Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to talk with someone who bought a large suv or truck within the past year and is thinking about trading it in for a smaller vehicle. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info and vehicle info by Monday, May 1, 2006.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gvasudevangvasudevan Member Posts: 43
    I believe it is a manifold leak. Sequoia's and tundras have this ticking noise when you start it (when cold) and also under acceleration. Toyota will replace the manifolds if it is under warranty.
  • dhunzdhunz Member Posts: 3
    I had the exhaust manifolds replaced and it still thwaps under load. I have had two toyota dealers tell me that it what they sound like. I think that its bull! Thanks for your response.
  • flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    Wow - same problem, dhunz. Had both replaced last week. Ticking is gone upon start-up - still sounds like a diesel under moderate acceleration/load. My independent mechanic (works on Toyota and Lexus exclusively) just said that the V-8s get noiser over time??
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who just purchased or are looking to purchase a large SUV. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday May 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PST/8:00 PM EST containing your daytime contact information and the vehicle you are interested in purchasing or just purchased (please provide approx. date of purchase).

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • rod1966rod1966 Member Posts: 1
    Hello! i'm new here and would like to ask a question.
    i'm looking at a 2001 Sequoia SR5 4x4 104000k miles i was wondering was there any recalls or bulletins on this vehicle ? it's a one owner my neighbor,it's in good shape is there anything i should be concerned with? what's it worth? any info would be great, Thanks rod1966
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    I have a 2001 limited with 115,000, there were some TSBs (air conditioner, front brakes, radio, are a few I can think of), out on the vehicle but I don't know of any recalls. You can do a search here and find out. it has been a good vehicle with some expected brake problems plus a rear axel seal leak, rear window motor short. sounds like a lot but better than the ford van it relpaced. good luck!
    any word on the '07 sequoias, I hear that Tundras are getting a change, will the sequoias follow in their footsteps?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with consumers who have purchased All-Wheel-Drive vehicles, or would consider doing so next time they are in the market. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information and a few words about your level of interest in AWD.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    Had same issues - replaced radio head unit under warranty, rear axel seal under warranty, had the brake TSB performed and recently replaced both exhaust manifolds. Other than that, no other issues at 120K.
  • dwoofiedwoofie Member Posts: 4
    I am axiously awaiting information about the 2007 Sequoia as well. I have a 97 4Runner that I've been wanting to replace....now that the family as grown, I want a Sequoia, but I want the new model.....Perusing this board, I see a new redesign has been anticipated for a couple years.....I can't wait for an 08.....hopefully they'll release it soon! Any info would be greatly appreciated....
  • deviyiyadeviyiya Member Posts: 25
    My 2003 Seq. shifter D light was replaced two weeks ago and it just went out again. does anyone else experiencing this? Anyone has a solution or suggestion why this is happening? The seq. has only 31K miles.
  • 456rbp456rbp Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I have a toyota sequioa 01 that I bought used. My problem is that now when we press the breaks the Suv Steering wheel moves and vibrates. Is this what was happening with yours and if so?Did taking it in to the dealership solve this problem?
  • chihchih Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

have anyone use Amoil before? if yes, please tell me your experience or what did you know about this product. Thanks
    get a mechanic to check your front break. when your the disc brake worn out un-evenly, your steering will vibrate anytime you step on your brake.
    just as shih stated ....steering wheel vibration is a common problem when front brakes are wearing out and the front rotors are slightly warped, all will be fixed by a front brake job
  • imbe4uimbe4u Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Sequoia Limited...my VSC/TRACK light also keeps going on and off. The dealer tells me that it's my Skid Control Computer...and they want to charge me $1600 dollars to repair it....

