Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70

Comments

• jeepwmnzjeepwmnz Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2004 C70 that has been at Volvo service for about 8 times and finally was seen by the Regional Rep yesterday. The problem I experience is a shimmy/vibration at 50 mph that seems to go away at 70 mph. It is extremely noticable. The rep says that its the high performance tires and that I should get new tires - geez, it only has 10K miles! They say the tires "flat spot" when sitting for some time. Also, they claim the rotators on the rear need replacing but this won't correct or help the problem. He said basically this is what the convertibles are like. Anyone experience this type of problem?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    It is possible that the tires are flat spotted and that is what is causing the shimmy.
    Tires are not covered under warranty, but you may be able to get Volvo to goodwill some of the replacement cost.
    Volvomax: Thanks for your reply. Not sure I understand why I should replace these tires that I paid extra for in the first place?? It is driving me crazy!!
    You have a 3800 lb car resting on soft compound tires.
    The heat causes the bottom of the tire to deform.
    This happens if the car sits for a period of time.
    Normally, this deformation goes away when the tire heats up.
    Sometimes it is so bad that it won't go away.
    The tire is no longer round.
    Now, if the tires were flat spotted when you bought the car, then your dealer should get you another set of tires.

If this occured after you bought the car, then you will have to replace them yourself.
    Unless you can get the tire co to warranty the tires.
  • ehinsonehinson Member Posts: 1
    Hello all!

I have a 99 C70 Conv, 41k and running great.

The Trans fluid is smelling a bit old and starting to varnish so I am going to change it.

Question is, has anyone been able to locate a filter and pan gasket?

I called Autozone and they can't get them and AllData doesn't even show the filter.

Thanks.
    Save yourself the trouble and just get one from the dealer.
    Well, now the dealer is telling me that its a normal cowl vibration and the original C70 was a coupe that Volvo transformed into a convertible because the public out cry was so demanding for a convertible. They've corrected this by the new 2006 hardtop convertible. They keep adjusting the tire pressure and also recommend changing the tires to 15 inches - won't look too good though. Funny thing, I paid extra for these tires.......... :(
    Cowl shake is different from wheel vibration.
    Some cowl shake is normal to the C70 on bad roads.
    However, the steering wheel shouldn't shimmy.
    If the steering wheel is shimmying, then you have a tire issue.
  • starlifterstarlifter Member Posts: 5
    I have a windscreen and with the top up and the screen in the "fold down" position it makes a substantiasl storage shelf for hang ups.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,229
    Damn, wish I'd thought of that! It never crossed my mind to use the windscreen, :blush: Excellent idea.
  • crunchy72crunchy72 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2003 C70 HT convertible and we're lovin' it. The car is in beautiful shape with Moondust Metallic paint and a Sand top. We have the original sticker, and it's part of the basis for my questions.

I've read about the problems with the SC-901 on this and other boards. Ours doesn't play CD-Rs reliably or consistently and, of course, doesn't do MP3 or iPod. I haven't seen a lot of definitive answers about upgrades to this system.

The sticker says "w/Prewired Remote CD capability" Should I be able to find/see where the link for a remote changer is? I can't see anything in the trunk nor the glovebox. If the wiring is there somewhere, does anyone know of a currently available changer that works with the system? Thinking of something that will at least do CD-R if not MP3.

How about a replacement for the head unit? Where is the 4x100 amp? Would I need to replace the amp also if I replaced the head unit? (Not real knowledgable about the whole thing, as you can tell.) Would that kind of screw up the whole system? Has anyone tried a iPod interface? Is there a Navi system that pops up where the dash speaker is? Don't see it leted as an option for the 03.

On other fronts: does the windscreen help a lot, and is there another source besides a dealer? They seem kind of expensive. Are they well made and will last to justify the expense?

Has anyone had any experience with bras for the C70? I didn't see much and then started looking at the 3M film protection. If anyone has any experience with either, I'd be glad to hear it.

Finally, does a front strut tower help alleviate any of the shake? Enough to be worth it?

