Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki XL-7

Comments

• mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    Full frame, timing chain, real 4wd, and a very reliable rig.
  • carnut2004carnut2004 Member Posts: 1
    I have about about 20,000 miles on my XL-7 and had no maintenance issues with this car whatsoever. The only two things I wish it had, are traction control and side airbags. Otherwise, it is a great vehicle for a great price.
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    I sold my 2001 limited last week and got a 2003 limited. My 01 was never in the shop--not ever. I can not say that for any vehicle other than a 91 4-Runner. That is why I got an 03.

I took an 04 out and did not notice a change in the RPMs at speed. The 5-speed auto just keeps the engine in its best tourqe range. The owners manual should have the gearing in it so you can compare the two. The gear shift light on the dash now shows 4 gears plus OD There is a schematic of the 4WD system and the push buttons for the drive systems are where the fan switch for the rear air was in 03. That is now on the passenger side. Other than that it is identical.
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    really? you did not notice any rpm drop at highway cruising speed in the 04?? They rate it at 1 or 2 more mpg on the highway, so you should be seeing a drop in rpm thus a slight rise in mpg.
    I have yet to see an 04 in person. NO dealers in the Philadelphia area have any 04's yet. weird..
    We has 03's before anyone else last year.

Frank
    The sticker on the 04 window said 17/20 for EPA MPG. No different than the 03. I just went and looked at my sticker to double check. I think the final drive ratio for the OD is the same in both, thus no change in MPG.
    better look again. Either you don't have an 04 or the Suzuki website is incorrect. They claim 18/22 with 2wd and 17/22 with 4wd.

see?

http://www.suzukiauto.com/sr_04/xl7/specifications/otherinfo.php

Frank
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Just skimming the vehicle pages (link), it looks like we say 18/22 for the 2004 RWD, 17/22 for the manual flavor. 18/20 for the '03 manual RWD. You'd think the Maroney sticker on the SUV would be correct. Most curious; best check the year on the sticker again!

Steve, Host
    I never said I had an 04, I said I drove an 04. I got an 03 since I did not like the looks of the 04 front end. I very well may be wrong about the MPG (not an important issue to me) since in my 01 limited I averaged over 21 all the time I had it. It just depends on how you drive. I am one of the "egg between my foot and accelerator" kind of driver.
  • snakefarmsnakefarm Member Posts: 2
    I LOVE these trucks!

I'm considering a 2003 2WD touring. The sticker says $20,599 and they are offering a $2500 rebate but it was a Dealer Driven DEMO and has 999 miles on it.

The listed options are 4-Speed AT, Alloy Wheels and $95 dollars worth of floor mats.

My question: What kind of mileage will I get out of the milage? Is the 999 miles a bargining factor for me and how much less, if any, should I expect to pay?

Also, What is an acceptable range for this truck?

Thanks in advance.
    I think milage is 20-25 highway???????? Not totally certain on that part.
    Sounds like a good rig......hopeyou can get a good deal for it.
  • snakefarmsnakefarm Member Posts: 2
    My question is really about what difference it being a demo with 999 miles on it should make.
  • mrwamrwa Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2003 XL-7 on Sept. 27 and went on a business trip the first week. On my way back, with only 283 miles on the vehicle, I started hearing this wind, air, noise coming from behind the dash. It only did it between 55 and 70 mph. I informed the dealership when I got home and they gave me a rental and looked for the problem. No one had experienced this before on a Suzuki, but the mechanic had experienced this with an Izuzu Rodeo. To make it short, they said the window needed to be resealed. Left it at the dealers and they resealed it. It sat in the garage all week and last night I took it to the airport and yes, heard the same noise again, about three different times. At low speeds you can now hear a slight whistle. My problem is I notified the dealer within 5 days of purchasing this vehicle and now I've got 750 miles on it and I'm starting to freak. My friends say I should demand another vehicle, because I let the dealer know right away that there was a problem. They say, do you really want to be stuck with a vehicle that needs to be looked at constantly. I do love this car, but I also paid cash for the first time in my life and don't need this. I'm taking the car back Monday, any advise out there?
    call suzuki zone office and explain this this to them..

