Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Its funny to me that in this forum, the advantages of a real frame and off road ability are down played, while on the Highlander topic, the Toyota is criticized for being little more than a glorified station wagon. That is really all the MDX is, or rather a glorified mini van. The Highlander is an excellent SUV for the way SUVs are actually being used. So is the MDX. The Sequoia can actually tow, it has much more room, it has a more off road appropriate 4WD system, skid plates, better tires for mud and snow and such.

Pick the product that meets your needs. If you want or need the room, the towing capacity, V8 power, off road ability, skid control and the rest, the Sequoia may be right for you. If your priority is to get Jonny to soccer practice and the most you will be off road is the dirt driveway to the riding stables, decide if you need a difficult to reach and small 3rd seat and make a decision between the MDX and other car based SUV.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    Dealer bias is what is truly funny - in a warped sort of way. I did not start the MDX comparison on this forum, but I have submitted opinions on such a comparison.

cliffy1 (a dealer) writes:
    "The Sequoia can actually tow, it has much more room"

The Sequoia does not have MUCH more room. In fact it has very little more usable room. The MDX can actually tow. The MDX is rated by its manufacturer to tow any 3500# trailer and any 4500# boat trailer.

cliffy1 your last paragraph is so full of dealer hype and seller bias as to be completely worthless. No way a seller can be truly objective in discussing a competetors product, particularly one that has won so many awards involving direct competition against your own product

The Sequoia offers somewhat more off-road capability than MDX, but as everyone knows very few will ever leave the pavement. The overwhelming majority of buyers of both vehicles fall in the category of what I call STREET UTILITY VEHICLE buyers. They want an SUV type vehicle to use as their everyday family "car" and have no intentions of taking it off-road in any sport-utility sense. Thus to this large majority crowd the vehicles are very much comporable in size, function, class, quality, price, features, etc.

Thus it becomes, as always, a matter of personal choice.
  • toyotatoystoyotatoys Member Posts: 118
    msu,

My mouse was warmer than my lunch as I read your post.

Well said post. Yes, the difference in feature only becomes important if that feature is useful to the customer.
  • thirdsuvthirdsuv Member Posts: 209
    The SEQ fits in the class of full-size SUV which means that its 35-45K$ competitors are the Expedition and Tahoe/Yuckon. The audience of drivers who REALLY need/want a FULL size SUV are not buying MDXs.

Sure after seeing both SEQ/MDX some people may decide on MDX (or lincoln Town car or Geo metro or ...) but those people aren't SEQ's target market because those people decided that they REALLY don't want/need a full-size SUV. That's all fine and good and more power to them because it eases the demand on the SEQs.

Toyotas competition is the Expy and Tahoe and by most reviews and honest assesments, Toyota hit a homerun. It would have been a grand slam if their production capability was 300K a year and sold at invoice. If that was the case, the Expy/Tahoe dealers would be mighty lonely.
    If I had bought another Tahoe/Expy I knew that every time the thing broke down or grumbled about the ride/interior, I would have also said "If we would only have paid the extra money for the Sequoia....). I decided to take the momentary cash pain now and forget about it rather then spread it out over years to come.

cheers
    You missed my point and decided to launch an attack. You're entitled to do that, but I have to ask... who kicked your cat this morning? I didn't make that last post to be combative. I posted it because I find it funny that this topic down plays the off road capabilities and towing ability when comparing to the MDX while the Highlander topic does just the opposite. Nothing more.

Now, as to some of the specifics, I still maintain that if you plan on doing a lot of towing, you need a frame. The MDX and the Highlander don't have one. This means that every time you hook up a trailer, the tongue weight and the pulling, directly affects the body of the vehicle. You can get away with this occasionally, but I would avoid it. If you tow often, even within the weight limits, you are better off with a truck frame.

As to room, I'll admit that the definition of "much more room" is subjective. I've seen both and been in both. To me, there is a lot more room in a Sequoia and that could be important to many people. You are free to disagree with this.

