Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki XL-7

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome to the boards, nava01!

I agree with Ottenstein. At the very least you might insist that they deduct $400 from their price. Afterall, they've been using YOUR car for about 1200 miles and 30 cents is mile is a modest charge.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • dmarzo1dmarzo1 Member Posts: 37
    I am considering the purchase of an XL-7 (have been considering it since August when I first posted a message here:). Is it unreasonable for me to expect to pay invoice AND get the 0% financing deal? Or should I be willing to pay over invoice.

ottenstein (ref #399) I am in Northern Virginia. Any dealers you might recommend?
  • nava01nava01 Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention the important detail that it is an '02 demo with 1100+ miles. I don't think they are going to budge any more. I'll call another dealer about 40 miles away (I'm in Iowa and there aren't that many Suzuki dealers here) and see what they can offer on a new '02. It's pretty likely I am going to be turning to my second choice, an '02 Altima instead. I love that car but it seems stupid to not take advantage of the great financing that is available now. One concern I have about the Suzuki is the low number of dealerships -- is it hard and/or expensive to repair these vehicles due to this?
  • ottensteinottenstein Member Posts: 7
    I'm not sure about Northern Virginia, but check out www.fitzmall.com they have a dealership in Wheaton, Md. which is not too far from Northern, Va. I called them and they verified they would sell the vehicle at invoice (mine is a limited) with 0% financing and no transportation charge. They have a lower than invoice price listed, but that does not allow for the 0% financing. I then went to a closer dealer: Nationwide Suzuki in Ellicott City, Md. and they matched the invoice price with 0% financing and no transportation charge with no hassle. Nationwide was very good to deal with, no high pressure. My salesman was Eric and he was pleasant, informative and suprisingly honest.

Keep in mind 0% financing is scheduled to end 1/2/2002. The dealers seemed to have a large selection on their lots, so they should be willing to deal.

Good Luck,
    Rick
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    You also might want to check out Jerry's Suzuki in Leesburg. That is where I go my limited at invoice plus a $1,500 rebate.
    Well, snow is expected on Thursday so I guess I will have a chance to try my 4wheel drive.
  • imadad1stimadad1st Member Posts: 18
    Just wanted to remind everyone to check your tire pressures if you already haven't. Since winter has finally arrived (took a while up here in WI -- bet you that folks in my home town near Buffalo aren't too happy right now), remember that tires loose about 1 psi for every 10 degrees.

Mine were down about 4 psi before I remembered.
  • clay11clay11 Member Posts: 17
    Interesting observation wilsont79. I have also noticed a slight roll to the left when the vehicle is slow coasting or I ease my hand off the wheel. No noticeable pull while driving, so I have never mentioned it to the dealer or worried too much about it. Am now curious if others have noticed this?

PS: No...I am not recommending taking your hands off the wheel next time you are driving your XL-7. Be smart and safe out there. :-)
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    With my Trooper, pulls to the left if I take my hand off, ever so slightly. I may be due for an alignment though.

-mike
  • tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    Well, we got our first big snow here in SE Virginia (sorry 5greyhounds, DC got nada). We got about 10", which for us is a major dump. We usually get a few snows of a couple inches each year, but not so much at one time.
    We took the XL-7 out for a test. At that time we had about 6" and it was somewhat wet and slushy. The 4wd worked great. The wife said it felt like a tank. She then had to go on into work and drove by herself to work and home. She said it did great the whole time, no sliding, no slipping. It stopped very well.
    We got about 4" more last night and this morning I had to go back to work. I'm glad my Tacoma is 4WD, still about 2-3 inches of packed snow/ice on the secondary roads, but the highways are clearing fast.
    Maybe DC will get something this weekend with another storm forecast.
    Steve, happy to hear it did well. I know you know this but watch out for the idiots that think FWD is just as good and get into trouble. Then you are in trouble if they are around you. I had some idiot last year pass me on the shoulder once while it was snowing and I was moving with the rest of the traffic at about 20 MPH. About a mile later he was in a ditch. I guess we were lucky he did not take anyone with him.
    How were the original equipment tires? They do not look really aggressive to me but they must do the job.
    Remember 4wd DRIVE doesn't = 4wd STOP. Basically when you are braking or trying to stop, you are in no better shape than with a fwd or rwd car.

-mike
    The stock tires did OK for as whimpy as they look. My wife drives very slowly in the snow (as she should) so we didn't do any major tire tests. I think the relatively heavy weight of the XL-7 helps keep it on the road pretty good.

