Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    I was at the book store just the other day, and I flipped through some of the latest issue of the automotive magazines.

I think it was MotorTrend that did a comparsion test of the Toyota Sequoia vs Chevy Tahoe and Ford Expedition. I think it's MotorTrend magazine.

Sequoia stamped out the competition. The last paragraph sumed up the reviewer. It states something like "while the tradtional SUV still has the towing advantage, Toyota sequoia out-shined the competition in just too many areas for the Chevy Taheo and Ford Expedition to catch up". Hail to the new king of fullsize SUV.
  • mobiweldmobiweld Member Posts: 99
    If you ORDER or they currently have a vehicle that you want, Mercedes & Porsche sell at MSRP. If a car is ordered, customer opts not to take delivery, the MSRP is out the window. CLK 320/4** are MSRP if ordered. If not delivered, the price goes up $10,000 to $15,000. It all comes down to supply and demand. You want to be the first on your block, pony up.
  • golfnutsgolfnuts Member Posts: 12
    vondrak1, I've notice the same trend in the DFW area. There are a lot of Seq. on the lots and they are not moving at all. This time of the year might be a good time to buy. The last 2 weeks of Dec. is typically a slow time for dealerships. Most of the customers are out shopping for Christmas presents, not buying cars. If you give them a reason price, they might even take it. Good luck! I'm waiting for the same thing up here.
  • yossarianyossarian Member Posts: 43
    Huh?
    1) Motor Trend is generally a biased rag.
    2) Plus, full sized SUV, you say?
    But alas, the Tahoe isn't Chevy's fulled sized SUV. The Suburban is. Why oh why would Motor Trend pair off a Tahoe with a Sequ? The Suburban is much closer in size to the Sequ and closer in price too. It is kind of like picking on the kid brother because you know it will be an easier fight.
    As for the Expedition, it is a worn 10 year old model. No surprise there.
    And why not through in a Lexus LX470 into the battle? Motor Trend flat out ignored the financial real-life differences between the models, so why not throw in the $60k, arguably full-sized SUV, into the comparo?
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    You must be a Seq owner...go back and read the lines and between the lines a bit more. There are some other drawbacks other than the towing disadvantage. I it was this article that states something to the effect that serious off roaders may not be as pleased with the 4wd system due to the control it takes away from the driver.

Isnt the Tahoe/Yukon a lot more inexpensive?

Doesnt it get better gas mileage?

Doesnt it have better visability for the driver?

Is it really the vehicle that should have been compared (ie. should not the Surburban/Yukon XL been the comparison vehicle given price, size, etc being closer to the Seq)?

These are just some concerns I have using just one article to form your opinion.

Dont get me wrong though, I think the Seq will be a quality vehicle but it certainly IS NOT leaps and bounds ahead of other very capable SUV's currently available in my mind.
  • oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    I was interested in these comparisons: Seq-vs-Tahoe/Expedition, or Seq-vs-Suburban ! And, maybe even Seq-vs-LC !

In most car sites, the competing models to Chevy's Tahoe is the Seq, while for the Suburban, it is the GMC Yukon or Expedition, ... Hence, MotorTrends' comparison of Seq-vs-Tahoe is correct, imo. BTAIM, every car buyer has different needs and wants in ther car of choice. For me, the important criteria are: (a) reliability, (b) build quality, (c) retention of value over time, and (d) intangibles (e.g. look, feel, handling, etc...)

In many of these counts, Toyota vehicles come up winners over and above its competition, imo. I could care less if the price is much higher for Toyota than the others, so what ? You get value for your money, always, when you invest in quality. For my money, I'd buy-in to Toyota any day before I put my hard-earned $ into a Chevy, or Ford. Just too many problems on QA for these latter vehicles.

One interesting point I found on the Toyota website while doing a Seq-vs-LC comparison: Both of these cars in 4x4 mode, are very similar in their specs', but differ in one glaring point - COST. A 2001 LC starts at $52K+, while the 4x4 SR5 Seq starts at $32+K !!! A 20K difference in price for two arguably very similar cars from the same manufacturer. A local dealer here told me that he suspects that LC production will be drastically cut next year, while most will be made under the Lexus badge (LX470) to justify the price difference viz the Seq. Interesting ! Toyota can be accused of being "too good for its own good", bringing out a new model SUV that takes out one of its high-end model...

