Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• husky92husky92 Member Posts: 56
    Those are some pretty siginficant changes. Hard to believe they would do a complete redesign in '06 given the scope of the changes. I really like the gas mileage improvement, probably due to the 5 speed tranny and the power increase. Any idea if towing capacity goes up?

Regarding the rear air suspension. I test drove a '99 LX470 when we bought our '03 Sequoia and felt the suspension was kind of mushy like we were floating. I didn't have a solid feel for the road. Is that due to the air suspension?
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    I don't know the answers to many of your questions, but these aren't really big changes from Toyota's perspective. The engine will probably be the base engine in 2006. I'm sure a bigger engine will be optional. The 5 speed tranny is off the rack, they've been using them in the LC and LX470 for some time. The NAV system is a plug in item. Most of the changes will continue into 2006 no doubt.
  • wdogwdog Member Posts: 21
    Gkatz1, thanks so very much for the info. Would you know about availability of a 2005 limited without moonroof? Also concerned about potentially mushy ride with rear air suspension. Liked the ride of current Sequoia, which I felt was firm. 2004 LS, LT Chevy Tahoes had the 'boat' ride effect, but not Z71.

As I'm not going to do any towing I'd like to do without the rear air suspension. Might not enjoy resultant ride. However, want most of the other luxury items.

From what you wrote car may fly out. Seems like this is one to wait for and test ride ASAP. Any related advise appreciated. Thanks again.
    The info I got was provided somewhere else.......I do know that dealers will be taking orders in early August.
  • aubchicaubchic Member Posts: 9
    I want to buy the Sequoia SR5 4x4 and the way the dealers are ordering them in SoCal includes the curtain and side air bags, but I want the dealer to install the Preferred Package (which includes leather). I know there was an issue with adding leather (aftermarket) to the SR5 that had the side air bags... something about the air bags malfunctioning. The only information I can find is from 2001. Did they "fix" the problem or is it still an issue? Thank you for your help.
    The last I knew, aftermarket leather was compatable with the air bags.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    First of all I would NEVER buy anything aftermarket from the dealer, you will always get sub-standard equipment or pay two prices, or both.

Second, the leather covering factory airbags, at least the ones mounted in seat backs, have "weakened" seam lines for easy exit of the airbag as it activates.

Absent those weak seams most of the airbag's explosive force might be used up TEARING the leather open.
  • mahdmahd Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info on the 2005 Seq gkatz1 but does anyone have info on the Lexus SUV based on the Sequoia model?
  • stkgatorstkgator Member Posts: 16
    If history is a guide, I would guess that a fully redesigned Sequoia would be introduced as a MY07 (available in fall 2006). Toyota historically has released a model and “freshens” it after five years, then that model is sold for another two years before a full redesign. So the changes for MY05 will should be around for two years (MY05 and MY06).
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    It would make sense for the '07 Sequoia to be the redesign, since that is when the Tundra is being redesigned.

According to info from Toyota, the tow rating is going to go up 600-800 pounds.

Some aftermarket leather claims to be designed for the side airbags. Our dealership won't install leather with side airbags due to potential liability, not any real data. Some installers (like ours) will work directly with a customer though. By the way, the '05 has 1st and 2nd row curtain airbags, with rollover sensing.
  • chadrappchadrapp Member Posts: 35
    I'm ready for a new set of tires on my Sequoia, not really pleased with the factory Dunlops. Any suggestions?
  • bp3959bp3959 Member Posts: 156
    I recently put BFG All Terrain KO's on my Sequoia, and I'm very happy with them. Not only did they improve the look of it, but they also provide a smooth ride while being able to handle just about any adverse condition you'll run into. If you decide on getting them let me know and I'll post the tire size that'll fit the Sequoia.

http://img33.photobucket.com/albums/v98/bp3959/
    http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/catalog/tires/allterraintak- o.jsp
  • raymurraymur Member Posts: 29
    In my experience the best choice is the Michelin LTX M+S Radial,excellent traction,excellent long tread wear,very durable.

http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/tires/MichelinLTXMS.html
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    I replaced mine with Michelin cross terrain. Their name implies all terrain but they are not as well suited for off road as the M&S tires. Howvere they have a long tread life and handle very well on wet pavement. I now have 40K on them and expect another 30K before replacing.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Like raymur, I replaced my stock Duellers with Michelin LTX M+S. But went up to the LC size: 275/70/16, Fits the wheel well much better than stock size, imo. Excellent tire on both wet and dry roads. Super quiet too. Got about 20K miles on it and it looks like it'll go additional 50K miles before needing replacement. Cannot go wrong with either the Michelin XT or the LTX; both are excellent tires.
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    Go with the Michelins.
  • m0000m0000 Member Posts: 5
    If you're still reading this forum, I'd like to hear how you fared with this problem. I have the same issue, and the same BS comments by the dealer saying it's "normal". I suspect it's slop in the differential(s) because the rumble intensity changes as I move from accelerating to decelerating. Please let me know neko(at)krweb.net
    Beercoll1, I don't mean to start a tire vs tire war but I'd like to hear why you'd recommend the michelin tires over the BFG tires I posted about earlier. Is there something specific about these tires that makes them good or is it just brand loyalty?

