Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki XL-7

Comments

• rplankrplank Member Posts: 4
    My XL-7 only has 20,000 miles and my tires are trashed. I ran the recommended pressure and had then rotated every 3000 miles. I do only highway driving. The dealer says the alignment is good and that this is a know problem with the OEM tires but Suzuki doesn't consider it a problem (sounds like the Ford Explorer). I have my doubts it is the tires and wonder what will happen with new tires...same thing?
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    Id be willing to bet that if you took it to an independent alignment shop you will see that it is out of alignment. Ours was off from the factory and having the tires inflated to 40 lbs(we like a hard ride) at 7500 miles the tires are hardly worn at all. I did rotate em at 4000 miles..

Frank
  • parideparide Member Posts: 52
    There was much discussion on tire pressure earlier in this forum. Most of us have ignored the 26lb. recommendation for the front tires, setting them, at minimum, to above 30lb. My XL-7 came from the dealer with all four tires at 36lb, and that is where I've kept them set. I've rotated them every 6,000 miles. At close to 20k miles, I've noticed the tread is getting low, but there is no abnormal wear such as cupping.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The manufacturer ships cars to the dealers with the tires over-inflated to avoid flat spots while the cars are sitting around.

The dealer is supposed to adjust the tire pressure as part of their prep. Often it's overlooked, and you often see posts by people who complain that a car rides rough or bouncy on the test drive. I think that's often because they are testing a car with 45 pounds of pressure in the tires!

The Explorer notwithstanding, the recommended tire pressure is what's listed on the label stuck on your A pillar or glove box.

People "play" with the recommended pressure, but I don't recommend over-doing it. Also, you can't tell how a tire is wearing just by looking at it.

Lots more in the Tires, tires, tires discussion.

Steve, Host
    In my message #830 I complained about severe tire cupping on my 2001 XL-7 at 20,000 miles. Thanks for your responses. Here is my plan, give me some feedback please. I of course have to buy new tires. The dealer says my front end is not out of alignment and blames the tires. Since I have had my tires rotated every 3000 miles the cupping is visible on all tires but it appears to only be happening when the tires are on the front. To me, that would indicate an alignment problem or damaged suspention components. I will take the XL-7 to an independent alignment shop (I know of one I have some trust in) and have the alignment checked/performed. As far as tire pressure, I have been running the recommended pressures from the door post. I usually prefer to inflate my tires a couple PSI higher than the recommended pressures so I think I will start out with the higher pressure in the new tires. I am also going to contact Suzuki and ask if they have had complaints of cupping on the XL-7. I am 54 years old and have had a lot of cars/tires. In my experience, cupping is not an ordinary tire wear problem if your suspenion is not worn/damaged and your alignment is anywhere near correct. Maybe I have been lucky, but I have never experience tire cupping and I have driven some junkers with cheap tires.

Thanks, Rick
  • tahugorengtahugoreng Member Posts: 10
    Rick,

I have just changed my tire, finally at 22500 miles. I could not wait. I changed them with Toyo TPT at TireBarn in Indiana (they are the only one who sell that brand).

Boy, what a diff can tires make! I could not believe it, before i change the tire i could hear a loud repeating noise (above 50 mph). I thought it was the engine, but after i change the tire the noise was gone. I thought i have a diff car!

Toyo, at first i didn't know this brand. but i did a research and i found they are probably now the best tire in the world. They even have the toyo ultra 800 which has 100,000 mileage warranty! My tire shop recommend the Toyo TPT and i went back to home to do further research and found out it has a good customer feedback (better than michelin, bridgestone, others).

So, i bought them for US$ 478 (exclude tax) but include lifetime rotation, balance, road side assistance and all that jazz.

Now questions for everyone:
    - In the XL7 manual it says to do an airconditioner filter replacement. Do you know where it is located?
    - I felt my transmission shift if a bit rough now, especially when it shift from 1 to 2. I could hear a knocking sound (it's not always), you have to accelerate in a certain way. But it's getting consistent now. I have it checked to a dealer, they said that they could not hear anything. I even drove with them and when i drove with them the knocking sounds seems to be gone. Anyway, has any of you has this kind of problem before? WHat is your recommendation? Should i try to flush the transmission system?

BTW: just for your information the dealer didn't recommend to use a synthetic oil for the transmission system. For those who is wondering about it.