Anyway, time will tell whether the Seq will out distance its competitors, or will in fact, not be as good as advertised... I guess, we will all find out soon enough.

In the meantime, I look forward to enjoying the Seq we recently purchased and I fully expect this car to put its competition in its rear view mirror.
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    I don't own a Sequoia, not remotely interested in it. Don't own an SUV, truck, or anything 4 wheel drive. In fact, I don't like SUV in general. And I certaintly don't know enough about SUVs to get into a deep spirital discussion about them. I do occationally thumb through auto-magazines, and I would bet that those people know what they are talking about and have good reasoning behind their comparison.

I only found this forumn because it constantly show up as the "most active forumn" at the townhall front page.

After scrolling through about 1,000 argumentative posts between the people, I just wanted to throw in what I read.

The article does NOT say that the Sequioa is the PERFECT SUV. And it DOES say that both the Chevy and Ford has its advantages. Whoever the article does indeed conclude the comparison stating that the Sequoia outshines the competitions in too many areas for the competition to match it as a whole.

Whether that review is biased or not. I care not. But I think that this being that "Toyota Sequioa" forumn, that people should show more respect for the purpose of this forumn. I do think several people here are trolls. If Sequoia owners don't run off to make a ruckus in the Ford or Chevy forumns, I think same respect and civility should be shown in return.
    Give me a break.
    The Sequ is no LC.
    The Sequ is made in America with a lot of U.S. parts. It is basically a Tundra, which, it appears, is not much more (if any more) reliable than its U.S. competition.
    The LC is almost bulletproof. High quality Japanese construction, nice switchgear, proven durability.
    The Sequ is Toyota's attempt to make $15k per truck. They cut corners everywhere they could -- starting with the almost pathetic interior and switchgear. It looks more like a GM or Ford than any Toyota I've ever seen. They are counting on a lot of people like you -- $45k!!! Wow what a bargain for a bigger LC!!!
    Here is a test for you.
    Test drive a LC on the highway at 65 mph, have a pleasant conversation with your passenger and take note of any wind and road noise.
    Test drive a Sequ on the highway at 65 mph, attempt to have a conversation with a passenger, and take note of the absurd wind and road noise of the $45k vehicle.
    Sums up a lot of differences, including the engineering tolerances each vehicle was built to, right there.
    This face-off started with Toyota.
    Toyota began comparing the Sequ to the Tahoe and many of the magazines are following suit for some reason.
    I don't know why.
    Perhaps because Toyota tells them this is what they should be comparing? Who knows?
    The point is, just because they choose to compare them this way doesn't mean you have to agree.
    The Suburban has 138 cubic feet of cargo capacity.
    The Tahoe has 104.
    The Sequ has 128.
    Is 104 closer to 128 or is 138 closer to 128?
    You decide.
    By the way, the Suburban is also $7500 cheaper.
    It astonishes me that the people who write-up these comparisons are surprised that the Sequ has more room in the third seat and more cargo area behind it than the Tahoe. DUH!
    But, take a look at the Suburban, and the tides suddenly change.
    It has all that, gets better gas mileage, has a substantially larger gas tank, a shorter turning radius, and is 25% cheaper. . . . hmmmm. Now that's a comparison I'd like to see.
  • golfnutsgolfnuts Member Posts: 12
    I do agree with you about the LC being a better vehicle than the seq. The Seq. quality is not as good as the LC but it's still pretty nice. I think the Seq. might run the 4runner off the market than anything else. No matter how much cheaper the sub. is, I will never buy 100% American made vehicle. The reliability is much better on the Japanese vehicles. Even though 60% of it is from America. Japan products and designs are just better over all. Just my 2 cents!
    I agree, generally.
    But the Tundra just ain't that reliable.
    Hence, the Sequ just ain't going to be that reliable.
    As reliable as a Suburban? I sure hope so (for Toyota's sake), but too early to tell at the moment.
    In my mind, the 4Runner falls into LC class -- bulletproof. Not worth $35k+ because of its small size, but bulletproof nonetheless.
    The Tundra is not bulletproof.
    I doubt the Sequ will be.
    Plus, with all the present wind and road noise in the Sequ right off the assembly line with brand spanking new seals, what is that going to sound like at 30,000 miles when the seals start to wear? How about 50,000 miles?
    All I am saying is, 1) are you getting what you pay for? and 2) to the Motor Trends and Car & Driver's out there -- please throw a Suburban in when you face-off full-sized SUV's.
  • hookeyhookey Member Posts: 54
    Yoss, you need to keep to the facts. Some of them are on your side. Then you slip in some whoppers. How do you figure the Sub gets better mileage than the Seq? I've owned mine for 3,000 miles so far and am averaging between 16.5 and 17 miles per gallon. That's better than the Volvo I traded in for it (granted the Volvo was operating at less than optimal efficiency). The Sub can't touch that MPG. Also, the same argument you use about why the Seq shouldn't be compared to the Tahoe can be used for why it shouldn't be compared to the Sub (i.e. of course the Sub has more room behind the third seat, its a much longer vehicle).