Again, I not trying to be combative, I really like the tires I picked but if there's something out there that's better I'd like to find out.
    I'm not sure what you've already checked, but I'll list the things I can think of that'll cause those symptoms in case it'll help you out.

The most probable cause would be tires. Some tires just don't ride very good, but if it's severe one of your tires(or more) could have slight imperfections in them causing this. Next time you buy tires, have a matchmount done on the tires in addition to a normal balancing. Something else I always have done is a force balance( http://www.patgosscarworld.com/road_force_analysis.htm ) which checks for problems in sidewall stiffness(most shops should be able to do this these days), most of the time this is something that can't be worked around and they will simply use another tire if problems are found. Maybe others on this forum that don't have this problem can post what tires they have on their Sequoia.

The differentials could very well be the cause of the vibration, something to try is switching to a different type of diff fluid. Here's a link with more information on diagnosing differential problems http://www.4x4now.com/gt0699.htm

If you have warped brake rotors(not uncommon on a vehicle this heavy), this could definately cause exactly what you described, and it's a relatively inexpensive part to replace(don't bother having them turned, that's generally used for pits or grooves).

The symptoms you describe could also indicate an alignment problem, which may or may not be accompanied by shaking in the steering wheel and pulling to one side. Even if you don't need it, having an alignment done isn't a bad idea.

You could also have a defect in your propeller shaft, I'm not sure of the exact procedure for checking this but the dealer or any competent shop should be able check this out.

You should do a closeup examination of your rims. Alloy rims are pretty weak and a bent rim will cause your symptoms.

Don't let your dealer BS you about this, the Sequoia is an expensive luxury vehicle designed to give a luxury ride, but keep in mind that the vibration could very well be cause by something the dealer isn't responsible for.

Hope this helps, I've tried to include everything I could think of, good luck with this annoying(and potentially dangerous) problem.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Some housecleaning was necessary after an inappropriate post was removed - in case you're wondering where your post went.

tidester, host
  • m0000m0000 Member Posts: 5
    bp3959, thank you very much for your input! I have had the tires rebalanced and rotated, and even replaced without improvement. I'm having it realigned today so I'll let you know how that changes things. I'm relatively certain it's a drivetrain issue because:
    1) It gets louder the faster you go (above 90mph it's VERY loud)
    2) It's more pronounced when you run in the "slack" of the drive train. That is, when you are running inbetween accelerating and deccelerating.
    3) It's loudest when the drivetrain is hot (long trips)

I guessed it was the rear differential only because that's what's being powered in 2wd mode. Is that a correct assessment?

I've also considered the wheel bearings, but would that change intensity moving between accelerating and deccelerating?

Thanks for your help1
    You mentioned it gets loud at high speeds, what kinda sound are you hearing?
    I have a few questions that will help determine what is causing these problems. I also want you to know that I'm not a mechanic, I program computers for a living, but I've been around trucks and 4x4s most of my life, my dad has been a mechanic for over 30 years, 2 of my brothers are mechanics, and I've done alot of reading on the subject. You can be sure that if I give you advice I'm not 100% sure on, I'll let you know.

1. You've mentioned that the vibration changes depending on whether you are accelerating or decelerating, does the sound you're hearing noticeably change as well?
    2. What type of sound are you hearing(hum, howl, grinding, etc..)
    3. What speed does the sound appear at(differential problems usually can't be heard below 25)?
    4. Is there any pronounced clunking or clanging noise when shifting between drive, reverse, and neutral? If so, have someone you TRUST shift through the gears while you use your ear to determine the location the sound is coming from.
    5. Over inflate your tires(within the safe limits of your particular tires), does the sound and vibration you are experiencing change? Don't forget to drop back normal inflation when you're done.
    6. Jack up the truck and spin each wheel by hand, does it turn smoothly and without noise(btw, wheel bearings will give off the same sound regardless of acceleration or deceleration)?
    7. Does the sound/vibration have a steadily increasing intensity, or does it start a little at low speeds, then become really noticeably all of a sudden at 50-60?
    8. Any difference in symptoms while cornering?
    9. Any difference in symptoms if you get up to speed and switch into neutral?
    10. Do you tow or load heavy items in the truck on a regular basis that causes the rear to sag(an excessive angle of operation can destroy U-joints)?
    11. Has the dealer performed a driveshaft imbalance test?

