Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    I'm pretty sure I've replaced my rear blade without removing the spare tire... Maybe I shut it off in the perpendicular position? I don't remember, but I'm all but sure that I did it.
  • silverghostsilverghost Member Posts: 154
    Yep! Works like that on my '01. You have to hold your mouth just right, but it WILL come off that way.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    mouth?
    As in "grimace" - a sharp contortion of the face, expressive of pain, contempt, or disgust.

Also helps when removing that #6 spark plug!
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    all righty then...

Maybe my mind is in the gutter, but I was really trying to avoid picturing you removing wiper blades with your mouth...
    Not likely. Then again, that's just me.
  • makayemakaye Member Posts: 81
    No one has mentioned it yet, but there is an easy way to remove the wiper blade. If we name the parts: refill - rubber part; wiper blade - metal frame; and wiper arm - attaches to the wiper motor with a bolt.
    Look at the wiper blade where it attaches to the arm. There is a pivoting rivet. feel on the underside of the wiper blade (again the metal part), it is actually a U channel. About 1" from the pivot/rivet you will feel a springy plastic lever/tab. Push the lever/tab slightly and move the entire wiper blade/refill toward the center - down the arm. The entire unit will slide off. To install, simply push it back into the wiper arm bracket until it "clicks." This works for the front ones too. May be easier to see if you look at the front blades first.

Mark.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The spare tire. I've had to remove my tire the 2 times I replaced the rear wiper.

-mike
    Has to clear. There is no space issue. You don't even need to move the wiper back from the rear window, just push the tab slide the wiper blade from left (driver side) to right (passenger side) in a straight line flush against the glass. One only needs to push the wiper assembly to the right 1 inch. I'm talking about the wiper blade not the spring loaded arm.

If your wiper wipes, it has to clear. I know you have larger tires and likely larger spare, but surely you have room to push JUST the wiper itself 1 inch to the right. At most, you need to move the wiper AWAY from the glass maybe 1". Again, has nothing to do with the spring loaded arm, just the rubber blade and what that attaches to. Works fine with the stock spare at least.
    But I've tried it and unsuccessfully been able to get it off with my stock tire on. I never buy the blades themselves, always buy the whole unit.

Not a big deal though, I just take off my spare tire.

-mike
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    thanks boxtrooper, silver ghost, and paisan....

I thought I read somewhere that CR faked the tests aand were haul ed into court....but the damage was done...

have fun with your SUVs ... :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Isuzu verdict (CR)

No Money For Isuzu, But Vindication (Car Connection)

In the Latest Crash Tests, Rollover Ratings, 7 SUVs tipped up on two wheels. (NHTSA)

Steve, Host
    I'm remembering this now... I just pressed the little release lever and it slid right off just as Mackaye describes.

I do think I stopped it in the horizontal position just to make it easier. I did not remove the spare tire. I did replace the entire arm. I used the typical NAPA replacement blades.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Who does your nails?
  • seanreidseanreid Member Posts: 152
    Steve,

Thanks for those links. For anyone who hasn't seen those sites before, its a great source of info. to help clear up this question of rollover danger. If memory serves, CU recently warned (mildly) that the Toyota Tacoma they tested had a tendency to lift one wheel in a turn. I like Tacos but they've always seemed narrow and tall to me and I suspect an agressive driver could roll one even more easily than a Trooper. Yet, CU has not made the Tacoma test result into a major story as it did with the Trooper, they just (if I recall correctly) dropped their "recommended" rating. Before my first Trooper I looked hard at 4-Runners and for various reasons I would have needed some seat hardware if I bought one. What struck me when searching salvage yards on the net to check pricing (for the parts I needed) was that there were a lot of 4Runners around which had been totalled in rollovers. Needless to say, there have also been a lot of 4Runners sold, etc. but both the Taco and 4Runner seem as vulnerable to rollover as the Trooper. So I side with those who feel that Isuzu was unfairly singled out when in fact the potential for rollover exists to some extent in all SUVs and pickups.

Rear Wiper: Replacement intervals are so long that one might as well pull the cover and spare to inspect the latter and to reset tire pressure.

