Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Grand Vitara vs Subaru Forester vs Hyundai Santa Fe vs Jeep Liberty vs Ford Escape vs Saturn

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The Pony was never sold in the US. I've seen some in Suriname, though. Along with many of those little scooters!

In a motorcycle, the safety lies in the driver's defensive technique. Always leave yourself an out and practice situational awareness. Very different than driving a car.

I rode them for several years, during my wild and crazy young days.

Bill - LOL! Love that Pikachu pic!

That Forester is an older one, though. It got a face lift in 2001.

The smallest Subaru was the Justy. It was tiny, but ahead of its time with full time AWD and a CVT (continuously variable transmission). They stopped selling it here because small cars just don't sell much.

The cheapest car in the current lineup is the Impreza TS wagon, but it's hardly stripped. It has AWD, ABS, CD player, power package, 2.5l 165hp engine, and A/C all standard.

-juice
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    ...always intrigued me, especially with the Continuously Variable Transmission.
    Was it a durable, reliable car?

ejp
  • billtungbilltung Member Posts: 255
    Thanks for anwsering my questions. Now I know more about Subaru!

U have a great day!
    The Justy was a little better than average in reliability, IIRC, but nothing to write home about. I remember an article in a magazine where the Justy took 2nd in a large group of cars in their test of braking in snow. Who won? The Subaru SVX.

Subaru improved a lot after the 1993 Legacy was introduced. Every vehicle since then has had good reliability ratings (and gets Consumer Reports' "Good Bet" stamp of approval).

OK, some more history, anyone? Subaru was the first company to put 4WD on a car platform, and that was way back in 1973! So the Outback was not the world's first sport utility wagon, but the AMC Eagle wasn't either. It was the Subaru wagon!

Subaru also pioneered the FWD import movement, but the 360 wasn't exactly a car to brag about.

What else? Well, the 1995 Outback opened the floodgates for all the crossover vehicles we see now, including the Santa Fe.

Finally, they offered AWD before it became trendy. It's rather funny to see Mercedes, BMW, and now Jaguar copy them.

-juice
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    The 360 was rear engine RWD.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Museum/Tam/Car/Subaru/

I believe the first US FWD Subaru's were the 1100's that came out in 1971. FWD had actually been successfully used in Europe for years before that. Saab, Citroen, Mini all had mass produced FWD vehicles prior to Subaru and all had imported to the US. The Honda 600
    was also FWD, although sales were mostly on the West Coast.
    An official Subaru History page

http://www.fhi.co.jp/subaru/tope00.htm
    I stand corrected. The 360 may have been the first Asian FWD import, at least I read that somewhere.

It's one funky looking car, no?

-juice
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Um, MB offered AWD back in 1989 ;-) It was a very sophisiticated full-time system, similar to the Porsche 959 supercar's and with an auto locking rear differential. The first generation 4-matic system was replaced in 1998 by the current system which is much less complex, far lighter, less expensive, and even more effective.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    ateixeira says: "In a motorcycle, the safety lies in the driver's defensive technique. Always leave yourself an out and practice situational awareness. Very different than driving a car."

No way!!! That is EXACTLY how I drive, how I live my entire life. You never trap yourself. Period.
    ateixeira: "Subaru also pioneered the FWD import movement, but the 360 wasn't exactly a car to brag about."

What about SAAB?

"Finally, they offered AWD before it became trendy. It's rather funny to see Mercedes, BMW, and now Jaguar copy them."

I thought the BMW ix series was around a while ago. What about Audi?
    OK, here is the true 4WD-on-a-car-platform pioneer, folks:

Before Audi and AMC. Way, way before Mercedes or BMW. More than two decades before cross over vehicles became popular.

-juice
    PS Side-note: anyone else see the styling resemblance to the new Sante Fe?
  • hung0820hung0820 Member Posts: 426
    Hyundai has made safety the number one priority when developing the Santa Fe, which has been recognised by the organisers of the North American NCAP crash test survey. Thanks to the use of a Cray super computer which simulates crashes at many angles, along with many actual tests, the Santa Fe earned some impressive scores.