Feel free to post answers as you get them, instead of waiting to gather all of them at once.
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    No need to think that you are starting a tire war. I have answered this question before in the 4-runner forum. I am currently looking to get a Sequoia, and was browsing through the messages and came across your tire discussion.
    I have replaced various tires(Bridgestone, Dunlops, Goodyear) with Michelins on my 4 4-runners. The Michelins ride nicer, have better grip, last longer, and, to me, are a better value than any of the other tires. I currently have a set of Dunlops on my 2003 4-runner, and with only 27k miles, they are losing grip. There is still plenty of tread on these tires, but they slip in the wet.(And before you ask, no I do not drive like a maniac on wet surfaces to see if they will hold the road.) The Bridgestones I had on a previous model started to lose grip at 12k. If there were a Michelin-shod vehicle on the lot when I was picking up my new one, I would insist on having the Michelins put on my new vehicle. Unfortunately, I do not seem to have that kind of luck. Most of the 4-runners were either Bridgestone or Dunlops for the 2003 model.
    Again, this is just my opinion, but one that I have based on my experiences.
  • husky92husky92 Member Posts: 56
    Is there any quantitative measuring stick to compare tires? I see that on individual tire sites they rate their own tires on treadware, rain, snow, ride, etc. but of course those numbers mean nothing comparing different brands. I too have preferred Michelin over the years and just due to the bad press, won't buy Bridgestone/Firestone tires but I haven't seen anything that attempts to measure the best tire.
  • tualatintualatin Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if rear parking video monitor will be available in the NAVI like on the GX 470? Or if rear parking sensors available on 2005?
    If you're comparing Michelin and BFGoodrich tires you can trust the numbers, as Michelin actually makes the BFGoodrich tires.
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    I know looks are subjective, but I have to say that I think the Goodrich tires look better than the Michelins. Tougher looking. More manly. Less French. LOL ;^)
    I agree, the BFG a/t ko's are very nice looking tires, but it's not all looks. I've had these tires off road a few times in deep mud(sunk up to the running boards) and in some pretty heavy snow, and to be honest you can't get a better off road tire without sacrificing ride quality and noise. It's wierd pitting BFG and Michelin tires against each other since they are made by the same company, but there really is a difference.
    WOW!

After searching this forum and the GX one for "noise" and "window" I realize that I should have included the Sequoia and the GX470 along with the RX and HL.

The following was posted on the Toyota LC and the Lexus LX forums.

LC & LX owners, HL and RX owners need your help. Many of these owners have posted complaints about the eardrum busting helicopter noise generated within the vehicle with a single rear window down and clipping along at hwy speeds.

From my own experience I know historically of this problem. My 68 and 72 Ford station wagons were subject to this effect but by simply lowering the rear liftgate glass slightly I could eliminate the effect.

I notice that the LC, and maybe the LX, have cabin airflow exhauster ports which are mounted above the "beltline", one on each side of your vehicles.

Do those exhauster ports and their "high mount" location allow enough cabin air outflow to prevent the helicopter sound in the LC and LX? Or are have you seen the same type of complaint?

For reference read:

Toyota Highlander Owners: Problems and solutions at post 1490 on...
  • tooheeldrivetooheeldrive Member Posts: 17
    For all the chatter about the "helicopter" noise you would think it a fatal flaw. Every wagon type vehicle does this... I just don't understand why the big deal. Who drives on the highway with the windows down anyway? Not me, not ever, regardless of the weather. So... the best solution is the simplest, don't roll down the back windows on the highway. If you want air, roll down the Front windows, or if you have one, open the sunroof.

There, problem solved. Perhaps this inane issue can be put to bed now.

