Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• sequoiasoonsequoiasoon Member Posts: 223
    Depends how much info you need where and when. I bought many years ago for about a hundred bucks the factory manuals for my Corolla. I've only needed them 3-4 times more as reference but I'm at least mechanically inclined.

I bought from e-bay the Sequoia Service Manual on CD for $24 shipped to my door. Everything I've needed so far has been there including full wiring schematics, troubleshooting etc. Just takes a little longer to search at times as the titles are kinda vague. The Cd comes with Acrobat 6 which has a good search feature. I like that I can print the pages and throw them out if they get dirty.
  • erichkerichk Member Posts: 6
    you got the manuals on cd for $24? good for you. is it a factory toyota manual/cd and what is covered in it? the complete set i have is 3 volumes worth. i have always bought the factory manual for any car i ever owned because i am a mechanic and i do all of my own car work. when i study the electronic systems in use in this truck i am not too sure i could tackle them without buying some real expensive computer equipment. hope i never have a problem of that magnitude.
    It says on it Toyota Sequoia ESM (electronic Service Manual. Everything I looked for was there. Special service tool #'s, bolt/nut torque, disassembly step by step, full wiring schematics, etc. I bought it from same person on ebay on recommendation from members on a different site that commented on how thorough it was.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    What year and how many miles are on your Seq ?

Mine is an '01 and the brake pads were gone by 25K miles. Typical for many other Seq owners. If yours was an '01 or '02, then you may want to take advantage of the TSB on the brakes Toyota issued in 2003. I understand the brakes were fixzed for the MY2003 release. Do a search on this forum and you'll find the TSB # and more references to brake issues on the Seq.
  • toyotatoystoyotatoys Member Posts: 118
    Hi oac,

Nice to hear again from an "old timer" like you.

My 01 Sequoia SR5 (bought in April 2001)

Mileage: 68,000+ miles (mixed city & highway)

Repair history:

36,000 miles - TSB service on brakes (free)

NOTHING ELSE

Maintenance history

1500 miles - Oil change to Mobil 1

Synthetic transmission fluid

Every 4-5K - Oil change (always Mobil 1)

55,000 miles - Changed to Michelin Cross Terain

Annoying history

Tool compartment cover keeps on falling off

Little plastic caps for seatbelts, seats, etc,

keep falling off

Sometimes tick on cold weather, but bearable.

NO, I have not done the rest of the "recommended" dealer services. My last vehicles were 7 Toyotas and a Lexus SC 300. Put in 100-180K miles in each of them. Never regreted.

Bottom line: My Seq still hums and purrs, just like DAY 1. I hope it stays the same for another 100K miles.
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    wow toyotatoys, your repair record sounds exactly like mine, right down to the tires.

I have taken mine in for the 30,60k mile service and looking at the 90K with the timing belt comming up.

My only other problem is the second door on the passenger side staying open on a slight hill. You have to hold it open with your butt. Not sure how to fix that!!
    Toyotatoys:

Another "old timer" chiming in. Great info provided here. I hope it helpos someone looking to buy this truck. BUT, we'd like to hear from others who may not have a stellar truck. Any problems/issues/nagging that you'd like to share with us ?

I changed my tires at ~45K miles from Bridgestone Dueller to Michelin LTX M&S and upped the size to the LC's 275/60/16 tire size. No problem with the ride; maybe even a tad better ride quality. Now at 59K miles, and tire is at ~70% treadlife left (don't know what that measures in inches/millimeters).

Like you, mine still hums and purrs like brand new. May have to trade out of it tho' for the wife's need. But still holding on, for now.
  • smurf2smurf2 Member Posts: 2
    There is also a refernce at number 6433 of 8446 and interestingly enough the same type vibrations are occuring on the Tundra. Probably because they are on the same platform. I am truly, truly disappointed at the response from Toyota - "this is a normal characteristic of the vehicle" not what one would expect for a $40,000.00 vehicle and certainly not in line with Toyota's typical reputation for reliability, dependability and customer satisfaction. Perhaps it is time to file a class action suit and maybe that will get Toyota's attention and a return to customer satisfaction. I guess they are waiting for 36,000 miles and then hit me with a $2,000.0 repair bill like they did for the owner of a Tundra in my same area. Any other Sequoia owners having a similar problem and what was the resolution/fix or do we have to just live with the defect?
    Hi:

I'd suggest you go back to the dealer and ask to test-drive a similar model as yours in the '05. See if you get the same vibration. If you don't, then you may have a case to request for a new one. Certainly if this is a *new* 2004, with low miles and defective as you stated, you should be able to trade-out to an '05 with NO cost to you.

