Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• gedmundscgedmundsc Member Posts: 29
    Cliffy1 - read your posts on the other board Sequoia 4WD or something like that to better understand the 4WD button with transfer in H. Here is the situation I encountered the other day, my driveway is sloped and was ice covered. I had the 2001 Sequoia in H, with the 4WD button activated, 4 green lights indicating the wheels were lit on the dashboard (no blinking center red light). I slowed to almost a stop as I cleared the mirrors on each side entering my garage. I now have the two front wheels on dry cement and the two back wheels on ice. As i step on the gas, lightly because I'm entering the garage, the back wheels spin and simultaneously hear the antilock brakes making that gravely sound when they come on. I immediately let off the gas, but I'm a bit confused, if the two front tires have traction, why are the back two spinning? I was still moving forward rather slowly, but the antilock sound and spinning tires kept making me let off the gas.

My question(s) - what the heck was going on here and is this the way the system is suppose to work? Did I do the right thing in letting off the gas, or should I have continued with the gas lightly pressed until the back wheels entered the garage? Should I have backed down the driveway, put the transfer into L and shifted to L1 or L2, then drove back up the driveway?

I've played around w/the Sequoia this time last year in a snow covered parking lot and had a blast (Posted to this board), ya can't do donuts in the snow with the 4wd activated, system takes over, dethrottles and puts you in a nice controlled turn - works great. But this one threw me with the wheels spinning and antilock kicking in.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    First of all, not anti-lock, although it feels exactly the same. What you heard was the brakes be used in anti-spin mode. In AWD mode your Sequoia uses braking to apportion engine torque to the wheels/tires with the most traction.

In the mode you were using, "open center diff'l" all wheels will recieve equal torque as long as all tires have roughly equal traction.

With an open center differential, as is the Sequoia in this mode, if a tire or tires have greatly differing traction coefficients then ALL engine torque will go to the wheels/tires with the LEAST traction. Note that this circumstance almost always results in severely limiting the engine TORQUE available overall.

Sorta like having the car in neutral and reving the engine.

Your Sequoia AWD mechanicals did exactly what could be expected as did the Trac electronics. The purpose of the electronics braking the rear wheels is to allow the engine to build torque rather than just RPMs.

In your particular circumstance the traction coefficient front vs rear was radically different. The Trac would then use the most extreme measures to overcome that disparity.

Constant "growning" of the rear brakes would undoubtedly persist until the rear wheels also reached solid "ground".

Just as I believe cliffy said earlier, the thing to do is very carefully "feather" the throttle when this circumstance occurs. Or you could back away, shift into 4L and transmission shifter into L and drive slowly intoi you garage.
  • robertbickrobertbick Member Posts: 28
    How would 4L help? In a scenario like this wouldn't locking the diff be the best solution?
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    Does everyone have to have 300+hp? I'm so sick of people looking at the Sequoia's hp numbers and automatically stating, "weak engine" or "very slow" etc. Have these people even driven this truck. I've had many a vehicle and the Toyota has never had me wishing for more power. If I towed something heavy than I might want more power but I don't.

I was on the Armada board and got into it with them. Has anyone seen the new Nissan? I didn't even have to drive it. It was so cheap I couldn't bring myself to even ask because I knew I would never buy one.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember that the Sequoia center diff'l doesn't lock unless the transmission shifter is at "L" and the mode is 4L.

Don't have the owner's manual handy at the moment.
    Strange world, really.

Lexus is touting the new RX hybrid as having the performance of a V8.....

I think the majority of us, those willing to pay extra for a "green" vehicle, would be very satisfied with an I4 ICE and 40HP electric yeilding close to current V6 performance.

But then there's the Cayenne twin turbo SUV, now THAT"S excessive HP.
  • raddboyraddboy Member Posts: 3
    Relax and spend less time on the "Off-Brand" boards. :^) You'll just cause yourself aggravation. Seriously though, Edmunds just did a test between the NEW Nissan Armada and the OLD design Sequoia...guess who won?
    http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/100618/article- .html
    It's all good friend and these large SUVs are fun each having strong and weak points. I pull a 24' camper behind my Sequoia and it does just fine as it's within the published weight limits. Anything much heavier though and I'd probably have to consider the Armada.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I drove both the 2wd and 4x4 Sequoia and felt they needed more engine power. I think I know why. In order to get the truck moving I had to push down on the gas much harder than I am use to. It seems like the engine has to rev higher to reach cruising speed in normal traffic. The gearing in the Sequoia is lower - a 4.1 rear end (?)VS the 3.42 that I am use to. I am not saying this is all bad - it would just take a few hundred miles behind the wheel to get use to. I am guessing many other people have the same seat of the pants feeling when they drive the Sequoia.
    Is the Sequoia E-throttle???