I find I stop a lot better in 4wd on slick surfaces by downshifting. In my Tacoma, I can almost come to a complete stop without touching the brakes by gradually downshifting (it's a manual). When I do this I usually lightly apply the brake so the brake lights come on so the folks behind me know I'm stopping.

In the XL-7 I had her turn off the overdrive so she could use the engine to slow down some before applying the brakes. You can even downshift an automatic if you're easy about it and don't shift down while going too fast.

Folks down here did real well with this storm. Usually there are so many accidents you can't get anywhere. But this snow came overnight at first and almost everything was closed Thursday, that kept a lot of people off the roads. Everyone was heeding the warnings and driving very slow and safely. Also the road crews were very prepared for this one and kept the salt and sand going down the whole time.
    Looks like we might see another one on Monday!
    Spent a week in Edmonton, Alberta prior to Xmas, driving from Vancouver. Conditions across the mountain passes in some sections were unusually bad - heavy, heavy ice and combinations of freezing rain, black ice, heavy snow and blizzard conditions. Having lived on the Canadian prairies for several winters, I had a Subaru on-demand 4wd for years until getting the XL-7. The XL-7 handled the conditions extremely well and, when in 4X4 mode, really felt secure. Much more so than my old and commendable Subaru. On the other hand, the tires are awful - something confirmed by my dealer service manager who suggested it would be wise to replace them. While the 4wd mode offers confidence, the tires do not (in 2 or 4 wheel mode). Like you, I know that ice cares little about drive trains and we also witnessed numerous idiots in 2 & 4 wheel mode driving like they were immune...yet later waiting for tow trucks! Would thoroughly recommend it as a heavy winter vehicle. Heater was solid, ride was firm and the block heater worked well. If living in a true winter climate, would recommend going for the limited model with the heated mirrors. Scraping is a pain in the butt.
  • bunoybunoy Member Posts: 7
    Just purchased a limited XL7.
    For the 2 days that I have been driving it, everything is great. Power could be a bit more, but its ok for me. One concern I have is when shifting from R to D. When I do this quickly without stopping for a slight second at N, the car kicks forward a bit. When I stop at N slightly and then go to D, there is hardly any feel to the shift. Is this normal or am I just paranoid? My other car has no feel when I shift. When idling, its pretty quiet. Handling is good. Breaking is not that great. Acceleration is not that great. Have not tried out the 4wd yet. Overall impression of this car is like most on this board. Its very good value for the money. They could have made it better, but then probably have to charge more for it. Cheap plastic on the doors. The fake wood looks kinda out of place, being that there is no other fake wood anywhere else. Also the 2nd and 3rd row seats are kinda hard to adjust. This is my first Suzuki and I hope that it will be reliable.
    Congratulations on your new purchase. About the shifting, I've noticed the transmission doesn't like to be rushed from R to D. Usually when we do this it's as we are backing out of our driveway. Usually we've just started the truck and it hasn't warmed up yet. I think the idle being a bit high during warm up is causing the jump when you go from reverse to drive to quickly. I think you just have to give it a second to adjust before engaging drive. Also, if you're still rolling backward while you shift into drive, that will put a lot of stress on the transmission and cause a rough, jerky engagement.
    Good luck and enjoy your buggy!
  • bunoybunoy Member Posts: 7
    Yes. I noticed that too. In the morning it will shift kinda hard. Later on in the day, when i shift slowly from R to N to D..it is barely noticeable. The manual said to wait about a minute or so untill the temp needle hit the C before driving. This morning i waited a minute and the needle barely moved towards the C. So i drove off. Overall so far I am very satisfied with the truck and would recommend it. Anyone know if there is a cargo cover available for the XL7?
    One of the fastest ways to destroy your transmission is to rush the shift from one direction to the other (reverse to drive or the opposite). I have never had a problem with any automatic, even the notorious 95 Windstar--had 135k when it was totaled by a red light runner. The transmission is a machine that has to have time to change gears. If you are in reverse and drop it into drive while still going backwards it puts a great amount of stress on the gears. It is like any machine: treat it with some kindness and it will last a long, long time.
  • jamthompjamthomp Member Posts: 16
    Maybe this is common knowledge and in the manual, but has anyone noticed that before you start driving, if you apply the handbrake the automatic headlights turn off? Then once you start moving the handbrake does not have this same effect.
    I assume you release the hand break prior to moving. Yes, I have noticed it and it is a cut off switch to the lights. I have not driven with the hand break on so I can not answer that part of the question. When the truck is in my garage and I start it the hand break is on. I lower the break and they come on. I guess the company figured that with the hand break on you would not be driving the truck. Also, there are times when you are waiting for someone and have the engine on with the break up and this keeps the lights off.
    All 2002 or 2003 MY vehicles require DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) I think a few manufacturers use the handbrake to activate them.