Let us know how it goes with the dealer and/or TMC. If they don't play ball, check your local yellow pages for a good attorney....
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    Interesting that both oac and myself responded to that message.

I'll go along with oac's suggestion. It would seem that your vehicle is new enough that they should make it right. Then again, they are a dealership and a lot of dealerships are ********.

How you doing oac? I trust that the holiday season has left some sort of taste in your mouth. Plastic? Metallic? I don't want to violate forum policy so I'll let you guess at the other taste the comes to mind. ;^O
    How you doing oac? I trust that the holiday season has left some sort of taste in your mouth. Plastic? Metallic? I don't want to violate forum policy so I'll let you guess at the other taste the comes to mind

Thanks. Happy New Year to you and family (and those grandkids too)

Spent post Xmas in Las Vegas. The Seq did a stellar job transporting 8 of us - two dads, two mums, 3 kids (7, 10, 12) and a grandmum - in comfort throughout the 309-mile San Diego-Las Vegas road trip. More importantly, we beat the *house* with a ROI of 25-to-1: invested $200 in a $1 slot machine, returned $5,000. Not bad, eh ? So you can say we had a superb holiday time. Plenty of cash to spend after the win at LV :)

So, no, we did not get smushed as past years due to this *win*, and I suppose we can pay it all off now. Besides, my younger daughter turns 11 today and we'll be having sixteen (yes, count them - 16) 11 & 12-yr olds for a sleep-over this Saturday. Gotta be fun to spend all that money on them as well....Yipee....

:)
  • nwfootballa23nwfootballa23 Member Posts: 14
    i am 17 and i am considering buying a used sequoia would someone that owns or owned one please tell me their opinion on it and how it does thanks
  • mosquitonetmosquitonet Member Posts: 7
    do we really need to change spark plug by 30,000 miles. Would bosch plat. 4 be a good option to use?
  • asif1asif1 Member Posts: 49
    I just traded in my 2004 4Runner with 2005 Sequoia SR5 (with nearly all options of limited) in 34750. The MSRP was 40034. Few things i would like to say and ask. The SUV comes with DVD pre wire but i am unable to figure out as to what is pre-wired and where?. The dealer did not has any clue. The multiple sun glass holders on the top leaves very less space for OH DVD player, specially for 2nd row. Had any body installed after market DVD player (all in one). I will appreciate any info on that.

Moved to Sequoia for the need of space. Although i was very happy with my 4runner but came to know after 1.5 yrs that only i was the only one happy in front seat, even the people on 2nd row were not very comfortable. 3rd row was out of question for any reasonable adult. Although i still wish they have 4runner type CRAFTSMANSHIP and QUALITY in Sequoia. I see lot of unfinished, un-rounded, flaky plastic/ dash parts, though very minute but noticeable compared to 4Runner. The interior lacks the solid look like 4Runner, instrument panels need to be re adjusted. Trip computer on top is very uncomfortable to see while driving and similarly other features distract if you try to operate while driving. Very obvious that Sequoia needs update in near future. The leather seats are very comfortable but lack finishing like 4Runner.

I read that Sequoia had 65% parts from japan so i can assume that engine, drive train, axles, suspension and all the critical equipment will still be top quality like other toyota and lexus.

Thought very happy with my purchase, got some what new styled Sequoia, still fear they will come out with new model very soon, shouldn't be before end of 2006.

The comfort and space is perfect, can ride 8 ppl very comfortably. Above all, wife is happier with Sequoia.

Asif
  • kumarkumar Member Posts: 22
    how do I wire a backup camera (installed in the license plate) to a windshield monitor? should I route the wires through underbody, or go from the ceiling? anyone has experience to share for such installation? appreciate....
    does anyone here own a sequioa. i am 17 years old and i am looking into buying a used 2001 or 2002 model and i want to know about what you guys think of them
    what do all of you sequoia drivers get on gas mileage
  • chirodocchirodoc Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 05 Sequioa. I'm coming from a 97 Expedition. What a change!! We just love this vechicle. We are still getting used to the gagets and changes. We bought a limited. I changed to snow tires and old tundra wheels immediately. Went to 16 in. (stock 17 in). We'll change back in March.