If so gas pedal position may not directly relate to actual throttle opening. Remember that fuel economy is a big issue for the industry, especially SUVs, and if the numbers can be improved by having non-linear throttle response then so be it would be their attitude.

Also remember that with an e-throttle the rate of depression can be used to determine if a downshift is/will be desired and that may delay actual throttle opening to "soften" the downshift.
    I always found the Sequoia's throttle very responsive. Never felt like it was slow to get going. Even after getting out of my Maxima I don't notice any lag. For a truck it's size, it's always felt responsive to me.
    I am not talking about the effort required to push the gas pedal down. Maybe I can explain it better - I "normally" push the gas pedal down 25% (all the way to the floor would be 100%)to get going from a stop sign. With the Sequoia to get the same movement I need to push the pedal down 45%. I am not saying the Sequoia is slow, but that you need to "give it more gas" to get moving. But like I said - if you drove it for a few days I think it would start to seem normal.
  • stevek80stevek80 Member Posts: 64
    I don't think I really understand how this system works. We have to climb a slight uphill driveway. With the current Ford Explorer in the snow/ice my wife usually tries to climb the driveway just to see if she can do it and gets about 1/2 way up before the back end kicks out. She hits the 4x4 button and she climbs right out. What would happen in the Sequoia? Normal mode.. back tire would spin.. I'm guessing.. and VSC would jump in and give her a heart attack.. right? Would she then hit the 4x4 or AWD button and drive right out or would the VSC try to compensate?? This is confussing especially after reading about how pulling into a driveway with front tires on dry ground and back on ice wouldn't pull the vehicle..
    Shall we assume that means the AWD mode or RWD like the explorer example?

Of course if RWD only it will do exactly like the explorer, the rear end will "kick" out. Assuming "kick" out means trying to come around to the front, over-steering.

If in AWD and since all four wheels have roughly equal traction you may never have VSC/Trac activation at all. It may just simply amble up the driveway as does the exporer in 4WD.

But.

If in the process of coming up the driveway one tire hits an especially slippery spot then the VSC/Trac will likely activate and apply moderate braking to that wheel only to prevent it from spinning/slipping and therby limiting the engine torque to the wheels/tires still maintaining traction.

Most Californians would step harder on the gas the instant the vehicle starts to lose forward momentum. In this circumstance that is ALWAYS the wrong thing to do. If that is done in the Sequoia you will quickly find yourself fully dethrottled. When you hear the VSC/Trac activation in this circumstance the correct thing to do is to lift your foot from the gas feed long enough for the tire(s) to regain traction, then reapply the gas "tenderly", "feathering" the gas as some would say.

If you suspect those activaties might lead to an actual heart attack, or even her becoming a nervious wreck then the best thing to do is buy her some "tract time".

Find a large emply parking lot covered with snow and ice. Not let her have the wheel and experience the VSC/Trac activity enough times that she becomes familier with it.
    Thanks wwest.. Would it make ANY difference if the center differential was locked or unlocked? Also, I'm still looking for a reason why the "two front wheels in the garage and two back wheels on ice" didn't allow the truck to pull it's self in without a problem? I have found times with my Suburban where I start spinning my back tires.. I hit the 4x4 button and away I go.. Never has the 4x4 not been able to move me. It doesn't seem the Sequoia will do that or works that way in certain situations??
    With a locked center diff'l it doesn't matter how hard or how long you mash the gas pedal to the floor, you could feather it and move slowly and sedately into the garage, or you could floor it and end up on the other side of the garage.

Thinking of it this way, with the brakes being used to apportion torque let's say you "gun" it and start the wheels spinning. The instance a tire, or tires, gain traction the brakes would be quickly applied to the wheels still spinning. How long do you think it might take to over-heat those brakes, and maybe warp the rotors to boot, in this circumstance?
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    Just put it in 4WD and leave it there. If you get stuck, then lock the center diff. You're not going to overheat anything anytime soon.