Cheers,

Sean
    Jeez, obviously a combination of my teeth and a wet sander...what else? ;-)
  • dnestrdnestr Member Posts: 188
    Hey, boxtrooper I've gauged that my Trooper gets 27 mpg at 65 to 70 mph. I had been driving at 5th gear with a passenger and just a little of luggage. I filled a half of the tank in the end. So the mpg might be very precisely. Cheers.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    dnestr, Thank you for the test. 27 mpg is 33% better than my 20 mpg which is very good for a 3.5L gas engine (once in a while I get 21 mpg, maybe requires driving with the wind or somehting).
    Loaded: for me 65 mph with 4 people and a lot of stuff aboard and 2 bikes hanging on the back gives 18.5 mpg. I have not had a chance to test this Trooper while towing anything.
    27 mpg?? Is that an american emission-controlled 3.5L?? If so, that's unheard of! I get 19-20 at 70-75 mph with the A/C running (2WD) and think I'm topping the charts!!
    Three very popular vehicles (Ford Explorer, Yukon/Tahoe and Tacoma) all tipped up on two wheels in the NHTSA tests. Imagine if CU were to go after all three of those manufacturers...?

Sean
    Oops, just re-read your post. A one-time refill with the gauge reading 1/2 empty is a pretty inaccurate way to calculate fuel mileage. That's just the nature of mechanical tank floats and resistance-driven gauges.
    As I'm sure you know, that's unlikely. Deep pocket vs. deeper pocket!
  • go-to-akgo-to-ak Member Posts: 11
    Hi there everyone- My 99 Trooper is doing something odd. When you start up in the morning and drive it a few miles everything is normal. If I get back in it after going inside a store, etc. The shift interlock (solenoid I guess) becomes "noisy". Each time you depress the brake pedal coming to a stop you can hear a fairly audible electronic click coming from the transmission/shifter area. The weird thing is that if I sit a stoplight and then shift from Drive to Park and then back to Drive again, the clicking sound will go away again until the next time I drive it. I don't think this appears to be a safety issue, more annoying than anything else. I have about five weeks left on powertrain warranty- would like to get it fixed under warranty if covered. Anyone have any experience with this strange situation? Thanks !
  • dmigeldmigel Member Posts: 15
    My 02 Trooper S started to experience drastic lack of power in acceleration at about 7k miles. When you pushed the pedal, it would lag half way down and be non responsive. I've put off after I found that if I pushed the POWER MODE, it seemed to get a little better. Check engine light never came on, but I took it to auto zone anyway to check for codes and there were none. So, after another 7k, I finally gave in and took to the dealer and I thought for sure they would say they couldn't find anything. They said it was a faulty gas pedal sensor, covered by warranty. Anybody had this problem before?
    Mike, or anyone else, I need a bit of help. In anticipation of installing an oem overhead accessory meter in my '01 LS, I began trying to relocate the temp sensor to a position that gets better airflow. But I can't unclip the sensor from its mounting on the top edge of the trans cooler. As those of you who have done this already know, it's in a spot that's difficult to see, and even more difficult to access.

I've searched through all the old posts but can't find any hints. There appears to be a push-thru plug with ears that spring out once it's inside the hole, but I can't reach it to squeeze the ears together. How do I get this thing off without mangling something??
    Oops! I think that's the A/C condenser, not the trans cooler.
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    I had a faulty accelerator switch / sensor - code P1274 on the scan cause the CE light to come on my '00 at about 26k. No driveability issues were detected, however.
  • bemathew1bemathew1 Member Posts: 18
    I am new to this SUV area...my world was limited to my modified GSR. Anyway, I am in the market for an SUV.

Recently I found this on ebay.
    2000 Trooper with 65720 miles on it. Its been sold by a reputed Volvo dealer who claims to have got the Trooper as a trade-in for a Volvo.
    Interior looks absolutely clean, Exterior is perfect. 4X4 with Automatic, 4WD, CD Changer with Tape, Running Boards, Alloys, Privacy Glass,
     Power Seat, ABS, Airbags etc...Asking price earlier was 12,990 now reduced to $10,990.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1- &item=2482374586&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I am planning to put a third row seat if I buy this one.