Thanks for listening. I'm kind of excited about this beautiful car.
    Congrats on your new to you C70. :) I can't answer all your questions, but I'll try on some of them. What problems are you having with the SC901? Mine plays CD-R's with no major problems. The only problem I've had with ones I've burned is if there are a lot of tracks, say 20+, it seems to get confused with starting at the higher numbers. If started at track 1, it will play all tracks if no interuptions. My WAG is most regular CD's don't go that high trackwise.

The "w/Prewired Remote CD capability" I think means the 6 disc changer can plug right into the head. You'll notice on the unit at the bottom left, buttons for CD-3 and CD-6. Believe you can only use Volvo's although an Alpine may work. The changer goes in the glove box.

No Nav that I'm aware of. I use a Garmin.

The windscreen IS expensive, BUT worth every dollar! Check Ebay, sometime they have them. But be very careful before buying one online. I think for MY02 or 03, Volvo changed the mounting holes in the rear seats. Check whether your car has a round hole, or a slot. The windscreen HAS to match the hole or slot. Some descriptions on Ebay say the screen will fit all C70's but it ain't so. The sloted one won't fit into the round hole and the round peg won't go in the slot. Don't have a clue why Volvo changed it. :confuse: :confuse: Mine has the slots.

Can't help on the bra or strut tower. Not aware of the shake with my MY99 LPT.
    There's a wind screen on Ebay now. Search using "volvo wind screen". Says for '01-05, so it may be the correct one. Maybe the change was made for MY01. Can't tell from the pictures. $265 with 6 hours to go.
    To answer your questions:
    There are no factory "upgrades" for the SC-901 radio.

The CD changer typically goes in the left side of the trunk. Alpine made them, but Volvo had a proprietary harness for them. I think Crutchfield may carry an adaptor.

There are aftermarket solutions for the radio, but they involve complete replacement of the entire system. Volvo audio systems were never designed to be mod friendly.

Nav was never an option for the old C70. The car was designed before it was available.

I don't like front end bras, they tend to scratch the paint. We don't use thw 3M film here in the desert as it has a propensity to yellow over time. Moondust is an excellent color for hiding chips and scratches in the paint.
    Front strut tower is a must.

Congrats on your new car!
    I was wondering what type of tires are on anyone's C70. I have the Pirelli 6000 and now the dealer says I should put all new ones on due to vibration problems I'm having. They suggest 18 inch; these are 17 inch. :sick: :mad:
    Volvomax, do you know why Volvo changed the mounting brackets from slots to the holes? :confuse: Just curious, because the slots seem to work fine on mine.
    Dunno.
    I think the new mounting brackets are less secure than the old ones.
    However, you can get either bracket thru the parts dept. They just screw into the car body.
  • 10scoachrick10scoachrick Member Posts: 74
    Sounds like a dealer who wants to unload some 18 inch WHEELS to go with the tires. Our C70 ride was improved by going to 16 inch wheels from our V 70. The larger wheel does not allow for enough air and sidewall flex, IMHO.
  • mamajenmamajen Member Posts: 5
    I am considering a 2002 volvo c70 with 41,950 miles. When I first saw it at the dealership, it would not start because the battery was dead. I drove another volvo c70, liked the looks of it but it seemed to have a humming noise coming from the engine (not a typical humming noise). I have read reviews on volvo in Edmund's and they concern me as the talk is about breakdowns, batteries going dead all the time, wind noise. Could you please give me some advice. I like the looks of the car buttttt would I be better to get the 2006 version and just lease it rather than purchase? I know I was reading reviews on the Jacquar and practically everyone suggested a lease to never buy a Jaq because of maintenance. As stated I have never owned a foreign car but at 57 I think it is time. Jen
    02 C70 is by and large a good car. The humming could have been the turbo, that is normal.
    Convertibles aren't known for being quiet, but the C70 is typically the quietest of the bunch.
    Obviously, the new car is a quantum leap ahead of the old, but there is little to no availability and since there are no deals on the new car, leases are quite expensive.
  • kimmcvkimmcv Member Posts: 3
    yes, I've had 2 replaced on my 2000 volvo c70. I received 2 rebates checks for both.
  • volvosaintvolvosaint Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 C70, and recently installed a set of Cooper touring tires, I can't recall the exact name, but they are H rated all-season tires, to replace summer Yoko AVS sport tires, which were super grippy but also noisy, and I wanted all season tires. They were reasonably priced, about 100/ea, for 225/45/17 size.