I don't even drive in 2WD anymore. No problems. Your brakes will only activate if you are spinning a wheel. If you have half decent tires you won't do much spinning anyway.
    pschreck.. Do you notice any more fuel usage running in AWD all the time? My ABS on the Suburban use to come on almost any time I stopped on wet roads. I changed my tires to Cooper tires and no more problems with the ABS. Actually it's not a problem just hate hearing the ABS kicking in so much. When in 2wd mode if a wheel spins on the Sequoia does the ABS kick in on the spinning tire to allow the opposite side to "catch up"? Do people find this annoying? Does it happen often enough to be a consideration? I've read where people are tring to figure out a way to disengage it.. Common problem on the older trucks or same issues with 2004's too? Thanks in advance for the info.. 8-)
  • twinbladesztwinbladesz Member Posts: 104
    Yes the Seq won that comparison by a mere 7 points. But think about this. It was a Limited 4x4 Seq against an Armada Pre production 4x2 SE with the Offroad Package. If a pre production Low Rung Model Armada can come THAT close to beating the Top model Seq (Which trounced the Expy and Tahoe) how well will the full production Armada do in another comparison? Actually for its HP rating the Seq has very good torque which makes it run better then Fords 5.4L with the Expy's weight taking away from its engine power. Excellent vehicle the Seq is. For a person with a hefty trailer though it might not be an option though. I've seen enough Seq's moving to know its engine is not weak. I think they understate its rating.
  • stakeoutstakeout Member Posts: 173
    what I'm still trying to figure out.. why the standard Sequoia has a 4.10 rear...no option out of it.. we have two 'burbans that are going off lease soon.... my Z71 came with a 4.10 rear.. didn't need it.. was the only one around in the color I wanted at the time so I took it....

most other SUV's have 3.73 or 'higher' gears ( like 3.42 etc)... the average driver who never goes off road or pulls a trailer doesn't need it.. so why does Toyota saddle the Sequoia with it.. hampers gas mileage by at least 10%.. or at least that's what we see on our two alike 'burbans with different rear end gears..

but then again I guess it could have been worse.. they could have made it to use High test..

is that the reason for the low gearing??.. more ooomph... if it is.. it's a poor one.. but that's another one of my pet peeves for another time.. if they can get 345 hp out of a 6.0 liter GM motor in the Escalade with regular gas why can't they do a bit better in the Sequoia's motor and still use regular fuel..

HOST..maybe I missed it.. but Edwards doesn't list the rear end ratio gears under new car specs.. had to get them from the other guy--as in 'BlueBook' :)
    I think Edmunds took those facts into consideration. The limited is no different than the SR5 except for trim and a few options that don't affect performance. The Armada, while pre-production, shouldn't differ that much from a production example. Everytime a magazine tests a preproduction car from Nissan they always end up complaining about something (like the nav door on the Z). Nissan always states that it's preproduction and the problem will be take care of. Surprise, it is never "taken care of). That is, until the next model year.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    What is Edwards??? :-)

Consider using the Feedback Form.

tidester, host
  • stakeoutstakeout Member Posts: 173
    it's the opposite of 'da'Bluebook' guys..

mea culpa.. mea culpa.. will do on the feedback..

thanx
  • watchdog3watchdog3 Member Posts: 29
    First let me say I am HARDCORE Toyota fan. I own 3 Landcruisers, 1985,1988,1991 plus a 1990 Cressida for zipping around. However, I may be in the market for a new SUV and was really excited about the Sequoia. Perfect size, nice looks and best of all Toyota. So I took out a 2001 Sequoia Limited AND a 2000 Landcruiser for a test drive Saturday. What was Toyota thinking? The interior is without a doubt vastly inferior to the Landcruiser and downright CHEAP! From the dash to the center console to the vinyl sides of seats with leather faces. For $46-48K IMHO it is OVERPRICED! The Landcuiser is also overpriced relative to other vehicles but at least it exudes quality. I would again consider a LC this time around but need more room with the kids. So....I went to try the Suburban afterward. First let me tell you it pains me to admit that this but they have a superior interior to the Sequoia but still inferior to the Landcruiser.

Overall the Sequoia has a slightly quieter ride than the Sub. But the GAP is very close between the two. Nowhere near what I thought I would experience. However, with new 2003 4X4 Subs being discounted $12K to the $35K range it seems like the edge goes to the Sub....unless I can get a real steal on a low mileage 2003 Sequoia. As far as resale goes. Again the gap has closed. 2 year old Subs retain a very large percent of their TRUE original purchase price value. Nobody ever pays even close to MSRP for Subs.
    Still if a just before production bottom rung model can get that close. I'm not sure how much they tested them offroad with that 4x2 Armada. Still they did say the Seq is getting long in the tooth. The Seq is an excellent vehicle I think Toy needs to go over its HP numbers again. From all the reviews I've read about it they all say that it has way more power then that 240 they give it.
    that the Nissan would fare very well, if not better than the Toyota since they've had plenty of time to probe the competitions weaknesses. Nissan did a good job, but didn't take advantage of the competitions cheap interiors. A shame, because it is a deal breaker for me.

