Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Echo Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• cpo4cpo4 Member Posts: 2
    could anyone tell me if the echo cd player skips when it hits a bump . and what accessories are worth getting . and your likes and dislikes about your echo . i test drove one yesterday and was impressed
  • bob365bob365 Member Posts: 3
    I noticed that in the scheduled maintenance guide that the Camry and Avalon should replace their air conditioning filter every 15,000 miles.

What about the Echo? No need, as it doesn't have one...

But wait! Not so fast!

It has the same type of tray for a filter as the others. It sits right behind the glove compartment and above the blower motor (see photo in the 'interior' section of http://www.echofans.net ).

There is no filter in the tray, but that can be fixed easily. I simply took a pleated furnace filter and cut it down to size. I used one that had wire reinforcement which keeps the pleating from moving and slid it right in there. That gave a filter similar to the one in the Avalon (my father has an Avalon, and I looked at the filter).

As long as the filter tray is already there, why not put something in it? Otherwise, it's just sucking in outside air that is full of all kinds of crud (my father's Avalon filter was dirty as heck!).

My Echo is nice and new and clean, and hopefully this little trick will help keep it that way. :)

• kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    Great tip! I'm gonna try it!
  • autofxgirl2autofxgirl2 Member Posts: 2
    Bought my Echo on October of last year. It's a 2002 4-door. I love the car! However, I am trying to find a bodykit and white out headlights and tailights for it. Talked to Toyota yesterday and they said they don't have anything for the Echo. How Frustrating!! I found a website that has body kits for them but they e-mailed me back and said they only fit hatchback models. Don't have one of those. Anyone seen anything else promising or have any ideas for a kit that could be cut to size? Same on lights...where are they???
    Speaking of supercharging...if I was willing to spen the 4K to get turbo would it even fit without having to modify the hood? If not how effective a chips??
    Thanks ahead of time for any ideas you all might have.
    AutoFXGirl2
  • janbeejanbee Member Posts: 127
    there was someone in the toyota echo message board that had a body kit sent over from japan (i believe) and he even posted some pics of it on his echo, it was prob a couple months ago so you will have to scroll back quite a bit.
  • tc3housetc3house Member Posts: 1
    has anyone installed the Eibach Pro-Kit Spring Set on the ECHO?
    if so how is it? how much harder does it make the ride?

thanks
    tc3house
  • IleIle Member Posts: 14
    If you go to toyotaguys.com you will be able to get a lot of different aftermarket stuff for your echo. TRD suspension kit! cruise control, better brakes etc. great site.
  • nldavis27nldavis27 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to change the suspension in my 2002 Echo and don't want to pay through the nose w/dealer shop prices... I am unfamiliar with the " terms " and brand names that would allow for a tighter/harder ride.... any suggestions?
  • gregzgregz Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 2 door echo. i would like to install an aftermarket tachometer. can any one help?
  • rjriley13rjriley13 Member Posts: 1
    Hey all. Had a lil accident with my 2000 2 dr echo. Looking for front clip with lights and rear wrap-around bumper skirt. Looked all over for body kits... FOUND NONE. Found some for a 4 door just not a 2. Thanks Randy
  • normhnormh Member Posts: 30
    Has anyone installed an OEM clock in their Echo. Where does it go? What fits in the little oval shaped cut-out in the dashboard in front of the instrument cluster? Thanks, Norm.
  • echodudeechodude Member Posts: 1
    can you change the speedometer from a 2000 echo without a tachometer to one with a tachometer? how about using 13 inch tires on the car? front
    license plate bracket ?
  • point4mpoint4m Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2001 Echo and I'm looking for a bug deflector for it. I can't seem to find anything. Can anyone direct me to a site or to a store that I can purchase it from Canada? Also wanted to know if the speed chips actually work and if they have any hidden side effects that could wear out the engine or other parts.
  • maseman89maseman89 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 02 echo that is in good shape. But it is a manual without a tachometer.I need a tach cause i listen to loud music and cant hear the engine. Can anyone tell me a website that will tell me how to install one?
  • barnee61barnee61 Member Posts: 67
    I live in Canada and will be purchasing an Echo hatchback. Was wondering if anyone had any input regarding the Cold Air Intake and the Borla exhaust in terms of the actual increase in performance? Toyota Canada gives no information re horsepower increase nor anything else...was wondering if anyone can provide details from personal experience? The cold air intake is about $450 CDN and the Borla is $650, just curious as to whether these sufficiently increase the driving experience.

Also, has anyone installed the TRD strut braces front and back? Comments re handling improvement?
  • suzaeriosuzaerio Member Posts: 2
    Just bought the 2000 Echo after months and months of researching... and am very glad I found this site. Anyone as interested as me to find factory accessories for this cars? I have a long list but for now I'm looking for the so-called "rocker panels" which are black plastic rails/trim that lines the bottom and wheel section of the Echo. Anyone know how the installation on this item would be?

