Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki XL-7

Comments

• rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    "ALL the spare tire tools are under the drivers seat NOT under the middle row.. "

Ahem, I pointed out that they changed that for 2003^...

"Tell me HOW the plastic duct makes it from the front to the second row???? On the floor??? Think about it.. It can't.."

Ok, so they must have changed it for 02. And of course I mean the floor, where else - the seatbelt opening??? Just because your model year has something one way, doesn't mean every other model year has it exactly the same. That's why I stated what I knew of the 01 and 03 XL7. Contradicting what I say because you have an 02 doesn't help. It would be like me saying "How is the climate controls not automatic??" to you.....and now it rests
  • real4wd1real4wd1 Member Posts: 8
    there is a subwoofer under the drivers seat of my 2003 model and the tools and jack are under the 2nd row, right side and no vents underneath the 2nd row seats
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    let me say this ONE MORE TIME> THERE ARE NO HEATING DUCTS ON 01'S UNDER THE SECOND ROW. YOU ARE WRONG. NO YEAR HAS THE DUCTS UNDER THE SECOND OR THIRD ROW AT ALL!!! THE HEAT DUCTS STOP UNDER THE FRONT BUCKETS.. EVERYONE CHECK UNDER THEIR XL7'S AND REPORT BACK HERE.. PLEASE CAUSE HE DON'T BELIEVE ME.
    :)
    some people are THICK.
    Frank

Ok, so they must have changed it for 02. And of course I mean the floor, where else - the seatbelt opening??? Just because your model year has something one way, doesn't mean every other model year has it exactly the same. That's why I stated what I knew of the 01 and 03 XL7. Contradicting what I say because you have an 02 doesn't help. It would be like me saying "How is the climate controls not automatic??" to you.....and now it rests
    Dude, you needta let it rest......please, just let it rest...
    let it rest? This is a forum for information.. I want to get the CORRECT info out there. Thats the point of this forum isn't it?? Why should I knowingly let wrong info out there? Not gonna happen.. sorry. Im not upset i just want to cottrct wrong info.

Frank
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    i just want to cottrct wrong info.

I'm not familiar with that dialect of English - but let's call a truce for the rest of the year! And, oh, for the next year too!

Happy New Year, All!

tidester, host
    Thank you!!! :)
  • lkrk11lkrk11 Member Posts: 15
    Any body here install an after market DVD player/Screen in there XL 7. I am debating the idea if it would work. Due to the problem of the Moon roof going into the body. The dealer says they can place something in there for it to work. But I am still wondering about the weight of the system pulling down on the head liner. I think it would only be like 2 to 4lbs it is really light (Screen) the actual player is going under the second row seats. Just wondering if there are any others out there, whom may have done this. I would believe that here in the near future they all will come with the option, from the dealer. It is such a wonder on trips.
  • rbeauforrbeaufor Member Posts: 6
    I was actually considering the aftermarket DVD too....I put it on the back burner for now though because the wife wants an alarm with auto ignition. I checked at Suzuki and theirs is $499, I was actually looking into getting an alarm on EBAY and having it installed. Has anyone done either???

OH yeah, on the rear blower. I didn't realize it was only an A/C unit. I guess rctennis3811 was wrong when he said "...everyone knows that..."
    We got a 7" mobile entertainment system from our dealer when we purchased the car. Apparently, each dealer has different kinds of TVs to install. Ours is a 7" MyronDavis overhead screen with a Pyle View DVD player under the front passenger seat. Since the Clarion stereo doesn't have inputs for TVs, they installed something that gives out the sound through radio wavelengths. To listen throughout the whole car we have to put it on 88.7FM. Weird, but it works. Came with two wireless headphones too! Hopefully, Suzuki makes their own DVD entertainment systems available as an option soon! :)

rbeaufor:
    "OH yeah, on the rear blower. I didn't realize it was only an A/C unit. I guess rctennis3811 was wrong when he said "...everyone knows that..." "
    -Ok, I meant the top blower was A/C the bottom was heat. Clear??
    Thanks for the info. If anybody else has any more information on DVD systems please let me know.

rbeafor, I am as well thinking about getting keyless remote start for mine. My father just had it but on my moms truck, it cost him $249, they told him there that even if he trades in the car they will for free take it out and place it in the new car, along with a nation wide warranty. That might be something to look for. I know i am checking all the dealers in my local area.

