Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'm not sure if he started on them, either way, they'll be weldable even if you get the bolt on ones. I consider nerf bars to be anything that would protect the rocker panels/body. Anything you stand on, is a side step, or tube step IMHO.

-mike
  • conman2000conman2000 Member Posts: 158
    Hi,
    Thanks for the info. I think the person selling the wheels here are the 5 spoke rims and I have the wire wheel like Paisan's. I just checked 800 wheels and they have the LS rims now(I did not see it there before) for $169+ and I noticed they had the 18" VX rims for $229 not chromed which is nice. These 800 rims are "take-offs" or are they copies of the original or OEM?

Thanks,
    Con
  • guillguill Member Posts: 94
    Are reconditioned (new paint) OEM rims.
  • pat_pendingpat_pending Member Posts: 36
    I need to quickly get rid of my payment, and therefore my 99 Trooper.

It is a 99, just about perfect with the exception of some road dings, about 32k miles, auto TOD, Performance and Luxury packages (now called Limited) so it has leather, 6Cd changer, moonroof, just about everything except for running boards and bug guard. Stock with the exception of Rancho 9000 shocks, Polk speakers, and 100w fog bulbs. Two-tone deep red and silver.

I don't see many Limiteds around, but then I haven't been looking that hard until now. Does anyone know what I might expect to get in a private sale? (Anyone interested?) Northern Virginia location. Thanks.

Ken
  • pinoy99pinoy99 Member Posts: 79
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Troubled Japanese automaker Isuzu Motors Ltd. will enact a major management shake up in June, replacing its chief executive and naming an officer from U.S. partner General Motors Corp. as vice president, a report said Friday."

link

pat_pending, one place to try is Edmunds Used PowerShopper

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Conman just bought/is buying an LS... He may have been interested...

-mike
    They look good, although I don't think people other than be would like climbing over them to get in the truck :)

-mike
  • flinflin Member Posts: 29
    Just got my new Trooper back from its first visit to the shop for the following:
    1. sucking sound from a/c
    2.front logo oxidizing
    3. rattle in passenger door near window/lock buttons
    4.outside temp gauge reading incorrectly

here were their solutions:
    1. found leaking condenser switch, replaced -- no more sucking sound
    2. replaced front emblem
    3. said they secured something called a lock link arm, but it is still rattling pretty bad from this same area
    4. told me that it is "normal" for the gauge to pick up the engine temperature when the vehicle slows or is at-rest

any suggestions on #3 and 4? Have to take it back Monday to get the rattle fixed...
    #3 is the only one you can fix.

#4 is just the way it is. Poorly placed thermometer probe (in front of the radiator) I'd just re-locate it myself cause you will get nowhere with isuzu on that issue,cause it is in the correct place.

-mike
    Come to the Isuzu Owner's Chat tonight, if you are an owner, or interested in buying one! 10pm-11pm this evening.

-mike
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    Sorry about your selling of the trooper. You still have warranty left and that's a plus over other manufacturers which would run out at 36,000 miles--make that point when you get lookers. Do a used vehicle window sticker from Edmunds and see what it says.
    I called the Isuzu owner service 800 number, and they told me that they would advise having the sensor repositioned. Said they were going to call to the dealership and tell them what to do when I bring it back in on Monday. It would be nice to have them do it- I don't want to wreck anything attempting it myself. Besides, where exactly is the thing positioned and what does it look like?
    That's cool, I'm suprised Isuzu is willing to do that. I know a few Ltd. owners who would be happy to know they'll re-position it. Keep us posted as to the results.

I believe it's a sensor/probe that sits on the drivers side of the grille, in front of the radiator.

-mike
    Sorry, one day to late. I was in the market for a 99 Lux.(through Imotors.com until they went under) They quoted me $19,400 for it. I did see a dealer in MD that listed their 99 Lux for $18,900. There also was a private owner in MA that listed their at $18,900 with big stereo and $15k without. To compare, two dealers in the Northeast were listing 98 Lux for $16,900 so I assume you can get atleast $16,900 to $20,000 for it. I think Carmax.com will buy your car even if you don't buy a car from them. Good Luck

Regards,
    Con
    Picked up my 2001 Isuzu Trooper Light Silver 4x4 LS w/Moonroof! Wow what a huge hole in the roof! And the heated cloth seats, very cool! BTW, I have the Grey interior and I think I like it better than the Beige. I am so glad I got the LS over the S. BTW, I paid $29,770 + tax and tag. I still think the S is the best value as the same dealer quoted me $26,600 for the S auto/4x4. These prices are with the 0% fin. so take away $2k if you wanted the cash rebate. Carsdirect did list the LS w/Moon for 29,400(Edmunds TMV is $28.8k) but I had a trade-in and the local dealer gave me more on my trade than another dealer which wanted $29,900+ It pays to shop around(I am lucky I have over 12+ dealers in the NJ,NY,CT,PA area but the closest dealer was the best price.