I was a SAAB owner (YEAH!) and loved their website www.saabcentral.com but haven't been able to find a site for the Toyota models that even comes close to SAAB's. It's probably there....just haven't spent enough late nights to find it I guess. :D

Thanks!
    Hi Suz...what you're looking for are called "side skirts". If you google "echo side skirts" you should find lots of aftermarket suppliers. You don't have to get black ones, you can get color match. Here's one site I found that has them for about $200 US. Installation should not cost you much, they're pretty much a bolt-on piece.

http://www.racerwheel.com/exterior-body-kits-toyota-echo-2000-2004.html

Toyota Canada has OEM side skirts (two types, regular and "styled"), but they're for the Hatch, not the Sedan you probably have.

Cheers & enjoy your Echo!! :shades:
  • suzaeriosuzaerio Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the "side skirts" info. At least on my particular '00 manual Echo (don't know which package it is) I don't have those black factory skirts that are on most of the Echo's. I've heard that they're also called "rocker panels"? I'm wondering who sells these OEM black skirts and can they be added on to my car? I like the skirts from the link you gave, but for me they're too bulky looking.

I'll keep my eyes peeled anyway! ;) Thanks Barnee.
    LOL...you made my day Suz. "Rocker panels" are those solid metal pieces under your doors that keep your car from falling apart. ;-) They're pretty essential, and come with the car!

I did another search and geez, you're right, there's not much available for your 2000 sedan. I found one other supplier, in Australia, but the skirts they were selling were even bulkier, and butt ugly (in my opinion).

I've never seen the black ones you mention. I guess the best thing to do is if you see ones you like, ask the owner where they got them! You could also check with the parts counter at your Toyota dealer....they might have them (if they're factory as you say), and if they don't, they might know a jobber parts place that does.

Best of luck. If you find some and get 'em, post a pic of your new baby!

Cheers, Barnee :P
  • happycamper56happycamper56 Member Posts: 11
    I just started to change my own oil on my 2001 Echo manual with 52,000 miles. I had been going to commercial oil change places and know that they use the cheapest oil
    and the cheapest oil filter.

I just put on an OEM Nippon oil filter that I paid $3.00 for. I am wondering if it is worth it
    to use the K&N oil filter at $9.00 or $10.00.

When I just changed my oil at 2500 mile interval, I noticed that the oil was very dirty with
    particulate.

Will the K&N reduce the particulate enough to go 3000 miles or more for oil changes or
    should I still change the oil and filter at 2000 or 2500 even with Mobil 1 synthetic oil
    and a K&N oil filter?

As for the cabin air filter, one poster said the Echo does not come with one, yet I have
    seen them listed by new parts aftermarket dealers for about $15.00.

Where are the screws or bolts or clasps holding the air cabin filter housing in place behind the gove box and how do I step by step take off the housing to get to the cabin air filter area? I am not mechanical so please make your instructions for dummies like me.

Thank you.
  • medievallosermedievalloser Member Posts: 3
    This should help with that -
    http://www.micronair.us/assets/pdfs/122.pdf
  • torsb2000torsb2000 Member Posts: 2
    you all might check out jc whitney. I have been lucky to get a few things (replacement parts for interior, exterior and the like) for my 2001 American 4dr Echo.
  • torsb2000torsb2000 Member Posts: 2
    yeah all the performance and customization parts are for the canadian and euro hatchback Echo aka Yaris. You might also check out jc whitney I got a few parts for my 01 American 4dr.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    over in care and maintenance and got no replies, so I thought I might post it here as well and double my chances of a reply...

Has anyone here installed a rear sway specifically on an Echo? I understand people have found them quick and easy to install on the all-but-identical-underneath Scion xA.

:-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• luvmyecho3luvmyecho3 Member Posts: 6
    cd only skips if is is old and damaged.as in scratched. a new good condition cd should not skip
  • fire87fire87 Member Posts: 1
    I just got some lights in and am trying to wire them to my hazard lights so they correspond with them. does anyone know how to connect them to the hazard lights and not blow a fuse or burn the car?
  • jason02echojason02echo Member Posts: 1
    I just tried to go to www.husco.com and ended up at a site which was no help at all and led only to other links for apartments, dating services, airline tickets etc. Any chance it's another site that you got the armrests from?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi - welcome to CarSpace!

You probably didn't notice, but the post you found is six years old. It seems likely the site has gone out of business in all that time.