Peace man. Relax.
  • sender5sender5 Member Posts: 9
    It sounds as if the price is decent. I ordered my silver sky sr5 with all that you listed and also the scabs,AC,DR(roofrack), and mats and i paid 39,700.This doesn't include taxes or tag fees.I figured I am about 2500 under msrp which is the best I could get and I had to go out of state to get it.I didn't get the video system, which one was it and how big is the screen? Thanks and good luck.
  • mulligan2mulligan2 Member Posts: 59
    I refuse to believe that anyone who has actually driven both the MDX and Sequoia and has carefully examined all of the seating positions and cargo room could conclude anything other than that the Sequoia is substantially more roomy than the MDX. Forget about measurements and actually climb inside these vehicles, sit in all the seats and judge the space.
  • merlintimerlinti Member Posts: 5
    I have one (fully load SR5) on order with Dianne at arson Toyota with all the packages you mentioned with the exception of the video system. I came to the conclusion that the saving was approximately 2500-3000 for this setup verses the Limited. The extras in the limited which you won't get with the fully dressed SR5 are heated front seats; fog lights; leather in the door panels; different styled wheels; different grill inset, roof rack, and color matching trim. I don't believe that color key matching is an issue if you order the silver sky since the trim and the body paint are the same color (see your brochure). With other paint combinations it would make a difference. For me, the price difference was significant and worth the placing an order and waiting.

Question: How did they fit the video system in with the sunroof? Who is the maker of the components in the system and is the sound directed through the existing stereo system or does it have its own dedicated speakers? What are the warranties on this nonfactory add on? I've never have seen this video set and the reason for the many questions.
  • daver13daver13 Member Posts: 3
    cliffy1 or dianne

I was informed that the luggage covers for the IQ had a quality problem in production and would not be available for a while. Do you have any information regarding the luggage cover. Are they available and if not when will they be available and what is the dealer cost and retail price of the covers?
  • bevo01bevo01 Member Posts: 3
    Would you mind stating where you were able to buy your Sequoia for about $ 2500 under MSRP?
  • mommyottermommyotter Member Posts: 15
    Im located in the San Francisco Bay Area. Ive actually tryed contacting YOU about a Sequioa but as I remember you were *busy*.
  • jjkim1jjkim1 Member Posts: 3
    I bought my Sequoia (sky silver, SR5, w4d) from Tracy Toyota in December. I paid more than $1500 below the MSRP. The Dealership is owned by Ronnie Lot (Former 49ers) and treat their customers with respect. Ask for Anthony (Sales Manager) or Janie (Sales Person). They are a couple of real professionals. Tell him that you were referred by someone in Union City.

Before I purchased my SQ, I checked with several dealers in the Bay Area and no dealer was willing to go below the MSRP. I even checked with a dealership in Southern California, who wouldn't go below the MSRP.
  • rhanson3rhanson3 Member Posts: 69
    If you e-mail Dianne she will get back to you within a couple of day's. It's Dianne@earthlink.com
  • tbevertbever Member Posts: 39
    Bought a Yakima loadwarrior for Seq rack. Fits great, easy installation and removal, great way to carry stuff you don't want to bring inside the vehicle (lifejackets, wet clothes etc) It can also accept a bike rack on top of this but you would have to be Andre the Giant to actually get a bike up that high (receiver mounted racks are more useful but I don't have one yet). Adds some windnoise but I only put it on the truck when I need it. With the rack installed too tall to fit in garage. If anyone is interested info is on the Yakima site.
  • rolliedoggrolliedogg Member Posts: 15
    Well I now have slightly over 200 miles on my SR5 Silver Sky(MSRP of 39,5xx. It is difficult to judge how much I negotiated off the sticker as I was trading in a vehicle. Based upon what they showed me for a similar vehicle to my trade-in that recently went through auction and a deal negotiated with another dealer, I estimate that I got somewhere around $3000 of MSRP. Despite my attempts to use the internet, (my wife bought a new Subaru GT Limited last year entirely on the internet), the negotiating over the trade-in resulted in the typical several hour ordeal with the salesman taking my offer to the manager. My point is that one still needs to be flexible - use the internet, multible quotes from dealers, old fashioned haggling - acceptable deals can be achieved. One of my reasonings to buy now was my belief that once spring arrives, the demand will go up as most people do not want to buy a new vehicle in the worst part of the winter and the new car shows will increase the demand.