BTW, I use to think the TMV was Gold, but since I got over $1,500 higher on my tradein and paid about $1,000 higher than TMV on the Trooper, the TMV numbers which makes me belive they are not as accurate as they seem(Northeast only?). To compare, my neighbor just bought an LS w/moon too and he paid $500 more than I did without a trade!

First mods: Tow Hitch, spare tire mounted bike rack.

Future mods(AKA when I have money), nerf/running boards/side steps, roof rack(using the factory holes), something for the front(I don't think I will get the ECB cause mine will look to much like Paisans) and maybe the Wet Okole seat covers for my Dog.

Cheers,
    Con
  • ghinsonghinson Member Posts: 36
    I started looking at the S trim level last night and was attracted by Edmund's TMV of $23K+ on the base with manual and 4wd. That seemed like a steal for a Trooper, and the S has all the important stuff. Then I noticed they have the 0% financing. I am waiting for dealers to open to call around and check everyone's inventory. But to read your last post, it doesn't sound like I'll get close to that price. Is that so? Anyone else recently buy an S?
    You can get the rebate or the 0% financing but not both. I'd seriously think about getting the automatic tranny, because it gives you the TOD 4wd system. You should be able to get an S with the financing for around $25K, maybe $24K if you get lucky. If you take the rebate, $23K is doable. I'll bet it's gonna be hard to find a 4wd 5-speed. Happy hunting.

-mike

http://isuzu-suvs.com

• kobokokoboko Member Posts: 34
    I just bought an automatic 2001 S 4X4 (with stock Isuzu 6 disc changer) last March for $25,210 plus tax/title with 0% IMAC financing. If you shop around you should be able to get the 4X4 S with auto tranny & TOD for under 25K @ 0% (without CD changer). Try looking at dealerships with a large inventory, they usually are able to cut you a better deal. You should definitely not pay anything over 24K (with 0%) for the manual, problem is that most dealerships don't carry manuals and you might have to end up special ordering one. I personally prefer the manual over auto/TOD, you have more precise control in off road conditions- I'm originally from West Africa & believe me real off roading + auto transmission do not go together! But with the wife and little kid I decided to go the easy way-- don't get me wrong though (& before I offend TOD enthusiasts :)-- TOD is awesome for wet & wintery conditions you find in the US & thats why I went for it!! Anyway, I could give you the name of the dealership I bought it from, that is if you live near the Chicago area. If you are getting the manual for under 24K @ 0%, I'd definitely go for it! Good luck!
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Where in MA? What year and model and acc. again, please?

I am INTERESTED!!!

Where did you finally end up getting yours?
  • chzbrgchzbrg Member Posts: 10
    If anyone knows of a good mechanic that is honest and does good work in the Greenville SC area please post or email me!
    Dont like dealers to much!
    Thanks
    well, I already knew that I was going back to the dealership to get the rattle and the sensor taken care of. Now 2 more things-

when I bought the vehicle, I noticed a little line on the piece between the hood and the windshield. They told me it was wax buildup on the residue from the plastic hood protection sheet. Found out after trying to rub it that it's a defect in the paint - a long thing indentation. hope this doesn't need the bodyshop.

they told me that they replaced a defective AC condenser switch that was causing a sucking/sipping noise eminating from the glovebox area and causing coolant to leak. Yesterday the noise was totally gone, but today it is back. Anyone experience this? This was something the salesman told me was normal, until I found out in the loaner that there should be no noises like that from the AC.

I am disappointed that this is already such a hassle.
    Listing Source: Boston Globe
    Date Posted: 5/12/01
    ISUZU, Trooper Limited, 1999, white, all options, 15K audio/video sys. $18,995. 413-267-5545.

Just checked still there and it has been there for over a month. The wording was changed. as above. Maybe the $15k was a typo. but still a good deal at $19k.