It earned four stars (drivers side) and five stars (passenger side) in the American NCAP front offset crash tests. And in the side impact tests, the US testers awarded it five stars on both the driver and passenger sides.

The Santa Fe has a frame-type monocoque body and seven-way impact dispersion to give it maximum strength and protection in the event of a collision.

All Santa Fe models come with standard anti-lock brakes with Electronic Brake Force Distribution, enabling maximum braking force to be applied to the wheels with the most grip whilst preventing wheel lock up.

Santa Fe also has an automatic fuel cut-off facility in the event of a severe accident, as well as a collision sensor and lock release mechanism to allow a quick exit for all passengers in such an event. The central locking system will automatically unlock the doors if the airbag is deployed.

The Santa Fe is equipped with the latest in depowered airbags which are standard equipment for both driver and passenger. The front seatbelts have pre-tensioners, which tensions the belt and then gradually releases it in the event of a collision.

Childproof locks are standard on all three models.

The 60/40 front/rear drive split on normal roads of Santa Fe's full-time all-wheel-drive is unusual, 50/50 being the norm for such systems, and it matches the car's approximate kerb weight distribution. This 60/40 ratio can vary either way according to load and/or changes in wheel grip conditions.

Strong Word:
    ***Hyundai has made SAFETY THE NUMBER ONE (#1) PRIORITY when developing the Santa Fe***
    I'm afraid that the above seems to pretty much be just marketing info to me. FYI, the US NCAP is pretty lacking and hasn't been updated since the 1970's. A better indicator of the strength of the vehicle's structure and the safety cage + the effectiveness of the crumple zones is the IIHS 40mph offset crash test (into a deformable barrier carefully designed to simulate the front of another vehicle). The NHTSA/NCAP's tests mainly focus of the effectiveness of the vehicle's restraint systems. Not many people crash the entire width of the vehicle's front end into a flat concrete wall.

Most vehicles nowadays have gone through the Cray supercomputer virtual crash tests as well, and the automatic fuel cutoff can even be found in a Ford Tempo.

The four/five star NHTSA results are good, but IMHO, it would be wise to take the IIHS's crash test into account too since it is entirely possible for a vehicle to do well in the NHTSA's test, but poorly in the IIHS's test. The Nissan Pathfinder is one example of this.

Side impact airbags would be nice...I'm surprised that Hyundai doesn't offer them here (if I recall correctly from your earlier posts) since safety is supposed to be the "number one priority".

Good luck...

Drew
    Host
    We'll have to wait for the IIHS results.

To be fair, it is the first model year for the Santa Fe. I'm guessing new features will appear within a year or two.

Hyundai actually deserves credit for including rear disc brakes and offering traction control from the get-go. Toss in stability control and side air bags and they could lead their price class.

-juice
    juice, the Sante Fe's TRACS seems to be for the front wheels only. No biggie for them to add it since it was probably developed more for the FWD models w/o AWD.

Drew
    Host
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Hung- You really should list the source of your information when quoting it verbatim from another site. Regardless, it's pretty apparent that a Hyundai marketing type was the source for your last post. Next time, it would be easier if you just provided the URL to Hyundai's official Santa Fe web site.

-Frank P.
    Drew: that seems odd. If you have traction control technology on 2 wheels, why not all four? Are you sure?

That gives it one managed differential, and one open diffy.

Interestingly, the Forester has the reverse - only the rear diffy is managed.

-juice
    I have TCS on my AWD Santa Fe a plus with the ABS as well. Some of the USA Santa Fe already have the side airbags and will be add to the next year model or so. Just to give the Santa Fe without the bore feeling. There is also the A/T climate control and maybe the Digital Multimeter System add to the Santa Fe and LSD as well.