The other thing that I think you are missing is the fact that it is the source of the engineering and design that is important in constructing a quality vehicle. The manufacturing location and the nationality of the people working the line is less relevant. In other words if the design is Japanese and the vehicle is built to Toyota Japan's standards, that matters more than where the plant that puts it together is located. On the flip side, the same vehicle is less costly if made in the USA because there is no duty paid, where the LC has a large one as well as higher shipping costs.

BTW, I drove both the Sub and the Tahoe during my purchasing process. Needless to say, the fit and finish in the Seq is vastly superior. Also, in my opinion the road and wind noise are quite minimal for a large truck. Not as good as the LC, but I paid $38.5k for my Seq, not $58.5K that one would pay for an LC.
    Well said !

I guess that Yoss must have confused my initial message wrt LC-vs-Seq. I did mention that the two are "arguably" similar in specs', but differ in cost. I am yet to receive my Seq. and when I do I will be in better position to evaluate the road and wind noise, etc. that have been pointed out here. WRT the LC being "bulletproof" while the Seq.'s reliability is questionable, only time will tell. Afterall, the LC has beena round since the early 50's and the Seq's total time of existence is, well... a little less than 3 months.. (September 21, 2000 debut)

Conventional wisdom will have it that if the manufacturer of the "bulletproof" LC and Forerunner, is the same as the Seq., then one can argue logically that ultimately the new Seq. will also be "bulletproof"; it is all a matter of time...
  • dav99dav99 Member Posts: 1
    After doing my homework at this site as well as others, I have finally made a deal for a Sequ SR5 with the following options: conv. pkg, pref. pkg, alloy whl pkg, dual air, spoiler, roof rack, toyo guard & a few other small ops.
    basically turning it into a poor mans Limited. anyways, I am in Georgia and got the price down to 35500. Is this good or could I do better?? Like most other places, I placed the order this week and will have to wait for a January delivery. Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • fanman8fanman8 Member Posts: 65
    First of all, the Suburban is in a class closer to the Excursion, not the Sequoia. The Ford Excursion has a 146 cu. ft. cargo area and the Suburban has 138 cu. ft.cargo area. These 2 are of the largest SUV's period. The Tahoe, and the Expedition are closer in size to the Sequoia for comparison data. That is why they are being compared to each other. Motortrend realized this hence they draw comparisons based on relative size.

