Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki XL-7

Comments

• 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    On Saturday I am having an after market reverse sensor system installed on my 90 Maxima. I know, this is the XL-7 board but I also have a 2001 limited. I want to see how it looks and works on the Maxima and if it is ok I will put it on the XL-7 and the Windstar. I will post pictures when it is done.
    well, my wife went and took the car and did not get it back till about 2PM so there is no installation this weekend. She still has not realized she took it when I was going to take it.
  • frankno1frankno1 Member Posts: 68
    The XL7 is rated to pull a 3000# trailer, has anyone pulled this much weight for a distance of 500 miles or greater and how did the XL7 take it??
    Any heat problems etc. etc. etc., thinking about running around Canada next year for about three months and carrying all essential items and camping gear in a small enclosed trailer.

Thanks ahead,
    Frankk
  • jamthompjamthomp Member Posts: 16
    I have a coleman popup camper, 1800 lbs dry weight, figure I have about 400 lbs of gear in when I go camping. Not quite the full 3000lbs. I haven't been on an extended trip, but have done a couple of 150 mile trips. This is in southern arizona, over some pretty good grades. Not a single heating problem encountered.

James
    This thing will just not go slow. On the interstate it just loves 70 to 75 and I just can not keep it slower than that. :-)
  • tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    Our Xl-7 also likes to go 70+ on the freeway, solid as a rock if it's not too windy. I'd probably get speeding tickets if I drove it (wife's truck). My Tacoma starts getting buzzy and loud above 70 and it keeps me in check.

Almost 10,000 miles and not one lick of a problem. I was a bit skeptical when we got it of how reliable it would be, being a first year new model. It's almost boring how reliable it is, which is certainly not a problem.

My wife really likes it more and more. She especially likes the higher seating position, giving her a better view of the traffic ahead.

I really appreciate that it is a real truck, not some civic or corolla made up to look like a truck. We might even think about buying it when the lease is up if it continues to be as good as it is now. The payoff at lease end is only about $9,500.

Happy Zukin!
  • ronlt2ronlt2 Member Posts: 9
    Have been looking and reading since September, finally got on line here. I bought mine in Oct.(201 XL) and it had 10,000 on it, it now has 31,000. The only problem is that the drivers door latch and it's 3 screws came loose, still getting 20/22 mpg. The best was 24.5 w/a tailwind. I have ordered a lift kit through Les Scwab (best price I found)and it is back ordered, 2.5 in and w/tires it will be about4/5 in. This is the only way to get bigger tires to fit due to the suspention and the way the body "rolls".
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    What kind of lift kit is it? Is it a body-lift or a suspension lift? If it's a body lift that helps with getting bigger tires on, a suspension lift unless it limits wheel travel, will not gain you any room for tires.

-mike
    It's a Calimi? the only one I can find check ZUKI.com. I can get it for there selling price of 895.00 and it only takes 1/2 a day for Les Scwab to install. With tires it will be about 16/1700.00. The suzuki dealer wanted 1100.00 for the same kit and then labor, all would cost me about 2500.00 plus at suzuki. The suzuki dealer has an XL7 with the lift kit on their lot, looks pretty good. They (LS)said this is not going to affect the handling either, it will still be just as good.
    I believe the Calmini lift is a suspension lift. I'd love to see some pictures of it after it's done, especially with larger tires. It's on our wish list, but not likely to happen anytime soon.