Thanks,
    Danny
    at 22k I don't think its time to change the trans fluid. Its kinda early (but won't hurt of you do it this early) I gues it depends on the type of driving you do. All city is a lot tougher on a trans that mostly highway..
    The tires sound good:)
    Frank
  • oamaraloamaral Member Posts: 1
    I've just registered, but I've been following these discussions for some time now. I've got a 2001 touring with 62K miles on it (mostly highway, but some off-roading on the beaches of Cape Cod). At 40K miles I had the automatic transmission flushed and had mobil 1 synthetic put in and noticed much crisper shifting. I've also installed a K&N filter for $40 bucks and noticed a slight improvement in acceleration on the highway. Early on (15K miles) I drained both differentials and put in Mobil 1 synthetic as well. A friend of mine has a Nissan Pathfinder with 300K miles on it and he swears by synthetic, so I made sure all my fluids were changed over early on.

Problem areas - Rack and pinion steering fluid leak. Had the rack replaced under warranty.
    Abnormal wear on the tires. Had the tires replaced finally at 50K miles, they were worn down to the belts in some spots, and there was a bubble on one tire.

I replaced the tires with 235 / 65 Bridgestone Duellers instead of the stock size. If anyone wants to go bigger than 65, don't try it you'll get rubbing. The 65's barely fit, when you turn the wheel all the way to one side you can only fit a finger between the tire and wheel well. Haven't taken it off road with the bigger tires, but no rubbing on road.

Verdict - very reliable so far, the interior doesn't hold up very well to abuse, but everything still works.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard!

Just a note - if you hit your web browser's refresh button right after creating a new post our software will create a duplicate of your message. The easiest way to avoid this is to click the "Recent messages" link at the top or bottom of the listings on this page. After that you can refresh all you want!

tidester, host
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    is behind the glovebox, you need to remove it in order to get to the filter
    thats wayy too late for ther first diff fluid change btw- Should be done at 7500 miles. The factory fill is a lighweight fluid for breakin and HAS to changed at the recommended 7500 miles to remove the metal shavings and to replace the fluid with the proper weight gear oil. Look in your owners manual. 7500 mikes. 125k second change. I have seen diff failers too if you don't adhear to it..

Frank

**Early on (15K miles) I drained both differentials and put in Mobil 1 synthetic as well.**
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    of their XL-7s that they can post?
    I have tons of nice XL7 pics but how do I post em here? There is no way to..

Frank
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Click on the "Town Hall Help" link at the top of the left column on this page then scroll down to near the bottom where you'll find directions for posting pictures. Also, you'll need to find a "host" for your pictures.

tidester, host
    here is my 2002 Limited in pearl white

Frank
    Hope it holds up well for you
  • stefman722stefman722 Member Posts: 6
    hey, the only color available for the Limited model in Canada right now is the gold/beige version. Which isnt cool, because everyone that has the limited model, has the gold/beige one. Hopefully this will change for 2004. Thats the reason why we didnt buy one this year. We are waiting for the facelift of 2004 suzuki. Bigger headlights and stuff. They might have more colors to.
    wonder why that is?? I also understand that the Limiteds in Canada are also standard equipped with the 3rd seats, 4 wd, rear ac and running boards. In the US, the 03 Limiteds don't unless you order em as the 3rd seat option which includes the rear ac and running boards. And the 4 wd option.. Weird/

Frank
    yeah, you got that part right, ecxept the running boards, you have to pay extra for that up here. I would love to have a blue one in the limited color. flyingn, do you know when the 2004 model will come out? up to now there is only 1 site on the internet that shows the facelift. And MotorTrend confirmed that 2004 will have a diffirent facia and rear euro-style tailights. If someone could tell me this, i would appreciate it.

p.s : keep posting pics.
    on the other xl7 site, a dealer in pa was telling everyone that he expects the delivery of the first 04 in 1 month. The grill is different, the tailights may or may NOT be the new design and the transfer case will now be operated by a button instead of the traditional lever. I personally DON'T like the new grill.

Frank
    hey flyingn, you were talking about about the other XL-7 site, did you mean forum? since you not allowed to give it to me on here, i wont ask. I personnaly HATE buttons to switch in 4x4 or 4x2. I like the lever. Flyingn if you could e-mail me at "stefan.manaigre@shaw.ca" and tell me you had read this, i would appreciate, i would like to contact you.