We took 3rd seat out, bought a cargo liner and find it a bit narrower but a bit longer and lower. Lower is nice for loading and easier for dog.

Only wish the ABS worked at slower speeds. We go down a very steep hill to our home and the ABS did not kick in. Expedition didn't do well either. Only the subaru's I'm owned and of all things my '92 Suburban worked at almost o MPH to 5 or so.

Anyway, the drivability and fun factor are at a all time high.
  • chirodocchirodoc Member Posts: 3
    correction above
    You should read tons of posts on this forum. That can answer your question. I dont understand why you need Seq if you are just 17. Sequoia is full size SUV serving needs of big family. You should go with 4Runner or Rav4.

Asif
    becuz i like sequoias and i want a vehicle with power
    i am considering a 4 runner or a tundra but i have no interest whatsoever in those crappy rav4s
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    A 4Runner(V6 model)has more than enough power as long as you are not towing anything. Also, you can save even more money because you get better gas mileage with a V6.
    nw:

You want to buy a Sequoia "becuz i like sequoias and i want a vehicle with power"

The first part of your answer is fine, nothing wrong with wanting anything you can afford. However, I have some problem with the second part - i.e., you "want a vehicle with power". Really ? Well, why not try the Escallade/Denali XL with the 6L motor, or the Navigator with the 5.4L motor, or the Armada with the 5.4L motor, rather than the Sequoia with the 4.7L motor.

Is the looks of the Sequoia you like ? Methinks there are far better *lookers* than the Sequoia among full-size SUVs. Someone already pointed out to you that the Sequoia is for large families not for 17 year-olds. But suit yourself, buy what you want, and best of luck to you.
    the reason i dont want the others are 2 reasons. first one: those are much more expensive than sequoias. seconds one: toyotas have just about ben proven to be more reliable than american cars
    i currently drive a 94 gmc jimmy which i believe is comparable to size of a four runner and i dont really like the small feel on it
    if there is any full size suv on the market with the reliabilty of a toyota can someone tell me
  • climber3climber3 Member Posts: 13
    Has anybody heard when, if ever, Toyota will start producing a Sequoia hybrid?
    What do one of these go for and how can a 17 year old afford one?
    first of all i have a job and my dad is going to help me make payments. i expect to get one for about 18 thousand
    Honestly, I don't believe you'll find one for that price this year. A search in my area (100 mile radius) didn't have anything below $23,500. But good luck.
    personally i just asked for opinions from people that own a sequoia not telling me what a search in your area brought up.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Take a look at our Consumer Ratings & Reviews for more real world opinions.

Steve, Host
  • husky92husky92 Member Posts: 56
    Maybe next time, don't mention that you are 17. I don't mention that I'm 35 when I make a post because I don't think it's relevant. Since you provided it as the first statement in your post, people seem to make a point to add their own personal commentary on why a 17 year old should or should not drive a Sequoia.
  • kumarkumar Member Posts: 22
    anyone could share your experience adding a Pioneer AVIC-N1 DVD navigation system to Sequoia? how much you paid? how is the installation process? any impact to the existing functions like steer wheel radio control buttons and rear seat audio?
  • glenski01glenski01 Member Posts: 44
    Does anybody know if there will be a new model Sequoia for 06. Currently have an 04 4Runner V8 that I love, but need longer wheelbase unit for my new travel trailer, thinking about an Armada or Sequoia. Thinking Sequoia, while a great vehicle is due for updating.
    The Tundra truck will be redesigned for 2007. Probably released mid to late 2006. Since Sequoia is based on tundra platform it will likely be redesigned after tundra. Toyota is building a new plant in Austin Texas for Tundra. It is very likely that toyota will not release 2 new vehicles at the same time. Also the current significant modification to Sequoia looks, eninge and transmission indicate that toyota wants to give sequoia a boost for next few yrs. I would say it is very likely that we will see 2008 Seq in early 2007. So the current 2005 model will atleast last 2 full yrs.

Comparing Seq with new 4Runner, it feels Seq needs an update in interior. The configuration is little hap-hazzard unlike 4Runner which feels like a cock pit with all gauges and instruments placed very logically. On the other hand, Seq has more interior room and longer wheel base. It can haul 8 adults very easily. The quality of ride is excellent. With the new looks it is very much similar to 4runner front look. For a second, you can confuse the seq with 4Runner if just looking at front grill. MPG is around 15, mixed city and highway with around 13 mpg stop and go intown driving.

