Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki XL-7

Comments

• flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    hi again Kimmy. Im guesssing that this is the sensor that beeps faster as you get closer to the object behind you as you are backing. You don't need this in an XL7. Its not that high of a vehicle. You can buy these at parts places like Pep Boys etc. You mount a sencor beneith the rear bumper and run the wires inside to the drivers seat and install the beeper under the dash. Its a waste of $$ IMHO. Whats your email Kimmy. Ill email you some pics of our XL7.
    Mine is frankie_gn@yahoo.com
    Frank
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    I have a 01 XL7 and I have been meaning to have a rear sensor system put on. The problem with the XL-7 is the tire carrier sticks out a little further than the bumper so once in awhile you forget it is there if you are doing a quick backup. I have a 2000 Windstar SEL with the sensors on it and they really are nice. I would not consider it a waste of money. If it saves you one time it is money well spent.
  • jamthompjamthomp Member Posts: 16
    Still haven't seen any responses to posts about putting larger tires on the XL-7? Has anyone done this? and what tires did you put on?
  • tahugorengtahugoreng Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

Just bought 2002 used XL7 with 10K mileage. Just want to check, how do you know if the oil need to be replaced already? forget about the service period suggestion, can you determine by the color of the oil?

Have anyone of you use synthetic oil for this XL7? and is it worth it?

Thanks a lot.

Danny
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    Unless you have the receipts on this, best bet is go have it done or do it yourself. The color of the oil is not a reliable inidcator of the need to change the oil since all modern oils contain detergent despersants which serve to hold the dirt particles in suspension until the oil is drained out.
    Synthetic oil is a very good investment in your rig! SInce it is 'man made" it can be produced to conform to the necessary standards far better than dino oil. YOu have four camshafts located at the farthest point away from your oil sump. Synthetics will pump up more quickly in cold weather while maintaining viscosity grade during hot weather. Expensive yes, but very much well worth it.
    Thanks mopar67 for the respond!

Anyone use a higher gas rating (89 or even higher), and how is the effect to the car? better gas mileage, improve acceleration, etc?

Thanks again.
    Just to let you know that I got the XL7, 2002 the base trim with 10000 mileage on it for US$ 14,750 (pay cash) (exclude tax). What do you think?
    I'd avoid the higher octane unless you have spark knock.
    Stick with a major brand of gas. Avoid the exlixirs that promise fantastic results.
    I looked at the XL7 when I got the vitara. The didn't have a 5 speed on the lot plus they weren't willing to move much on price so I settled for a lesser rig.....but a tough rig at that.
    Stop by my website at www.geocities.com/benjamin_380xd/ and check out what trackers and 'kicks can do in the wilds!
    Finally am getting the XL-7 in for the 15K service. It will run about 175. Does that sound about right?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will give you a baseline to compare your estimate to.

Steve, Host
    what are they doing?

I am curious.
    It is the normal stuff, replace all the filters (air, fuel, etc) do the oil, diagnostic of the systems, fluids, etc. Actually, according to edmunds it runs about $250 here in the DC area but my dealer gives me a discount.
  • xl7manxl7man Member Posts: 3
    Bought xl7lim last year.oh..man..this car is for me.. very solid. I still happy about my choice. but ((
    - a couple weeks ago my interior fan went dead. it can blow only in MAX position.. any quick fixes or thoughts for that?
    - one of my remotes has also said "good night", I checked battery.. it's 3.0V.. replaced it.. and it's still not working. while the other works just fine. may be there is a way to reset it somehow or other tricks?
    - when it was around 7,5k miles I went to dealership and asked them to perform all necessary maint. routines. I didn't find "Differential Fluid Change" on my invoice. Mechanic said that it's only necessary for heavy driving conditions (towing etc.) Is this true?? I've been worried about it..
    I would not be overly concerned about the differential fluid change. It should not need it at 7.5. I have mine in for the 15k service as I write this and it is just a fluid check. (Mine is a 2001 limited) The change is at 30k, I think. Happy you like it. I know about the remotes. They are really weak to begin with so to have one go belly up is not a surprise. Have the fan replaced. It is still under the 3/36 warranty.
    hope this will be biggest disappointment ever with this car.. too naive?? ))
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I did mine at 35K on my Trooper. :) I should have done em at 20K cause mine is heavy duty use.

