Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Blazer GMC Jimmy Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 4whlost4whlost Member Posts: 1
    Just recently my 91 Blazer we used for fishing trips was taken on a joy-ride and then vandalized..[dash and 4-wheel indicators smashed]..I have made some basic repairs to get it mobile again,,but now the front axle wont engage..since we only use 4-low anyway,,does anyone know of a simple way to engage the front axle[I,m thinking its an electrical problem as the wiring on the selector indicator was damaged]..?
  • 20blazer0020blazer00 Member Posts: 28
    Hey ,
    On the way to work today my "service engine soon" light cameon and stayed on. What is this? Is it telling me its time for a tune up? :confuse:
  • 70ss454_man70ss454_man Member Posts: 107
    I would go to autozone and have your codes checked for malfunctions.
  • 20blazer0020blazer00 Member Posts: 28
    I went to advance, they checked it, it was a evap leak, prob gas cap, they cut it off, and I redid cap tightly and drove all day and it didnt come back on
  • cheers123cheers123 Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 93 Jimmy with the same prob. Did you ever get it resolved? If yes what was it?
  • rallanrallan Member Posts: 10
    Try pulling on the release and have another person push down on the hood at the same time. If it opens then you need to adjust the latch or stops
    Check the dash light potientometer (the switch that adjust the brightness of the dash lights)
  • cheers123cheers123 Member Posts: 2
    I checked the dimmer pot. That wasn´t it. I have the digital display. The Speedometer stays lit. Just the coolant,fuel,oil pres,voltage,and tach don´t light up. any other tips?
  • 00jimmy00jimmy Member Posts: 5
    The heater core went out on my 2000 Jimmy. It is currently disconnected, but I need to fix it soon. I have talked with some folks that suggest replacing the heater core THROUGH the fire wall. Has anyone tried this on a Jimmy?? Thanks in advance.
  • jmbeazjmbeaz Member Posts: 5
    I had to replace the Heater Core in my '97 Blazer, and had to take the dash off to gain access.
  • bigd1948bigd1948 Member Posts: 1
    i replaced the brakes and bleed the brakes. the brake pedal is hard and seems fine, when i start the car the brake pedal goes soft
  • twistkicktwistkick Member Posts: 1
    I have a '97 GMC Jimmy that needs a new rear end. I was told I need to find out the gear ratio to make sure I get the right parts. How do I find the information I need?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You mean just "soft but working fine" or "soft and to the floor?"

If you just feel the pedal depress a little when you start up, that's okay, that's just the power brake booster kicking in. If the brakes work fine and feel fine after that, you're okay.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Inside the glove box is a white label listing all the options and configuration of the vehicle when built. Look for an option like "GU6". Here are most that I know of:

GT4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO
    GT5 -- AXLE REAR, 4.10 RATIO
    GU4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO
    GU5 -- AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
    GU6 -- AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO
    G80 -- AXLE REAR, LIMITED SLIP (POSITRACTION)

Most common in the small Blazer/Jimmy 2wd is the GU6/3.42.
  • johnnycagejohnnycage Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 1996 Chevy Blazer4X4 I have had for about 4 years now with no problems. It has about 157,000 miles on it. And I never use the 4x4 option. Recently the Service Engine Soon light came on. I took it in for a free diagnostic check at a local shop. He told me the service code he got was a P1886, and has a issue with the 2-3 shift solenoid on my automatic trans. I did know the transmission had started to react very slow on the start when this light came on. And it never engages in overdrive now. Whats really odd is when I start it in the morning, or even shut if off for a few minutes. The trans shifts great. Then it slowly starts to get in the mode of high RPM to get the truck moving from a traffic light. If I manually shift from 1-2 there is no change and the engine RPM's hi. But when I go from 2-3, it is hard on the trans in shifting. The shop said the trans looks very good. But suggests a shift solenoid to be replaced. And he said he can clean out the solenoid for under a $100 dollars to see if it helps. He claims it is next to the valve body under the pan. Is this something I can do? I'm pretty handy with taking apart the car in most repairs. I believe the trans I have is a 4L60 but I am not sure. Let me know if the shop said was OK, and if possible for me to do it myself, to save the extra bucks in these hard times. Thanks Much!!
  • cpuhachcpuhach Member Posts: 3
    i got a 95 blazer 4.3, problem is can run great then when u try to start it , it wont fire. has fuel, and spark, no ttouble codes , had to dissconnect battery or wait, then it starts right up. had it checked by Gm, cant find a problem, replaced computer still the same, any ideas? :
  • leoandmeleoandme Member Posts: 7
    I've got a '96 Blazer 4x4, 4.3L, V-6, LS. Bought it used in '98, had 35K miles on it, and it's been pretty good to me, but it's now got a little over 100K on it, and the problems have started.

