Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki XL-7

Comments

• offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    The radios are made by Clarion and models PS 2375, PS 2376 and PS 2377 are used by Suzuki. The different numbers relate to the AM and FM Frequency Ranges

From the handbook looks if you can get a 6 CD changer as it has the capability to hook up to one. Need to check some of the car audio sites to see compatible models.
  • adomenicadomenic Member Posts: 8
    so do all the models allow the changer hookup, and how do i know which model my vehicle has, The manual I have does not tell me anything about the radio. Also do you know of any good websites to use.

thanks
    There is a separate manual on the radios.The models all seem to be the same in terms of operation, and as mentioned the only difference is in the AM and FM band with which appear to be insignificant. There maybe a cross over number from the ones I mentioned with Clarion to see if you can get a 6 CD changer or speak to your Suzuki dealer

If you are looking for an aftermarket go to www.crutchfield.com who is a big seller of auto radios and custom fits.
    Best way to use Ipod to playback is a Belken FM transmitter made especially for the Ipod with digital readout. My son used one the other day and had the transmitter on the top of the dash (this was in a Chevy Venture where the antenna is built into the front windshield).

The reception was excellent and worked best on the lower FM such as 88.3. He had to change it once as we had interference this was on a 250 mile trip from NJ to Boston. I assume you want to play from the Ipod through the radio. I think that the electronics are very much improved. I find the Clarion radio in the XL7 quite good.

If you pull out the ashtray on the XL7 there are two screws which are part of radio plastic surround. You would have to take the radio out to see what is on the back as it would appear impossible to see from underneath. Either you go aftermarket with someone like Crutchfield to see what system meets your needs or compromise

Good luck
    yeah, I do not want to use an FM transmitter since you would have to change the stations at times, plus the quality is not as good
  • jamthompjamthomp Member Posts: 16
    Like other owners of an XL-7, removing the oil filter without getting oil all over the place has been a challenge. I came a cross a new technique during my last oil change that I wanted to pass along. In another month I'll be changing my oil again and report if it worked the same way.

Drain engine oil by removing drain plug. Before re-installing the drain plug or removing the filter, remove the oil filler cap. Cup your hands around the opening where you put fresh oil and blow into it creating some air pressure. I didn't do it for very long, and made sure no one could see me giving mouth to mouth to the car, but when I removed the oil filter, there was barely any oil in it.

The other thing that I do when I remove the oil filter is take a couple of plastic grocery bags with a rag in it and put the bag as best I can around the oil filter. Then when I remove the oil filter, a good amount of the excess oil makes it way into the plastic bag and is absorbed by the rag.

Good luck.
  • jamthompjamthomp Member Posts: 16
    I searched this discussion and did come up with any hits. In case you weren't aware, the maintenance schedule along with instructions on how to perform maintenance is available
    from www.suzukipitstop.com

From the home page of the web site, look for the box in the lower right hand corner that is labeled 'featured links' Then select the SERVICE / MAINTENANCE SCHEDULES link. Mozilla Firefox didn't work when I tried it and I had to use internet explorer. ymmv
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    I gave up and let the dealer do it. Just to much of a mess.
    Thanks you useful tip on the bags and rag trick. I had found that if you release the oil filter a little way it releases pressure and the oil siphons out the filter as I noticed the volume coming out of the drain plug increases, but no all of it.

If it was not for the steering rod it would be dead easy.
  • parideparide Member Posts: 52
    This past weekend, I performed the first oil change on my 2005 XL-7. Compared to my 2002 XL-7 (on which I had performed 10+ oil changes), Suzuki has made some significant changes for access to the oil filter. First, air conditioner lines are now located in the area of the engine compartment where I used to be able to remove the oil filter, effectively preventing you from taking the oil filter off from the top of the engine compartment. The space is so limited that I could not reach the oil filter with my hand or get a cap and ratchet on it. I then looked underneath and found that Suzuki has added a plastic skid plate to the bottom of the engine compartment. To see anything, you have to jack up the truck or put it on ramps. My fear was that the skid plate had to be removed to change the oil. Once the truck was jacked up however, I found 1) that there was an opening in the skid plate which provides access to the oil drain plug and 2) there is now a descent sized opening that provides fairly good access to the oil filter. I drained the oil and proceeded to remove the filter. Unlike my 2002, I had very little spillage from the filter because most of the oil in the filter seemed to have drained into the pan when I first drained the system. Overall, the changes Suzuki made on the 2005 (aside from now having to jack up the truck) make it much easier and cleaner to change the oil and filter.
  • wingman3wingman3 Member Posts: 13
    Time for a new vehicle and I'm considering an 04 or 05 XL 7. What should I look out for. Anything specific I should know about. I thought I remembered reading about some recalls. If I'm not mistaken, shouldn't any recalls be performed before a vehicle is delivered.