Frank
  • xl7ownerxl7owner Member Posts: 1
    Just recently picked up my first Suzuki. The 2003 XL-7 we bought is just great.
    I was chatting with a guy in the shop about the 2004 vs 2003. One thing he indicated about the 2004 is that the electronic switch from 2WD to 4WD was a little touchy. The manual stick shift on 2003 and earlier models had no problem shifting from 2WD to 4WD. The electronic shift on some XL-7's required a couple tries before the full shifting took place.
    Just something to consider...I certainly like the slight changes from 2003 but not enough to drop an exta wad of cash.

Phil
    the only thing I like better on the 04's is the 5 speed automatic trans.. Should help a little on fuel mileage..

Frank
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    i dont think the 04s make any big SPLASH of a difference..but the gas mileage on the highway is improved..

also, i do like the clear-lens tail-lights..chic, very chic
    "The Supreme Court refused Monday to block a lawsuit over a magazine's critical safety reports about the Suzuki Samurai, a defeat for news organizations that wanted the court to clarify protections for journalists who warn about dangers from products."

CBS News

Steve, Host
    I have been reading in my magazines (Autoweek, Car and Driver, etc) about the future plans for Suzuki and several have said a new SUV will be coming out in 06 or 07 that will replace the XL-7. I think several members of the board have mentioned it. Anyone hear anything new? I would hope they would get rid of the smaller Grand Vitara and leave the XL-7 as their part of the small SUV pie. Comments?
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Not everyone wants the long XL-7. The Grand and the Vitara V6 are fine trucks. Suzuki is suppose to introduce 9 new vehicles in the next five years. The Verona and Forenza are the first two. A version of the chevy Equinox is the third. Any other info on what the others are?
  • sree2003sree2003 Member Posts: 5
    It's been three days since I bought my 2003 XL-7 Limited Edition and I love it. Considering I paid just $22,883 on road for a nice SUV with so many features - it feels great :).

I did lot of research on internet and had to choose between Honda Pilot and XL-7. I decided against Pilot for the main reason that it feels heavy behind the wheel and you have to pay MSRP just because it's in demand right now. Few years down the line - people would be paying invoice price so what you pay now is like premium.

The lowest price I found in D.C area for 2003 XL-7 LTD was at Fitzerald's fitzmall.com which was an internet delivered price of $21,782 (including freight). I called a Manassas delaer with this quote and he was willing to beat it at $21,300 (but with a dealer processing charge of $259). But it was not the color I wanted and mileage was a bit high. I called Fitzerald Wheaton with this new quote and they came down to $21,500 after few minutes of talking. This is with no dealer processing charge. They also gave buyer protection plan (free oil changes, coupons etc.) and free rental car at every service. So including MD tax and tags, I paid $22,883 on road. I did all the talking on phone so I just had to test drive and sign the paper work with the dealer. They were probably the best dealer I have dealt with so far.

Look at some of the stuff I got for this low price : 4X4, Leather seats, woodgrain trim, Heated front-seats, 3rd row seating, Climate control, Rear air-conditioning, six-disc in-dash CD changer with subwoofer.. wow!. I would have had to pay $10,000 more for a comparable Honda or Toyota. Considering XL-7 is made 100% in Japan (well may be 90%) and Suzuki is one of the top auotomobile companies in Asia I think it's a great deal.

I haven't made any long trips on XL-7 yet and I will post more after making a long trip. So far city driving has been great. Many of my friends who saw the SUV went wow even before I told them the price!. I especially like the six-disc changer and the heated front seats option (which I am going to love this winter). 3rd row option was another main reason for buying XL-7. I tried seating few of my friends in 2nd as well as 3rd row. If you learn to space the seats correctly it's not difficult to accommodate seven. Ofcourse I am not talking about seven heavy-built adults here. Cargo space is perfect when 3rd row is folded down but otherwise it's enough only for grocery bags.

All in all - a proud owner of XL-7 :).
    Glad to have you a part of the growing family of zuke owners. This is a fine rig and you will be more and more pleased with your choice as the miles pile up.
    my family has a 2003 Suzuki XL7 Limited also, and I do not see why some Consumer (no names here!) magazines say that Suzuki quality is bad. the XL7 has a very nice interior, a quiet and smooth engine, and lots of features for the price!! i guess what drags the overall reliability of a auto manufacturer is one model that sticks out at POOR...(i think its the Vitara due to the old plastic dashboard)..but still, don't drag the XL7 down with it!! also, the Aerio is getting an interior restyle (like the 03 XL7 did) with a nicer dashboard, analog guages, the same climate control system as the XL7, the same steering wheel too!!! believe me with experience of two XL7s (2001 + 2003): Suzuki is underrated and they truly are reliable cars!!
    These rigs are vasty underated in the marketplace.
    They offer a lot for the money and when you throw in legendary japanese reliability, you can't go wrong!
    Thanks for the warm welcome to the club :).