If Toyota can give the next Sequoia a 4Runner quality interior than it will be first rate. I also expect more HP in a 5.5L+ engine with the excellent 4.7 as the standard motor.
    I like the Armada's interior although it did take me a bit to find a good number of them since I test drove it at night. But once I got the hang of where things were not a problem. Great sounding radio easy to reach if unlit controls for the Radio and the CC on the steering wheel was a bit of an oversite Then again lol half the Steering wheel mounted lights on my Explorer are out so why am I complaining.
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    Since you own 3 landcruisers, you MIGHT be a little biased towards them, eh? Also, $45K-$48K for a 2001 Sequoia Limited?!?!? Where are you shopping? Oh, okay. You're looking at a 2001 and using 2004 pricing? But what is the real acquisition price for the Sequoia? Come on, you're giving credit to the Suburban for discounts, what about the Sequoia? Does anyone pay full price? About the interior, most reviews I've read say that the GM interiors are VERY outdated. Sure the Seqouia could be better but this is basically a subjective judgement..so..to each his own. In the grand scheme of things, the BIGGEST consideration I have when analyzing a vehicle is RELIABILITY and QUALITY. These are the true VALUES of any vehicle when it comes to stranding myself or my family on the side of the road. Every year, the big domestic manufacturers claim that the gap is closing. Yeah, whatever..... I still see big black dots on most GM products and red dots on Toyota products when looking at Consumer Reports reliability data. It's across the full product line! Even if the big three drew even with Toyota/Honda on quality....give me a call in a few years when you've done it consistently! Until then, I'll pay double for my Toyota, if I have to, to get a reliable vehicle.
  • 2heeldrive2heeldrive Member Posts: 87
    First impressions can be deceiving. GM has done a good job with the interiors on the Suburban family, but take a 2nd look. All of the GM "Suburbans" use a bare minimum of leather on the seats and don't use any leather at all on the third seat. The Sequoia, like most manufacturers, uses leather and vinyl on the seats but uses more leather than the GM family (on headrests and arm rests for example). Note too that all of the seats in the Sequoia recline, not so in the Subs, only the front. And also note that the Sub third seat is a solid bench and is a bear to get in and out (they even had to put little wheels on it). And I found the front seats to be very uncomfortable. Another interesting comparison would be to try and find an '85, '88 or '91 Sub and take it for a drive. Compare it to your fleet of vintage Toyota iron. Getting away from the interior for a minute, Did you know that the Sequoia and the LC share the same Lexus derived engine? And did you want full time 4WD like your LC's? ... not available in the Sub.
    I only lose about one mpg.

My ActiveTRAC system (you call ABS) almost never activates. Heck, I'm still running the original tires. I don't know where you are, but maybe you will need a set of dedicated snow tires during your winters. Our winters in south central PA aren't that severe.

I'm not sure why people want to disengage it. If they are having some kind of problem, I believe it's related to the VSC.

As the Ronco guy says, "Just set it and forget it".
    Alright, I will retest the vehicles. However, I am resolute in my opinion that the interior is cheap for I have seen first hand. I have been considering used models due to the price of new. I have also read other owners who feel the same

To those of you that do own the Sequoias,here are some issues which I have noticed from other owners on several discussion boards elswhere. Look....I am biased for this vehicle but do have serious reservations about spending hard earned money and then be disappointed given my HIGH expectations after having owned Landcrusiers. So if anyone can shed some light on these items I would be grateful.

1) A/C Issues: many complaints
    2) Rotten Egg Smell: Cat Coverter issue
    3) Vibration at 35-45mph under floor: Many comments
    4) Faulty Brakes:
    5) Stiff Brakes:
    6) Misc rattles
    7) Wheel Balancing
    8) Differential Issue on some 2003's
    9) U.S. Build quality: No way around it
    We live in Connecticut so I would assume you get about as much snow and ice as we do.. I feel that when it's snowing out putting in AWD makes sense. When you on dry roads then why? My concern just happened this morning. Most of the snow is gone but there are some ice patches. I backed out of my garage and started to move forward when the back tires were sitting on ice. My own driveway is pitched back.. not much but melting water does pool a little in this spot. Anyway, I step on gas and tire spin.. I feather gas and still slippage.. I hit 4x4 button and pull right out.. I'm curious what the Sequoia would do.. This was a VERY SMALL weather related driving condition.. I'm curious if the Sequoia would have spazzed, ABSed, VSCed the truck to get me to move..
    1)The A/C issues are a thing of the past. Early design was bad.