Stefan
    Earlier I posted concerning cupping/chopping of the OEM Bridgestone tires at 22000 miles. Since then I have been back to my dealer, an independent alignment shop, an independent tire shop and a Firestone/Brigdestone factory owned store. Also talked with the Firestone Customer Assistance Hot Line. The verdict is.......the OEM tires are not defective (Firestone), there is nothing wrong with my vehicle..the tires are defective(Dealer), my front end alignment is good but my rear wheel alignment is way out of spec and there is no adjustment (alignment shop), we don't have a clue but we will sell you new tires (independent tire shop). So I have a new set of Michelins (at my expense) and the XL7 drives and sounds better than new. The Firestone customer assistance hot line went as far as to tell me 22000 was good milage on OEM tires and OEM tires aren't expected to wear as well after market tires of the same make and model!? Any thoughts?
    and all involved with your issue did the "I'm with stupid" coat of arms trick (ie, blame anyone and everyone)
    Personally, I would have made the dealer pay for a new set of tires. If he refused, then quietly see to it that four tires on any vehicle met some bad end (courtesy of a sharp object) or you can rant and rave and get really angry right there in the service area and see if they will make amends that way.
  • jiminlajiminla Member Posts: 2
    I've just purchased my XL-7 yesterday. Thanks for all your comments on this board. They've helped me in the decision to purchase it.

Has anyone bought Suzuki's hitch and hitch wiring from the dealer? I want to install a hitch, but didn't know whether to purchase the OEM or an aftermarket. Also, is it necessary to purchase the hitch wiring? Thanks.
    My complaint to Firestone concerning the short life of my Bridgestone Dueler HTs has resulted in them sending me a check for $150. They still don't admit any problems with the tires. Guess they just feal sorry for me.
    Also, the dealer I purchased by XL7 from has dropped Suzuki. I haven't been told a reason but I would imagine it is low sales volume, since this is a large, high volume Chrysler/Dodge dealer.
    Jiminla, if you have Bridgestone tires on your XL7, watch your tires closely. If you see any unusual wear (mine was cupping on the inside) contact your dealer and Firestone immediately.
  • jamthompjamthomp Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone found a good source for parts on the XL-7? I'm at 33K and want to replace the AC and Fuel filter. But I'm having difficulty finding parts other than through the dealership.
  • jamthompjamthomp Member Posts: 16
    Took my 2001 XL-7 in to the shop for the following items.

Leak in rear windshield wiper line causing drip in driver's passenger compartment.
    -Fixed under warranty - likely cause was when I was in Utah in the winter the lines were frozen and I tried using the rear wiper. Connector was broken.

Transfer case leak.
    -Fixed under warranty. I believe they had to drop the transmission to get to it. Glad I didn't have to pay for that labor.

Rear passenger door a-jar switch not working.
    -Out of pocket $40. Turns out the wiring for this goes right by or under the jack. When I removed the jack to replace a blown out tire, I damaged the wiring. So be careful.

James
  • #noname#noname Member Posts: 58
    On the cabin filters try ATP parts. Their part # GA-6 is both filters for the cabin. Cheap too. $27 bot both at my local supplier.
    www.atp-inc.com
    The fuel filter is a pep boys purchase
    Frank

**Has anyone found a good source for parts on the XL-7? I'm at 33K and want to replace the AC and Fuel filter. But I'm having difficulty finding parts other than through the dealership**
  • nepramnepram Member Posts: 1
    Any word on the 04's? When do they come out and what if any mechanical changes? I tried to get an 2003 with a 5speed. No luck finding them since July. So I wait for an 04.
    a 5 speed automatic and front end (UGLY) and tailight changes are whats found in the 04's..

Frank
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    I agree: ugly. They fix the interior and screw up the exterior. I have an 01 Limited and while the interior is not great the exterior gets many a look at by people.
  • autosaurusautosaurus Member Posts: 90
    I just waisted an hour trying to deal with a local NJ dealer on a '03 XL7 4X4.. they had a boat load of 04's in so I figured that they would want to deal to move the 03's out. Well..most I could get off the MSRP of $23,400 was $2,000. It was an XL7touring with auto, ABS, alloy wheels discounted to about $21,400. I see it on "cars direct.com" for $20,530. They refused to move on the price. Can anyone share what they have purchased one for.
    Thanks
    autosourus- What part of NJ? Near Philly? Ill send you to a Suzuki dealer in NEPhilly who will deal with you. Theres a $2000 rebate on 03's now so he was NOT doing a thing for you at all.

Frank
    Flyingn

I'm in Northern NJ..Livingston area.. I would think that no dealer would let someone walkout with a reasonable offer. The dealer was Sansone on Rt 1. The guy just smiled and put his handout to shake mine as to say..we can't do business.. too funny...but am sure someone has to be dealing now! Let me have his number and i'll call them..

Thanks
    might wanna try DeSimone Suzuki in NE Philadelphia. Can't post their phone # here.. Do a net search..

