Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• mulligan101mulligan101 Member Posts: 12
    We just had the same thing happen to our 2001. Let's see what our dealer has to say.
  • pebrupebru Member Posts: 10
    The plastic handle snapped off my 2002 SR5 when I pulled on it to close the rear hatch about 2 years ago when it was cold. The dealer replaced it under warranty with a woven fabric one which is still standing up. I believe he only had to remove the plastic cover and then unscrew the metal retainer to remove the broken pieces and replace it with a new handle.
  • steve959steve959 Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Sequoia had intermittent problem with the alarm signal "Brake" appears on the instrument panel. It showed up several months after I bought it new from the dealer in Dallas. One time the brake applied by itself when I was driving, luckily it wasn't on the freeway, but other than that there's no obvious brake problem. The dealer first replaced the brake, then the anti-lock brake sensor (?), then the electronic board (?) then last year the master cylinder. They also want to do a tune up for $850 but I kindly declined. The last fix made the problem disappeared for a while, but now the alarm signal started to come back intermittently.

I'm wondering anyone has seen the same problem or whether it's in the recent recall list. Thanks.

Steve
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    or mal-adjusted brake fluid level sensor?

Try topping off the fluid level.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    So many issues with the Sequoia lately... My 2001 has had some problems but not anywhere close to what many are experiencing on the newer models. On the '01s, the biggest issues I can recall are (a) brake issues (too small calipers, replaced under TSB recall), (b) snapping off the leather trunk closer (mine has snapped off too), and (c) overly sensitive VSC system. But these issues pale in comparison to those on newer models. This is disappointing, owning a truck that should be more reliable, but appears to be so-so.

Overall, my '01 with 61K miles is kinda OK. I don't drive it much lately, but it needs new tires. The third set. The current Michelin LTX M/S went barely 40K miles. I will replace with the Cross Terrains which are much better rated than the LTX. My brakes are also needing replacement. The third set after only 61K miles. I suppose that's to be expected for such a heavy f/s truck. I should just trade out of the Seq. but the spouse is adamant on keeping it.... We'll see....
  • jhump62jhump62 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 4WD Sequoia with about 63K on it, and have had a few high dollar issues, most notably the brakes and the A/C. At a mileage of 34K, the brake light kept coming on, and the front end vibrated a bit. I checked the brake fluid, it was ok; Dealer said the seals on the master cylinder were deformed. Luckily, it was under warranty. Then, at 46K, the brake light goes on again. Fluid level is fine, dealer says vacuum booster needs replacing, that cost me $1450. Most recently, at a mileage of 63K, the A/C has failed, and the dealer says the compressor seized. Repair costs will be about $2200. Sure wish I had bought the extended warranty. Otherwise, I'm very pleased with the handling, comfort, and size of the Sequoia. It's done well during two separate cross-country trips, driving from Alaska to Southern California and from California to Connecticut, hauling 2000 pounds of household necessities, camping gear, and a family of 4.
  • ronstoyronstoy Member Posts: 55
    I thought the A/C problem was a TSB that Toyota had from the compressor seizing up. You ought to do a search on this board and double check. You might be able to get some reimbursement from your repair if it was a TSB.
    :)
  • hosscj7hosscj7 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 with 65000 miles, A/C went out about 5 weeks ago. Called Toyota directly they were no help. The dealer quoted 2700. to repair.Talked to the service manager at the dealership and raised he**. The service manager called a Rep. from Gulf States. They came back and with a proposal if I pay for labor Toyota will cover the rest. 400 total for labor. Dont back down. This is the only problem I have had with the vehicle.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I just read on autospies that the new Sequoia will be introduced in the Detroit auto show. Supposedly it will have a definite "Lexus-like" feel and will have design features similar to a toyota pickup concept vehicle making the rounds in the autoshow circuit now.

I just hope they finally put a full center armrest on this truck so that I can put it on my list of possible future purchases. I just can't be comfortable with those skinny fold-down thingies.