Let us know how it goes.
  • luonghluongh Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone has any news on the 2003 model, picture, spec, anything. Thanks
  • brucel1brucel1 Member Posts: 8
    Hi Linda:

Today I brought my vehicle in. The rack and pinion noise was heard by the service advisor and by the technician. They tried moving the steering wheel on another XL-7 and found the same looseness and clicking noise. I still also have the vibrations from my steering wheel at high speeds. I will probably bring my vehicle to another dealer in a few weeks to see what they say. As far as the speedometer is concerned, they are ordering a new speedometer.
    I have been really listening to mine and I do not hear any noise (01 limited). Was any reason for it given and do they (service managers) think it may be an issue across the board? Still runs well and tight as can be.
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    much more solid feel than the dakota ever was.
  • brucel1brucel1 Member Posts: 8
    This morning I brought the XL-7 in for the same rack and pinion looseness. With the engine off and the key in the on position, the service advisor turned the steering wheel left and right. There was a definite loose clicking noise from the rack and pinion area. The noise is hardly noticeable from the driver's seat but is quite loud from underneath the front portion of the vehicle. It's definitely from the rack and pinion. We then went over to a brand new 02 XL-7 and performed the same test. It to has the same clicking noise from the rack and pinion!!! We then went over to a third XL-7 and again found the same clicking noise from the rack and pinion. Since the noise seems to be in all of the vehicles, I will accept it as normal. I guess I just never noticed it until recently. Can some of you please try to turn your steering wheel back and forth with the engine off and the steering unlocked and let me know your results? Thanks.
  • tmdaman1tmdaman1 Member Posts: 9
    Hello all...
    I plan on installing an autodimming/compass/temp rearview mirror (GENTEX mirror) in my XL-7, BUT it looks like I need to tap into my ignition and backup lamp wires. Can anybody tell me where to tap into the ignition and backup lamp? What are the color codes for the wires?

Thanks,
    T
  • mcampbell528mcampbell528 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 01 Touring in August of last year, and have loved it. Thanks to all of you last summer, I read the posts and went shopping. As a single mom of 2 kids and 2 dogs, the little "cute-utes" did nothing for me. And I was not spending $40000 for something for my kids to eat in and the dogs to slime. This has been great!
    After wanting a SUV for years, I got this one, and love it.
    When the girls go out for an evening, I have to drive, since there are 6, and I would not want to go for a cross country trip, but around the town for the evening is fine. I have made several trips of 4 hours or more to go skiing, or a long weekend with no problems at all.
    I did take Greyhounds advice and use synthetic oil, and I am going to up the tire pressure. Wind is a factor right now, but frankly, I expect it to be in a higher profile vehicle. My dealership was great, and got in on the 1.9 financing back then. (was honked when it went to 0 after September 11.)
    I will keep reading, and keep you posted on any problems. Seems I am one of the higher mileage drivers. I have a mix of driving, in town, long trips and found this fits perfectly!
    4 door Vitara for XL7....someday...... Ineed to pay down on this one first.

But boy she is a hamster and runs like a whipped horse.....!
  • zeke707zeke707 Member Posts: 74
    For those who own the Vitara/Tracker 1999 to present with 2.0L engine and air conditioning, please read the recent posts under the Suzuki Owners Club concerning condenser damage. Is this a design problem? Do you see similar damage to your condenser?
    I just turned over 33,000 and the only problem was the AC went out 500 miles ago, it was the switch in the AC. I am in the process of getting the Calimi lift/suspension kit as soon as it comes in (should be this next week and I'll let you know how I like it). Other than the AC it's the only big problem I've had. I don't baby my vehicles so if it can take me it's got to be tough. Small problems, drivers door latch loose, rear washer out of alignment, front oil seal leaked (changed under warrenty-due to partial silicone of one side oil seal). I would like to find a GOOD class three hitch and then it will be as perfect as I can think of right now.