I don't think a larger dia. rim will cure vibrations. sometimes tires are hard to balance, or they don't know what they're doing. i would suggest swapping tires to different rims to try to make the balance easier to find. a larger rim will give you a harsher ride and a greater risk for damage from potholes. i think the 17 in 45 series tires are fine. i haven't driven a c70 with 16 in wheels, but they would be cheaper than 18 in wheels generally.
    Please respond quickly as I went to purchase a 2002 c70 convertible ht wariety yesterday. I had requested a copy of the service records from the previous volvo dealership in Florida. I had spoken with the service rep and had been told that all maintenance was done on the car, owner had hit something and had to have a new tire and front suspension as well as a motor mount. When I read the report, it mentioned water damage twice. I saw red flags due to hurricanes in the area. We called dealership and was told it was a windshield leak and that it had been repaired. Is this normal for a c70 convertible or should I keep walking. I realllllly like the car but I do not want a vehicle that may be defective. I have done my research and am impressed with the cars and of course volvo name. Also on the report was mentioned (2x's) front and rear suspension and ac mind. Please advise soon as I told the dealer that I would call this morning with a definitive answer. Thanks, Jerry
    I myself would stay away from purchasing this car. I hit a pot hole with my 2004 C70 and even though both tires and rims were replaced, the car vibrated at 50 mph and the dealer was never able to correct the problem. Luckily a new C70 came in and I purchased it and absolutely loved it. The top leaked in my old one too so my advice is find another one or else wait until you can get a 2006; you will be much happier!
    I would definately stay away from the C70. I have a love/hate relationship with mine. I love the car, but it's a PIECE OF JUNK. The 1999-2002 cars seem to be junk. I can't afford to get rid of mine b/c I have so many repairs that need to be fixed prior to selling it. There isn't enought room on this page to list all of the problems I've had with mine for a car under 67,000 miles!

The ONLY way I would buy this car if you love it is if the car had TONS of the original warranty left.
    I have taken the car through a car wash twice and it did not leak around the windshield, roof, etc. I was impressed as I have had 4 different convertibles and I was never able to take them through a car wash unless I took a towel along with me. Also, I have driven the car at 70 mph and did not feel any vibration as mentioned by a previous owner. So should I consider buying an extended warranty? If the extended warranty is recommended where should I look for one - online or from the dealer? The dealer warranty is quite expensive. I have never owned a volvo so I am anxiously awaiting your responses. Thanks again for your help. Jen aka Jerry
    If you really want the C70, BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY! They are SOOOO expensive to fix. Regarding the leaking, you shouldn't bring any soft top convertible through a car wash anyway. Part of the hassle of a convertible is that you need to hand wash them. I'm in shock when I see people bringing their convertible through a car wash.

The turning radius on the C70 is terrible. The C70 is a great weekend car. If you really love the car, get it, but be prepared to spend $$$ on it.
    So where would you recommend purchasing an extended warranty - online or dealership? Would you go with the 100K warranty? Haven't bought an extended before.
  • whecwhec Member Posts: 5
    I replaced OE tires on my 1998 C70 at 39,000 miles with Michelin 225/45ZR-17 Pilot Sport A/S. Chose A/S due to NW weather/driving conditions. Currently at 47,000 miles and very pleased with tires, especially in rain. :)
    Unable to turn ignition switch beyond position "I". Have full battery charge, limited lights work, but can't advance ignition and start car. Also noted steering is not locked. 4th of July weekend, so no ready assistance. Any quick fix ideas??? :sick:
  • morgenthalermorgenthaler Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2007 c70 targeted for a 9/6/06 delivery. While in Sweden last week I was visting friends near the Volvo plant in Udevalla. I managed with to get a tour of the factory where the C70 is produced. This car is literally hand built, with only 90 being produced each day. The tour lasted two and a half hours and I was able to get to talk with some of the employees on the production line. These people are taking a lot of pride in their work.

