Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Suzuki XL-7

Comments

• Options
    5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    I will give it a try. I only do mine every 5K since I use Mobil 1. I know what you mean about the oil getting all over the place. I have a "cardboard thing" for my Windstar. I will let you know how I do. I only put about 500 a month on it so will not be till OCT or NOV till I do it again.
  • Options
    jamthompjamthomp Member Posts: 16
    Ouch, I called my dealership and they want $499 for the Aluminum rims. Didn't know I was riding on a gold mine. I'm tempted to replace all of them with rims from www.tirerack.com and sell the others on ebay. I'm going to try some local salvage yards, but I doubt I'll find anything. Anyone have any other ideas or places to purchase the original rims?

Jim
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Everyone wants the bling bling rims on their cars nowdays from the factory...

-mike
  • Options
    mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    Buddy has his 94 tracker with 160K on it now and it still purrs.
    Has used Mobil 1since 24K when he got it.
  • Options
    wsibi04wsibi04 Member Posts: 17
    I'm still looking at possibly getting an XL-7 and am curious to see how these trucks hold up over time. Has anyone driven over 60,000 miles yet and do you have any problems or complaints, other than the location of the oil filter and the need to increase the tire pressure? Thanks

- JB
  • Options
    I think it is still a little early for 60k. Even at 15k a year a new 2001 would only be getting close to 45k but you know that.
    I continue to be impressed with mine. We did the Old Dominion Dog Show last week in Leesburg VA and it handled the mud really well. That is one of the reasons I got it. May of the shows we go to are in open fields and when it rains you have to have 4WD or you are stuck. I have just 17k on my 01. It will be 2 years this July and still no rattles, etc. I pull about 21MPG from it. Other than the oil filter and tires the other flaw is the second row seats. they do not fold flat, they are at a slight angle but my dogs (greyhounds) do not seem to mind. I really need to look at the 2003 interior materials since the 01 was not the best. I have had several friends look at mine and all have been impressed. Love the rear AC and that is one of the reasons I got it. This one is the only one wiht rear AC in its' class and it works really well. BTW, mine is a limited.
  • Options
    Glad to hear you're still satisfied with your XL-7. There isn't a Suzuki dealer conveniently nearby so up to now I've just been researching online. At this point, our budget(around $20-22K)is dictating our choices and given our needs,(reliable, medium sized and reasonably economical vehicle that can seat up to 7) we're looking at either an XL-7 or Mazda MPV. I prefer the SUV looks, ruggedness and off-roadability of the XL-7 over the MPV but I think the MPV has slight edges in price, reliability and economy. Looks like I'll have to do some more research and some thorough test driving. Good thing is we aren't in any huge rush. Thanks again

- jb
  • Options
    larrylove711larrylove711 Member Posts: 9
    After reading all of this, I just went on to carsdirect.com and placed myself an order for a Limited. It'll be my wife's main car and I'll have to unload her Santa Fe, which I'm upside down in, but don't mind.

Hopefully I'll make a nice deal and do this w/in the next few days...if not, I'll wait a couple of months and THEN do it.

I'll be back with the results!!!

How does the XL7 look in Blue?
  • Options
    A Suzuki rig looks good in any color!
    You'll find the benefits of real 4wd, full frame construction, timing chain(Not some wimpy belt)and tremendous value in your rig.
    I an very happy with my vitara, matter of fact, if I could, I'd get an xl7 tomorrow (five speed of course!)
    The new IP layout is certainly first class. It bespeaks good design, materials, and execution. It rivals that of more expensive vehicles.

I am sure you will be very happy with your choice and be sure to post here what your thoughts are after you drive it for a while!

http://www.geocities.com/benjamin_380xd
  • Options
    flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    Larry- The Blue looks great as does the Green. Two uncommon colors.. at least what I have seen..

Let us know!