Here's my problem: Every time I start the engine, the #4 fuse (gauges) blows out, the daytime running lights go out, the dash lights go out, and it drains the battery right down in no time.

Put a new alternator in today, new spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, oil filter and oil changed. Apparently, none of those things helped at all, and it looks like it's an electrical problem, but I have absolutely NO idea of where to look for a short or wire damage first. Electrical is not our strong suit, but pretty handy with most other things and a quick learner.

Has anyone else had a similar problem or heard of anything like this? I would appreciate any help, because we're both stumped here and are running low on spare fuses. Please, please help! :sick:
    Thanks for all the help, guys, but we managed to find the problem on our own. Oddly enough (or maybe not), it was the ignition switch. I didn't think of that before because I didn't have any problems with the Blazer's starting, and it wasn't stalling, either. Nonetheless, all the weird and funky electrical/fuse-blowing problems were coming from a bad ignition switch. Just thought I'd post the solution in case anyone has/or will have a similar problem. :)
  • lildavidjaxlildavidjax Member Posts: 68
    '98 Chevy Blazer has error code P1870.I know this has to do with the transmission,but
    don't know where to start.This has something to do with the surging I'm sure. Any ideas? Thank you guys! :confuse:
  • foxracer1foxracer1 Member Posts: 9
    hi this is brian i also have a gmc jimmy i have the same problem. check all ur hoses u have a vacuum actuator under the battery tray follow the vacuum hose up to the fire wall and make sure its still hook after that look at the passager side kick panel take it off and u should see a box with wires going in to it check the wires and take them off an blow them off sometimes water gets in there and will make the wires damp or wet. its called the TCCM cumputer i had to replace mine and then my lights came back on in side so hope i help u good luck
  • impalacabimpalacab Member Posts: 11
    Hi, I have a 98 Blazer 4.3 LT. The problem with it, is that the 4WD not working. I've checked, and found out that the switch on the dash work, the box under the RH kick panel work, the transfer case work, the vacuum actuator work (pulls the wire real strong).... So I've figured out that the problem should be in the front axle? What is the wire from the vacuum actuator connected to in the front axle? Is there something in the front axle that use to break down? Something easy fixed? Someone had that problem before? I´m quite handy, so fixing it might be simple, just want to know how it works in the axle. Someone that has had this problem before? Or know how it works in the front axle, please help... Any explode wiews of the front axle to wiew somewhere on the internet? Thanks, Magnus
  • parker9parker9 Member Posts: 2
    sounds like we have the same problem. lets just hope its nothing too expensive.
  • swoodruffswoodruff Member Posts: 2
    I recently replaced the heads on my 1997 gmc jimmy 4.3 I have no power to the cab I have power from the battery is there a fusable link that could go out I read of someone who had the same problem after replacing engine I would appreciate some help, thanks Stan
    Oddly enough (or maybe not), it was the ignition switch.

Actually, it turns out it wasn't the ignition switch after all. After hours of impotently tracing wiring, looking for that ever elusive wire short, I realized that it wasn't a shorted wire in some magical place. So after a few more hours of scouring the internet, I came to realize that it probably was related to what everyone else is having problems with... that damned electric/vacuum actuated 4 wheel drive that has caused Blazer owners everywhere nothing but headaches and empty wallets.

Here's what was actually causing my #4 Gauge fuse to blow.... The electrical plug that goes from the actuator to "that black cone shaped gizmo" (or "the donkey d!ck") on the front differential. I unplugged that wire thing, and no more blown fuses!