Well I guess NHTSA crash test does not convince any good then. IIHS crash test result: Will we be able to find this out?

My DAD Sienna Van show good on the IIHS but Okay on the NHTSA. Which mean is the opposite. What is going on with the CRASH TEST result on this 2 (IIHS and NHTSA)?
    The LSD is not necessary if it has 4 wheel traction control. They're probably figuring out the programming, and will offer it soon.

The NCAP results were good, actually. NHTSA does the NCAP at 35mph straight into a wall.

IIHS tests them at 40mph at an angle. 5mph doesn't sound like much, but the potential energy involved is much higher, so it's regarded as a very challenging test.

At least according to crashtest.com, the Sienna aces both tests, pretty much. Your dad is in good shape.

-juice
    I seem to recall that the US NCAP is actually only at 30 mph into a flat barrier, IOW, full-frontal flat barrier test. This is the test that all vehicles have to pass before they're allowed to be sold in the US. The NHTSA tests vehicles at 35 mph, so I'm not sure if it's the same test...I don't think it is. Any thoughts on this? FYI, the forces involved in the IIHS's 40mph offset crash are 78% higher than the government's.

As you mentioned, the Sienna did well in both the IIHS test and the NHTSA's test, scoring a good in the former, and nothing less than 4 stars in the latter.

Drew
    Host
  • pro212pro212 Member Posts: 44
    I can pull up the Hyundai corporate site for (I believe) europe and latin america, given my PC location. Hyundai describes (in english) the need for ABS and traction control (standard on these Eur and LA AWD models) and limited slip differental (optional on all models). Aparently the traction control operates in tandem with ABS in braking and slick (all wheel) situations. The LSD is described as important in situations where one (rear?) wheel is free, tranferring power to the other. The 60-40 AWD system is one of torque transfer for improved traction control as necessary. All this is to say Drew, that you should do your homework on how this Hyundai technology is designed to work, without making lots of your personal assumptions re: low cost FWD/traction control/LSD. For right or wrong, Hyundai has something different in mind, and some technology and test results to back it up. This is the least we should expect from our moderator, rather than propagating faulty info. Be more careful and neutral, Moderator Dude.

Re: side bags. Although I bought an LX and happy with the car, I'm extremely disappointed (see my earlier posts) that the US and Canada seem to be the only countries where Hyundai dropped the standard side bags! In Latin America and, aparently other European countries side bags are standard and promoted as a key safety feature of the car. The early production Santa Fes tested by Car and Driver as well as Prototypes at the Detroit Intl. Auto Show had side bags. So why the heck did they drop it only in the North American market? At the very least, Hyundai should have offered it as an option.

BTW, Hung's post comes from the UK www.new-car-net.co.uk/indepth.html This is the UK new car guide and car search with roadtest reports (Like Edmunds, I believe) I don't think this is just Hyundai marketing stuff, so I think again Drew, you are dead wrong or at least check your facts.

Although I usually agree with you Hung, this time I don't. Hyundai has not made "Safety Number 1 Priority" at least in the US market.

In other markets, Hyundai has side bag technology in 2001 Santa Fe's and withheld it purposefully (probably just to skim expenses or increase profit margin) for the US market. I'd like to get all current SF owners to WRITE to Hyundai and DEMAND retro-fitting side bags to our 2001 Santa Fes. In reality, Hyundai HAD their own safety test results showing the value of side bags on the Santa Fe (in fact they are even promoting this data overseas!) and then withheld this key safety feature from the US market. This is equivalent to a manufacturer taking steel reinforcement beams out of the doors of the US market cars after test results proved the steel reinforcement's effectiveness in preventing injury. If Ford was convicted of what Hyundai has just done in the US, we'd be hanging Ford out to dry.