Frank
  • torgesentorgesen Member Posts: 1
    Autosaurus-

Just yesterday, I bought a new '03 XL-7 Touring 4x4 for $21,500. The options included: 3rd row seat, automatic, ABS, alloy wheels, and floor mats. Edmunds shows the MSRP at $24,434 and invoice at $22,959. I told the dealer that I'd pay $500 over invoice and then subtract the $2000 mfg rebate off that amount (so basically $1500 under invoice). They said OK and now my wife is driving my new car :)

Torg
    (SF Bay Area, CA)
  • bobp11bobp11 Member Posts: 24
    I purchased an 03 XL-7 this summer. I have engaged the 4x4 drive a few times to test it out, but generally only drove with it for a few minutes. I was expecting it to drive a little different, but was wondering about the increased noise as well. It is hard to explain, but the engine and the gearing are louder. Also, I understand that running it in four wheel drive on non slick surfaces will damage the unit, but don't know why this is. This is my first SUV and have enjoyed it very much, but am trying to learn how this Suzuki system works. Any input is appreciated.
  • magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    I really like the XL7. We currently have a full sized Montero and hate the gas mileage and the handling. Took an new '02 home overnight last year and really liked it. Didn't do anything then, but the bug is back.

My concern is that the resale value on the vehicle is not the best which makes me wonder if we should buy a pre-owned one. Example: In Phoenix, I have located an '03 with 12K (Touring model) 4X4 for $17K. New, the best I've been able to come up with is just over $20.5K. Suggestions and thoughts appreciated.
    Just came back from a dealr in northern NJ..got a price for a loaded XL7..5 seater.. $20,500..almost $3,000 off list..had auto, ABL, Alloy wheels,.. any thoughts on that price?

Still shopping!

Don
  • bobbya2bobbya2 Member Posts: 35
    Hi Guys
    Does any one know about the best deals on automatic xl-7 4x4 7 seater, preferably in central jersey , but would not mind driving 2-3 hours for a best deal.
    Is there an option to choose 0% finance deal or $2000 rebate.
    Does anybody know about overall reliability since this is first suzuki product I am helping someone to buy.
    Just helping one Novice car-buyer friend to get her great deal for her very hard earned money who was about to place order on MSRP because she was offered 0% for 60 months.
    My email is public if someone wants to email me or would prefer to leave on this board so other buyers may benefit as well.
    Thanks in advance
    I tried Sansone on Rt one in Woodbridge..stay away from them..just poor attitude customer service.. Just got back from one in Garfield NJ on Rt 43.. they had almost $3,ooo off in place of the 0% financing. Seems the factory deal is $2,000 off or 0% for 5 years... Freehold called me after I emailed them and they said they would beat the factory incentives.. Hillside on Rt 22 never returned my call...

Hope this helps
    Don
    ALL 4wd's act like that. I have owned many and all have increased gear noise wwhen the 4wd is engaged. AWD is different. its 2 wd (and quiet) until the wheels slip and 4 wd is automatically engaged. 4WD is all 4 wheels engauged all the time. Its normal.

Frank

### purchased an 03 XL-7 this summer. I have engaged the 4x4 drive a few times to test it out, but generally only drove with it for a few minutes. I was expecting it to drive a little different, but was wondering about the increased noise as well. It is hard to explain, but the engine and the gearing are louder. Also, I understand that running it in four wheel drive on non slick surfaces will damage the unit, but don't know why this is. This is my first SUV and have enjoyed it very much, but am trying to learn how this Suzuki system works. Any input is appreciated
  • bobbya2bobbya2 Member Posts: 35
    Would you please keep posting your shopping results, since I have found today that there is 2000 rebate also.
    By the way did you research the reliability? and if yes , which site?
    I am still convincing my friend to go for Highlander, Murano & Pilot respectively, since it will be for maximum for 3 adults.
    I already realize that it is hard to find after-market parts because it is not as popular MAKE as Toyota or others.
    I think it is not worth to pay Over Invoice , as some people have been getting some Toyota's below Invoice and at 0 or 2.9% financing.
    You could also please email me .
    Thanks again in advance.
    "Also, I understand that running it in four wheel drive on non slick surfaces will damage the unit, but don't know why this is. This is my first SUV and have enjoyed it very much, but am trying to learn how this Suzuki system works. Any input is appreciated."