2)No smell in my vehicle, though a common issue with many new cars.

3)Vibration - seems a 2003 issue, my 02 has none

4)Again, no issue. But, it seems like many new vehicles have brake issues. Since late 2002 Toyota has upgraded all front brakes in Sequoias

5)Brakes are not over-boosted and may take some getting used to depending what your familiar with. Regardless, stopping distance is good.

6)No rattles in mine at 17,000 miles. If you want to hear rattles go to the Ford Expedition forum

7)Every SUV I've owned was a pain to balance right. Get a road force balance and no problem

8)Differential - see vibration

9)US build quality - not an issue, I've found the Sequoia to be comparable to all the other Japanese vehicles I've owned. Just as good.
  • snapshot7snapshot7 Member Posts: 15
    Sorry to say that after considering all the options, pluses, and minuses I've decided to get a 2004 Z71 Tahoe over a Sequoia.

I was considering the 4Runner but it is just too small for me. The Sequoia is big enough but it doesn't have that "manly" appearance that the Z71 Tahoe does. Since I'm single and this SUV will be my day-to-day driving vehicle I wanted something that had all the features, power, room, and presence that suit my needs.

While the Sequoia is an excellent vehicle it is also a "soccer mom" SUV. The Z71 Tahoe is far more masculine in appearance.

It has good resale and reliability. I currently drive a 1996 Blazer that has been great. Since this vehicle will be used for far more than basic transportation I wanted something that made a statement.
  • quesera1quesera1 Member Posts: 18
    I'm no rough hewn lumberjack but I've always felt my own masculine appearance more than compensated for the girly Sequoia's looks. You certainly do make "quite a statement", snapshot7. It reminds me of all these recent hyper-macho truck ads, Dodge being at the forefront but Ford and Chevy not far behind. The ad tactics seem to have worked on the target market, those challenged and confused by their own gender/sexual identity issues, not that there's anything wrong with that. Design aesthetics are one thing certainly, but clearly some deeper force is at work here. Good luck with all your endeavors, Happy Holidays, and thank you for such fine entertainment.
    Someone has a self-image problem. "Soccer mom SUV!" Most of us don't define our masculinity buy the vehicle we drive, if that were the case than there are some manly women around my area, since most big SUV's are driven by women. snapshot7, seems like you would be better off in an H2 since they were designed specifically for people seeking to compensate for their inner woman! HAHA
  • snapshot7snapshot7 Member Posts: 15
    Gee...

Sorry if I offended anyone.

I have no problem with my identity.
    I'm a big black man and I need a big black truck. And a "black chevrolet" works for me. As I also said, I've got a chevy blazer now and I like them. Add to that I'm getting an awesome deal because of the company I work for and the choice was even clearer.

This vehicle WILL be a statement. At $40,000+ I decided to get something that performed AND looked exactly like I want. The Sequoia is a fine SUV and I'm sure it does great on those hazardous trips to the supermarket.
    :-)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Around my neck of the woods, the Sequoia reads less of a "soccer mom" than the Tahoe reads "buy-American redneck". Probably neither deserves the bad rap. And I live in a glass house, with a Spa Yellow Honda S2000 instead of a manly, I mean rugged, I mean rattle prone black Corvette!

Seriously, Happy Holidays and enjoy your new Tahoe. Just don't run over any yellow S2000's, please!
  • thirdsuvthirdsuv Member Posts: 209
    Did you take your tape measure over to the Chevy dealer?

Seq is wider then Expy and Tahoe (66.1/65.5/66.0)
    ====================
    As for safety features, does the Sequoia have both side air bags and curtain bags?

Yes
    ======================
    Is the curtain bag even available at this time in any great numbers?

I got it at my dealer
    ========================
    It wasn't on any of the Sequ's at the dealers near me.

Your dealer made a bad purchasing order.
    ===========================
    Doesn't the Chevy have side air bags and seat belt pretensioners?

Chevy does not have head airbags. Ouch.
    ==========================
    Isn't the Chevy considered to be one of the safest vehicles on the road?