Now here's the part I don't understand though (and if anyone has an explanation, I'd be deeply ingratiated). I expected something with the 4-wheel to not work, once that plug is disconnected, but that's not the case (...yet). The lights on the 4x4 dash switch all work and correspond with whatever is engaged at the time. The 4hi and 4low seem to engage just fine when the buttons are pressed... I hear the "click" when I press one of the buttons, the actuator can be heard engaging the gears for the 4x4 button that was pressed, and in a nano-second, the second "click" can be heard inside the cab again, signaling that the 4x4 is now engaged. The 4x4 indicator lights on the dash stay lit (not reverting back to 2hi at all). Frankly, I'm scratching my head about it all. I guess if that pesky plug doesn't have any productive function (other than to blow fuses), I'll just wrap the ends up with some waterproof adhesive, zip tie the ends somewhere safe, and keep on truckin'.

Any advice on what the function of that plug is, or how could it go bad but the actuator itself still be okay, would be much appreciated!
  • redgmsredgms Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I was hoping someone could give me a few quick tips on installing a new thermostat in my 02' Blazer. I would appreciatge any help! Thanks!
  • bradtownbradtown Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the info...

I have a 1995 Blazer 4X4 that is also blowing the #4 guage fuse. I read your post and am hoping that what you wrote will solve my problem. I am not sure exactly what the black cone shaped part is, or where it is located. Can you please email me with a picture, or a bepper location. Thanks in advance..

bradtown@everestkc.net
  • dougerdouger Member Posts: 1
    My girlfriend has a 2000 Blazer. The ABS light came on and she could not get the vehicle to go over 5-10 mph. Is there a plug to a module I could unplug? Is it possibly a fuse problem? I have not looked at the vehicle yet, so am just looking for places to start. Is the ABS System part of the EBCM module or are they separate. Can I unplug the EBCM and drive it to the shop at regular speed and still have brakes? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, douger
    Here's the final update and solution to my recent saga with my '96 Chevy Blazer....

Original Problem: #4 (Gauges) Fuse would blow every time I started my '96 Blazer, daytime running lights would go out, alternator would get bypassed, car ran straight off of the battery... basically, I was going nowhere...

Incorrect Solution: Here are all the things I replaced in the hopes that it would solve my fuse blowing problem...But none of them were the correct solution!...alternator, ignition switch, 4WD actuator, shorted wire, loose ground wire, tumbler, etc. (NOTE: none of these were the "correct" solution to my problem, so if your #4 fuse is blowing every time you start your Blazer, I'd be willing to bet that replacing any of the afore mentioned parts won't solve your problem either.)

Solution: 4WD Indicator Light Switch (or at least that's it's the technical name GM has chosen for it). (OE# 15598481) It's related to the 4x4 system and is located on the "shift cable housing" (black cone shaped object that houses the cable that engages the 4x4 when the actuator is engaged by pressing the button on your dashboard). This Indicator Light Switch looks like an electric plug, and it is located right in the area of the front axle on the driver's side of the car. Actually, the switch is on the side of the cable housing, which is bolted (with 3 bolts, in a triangular base) to the front differential. Don't worry if that all sounds confusing, because I'm no expert in clear technical explanations. So instead, I've taken some alternative measures to help explain...

Here are some pictures that will hopefully help explain the location of said Indicator Light Switch better than any I attempt I can make using 1,000 words.....

(click on photo for larger size)
    The above picture is what it all looks like when you lay down under the front of the car with your head facing the rear of the vehicle and your feet sticking out from the front. When you're under the middle of the car and under the front axle, turn your head left (towards the driver's side) and this is what you should see.

The above picture is what it looks like from the front, looking towards the back of the car.

And finally, the above picture is of the culprit itself. The nut is rusty in the picture because that's the old (broken) one I pulled out of my truck. If you'll notice on the other pictures, the nut is a shiny, new brass color. You'll need a 7/8" box wrench to loosen the sucker, but it's not tightened too much, as the cone it's attached to is made of plastic.

Bottom Line: $20 part, 10 minutes of work, and my Blazer is now fixed! And that's the entire story!

I'm hoping that anyone who has a similar problem in the future will find this post useful and will also avoid wasting hours of time trying to figure it out (like I did) and/or spending obscene amounts of money on a mechanic.