I had previously been supplied with the VIN number of the car I am buying and had it with me. I mentioned this to our tour director and the unit was actually in production on the day I was there. Once the vehicle was located we were taken to a separate area where the car was being fined tuned for the alignment of the top mechanism. Pictures were taken of us during the tour and I am waiting for them to be emailed to me.

I cannot say enough about the friendliness of the employees their willingness to share information about the car.
    make sure the shifter is really in Park, and the shifter button has released all the way.
    If not, this will prevent the car from starting because the car thinks it is in gear.
  • nickscottnickscott Member Posts: 3
    I picked up my 2006 c70 2 weeks ago. This car is beautiful. I bought a magic blue with the calcite cream leather interior. I must say everything is perfect about this car. The stereo is great, the nav system is so user friendly, my IPOD adapter makes listening to my music easy, the Volvo hands-free with bluetooth phone adapter makes it easy to keep in touch while on the road...and impresses others while in traffic and the car has good pick-up. The 18 inch Mirzam wheels look great and I love the way the Bi-Xenon Headlamps look during the day and night. I got mine fully loaded and it really is worth all the money I paid for it.
    This week I had to go to Volvo because I heard a strange rattling in my front driver's side tire and it turned out to be a loose bolt which they fixed. The one thing I noticed is when the top is down, right behind the rear seats, on the boot cover, there are two little circles that seem to be burn marks. They are, I think from the rear defroster being on and then opening the top. The boot cover must press against the heater for the back window defogger. Another convertible owner had the same occurence but her's were less pronounced than mine but she definitely had the same problem. Volvo is working on a fix and will replace the boot cover when they figure it all out. This problem would not deter me in the least from buying a c70 but I would not run the rear defogger and then open the top. Anyone else have this problem?...just curious.
    The circles are from the top mechanism pressing down on the boot cover.
    Volvo is working on new pads for that part of the top.
    Many Thanks for suggestions. Still "no-go" so local dealer ordered new "Ignition Lock Cylinder Assembly" ($128.87) from Germany and was just replaced ($180), and now all systems "GO". Claims they replace 5-6 of these locks a year. Car involved is a 1998 C70, 47,162 miles. Dealer not sure of cause of failure, but normally on higher mileage car. Certainly disables everything. Was lucky car in home garage at time. :(
  • smartkidsmartkid Member Posts: 5
    Its funny that the part is from Germany when Volvo cars are from Sweden. Maybe you should ask the dealer about the reliabiltity and safety of using this part with a Volvo.
  • toplessbisontoplessbison Member Posts: 3
    I just bought an '01 C70 HPT (50K miles) and need advice on 3 things:

First - does the High Pressure Turbo require premium fuel? I'm hearing that it does not. In fact a salesman at a Volvo dealership told me that they sell all new volvos with a tank of regular fuel.

Second - is the windscreen worth the investment? And how would you describe the effects of the windscreen?

Third - what other questions should I be asking about this car? (common problems with the '01, etc)

Thanks for your help & comments!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    I ran regular gas in my T5 (same engine as the HPT) for the last couple of years I owned it with no adverse effects whatsoever.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I've got the LPT and use Plus, the midgrade. When I picked the car up from the dealership, the saleman said it had a full tank of premium, but it would probably be the last tank full because the car will run fine with Plus or even Regular. Have never used Regular, but can't really tell the difference between Plus and Supreme.