First impressions are that the ride is excellent. Complaints so far are that the heater fan is loud compared to other cars, the controls on the right side of the dash are a long reach. Pretty minor actually.

Does anyone have a good (low price) source for the all weather mats and cargo liners like husky?
  • nismofreaknismofreak Member Posts: 120
    Has anyone on this list read the latest Automobile Mag? This is the one where they have a write-up on every SUV sold in America. Anyway, it seems that your old buddy Yoss was right! The SAE standard that Toyota used in measuring the internal cargo space is >NOT< the same that Ford or anyone else is using. Toyota >includes< the space taken by the middle seat (when folded forward) as usable space. Same goes the measurement of ride height. Toyota takes the reading at the lowest "sprung" point while Ford takes it at the lowest "unsprung" point (the bottom of the diff). What else is Toyota measuring "differently"? Gas mileage?

Just pointing this out for all perspective buys.

You can read all the juicy details in the "Vile Gossip" column by Jean. Automobile still likes the Seq even though it really isn't that big.

Cheers!
  • thirdsuvthirdsuv Member Posts: 209
    Re: Interior space

I didn't buy the SQ on interior specs, I judged the interior on how intelligently the designers MADE USE of the interior space. Any sane person who looks at a SQ and its primary competitiors (tahoe/Expedition) will easily come to the conclusion that Toyota makes much better USE of available space that an average family/mother/kids can reconfigure every day with ease.

Re: Height
    Are you talking height or clearance and what is
    the end result of this measurement change?
  • toyotatoystoyotatoys Member Posts: 118
    The height of the SR5 2WD SEQ is listed as 73.6 inches. Does anyone know if this includes the roof rack? I noticed that the Limited is listed at 75.8 inches. Since the roof rack comes standard in the Limited, I hope that the 2.2 inches difference is due to the roof rack.

I also assume that I have a standard garage with an 80-in high opening. I always thought of the width of the SEQ, but never about the height. I just to be sure that when my Seq comes, I can get it into the garage.
  • rruck1rruck1 Member Posts: 91
    Don't worry about the height, it is right on - even with the rack. I have an SR5 4WD and the truck is roughly the same height I am 6'4". No problem with a standard garage.
  • csotbcsotb Member Posts: 8
    Hi all. This is my first post here, though I've been reading the board for a few weeks. We have a '98 4Runner and have been very happy with it with no problems over 121,000 km (~75,000 miles), although the waterpump was leaking so we had it changed at the 120000 km service (they did the timing belt right away as well). It is a bit small for me though (not enough leg room and my head is in constant contact with the roof), and it fills up quickly when we go on trips even though it's just my wife, dog (Black Lab) and me so we're thinking of getting a larger vehicle. Prior to the 4Runner I had an '89 4x4 Xtra Cab pickup on which I put 217,000 trouble-free kms, so my wife and I are well acquainted with Toyota quality and therefore the Sequoia would be a natural next step. One of the things that concerns me (other than price and current lack of interest rate incentives) is not knowing the service intervals that are required. The 4Runner (automatic V6) requires all the fluids in the drive train (transmission, differentials, trasfer case) to be changed every 24,000 Km (15,000 miles) which greatly adds to cost of ownership. What are the service intervals on the Sequoia? Another concern is I also found the leg room to be about the same as in the 4Runner, although the seat is higher so it provides a slightly more comfortable leg angle. Can any other tall guys out there comment on long-trip comfort? Sorry for being so long winded and I look forward to seeing any info provided.
  • rruck1rruck1 Member Posts: 91
    Not sure about the service intervals, but in the long run (post warranty)I think you will find that not having to invest in repairs so much will even things out.
    As far as comfort goes - I am 6'4" tall and weigh about 250 pounds. Interior room and comfort were a big consideration for me. I was a little tired of always looking through the tinted portion of the windshield. I can confirm for you that the sequoia is very comfortable to drive both day to day and on long trips. I have taken a couple of 5 + hour trips to the mountains in New Hampshire and was very pleased with the comfort level.
    If you decide on the Sequoia you won't be disappointed.
    By the way, my Lab/Shepherd loves the fact that the rear windows go all the way down.
  • tran4tran4 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Seq 4x2 ltd with an option of jbl 6 dics changer with 10 speakers. However i have hard time locate those speakers, i think all i can count is 8. is there really 10 speakers in my Seq? Please help!
  • dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    I am afraid that I am always busy, to some extent! The requests I have for Sequoia daily exceed my allocation by hundreds. And, if there are vague requests to "process" and reply to, I have to print them and get to them later.