Good Luck & Keep on Truckin'!!

Leo and me :)
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Anybody change the motor mounts? It looks like I have a broken mount and wanted to get input on the busted knuckle count before I decided to take it on.

Thanks,

Jim
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Well done! Thanks.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Thank you, tidester.

I should also add that although that solution was what worked for my particular problem, I realize that it's not an absolute solution for everyone who has a problem with their #4 Gauge fuse blowing when they start their Blazer. There are many circuits that lead to that particular fuse. I found a listing of which systems are linked to the #4 fuse in my Owner's Manual that came with my Blazer, but that's for my 1996 Blazer. I'm not sure about the other years.

Bradtown and I have been exchanging e-mails these past few days, in the hopes of being able to solve his problem with the #4 Gauge fuse blowing on his 1995 Blazer. I'm hoping he'll be able to post an update on what he's finally discovered was causing the problem in his truck. Needless to say, it wasn't the 4WD Indicator Light Switch that caused my problem. What he also discovered was that his '95 Blazer was wired up differently than my '96 Blazer, as far as where the 4WD Indicator Light Switch is actually located. On his '95, it's located closer to the passenger's side and actually on the front axle. So, it looks as though GM changed things around a bit just from that one year to the next. I can only imagine what other year's Blazers are like.

Again, I want to restate that the other post I made is only one possible solution to a fuse blowing problem. Naturally, it's always best to consult a repair manual for your specific year and model and follow your best judgment when solving the problem.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Oh, I agree it's probably not a universal solution but it's great work. Perhaps you and Bradtown would consider writing up a "Guide?" (see the link at the top of this page)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • klupammoklupammo Member Posts: 2
    The radio on the Blazer will start to turn off and on when the car gets warmed up. It won't do it when you initially turn the car on but after about 10 minutes it starts its problem. The off and on times vary, they are not consistent.

Also, the car battery dies at wierd times. The car may go for two day or three weeks without the battery dying but it will die at some point. It may start in the driveway but die at the store. It is not a complete death either. It will click the starter solenoid or the hood light may turn on but dim. We are not sure if the battery problem is part of the radio problem.

Any Ideas?
  • klupammoklupammo Member Posts: 2
    One other thing to note on the radio. If the radio is shut off, the power will still go on and off. The clock will go out and come back on. I can not find a short.
  • rankinrankin Member Posts: 2
    97 Jimmy....heater core has a small leak but it sure stinks up the place and scums over the windshield. So to get the heater core out for repair or replace, do I have to take out the whole dashboard from one side of the car to the other? Maybe the windshield too? Ha. seriously this looks like a bear to remove. I'm not scared to do it, just want to know how to attack.

Al
  • keepenitallkeepenitall Member Posts: 4
    Hello, I own a '91 Jimmy 4.3lt. I put into 4 wheel Hi and drove 1/2 a mile. ( snow covered road) now it sounds like it is still in 4 Hi.or in between it will shift into 4 wheel Hi and nuetral & 4 wl.low.. AND all works.. drove in reverse to try to disengage and put light out.nothing.. can hear deferential whinning, yet differant than actualy being in 4 wheel dr.climbed under neath there are no obstructions. Have used several times this year and had no problems.. Thanks..
  • sam1969sam1969 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer, it keeps giving me code P0301 - Misfire on #1 Cylinder, I have replaced the spark plug 3 times and the wires are new. I had to replace the engine a few months ago with another used engine. I don't know what else to check. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Hello, I own a '91 Jimmy 4.3lt. I put into 4 wheel Hi and drove 1/2 a mile. ( snow covered road) now it sounds like it is still in 4 Hi.or in between it will shift into 4 wheel Hi and nuetral & 4 wl.low.. AND all works.. drove in reverse to try to disengage and put light out.nothing.. can hear deferential whinning, yet differant than actualy being in 4 wheel dr.climbed under neath there are no obstructions. Have used several times this year and had no problems.. Thanks..
  • tolesontoleson Member Posts: 9
    I just bought a 95 blazer and it got hit in the rear. Now the fuse for the rear parking light keeps blowing when you go to turn the lights on... Also i noticed that there are no back lights for the gages and the 4 wheel drive push button system on the dash isnt working... lights or anything... is it possible that all of this is because of that fuse?
    Hi toleson,

The fuse for the rear parking lights and the gauge fuse are on different circuits, so it sounds like you've got two different problems. Firstly, it sounds like the rear parking light problem resulted from the truck being hit. I'd recommend tracing the wiring in the back to make sure that the wires going to the back lights aren't pinched or broken. If they're okay, one of the tail lights might have been damaged and needs to be replaced. That should solve that fuse blowing problem.