Anyone out there have any more info on the new sequoia?
  • lumber2lumber2 Member Posts: 184
    2001s have a well known history of brake and a/c problems. Go check the Edmunds board on sequoia and problems. Suffice to say that Toyota is paying $$$ even out of warranty for these items as there is a long standing TSB on the subjects.
    Suggest you go have a talk to the dealer about these TSBs and get some money back
  • flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    Those armrests are indeed terrible.
  • carlosmcarlosm Member Posts: 3
    I have the same issue. I just took my 2002 Sequoia SR5 (43K miles) to my local dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong. They said it's the Braking system releasing and that it was normal. (?).
  • glassbudglassbud Member Posts: 12
    Help! My brand new (3 week old) SR5 has a glitch in the electrical system and the dealer can't find it... The door locks, windows, rear wiper and defroster work intermittently. The dealer thought the relay box was getting wet so they replaced it and tested it (wet I think??), but that did not solve the problem. All other systems are operating perfectly. Anyone else have or know about this problem? It sounds like a short to me, but can happen in an instant even when driving or sitting at a stop light. I'm really frustrated with this vehicle. I've owned Toyota's my whole life and NEVER had a problem like this... Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, David
  • motorawaymotoraway Member Posts: 3
    Hey all-

Sorry to bother the masses with something so mundane, but I've been trying to determine what most of you are using to clean and polish the wheels on the Sequoia. I've got a 2004 Limited 4x4 in black and I can get it looking pretty sharp but the wheels never seem to stay clean for any amount of time. I know the factory 17" wheels are "alloy" but does anyone have any suggestions on shining them without pitting or etching them?

Thanks!
    Ken
  • gferrarogferraro Member Posts: 5
    Petro33,

I am interrested in knowing if you use a brake controller?
    I will be pulling a 5200 lbs trailer with my seq 2001 and I need a brake controller. I can see by the fuse box a connection with 4 wires unused and I am wandering if this is what I should use for my brake controller.
    Thanks in advance for the help
    Guy
  • gferrarogferraro Member Posts: 5
    Happycc,

You were looking fro a brake controller for your sequoia, did you ever find one and which one did you get?
    I looking into pulling a 5200 lbs travel trailers and need to kow other have done.
    Thanks for the info.
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    yes. I had the same four pin connector on my seq. This did not connect up with the normal rounld connector on travel trailers and I had to change it out when I got the brake controler installed. I'm not sure if you can get a brake controler hooked up with the origional four pin set up. i think it was origionally designed for boat trailers or small trailers. the round one has more connectors to work things like charging the trailer batteries when the engine is on.

I would not consider pulling my trailer without a controler that would activate the trailer brakes, not to mention I think its illegal in CA to tow a specific weight trailer without trailer brakes.

Hope this helps
  • mulligan101mulligan101 Member Posts: 12
    Had it fixed today by my local mechanic for $110 including the new handle mechanism. The dealer had estimated many hours of labor and many dollars. :D
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    Get the Tekonsha Prodigy....period. Best brake controller on the market with only the Jordan brake controller being it's equal. It's a four pin connector that I did myself, not using any connectors found under the dash. I'm pulling a 5,000 travel trailer with it. It fits nicely into the dash cut-out in the lower right portion of the dash, above your right knee. The four pins are for power, ground, brake pedal activation (green-white wire off the pedal switch) and Blue wire goes to the hitch connector. Picture of the Prodigy installed in my Sequoia. image
  • tjgeorgoatjgeorgoa Member Posts: 1
    What can I expect for Gas mileage on a 2005 Sequoia Limited 2 wheel drive. I am looking for both highway and city.
  • 02sequoiaguy02sequoiaguy Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an 02 TS Sr5 that doesn't say Sequoia or V8 on the back. The only marking it has is the Toyota emblem. Does anyone know why that might be? It was originally registered as a fleet vehicle and shows no damage reported on CarFax.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    There are quite a few people who prefer not to have some or all of a vehicles emblems on the vehicle. It is not unusual for them to be "missing" as they have been removed. Just to check, open the hatch and look for a small, rectangular sticker with the VIN # on it. If this is there, it is the original rear hatch, and wasn't a replacement.