It's always best to be specific in emails to me, with color, MODEL and drive line, and features. It's far easier for me to look at a complete email, compute pricing or see what's amiss about a unit requested, reply with or "that's an order build because..." and we go from there.

While getting hundreds of emails on Sequoia, I also have to sell every other product me build, like Camrys, Corolla, Tacoma, and the like. And, chase an average of 20-30 order builds per month thru the system weekly, daily. I wish some of you who are insisting on immediate help could be a fly on the wall in here for one day. One day. I get in here at 8am and there are days I cannot leave til 9 due to workload and getting thru emails and follow up thank-you's and putting cars back on the line that are not picked up, chasing floor mats and then trying to get thru email I didn't have enough info to reply to when they came into my emailbox, so I am scouring my email program to try and piece together a Sequoia someone wants priced that I know I can't get for 2 months anyway.

I apologize to anyone who feels slighted by my haste or lack of time to reply with paragraphs and paragraphs the first eMail out of the gate. I do the best I can and I often leave here bleary eyed and truthfully, for every 20-30 Sequoia requests I get, I sell maybe one. Maybe, if I can even get the cars fast enough.

ANyone out there who's picked their Sequoia or other car up from me, especially if it was a special build order, knows how dedicated I am to making certain their car is absolutely right, and it all comes down to the delivery. It takes time to get 80 cars a month all right. Anyone can kiss your you-know-what on the phone, in emails or thru singing telegram. I don't need to DO that to sell Sequoia or any other product we make. I just make sure the pricing is aggressive for the market, and the cars are right, damage free, and EXACTLY as I said it was equipped and the pricing is SET and doesn't shift when the buyer arrives.

Too many salespeople get amnesia later about promised equipment or promised deals. I can't begin to share with you all of the letters of frustration I get when folks email me after that happens to them at their local dealers and they have either gone ahead and bought the car because they wanted it, committment be damned, or they walked and are venting to me, asking me "what should I do? Should I run back for it?"

That's not going to happen to anyone I took a deposit on, that's for sure. The market might shift, and pricing I may bestow on someone when I was just allocated 15 Limited 2WDs vs. my pricing a month later when I have pre-sold all but 3 might go upwards due to availability, but when I make a commitment and take a deposit, it's DONE. Make sure, across the country, that you are negotiating with someone with those ethics and basic cornerstone of business.

--Dianne
    You have 10 speakers in 8 locations. Don't ask me which cover contains two speakers but that is the answer to your question.
  • sardusardu Member Posts: 7
    you write "The Sequoia does not have MUCH more room. In fact it has very little more usable room." You must not of gotten in the back of the MDX for you to say that. I'm 6'1 and can sit in the 3rd row of the Seq. In the MDX I could hardly even get back there. Plus with the seq even with it's 3rd seat all the way back I could still put my stroller behind the seat. In the 2nd row of the seq I can put my car seat in the middle and still have two adults comfortably sit on each side. I couldn't say that about the MDX.
    You also write
    "The MDX can actually tow. The MDX is rated by its manufacturer to tow any 3500# trailer and any 4500# boat trailer." Only if you buy the transmission cooler.