Your biased opinion of the G.M line indicates to most of us on this post that the reliability of Toyota and of Japanese automobiles in general have little merit to you. Most people buy Toyota's, whether they are 60%, or a 40%Japanese/US hybrid because they have proven themselves repeatedly over the years to be superior in quality and reliability. That being said, Yoss, buy that Fantastic deal you can get on the Suburban and drive yourself over to the Chevy Suburban Posts where you would be a banner spokesperson for the all inferior domestic SUV's
    1) The Tundra was designed in the U.S. for the U.S. market by Toyota U.S. Minimal Japanese input. Ditto, even more so, for the Sequ. Neither of these vehicles will be sold in any great numbers outside of the U.S./Canada.
    2) The Tahoe has 104 cubic feet of cargo space. The Sequ has 128 and the Suburban has 138.
    According to what I learned in elementary school, the Sequ has 23% more interior space than the Tahoe. Yet the Suburban has a mere 8% more space than the Sequ. Which is closer to which?
    In addition, the Sequ has a greater curb weight than either the Tahoe or the Suburban.
    Are you guys really that pig-headed and biased that you will not even admit the Sequ is closer to the Suburban in just about EVERY category than the Tahoe. Shoot, the Suburban is even easier to park because it has a smaller turning radius.
    3) The Excursion? That thing has a turning radius over 50 feet I believe. Impossible to park. Virtually worthless. 10 mpg at best. Built on a heavy duty F250 pickup chasis. Only for the hard core.
    4) Gas mileage. I am willing to bet money here. The Suburban 5.3 engine gets either the same or better mileage than the Sequ. The Suburban does better than sticker (roughly 20 mpg on the highway), and I'm willing to bet a grand or two this will beat real-life Sequ mpg.
    5) Turning to comparing a Sequ to a Tahoe. Pick a model. SR5 at $38k or Ltd at $45? Comparably speaking, a comparable Tahoe will be $29-37, for a savings of at least 20%. Not a big deal you say? OK, what is 20% more than a Sequ? A LandCruiser. Same boat then, isn't it? Throw that into the pot when comparing full sized SUV's that are within 20-25% of the price of a Sequ.
    6) Fit and finish you say? OK, you got me. But why then is the Sequ so damn loud at highway speeds? Did Toyota neglect to fit a little sealant or sound-deadening material into the finished product? You have to admit, the noise is pathetic for $45k.
    Like it or not, a $37k Suburban LT at highway speeds is as quiet as a Caddy.
    And why so cheap of a dash and switchgear?
    Oh yeah, there are lots of complaints about rattles and loose stuff over on the Tundra board. I'm sure the Sequ is completely different though (yeah right).
    7) From my side of the fence, you guys are really starting to grasp now.
  • mulligan2mulligan2 Member Posts: 59
    Anyone who believes that the fact that the Sequoia is built in the US renders it more like the big three domestic products than the Japanese products need only drive a US made Accord or a Camry back-to-back with a Taurus or any GM sedan to realize that quality goes much deeper than site of manufacture. Better still, drive a five or six year old Accord then a Taurus or GM of similar vintage. Finally, compare the reliability record of those cars over the past five or six years and wake up and accept that without regard to where they are made, the Toyotas and Hondas are just better.

Also, the interior of the almighty Suburban is rather cheesy with a bulky steering wheel and a square and clunky dashboard. When I drove an LT, it accelerated better than my Expedition and handled about the same but the brakes were lethargic and had all the feel of a Peterbuilt.
  • classicdirectclassicdirect Member Posts: 2
    Da... The Sequoia does have more room than the Tahoe. And whoever said that the Suburban is $7,000 less hasn't shopped for one lately. To get what you get in the Sequoia LTD you have to buy a Tahoe or Sububan LT model. Both of those with moonroof, heated seats, etc. are far beyond 42,000 for 4x4. Some of these anti-Toyota people on here should do their research before spouting off their mouth.
  • baseballmom2baseballmom2 Member Posts: 3
    I would like to know if anyone has leased an SR5 and what are your monthly payments? Of course, this will vary depending on the options on the SR5 but I'm just interested in an estimated monthly cost as well as what is required upfront. Does Toyota offer any special incentives to current lease customers to do early lease termination? We have a Camry with 18 months remaining on lease.

My prior post was lost in the transition but I'm still interested in hearing from those owners with kids on how you like your Sequoia. Thanks!
  • yisteryister Member Posts: 5
    I agree that the Japanese built vehicles like the LC is much better than the American built cars. Which vehicle would you drive, the one made by people who will commit suicide because he embarrassed the company or the one who feels he still has a union job?
  • baseballmom2baseballmom2 Member Posts: 3
    My previous post has a blue oval delete symbol on it. I didn't notice this on any other posts. What is the reason for this? Thanks.
  • waldo6waldo6 Member Posts: 1
    Yossarian,

You are obviously in the market for a new Sequoia in the near future.
    Otherwise, you wouldn't spend as much time in the Sequoia topic as you do.
    Here's my take (let me know if I'm right): Your negative response to
    anything posted in this forum that even sounds positive about the Sequoia (or Toyota) is really intended to lure those who are "on the fence" away from the Sequoia. Then, as a result, the demand will go down and you will be able to work out a better deal (although, I doubt Cliff or Dianne will be willing to work with you). If that's not the real reason you post to this topic as much (or more) than anyone else, please explain your rationale.