Tell us more about what you are looking for. Maybe someone here has some other resources for you.
  • hughmungushughmungus Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased an armrest for my 2003 Echo from Ebay. It fits well but is only available in black. Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Echo-Yaris-Armrest-Accoudoir-also-Aygo-Ave- nsis_W0QQitemZ360032692885QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item360032692885
  • juntunersjuntuners Member Posts: 1
    I just purchase Secert Weapon-R air intake for my 2001 Toyota Echo. Before I did that I notice that the stock air filter box(the top part) has the MAF sensors & this lilttle rubber tube on the side as well.(little above the MAF sensor plug). I already installed the air intake on my car but that rubber tube I was talking about I have no idea where it should be plug at? It's not sucking air do doing anyting. The intake works great & my check engine light didn't go off what so ever. Just wanted to know if that rubber tube on my stock plays a role? I just cap the tube off with a zip-tie. Anyone who installed an air intake in a Toyota Echo before can y'all help me out with this problem. Thanks. (on the stock filter bx the MAF sensors & that rubber tube is connected on top of the air filter box)
  • ahab3ahab3 Member Posts: 4
    Have the same car and the weapon-R , those hoses are part of the evaporative subsystem,had a hard time with them,cause they lighted up my engine check light when I installed them to the intake,I have being shooting emails to the manufacturer for better instructions,they don`t have them,on of the guys ask me to send a pic of the install to tell me if it was correct,I`m planning to do it this coming weekend,if I get any answer from them I`ll post it here.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    Installing things like this is an excellent way to cause all kinds of problems with your ECHO. Both now and in the future.
    Care to elaborate?
    Installing an oiled element air filter like the K&N will lead to your mass airsensor being plugged up with oily junk causing the engine drivability issues. You already know the trouble you caused with your air pipe.
    Tell you what,I inspected the mass sensor and it is as clean as a whistle,I will install the thing again after I get the hose routing right,and will post the results
    How long has it been downstream of the K&N?
  • mnmanmnman Member Posts: 36
    I installed a Rostra cruise on my '01 Echo, I love it, I also bought a used clock on ebay, plugged it right in, velcroed it into the small box, there still is enough room for a box of smokes next to it.

I need to put a power hook up for my Garmin, I was thinking maybe a small plug on the side of the instrument cover. I make my own cabin filters from filters at work. Does anyone have thoughts on better brake shoes for the rear?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    The Rostra cruise on my '02 has me rethinking my whole mistrust of the aftermarket industry! It has served me faithfully for a number of years, and is very similar in operation to Toyota's own factory cruise system.

Oh, and rear brake shoes? I am at 110K and my car has never needed replacement shoes, sorry.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

This has most likely been brought up before- but I am new to this forum... Is there any way to get int. wipers for the ECHO? I can't stand a long trip of having to constantly hitting the wipers. Man, if I had that... I'd have my cruise, clock, gps, wipers... a remote start would be nice up here in the north, but with a manual tranny, it seems too expensive.
    1 800 765 7100 (junkyard for Toyota parts)

Ask for a interval wiper switch from an 01-07 Corolla.Or you coud ask for same from an ECHO. Note there are interval wipers and variable interval wipers. The whole thing is built in to the wiper switch. Three philips screws and the lower plastic housing aound the steeringcolumn comes off revealing the turn signal and wiper switches/arms. All built into one. The interval wiper switch/arm will plug right into where the non interval switch was. Plug and play! Also believe the switch from a Matrix will work.

Oh almost forgot. You want a wiper switch for a car without fog lights!
  • dakedake Member Posts: 131
    Yep, what kneisl1 said... HERE'S my old post from earlier in the year with pics (scroll down for pics).

I wanted variable spd intermittent wipers and the Echo came with just single-spd intermittent as an option. I have the Matrix switch on mine, and I'd wager that almost any Toyota wiper switch from those years will probably work. The extra knob for the rear window wiper doesn't effect anything.
  • KukusintKukusint Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where I can find a bra for my 2004 Canadian model Echo Hatchback? How about a bug deflector?

Thanks!
  • echoecho7echoecho7 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I am trying for last for weeks to figure out where is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) wire located in my Totyota Echo 2001. Without any success. Please help me if you can
    Well the VSS SENSOR is located under the air cleaner assembly so I assume its screwed in to the transmission. Is this an auto transmission? So if you find the sensor youll find the wire. According to the manaual its under the air cleaner which has to be removed to get at it. Let me know what you find out!
    It has been a year since I put my cruise in, but I just looked at a wire diagram I have on the computer and it looks like a violet wire or a red/white wire. I found mine by the instrument cluster. I'm going up north now w/the Echo, I'm sure you know the cover to the cluster snaps out very easily... I can look closer if you need me to. Good luck, Mark from Minnesota (mnman)
    I checked for the wire that I used for the vss in my '01, it is violet/white colored and is in the right wire bundle going into the speedometer cluster.
    Mark,
    Thank you so much for taking time to check this. hopefully, i will be able to solve this "Cruise puzzle" this weekend.
    Thanks again to everyone who found some time to help!
    Lj
    yes, you are correct it is auto transmission.I found a sensor located on transmission , but there are 3 wires. which one to chose is the question now. Mark helped with answering
    this question (please see his reply), so I am hoping that this weekend I will be able to locate wire and finaly get cruise running.One more question: do i need additional vacuum canister for cruise for Toyota Echo?Already bought one but didnt installed yet...
    Thank you for your help and time!!!
    ~lj
    Try to get ahold of nippononly, he's installed cruise in his ECHO (manual trans though) so he might know just what to do. You can find his posts in the main ECHO forum.
    Sure I will. Thanks again for your help!