I agree, Suzuki has been under-rated in U.S for its worth. You cannot go wrong with the No.4 auto company in Japan. Here are some of the good articles on XL-7. May be we should share some articles here for everyone's benefit!

4wheeldrive Review - Body and Heart of a Navy Seal

Autobytel Review - An appealing, economical package
  • lkrk11lkrk11 Member Posts: 15
    Hello all,

This spring I purchased a 2002 XL-7 Limited with some sort of aqua tread tire on it that I have never heard of. For a water tire it is great I would buy them again but I am looking for a good all weather/snow tire for it. I have looked at tirerack.com but I am wondering what kind of tire you all out there are using and recommending. Any help would be appreciated.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might take a look at the Tires, tires, tires and Snow/Ice winter tiresdiscussions.

tidester, host
    Here is one more review on XL-7: http://www.truckworld.com/Sport-Utility/03-xl7/03-xl7.html

I have completed 3 weeks on my XL-7 LTD and have been extremely happy so far. I got to use the 4 wheel drive during the snow fall in D.C last week. XL-7 handled great in my snow-covered neighborhood. I could literally feel the difference of a 4-wheel drive while driving through the slush. I am planning to go on a long trip the Christmas weekend and am looking forward to it.

Has anyone purchased a roof luggage rack for XL-7 ?. Should I go to the dealer or buy it online and install myself?.
  • parideparide Member Posts: 52
    I gave my 2002 XL-7 a workout in the snow last Friday night. I didn't even need to use the 4WD until I hit the last road to my house. The XL-7 was extremely stable in 2WD through slush and a few of inches of choppy snow. The last road to my house hadn't been plowed and had many inches of snow on it. The XL-7 cut right through it in 4WD. This is one tough truck.
    yup, You quickly forget about the so-so gas mileage when it snows and you drop it in 4wd. :) We were out Christmas shopping last saturday in the storm on the east coast and it was fun as always:) (except for the poor truck gettin so dirty!)

Frank (Philadelphia)
    can't wait to try our XL7 in the snow too!
  • lkrk11lkrk11 Member Posts: 15
    I would do it myself, if I where you would save you some money. You all are right, I had loads of fun in mine here in Kansas City during the recent snow storm. It did wonderfully I can only just imagine what it would do if I only had all weather tires.

On another subject anybody out there replaced there Hepa filter yet?? I am wonder at what interval it should be done at, and how to do it?? I asked the local dealer and he actually looked at me in shock that it had one.
    I did some searching because the Suzuki wants like $50 a set for the 2 filters.. There is ONE aftermarket company who makes em:)
    ATP. The part # for the set is..
    GA-6.
    I found a local auto parts store who can get em for $27 a set..
    go to
     www.atp-inc.com
    to find a local dealer to you:)

Frank
    The cheapest roof rack system I found was for $95 at http://www.suzukiparts.net/catalog/?section=14 . If I install the roof rack system can I use it to load luggage with no separate luggage module?.
    yes you can..

Frank
  • ronlt2ronlt2 Member Posts: 9
    Haven't been on in a while so I thought you'll would be interested in an update. I now have 67480 on my odometer. I am getting an average of 19.5 mpg and I have a 6inch lift kit on it. I put on a K&N filter and before I lifted it was gettin 23/24 mpg on the highway. Now with the lift kit I get 20/22 on the highway. This si with Les Scwab agressive mud and snow. The only problems I have had is the 4x4 went out and it was the pump, warrenty paid for it and a leak in the oil seal. Still runs strong.
    I have a 2001 XL-7
    Thanks for the info! I'm sure that we'll all be glad to hear your specs. We drive an 03 XL7 Limited 4WD and I'm just curious ~ is yours 4WD, Automatic or what?
    Mine is a 4wd automatic Tourer and the pump went out on it at about 60000. I went and got the extended warrenty up to 100,000. The lift kit and tires were 1800 total, the tires I got are alittle too wide and they rub on the struts so I will get one narrower when they wear out
  • rbeauforrbeaufor Member Posts: 6
    It was about 20 degrees outside when I was riding in the back seat of my XL-7 the other day and I noticed that the rear blower was COLD when I was running the heat full blast. Has anyone else noticed this???