Questions:
    When I test drive, is there any specific area I should focus on...known problem area, etc?
    Is there any major scheduled maintenance to be done around 60 K ? like timing belt, water pump etc
    Anyone put in a third row seat in thr trooper from places like this? http://www.littleseats.com/ ? How is the third row comfort?

Appreciate your help. Thanks
    Oops! I think that's the A/C condenser, not the trans cooler.
    The following is just my 2 cents worth, and some members may take exception to some of this. That said, I'd be cautious of this Trooper, rather, the dealer, due to the number of errors in the description.

1. This is an S model, not an authentic LS. Check with "Paisan." He has a REAL '00 LS, and mine is an '01. The LS had (among other things) a single color paint scheme, mesh allow wheels, LS badging on the C-pillars, fog lights, body colored mirrors, body side protection strips, chrome door window reveal moldings, front seat arm rests, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter handle, and 6-disc CD changer (the photos clearly show an empty storage bin where the factory changer is supposed to be mounted).

2. The tire and wheel size specs are obviously wrong, and there are no running boards unless they were removed (unlikely) for the photos. That, and the phony LS pitch, leads me to conclude there may be other statements that are less than accurate.

3. I don't remember if power seats were even available on the 2000 S model, and those photos are inclusive. They were standard on the '00 and '01 LS, and they were heated. It would be prudent to confirm that they are in fact there.

4. I haven't run price comps, but my gut tells me that $11K is high for a 2000 S model. Particularly since the factory warranty expired at 60K.

A search of this forum will turn up lots of maintenance items to check on. At 65K, the timing belt, water pump and brakes SHOULD be okay. They should still be inspected, though.

All fluids, but most importantly the transmission fluid, should have been changed at least once already. That 4L30 shift box tends to develop varnish and sludge. So if it's never been changed, I think most would agree that flushing now will only create problems. Just drain and fill 2-3 times over 30 days or so, and you shoud be okay.

Although spark plugs are supposedly good for 100K, they should have been changed around 40K. A search will turn up several siezed plug stories.

The most likely problem you might encounter is oil consumption. Some 3.5L Troopers burn a quart in 1000-1500 miles. Others, like my '01 LS, don't burn any. EGR carbon buildup seems to make matters worse, so periodic cleaning is advisable.

I may be wrong, but I think the maintenance schedule calls for the wheel bearings to be repacked at 60K.

The 4WD components are an unknown to me, 'cause mine is 2WD. But run a search. There are some potential problem areas. As for the third row seat, you're on your own. IIRC, there have been safety issues with all of them.

Hope this gives you some direction. Work this board, 'cause a lot of folks here know way more than I.

Dave
    That's a good catch...even now I am not sure its a S or an LS....In the carfax it says
    -------------------------
    The story of this 2000 ISUZU TROOPER S/LS/LIMITED (JACDJ58X7Y7J17055) according to our interpretation of the information reported to CARFAX:
    This SUV has had 2 owners and was owned in Montana and Arizona. It was originally registered to a rental agency and operated as a daily rental passenger vehicle.
    It has had no minor or moderate accidents reported to CARFAX.
    It has had no DMV-reported total loss events, like a major accident, fire or flood.
    It has a consistent mileage history with no indication of an odometer rollback.

The last odometer reading, reported on 07/22/2001, was 7,485 miles.
    -------------------------------------------

This means that the average miles per year is almost 20K miles for the last 3 years.....which I think tells that most of the miles are highway miles??
    Yeah, I seem to recall that trooper VIN's don't indicate which model it is.

Those rental units muddy the water, because the rental companies called them LS's. But they were simply S models optioned with maybe electric seats and tinted windshield. That didn't make them true LS's, though.

Don't know about the "highway miles" premise, but if it indeed spent most of its life in Arizona and Montana, I'd guess that's a safe presumption.
  • rotweilrotweil Member Posts: 3
    Well bought another trooper. I have a 93 S 4x4 with 165k on it that will be going up for sale. I was thinking of getting a new 4runner or pilot. Test drove the 4runner and it's was a bit small for me. The pilot is real nice but even with bargaining the regular ex (no nav, leather) was 28 grand. I'm not into the latest and greatest but I do like my cash so I couldn't pull the trigger when I saw what I could get a used trooper for. Just picked my 2002 up from the dealership for $14,600 out the door with 14k miles, warranty to Nov 05 and services records showing a dealer visit every 3k miles. Yeah it's not as fancy as newer vehicles and I'm going to add a roof rack, side step rails and a CD player but it will still be a lot cheaper then 28K. Maybe I'll blow the extra cash on a nice used boat for lake lanier.