You then write
    "The Sequoia offers somewhat more off-road capability than MDX"
    Any publication that has written about the Sequoia has raved about how well it did off-roading esp since it has the most ground clearance in it's class. When they mention the MDX and off-roading they just say it does a good job for a SUV based on a mini van platform.

Don't get me wrong I really liked the MDX but it's not in the same class as the Seq. based on the issues you brought up.
  • sender5sender5 Member Posts: 9
    I ordered mine from central city toyota in phila. I live in new york and for some reason no dealer out here would order me the sr5 with the side curtain airbags, so I went out of state. Very nice people to deal with, I dealt with Erik Mulhern. Their phone number is 215-476-1200. Good luck, I should be getting mine in a few weeks.
  • mommyottermommyotter Member Posts: 15
    Dianne was never question on her quickness to emails. I believe that she was unfairly given that title by who I dont know.

Lets face it we are all busy in what ever we are doing be it working or searching for a car.

My frustration lies in that I have been actively trying to purchase a Sequoia for a month now, and wasted many hours in trying to do so. Ive been to MANY dealerships in my area some more than once. We have also phoned many others who gave us promises of an available car with the features that I want only to find that after driving to their location that we've once again been lied to (Melody Toyota, Putnam Toyota, and Daly City Toyota, Toyota of Palo Alto <-- I post these for everyone's warning).
    My husband and I have been joking lately of just taking the $45+K out of the bank in $20's so that maybe someone will take us seriously as we wave this money around in the dealerships lobby!!

Dianne seems to have a reputation of satisfying her customers that is why I contacted her stating that I was looking for a Limited Toyota Sequoia and that I reside in the San Francisco Area. But when I received an email back only stating
    "and....?"
    I tend to think that this person is not serious either.
    You may well have gotten an email intended for someone else accidentally. I do a lot of emails. I can happen. Forgive me.
  • thangtnthangtn Member Posts: 2
    I am not refering to the AWD in Land Cruiser. Instead, I am thinking something like the auto-track option in the Tahoe 4WD, where an electronic system senses any wheel slippery and controls the spin accordingly.. or something like that? I believe Exp has similar feature.
  • markb8markb8 Member Posts: 2
    I've owned 2 4-Runners since 1989. Moved up to the Sequoia in 11/00 and love it!! Rides like my father-in-law's Lincoln Continental! I have the SR-5 model with about 1700 mi. on it and my only complaint is an annoying vibration in the center of the floorboard on the driver's side. It seems most noticeable b/n 45-55 mph, usually when accelerating or climbing a slight grade. Any similar experiences? I've been under the vehicle myself looking for something loose but no luck. Looks like the only thing there is the beginnings of the exhaust system. Otherwise, the unit performs admirably!! Nothing but praise for the dealer,as well. Thanks.
  • bevo01bevo01 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone purchased a Sequoia in Texas for more than $1,000 off sticker? If so, I'd appreciate the dealer and sales person's name and phone number.
  • jimbob7216jimbob7216 Member Posts: 15
    Try Jim Dames at Cavendar Toyota in San Antonio. He is the fleet manager (actually one of two who work together). I have not bought a Sequoia from him but someone on this forum from Dallas bought one for $2000 off list. I bought an Avalon from him 2 years ago, and he quoted me $2000 off list (for a Sequoia), and gave me the feeling that he might do a little better if I ordered one which he was also willing to do.