The windscreen, on the other hand, makes a BIG difference. It's pricey....but worth it. It really should be a standard feature and not an option. Sometimes they can be found on Ebay. Just be sure you buy the right one. Around 01/02 Volvo changed the mounting holes in the back seat above the rear lights/speakers from a slot to a hole. I don't remember which year. My 99 has slots. The metal slide on the screen MUST have the proper end. The two are not interchangeable.
  • tsk1tsk1 Member Posts: 31
    How were you able to arrange the Udevalla factory tour. We pick up our OSD C70 the day after yours (9/7) and would love to arrange any tour of the C70 plant.

Also how did you get your VIN# so early. We are only two weeks away and still haven't received our VIN.
  • morgenthalermorgenthaler Member Posts: 19
    We were visiting friends in Vanesborg on 6/27/06 and as we drove into town I realized we were only a few miles from Udevalla. The husband works for Volvo Aerospace and I asked him if he had any connections with them to arrange a tour. He was successful in arranging a tour on 6/29/06 for us. As I understand it they don't normally give tours at this plant, but we had a 2-1/2 hour tour. The plant is 60 percent owned by Pinafarina and 40 percent by Volvo. It was a fabulous experience.

My dealer had emailed me the VIN number before we left in early June for Europe, and I had my laptop with me and wrote down the number before we went into the factory. I asked them as we were given protective clothing and goggles if the VIN number was in their system, and they looked it up in the computer system and told me it was being produced that day.
    Me again - topless bison. Thanks for the comments on the windscreen and gasoline. I haven't plunked down the $$ yet for the windscreen, but likely will thanks to your feedback. :) And I've decided to compromise and put midrange gas in the C70 and have enjoyed good performance so far. OK, here's my question. My 2001 C70 HPT has no Volvo nameplate on the trunk. Does anyone know if there were cars produced this way, or does it likely indicate an accident occurred and the namplate was not replaced? Can't figure it out and need your advice. :confuse: Thanks - TB.
  • volvo_drivervolvo_driver Member Posts: 34
    What iPod adapter did you get? Is it the FM transmitter cradle that Volvo mounts to the left driver side dash? I'd love to hear what you have and all of the details of how you like it, it's placement and how it works. My only frustration with my '06 C70 is not having my iPod to use in it.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, folks,

I've started a new topic for discussing audio questions and solutions here: Volvo C70 Audio/MP3/iPod Questions

You may notice that a few posts have been moved over there to get the topic started.

Need help getting around? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

TB, keep looking on Ebay for the windscreen. Can save some $$$, Just make sure the brackets are correct. Not sure when Volvo moved their name to the center of trunk lid from beneath the left tail light. Does your 01 have nothing or is it beneath the tail light?
    Tmart - thanks for the response. My car has no "Volvo" nameplate on the rear of the car. It does have "C70" on the right side beneath the tail light. Ideas?
    Hmmmm, I guess the previous owner could have removed it, could have come off by itself, although unlikely, or maybe it was in a fender bender which you mentioned. Intresting that the "Volvo" is missing but the "C70" is there, where it should be. Buy the center name, put it on the trunk, and you'll have a "newer" model. ;)
    The adapter is exactly what you stated. It is mounted on the left side of the dash.
    The placement is a bit unusual. Reaching to change songs or turn on the backlight for my iPod can be a bit distracting. iPod's come with remotes and this moght be a good application for it. Unfortunately I have not gotten a chance to try but I will soon.
    What color c70 do u have?
    I've only met one woman that had a '06 c70 in light blue...and that's it. I would love to meet others with one.
  • barbie011barbie011 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I also have the navigation system and the premium sound with the blue-tooth. My blue-tooth was only working in the rear speakers and they have been trying to order the right part to fix this. Do you have the premium sound system and how is the sound through the blue-tooth?

Thanks
    Hello Barbie011,

My blue-tooth is really clear and it plays through the front speakers also. I do have the premium sound system which sounds great with the top down or up. I like to turn on the subwoofer to give the bass a boost. I have never heard of your particular problem but my dealer has been very responsive to any problems I've encountered so I am sure they will figure it out. Let me know how it goes....