Later Ron
    No, to be honest, I don't. I just came out of the garage after a thorough check and there are not bent fins other than a stray one here or there that might have happened during assembly plant operations.
    It's amazing...I'm still trying to figure out how the condenser fins got damage on our Vitara. I ahve seen 2 other posts indicating they had bent fins although I can't say it's the same problem as I see. I just washed our vehicle and the front end looks perfect. The bent fins/damage to the horizontal lines on the condenser looks like something pushed against the fins. The fan and structures in front of the condenser look perfect. I would expect if the fan hit the condenser,I would see marks attributed to the rubbing and direction of the blade rotation but I don't. I would feel better if I knew what happened. Any ideas?
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    Is it possible that someone...while doing the routine maintenance...{oil, lube, etc.}....bent the fins and did not tell you?????...or do you do your own maintenance?//{Jiffy Lube, Qick Lube????}
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Member Posts: 61
    Chuck, I have a '99 Tracker and have never had a problem with the A/C. However, after reading your posts, I inspected my condenser and found exactly what you described. It is difficult to see without holding a light at the right angle, but there is a definite circular pattern of bent fins. I plan to pull the fan shroud off on the 4th of July to get a better look. My guess is that the fan blades rub the condenser fins when the fan is free-spinning at freeway speeds. That is when the blades may be bent back toward the condenser. When the fan is powered on, the blades should bend forward like the props on an airplane. This looks like it may become a recall issue if it can be demonstrated that any damage may be safety or pollution related. I suggest all you Tracker, Vitara, GV, and GV XL-7 owners take real close looks at your A/C condensers.
    I do my own maintenance, oil changes, etc. This vehicle is babied. Somehow the condenser fins were bent. I'm curious as to how. I have owned vehicles since 1962 and never have experienced such an event. I continue to believe that if all 1999 to 2002 Tracker/Vitara 2.0L with A/C owners inspect their vehicles closely, many/most will see similar damage based on driving time at highway speeds with the A/C in use.
    For those of you who are not aware Motor Trend is doing a long term test of the XL-7 and the latest report is in the current issue. THEY LOVE IT!!. Actually they have called it "The suburban of Small SUVs". So far no repairs and the overall report is that it is a great value for the money.
    Lets hear it for our hamsters!
    I do not have the smallest idea what edmunds was doing when they cam up with this new search procedures. However, the 2001 is still running like a clock. In fact, it is doing better than an old wall clock I have.
  • bwazbwaz Member Posts: 1
    Hi all...

I found some articles on this board that talked a little about what
    CD changer could be added to the XL-7 other than the one from Suzuki.

I'm not sure if anyone officially reported getting one to work and
    if so, what model it was.

Just for the record I bought the Clarion DCZ625 6-CD changer and it
    works with the FACTORY head unit in my brand spanking new 2002 XL-
    7. I only payed $130 for the Clarion vs $399 for, presumably, the
    same player with the word Suzuki on it.

I also threw in 4 Sony 3-Way 6.5" speakers for the doors. Perfect
    fit but a little weak on bass, BUT only 50.00 per pair.

I had Best Buy do the install, eventhough I bought the stuff
    elsewhere.

The audio stuff was in addition to the full wood dash (loads of
    fun), tail pipe extension (no where near as "Fast and the Furious"
    as I feared), vert cargo net (first time ever drilling into any car).

I am offically an accessory freak...and this is the wife's car.
    (officially)

Mean little truck...love it so far.

See ya...
    I purchased a simulated aluminum dash board applique for my XL-7 and it looks really good. It fits like a glove and looks almost like original equipment. It took about 2 hours to do and was not really that hard. I purchased it from AutoDash.com.
    I thought maybe they deleted this discussion, couldn't find it at all last week, I guess it's back. I don't care for this new format either, too much preselected categories to have to look through.

10,000 miles and still not a single problem, we love our XL-7!
  • xl7xl7 Member Posts: 20
    27000 + miles 2001 XL-7 Touring Model.

Experienced a failure with the remote that locks and unlocks the doors. Replacing the battery (3V) did not cure the problem. However, the 2nd remote worked fine. Two were issued when the vehicle was purchased.

The dealer advised that the entire remote unit must be replaced in order for two keyless remotes to work. It requires 1 to 2 hrs to replace.

Not bad......27+ miles and the first minor problem.