Thanks,

Steve
    Per the original message, I'm also wondering about the price. This is an 04 EX limited, program car. It has 15k miles. Is fully loaded with leather heated seats, outside heated mirrors, CD changer, sun roof, and other stuff I can't remember. Dealer is asking $17,999. Does this sound like a good price.

Thanks,

Steve
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I'd try to get this car for closer to $16k. as it is an '04 model with 15k miles on it. Hopefully only the work force drove the car. If it was a loaner car for other customers, I'd be a bit leary as other folks just don't drive loaners or rentals like their own cars. Run this baby by Terry in the Real World Forum for a more accurate valuation. Since this is not a highly sought after auto, you just might have a good shot at it for $16k. And it is a 2 year old model now...almost 3 years now with the '06's starting to appear.
    Keep us posted on how it all went down. But definitely let Terry give you a valuation. He's usually dead on. He was on the new Mazda 3 S we bought this weekend. He valued our '01 Altima dead on, he said $4k. and they offered $4k. He's truly awesome on his prices for trade in's.

The Sandman :sick:
    Thanks. After going back last night and getting inside and driving it, it actually has almost 22k on it. It was a program car driven by a Suzuki rep. It's in good shape otherwise and was pretty much what people on this forum had described the vehicle to be. We haven't talked price yet (other than what was on the window) so we'll see what happens. Not sure this is the direction I want to go, but it isn't a bad vehicle.

Steve
  • cochrankcochrank Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 XL-7 and this issue always seems to come up in the beginning of summer. First year I had it (bought in August) the following spring I wanted to use the air conditioner and it wouldn't work. Kept blowing out warm air. Took it to the dealer and the mechanic stated that this is a common issue and pointed me to the fuse in the front blowing out. Drove all the way up there for a fuse. After that worked fine but every spring blown fuse. I now have 54,000 miles on it and again this summer started using the air conditioner and blew a fuse. Only thing different is that it keeps blowing them. Will work for fifteen minutes then it blows it. What is wrong here? Also I seem to have a problem with power losses. I will be driving down the road it is seems just to bog down sometimes. Changed to gas filter and air filter as stated but it just has that lugging sometimes. has anyone else experienced this. Last thing, why is it at night when you slow down (or push in clutch) the lights get dim? Is this normal? Any help would be apprieciated since this is drivining me nuts!!
  • pferraropferraro Member Posts: 2
    It's likely that your a/c condensor fan is freezing up. Its a poor design and exposed to weather. $280 part too. Aftermarket parts are available. Or used.

Can't help you with the loss of power problem.
  • pferraropferraro Member Posts: 2
    I've owned a 2001 Suzuki XL-7 since buying it new.

Likes: great supsension, reasonable reliability, roomy but not too big.

Dislikes: lousy retained value. These things drop value faster than Chrysler products. Dealer isn't exactly my favorite for service. And the tires/wheel package. I HATE the H rated 16 inch tires. Run factory pressure settings and yiu are guaranteed center wear on the tire. These things are over-tired. I'd be a lot happier with a 15in wheel and a 70 series tire. Won't fit because the front rotor/caliper is too big. It's probably over sized too. The a/c condensor fan problem warrents a recall (see other forum posts regarding it chewing through the condensor - ouch).

The resale value being what it is, I don't thing I'll buy another one, at least not new. Maybe used. Maybe.
    My Service Engine Light came on and found that Oxygen Sensor had gone. Only issue is that there are four on the XL7 2 front and rear left and right. has taken nearly two weeks to get one and dealer ordered wrong side. Hopefully it will be in overnight for replacement. Has made an impact on the mpg, but still like this van very much.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "In late 2006, Suzuki will begin selling a sport wagon in the U.S. that's smaller than the Toyota RAV4 and the Honda CR-V."

lSuzuki Plans Entry-Level SUV in U.S. for 2007 (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    Last Thursday I bought a 2004 XL 7 EX. Friday the dealer was supposed to go to the registry and get my plates (Ma.). Got a call that the "title" had been flagged in Boston for some "simple" reason and they would have to wait until Monday. On Monday, I got a call from my salesman stating that there were two Certificates of Origin and they needed the car (being driven on dealer plates) so that the local police could inspect the car VIN. I brought the XL 7 back and "I" had to sign a form giving my permission to have the car's VIN inspected so they could get the Cert. of Origin.