(PS, Hyundai also withheld from the US market standard ABS/traction control (as on Latin and Europe AWD models), optional LSD (not available on AWD models in the US though actively promoted in other countries as a safety feature) mudflaps, power moonroof, tripmeter, front/rear brushguards (accessories available only on Korean models), standard roof crossrails (on Latin LX model) and cassette/CD combo player (as on some Canadian and European models). Guess what fans, Hyundai sent the US a stripped, de-safety featured US LX model, and none of us even knew as we moved ahead in our Santa Fe fever!! Nasty business practices coming from our friendly Korean manufacturer.

On the plus side, it seems like Hyundai only gave the North American market the 10 year 100000 mile powertrain warranty (Latin America model is only 1 year).
    ***Hyundai has made SAFETY THE NUMBER ONE (#1) PRIORITY when developing the Santa Fe**

This is just base on the the Santa Fe only not on other platform. The Santa Fe was designed in the US! I was once told by the worker in Fountain Valley, located in Los Angeles Area and I have passed by in the past. Their comment was told to make a beautiful structure design but more important the safety feature. That's why you will find 3 safety child lock design built in the trunk, etc. You can really tell by looking at the structure body made and it really kind of similar to the Corvette in the front hood. The hood have the two side-curve up. They told me that the AWD system is much better when it comes to crash test compare to the FWD as well. That's why I have asked to get the crash test different for the AWD and FWD.

As I assumed! The Santa Fe will do VERY Good (above average) but not EXCELLENT on crash test. So as well to compare to the new CRV and RAV4. Since they both have 4&5 stars! I would say the Santa Fe result will be similar! It maybe just slightly more but can be slightly less. What ever the result! It still going to be the BEST CRASH TEST result that Hyundai have ever received. This is what I mean by Hyundai top priority safety.

I am not good when it comes to AWD/4WD system. But I know that the system work in the Santa Fe is different then most of them in the market. Sample: I used to owned the AWD system in the RAV4 and most of the time I get to here the tire skid and sometime loose a little balance on turning angle and even on fast-hard braking. I have tried even harder and stronger on the Santa Fe but never get any tire skid or loose balance. I know that the 4/AWD system in the Santa Fe must be very good. The Manufacture still assume and told me it was 4WD system but this site said it was AWD. I would say it suppose to be 4/AWD to make it fair.
    I don't see why you would need to use an LSD and traction control on the same axle. They accomplish the same thing. Perhaps they are mutually exclusive options? Maybe the LSD is for 2WD only?

The reason for de-contenting for the US market may be that they felt they could compete better with a low price. If they see it's doing well, they could add back what they removed, maybe.

Most warranties are shorter in Latin America, so that's common practice.

I believe the LATCH/ISOFIX anchors are now required by law. All Subarus have them too. It certainly doesn't make any vehicle so equipped stand out.

-juice
    I'm a little fuzzy on how traction control works. Would it kick in if you were trying to accelerate from a dead stop on a slick surface? Maybe that type scenario is where LSD would be of value?

pro212- Where do you think the site got that data? Most auto reviewers start out by reading the manufacturer's promotional brochure and in many cases plagiarize from them. It's really done as a time saving feature since auto web sites in particular have to try and keep current info on many makes and models. I don't see a problem with it so long as a site does the same for all its reviews.

-Frank P.
    I don't know enough about TRACS to be sure, but whether it works on one or both axles, it has the same basic effect that an LSD does (send power to wheels that are not slipping).

-juice
    Our Hyundai Brochure and Website show that the Santa Fe can be equip with 4/AWD, TCS, ABS, and LSD. Yes! All of these can go together. Like I said the Santa Fe 4/AWD work very different when it comes to compare with the RAV4. It is much better and I can feel it. There is a good and different technology is going on with Hyundai.
    juice, TRACS and LSD are mutually exclusive on vehicles that have four wheel traction control, such as the Subaru H6 VDC wagon. Since the 4 wheel TRACS actually does the same job (and better in most cases than the rear LSD at that), there is no point having both of them.