It was explained, for security reasons remotes must be programed to matching units only by authorized suzuki service centers.
  • venanzikvenanzik Member Posts: 72
    i have a few questions on the xl7. Can the xl7 be driven in 4wd on alternating road surfaces such as snow to dry roads? I ask because most of the time the main roads are plowed but the back roads remain covered in snow and switching in and out of 4wd for a few streets seems like a hassle (my current jeep grand cherokee can stay in 4wd all the time if needed, there is full time and part time choices) also, what vehicles did the owners of new xl7's come from? I am thinking of selling my 97 JGCherokee for an xl7 but feel i may be taking a step back in features and size. The jeep is definitly wider. Has width been a concern with anyone? or has everyone stepped "up" to this vehicle from a smaller vehicle? well enough rambling thanks for your help and thoughts.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    It is only a part-time system.

You might want to look at the 2002 Trooper. It has a system that can be engaged full-time and is selling for around $26K loaded right now.

-mike
  • frankno1frankno1 Member Posts: 68
    I own a Vitara 4dr and and XL7 both 2002 and noticed riding on the drivers seat of XL7 seat it appeared to be narrower than the drivers seat in the Vitara. I couldn't believe this so I had to measure both drivers seats. Guess what the bottom of the seat where your derriere sits on the Vitara is an 1 1/2" wider than the XL7. The XL7 is an automatic and the Vitara is a 5 speed manual, maybe thats the differenc.
    Cheers,
    Frankk
  • dadat39dadat39 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings XL-7 fans. Drove by our local Suzuki dealer and checked them out. Sunday, smallish town, so no salesmen to worry over. Currently we have an 89 Grand Caravan and a 92 Subaru Loyal. With 4 kids between 12 and 2 1/2, we need a van or wagon that will seat 6 comfortably, and be able to take the occasional camping trip for a weekend and the even less infrequent trip to northern Wisconsin which is about 14 hours if you drive through.
    I like the under bench storage feature and the rack seems to be able to handle gear, but 1) is the maintenance as easy as 5greyhounds wants us to believe, 2)would the 4wd be worth my while in the touring, 3)can I expect my dealer to be willing to deal at end of model year now without any trade-in from me, or is the XL-7 "in a class alone" and the price is the price. I know edmunds says 22,400 +/- in my area but...
    Thanks in advance. Hope to test one this week, without the kids and will keep you posted.
    John
    PS; I almost forgot, my wife saw on tv or read on the net something about the XL-7 having a "bigtime" rollover problem. Any word on this?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The NSTHA rollover rating for the '01 Grand Vitara (4x2) is three stars - few SUVs get any better than that.

Here's a link

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• parideparide Member Posts: 52
    I purchased my XL-7 in March ('02 Touring 4WD) and now have approximately 8K miles on the odometer. The purchase price without a trade-in and with absolutely no haggling with the dealership was $22,399. The only maintenance I've performed is oil changes (the oil filter is in a real bad location) and tire rotation. The truck has had no problems to date.

For long trips, I feel that six passengers would be the limit in the XL-7. Assuming that you're using a car seat for your 2.5 year old, there would not be much interior space left for luggage. I have not used the roof rails to date so I can't advise you on that.

Last week (Thursday - Saturday), we took a trip to Hershey, PA, stopping at my in-laws on the way home. Round trip mileage was 522 miles. The truck was extremely comfortable and we had no complaints from my three children who are 16, 13, and 11. The split rear seat was real handy for luggage (my son sat next to the suitcases). At the 455 mile point, I checked the gas mileage - 20.3 mpg with the front AC on 100% of the time, the rear AC blower on 75% of the time, and a 70MPH speed about 75% - 80% of the trip.