I called national Toyota Customer Service to complain, but since I have 44K on my car they said I had to pay out of pocket...is there anything that I can do?
  • frugalguyfrugalguy Member Posts: 9
    If you are referring to Amsoil synthetic oil, then I have some relevant info for you. First it was the first and still is among the best of the synthetic oils. However just like anything else, it has its proper useage and it also has its HYPE. If you are the kind of person who drives harshly or under difficult circumstances, then Amsoil or any other synthetic will be a step up in oil. Most drivers can even extend the time between changes a great deal (at least double). If you have been not faithful with your oil changes and wish to flush out sludges and become a better steward of your engine, Synthetic is a good place to go. Please realize that car builders have to pay a ton of money when their engines fail under warranty so their recommendations are usually quite good. Also, in european high end cars, the oil change sensor usually tells the driver to change their synthetic oil at around 15k to 18k miles (europeans think that americans are nuts for changing oil that is only mildly dirty since oil is SUPPOSED to TAKE THE DIRT AWAY FROM THE ENGINE and give the big particles to the filter and keep the ultra micro sized particles in the oil as "dirt"). The best thing that I can tell you is that you cannot go wrong with AMSOIL and their filter system but it is one of many good oils. PS: Additives are for only damaged or racing situations.
  • frugalguyfrugalguy Member Posts: 9
    The Indiana plant is into its retool to produce the 2007 Tundra/Sequoia. As a retired quality control engineer in the automotive industry, I may suggest that you wait until the new models "shake out" their new model glitches before buying one. Our data over the years show very clearly that the initial model year of any completely new platform will take a reliability hit of about 45% more problems during the first 3 production months (this is true even with the high quality of Toyota systems and platforms). The reliability continues to improve and levels off at about 18 months when the reliability hit is down to 10% more problems vs. the last model's 12 month production run. If you are a "reliability geek" like me, the last model year prior to a new platform is the best but America runs on "new and improved" and "upgrade" so I encourage all to not necessarily follow my path!

Dave
    this is a first time i use amsoil on my sequoia under warranty. i used to use mobil 1 from costco. i am very skeptical about amsoil due to way they are conducting their business (like amway). i read some other forums about amsoil and other synthetic oil products, they all have pros and cons to it. but one question i can't seem to find the answer that if amsoil is so good, why don't we see it any where like mobil 1 or other type of oil? why do we have to buy from independent dealer with add additional cost for shipping. anyway, i am thinking to go back to mobil 1 oil and oil filter which much more cheaper and oil can be changed every 10,000 mile or more too. if other people have anything in mind, please join in this discussion. thanks
  • hawkwebhawkweb Member Posts: 1
    Looking to understand how the airbags work. I was involved in an accident with my 02 Sequoia in which I was hit in my front right corner at about 40 mph. The force of the small sedan took the Sequoia and spun it around easily. The damage to the Seq was limited to the small section, but totalled the vehicle. The frame is bent, the engine shifted etc etc. The other car isn't a car anymore. Had my son in the vehicle and we both simply unbuckled and walked away. The car did a great job in protection... BUT no airbag deployment. Does that sound right?
  • bruixotbruixot Member Posts: 1
    How airbags work (and sometimes they don't): in the case you described, if the Toyota system is typical of most, the sensor system would be expected to call for airbag deployment if it detected both a frontal collision and a "delta V" or vehicle velocity above a certain threshold. It is quite possible that the velocity component was detected but the sensor portion looking for a true frontal (head-on) event was not satisfied. So the "two votes" needed were possibly not there. Remember that airbags are considered "supplemental" and not required or intended to deploy in quartering collisions. True head-on collisions are statistically somewhat uncommon (compared to all collision types) at somewhere around 5 percent of all collisions. A deploying airbag is a potentially lethal missile, with a typical energy level of a 9mm bullet. Airbags do a great deal of damage to people and might even cause more serious injuries than they prevent. Remember that it was a government bureaucrat and not a safety engineer who forced airbags on the manufacturers, and Volvo correctly predicted that airbags at the force levels called for by NHTSA would kill a lot of people, and particularly children and small women. History has shown that they were correct. European safety agencies would not approve the high-force US airbag types for their local market versions, and instead permitted lower-powered systems because some European were taken in by the hype. It took a while for the US Dept of Transportation and NHTSA to catch on to what the European safety people knew all along, so today US vehicles have so-called second generation airbag systems (in large part because the first generation types were simply too dangerous, and of course they continue to kill people). I've been a product safety engineer for over 20 years and I could not imagine a more foolish, dangerous, and cost-inefficient concept than the US airbag program. That is probably more rant than you wanted.
  • abwabw Member Posts: 2
    dave,
    i am in the market for the sequoia and was just at the dealership talking with the salesguy and he said he "thinks" that the 07 sequoia will have a hybrid option. he couldn't tell me for sure one way or the other which i thought was odd. anyway, if they are going to have that option in 07 i would want to wait for it, but if not then i want to go ahead and get the 06 (which you are saying is a better idea anyway - which i totally believe by your logic). do you have any information as to whether the 07 sequioa will have a hybrid option? thanks so much,
    ann
    Ann - Did the sales guy give any indication of WHEN the 2007 Sequoia will be out? I'm now seeing stuff about the 2008 being the redesign.....Also, a lot of hybrids don't really bring you the savings many think unless you drive LOTS of mileage....

Diane
  • leonpmcleonpmc Member Posts: 3
    I've owned my 2001 SR-5 for five years now, with no major problems. It only has 35,000 miles. Its the best car I've ever owned, and virtually all of the cars I owned prior to my Sequoia were Mercedes, VW, or Volvo.