As mentioned, the Sante Fe's TRACS is for the front wheels only and since Hyundai was already offering it for the FWD models, they didn't have to, or want to specially develop a 4 wheel traction control system for the AWD models, and simply offered the same system as an option across the line-up. Of course having a front wheel based traction control system with the AWD is better than having none, so it's good that they're offering that option. If a rear LSD is made standard or option for the future Sante Fe models, the setup will be similar to Volvo's XC. Tracs for the front (borrowed from the FWD wagons), and rear LSD for the back. Having this setup will allow for side to side power shifts, so to speak, but it cannot pull the vehicle out if only 1 wheel has traction. This is mainly due to the open centre diffy + the limitations of a LSD.

Traction control doesn't actually "send power" to the wheels that are not slipping. Rather, it slows down (read: creates resistance) the wheel that is spinning faster, so that the open differential is trick into not sending power to the path of least resistance.

ISOFIX/LATCH anchors are not mandatory in the US till 09/2002, I believe, so many manufacturers are leaving it till their MY2003 models.

Frank, TRACS absolutely does not activate when you're braking. At least not for the Sante Fe's. It does use the ABS sensors to monitor wheel spin though. The only traction control system (and it's a sophisiticated 4 wheel based system) that can activate while you're braking is the MB M-class's 4ETS. There is a special two foot or downhill mode that allows you to step on both the brake and throttle pedal at the same time and slowly creep up/down a hill with a loose surface.

Yes, what you said is correct. On most vehicles, traction control activates only when there is excessive wheelspin, either from a dead stop, or when moving along already. It basically compares the rate that the wheels are spinning, and when one (or more) is spinning faster than the others above a preset threshold, the TRACS then applies the brake to that particular wheel. More sophisticated systems can also reduce engine power in addition to applying the brake(s).

Drew
    Host
    So is the LSD on the Santa Fe on the rear axle, and TRACS on the front? That would mean both axles are managed (which is good).

Still, I can't imagine that's cost-effective. 4 wheel traction control would make more sense to me.

-juice
    I don't believe they offer a rear LSD at this point in time, but according to someone in a previous post, it may be offered for the next model year.

I suppose it's cost effective in that they don't have to develop an all new 4 wheel traction control system for just the AWD models. The centre viscous coupling, which is LSD too, would be redundant with 4 wheel TRACS, so throw that out and you need a different AWD system, and the accompanying costs associated with it. Adding the TRACS from the FWD model, and offering a rear LSD is cheaper in that sense, especially if the latter is already offered overseas.

Drew
    Host
    In a bizzarre way, that makes sense.

-juice
    Anyone see Dateline last night? They showed the IIHS bumper test videos. It was wild - the RAV4's rear glass shattered in two different tests! Over $8000 in damange in four low speed bumps, much worse than even the old one.

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/low_speed.htm

They tested an Escape and it did fairly well, with an average of $485 damage per test. The Forester was tested a while ago and also did OK, with $573 in damage per incident.

The Santa Fe did not fare well. $1287 average damage, more than double the Forester.

Given they market these as sturdy vehicles, they should be able to take a little more punishment than a measly 5mph bump. The New Beetle suffered only $50 damage on average in the same tests.

-juice
    I hit an oak tree at 20mph with the '76 Monaco wagon. It broke the plastic trim off (not completely off) of the front bumper. It took about 7 cents worth of Krazy glue to put back to normal.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!
    LOL!

It's good to have duct tape handy at all times, too!

-juice
    Not sure how the IIHS 5mph crash test work. I have seen a lots of people parking here in San Francisco hitting each other bumpers about 5mph or so. Still no damage to the car. Last time I went to eat at KFC and the lady with the Cadillac parking behind my Santa Fe hitting my bumper and I saw it in front of my eyes with the car shaking but nothing was happen. At that time I don't have the rear bumper protector and convinced to buy the rear bumper which I have it install now.