Hope this helps.

Toyota Ken
  • prupru Member Posts: 9
    We're getting 14.9mpg combined (as related by the trip computer). We've got just over 7,000 miles on our '05 SR5 and I've changed to Mobil1 full synthetic and use a K&N air filter. I've got an '04 Tundra SR5 access cab with the same 4.7L (but rated 240 hp, as opposed to 282 hp in the Seq.) and get just about the same (13k miles and I've tracked every gallon of gas I've ever used in it)..

Conversely, I have a cousin that just purchased an '05 Tundra 4-door (282 hp w/a cab height camper shell) and reports 17 mpg, mostly highway driving. I've never gotten that in either of my two vehicles.

Am interested in anyone elses' thoughts about this. I'm not surprised, but wouldn't complain if mileage were better either...
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    AQccording to the computer on my 04 I'm getting 16.9 mpg with about 70% on highway.
  • 02sequoiaguy02sequoiaguy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Toyota Ken. Are you saying that many people have the lettering removed, or are they manufactured this way via custom order etc.?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't know how many do it but the Badge/emblem removal techniques discussion never was all that active. But some dental floss and WD-40 type spray will usually get rid of them.

Steve, Host
    They are never manufactured this way as that is part of how the manufacturers advertise. LOL But it isn't uncommon at all for people to remove them by themselves.

And your welcome.

Toyota Ken
  • blackdog4blackdog4 Member Posts: 67
    Does anyone know when the next major upgrade of the Sequoia will occur?
    With the Sequoia being based on the Tundra platform, it should follow the redesign of the Tundra which is scheduled for 2007 as 2008 model year vehicles. My guess is that it will come at the same time, but may follow the Tundra changover by a few months.

Ken
  • besbes Member Posts: 1
    I do a lot of hwy driving. I have great experience with Michelins in past (2 cars, 1 suv).
    I need to replace dunlops on 04 sequoia, at 60,000miles. I like the look of Dunlops on the sequoia, but wondering if I am missing potentially better ride with Michelins on this suv.

Did you consider or were the michelin LTX suv tires an option?
    I always heard bridgestones were louder??
    I live in KY and we get isolated snow, the dunlops did OK last winter.
    Did you have Dunlops originally and like Michelins better?

Thank you!!
  • chimemakerchimemaker Member Posts: 11
    I just had my 60k service done on my 03 Sequoia SR5 2WD. It's a P.I.A. to have to keep changing the plugs every 30k! Anyone changed to the Platinum Plugs?
    Is there any engine/performnce problems that will occur if I do? Anyone tried it?
    Thanks. :confuse:
  • raymurraymur Member Posts: 29
    If you want your tire problems solved. Install Michelin LTX M+S, make sure you have them balanced at a Toyota Dealer. Most tire dealers do not have the correct procedure or equipment to balance them correctly.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Search this forum and you'll find a lot of posts on tires.

My '01 SR5 came with the Duellers. I replaced them at 25K miles with the Michelin LTX M+S. Very good tires, quiet and comfortable on all roads. Now at 61K miles, I will be replacing them with the Michelin CrossTerrains. The latter is a much better tire, from what I've read, than the LTX. You can certainly get them for about the same price as the LTX.
  • sikoyasikoya Member Posts: 4
    Did you find the solution on the vibration problem that you are having in your Sequoia? I am asking because I have the same problem on my 2005 Sequoia Limited. Thanks!
  • arslanarslan Member Posts: 36
    I just had Michelin Cross Terrains installed at a Sears Auto Center. With an alignment, which, btw, resolved my long standing alignment issue, I paid approx. $850. Of course, my deal excluded the Road Hazzard Program, which is around $16 per tire. I'm very satisfied with the job and the tires.
  • kodmcckodmcc Member Posts: 4
    I've also installed Cross Terrains, for one because they carry a 65K tread warranty.
    After barely getting 20K on my previous Duelers and Dunlops I'm very curious if these will get 3 times the mileage from the OEM tires. Regardless of the mileage they handle so much better on the hiway and in the snow.