I recently locked myself out of the Sequoia, far from my home. So I called AAA and the roadside assistant arrived with all of the latest break-in tools. I have lots of experience at breaking into locked cars: I worked at a towing garage many decades ago. Still, this is not an easy car to break into. It took three people, two different shaped wire tools, and lots of patient precision to break into the Sequoia by tripping the door lock mechanism on the passenger side.

Now I need a foolproof strategy to plant a hide a key somewhere under the vehicle. Ideally the hide-a-key would be housed in a small metal container, magnetized to the frame, and that container could only be opened with my fingerprint. Is there such an animal? Any advice on how I could do this without the use of an electronic device?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That reminds me - I need to check my hide-a-keys to make sure they are still under my bumpers. I've lost one or two over the years. Now I rig a short length of cord to the container as a backup in case the magnet pops loose.

Mine are just the plain $2 variety. I cut some foam to fit the inside of the case and smear the key with grease to keep the rust down.

A door keypad like Ford has on some of its cars would be real handy.

Steve, Host
  • abwabw Member Posts: 2
    Diane, I am sorry that I am just now getting the notice that you posted something to my comment so am just now getting back to you. The sales guy was pretty vague about the Sequoia but said that the Tundra was supposed to have a total new redesign and possibly hybrid option in early 2007. I did see on the Toyota website that they are redesigning the Tundra for 07 but nothing about the Sequoia. The sales guy said that since they are basically built on the same platform the Sequoia would not be far behind. But he could not really tell me anything specific. I wish I knew more!
    Ann
  • bigboytoybigboytoy Member Posts: 6
    I recently purchased a new Sequoia. I have about 400 miles on it. I have the trailer towing package which includes the 4.10 diff ratio. I tried to get one w/o the trailer package but they said that is the only way they ship them to the dealers. I would have to order one with a different ratio. What's the deal here? Why the 4.10 ratio? I will not do ANY towing. I am presently getting 11 mpg. Will it improve? :mad:
  • bigboytoybigboytoy Member Posts: 6
    I recently purchased a new Sequoia. I have about 400 miles on it. I have the trailer towing package which includes the 4.10 diff ratio. I tried to get one w/o the trailer package but they said that is the only way they ship them to the dealers. I would have to order one with a different ratio. What's the deal here? Why the 4.10 ratio? I will not do ANY towing. I am presently getting 11 mpg. Will it improve?
    Most new rigs tend to improve their mpg as the engine breaks in - my minivan's mileage keep improving out past 10,000 miles.

Please report on your mpg in the Toyota Sequoia: MPG - Real World Numbers discussion.
  • sirrafsirraf Member Posts: 55
    Host... It's about time that Toyota developed a new model Sequoia. I know that Toyota keeps this infomation under wraps but maybe there could be a new forum titled "Wish list for new Sequoia"?
    Great idea! Here you go:

Wish list for new Sequoia
  • hottoyofanhottoyofan Member Posts: 9
    I've been shopping and bugging my local Toyota guys about the new Toyota Sequoia for the last two years since Toyota missed the normal 4-5 year redesign cycle. Earlier this year the manager told me the design change will be in late 2007 on the 2008 Sequoia package. After the Tundra changes, Toyota is moving and building a new plant (I think I remember him saying in Texas) where the Sequoia and it's Lexus version will be built. I hope that helps you on your choice. I've stuck with my 02 and will patiently wait for the the new release.
  • dingchavezdingchavez Member Posts: 19
    These vehicles are gracious and luxurious. Even though it doesn't have a lexus badge it's made by the same company. I have a family member that was bouncing around in her decision to buy a Chrysler 300C, Lexus GS or ES and an Infiniti M. She has now decided on the Toyota Sequoia. I know several people that own them and they all love them.