Yea, if the a/c is not turned on the top vents only blow what ever temperature air is inside of the truck. It would be nice to have heat but I think not necessary.
  • garygglgaryggl Member Posts: 12
    Anyone have a clue who sells Suzuki's extended warranty on the XL-7 at the best price? I was surprised when I ran a search on this site that nothing came up -- and I did a total site search as well. When I ran a search on my other vehicle, a Honda Odyssey, I had full listings of dealerships, names, phone numbers, prices, etc. It was a real help. Since this would be my first Suzuki, I really would like the warranty.

Also, I live in the Wash. D.C. area and I wonder if $21,600 plus taxes, title, license is a decent price on a 2004 XL-7 LX III? That's the best offer to date.

Thank you for any help
  • snuke59snuke59 Member Posts: 29
    When I purchased my 2000 Honda Accord, I used an online extended warranty company as a bargaining tool. When the business manager of the dealership quoted a price, I turned them down informing them I could get a better deal through the internet. The dealership agreed to give me the warranty for the internet price which was hundreds less than what was previously quoted. The link for an online warranty company is located on the Edmunds.com's home page (warrantybynet.com) I found the internet's price is the cheapest to be found yet the coverage is just as good.
    prolly because the XL7 already has a 7/100k warranty on it already. No need for an extended one..

Frank
    Has anyone gotten their XL7 to the dealer lately because of the 2 recalls?? We got the first recall fixed two weeks ago and another recall came to us by mail on Friday. Yeesh! :)
  • parideparide Member Posts: 52
    My XL-7 (2002 Touring) is going in on January 26th for the accelerator cable/cap recall. I've been told by the dealer that it takes an approximately an hour to do the work. Assuming that the cable is one of the recalls you've received, what is the second one?
  • bobp11bobp11 Member Posts: 24
    The first one I received is for a protective plate to shield some wiring from the engine. The second is for the cap on the accelerator cable. I took my 03 to the dealer for the first, left it there, and only to find out later in the day they did not have the part to fix it. The cap is easily visible on the fire wall and supposedly deteriorates and frays the cable. Mine looks perfectly fine. I guess eventually I will get around to these fixes, but for now, they don't seem that pressing. These things are a pain, but I suppose necessary.
    The firewall cap also looks fine on my XL-7. I don't see any of the cracking the recall notice mentions. But, I'll get it changed now, before problems start.
  • rbeauforrbeaufor Member Posts: 6
    I didn't even realize that was a DIFFERENT recall. I had the first one done 2 weeks ago, now I guess I gotta go back....

GREAT

Hey lkrk11, was that $249 the suzuki offerred remote start???
    at least it's free..but you have to waste an hour of your time :\
    Wow, we really need to get this board active!! Looks like people post every other week or so!! :)
    Nah, it was just a local shop that sells and installs things like that. My dad said it was warranted nation wide will have to ask him what brand it is. Maybe find a local shop that sells and installs it.

I would suspect in the next couple of years it will be an option with Suzuki.

I received my recall on the 12th, on the cap. Never heard of one for the shield, will have to ask on it. Thanks for putting it out there.
    The second recall about the shield and wiring is ONLY for 03's.. If you don't have an 03, there is only the one recall on the throttle cable.

Frank
  • ronlt2ronlt2 Member Posts: 9
    I just went on a trip and "happened" to be in the dealer shop getting something fixed (recall) and was told that Suzuki "recommends" that all XL7's use uridium spark plugs. This (in the shop) is about 120 bucks. I found the plugs for 7.50 apiece. Theyu say that our trucks will start missing and quit completely if this is not done. The idiot lite comes on saying service engine soon and engine starts missing. I have 70,000 on my XL and AFTER I took it in and had them check the plugs (I use autolight) it started missing and spitting. They also say that if the light comes on and stays on its okay and just bring it in when you can BUT if it starts flashing you are suppose to stop and off the vehicle and tow it in.Has anyone heard of this yet (this si my second set of plugs and it is just now doing it, never did it with the first set. I just bought some Champion's and they lasted a day before starting to miss. I have the 2001
    I know that the uridium plugs do run the best in our trucks but I know others have ran other plugs with fine results.. I know when I change mine a new set of uridiums will be going in..

I never heard of the check engine lite thing before tho.. hmmmmm.. Always thought they just stayed on with a hard fault and on mementary with a non hard fault..
    Won't the owners manual say this too? Anyone have one handy to check??