THD
    Nuff said!
    The problem only occurs either when a single rear window is rolled down all the way with all the other windows closed at 55mph or when the sunroof is open all the way at 35mph. This is why the automatic open on the sunroof stops a few inches before it's fully open. It's pretty easy to avoid by simply cracking any other window in the truck about an inch. I can understand it concerning people that don't know how to avoid or stop it(I was pretty freaked out the first time it happened, thought the truck was coming apart), but if you know these things then it's really a non-issue.
  • chadrappchadrapp Member Posts: 35
    I have just noticed that my rear window of my 2003 Seq. will not go down. I recently had it in the shop to replace my sunglass console. Does anyone know if this work could have caused the problem. Wiring etc.? I'm now 1000 miles over warranty and I don't want to pay for this fix if it is possible that the dealer is responsible. Thanks for any help.
    Check that your rear wiper is fully resting, if it isn't the rear window won't roll down. I don't think there is any wiring in the roof that controls the rear window, but it is quite possible they blew a fuse while messing around up there. If neither of these help, you can always ask the dealer if they'll take care of it anyways being so close to the warranty, if it's a decent dealership they usually respond well if you have a good attitude about it.
  • kelly523kelly523 Member Posts: 18
    My wife's 2002 had this same problem just before the warranty expired - burnt out window motor. Fixed under warranty, but probably a $300 repair out of warranty. I'd bet the dealer would cover it being so close to warranty.
  • esalmonsonesalmonson Member Posts: 3
    I had my 2003 Sequoia at the dealer yesterday for an oil change and routine 15K service, and they told me I need new brakes. The car is 18 months old, obviously has 15K, and is this normal? They told me I need new pads, and the rotors grinded. Is there a TSB on this, and is this a known problem that I can fight them and have them cover it. Any info would be helpful! Please feel free to email me at: stephsal@optonline.net. Thanks!!!
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    There is a TSB, but I don't know if it applies tho the '03 Sequoia or not.

It is a large vehicle and if you are the type to brake late for stop signs or you are used to braking hard on hills, etc, you will wear out the brakes quickly on a Sequoia.
    I had my 2003 Sequoia at the dealer yesterday for an oil change and routine 15K service, and they told me I need new brakes. The car is 18 months old, obviously has 15K, and is this normal? They told me I need new pads, and the rotors grinded. Is there a TSB on this, and is this a known problem that I can fight them and have them cover it. Any info would be helpful! Please feel free to email me at: stephsal@optonline.net. Thanks!!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We have summary info in the Edmunds Maintenance Guide, as does alldata.com. The NHTSA also has it and sometimes they have full text online (but not often).

If you need full text, ask the service writer. Or your local library may subscribe to the Alldata service.

Steve, Host
  • robm1robm1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002. At 21k the dealer machined the rotors, and replaced a bunch of brake hardware. Now at 35k, they are replacing the rotors.
    I've also had my oil pressure gauge replaced twice, and did I mention
    having the automatic transmission replaced? Yes, the interior scratches
    easily.

This is my fifth Toyota, and probably the last. The service is good, but a car this young should not have these problems.

I hope the dealer covered this for you. They have for me.
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    I was reading about the specs on the 2005 Sequoia, increased engine size, more safety features, and navigation are some of the major improvements. It looks like it is going to be leaps ahead of the competitors. I love the ride of a Sequoia. I do not currently own one, but I am now thinking of buying one.

Does anyone know when the 2005 will be on sale?
  • nescovinnescovin Member Posts: 24
    Hi,
    I recently got a quote from my local Credit union's car buying rep that is much better than any dealer's. Thec catch is all the cars he can sell have cloth. He mentioned that after market leather costs around $1299. But I'm concerned about the warranty and airbags. This particular car has a side curtain airbag. Does that have anything to do with the seats and how does this affect the warranty?
    Appreciate any insights.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Side curtain airbags have nothing to do with the seats. In the event of a crash, the curtain air bags will fall from the roof line. If you have just plain side airbags, they will deploy from the seat, in which case, adding after market leather could affect their usefulness. If it's a reputable leather place, they should know how to install them so that they will deploy successfully in a crash. The key word in all of this is curtain, which covers the windows and should protect you from flying glass or any pillar collapse. They also offer some rollover protection.
  • mandy1mandy1 Member Posts: 1
    I am aware toyota changes their vehicles every few years. Does anyone know when there are any new changes going to be implemented?
  • nescovinnescovin Member Posts: 24
    Thanks,

I decided to go with a vehicle with the PM option instead. I haven't bought it yet. Do you know if the vehicle is avaliable in black as one tone or is it always 2 tone except for the silver.

Binoy
  • blackdog4blackdog4 Member Posts: 67
    This mornings news stated that the Explorer did not do very well in roll over tests. Has anyone seen how the Sequoia did?
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    I've seen a few SR5's in all black but they were probably done privately after purchase. Of course the Limited's are all one color.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Sequoia hasn't been rated yet - the only Toyota SUV rated so far is the 4Runner.

See:

NHTSA press release

and

NCAP Ratings

Steve, Host