Why do they put such lousy tires on these vehicles OEM... I thought the Duelers were the worst until I got the Dunlops...
    Why?? Because they're cheap. WHen they're brand new they ride smooth most of the time. So nobody cares. Everyone's happy b/c they just got a new vehicle. I't similar to the OEM car speakers. They are the cheap b/c no one can see them. You can only tell when you take the door panel off and see how cheap the paper cone is.
  • arslanarslan Member Posts: 36
    Did you upgrade your Sequoia's speakers? If so, what did you purchase and where did you have it installed? Btw, I'm also located in MD.
    I didn't upgrade. Only thing I did was change out the tweeters and added a subwoofer and amp. I want to change the head unit but don't want to lose the steering wheel controls as I've goten so used to them. My brother did it at his Stereo shop in VA. BTW, I changed the tweeter to MB Quart and also added XM Radio.
  • prupru Member Posts: 9
    I run LTX M/S on my '04 Tundra and bought a 5800 mile '05 Sequoia demo. Within two weeks, I replaced the stock Dunlops w/Cross Terrains. Even my wife noticed the difference in ride. (that's saying something, believe me) I love the LTX's and would have put them on the Seq but that tire didn't come in stock size for my 17" wheels. We've already had multiple opportunities to check out the wet weather handling of the Cross Terrains and that, coupled with the smoothness & sound reduction, has caused us to determine this is a great tire for the Sequoia.
  • accordfreakaccordfreak Member Posts: 39
    I really like the Sequoia, but maybe I'm too spoiled driving cars all these years. The interior is too truck like. I want the added room the Sequoia adds, but rather have in dash of the 05 Odyssey. I was hoping Toyota would make some changes fro 2006. Any one know if it might happen? I'd also want XM radio standard, but heck you can always add it afterwards. I appreciate the feedback. Oh, are the running boards worth getting? My wife is 5' and seemed to have a hard time getting in at the car show. I can just imagine being is a dress or at least dressed up and trying to get in. :P
    Actually, based upon feedback from more than 650 surveys on Tirerack.com the Yokohama GeoLander H/T-S G051 rates No.1 amongst the 62 tires in this class. The Michelin Cross-Terrains rate No.5 at a much higher price. The LTX M/S came in at No. 6. $95 vs. $145 was just the icing on the cake.
  • laurence1laurence1 Member Posts: 1
    How much did it cost to get you rear door latch fixed? Did Toyota cover it?
  • raymurraymur Member Posts: 29
    That's seems pretty scientific, a survey at Tirerack.com. Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that Tirerack.com pushes these tires. Try some light reading like Consumer Reports, Road and Track, Car and Driver or reading the posts on these Bulletin Boards. The Michelins are the superior tire for both wear and traction.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Tire Rack also sells Michelins, so I suspect they'd be happy to sell you either brand if they stock the size.

More in Tires, tires, tires or you can even ask a Tire Rack rep for an opinion:

Ask Connor at The Tire Rack

Steve, Host
    Sorry I touched a nerve raymur. Guess you feel a need to defend your purchase. If you visited the site you'd see how the survey works and you can place your own credence on the data. The fact is that it's very comprehensive and works much like Consumer Reports in their surveys. ...but I won't bore you with facts. I'll get back to my light reading.
  • maccreadymaccready Member Posts: 1
    Steve -

I have had the exact same problem, with no fixing. My dealer claims it is due to either my brake pads or fluids being too low and that will fix it. I have a 2003 SR5 also. I was hoping the recall fix would eliminate this. The problem is it is so intermittent, I can only describe it to the dealer -- they never duplicate it. It happens on the highway after I usually hit the brakes and if I turn off the car, it stops.