My suggestion, if you need more room outside or inside go for Sequoia. I did same.

Asif
  • kw6kw6 Member Posts: 26
    The new Toyota plant is in San Antonio, about 90 miles south of Austin.
  • sam20sam20 Member Posts: 8
    i have been trying to get some info.in regard to the towing capability of the sequoia but have not been ableto do that.i am looking for more towing capability than my 4runner 2003 v6 which will tow 6400# with a frame mounted hitch,its hp is 245 and torque at 283 ft.lbs.the 4runner v8 with 235 hp and torque of 325 with a frame mounted hitch will tow 7000#.the sequoia with 282 hp and torque of 325 is only rated by toyota at 6200#.the gmc yukon which is about the same size of vehicle with 285 hp and and torque of 295 will tow 7800#.if you look at the consumers rating by edmunds both are the same with 9.4 and 9.5.i have had remmendous reliability with my previous 1996 4runner with 480,000km.(300,000 miles),therefor i would prefer the sequoia but its towing rating is considerable less than what is want.any comments sam
  • sam20sam20 Member Posts: 8
    you do realize that the towing capability of the v6 4runner with a frame mounted hitch is about 6400# compared to the sequoia which is 6200#.the 4runner v8 can tow 7000#

thanks
  • arslanarslan Member Posts: 36
    Has anyone purchased an extended warranty from Toyota prior to the expiration of the original warranty?

Just curious as to whether Toyota dealers, expecially in MD/DC area would offer competitive pricing.
    I purchased mine from a dealer in VA, right by the DC border off I-95(Kay Jennings I think it was) after reading many posts here on Edmunds. One of the members (cliffy1) works there and gave a great deal (1/2 price) as compared to what my local dealers wanted. Contact cliffy1 and see what he says.
  • flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    Bought a 6yr/100K platinum warranty for $915 plus tax, which is $100 over "cost" on my '01 SR5 4WD. I would not pay anymore than that. Have had roughly same amount of claims through 88K miles due to a rear axel seal replacement. Worth piece of mind, I suppose.
  • arslanarslan Member Posts: 36
    ss/ff4 - Thanks for the info.
  • sakssaks Member Posts: 8
    We are in the process of ordering a 2005 Limited with the Luxury Package as well as other options. My question is about the wood trim. The LX pkg states it includes "wood grain style trim". There is an additional accessory listed called the "Molded Dash Applique". The dealer we are dealing with is charging us for the molded dash applique in addition to the LX package. Another dealer told us the dash applique was included in LX pkg. We are also getting the Navigation system and want to make sure the wood trim is on this portion of the dash as seen in the brochure.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    if you are going to tow something that is pushing the limits of 3 tons or more, a larger, wider track vehicle is probably better. as far as hp/torque ratings go, it depends at where in the power band those numbers you quote happen. the yukon most likely makes more torque at a lower, and probably broader range than the sequoia. this allows it to have a higher towing capacity.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    I just bought a 2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 (2wd) with all the options except a sunroof and heated seats. It had 43,000+ miles on it.

So far a very very nice vehicle. We took it on a road trip this weekend and averaged about 17.5 mpg on the highway at speeds of ~70+ mph. We got about 15.5 mpg in a mix of suburban and city driving (Houston). Is this consistant with everyone elses experience? The trip computer seems to read about 1-2 mpg high.

We did have our VSC computer replaced by the selling dealer for a cost of $1558. They offered a 3 month 3000 miles full warranty on all their used vehicles and they had to eat the cost.

We originally considered a Tahoe, Yukon, and Navigator. I'm glad we ended up with the Sequoia.

Extended warranties, any opinions?
    What did you pay for this vehicle ?
  • ibmindlessibmindless Member Posts: 62
    I have a 2005 Seq. Ltd. 2WD w/Nav & Rear DVD and the LX package. The wood comes standard with that package. Just call the dealer and advise them that you won't be paying for any wood applique since you know it's a standard equipment feature of the LX package.
  • aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    Somewhere between $23.5k and $24.5k. This is a range because I had a trade in and the range that Terry on the Real-World-Trade-In-Values board gave me for my 2002 CR-V EX was between $13.5k and $14.5k. I paid a difference of $10,000.

The paperwork said that my trade-in was $14,135 and the Sequoia was $24,135. Those are just numbers that can be played anyway you want it.

I'm very happy with my deal. Please don't tell me that I paid too much, because I don't think I want to know :)