-mike
    Speaking of the hand brake, or emergency brake as some call it. Have you all noticed that this is not the old style brake where there is simply a wire cable that runs to one of the rear brakes and operates it manually?
    This one engages very sharply and abruptly via some mechanical means. Sometimes when I back a vehicle out of my garage, I just gently pull up on the e-brake while rolling back and then park it there. With this one, it engages with a BAM and stops very hard. I wonder what would happen if you engaged it while traveling at speed, I think it would lock up the rear wheels.
    I seem to remember on the Trooper board some discussion about the same type of set-up, Paisan, what do you know about these systems? I don't like it.
  • louxl7louxl7 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my XL7 for about 7 months now. Mostly a good little vehicle. However I do NOT like it's automatic headlights. Yes, the parking brake will turn off the daytime running lights, but it does NOT turn off the auto on headlights. If it is the least bit dark out once the car is started about two minutes later the headlights will come on, and it doesn't matter if the hand brake is on or off. This feature will make this car less desireable when I have to jump start my plow truck or tractor, as will happen a couple of times this winter. As far as the XL7 in snow, we got about 16-18 inches last week and it did very good. However I also have studded snows all the way around on here. They are 225/70-16's, I wish that I had gone with 215/70-16's these just barely touch the inner fender wells on full lock turns when starting up a hill. A Blazer with unstudded snows spun out on my driveway a few days after our last storm and the XL7 was able to be stopped on the hill while I checked out his tracks and then start to climb right up the driveway with almost no tire spin. 18,000 miles on her so far, and well pleased mostly, averaging 20.4 mpg
    I'm not sure how they work on the XL7 but from my subaru and isuzu knowledge, on those 2 makes, they all (almost all subies) have 4-wheel disc brakes, whichmeans that they have a different kind of emergency brake/parking brake system. Basically it uses a rear drum on the inside side of the rear discs and essentially has it's own pads for just the E-brake. Traditionally it used the pads for the rear brakes. On my Trooper I can yank it at speed without any kind of banging. Recently I was doing a "brisk" road rally event for SCCA with the trooper in sandy/dirt road conditions, and needed to use the E-brake often when making turns because the ABS would kick in and I couldn't do anythingwell with the ABS on. I've also used the E-brake athighway speeds without adverse effects. I also notice that it works a lot better as a parking brakes than the ones that use theregular pads.

My guess if the XL7 has 4-wheel disc brakes is that it has a similar system, and by yanking on it, you are locking them up easily because the pads are rarely used, and grab quite well. These pads rarely get used (no wear if you only used it as a parking brakes)

-mike
    is there a fuse youcan pull to turn-off the auto headlights?

-mike
    I read an article in the Washington Post auto section a little while back and you can not disconnect the auto light system without making it so the lights will not work at all. I am sure youare aware this is a safety issue. It is a proven fact that cars with DRLs are safer than those without and your insurance reflects that fact.
    Anyway, good luck with the jump starting.
    Lets not start a DRL war here. But as far as I'm concerned it is the operators responsibility to put his lights on when conditions are such that lights are needed for others to see you or you to see them. Too many times I've seen DRLs cause accidents because people drive with only their DRLs on at night "oh I can see perfectly" because DRLs do not activate your tail lights and people can rear-end you due to lack of rear light.

On the subarus the DRLs are easily over riden with a jumper wire. I'm sure the DRLs are just as easily over ridden on the XL7.

Also I think the poster was talking about the automaticly turning on of the lights via a sensor, not DRLs (2 separate issues).

-mike
  • zeke707zeke707 Member Posts: 74
    I never turn on my headlights at night...the automatic light sensor does of course and it also turns on my tail lights so I don't understand the last post?
    There are 2 items being discussed Zeke, 1) DRLs on the XL7, and 2) Automatically turned on headlights/running lights.

-mike
    I'm not a big fan of auto headlights, but I do like DRL's. I think Paisan's concern of someone not using their headlights at night because they have DRL's is not an issue on the XL-7 (because it has the auto headlights), but it is an issue on a vehicle that does not have auto headlights for the reason he mentions (no tail lights w/DRL).