Hope this helps. Jim
  • mulligan2mulligan2 Member Posts: 59
    Those of you with the PM package on your SR-5's please help. Are the door panels leather or cloth?
  • npoolnpool Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2WD Limited in black. Though the styling and looks are great, the tires and wheels looks small and whimpy for its size. I want to increase the tire height and width 1-2 inches each way, without rubbing fenders when I turn.
    I'd like to go with an 18x8.5 wheel with a 285/60R-18 tire, but can't get a straight answer from tire stores regarding size. Has anyone modified their SEQ yet or know if there is a web site with pictures of modified SEQs? Are there any sites yet with aftermarket accessories for the SEQUOIA?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • rolliedoggrolliedogg Member Posts: 15
    Entering day number 4 of SR5 SS Sequoia. Yesterday noticed that when I came out in the morning the doors were locked. That's odd - I don't usually lock my car at night. (It stays outside until I can get mote room in the garage.) Oh well - I must have locked it and not remembered.

Well, this morning I'm letting the dog out around 6:30 am and as he is walking across the drive way, I see the Sequoia tail lights flash with a clicking sound. I check the doors and yep they are locked. I know they were unlocked when I went to bed last night. My theory is that the cold (~10 to 15) air temperature the last 2 nights has somehow triggered the door locks. Anybody else experience this??? Design flaw or does something need to be reset?

One other item is that the rear hatch cylinders were unable to lift the tailgate (again probably due to the cold weather.)
  • traveling101traveling101 Member Posts: 31
    It is time to purchase a new vehicle and I am torn between the Sequoia and a minivan. I have never owned an suv, but have owned minivans for 10 years. I was ready to move into the 2001 Town and Country or Odyssey, when, as a joke, I test drove a Sequoia. I was amazed at how comfortable it was.

Here are my comparison dilemmas. The minivan world is lower to the ground so less chance of rolling and easier to enter and exit. Also there is easier access to the 3rd row of seats, the driving comfort is a little soother and the fan for heater/a is MUCH quieter.

But the Sequoia is safer in a collision because you ride higher than most other vehicles (above the crash zone) and I believe it is stronger because of the truck/tank-like sturdiness. Also, I like being above other people's headlights because I have night blindness which means that the glare of lights at night is much greater for me than for normal sighted folks. I really don't understand all the pros and cons of the stability factor and the skid control in this suv when you compare it to the minivans. I tried to look up the rollover factor for Sequoias but I couldn't find any facts. Too new?

I just want whatever is safer for city and highway safety (no off-roading for us) and for handling snow, ice, and traveling through mountains. (no towing, either)

Can anyone compare these two worlds of vehicles or point me to a website that can?
  • daver13daver13 Member Posts: 3
    Question. Where are the 8 speakers located. I see two in each front door and one in each back door. Are the other two in the dash?

Also, do you have any information on when the luggage covers will be available?

Thanks in advance.
    I don't know which of those speaker covers contains multiple speakers, but two of them do.

I have no information on the cargo covers. Sorry.
  • jjkim1jjkim1 Member Posts: 3
    I have the similar experience with Diane in Southern California. She wanted the MSRP for SR5 4WD. So I got my SQ (SR5, 43wd, sky silver) from Tracy Toyota. They were the only dealership who was willing to go below the MSRP. I got mine in Dec. 2000. Talk to Anthony or Janie in Tracy Toyota. They treat their customers with respect. Tell them you were refer by someone in Union city.
  • exsailorexsailor Member Posts: 8
    My SR5 2WD Silver Sky Sequioa is finally here!!! Horrayyyy!!!