-mike
    Id recommend changing the diff fluids at 7500 like the factory recommends. Its easy to do and sure as HECK not worth NOT doing it if the factory recommends to. I mean not like its expensive.. Your only spiting yourself.. The factory would not recommend it it did not need it. Maybe the factory uses a light weight fluid to break in the diff and needs ther heavier fluid at the 7500 mark. I say this because looking at the factory maintenance schedule, it does not say to change it again till 100k limes. This tells me that the factory uses a lighter fluid for break in.

Frank
    I just pulled my service book out and the factory says replace the diff at 7.5, you are right. I looked at my records and it was done when I bought it. It was a demo so they serviced it prior to me picking it up.
  • randyrhodesrandyrhodes Member Posts: 54
    Hi Everyone,

I have been following this board for some time.The time is now to get a bigger vehicle. I went to the local Suzuki dealer and they had 4 new 2002 Touring Plus 4x4 models with auto. Should I tell them to take the depreciation hit before I purchase. Think they would go for that? Trade in value is under 16,000 for a 2002 with 100 miles. Sticker on the 4 was from 22k-24k. Any negotiating info would be very helpful.

Thanks a bunch,
    Randy
    ctlid@msn.com
    my local Suzuki dealer has a 2002 Touring (new) on the lot and they want around $16k for it. Great price. Its $22,9xx sticker.

Frank
    Hi Everyone,

Picked up the XL-7 today and really enjoy it. It is a new 2002. 4000.00 off the Sticker and they threw in a cargo tray. I just love how the dealers never adjust the tire pressure, makes for a bumpy ride.

Have a great night,
    Randy
    You'll find these rigs to be tough and dependable. As Mr. Katiyama from Nissan once said, "Enjoy the ride"
    On the tires. You will find in the early part of this thread that many of us upped the pressure to improve the steering and tire wear. Go take a look when you can. I saw in the latest consumer reports that the XL-7 was checked as a preferred purchase.
    Hi Everyone,

I used 4 wheel drive for the very first time today in the muddy lot near a ball field just to try it out. I love it. I find that this truck has enough "get up and go" without the use of the Power Mode setting which I'm sure eats up more fuel. Should have my mud guards and locking gas cap this week. Are any of you ham radio operators? If so, where did you put your antenna? Just looking for suggestions.

Randy
    all the power mode is a slight(very slight) reprogramming of the trans shift points. It does not effect gas mileage.

Frank
    If it holds the shifts longer it will burn more fuel. Unless you are on the highway where it's in 4th anyway.

-mike
    Hey guys! Finally I've fixed problem with interior fun (it was blowing in MAX position only). The mechanic said napkins swallowed from glove compartment caused this glitch. Resistor was basically melted, as there's no airflow around it. So be aware of it!!!
    it may hold the shifts a TINY bit longer but I seriously doubt that holding out a shift ofr a few hundred rpm is gonna effect mileage.

Frank
    Power mode will hold shift to red-line whereas normal mode doesn't hold them that long. It will also downshift more often to keep you in the power band, this translates to more gas burned. In "normal" mode you are always shifted to the higher gears as quickly as possible to save fuel. As I said if you are using powermode in a cruise control situation you won't see much difference in milage, but if you are using power mode in city driving, and hard acceleration situations (lots of stop and go highway traffic) then you will notice more fuel burned than in "normal" mode.

-mike
  • firsteggfirstegg Member Posts: 1
    Hello, group.

The local Suzuki dealer has 3000 rebate and 2000 discount on the new 2002's remaining. With those steep discounts, I wonder what Suzuki is giving them for incentives to move? I want to make the best deal I can. Is there a place to find invoice prices and dealer incentives?

Thanks!
    TD
    Hi Everyone,

I love my new XL-7. The owners manual is kinda poor with respect to how to make the rear seat fold flat if they do at all. My Zuk is a 5 passanger. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Randy
    You have the xl 7 with third row seating right?
    If I recall, it sort of folds down but not totally flat like the Vitara and GV.
    he has a 5 passenger so he does not have the 3rd row.. They can fold flat if you remove the seat bottom:) Otherwise they are 'almost' flat..

Frank
    My cd player, cigarette lighter, and power mirrors are not working. I've found the fuse box under the hood on the left, but apparently there is another one that would have the fuse for these items. I have not had much luck finding it? Any tips?
    Good luck...the space is tight!
    That what I was told too. Its really NOT that hard to get too. There is PLEANTY of room under the dash unlike some cars..
    Its under the dash facing the passenger side (not facing the rear of the truck) to th eleft of the steering column. It has a black plastic cover snapped over it to protect the fuses. Comes with spare fuses and a tool to remove em. Great job Suzuki!