Frank
  • Options
    There was a full page color add in the latest motor trend with the XL-7 Limited interior as the main part of the add. They got it right. Looks really, really nice. If I did not want to keep mine since it has been so reliable I would opt for the new one based on the interior. I understand sales have been slowing increasing for the Suzuki line as a whole so that is good news.
  • Options
    Hey...great news...We are picking up the XL on Friday. The color looks great. I'm loving the leather interior, woodgrain dash, sunroof, heated seats, etc. Can't wait to spend some time in it.

got a great deal...below invoice, through Carsdirect.com

I'll let you know how delivery went and how thing are going after I pick it up.

Thanks for the GREAT information on this board.
  • Options
    Hey, congratulations! Would you mind posting what you paid thru carsdirect.com? This would be a good reference for any new buyers (like possibly myself! : P ) to see if they're getting a decent deal. Also, did you get the 4WD Limited? Thanks!

- jb
  • Options
    Yep...got the 4WD limited....after all was said and done, $23,434...with third row and heated seats. That's before taxes, blah, blah, blah.

Pretty good pricing: below Edmunds TMV even after the $2000 cash back offer.
  • Options
    congrates larry! Did ya get the blue? What color interior?

Frank
  • Options
    Be sure to post here and let us know all about it!
    I believe you will get many thousands of satisfied miles from this rig.
    Make a web site and show us the pix.

Be sure to run good gas and oil and it will last forever!
  • Options
    I've heard some talk about using Mobil 1 oil in your XL...educate me...what's the deal with Mobil 1 oil?

I may start using it in MY Mustang as well.
  • Options
    Its a pure synthetic oil. It has less impurities than dino oil. IT pours at -54F (5W30 grade), important in cold climates.
    It does not "boil off" like dino oil at high temps. It does not break down under high stress which means its shear qualities are much better than dino oil. This means you get better lubrication and less friction in your motor.
    Your camshafts are in each cylinder head, the highest point in your motor. Its important to get oil up there as soon as possible. Synthetic oil will flow better at low temps while providing better protection at high temps.
    Another consideration is the concept called varnish. Lots has been written about sludge but varnish is just as bad. It occurs when dino oil breaks down and begins to degrade at high temperatures. What gets left behind are the imputires, viscosity index improvers and other additives. This leaves a sticky thin film of varnish on metal parts. Over time this varnish can cause rings to stick, lifters to hang in the lifter bores, coat your oil intake screen and generally cause havoc.
    No it does not happen overnight, but over many thousands of miles, it builds up.
    I'm not stumping for MObil but its the oil I use.
    I understand AMSOIL or AMSOL whichever is correct, makes a good syn oil but I don;t have a dealer close to me and I can get mobil 1 pretty much anywhere.
    Avoid Fram filters while you are at too!
  • Options
    I have an 01 Limited and use only M1 and the factory oil filter. I have used M1 in all my cars for years and it is just the best there is. Along with all the reasons above is, as you have most likely read, the oil filter is a bear to get to. I change both oil and filter every 5K and have never had an oil related problem. Run your truck for a thousand miles or so and then change the oil and filter. I always do this and it is most likely not really needed but this way anything left in the engine will be filtered out and gone with the filter. Enjoy your truck. You will like it. BTW, Suzuki had a good report in the JD Power report.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't think the extra expense is worth it for a "family" car, and I drive mine forever. I also don't change my dead dino/filter more often than 5 or 7.5k miles (I follow my owner's manual).

More here:

Synthetic motor oil

Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2

Just don't mention my name in either of those discussions, LOL.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I am sold on the stuff!
  • Options
    I picked it up yesterday (the CatsEye Blue 2003). VERY Nice car....it's great to find out what you all have been talking about.

There is a differnece in the ride fomr the Hyundai Santa Fe (the Hyundai was smoother, quieter...more like a luxury car), but not neough to make me regret it.

The blue looks vrey good, the leather seems to be of high quality....I could go on....I'm VERY pleased with it...only 175 miles so far. Great SUV!! This is my 3rd SUV #1 was a MOntero Sport which got totaled, #2 the Santa Fe....I'm really digging the XL7.