The auto lights are not a big nuisance, but sometimes you don't want the headlights on at night. Like if your tailing someone or running from the law and you don't want them to see you (just kidding). But seriously, we have a holiday light show around here that you drive through. Everyone is asked to only use the running lights so you don't blind the folks in front of you. Well, DRL's are bad enough, but full auto lights make you look like an inconsiderate jerk.

I do wish you could override the auto lights.

Paisan, thanks for the explanation on the e-brake. I might try a careful engagement while driving, but I was afraid of it locking up and creating a dangerous situation.
    Try it on dirt first, that way if you lock it up, the ground will have some give.

-mike
  • zeke707zeke707 Member Posts: 74
    Guess my point was at least with Suzuki, you can't run "with DRL on a night and not have tailights on", i.e., the auto lighting system turns on all lights, front and rear when required. I did not on consider or was aware other mfg's have DRL systems (only?)that can present a situation where you are driving with DRL such as at dusk, then it turns dark and you don't have tail lights (you forgot you needed to turn them on...the vehicle does not have auto sensing system). Been driving our Suzuki for 2 years and never used the light switch.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Jan 15th: Imports vs. Domestics: Is there a quality gap?

Yes, there is a quality gap and the domestics are on the short end of the stick. Is it a big gap? I think so. My XL-7 has not had one problem or recall. You can not say same for US competitors. The Escape has finally settled down and is doing well but the recalls were one of the reasons I purchased the XL-7 (plus it is a little larger). It may not be as fancy as the Escape, but it is better built.
    My mother passed away this December and I now have a 1990 Maxima with only 82K on it. I would drive it while visiting in Tucson and it is more reliable, rides better, and overall it is better and nicer than many of the newer cars put out by the domestic builders.
    I may consider another Ford (I own two: 94 Probe GT with 115K and a 99 Windstar SE that is replacing my 95 GL that had 135K till a man ran a red light and totaled it)in a few years after the "Nasser effect" is gone. He screwed Ford up so bad it will take a decade for Ford to recover.
    Don't forget the probe isn't really an american car, it was a re-badged Mazda MX6, a great pair of cars IMHO.

-mike
    I agree and that is why parts are expensive. However, it runs like a really fast greyhound. I drop about 1K a year in repairs but things ware out after 8 years and 115K. My dealer gives me a good break on the cost of repairs. My wife uses it to go to work and it is really great for merging onto the beltway here in the DC area and she moves and scoots (read heavy foot).
    However, she also like "MY" XL-7. She takes a few of the dogs in it and likes how it does in traffic.
    I see you are in New York. I get up that way on a regular basis--infact I will be up next week.
    Just as an FYI...my wife's 88 Olds has an auto light system that activates front and rears via a sensor - same as XL-7. Credit to Suzuki for safety but the idea is not new. By the way...Canada has had mandatory DRLs for many years and there has been little outcry. Safety first!
    I agree about safety and that is why I can not understand why someone would want to disconnect their DRL. I like the way the Suzuki system works. The one problem with it is if it is still fairly light out but still dark enough to activate the lights the display on the radio goes so dim you can not see it unless you manually brighten it up. For those who do not know you can push in on the radio on/off button and hold it for about three seconds. This will brighten the display. You have to do it every time. If you get out and turn off the truck when you get back in you will have to do it again. It took me about 30 minutes to find this out in the instructions. I was sure it could be done, but the instructions were buried in the radio instructions book.
    < rant > Why not add chips that do not allow vehicles to exceed the posted speed limit? This would vastly improve safety more than any DRLs could ever do, same goes for 100s of other things which are not "automatic" on a car. Why? Because it is the responsibility of the operator to know when he needs to put his lights on, if there is a low-light situation, or a glare situation where he can't be seen. Must we make everything idiot proof, and remove the responsibility from the users? < /rant >

:)

-mike
    ****Details*****

When: Saturday Jan 19
    Where: Pine Barrens (Lebanon State Forest, NJ)
    Meet: Intersection of Rte 70 and 72 near Whiting, NJ
    Time: 10:45-11am
    Who: AWD/4wd Vehicles (no 2wd please)
    What: Off-road Trail Ride through the barrens, will be fun for all, we encourage Subarus, Rav4s, CRVs, Isuzus, Highlanders, 4-runners, Santa Fe, Explorers, etc.