Now I'm suspicious. First they say title, then they say Cert. of Origin. Back when I was selling cars, if you lost the Cert. of Origin, there was unbelievable red tape to get another one.

This is supposed to be a program car that was never "registered" so it should have the original cert. of origin. Not a title. If it was registered, then there should be ONE title. Does anyone know under what circumstances a vehicle may have two titles or two certificates of origin. Hopefully legit reasons. Is there any way I can investigate this myself. I'm planning on calling the registry but don't know how much they could help. Any ideas at all ????

Thanks,

Steve
    To update my own note, I just spoke with the dealership manager. Here's his story. Suzuki leased the vehicle to a Suzuky employee for a year. That employee "registered" the vehicle in Mass and had Mass plates on the car. At the end of the year, he turned it back into Suzuki. As far as Suzuki is concerned, the car was never "sold" so they issued a new Certificate of Origin on the vehicle. (the first one going to the RMV when the vehicle was registered in Ma.) When they went to register the vehicle to me, the registry flagged the deal because there were two Certificates of Origin. I have a feeling we are not done with this yet but supposedly once the police inspect the vehicle, verify the VIN, then it will be all set. I guess we'll see.

Any thoughts regarding this situation are appreciated.

Regards,

Steve
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Well, the explanation sort of makes sense. You may have to fight the same red tape if/when you sell it.

Try the Any Questions for a Car Dealer? discussion. It's probably happened to one of the pros over there.

Steve, Host
    Was it a "real lease" or just a car used by an employee for the year? Salesman and managers get cars to use as part of their employment package but the cars are never "registered" in the true sense of the word.
    5greyhounds, the vehicle was registered in Ma. It had Ma plates on it.

Steve
    Mine seems to be off by quite a bit. After sitting in the parking lot all day yesterday with temps in the high 80's, it read something like 77 degrees. Is there a way to calibrate these or is this normal for the XL 7.

Thanks,

Steve
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    How do you like the truck? Did you get a fair price on it?

The Sandman :)
    Sandman, so far it's great. Glad I made the buy. Ended up getting it for $16,700 with 4 brand new tires, two new remotes, a small ding taken out of the passenger door, and two free oil changes. Looks and runs like new. Very happy with the decision. :)

Steve
    I went to the local Home Depot today to have a spare key made and they didn't have the correct blank out of all the ones they did have. One was close for Suzuki but wouldn't work.

Anyone know what key blank works for the XL 7 locks ???

Thanks,

Steve
  • zukimockzukimock Member Posts: 28
    Hi everyone,

I have a 2004 XL-7, and sometimes when i accelerate, it will make a sparking kinda sound. I think it's the ignition. I could hear it off and on at random. Any ideas what is it or what is causing it? Has anyone else had this issue?
  • samuraisamsamuraisam Member Posts: 7
    Hi All!

While driving my 2004 XL-7 a few days ago I tried to change the CD that was in the factory AM/FM/CD unit. After pressing the eject button the unit made a whirring and clicking noise like it was trying to eject the disc but no disc came out. I've tried several times since then with the same result. In addition to not ejecting the disc the CD player now won't play it either. All the radio functions still work. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how was it dealt with? The car's under warranty but I expect the dealer will try to get off the hook by simply removing the disc and pronouncing the problem solved. Personally I think the unit should be replaced as it will probably happen again otherwise.

Thanks,

Sam :cry:
    See what happens. If he gets it out and after several tries it still works then it may have been a one time only event. It is a machine after all. However, since you have a 04 it should be covered for a few more years and then if it happens again insist they replace it. I found with mine that I have to push the buttons slowly so the cycle I ask for is complete prior to pushing another button. I have a 03 limited and it has been just fine. Good luck.
    It has taken 6 weeks to get this part mainly due to the fact there are four O2 sensors on this car and the dealer could not determine the correct one from the Suzuki work shop manual. Just in case anybody else gets in the same situation they need to be very specific.
    That is good to know that it has 4 OS. Do you know why it has so many? I use to have a honda and it only had one. Also, how much did the sensors themselves cost? Thanks.
    Most cars have one, but for some reason Suziki fitted four on the model left and right front and rear. About $185 each plus labor and resetting the computer. If one goes you can still drive, but the Service Engine Light stays on but will not damage the engine. If you disconnect the battery it will go out for about 24 hours. My mechanic told me not to do that and wait until they reset it with the diagnositc equipment.