Now, onto the other problem with the gauge lights and 4x4 lights. Did you check the fuse to make sure that it's not blown as well? And the dashboard light adjustment is turned up to brighten the display? If that's all in order, you may have a wiring problem. Or your 4WD actuator might be the problem. Is your 4WD still engaging when you press the button for 4HI or 4LOW even though the lights don't show? It's really difficult to tell at that point. You'll just have to start testing the different systems that are related to the things that aren't working to track down what's causing the lights not to work. Unless the accident was bad enough to damage more than just the tail lights, the two problems will have two separate solutions.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Maybe you can give us some more information about the gauge lighting problem?

Good Luck,
    leo & me
    The truck has two brand new tail lights in it. The brake lights work but no parking lights. That issue keeps popping the #3 fuse.... Wich indicates to me a short. Like you said a pinched or Exposed wire. That doesnt bother me all that much that should be nothing. The Truck really wasnt hit that bad. Ive known the person that I bought it from all my life and he doesnt lie to me and I know how he is. I have faith in that. All of the other Fuses in the Block by the drivers door are good ( aside from the number three fuse) I dont however have a tester at this time to see if indeed there is power to the 4X4 switch... I will have further updates tomorrow once this Damn Nor Eastern Gets all done.

Do you know of anywhere online that might be able to hook me up with a wiring diagram?
    All of the gauges,Cig lighter,accessory plug ins, Work.... The one thing that I find interesting is the reading lamps... They work when you unlock the truck fine. But when you go to turn them on when the door is closed and the dimmer switch is all the way up but not All the way on ( if that makes any sense) they will not turn on... I really do not understand that one... Right now im just gonna find the short for the parking lights and go from there i guess
  • johnnyo2johnnyo2 Member Posts: 1
    long shot but i had a similar problem and it was the vaccume line coming from the cruise control to the middle of the fire wall above the distributor to a connector. the hose was broke.
    Well guys thanks for all your input . I got the problem Fixed. Believe it or not the main part of the spare tire frame pinched the wire going to the license plate light. This caused a short making it so that the fuse kept popping. I fixed that wire and the issues went away. The only thing now is the 4 wheel drive doesnt work... The push button works but the 4 wheel doesnt engage... The buttons act as if it is working but it doesnt engage... hmmm idk lol
    That's really great that you found the source of the short fuse blowing!

About your 4WD, I'd recommend checking all of the vacuum hoses, especially the one going to the actuator (under the battery tray). If vacuum hoses are all on tight and not broken, my bet would be that the actuator itself is probably bad. Just pop out the battery & battery tray, and it's right under there. That's the most common problem with the these 4WDs.

Good luck & let us know how you do!
    Check your 20 amp fuse under the hood labeled "atc"
    Re: 91 Jimmy with 4 wheel problem....
    Thank you very much, the problem was indeed the actuator just rusted out like you wouldn't believe. THANK YOU AGAIN AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS...... This is a Fantastic site with GREAT people..
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out Leoandme's new CarSpace guide too:

1996 Chevy Blazer Repair (Fuse blowing & 4WD Indicator Light Switch)

Thanks Leoandme!
  • blaser2blaser2 Member Posts: 1
    My 95 blazer is having 4wd problems. I push the button and it goes to 4wd and you can hear it engage. However the front tires do not have power. Only rear wd. Any help would b greatly aprreciated. I found out after I got stuck for 2hrs in the snow today....
    take a look at the front axle vacuum actuator, it is located under the battery tray.
    that is more than likely the problem also check and replace any damaged vacuum hoses. good luck