Now don't get me wrong ... I am not convinced that the Sequoia is a
    problem-free vehicle or that will be perfect for everyone. However, contrary to your personal beliefs, it will fill the needs for many buyers better than any other vehicle on the market (bar none). Oh, by the way: I was in the market for a Sequoia ... that is, until I read your posts. You made me see the light (yea, right).

nos - Another thing ... this is my first time posting to this forum ... please be gentle with me.
  • mulligan2mulligan2 Member Posts: 59
    Yoss drives a Lexus LX470 and has to knock the Sequoia to justify the extra 20k that he spent on his ride.
  • auld_reekieauld_reekie Member Posts: 2
    I am in the process of deciding on a new vehicle. I have looked into the suburban, the Yukon and something completely different a Volvo cross country. I drive a mini van right now and I like the three row seating but don't want something as big as suburban. I will be driving in the snow but just in the city. Is it a good family car? It is easy driving? Is it good for city driving etc, etc.
  • toyotatoystoyotatoys Member Posts: 118
    My guess is that there are now about 7000 Sequoias on the road and I'm glad that quite a few of those owners are active in this forum.

Can any of you please comment on whether the clicking engine noise and "clunking" sound of the transmission frequently described in the Tundra forum are also as frequent in the Sequoias? I don't know how serious and annoying these sounds are, but what I am worried is that most people in the "know" describe this a normal.

I am planning to buy this baby anytime now, but I have reservations about this on a 35-35K vehicle. Thanks for your advice.
  • rah8rah8 Member Posts: 3
    Have you had time to post the picture of your new sequoia with the chrome wheels in the Tundra solutions board? Looking forward to seeing the combination. What color is your truck?
  • sender5sender5 Member Posts: 9
    you are really asking about 3 different types of vehicles. I currently own a volvo s70 wagon with the three rows. Great car and great in the snow.It really depends on how many kids or people you are carting around.My seven year old and her friends are fine in the third row but my eleven year old is too big. The volvo third seat is really for small kids. That is the reason we just ordered the sequoia. I have 3 kids and usually take 2-4 more carpooling. The volvo was too small. The suburban wouldn't fit in my garage. We looked for 6 months until we decided on the sequoia and never regretted our decision.Good luck!
  • richordrichord Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1996 Lexus LX 450 with 94,000 miles. I bought it new. So far, no problems at all.

I test drove the Sequoia and can't tell the difference in the ride. The Sequoia felt a little more "spongy" than my Lexus but seemed to handle the same.

Only significant difference I could find were the front seats. The LX 450 has more padding and they feel more substantial.

I'm thinking of selling the LX 450 and buying the Sequoia Limited.

Only thing wrong I found in the Sequoia was even with the JBL sound system, it stills sounds like crap. However the LX 450 system also sounds like crap!

regards,

Rich
  • drt54drt54 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of any availability of wood grain trim to replace the "hammered metal" around the console,radio,and on the doors? The factory supplied trim is rather unattractive.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    See:

http://customautotrim.com/wood-dash-kits/toyota_catalog_sequoia01.htm

I have no idea of how good these guys are; have never ordered from them before.
  • rufusedrufused Member Posts: 8
    When getting the Gold Package do you get all the letters,emblems ,and do you get the grill too. I can't seem to find a seq. with it done.
  • slickrockslickrock Member Posts: 60
    As many of you may have figured out by now, Edmunds has moved to new Town Hall software. In the process of moving over, they permanently lost all our posts made after post 234 on the old board (US built nonsense (mulligan2) Wed 13 Dec '00 (07:11 PM). That particular post is post 219 on this board, and all the lost posts fit between 219 and 220 on this board. Assuming this post works (aparently not a gimme), I may repost one or two of my lost posts that never really saw the light of air.

If others wish to do the same, the missing posts (and all the older posts) are still available at the old URL (http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?c=SUV&f=0&t=3403).
  • slickrockslickrock Member Posts: 60
    My first attempt at posting failed, but the second worked -- because I followed the instructions Pat's post 117 on the Welcome Page new board topic. For those of you who are lost in this maze, here it is:

#117 of 183 login problems/getting thrown to the welcome page when posting by pat HOST Dec 17, 2000 (08:24 am)
    You get thrown back to the Welcome page when your login session has
    (incorrectly) timed out on the webcrossing side of the house.

Very unfortunately, spending a long time creating a post seems to
    almost guarantee that webcrossing will time you out.

