop manual for my 93 Trooper for less than $30? I say less than $30 because that is how much I let this manual go for TWICE on Ebay - dumb me, I guess.

Anybody got any suggestions?
    Try eBay.

{:)
  • trooper_dudetrooper_dude Member Posts: 10
    R/T shocks by Tokico:

http://www.tokicogasshocks.com

Installed them on my 2002 Trooper S 4x4 about 2 months ago and have been giving them a work out here in the Colorado Mountains. I'm amazed how well they work off-road & on-road. Lots of control, no more wallowing and body lean is reduced. Makes my Trooper a joy to drive. They also work great on my 1990 2wd. Mazda PU. Shop around on the web, they are priced a lot lower then OME and Rancho.
    I got a letter from the dealer that did my 30k & 60k maintenance in the Pacific N.W.

"This dealership has been selected as a sight to conduct a special market test price and financing event, we are in desperate need to acquire several pre-owned Troopers before 8-24 in order to fulfill special used vehicle requests. Our records show you have one of the vehicles in need". Then it goes on to say bring the letter in, so we can make an offer to buy it back from you.

If nothing else, you gotta give the sales guys credit for being creative in their marketing.
    Ask them about it on the phone, if they give out information then they might want to buy used Troopers, if not, then they definately only want to get you to visit.
  • chaser1chaser1 Member Posts: 20
    sbcooke/trooper_dude - thanks for the tips! Know from previous experience how effective and the inherent quality built into OME systems - but PRICEY! Will definitely check out Trekmaster. Any throttle body spacers or the like available to improve performance - other than just getting a K&N?
    Also, does anyone make a class III hitch for the FRONT of the Trooper? Did this with all my Jeeps -very effective, and allows one to winch from either end with a multi-mount.

Again - any advice/suggestions are genuinely appreciated!
    Has come down in price recently. $60/each for springs and ~$65/shock.

Haven't seen a front mounted hitch yet, but check out matt @ indy 4x.com link on my web page http://Isuzu-suvs.com

-mike