Thanks for the news on the Mobil 1...I may start using it in my '99 Mustang also.
  • Options
    No need to "hope" your rig runs well because after all, its a ZUKI! It will serve you well for years and take you places never before possbile!

You make good choice larry-san...and the samurai warrior is smiling down upon you.
  • Options
    I have read a few articals where the word is coming that Suzuki will build a larger SUV in a few years (2005?). Has anyone heard or read anything about it?
  • Options
    not sure how big or configuration on this. You might check the Yahoo group for the XL7 I think there were messages on there regarding this.
  • Options
    stefman722stefman722 Member Posts: 6
    Hey guys, i am new in these forums, i was surfing the internet and the subject line was 2003 XL-7 reviews, and came across this site. I am most likely going to buy the limited model XL-7. I live in Canada, so unfortunalty there is only 1 color for this model. Beige. But it looks good. But i wanted to know what the adress for the yahoo chat about the xl-7 in 2005. If you could please post that exact site, i would appreciate it. Thanks
  • Options
    Try a google.com or altavista.com search. Management frowns on promoting competing forums. Thanks.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Who makes Suzuki's or are they built by Suzuki?
  • Options
    Come to us courtesy of Tokyo Roki of Japan. From what I can gather from their web site, the factory is in Hamamastu (coincidentally, the HQ for Suzuki and Honda)
    Here's a list of companies to which they supply components to:
    Mazda Motor Corporation
    Mitsubishi Motors Corporation
    Isuzu Motors LIMITED
    Hino Motors,Ltd.
    Daihatsu Motor Co.,Ltd
    Fuji Heavy Industries,Ltd.
    Suzuki Motor Corporation
    Toyota Motor Corporation
    Honda Motor Co.,Ltd.
    Yanmar Diesel Engine Co.,Ltd.
    Mitsubishi Heavy Industries,Ltd.
    Canon Inc.
    Ricoh Company.,Ltd.
    Fuji Xerox Co.,Ltd.
    Sharp Corporation
    Toshiba Corporation
    Kyocera Corporation
     http://www.mazda.co.jp/home.html
    http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/
    http://www.isuzu.co.jp/
    http://www.hino.co.jp/
    http://www.daihatsu.co.jp/index.htm
    http://www.inter.co.jp/SUBARU/top.htm
    http://www.suzuki.co.jp/
    http://www.toyota.co.jp/
    http://www.honda.co.jp/
    http://www.yanmar.co.jp/
    http://www.mhi.co.jp/Welcomej.html
    http://www.canon.co.jp/index-j.html
    http://www.ricoh.co.jp/index.html
    http://www.fujixerox.co.jp/
    http://www.sharp.co.jp/index.html
    http://www.toshiba.co.jp/
    http://www.kyocera.co.jp/index-j.htm
  • Options
    I guess we are all taking the Motor Trend year end review to heart. No problems to speak of.
  • Options
    to that article?
  • Options
    MT does not link that article in the July issue. Go to the newstand and bye it. Its a great article with color pics (catseye blue) and a glowing review.. (kinda sorta glowing)

Frank
  • Options
    imadad1stimadad1st Member Posts: 18
    Been gone a while, good to see the regulars still around. Want to field a question to the folks with a few miles on theirs. I just had to replace the tires on mine at 30K due to severe "chop". I wouldn't mind so much (the Kumhos I just bought make the Bridgestones look and feel like they were built by amateurs), but now after 800 miles (and a wheel alignment, of course -- it was within tolerance both before and after) the new ones are starting to show the same feathering that started on the first set, even with the recommended tire pressure (see below).

Anyone had the same experience? A friend of mine has the same truck, and the same experience. We both, due to where we live/work, drive almost exclusively highway.