What you can do to protect your post (while we try to fix this):

Select and copy the post before you click on "post my message" - I am
    happy to find that Ctrl-A selects the whole post (unlike on WE where
    it selected the whole durned page). Ctrl-A to select all, then Ctrl-C
    to copy are now standard keystrokes for me when I finish a post.

If you get thrown back to the Welcome page when you hit post, just
    pick the conference you were in and return to your topic. You should
    now be able to paste your text back into the post box and post
    successfully. (Of course you have to retype your post title.)

If you forget to do all of this and end up at the Welcome page, don't
    forget you can use your browser's back button to get back to the post
    and copy it. Then go to the Welcome page (click on Town Hall in the
    upper left corner, or choose Town Hall Community Home from the drop
    down box), pick your conference from the list and proceed as I
    described above.

The Welcome page is the edmunds.com side of the house. You aren't
    getting logged out of edmunds.com - this is why when you go to that
    page it says you are already logged in. Entering conferences, um,
    message boards, from the Welcome page transparently logs you back
    into the webcrossing side.

It's been stated in this discussion many times that this is a known
    problem and will be fixed as soon as possible. I'm offering all of
    this hoping it is helpful in dealing with the issue in the meantime.

And I'll betcha that I'm getting ready to see the Welcome page right
    now! :-) Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, welcome page here I come!

YES indeed, that's exactly what happened! Spending a long time
    creating a post will get you every time.

Pat/Roving Host
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I do have a question. Why doesn't the topics I've been to get highlighted. And how do I access my preferences?
    Not my preferences. how do I access my bookmarks?
  • jam1000jam1000 Member Posts: 182
    Go to the topic called "New software -- all your questions answered" (or something like that). You're not the only one with these problems, and it looks like bookmarks are gone, at least for the time being and perhaps longer. It looks like the "upgrade" is going to take a while. I myself have been dealing with login schizophrenia.
    Thanks. I'll check it out. I never used the bookmarks in the past because topics fill too fast. I just relied on the topics being a different color if I went to them.
    I wonder when we're gonna talk about Seqouia again. Like somebody said before, maybe it's time to reconnect our cable TV....
    Sorry. I'm still getting over the shock. Most the topics right now are pretty dead. It will pick up shortly I'm sure.
  • cb19cb19 Member Posts: 8
    I live in Houston and am being held hostage by Gulf States Toyota. If I want side airbags I must purchase a limited with a moonroof and running boards and every other feature. This makes the MSRP $42,500 when all I want is a cloth SR5 with an air bag!

Can you get an SR5 with airbags in "free market" areas of the U.S.?

How could I get one shipped to Houston? I will be in Nashville for Christmas, does anyone have a dealer recommedation in East Tennesse?

By the way, the post about decreasing the wind noise by changing the fresh air/recirculate setting on the A/C is correct. It decreases the noise dramatically.
    I suggest that you try different dealers. I don't know what the deal is about side air bags. Some dealers told me I can't have it on an SR5, some said I can get it through preferencing. I have been also having a problem finding an SR5 with only the AH package and the GY option. Most of the SR5 units on the lots have all the Gulf States and dealer garbage on them.

Please share your Sequoia buying experience.
  • rruck1rruck1 Member Posts: 91
    I am close to purchasing a new Sequoia SR5 4X4 and had a couple of questions.
    Has anyone found dealers willing to work off invoice? The best I've been able to find is $2000 off list?
    What is the issue I have been hearing about wind noise at highway speeds?
    Any current owners have actual gas mileage numbers?
    Any general info/experiences with the Sequoia would be helpful
    Thanks
  • sender5sender5 Member Posts: 9
    I also wanted an sr5 with the side airbag option and all the dealers in my area said they only came on the limited as an option. I called toyota and they said that certain parts of the country get different options available on the sr5 and they put me in touch with a dealer in Phila. He ordered an sr5 for me with the airbags.For some reason my local dealer said he couldn't order it for me that way. This is the number for toyota that I called and they were very helpful. They also said it should be no problem to order an sr5 with the side airbags it would take probably 8 weeks at least however.1-800-331-4331 and press option 3. Good luck, I'll hopefully have mine in 4 weeks.I also got it for 2000 under msrp.
  • whatafeelingwhatafeeling Member Posts: 1
    We bought a Limited 4wd about 8 weeks ago. This is a great SUV...no comparison to the Explorer piece of crap I dumped. My 6 year old flips the seat to climb in the back with ease. My 3 year old sits in his car seat behind me. His feet can't reach the back of my seat when he doesn't like the toy in his happy meal. It cost an arm and a leg, but we justified it with the feeling that we will drive this one for a loooong time. We did not drive off the Ford lot 5 years ago with that feeling. Average MPG is 16.1 so far (mostly city). Only 2 complaints. The first one is the colors suck. If you don't like white or black, the pickins get slim. The green is too green. The blue is too blue. The gold is just plain ugly. We got the thunder grey, which changes color based on the light and angle. The second complaint is that the accessory outlet for the cell phone doesn't have constant power. When we forget to turn off the phone, the phone battery drains. This is pretty annoying. Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, we enjoyed the play!
    Any dealership can order an SR5 with side air bags. It isn't easy, not fun and you are looking at 6 to 8 weeks before you get it. Some dealerships will not do it. Contrary to some opinions, the Sequoia is selling at a brisk pace and some dealerships don't see a reason to bother with an order on a vehicle that will sell quickly for a large profit once it comes in. As I have said before, shop just as hard for a decent an honest dealership and salesman as you do for a price. Finally, remember that the best price isn't always the best deal.
    I was also told that I could not get the CQ on an SR5. Weird! Similarly, I could not get the AH package without the sunroof. Weirder!