BTW I am going to add a tow hitch. Not going to do a lot of towing and was wondering if a transmission cooler is needed. Also notice there is no transmission dip stick. Is this how all the new vehicles are..no more checking the transmission unless you get the dealer to throw up on on the rack? I guess I'm used to older tech cars eh?
    That is actually neither an S/LS/Limited...

It is an Rental model. Indicators of rental fleet vehicles include:

No in-glass antenna combined with factory tinted rear/side windows.
    2-tone with Power driver seat.

Those are the dead giveaways that it was the special fleet troopers sold to rental car companies. I wouldn't touch this one unless it was in the 6K range. I'd also call and threaten to contact the better business board.

-mike
    Thanks every one...I will keep my eyes open for a better one....

Keep you posted
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    The warranty on my 1999 S is about to expire. I have 1 long term problem that I am not sure what I should do about? There is a weird "twang" in my steering column when I turn back and forth on center. It is almost like there is a squared off point on a hole it is running through that makes it do something weird when you change direction?

I don't think it is play in the column or gear since the wheels are fine when jacked up and tightening/loosing the gear has no effect. I had my whole column replaced under warranty already about 2 years back to see if that would fix it.

Last year I tried unsuccessfully to get this fixed again. They said that while they agree it is there, they cannot find anything wrong or loose.

With my warranty up in a month, I am not sure if I should drop it off and say fix it or else agree to extend the warranty on it? Or if I should ignore it and let it just be there? Most likely they won't do a thing and I will have to spend several hours back and forth to make nothing happen. I am just worried about the cost 1 year from now if I have a problem. I got Isuzu corporate involved both times, the first time they replaced the column, then when Isuzu was on the ropes, they would barely return my calls.
  • peterismepeterisme Member Posts: 68
    Inhale Gasket: Repeat offender

On Saturday, the check engine light was on in my 99 Trooper. It is a S, with 78000 miles. So I send it to the dealer today. They said it is the gasket problem in the engine. Same problem happened when the car was around 40000 miles. It becomes chronic disease now. It takes $340 to install a new one.

Do you guys have the same experience? And can you guys find cheaper places to repair it?

Thanks!

Pete
    The Trooper is rated to tow 5000K without an additional transmission cooler. I believe it already has one built in to the radiator.
    thanks
    It is rated to tow w/o a cooler, but it is a good idea to put one in. I've been debating putting one in mine.

-mike
    yup talked to my mechanic. Atlanta is hot. Coolers are cheap and transmissions are expensive so I'm putting one in. Also got a nice surprise when I called Isuzu to register the warranty under my name. I knew the 10 year 120K warranty was transferable only to family members so I thought I only had the remainder of the 3 year 50k bumper to bumper. Turns out they transfer part of the drive train warranty... a 5 year 60k warranty. Feel I got an even better deal now since the truck only has 14k on it. BTW talked to a few dealers in addition to Isuzu North America and some my leave this year but plenty will stay to honor service agreements.
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Do you know who will stay and who will go? I think we only have four dealers left in the metro area now. I usually go to Lou Sobh for oil changes and, even though Pugmire is much closer, their service dept. is virtually non-existent (one mechanic just a couple of hours each day in some different location)...
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I did a similar search to replace my 1995 Trooper which was totalled last summer.
    My 2 cents:
    All of the "rental fleet" Troopers I test drove, even with only 15K miles, desperately needed the shocks replaced and I would do the OME springs too.
    All but one of the rental fleet Troopers had mismatched tires. Mismatched tires are very bad for limited slips in differentials. These tires were not very old, but were very "bottom of the line" so they would need replaced immediately also.
    A pair of rental fleet Troopers with nearly the same Vehicle ID#s with nearly the same mileage, had radically different wear and tear on them, look each one over carefully in every detail, sit in each seat belt position and put on each seat belt, etc....