****Details****
    Get a grip guy. It would be nice if people did actually do what they are supposed to do behind the wheel, but they do not. It seems many people lose their perspective when they get in a car. You know the ones I am talking about. Like the one that makes a right hand turn from the left lane--through three other lanes on the DC beltway in the middle of rush hour and does not have the slightest idea that what they are doing is stupid and dangerous. I am not one of those that like government messing with our lives and in fact DRLs are not required in the US and are optional on many cars. It just happens to come standard on the XL-7. DRLs are a small price for a proven safety item.
    I have never seen any stats that definitely prove that DRLs are safer. You will still have the same idiots making turns etc. etc. Fix the driver, not the machine, similar arguement for gun-control.

-mike
    Geez, I feel like I have wandered into Montana (no offence to the wonderful folks in the midwest). DRLs do not dazzle or blind other than ridiculous high-placement driving lights on some Dodges and the high-powered lights on older Explorers. Besides, how many of you have actually driven - even if only for a few minutes - with your headlights off in a well-lit city area without knowing it at least once in your life? C'mon...truthfully own up. I know, we Canucks are just too darn nice and live in our own little world to understand the "real" pressures of motoring. Bottom line - the XL-7 is still solid machine even if the lights are idiot-proof.
  • isellpotiacisellpotiac Member Posts: 122
    according to Suzuki you can turn off the DRL by pulling a plug under the dash. I will do my best to explain which plug it is. If you stick your head under the dash on the drivers side you can see where the steering column passes thru the firewall. Towards the center of the vehicle side of the steering column there is a plug that is about 3 times the size of a phone cord plug, unplug this and you no longer have DRL. For the auto light system gently lift DRL sensor on dash(black circle on passenger side dash near window) Once the sensor and plug are pulled out of the hole, disconnect the plug, DO NOT LET IT FALL BACK IN THE HOLE! To prevent this tie a string around the plug and tape string end to sensor and replace sensor into hole. I apologize if this has been covered, if not I hope this helps. Also have had complaints about intermittent a/c and fog lamp cut out. Make sure the ground wire for your A/c is secured properly. Been selling suzuki for 3 years and they make a good customer(few complaints)
    Thanks for the heads up onthe DRL disconnect :)

-mike
    Thanks for the tips on disconnecting the lights. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis, but it's nice to know it can be done fairly easily if you need it.
  • nikepetenikepete Member Posts: 2
    I brought my XL-7 to Walmart for an oil change and they declined to service the car: no oil filter in their database for this model. Some other outlets also refused because of the same problem. Anyone experienced the same and where do you take your car for a regular service. I'm in Northern California. Thanks.
  • xl7xl7 Member Posts: 20
    Any recommendation on tires for the XL-7.

I'm beginning to notice more road noise, apparently from the tires. They were rotated twice with a slight wear. At aprox 18,000 miles I hear this sound simular to when you are in 4h.

A few days ago here in Va. we had a small snow. It was the first test for the 4wheel drive gear.

It tracked very well; however caution was used on icy surfaces; a few spins,slides,etc.

This xl-7 rides smooth and normally is very quiet reguarding road noise. I don't know what effect the cold weather may have on the tires but there is noticeably more road noise. I'm almost certain that its the tires;however I may be wrong. The noise seems to decrease with higher speeds,sort of like you are riding on a unpaved surface.

I've checked to make certain that its in 2h,etc.
    If anyone has experienced simular road noise, I certainly appreciate your input.

Thanks.....and safe motoring!
    I have a vibe on my Trooper now that it is cold, until the tires warm up. Also I notice more road noise due to kicking up of the salt and sand on the road.

I reccomend the Pirelli Scorpion ATs That is what I upgraded my Bridstone Dueller 684s for on my truck. They are slightly louder but provide more traction on and off road.

-mike
  • xl7xl7 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks Mike!

In the past I have had great service with Pirelli products. They seem to last forever.

I don't do much off-road. My travel is mostly open road I-95 N/S & Va beltway. Occasional Va.
    Shenandoah mountains and across W.Va. thru Ohio,mostly turnpikes, and interstates.

I really enjoy the quieter, smooth ride. The sound of truck tires is very annoying to me. I do realize that I have a truck frame; however my 18,000 miles with the bridgestone dueller tires has been good...but not great. Purchased March 22,2001.

Realizing that I don't have a vehicle with more weight,wider frame,and heavier suspension...I find the XL7 a better riding vehicle than imagined.

Hopefully I can add a few quality products to obtain the quiet,smooth ride.

Again, thanks and if you have any advice I certainly welcome it. This is my first 4 wheel drive vehicle. Hopefully, I'm not expecting miracles from this small Truck/suv/cycletruck,
    mini limo. However, its fun to drive.

Safe Motoring!
This discussion has been closed.