I think the second issue is a distributor discretion. But I think the availability of the GY on any vehicle price range should be made easier. Toyota is supposed to understand that we are supposed to save our #@!, and those of our children too. This is an issue of need versus want. So the consumers should be given an easier choice, without having to wait for 8 weeks or spend $40-45K.
    Cliffy,

A dealership also told me that I cold not get the airbags on an SR5. I guess the logic is that people who cannot afford to pay $40-45k are not worth saving.

I was also told that I could not get the CQ on an SR5. Weird! Similarly, I could not get the AH package without the sunroof. Weirder!

I think the second issue is a distributor discretion. But I think the availability of the GY (airbags) on any vehicle price range should be made easier. Toyota is supposed to understand that we are supposed to save our #@!, and those of our children too. This is an issue of need versus want. So the consumers should be given an easier choice, without having to wait for 8 weeks or spend $40-45K.
    To those who have asked for this, here is mine (again):

First the preamble: I own a Silver Sky Seq SR5 with Titanium-colored leather seat and trim, and dealer-installed American Racing chrome wheels. The dealer charged $1500 for the latter on the sticker, although what I paid was far less...

Driving experience: So far so good. Yes, there is wind noise, and I plan to check the air vent system to see if it does reduce the noise a little. The car handles great, as expected. Other than wind noise, I have found no other driving-related problem with this vehicle. But, to my surprise, the CD player stopped working 2 days later. I have a replacement on order from the dealer, but I sure wasn't happy not being able to play my music for the past few days. I hope the CD player comes back soon...

On a different note, I've found people simply staring at the car with admiration :-) All my friends love the vehicle and some have actually taken it out for a test drive. I have a couple friends that are looking to get one soon.

One regret I have is that I never gave the Acura MDX a test drive. This car is simply too scarce to find at any local dealership here in San Diego. And without a test drive, I could not possibly plunk down $37K just like that. Maybe the MDX would prove to be a better overall value than the Sequoia, time will tell. In the meantime, I plan to enjoy this new car with the kids and we already have scheduled a trip to Vegas Xmas weekend... Should be fun :-))
  • vondrak1vondrak1 Member Posts: 3
    I live in Houston and I started reading this forum some 6 weeks ago. It has been a big help and after looking nationwide and with Cliffy, I closed a deal here in town on a 4x2 Limited. We had one item we didn't want, the rear spoiler and one we wanted, the side air bags. To give up the splr. we had to give up the SCAB's. (nice acronym, eh??) Why?? Because, I was told, that Toyota only ships them, per Gulf States specs, together even though they are seperately priced options. Gulf States can add a spoiler along with their other junk, but in the end, no SCAB's. cb..If you want to contact me offline, I will give you the dealers name. Good guy and their internet sales manager. fyi...I got the ltd with all stuff except splr and air bags and things like the gold package for <$40K. The next best deal in town was $41.5K. Call me and he might give you a pleasant surprize.
    Great job. I'm glad everything worked out for you locally. I really wish I had access to some 4x2s but as long as the 4x4s keep selling this fast in VA, I don't see it happening.