After weeks for research, my Sequioa is finally here! My dealer emailed me and let me know it's here. He even send me a picture of it. It has 8 miles on it waiting for me. I have to drive 85 miles to pick it up, but the price i paid, I think it's all worth it. I will defintely be there tommorrow, Sat, 01/27 before the dealership open. I'll let ya know in two weeks if its all worth it. BTW, thanks for all the invaluable information that was submitted here i really learned a lot from fog lights, to engine tapping, to purchasing technique, even learned about the MDX but no thanks. i hope i get some sleep tonight :) Exsailor
  • catbudcatbud Member Posts: 5
    Regarding the video system I am having added to my sequoia - I am actually ignorant about the details...just desperate for it to passify my kids. I know it can be put in depsite the sunroof- they put it where interior light should be (hope I don't miss that light)it will play videos and games - I chose no tv reception. Retails for around $1600 installed. Don't know what it costs the dealer. Screen is small about 5" but I understand that is no big deal. It can be seen in many minivans- in fact I looked at one on a windstar first. One final note, in a catalog called Frontgate, there is a tv/vcr advertised for use in SUV and it has 10" screen. It sits between the seats held in place by straps around the captains chairs. I guess those straps wouldn't be uncomfortable for driver? It is about the same or a little more in price. I went withthis one because hesitated buying something so expensive sight unseen and from a catalog.
  • catbudcatbud Member Posts: 5
    After using the internet and telephone, I got a quote $1400 less than the others and told him I'd take it. He said he was getting hte car from another dealer and would hold it for me and email me an options list. Despite several more calls, no emails. I went anyway to sign papers and what a disaster, the sales manager I had dealt with kep me waiting thon briefly spoke before handing me over to his Inventory manager to "go over some things" And htis guy had been DRINKING at 2 in the afternoon!!! He went over two invoices with me and then mentioned those cars were sold. What was that point? I asked. Well the car he was holding for me was never available to begin with. Then he proceeded to show me a car they had which did not have the options I asked for and babbled some things about changing stuff and alloy wheels weren't that important. I left! FYI that was TOWN and Country Toyota in Charlotte, NC.

I called Toyota West in Statesville and gave the other dealerships quote and asked htem to match it. They came close with in $150 and said they would get the car in three weeks. I put $1000 non-refundable down. Hope I did alright. I got a 4WD SR5 in Thunder Gray with moonroof, alloy wheel pkg, convenience pkg, preferred pkg (leather, 6-disc, etc),mats, roof rack,dual air cond and side air bags, daytime running lights and 4-raised letter tires. For an MSRP of 42,753. Plus another $1600 (retail) for video system installed. I agreed to pay $40,500. Looks like I saved $3000 off MSRP w/video. I was so worn out from shopping around and that ridiculous experience at Town & Country, I wanted to be done. Plus this was really strange shopping for cars no one has on lot. I guess it was worth it as my first attempts were not much below MSRP - now if the car is as promised, I think I will be pleased.
  • exsailorexsailor Member Posts: 8
    My SR5 2WD Silver Sky Sequoia is finally here!!! Horrayyyy!!!

After weeks for research, my Sequoia is finally here! My dealer mailed me and let me know it's here. He even send me a picture of it. It has 8 miles on it waiting for me. I have to drive 85 miles to pick it up, but the price I paid, I think it's all worth it. I will definitely be there tomorrow, Sat, 01/27 before the dealership open. I'll let ay know in two weeks if its all worth it. BTW, thanks for all the invaluable information that was submitted here I really learned a lot from fog lights, to engine tapping, to purchasing technique, even learned about the MDX but no thanks. I hope i get some sleep tonight :) Exsailor
  • miamiheatmiamiheat Member Posts: 7
    markb8,

I thought I was the only one that felt this Vibration / Tapping Feeling. I even took it to the dealer and they said that there was No Problem or did not feel it. I knew I felt something.
    I too love my New Limited Sequoia but this is a bit annoying.
    Please if Any One has a solution or has felt the same post your experiences here.
    Thank you
  • markb8markb8 Member Posts: 2
    miamiheat,
    I can only find a few support brackets near the first portion of the exhaust assembly that may be the answer, although manually they feel tight. You can bet I'll bring it to the attn. of the dealer at the first 5K checkup. I actually considered placing a 1/4 to 1/2 inch rubber mat under the existing floormat in an attemp to muffle it! I guess that if this is our biggest gripe with the machine we're pretty lucky. Can't tell you how many people have stopped me at random to ask about it!
    So, when I barely had been allocated Sequoia models (as they debuted in November) here's someone expecting a miracle.