If the car just hit the bumper and the cost replacement should not be reach over $1000 plus because replacement the bumper was not that expensive. Unless they hit the grill, light, etc. not the bumper. "Therefore, I am not sure how this test was done and what do they crash into"?

Here is the average damage on the IIHS reports check out your car!
    X5=$591, Blazer=$1143, Durango=$1522, Explorer=$1457, Passport=$1321, Trooper=$2781, Cherokee=$1445, Discovery=$1394, RX300=$877, M class=$816, Montero=$2290, Pathfinder=$2238, Xterra=$2037, Escape/Tribute=$485, Santa Fe=$1287, Amigo=$1390, Wrangler=$714, Sportage=$1900, Forester=$573, Vitara=$1411, and RAV4=$2003.

They money was the issued to me because it is all depend where you buy the parts and labor charge. Most of the latest model does not have the real price on the parts anyway and where to they calculated from? Sample: The options on the Santa Fe: If I would bought the the cargo organizers, rear deflectors, etc. from the dealers here in California would cost me 3-4 times more than if I would bought is at www.tischerhyundai.com. My friend auto shop would do just a light tune-up for the Mercedes, Lexus, and BMW for the price of 3 to 4 times less than other auto shop too.

My car have the front and rear bumper protector and don't know how is that work with this test? What's your opinion? I betta you with just 5mph nothing will happen.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    re hung #285

I question whether those people you saw parking in SF and bumping into your SF were going 5 mph, or even 5 kmh. Maybe they were going 2 mph. Then again, maybe people park faster in San Francisco, before the space is gone.

Seriously, a strong walking pace is 5mph. It would lead to a hefty hit, one car to another car.

ejp
    When I drive 5mph is look like about the fast past parking. So therefore is look like the 5mph parking speed to me. However, That is not the main issued I am bring up here.

The parts of each vehicles cost are different. The bigger the part the more cost. Most of these SUV have paint job and labor for the bumpers. I don't think the Escape really need paint job on the bumper. They come with the same color type without the need of color paint job. Most of the car does and that's why it show it own beauty. You pay for your own insurance and it is really your choice to pick the place to fix it. Some place are expensive and some are cheap. I have change the bumper on my Celica before and I can do that my own. paid the bumper and a paint job. It is not that difficult for me but some car are harder than other and that's why labor involve with the money. You will see tremendouse price involve on big car than small car because more paint more labor. Bigger mean add more people to do....Beside I try to order some paint for my Santa Fe now because I want to paint the mud guards but the paint was ready to sell yet.. So sometime the Insurance data just do estimate only. I call a few insurance places when I first bought the Santa Fe and they don't even have information on the Santa Fe to quote me for the insurance price. They give me a rough estimated price which it is so expensive. Finally I got to Allstate (big company) and they said just recently have few information and they can give me an estimated and the price was good compare to the RAV4 and I end up buying it. "Where does they get this price data and most of them are estimated".

Regardless of what! Most SUV do not have the aftermarket front and rear bumper protector. With just about $600 more add to my "Top of Line" Santa Fe is still cheaper compare to most of it competitors SUV. It makes the car nicer too.. I betta you that with this front and rear bumper protector on my Santa Fe can do much, much, much, better on this type of test..
    I'm curious, what does that bumper protector look like? Do you have a photo of it?

Subaru sells, as accessories, rubber strips for the corners of the bumpers. Few people have them, though.

-juice
    Yow! Some of those repair figures are way up there. In many cases, the repair costs are much higher if the vehicle has an externally mounted spare tire (wonder why the Wrangler's wasn't higher?). This is because the IIHS runs each vehicle into the equivalent of a telephone pole (which pushes the spare into the back end/window). This test is much harsher than what most people think of when they hear "5mph bumper basher". It's really a worst-case scenario in terms of damage caused. In a typical parking lot scenario, two vehicles hitting head on at 5mph would each absorb approx 50% of the collision thereby reducing significantly the damaged caused to each. In addition, the impact would be spread over a much larger area versus the IIHS's immobile vertical pole impacting a small portion of the bumper/rear end. Even in a broadside impact scenario, the vehicle being hit will absorb a good portion of the impact.