Good luck with whatever vehicle you purchase.
    I purchased my XL-7 Limited in July of 01. It waa right at 22.4k. It just turned over 12K and no trouble--period. However, whoever designed the placement of the oil filter should be sentenced to change one every day for the rest of his or her life. I found that by putting the left wheel on a jack stand where it hangs down it is not so hard to get to but it is a real pain. That is why I use Mobil 1. I guess my longest trip was to Dewey Beach in Delaware ( about 4 hours and 170 miles) and it was a nice ride. The leather is holding up nicely and love the sunroof. I get about 22 MPG, no matter how I drive.
    5greyhounds - Just a thought - I don't recall how much clearance is on the passenger side of the engine compartment, but in Japan and other countries where the driver side is the right hand side of the truck, the XL-7 oil filter is probably much more accessible from the top. You wouldn't have the steering linkage blocking the filter removal as we now have. However, even with the steering linkage out of the way, I feel the filter is poorly located. I don't like the fact that you can't see the filter mounting surface, but there's not much we can do about it except live with it.
    You are so right. I tried the top and it just does not do it. I talked with my dealer and when it goes in for my 15k service he will use my oil for the oil change. That will help a little. Mine is just for fun. I purchased it with 5k on it so I have only put 7k on it in a year. The math says a little under 600 a month. But that is why I bought it: room for two of my greyhounds, the wife and some bags on the roof. On a nice cool day it goes to work. Open the roof, put a few windows down and you can not beat it. BTW: is there a way to post pictures with these messages? I would post a few of my new basket roof rack if there was.
    It seems the more we drive our XL-7, the more impressed we are. My wife puts most of the miles on the truck shuttling our kids around the neighborhood, and I have never seen her so happy with a new vehicle as she's been with the Suzuki. And I agree with you that the sunroof is a great feature, but I'm also very impressed with the rear ac. On our trip to Hershey, Pa. last week, my kids actually turned the rear ac off several times because they were cold (it was in the mid 90's every day of our trip!). On hot days with my old Mazda MPV, the ac struggled to get the front of the van somewhat comfortable while the back always remained warm to hot.

I don't know if you can post pictures with these messages, but I would like to see the basket roof rack you added.

Regards
    Send me a note at: greyhound@dsdial.net and I will mail you back a few pics of it.
  • danixdanix Member Posts: 19
    www.carsdirect.com is pretty accurate on pricing - big rebates right now on this model. My sister in law got her Touring 4wd 5sp 2 months ago for $20,600. I can now get the same vehicle for the same price, but with a 7/100 warranty and 0% for 5 years, so we are actually considering it.

My only criticism of the truck as a parent is that with 2 car seats in the middle row, access to the rear row is impossible. I know i can put one kid in the back, one in the middle for long trips, but for general use I'd rather have the kids in the middle of the vehicle, it's just safer.
    The only saving grace is that if I purchase a Latch system carseat, I assume it would be easy to snap out so someone could get in the back. It's either that or entering via the tailgate!
  • glenclewisglenclewis Member Posts: 1
    Carsdirect is a great site to get the best price. They are taking a lot of business away from dealerships, mainly because of their upfront pricing which is considered a "fair profit margin". Most dealers will tell you that online pricing is out dated, but it's not. I'm selling my XL-7, which is actually still new for $900.00 below carsdirect.com. My advice to anyone is to always use carsdirect pricing if your thinking of going to a dealership.
  • jman950jman950 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know what changes there are to the 2003 XL-7? I am thinking of buying one and would like disc brakes on the rear too. Has anyone had trouble with the rear drums? My 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee has never had good brakes - the rear drums lock after driving in wet and require frequent adjustment.

Thanks,

Jay
  • danixdanix Member Posts: 19
    I haven't seen or heard anything. It would be unusual for them to switch to rear discs - this would increase their costs and require a change in production line. Not impossible, just unlikely. Drum brakes are tried and true. I hate em too, but I wouldn't pass on a car because of this.
    I agree with Danix, discs would be nice but I have not noticed any problem in stopping my XL-7 without them.
  • jman950jman950 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Danix and 5greyhounds. I really liked the XL-7 I test drove. I am just wondering if I should wait for the 2003 model? Since you both currently own one can you give me some strengths and weaknesses that you have found.
  • celindahcelindah Member Posts: 1
    I am considering an XL-7. I currently have a 96 Eagle Vision and love the 'get up and go' that it has. The XL-7 feels underpowered. Has anyone tried to increase the torque and/or horsepower? Please let me know.

Also, how do they measure the leg room?
This discussion has been closed.