I ended up getting my Trooper at Robertschevyisuzu.com a local dealer on LongIsland, NY. I noticed other people getting much better deals than I got which would make TMV correct. There is not many Troopers in the Northeast section(very few LS w/moon which caused me to pay more than other parts of the country) There are no Isuzu only dealers around me so they can spread out there selling across many nameplates which makes them stock other SUVs than Troopers here in NY area).

Later,
    Con
    flin, while we pay $27k for a vehicle and expect it to be body perfect, unfortunately most are not. I bought a Windstar '98 van new, and it has a noticable imperfection in the metal of the hood. I did not get that factory defect fixed, but with a couple hundred miles on it, when they had to pull the tranny and ended up buggering the paint on the front bumper/grill area all to hell-I did make them repaint that. I have never been happy with that van since not because of the defect in the paint but because it had a screwed up tranny from day 1. I guess its all in the perspective of the buyer. I've come to realize more and more that new cars aren't that new. You see the new cars sitting on the lots under trees dropping sap all over them--how can that be new paint? Anyways, that's my 2 cents. I would not worry with the paint defect. I would get the AC fixed.
    Don't worry too much about the deal you got--it seems good to me--0% is a great deal. It sounds like you have a nice trooper. Welcome to the group.
    I was able to find a S with 5spd manual but no changer for $24,300 with the 0%. Its gray (I wanted the green). Might get the dealer to add a changer.

I was interested to read what koboko wrote about the manual vs the auto. I was starting to consider the TOD, juat because that does sound like a good road system. Does the manual do HI and LO 4wd? I think I'm going to lean towards the manual. Anyone else with comments?
    The one thing I'm not crazy about is the lux look of the trooper. I like the Euro boxiness of it, but then it has a cadillac shine. When I look at it, it needs a roof rack with halo lights and maybe a brush guard. Anyone know of a good source for aftermarket equip.?
    The TOD is a great system and you loose its benefits with the manual. You need slip conditions to engage the 4WD on a manual. Also, in snow and slippery rain surfaces at higher speeds TOD is a much better system. 4WD 50:50 was never really designed for high speeds under slick conditions IMO. Yes there are a few times where I might want 4WD 50:50 split Hi, but there are many more times when I utilize TOD. In offroad conditions that are real challenging in terms of holes, boulders, steep hills, one will use 4WD Lo. You can manually keep it in 1st 4WD lo by simply engaging the shifter in 1. Also, with the auto you don't need to worry about replacing clutches.
    Doesn't seem that way to me. It looks like a basic utility vehicle and that's how I use it.
    I'd guess that is the mileage from what you sent.
    The only thing is the bumpers are not practical but that was a marketing item that keeps down the cost and gives it the modern day look.
    Well I have a long list of vendors and what not at

http://isuzu-suvs.com

I import for ECB nudge bars (and in fact are waiting for a 3rd person on a group buy) to bring 3 more in. Check out my truck on there for some aftermarket stuff.

The nice thing about TOD is that when you want a 50/50 lock you just put it into 4wd LO and it locks the T-case at 50/50. I also found off-roading so far that the TOD was actually better than the 4wd lo, less wheel slippage.

-mike

Boxy is one of the Troopers traits. It's about 10x boxier than any other SUV on the market. In fact the design, other than cosmetics (from the A-pillar forward), engine(3.2->3.5), and T-case (p/t 4wd ->TOD), and some interior dash changes is the same as it was in 1992, that's nearly 10 years on the same exact underpinning and body panels! :)

-mike
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    The regional want ad has 3 1994 troopers for $4,500 - $5,500. All with 100k-125k miles. I know that Troopers hold up well. Anything to look for besides rust? Seems like a good deal to me.

Any web sites would you recommend I check out to learn more?
    $5000 for a 100-125k '94 trooper is not something I would spend. At that many miles you will need to be doing quite a few repairs each year--I mean troopers hold-up well, but if you do not know how these were maintained your money could be going down a sink hole. Definitely before you spend have a mechanic look it over. The timing belt should have been changed at 100 k miles. Check the oil--is it clean before and after driving it. Have the mechanic check the transmission oil--and show you the color. Is it bright red. Does the air conditioning still work etc. I might spend $3500 depending on the shape of a '94 trooper.
    I will be in a situation where I will mostly use the Trooper in town, rarely at highway speeds, with occasional snow but still at low speeds anyway. Then I will use it to go out on the beach. Especially for surf fishing. That's where the 4x4 is most important to me. So, keeping in mind the improved performance (accel and gas mileage) of a manual, do any of you with the TOD think I should spend the extra $1500 for it?