If you ever got a solution, I would love to know. :)
  • streets57streets57 Member Posts: 3
    8/01/05
    Toyota Sequoia rear hatch latch assembly replacement.

I recently found it necessary to replace the rear hatch door latch assembly. It had broken and there was no way to open the rear hatch from the inside or outside.
    The 2001 Sequoia sold in 2000 had 89,000 miles and was maintained well. It looks like this plastic part that failed is just a weak design and most or all will fail at some point.

1. You can open the rear hatch from the outside if you can get the small piece of the broken lever out of the square hole that is on the right side of the handle grip area. You will need to use a strong piece of wire or a screwdriver type tool with a slight bend on the end. The lever that pulls on the cable that opens the latch is located above the opening in the handle grip area, accessed through the small square hole. Insert the tool that you made and fish around to find the cable lever, you will need to have the tool pointed up to find the lever. Once you find the lever pull down to pull the lever. Note: make sure that the hatch is unlocked or it won’t open.
    2. If you can’t locate the lever or can’t make it open from the outside you will need to do it from the inside of the vehicle. This isn’t fun but it can be accomplished with a little sweat and a few choice words thrown in.
    3. You can work from the outside of the truck at this point, roll the rear glass down to give you access. The plastic trim pieces on each side of the rear glass can de popped off by hand, they each have three plastic barbs that hold them on. Remove them carefully and pull straight out to remove them, this will give you access to the large rear piece of plastic trim that covers the inside of the rear door.
    4. Remove the vinyl pull-strap that is located on the rear panel, use a #2 philips to do this. Now start to remove the large inside door panel. This panel has the rear glass inside rubber anti-rattle blade attached to the top of it. (If you were able to open the hatch door from the outside you can remove the inside panel by starting at the bottom of the panel and using a thin blade to lift the panel away from the door and then pop the plastic barbs loose, then lift it up and off of the door sheet-metal.) Starting at one corner, bend out and pull up on the panel where it is hooked over the top of the window opening sheet-metal. It takes a little force to get it started but be persistent, once it is started work towards the other end. Once it’s loose at the top you can reach inside and pop loose the plastic barbs that retain the panel and remove it completely.
    5. You now have access to the inside of the hatch. Remove the three round rubber grommets, this give you access to the latch lever that pulls on the release cable. Reach inside with a screwdriver push down on the lever and you will be able to release the latch on the hatch door and open it.
    6. There is a white plastic cover covering the cable attachment point, remove it by pulling down and away from the assembly, it clips onto the assembly bracket and helps secure the cable to the lever attachment point. You can now release the cable from the assembly, remove the screws holding the license plate recess cover and the nut holding the key cylinder assembly and then remove the cable assembly bracket, (two nuts). Now you can remove the license plate recess panel and the broken latch lever assembly that is attached to it as a unit.
    7. You can’t just purchase the ($2.00) plastic piece that broke, Toyota will make you purchase the entire assembly, $63.00. By the way I shopped around and got three different estimates from Toyota Dealers, ranging from $280 to $360 to do this job. This first repair took me seven hours because I didn’t know what I was doing, I spent 3 hours just attempting to open the hatch, I could do it now in about two hours.
  • ohioseqohioseq Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03' Sequoia with 38K miles. The interior door latch handle on the rear passenger side door began to crack and eventually broke off. After careful inspection of the other 3, I found the drivers door latch handle has a crack as well. Anyone experiencing the same problems? I sent an e-mail to Toyota Corporate to see if I can get them replaced under warranty, but I haven't received a reply yet. Obviously a real pain to exit the vehicle. Could this be one of the parts that fall under the lifetime warranty (similar to seatbelts)?
    Any help is appreciated...Thanks!
  • bradespbradesp Member Posts: 21
    Guys,

I'm looking to buy a used Landcruiser year 1999 or 2000 or a Sequoia year 2001 or 2002. Aside from the Sequoia being newer, are there any other pros' / con's to looking at purchasing one of these two vehicles?

Thanks!

bradesp