I am limited to what I have for inventory. When I was buried with 2WD Limiteds and had virtually no SR5's to offer anyone, I didn't hear anyone complain about buying their cars in great colors for $1500-2200 off MSRP. If I don't have product, just a few here and there. of course the market for that particular car is tremendously stronger.

Right now, I have pretty much sold us out of the 4WD Limiteds (mostly to Northern CA folks) and have so many build-ordered SR5 models that it takes me an hour every morning to chase each car thru the system. Mister Kim, sorry if, when you emailed me, I asked for what I felt the market value was on the car you requested. Especially if you requested a special order build car. My market on 4WD SR5's is better these days due to the fact that I earned a lot of them for Feb, so things do not always stay the same with inventory or availability.

Lookslike you found a deal you were pleased with, and that is a good thing. I don't have to sell everyone. Matter of fact, I can't because I don't get enough cars!

-Dianne
  • tbevertbever Member Posts: 39
    I have noticed a similar situation: the Seq seems to beep and lock all the doors when I am not touching the key fob. I just assumed I must have brushed the lock button accidently, but this happened several times. I am not sure if this really is a problem or just a very twitchy lock button on the keyfob. I thought I was nuts, but I was interested to note someone else has noticed this. It also seems to have happened only during cold spells.
  • gauntlett1gauntlett1 Member Posts: 17
    Well I am doing comparison shopping and comparing my 1992 Previa LE vs 2001 Sequoia in terms of size. Please do not flame me, I know I am comparing a truck vs a van, OK.

-------------------Previa----------Sequoia
    Behind
    3rd Seat------ 33.1 cu.ft.--- 27.8 cu.ft.

2nd Seat------ 85.3 cu.ft.--- 65.3 cu.ft.

1 seat-------- 158.8 cu.ft.-- 128 cu.ft.

At first when I looking at the truck, I thought that is was larger in size, but the cargo space numbers do not lie. I guess we can adjust to the reduction in cargo space, for the increase in power. The ground clerance is only 1 inch higher that the Previa. However, the Previa weight distribution was 50% Front and 50% Rear. The Sequoia weight ditribution is not know, I guess its ~65% Front and ~35Rear.

I have a 4 kids and cargo space is one factor, the other is reliabilty. I have over 155K miles on the Toyota Previa, without any major problems. Its a bit slow, so I am deciding to tryout a Sequoia. Neither my wife or me has every had a full-time/part-time 4WD before. I just need to hear about the experience going from a Mini Van to a Truck, and was it worth it. I heard that you must never put the truck in part-time 4WD if the ground is not wet. What are the other restrictions with part-time 4WD?

We drove a Sequoia and was impressed. I am a die hard Toyota person, since 1984 with the Supra, then Previa 1992 (family grew). :)

We are plan on the 4WD version, SR5 first choice.

I will continue to read up more on the new Sequoia and wait until the work out the quirks during the first 6-9 months. I just hope the price does not approuch the LC level.

I enjoy your comments....
    The Sequoia is not a conventional part time system. Scan back through this topic to my many postings about this system and you will see that this system is VERY safe to leave in 4WD all the time. If you can't find them, e-mail me at sclifford@kjtoyota.com. After posting explanations of this system so many times, I finally saved them on a word document.

As to your measurements, I'm sure you are correct. The Previa was a very large van with the passenger space going nearly to the front of the hood. The seats were a bugger to remove which made cargo hauling a chore though.
  • rufusedrufused Member Posts: 8
    I called Toyota's 1-800# about the 10 speakers and there is 2 tweeters by dash,2 speakers in each front doors and they said there is a small speaker in a speaker in back doors. I think I got a good deal on a White Limited with everything for 42.700 plus tax. in Las Vegas. I seem too be getting about 16 mpg I got about 1100 miles on it. I had them change both black rain gutters on top of roof one of them wasn't put on wright. I have had good luck with dealer so far.