Frank
  • vgrantervgranter Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 2002 XL7 and this is the second CAnadian Winter. I have been getting ICE BUILDUP on the passenger door to the point when you open the door it has caused damaged to the lower door panel in the corner. HAs anyone had similar problems and solutions

Also I have had problems with Front Wheel Alignment. The vehicle has less that 50,000 km. Any solutions.

Also I installed a Suzuki BUG DEFLEctor and on normal driving conditions both have broken with the wind. Anyone having the same concerns.
    my alignment was off from the factory and fixed by the dealer when we bought it. Been fine since..

Frank
    Have any XL-7 owners had problems with their vehicles in temperatures around +10 degrees F? This past Friday, with the temp. around +8 deg, my XL-7 would not shift into 4WD. The "4WD" dashboard indication would not illuminate, and the front wheels clearly were not turning. I have a long, steep driveway to my house, which had some ice and compacted snow remaining from a storm on Thursday - usually no problem for my XL-7 when 4WD is used. However, we were forced to leave the vehicle near the bottom of the driveway because the XL-7 couldn't make it up in 2WD. The next morning, with the temp. about +20 deg. F, it shifted into 4WD on the first try, and I was able to drive up the driveway.

On two occasions about a month apart last winter, with the temp. at or below +10 deg. F, the "BRAKE" and "ABS" warning lights simultaneously came on. The lights remained on for several miles of driving and then turned off. While illuminated, there was no noticeable loss of braking capability. I had my Suzuki dealer check the brakes the first time this happened, but they could find nothing wrong. Unfortunately, the lights were not on when they checked it.
    The 4wd on our 02 Limited works fine right down to 0 degrees.. Its def a dealer serach problem.. Temps should have NO bearing to whether the 4wd works or not..

Frank
  • jkobylanskijkobylanski Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2003 x-L7 and the breaks started
    squeaking 2 weeks later,seen another x-L7 on the
    road and heard their breaks squeaking also. anyone else have the same problem?
  • bobp11bobp11 Member Posts: 24
    Mine do it first thing in the morning or upon a later in the day start up. It appears to happen more often when there is a lot of moisture present. After a short drive they don't squeak anymore. I only have 7K on the car so I know the brakes are not shot. I'm not sure to have it checked out or not.
    Our brakes squeel sometimes, but I can't recall when. In the 9 months that we have had our 2003 XL7 Limited, I have rarely heard the brakes squeek. It usually depends on how much water has touched the brakes. When we get the car washed, the brakes usually squeel for a couple of minutes. Same goes with our G35. Don't worry - it's no problem! :)
    I have an 2002 Limited bought it used and have had brake squeak almost everyday first thing but then stops usually when we get out of the driveway. We as well as some other have had squeaky brakes when the moisture is high or extreme cold. I had them checked and the dealer said as long as it is not constant, meaning even after they have warmed up, there was nothing they could do. I am currently suspecting the brake pads themselves, i plan on purchasing some high dollar ones the have less brake dust as well.

During the first winter we have had it we have had a problem with the ice and snow build up in the wheel wells, to the point you can hardly turn the wheel or get some feed back. But have never had anything like what would cause damage to the door.

Have had surprising no problems with alignment, considering we live in the the one state with the worst roads in america. No really, look it up, Missouri roads sink.
    nope. 10k miles and not a peep out of the brakes.. Some cars squeek and others don't . My wifes last car did first thing in the morn. After that it was fine all day..

Frank
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    My 03 Limited has one that comes from the frame of the passengers seat. It depends on the temp. After awhile it goes away.
    Has anyone replaced the brakes on the brakes on their XL-7? If so, what was done and at what mileage?
    I am thinking of adding either a new muffler for added horsepower or a low-pressure turbo to our 03 XL7. Has anyone added any of those yet? If so, what is your current horsepower rating and how well is it working to improve engine power?

I am also thinking of adding HID headlamps. Anyone know where I can find one for the XL7? Do I have to just buy the bulb or replace the whole headlamp or what?

Any information would be greatly appreciated! :)
    A low pressure turbo?? Is there a kit out there for one? If not do u really think its worth the time and $$ to cobble us all the piping, electronics and exhaust manifolds and downpipe for a turbo?? hardly. Its a 4000 6 cylinder SUV. its not a race car. and will not be fast no matter what you do.. Leve it alone and just enjoy it.. If you want to build a fast car pick something that lends itself to be fast..

You can buy HID liting conversion for it tho. Costly and again hardly worth it..

Frank
    Well, I was leaning mostly towards a universal muffler. And I think HIDs look very good, and I think I'd like to have it. Again, personal preference.