I can't imagine a bumper protector helping any in a 5mph collision. The only ones I've seen are solely intended to prevent scratches to the paint from objects rubbing against the bumper.

-Frank P.
    The outside mounted spare hurt the RAV4's results, big time. The only thing more scary than the repair bills was to see the rear glass shatter so close to wear a child seat would be, and that was in BOTH rear bumper tests.

I'd seriously consider a nudge bar or something back there.

-juice
    what it will cost your insurance company to repair your vehicle. This will factor into what your insurance bills will be. Hung0820, painted or unpainted is irellevant, The cost is what it would be to put your vehicle to pre-accident condition and the fact is it will cost more to repair the Hyundai than it would for the Escape or Forester.
    You still don't get it! The cost was base on their market estimate only. They don't really know the really price on the Santa Fe product yet! When I first got my Santa Fe most of the Insurance Co. does not even have data or information to quote me the price and they are giving me an estimate price which it is nearly twice the price when I got the quote on Allstate Insurance.
    Here are just a few sample of the Santa Fe Guards. Yes! There are even more....

Hyundai repair costs, both parts and labor times are available through Mitchells manuals which are readily available to insurance companies and auto repair facilities. The info used by Mitchells is provided by the manufacturer, not estimated. The reason that you have Insurance companies with innacurate rate info is that they do not have claims histories on that vehicle, which is another factor in estimating insurance premiums. Not all accidents are 5 mph so they need history to find out claims costs, which can also include injuries along with vehicle repair costs.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The Dodge Ram's overall repair cost would have been even higher ... except that, in part because of the Institute tests, the manufacturer dropped the price of the rear bumper assembly....

link

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    One caution to installing Brush Bars on vehicles with air bags, make sure the manufacturer has certified that the Brush Bars are SRS compatible. Aftermarket manufacturers are not required to test for SRS compatibility, though some do.
    Full Grill change at radiator $133.78. The front bumper is $199.20 and the rear bumper is $181.70 if I bought it at "RETAIL" price. "Including the matching paint on the Santa Fe". What are the other damage stuff on the 5mph test on the Santa Fe. Can someone tell me so that I can add the price as well? Can someone post the part price on their car here like I do and compare?

Let's see what manufacture parts cost more.....
    Here is the sample information on the car running 15-20mph hitting behind the Santa Fe. I hardly can see any damage!!!
    1. www.z29.com/2001santafe/crash.html

2. www.photos.yahoo.com

***I am very concern about this kind of test data since I can prove the parts price and consumer accident*** I am going to write this situation to Hyundai-motor and have them check it....
    Rear Bumper cover 175.81 1.8 hrs labor
    Part needs to be painted to match, does not come painted
    Rear impact absorber 72.57
    Rear Reinforcement Bar 181.68
    Additional labor to paint parts is 2.4 hrs
    These parts would all need to be replaced in a 5 MPH rear impact, could run to more if rear floor structure buckles. Body damage is often more than visible items.
    No manufacturer sells pre-painted body panels, it would be insane to stock 7 or 8 different colors of every body piece.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    You may not "be able to see hardly any damage", however, what is on the surface does not always tell the story. I was hit in a 1972 Subaru Sedan about 10 years ago. The other driver was traveling at about 30 mph and clipped the left rear bumper on my car before driving off (hit and run). From the initial inspection, there was a scuff of paint on the bumper and a small dent. After getting the vehicle up on a rack and really inspecting the damage, the rear structure of the car was slightly bent to the side opposite the impact. The actual damage was several hundred dollars to bring the vehicle back to "new" condition. Being that it was an old beater car and the vehicle was still safe to drive, I opted not to have the damage repaired . . . but upon initial inspection I would have figured a $25 touch-up to fix and it was a lot more money.