Spoke to my Service Manager, and he said that the "few" XL-7s and Vitaras he'd seen with the problem all seemed to be due to running too high of pressure (I've always run mine high, ~32/38). The last 800 miles have been at ~26/36, just like the book says (against my better judgement), but still no satisfaction.

This is getting a little frustrating. This is still the perfect truck for me, but I'm starting to think GM next time...
  • Options
    I run mine at 40 psi and have not seen this.. It did need an alignment brand new tho.. AND I rotate the tires every 6000 miles..
    I would think cupping is caused by the pressure being LOW not high.
    Frank
  • Options
    however, I have a vitara with uniroyal tires.
  • Options
    Hey, Guys..........It's been a month + now and .........wow!! Great automobile!!

Question for all 3-row owners: The carpeting in the rear on the driver side came up from under the seat. Going to have it fixed, but has anyone else had the problem?

Thanks for the information you guys have provided.
  • Options
    No, ours was and is fine..

Frank
  • Options
    parideparide Member Posts: 52
    Larry - The rear carpeting has pulled out 4-5 times on me. I had the dealer repair it the first time (they glued it in several spots), only to have it pull out again several months later. I usually just lift up the back seat and lay it back in, but I'm going to try carpet tape the next time it happens.

I haven't been to this site for a while, but I decided to take a look today because last night I discovered a power steering fluid leak on the passenger side of my XL-7 right by the wheel. The fluid reached the "min" line on the reservoir. I have an appointment for July 8th at my dealership. Any one else have problems with PS leaks. We've also noticed that the steering has been a little rough over the last couple of weeks. My XL-7 is a 2002 Touring with 19,000+ miles on it.

Thanks
  • Options
    howardkentuckyhowardkentucky Member Posts: 4
    Looks like there is a "serious" recall for some 2002 and 2003 GV and XL-7s (also some of the other vehicles as well). Its an issue with two layers of paint not bonding, and the windshield being capable of coming out in some collisions. The fix sounds serious: they will either paint the vehicle, replace it, or buy it back and destroy it. Thats a little scary for owners, in my opinion. I wonder what the terms for the replacement or buy back will be. I could see some customers taking a major hit if they have to sell back their cars, unless Suzuki really gets their act together and treats these customers right. You can see details on the NHTSA board at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ Look for campaign ID 03V223000. Of course, my dealer didn't have a clue, but I was able to get Suzuki customer service to check the VINS on both my GV and my wife's XL-7. According to them, neither is involved in the recall. I hope that is accurate. I can see major problems making this right for customers who have to sell back vehicles.
  • Options
    libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    with gold exterior?
  • Options
    please help us. If u browse for Suzuki XL-7 this doesn't come up. Please also add Suzuki XL-7 to the list of topics.
  • Options
    What is the one color?
  • Options
    I'll see if I can get someone's attention on it. Sometimes these discussions don't wind up in the searches either for some reason.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Can't u just add Suzuki XL-7 to the list of topics and delete Grand Vitara from it?????? And change the name to "Suzuki XL-7". That would fix the whole problem.
  • Options
    Half the time this SUV is referred to as the Grand Vitara XL-7 and the rest of the time it's just called the Suzuki XL-7. Our review doesn't make it all that clear either (link).

While I wait for further enlightenment, we've juggled the model category so this discussion should show up in all the appropriate search places. May take a while for the reindexing to get done.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    LOL
    But Suzuki's official name is XL-7 so the topic should be called that.
  • Options
    We'll still leave the "Grand" in the search field so those similarly confused (like me) will hopefully be able to stumble in here fine :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
  • Options
    parideparide Member Posts: 52
    My XL-7 went to the dealer yesterday, where it was determined that the fluid leak was from the Power Steering Fluid Cooler, which required replacement. They did not have the part in-stock, but indicated that they will have it on Friday, 7/11. They also stated that my XL-7 was the first one they've seen with this problem. While my truck was there, I complained about the rear carpet constantly pulling out from under the third row bench. They indicated that they would take care of this as well.
This discussion has been closed.