I have a LittlePassengerSeat from my 1995, I have not yet installed it in my 2001. The seat is built very very strong. It bolts in with 4 each 3/8-24 grade-8 bolts. The brackets stay in place with the seat out which makes it about a 10 minuted task to take the seat out or put it back. The seat I have does not fold. I mounted it facing rear for easy access to load kids through the back door. This creates a significant hidden space between the middle and new third row, enough for my tools and a few extra things like a small step ladder.
    Got a quote from the dealer for rear brakes on my Trooper. The "rotors are so rusted I can't turn them he says." Yikes. $766. As far as I can tell, the rotors are nice and shiny.

I'm really thinking of taking this somewhere else for a quote. Does anyone make aftermarket disks/pads?
    Transmission Cooler...is a very good idea for any vehicle that does regular towing. I haven't yet put one in the 1999 I bought this spring but I will. I own a motorcycle touring company and we do extensive trailering to move bikes around, etc., primarily with a one-ton conversion van but sometimes with the Trooper as well. Our vans, Suburban, Avalanche, etc. have all had coolers.

Rear brakes: $766 is high on the brakes. I had mine done (by my regular mechanics) after I bought this (2nd) 1999 Trooper and I think it was under $400. The higher end Wagner rotors are supposed to be pretty good and my mechanics used NAPA "Gold" rotors which they have had good experience with. The NAPA "Gold" stuff seems to be good in general, for example, the "Gold" oil filter is actually a high end WIX, etc. The cheaper aftermarket rotors will warp more easily I'm told and a greater percentage of them are out of round fresh from the box. Good quality rear rotors for the Trooper seem to run $80-$110 each.

Intake Gasket: Mine was done at about 45K (before I bought the vehicle) and I think that when it needs to be done again, I'll do it myself (unless time is scarce). Fortunately, the truck doesn't seem to need that yet but I've love to read comments from list members who've done that replacement themselves. As I recall, it isn't brain surgery.

Cheers,

Sean
    I had figured that $400 was about what it should cost. I can get Brembo disks for $70 or so each, and the pads for no more than that. So $200 for parts and $200 for a couple of hours labor...

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Do you really need to turn the rotors? Are they still within specs for thickness and runout? Many of the recent rotors are such that you really may not want to turn them since there is not sufficient material. How many miles do you have on your Trooper?

My '00 LS is over 67,000 on the original brakes. I'm thinking about replacing the pads.. and considering leaving the rotors alone. The original Isuzu pads have been absolutely NO dust (vs the Jeep GCL my wife drove until we traded it 6 weeks ago..it was MAX dust.) I'm almost afraid to go with even the ceramic 'dustless' aftermarket pad because of that. Have not priced them locally, but have seen posts that St Charles Isuzu in Missouri gives a decent price.

Bill
    At 20K I did my rear rotors cause they were destroyed by the rear backing plates. I put on Isuzu pads front and rear at that time. I now have 75K miles on it and they are doing well, will throw on a set of pads soon so I don't have to turn the fronts which are a major PITA.

-mike
    If Brembo's car/truck rotors are as good as their motorcycle rotors then they should be excellent. The front pads and rotors were done on my 1999 a couple thousand miles before I bought it (by the previous owner himself) and the rears were done just after. The front wheels show lots of brake dust and the rear wheels stay clean. Naturally, the front brakes do more of the work but I suspect my mechanic made a good pad choice for the rears. If anyone's interested, I'll check and see what he used. Otherwise, genuine Isuzu pads may be worth getting. If you can get good pads and rotors for $200 total you're doing great - I would have guessed $250 - $300 for those. Swapping the rear rotors and pads is very straightforward (I watched my mechanic do it) and so should only be about 1- 1.5 hrs. labor (if the shop is honest) .

Are you sitting down...my shop charges only $42.00 an hour for labor and the only people to work on the vehicles are the two owner-operators. I have friends who own BMW motorcycle dealerships and I know they're getting close to $100/hour for labor.

Still waiting for my OMEs to arrive.

Sean