THe reason for this is because in the suzuki setup, when you hit 4wd, ALL four wheels are locked turning at the same speed. YOu don't have a front or center differential that allows for wheel slip in a turn. To attempt to make a turn will cause driveline bind and trust me, things will break. Don't do it. There is no need whatsoever for 4 WD on hard dry surfaces. The noise comes from two sources, one you are turning two front axles (the xl7 is IFS setup and there are two halfshafts coming from the center pumpkin) and you are turing the gears and shafts in your t-case. That's a lot of metal turning and yes, you will hear some add'l noise.
  • sodaysoday Member Posts: 1
    This past Saturday I bought a 2003 XL-7 touring 2WD with everything except anti-lock brakes for $16988. I payed a total of $16797 after trading my beat up Taurus. It is a special going on at Big Red Sports and Imports in Norman Oklahoma. I even went to another dealer and they said they couldn't come close to that price and are sending customers to Big red themselves.
  • rbeauforrbeaufor Member Posts: 6
    I dont have the paperwork in front of me, but I'll try and be as accurate as possible.

We just bought an XL-7 Limited 4x4with 3rd row seat at the end of July and got a great deal. We did our homework online and found carsdirect price to be $23K fully loaded.

We visited suzuki in brooklyn they offered 400 over invoice minus the 2K off ($23.5K).

Later went to freehold (I think that's where it was...it was a long drive from NYC). Minimal negotiation and they offered invoice minus the 2K off I told them it was a deal but was a little concerned about having to drive back the next day for pickup. So I elected not to sign their contract, Ultimately my wife and I told them to call us once they had financing and let us know what the rate was.

We had been to hillside a few weeks before (just looking) so we decided to stop by Sansones. They only had 2 silver limited 4x4's on the lot and we initially told them we wanted to see the gold. They asked if they offered a "ridiculously low price" would we look at the silver. We obliged (we like the grey interior best anyway).

They offered us $600 off of freeholds deal. Yes $600 under invoice, + the 2K off. We jumped on it.

What's interesting is what happened next. Ask we were signing the paperwork, they added in destination charge of $500, VIN etching for $200, and registration of $99.

We just said we weren't paying it and proceeded to walk out. They , of course, caught us and wiped out all charges except for TT&L. So we paid ~$2600 under invoice (keep in mind you pay tax on the invoice price then the 2K is taken off).

All in all a great deal.

Keep in mind the negotiating didn't stop there. They called us back the next day with an interest rate of 9% (the other place had us at 6.5% ) so we told them forget it because we had a better deal. Ultimately, they dropped to 6.5% to match [our credit is NOT great so this was a good rate for us].

Interestingly the next day, the other place called us with a 4.9% rate, but by that time, we were already driving our new vehicle.

3 words of advice:

1. Do you homework --know exactly how much you are willing to pay and DONT PAY A PENNY MORE!!!
    2. Buy at the end of the month, at that point they are just trying to move inventory
    3. If you are financing, negotiate your interest rate. I don't quite understand how it works, but it seems they can finance anyone at about any rate, and the higher they get your rate, the more money they make!

Hope our story is helpful
  • bobp11bobp11 Member Posts: 24
    Edmunds is now carrying detail on the 2004 model. Check it out. The front end is OK, but I really like the looks from the back with the new tail lights and wheel cover. The interior looks about the same as the 03. I have an 03 auto w/ 4 speed, but it looks like a 5 speed is now standard in the automatics. I wonder how much lower engine rpm will be while cruising at 65 or 70. I must say, this has really been the only annoying issue w/ the XL7 engine since it revs much higher compared to other vehicles I have owned. On the upside I probably paid much less for an 03 w/ the rebate offering this last summer.
  • avenger1avenger1 Member Posts: 90
    I would love to hear about the RPM's while crusing @ 65. I'm not used to my vehicle revving so high to maintain speed.

Also...Has anyone tried to mod the engine at all? Nothing radical, maybe a free-flowing muffler (NOT the loud civic fart can style) and a K&N cone filter instead of the airbox? Maybe get it closer to 200hp and improve gas milage?

On the flip side, I just purchased the XL-7 Limited 2003 in the SF Bay area. I'm looking forward to taking somewhere to test out the 4wd.
    Our baby is silver with a light grey leather.

I hope to get more info of this great vehicle!

GregC
    I have the vitara and suffice it to say, its a tough little bugger that has been reliable and economical to own.
  • leslied879leslied879 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I'm trying to decide between a '04 Honda CRV LX 4WD or a '04 Suzuki XL-7 4x4 Touring but am still unsure about which vehicle to purchase. My main concern is reliability. I dont know much about Suzuki. We've had four Hondas and have never had a problem. Would anyone be able to tell me if they have had any major problems with their Suzuki? The main reason I'm interested in these two particular vehicles is because of towing capability (being towed). For the most part, its for every day driving back and forth to work. Anyways, if anyone could tell me what kind of complaints, repairs, maintenance needed if any they've had...it was be very much appreciated.
    Thanks

Leslie
This discussion has been closed.