Yes when you consider how resistant to rollover it is when it is broken down in your driveway.
    ==========================
    How about trying some objectivity there, third SUV, or at least a swig of some alcohol.

Gulp..Gulp...Gulp....Buuuuurp
    ===========================
    The people on the Tundra Solutions board are a lot more objective and accurate.

I count my accuracy at around 6 out of 7
    Yours about 1 for 7

I never promised to be objective. But after owning an Explorer and Expedition for the past 8 years I'll give my opinions
    ========================

Cheers
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    I think how you feel about the looks of the vehicle is an important componet of a vehicle purchase, not to mention how you precieve it looks to other people, how many men on this forum would buy a VW Cabrolet if they were looking for a convertable. A good car but the preception is that is is driven by young women. How you feel about you car is a personal decision and best left up to the purchaser. Along with my Seq my other car is a Toyota MR2 Spyder.
    Hey cliffy,

I took my 2001 Sequoia into the dealership yesterday for a lube and oil change and the service writer said that Toyota was recommending a brake fluid flush and change at 20k which I hadn't had done yet. He said it was only recommended for the 2001 MY.

Is he feeding me a line or is this a needed service?

As always, thanks.

I would ask the dealer just what was done wrong at the factory for the MY2001 that causes the brake fluid to be compromised at 20k (vs "others"). Seems to me the factory should be paying....
  • teamgomezteamgomez Member Posts: 17
    Just dumped the kid's college funds on a LTD Sequoia yesterday. New member here and I have a couple of questions:

1. I wondered if anybody knew about Toyota oil quality vs Mobil 1?

2. I will do all service, was surprised to see 6 month oil change interval mandate in service guide- any experience with dealer not supporting warranty work if oil wasn't changed on 6 month interval (if < 5k miles driven)? Seems like environmental irresponsibility to throw out good oil...

3. The owners manual doesn't describe the Service engine lite well- does that come on every 5k miles or just when there's a problem.

Thanks all- have a happy new year!
    I was wondering how numerous loaded SR5's are. I've been toying around with trading in my 2002 SR5 for one with more options. The SR5 is a much better value than the limited. Another area of concern is the trade. According to Edmunds, trade in value is just under $30,000. If I can get into a loaded 2004 SR5 4WD for @$38,000 I would go for it. Any thoughts?
    You have an SR5 so you know what you have. When I test drove the Sequoia I drove two different SR5 models at different times along with a Limitted the second time. Both SR5's with the cloth interior were not comfortable. The arm rests on the SR5's where two high up.. if that makes sense. After the first test drive I said I wouldn't buy this truck because of that.. But I didn't like the Ford's or Chevy's either so I came back for a second look. The arm rests on the factory leather seats in the Limitted were setup better. I don't know if you ordered the leather package direct from the factory would you get the same seats as the Limitted. I would assume so but the dealer said they can change a cloth SR5 to leather locally so if they found a truck with all my options except leather they would convert it.

People keep saying the SR5 is a better option. The limitted was $2377 more that the SR5 for which you get alluminum rims, retractable mirrors and a sharper looking interior. If you don't need that so be it but "much better value" it's not.
    I don't even use them. They're too narrow and too high.
    My point exactly.. BUT they are different in the Limitted or in a different location. I use mine in my Suburban and it makes for a much more comfortable ride on long trips. I rented a Nissan Murano while my truck was getting repaired and that's when I noticed how much difference they make. Does your SR5 have the leather package from the factory?
    Mine's cloth. I might even condider a Limited if I could manage a trade and still be within $10,000. But, I think I would probably be in the 11-12 range. Plus, I'm not sure how fair they'll be with a trade. Edmunds says one thing, but you know what happens when you get there.
    It seems like most dealers I have talked to will deal more (as in give a bigger discount) on the SR5. Not sure why - but my guess is they normally have 5-10 SR5 models on the lot for every 1 Limited. Same thing with Toyota rebates - they have been on the SR5 model only.
    Fully equipped SR5's are not easy to come by, as I found out. I just got a Limited for right around invoice. Even though there is more competition, the supply of Sequoia's is still low, but they will deal if you're patient.
    Stevek80, what would you rather have if you could only have ONE. Sub or Sequoia. I am struggling with the decision. New, there is not much of a gap. Used, you can find 01 Subs loaded up with under 40K miles for under $26K. 01 Sequoias with under 40K with leather are $31-32K. That is a $5-6K difference.