Nice web site paisan. I like the ECB nudge bars a lot. If I get one, might talk to you about a group buy. Know the current price for a chrome one with a wench attachment?

Thanks.
    I am not worried by how much I paid as this was the best deal I could get in the northeast(without traveling too far) and the best deal I could get on my trade.

As for the MA Lux. Trooper, it was changed to what I posted above. Before, it read that it was 18,900 with the system and $15,000 without the system. Maybe it was a typo and they fixed it now. Still, $19k seem to be inline with TMV plus if you consider how much the audio system might be ($2,000+) it is a really good deal. And if it only has 15k miles on it, it has been babied! If it was only a dealer, I would have tried to get that one.

Cheers,
    Con
    Looking to get side steps. I was thinking of the bars Crunchy is getting but I am not after the "MOAB" look so I am looking at round bars or running boards. I would like some that mount to the frame unlike the factory ones which mount to the body. Does anyone have the WAAG or other brands on their Trooper that mount to the frame(I do want to do some light wheeling so I want to avoid the body mounted ones).

As for TOD, I am going to do beach fishing too and my State(NY) requires 4x4 and will not allow 4x2 on the beach. Just an FYI.

Thanks,
    Con
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I surf fish too. TOD works fine in regular sand. I found it to sort of "slip" in really deep stuff? When you come over a dune and hit deep stuff, you don't have time to switch to 4 lo. The system "thumped" as I chugged through it? Maybe the computer sensors were just switching the torque back and forth over and over again, due to all 4 wheels slipping? For most spots it was great, and I never felt like I would get stuck. With "4 Hi" in the manual, this probably wouldn't happen.

TOD actually was better than 4 lo over most of the beach. 4 lo would dig in, never so much to get stuck, but dig in first before you go and limit steerng. TOD was convenient, because in most spots you were in essentially 2wd, so the front end pushes up above the sand, and turning was better because you would turn first, and then the 4wd would kick in. In 4 Lo the fronts would dig in when turned, and you would move more laterally.

TOD is great, don't get me wrong, in 1-24" of snow, deep mud, damp roads, dirt roads, and dry roads. With "4 Hi" you won't have the luxury of added traction when it is wet, or just light snow.

I think you will be happy either way, TOD is a great "on-road" AWD system, that is rugged enough to go anywhere.
    Thaks scooke. Glad to hear from someone with sand experience and the Trooper. So there is TOD and 4LO, but no option for 4HI? Why not put all three as an option?
    I think it would be a great thing but I guess they think the TOD is better than just 4hi which is good thinking. BTW, my neighbor has taken his Trooper on the beach and he said 4lo was better too.

Cheers,
    Con
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    gpm5,

Thanks for the tip. No way am I buying a used Trooper without my mechanic in tow....

On the other side of the scale I found a 2000 LS with 14k miles for $18k. Hmmmmm.....
    That's a good price on a 2000 LS with 14k miles. I would jump on that if it looks clean.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    $18K is a good price. I would wonder why they sold it? It may drive too much like a truck? Maybe they got scared by the recall? Maybe they had a bad dealer experience? It is certainly worth it...I would just do your best to track the vehicle first, have you tried carfax? Used cars can (are not always) be trouble.

New Troopers are only a few thousand more, and with the low financiang, it may the same as an $18K vehicle from a used car dealer at 9%?

Good luck.
    I've got a local dealer going $24,800 on a 01 S auto 4wd with 0% fin. for 60 mos. He's going to see if he can find me a green one Mon. Hopefully he want snub my trade-in too much.
    That is a nice deal. Your payment would be about the same as someone buying a '00 trooper with miles on it at ~7.5% interest.
  • chzbrgchzbrg Member Posts: 10
    Noticed in manual of Trooper that at 15 K it wants you to change the axle oil, transmission and 4wd oil plus other tid bits such as lube etc. what should i expect to pay for this service at the dealer, since dont know of any reputable mechanics???
    Thanks
    Suggested i jump right toe the 30K service.

-mike
    I'm interested in that "wench attachment". Got any pictures? Oh, and a winch wouldn't be bad, either...

;-)

I am not so sure my wife will go for it, however!

;-) ;-) ;-(
    Well there is no wench or winch attachments for the nudge bar. The Big Bumper Bar does have a winch attachment, and I suppose you could mount a wench on either the Nudge Bar or the Big Bumper Bar. You can check out prices from the last group buy at http://isuzu-suvs.com/nudge.html or http://isuzu-suvs.com (there's a link on the main page)

-mike