Frank
    Was pulling my popup over dirt roads two days ago and one of my tires blew. The rim is damaged. Thank goodness for full size spares. Does anyone know what the warranty is on the OEM tires? This has me worried that I should replace all of them. Any recommendations on a good 50K tire?

Thanks for the other reponses regarding the fuse box. I'll have to take a look there when I get home.
    Tire warranties are almost always covered by the tire manufacturer, not through the car dealer. You may get some proration, but they'll likely claim abuse since you managed to damage your rim.

For tire advice, click the Tire Rack ad on the left and check out the Tires, tires, tires discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • mezronmezron Member Posts: 1
    You are correct, the dealership won't have anything to do with the tire/rim damage. And the Firestone/Bridgestone dealer said that since I don't have hazard insurance, that the tire isn't covered since it wasn't a manufacturer defect. He said I could have brought the tires into the shop and added hazard insurance when I bought the vehicle. Now I need to go purchase a new rim. I'm curious to see how much it is going to cost me.
    Bummer, and if you had gotten the hazard coverage, they probably would have found a "negligence" weasel clause to deny coverage.

Sometimes you can find decent rims at salvage yards, althought there is some risk that they may have wound up there due to a bad accident.

btw, the Member Agreement frowns on using more than one user id - did you forget your password or do another for your work pc or something? Please pick one and stick with it - thanks!

Steve, Host
    I didn't even realize I had two ids. Must have created the other a long time ago. I am accessing the web site from a different computer. The normal one I use has the password saved, so I never enter it. There are two main user ids that I use on the internet and when I signed in I wasn't paying attention to which one I was using. I'll go delete one if it is possible.
    I think we have to do it - let me know which one you want to keep. Thanks!

Steve, Host
    Hi Everyone,

Monday night we had a snow storm in Connecticut and it was the worst during my evening ride home. I really appreciated the 4 wheel drive on my XL-7. Is there a limit to how long you can use it in 4X4 mode at one givin time. I used is for 30 miles at 45 MPH. Felt very safe and the XL-7 did great.

I look forward to any comments.

Randy
    Randy- there is no limit to how long you can stay in 4wd. If you lived in the north pole you could leave it in 4wd year round:)

Frank
    Make sure you don't use it on non-snow/mud covered roads. If you use the 4wd on non snow/mud/dirt/sand covered areas you will ruin the 4wd unit.

-mike
  • wsibi04wsibi04 Member Posts: 17
    Hi all,

First time poster here but I've been lurking and learning for the past few months. The XL-7 is one of the models I've been researching and I came across these pics at the
    Detroit News Auto Insider .

I don't remember seeing them posted yet so here they are (hope I get these HTML tags right!):

Opinions?

- jb
    Thanks. So much for the rumored change to a crossover SUV that had been talked about. You really have to look hard to see the changes. That is good for those of us that have the 2001 to 2003.
    I have a 2001 limited with only 17k on it but it runs like a clock and I get about 21 MPG. It is a fine truck and is much under rated. The only problem with it is the location of the oil filter. You need to have the suspension all the way down to get to it wiht any ease. Putting it on a ramp does not help. It needs to be on some kind of a lift. Also if you want to change the seat back angle you must be very careful or your watch band will scratch the door panel. It is a tight fit. The dash of the 2003 is really very nice, much more so than the 2001/02. However, I did go to autodash-emporium and purchased an aftermarket aluminum dash kit to dress it up. Looks much better. I sent then the pictures of it after it was installed and they have been posted on their site.
    the oil filter is a litttle tough but in no way is it that bad... i change mine in 10 minutes without the aide of a lift.. The truck is on the ground. I have seen others way harder..

Frank
    You must have small hands or are double jointed (Joke). I have a heck of a time getting to it. Do you get to it from the bottom or top? I can get to it but a real pain. Even my 4runner was not this hard.
    from the top.. I hand tighten the filter so that I can get it off by hand next time too.. Im not small.. 5'-10/170.. Keep moving around till you find the right way and its easy :) I fabbed a funel like thing out of cardbaord to to stop th eoil from draining on the crossmember too.

Frank
This discussion has been closed.