I also read that putting in the over the counter fuel injector cleaner can damage them, so I am not going to do that anymore.
    Where did you read that at??? I've always put fuel injector cleaner in all my cars and everything seemed fine. I've bought the cheap ones from Wal-mart. Do you know how it would damage them?
  • kasslekassle Member Posts: 1
    Don't know if I'm too late to help, but I just found this forum. I have a 2003 XL 7 and had the same problem. However, it was my fault. I was using a CD I burned and had put a label on. I ended up using tweezers to pull the CD out of the player. Turns out the label had started to buckle. I stopped putting labels on my CDs (just mark them with a sharpie) and I haven't had a problem since. Don't know if yours might be a similar problem, but thought it might help.
    Have not been on site for a while. When I first got the XL7 it had 38K on it and decided to user the injection cleaner. The whole service engine light sequence, started when I got a new PCV valve from auto store and the light came on. I put the old Suzuki one back and light went off. So I bought a new Suzuki PCV ($30) and installed it, but light came on again.

It was after the diagnostic check we found that the O2 had gone and my mechanic said I should not use cleaners. I will speak to him again on Monday to re confirm the reason and post.
    From what I have read over the past few years all gas has cleaners in them and there is really no need to use after market cleaners unless you use a lower quality or off brand gas.
    Yeah, that is true. All gas has to meet a minimum of cleaners in it, but there are certain brands like Chevron that exceed this minimum. At first I thought this was BS and they just want more money from you, but it is actually better to buy the better brands. ie. My cousin use to fill Arco gas in his Civic and when he got it cleaned internally, it was black inside! His next car was a BMW 325 and he filled Chevron gas in it. When the time came, he had it cleaned internally also and it was really clean! So I think if you use cheap gas, you better use an aftermarket cleaner!
    I agree. You get what you pay for but there is a limit. If you use Exxon, Mobil, Shell, etc you should be fine. It is the off brands that do you in. PHF
    Further on my post re O2 sensor. I spoke to the mechanic this week and he reconfirmed that should not use these additives in the Suzuki as prone to damage the sensors as I have found out.

Seems to be a concencus we stick with a decent brand of gas and should be OK.
    That is definitely good to know. I guess I'll just use the rest of my fuel injector cleaner on my Honda CR-V instead of my XL-7.

If that is true, then what about the cleaning additives in a good brand of gas like Chevron with techron? Wouldn't that hurt the O2 sensor???
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    ALL new cars have 2 OS's per cat converter. v-6's have 2 cat converters.
  • pcabralpcabral Member Posts: 2
    Same problem with tires getting chewed up.I spoke to the dealer and they wouldn't budge on any concessions so I called Suzuki USA and they bought 2 new tires as long as I bought the other two from the dealer. I put on Kellys instead of the crappy Bridgestone duellers and got 65,000 miles out of them.Had them rotated between 5-7k miles.
    I wished more companys did business like Suzuki cause I will buy another product based on the attention to service.
    Hi everyone...!

I love my 2004 Suzuki XL-7 and it runs like a champ. But I only bought the 2WD version because you can only use the 4WD off road only. This is my only complaint about it. Does anyone know why they couldn't make it driveable on pavement also? Is there an advantage to having a 4WD that only works off road?
  • parideparide Member Posts: 52
    You can use the 4wd on pavement that is wet (i.e. rain or snow conditions). The XL-7 is terrific in snow with the 4wd engaged. It's not for off-road only.
    I would like ot know if the stock radio in the 2001 xl-7 has a cd-changer control. A plate on the radio says it does but I am not so sure about that.

please help, i want to add one to it without buying a new radio
    Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if we can upgrade the stock subwoofer under the seat? If so, how much amps do it put out or do I have to upgrade it with an amplifier also?

Also, are there any good Suzuki sites for accessories, performance parts, off-road parts, etc?
  • kc5ytikc5yti Member Posts: 38
    The 4WD with the stock tires is decent in mud, and 13inches of snow was no problem either. However, I usually do not use the 4WD on wet pavement because it tends to bind every so often.

Regards,

Ivan :shades:
  • jrvallejojrvallejo Member Posts: 5
    Hey, Brother, for what I can tell you from my experience on my XL-7 is so far I have on it 102,500 miles had it since brand new; actually one of the very first models that arrived to the U.S. and so far on major repairs I have replaced the clutch and its components around 85,000 miles due to hard driving, also two sets of tires, right now I had to make an appointment to the dealership so they can replace the Timming Belt Tensioners because it started to make a clacking noise on the front of the engine they already give an estimate of around $800.00 ouch!!, Besides that great vehicle!! Hopefully this help you, Later!1
This discussion has been closed.