Anyone have any REAL information on where to find HIDs for an 03 XL7??
  • ronlt2ronlt2 Member Posts: 9
    As far as the ABS lites coming on it is a sensor thing that will and can happen to all ABS brakes. It has to do with the sensor getting a piece of dirt/ice in it between the wheel and the sensor. At that point the sensor is not picking up the movement of the tire (usually one) and the others are moving, then the lite comes on. It does it w/my wifes Mercedes also (and my XL7). I would like to know what muffler to put on to get better mileage or alittle more power. Is it the standard glass pac type? I have put a K&N filter on mine and it gave me more power and mileage, well worth it. Also had a weird thing happen, my 4x4 went out on me and the right front axle slipped out of it's retainer. They put it back in and no problem.
    I have searched the web looking for upgrades to mine. The only thing i have found it a K&N air filter, after market mufflers, and some kind of chip on ebay. I am kind of skeptical about the whole chip thing, don't know of anybody whom has used one. I am hoping that after i purchase my DVD system for my Suzuki, that i will have enough for a bolt on after market muffler. I am looking at getting a bolt on turbo muffler.

Hey retennis3811, do you have any pictures of your DVD player in your suzuki. I would like to see how it looks installed. Do you find it a problem with the rear view mirror??
    I'll take some later today with our digital cam. Do you want me to e-mail to u??
    trust me people. There is NO aftermarket chip that is worth the $$.. Same with a muffler. The cat converter is gonna be the highest restriction anyway so a muffler after won't do a thing.. I have seen it proved many times over at my friends chassis dyno shop. The only time your will make hp with mufflers if you are making a whole lot to begin with and you have a very restrictive system,. Otherwise don't waste your $$..

Same with chips. Unless you are forced induction or some major ho its won't do a thing. Period. Go with a K&N filter and jsut enjoy yhr XL7 as it is. A SUV not a race car..

Frank
    Frank, we all know that you can't make an automatic transmission SUV to go very fast, but some of us actually want just a little bit more speed. Whatever you do with yours doesn't mean we should all follow.
    I have a K&N in mine. I have a race car to so I know what fast is and 3900 4wd suv's are not and never meant to be.. :) I am just helping you guys save your $$ trying to make our trucks fast..

Frank
    I would love for you to send them to me, lkrk10@chater.net.

I will take what you said (flyingn)into consideration, but what about all of those shows and magazine articles that have just put a high performance muffler on and wham! 5 to 10 more horse power along with better gas mileage. I know it isn't race far from it been there done that have the trophy, but you to want the best you could possibly get out of the truck.
    what magazine articles? I have never seen one that actually proved on a dyno that a muffler on an otherwise stock vehicle gave you one extra hp. I, on the other hand, have seen it proved that it DON'T give you one ho many times on a real live dyno:)
    You watching too much "hi rev tuners" lol

Frank
    But a little bit more HP can make a pretty good difference in highway acceleration. If you don't want to add one, then don't..but others might want to!

lkrk11: Ok I sent the e-mail. I sent one to you at "chater.net" and one to "charter.net" I don't know if it was a misspell or what. LOL. Hope you get it soon!
  • randyrhodesrandyrhodes Member Posts: 54
    HI,

Wow, time flys when you are a new parent. Haven't had much time to spend on this board. Here is my update. Now with 16,400 miles I have had a couple of issues with the XL-7.
    1. The windshield washer line to the rear window seperated behind the headliner over the second row seat. My headliner turned a nice shade of blue. This was caused by a bad hose coupler from the factory. Suzuki fixed the problem and replaced the headliner.
    2. Today, the Brake and ABS warning lights came on. It has an appointment at the dealer next week for the recall and I will have them fix the brake issue.

I had XM radio installed almost a year ago as well as Thule roof racks. What a nice truck. It's a definite keeper.

Best 73,
    Randy
    Your too funny! Just because you saw one does not mean that is it. Many variables go into it, car, technical expertise, etc. etc. I raced a new vette in my mustang, do i think all vettes are junk, no. Many variables go into it, but just about all muscle car magazines do dyno tests with the new camaro's and mustang's, to see what they really base line at. Then they start adding air filters, Exhaust, chips, under drive pulley's, cooler's, the lists go on and they all publish what they improved on in HP and Torque. That is how the aftermarket came about, but hey even if you where right, i have mine tagged in a state where i don't even have to have one, I'll just go straight pipe.

Randyrodhes, tough break, that would suck to have happen good thing it was all covered.
This discussion has been closed.