Also I was planning to get an alarm that has remote start installed. Does using anything other than A suzuki alarm installed by the dealer void the warranty for the electrical system???
    Which XL7 year do you have? The 01-02 models have the under-seat plastic heat blowers. It is under the second row bench. When you put the controls on anything that has the arrow pointing down (heat to feet) it'll activate the rear too. The 03-04 models don't have rear heat, except for the feet of the second-row passengers. The heat blower is under the front buckets and works the same way.
    huh? there are NO blowers under the second bench in 01-02's.. All there is is a hard plastic duct under the front buckets to get heat to the floor of the middle row. Nothing in the 3rd row at all.
    Where did you hear this??

Frank
    That's what I meant...heating ducts, just try to think.

"Nothing in the 3rd row at all.
    Where did you hear this?? "

DUH! How could they fit heating ducts under the third row?? The plastic ducts feed heat TO the third row.

LOGIC..
    no, the hard plastic heating ducts feed heat to the SECOND row, NOTHING to the third row.

Frank
  • rbeauforrbeaufor Member Posts: 6
    I have the 03 XL7 Ltd 4x4 with third row. I hadn't looked lately but I don't remember seeing the the blowers on the floor (I thought they were traditionally under the front seats). I'm actually referring to the blower in the roof which is the one that blows cold.
    That's only for the 03-04 models. The 01-02 models have holes feeding heat to the second and third row models. It's a split in between...
  • nhsjrnhsjr Member Posts: 15
    I picked up a XL7 last month. An early Christmass gift for my wife. I was driving past my local Suzuki dealer and saw several XL7's out front with $13,999. on the windos. If you have an Aerio SX you can make a U turn realie fast, I do, and I did. It turns out they were returning rental units, 2002 Touring model's, the brown one I picked had 33k mi. Being a returning customer they had no problim with us test driving it over the weekend to be sure it would be ok b4 commiting to the sale. It was difficult to tell it had ever been used at all, I asked them to replace the floor mats and give me the warrentee to 75k like the new one's. No problim, traided my 95 Previa witch had been a wonderfull vehicle but had 150k on the clock and would'ent live forever.
    My wife drove the XL7 all this month and we just returned from a 600 mi (300x2) road trip to visit the kids/grandbabies yesterday, no problims.
    I have been driving Suzuki cars off and on since they first arrived in the US in the mid 1980's as chevy sprint and later as metro/swift etc. a year and a half ago I gave my Daughter my 1997 Geo Metro to take to college. Suzuki makes very inexpensive highly reliable cars.
    Storm
    Mostly off-topic, but you'd probably enjoy this Aerio (LX) review from the Washington Post:

"offers more proof that Suzuki, better known for building fast motorcycles, is beginning to take cars seriously"

The Little Engine That Can

Steve, Host
    what are you talking about???? There is NO difference in 01 to 04 models at all when it comes to underseat heat or rear ac.. NONE. And the rear ac is just that. no heat can come from the overhead ac unit, only cold air.
    ALL 01-04's have plastic ducts under the 2 front buckets feeding floor heat to the second row. NO HEAT to the third row.
    I want to be sure everyone is gettin the corrct info here..

Frank

rctennis3811 Dec 28, 2003 (5:44 pm)
    That's only for the 03-04 models. The 01-02 models have holes feeding heat to the second and third row models. It's a split in between
    Are you sure? I owned an 01 XL7 and it did have the plastic vent under the second-row bench. It was replaced with the 03 XL7 when they moved the spare tire tools under the second row bench. Did you own an 01 XL7??? Or did you own an 03 XL7?? Plus, I never said the heat comes from the top...everyone knows that's AC.
    Im *DEAD* sure. I own a 02 Limited. ALL the spare tire tools are under the drivers seat NOT under the middle row.. Including mine. The tools and the heat duct easily fits under the drivers bucket
    Tell me HOW the plastic duct makes it from the front to the second row???? On the floor??? Think about it.. It can't..

Frank

Are you sure? I owned an 01 XL7 and it did have the plastic vent under the second-row bench. It was replaced with the 03 XL7 when they moved the spare tire tools under the second row bench. Did you own an 01 XL7??? Or did you own an 03 XL7?? Plus, I never said the heat comes from the top...everyone knows that's AC
This discussion has been closed.