Hopefully my family member will get one the end of this year or early January. She doesn't really care if it's the current model or the new one. The current model is gorgeous. If anyone has anymore info on a release date or specs on the new Sequoia I would appreciate you sharing the info...thanks.
    Good, so hopefully the body style they have now will be out for another model year, 07. And the 08's will be delivered in August. I really adore the current body style.
    I have an 'o1 with 120,000 and am looking to replace it. My goal is to get one that will tow a bigger trailer. Looks like Tundra will do that in '07 with a bigger engine so we can expect that in the '08 sequoia. Take a good look at the '07 tundra (engine, transmission, dash layout, etc)and I am sure you will see the '08 sequoia.
    I hear you, the new style will have to wait till 08. I just got off the phone with one of the toyota dealers and she told me that the body style they have now, will not change until 08. I won't be able to purchase mine until the beggining of next year, so that works for me.
  • harboharbo Member Posts: 136
    Please let me know your experience with the Alpine system. A happy but "booming" Sequoia.
  • amheck1amheck1 Member Posts: 44
    2007 Sequoia is listed on toyota.com now. Doesn't look to be a re-design. Bummer. I wanted to trade in my 2004 4Runner, but I really wanted a new design. maybe I can hold out another year. Oh well.
    Bummer...I want to trade my 1997!!! 4Runner. I don't know that I can wait another year...I've been waiting for 2 already...not sure what to do.....I hate to buy the last model year, then it looks old too fast (yes, I'm one of them!). Sigh....I should have bought it 2 years ago when I first wanted one... I've also noticed a lot of ads in magazine for the Sequoia...another hint it wouldn't be changing this year...
  • sirrafsirraf Member Posts: 55
    I also have been waiting for a couple of years and I now believe that the next generation Sequoia is just around the corner. The 2007 looks like the same tired model with nothing new.

With the new Tundra coming out in a few months and the fact that Toyota is now offering a rebate to move the Sequoia the replacement should not be long. I just hope that it comes out in the spring as a 2008.

I, for one, am going to wait for the 2nd generation Sequoia!
  • lorihalllorihall Member Posts: 3
    I have been having a lot of problems with my Sequoia since around 3,000 miles. My 2005 SUV was in the repair shop many time. They told me the the vibration I was feeling was normal and all of my other problems were also normal. I finially took it to a different Toyota service center and I also called Toyota Corp and reported what has been goiong on. While at a differnt service center about an hour away. I went over all of my problems and they said what I was describing is NOT normal. They have replaced several things so far.
    The vibrations I was feeling every so often while driving:
    They test drove it and said no this should not be happening. 1st they flushed the transmission, which did not solve the problem and now they found that the torque converter is bad. they are replacing it as I type. They told me this may not fix the problem but they pritty sure this is the probelm...
    I have 4 wheel drive problems sometimes it will take 2 minutes for it to kick in, odor smell, hesataion, back hatch won't open sometimes, feels like I have been rearended while I am at a stop light, and transmission. This service center said most of the problems are fixed and parts have been replaced. They can not figure out the 4 wheel drive problem Yet
  • sdawessdawes Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I am new to this so bare with me. I just wanted to let you know that I have a 2006 Sequoia which I leased in November, 2005 and am trying to sell or have someone take over the lease. My husband and I have our own construction business and we thought leasing was a good idea. Not only has it been a bad idea for us due to the mileage, but a luxury vehicle just isn't as good as a different type of SUV would be with the type of business we are in. I previously had a Ford Excursion which I sold because I had never had the luxuries which my Sequoia has and thought that was a big deal at the time. I am now realizing that the Excursion was better for me in the business we are in. I am looking for someone interested in either buying the Sequoia outright or taking over the lease from me. Do you know of anyone who might be interested? The Sequoia is a 4x2 SR5, fully loaded. It has leather interior, moonroof, 6 disc changer, rear air, power seats, windows and locks, spoiler, keyless entry, 3rd row seats and more. It currently has a little over 11,000 miles on it. It is brand new. I love this vehicle but we just can't afford to keep both, the Sequoia and another SUV.
    We aren't set up for buying and selling on the forum but there are leasing outfits that will connect you with people interested in buying out your lease.

Check out these recent blogs for more:

Question of the Day - Ending Lease Early

Getting Rid of My Lease

The Lease Termination Fees and other costs discussion also has some threads about early lease returns. Good luck!
  • leonpmcleonpmc Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Sequoia with the standard JBL stereo which works very well, but I want to get Sirius Satellite Radio for my Sequoia now. Has anyone converted their older system to Sirius? Any suggestions? Do I need to get rid of the existing CD/Cassette/FM deck? Is there a similar product that I can place in the dashboard with Sirius/CD/Cassette?
  • sdawessdawes Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the information. I actually already have my Sequoia on Swapalease.com. Just thought I would put the word out there to see if anyone is interested. Thanks again.
  • harryliuusaharryliuusa Member Posts: 22
    My 2004 Sequoia with 50K has a lot of marks/scratches on the glass, recently
    it further hit by something created a hole (not through).
    Thinking about replacing a new one if it worth it.

Reasons of thinking to replace:
    1. Too many scratches and a hole on, it distracts viewing.
    2. Wondering if the glass has any kind of improvement which will a better
    shielding to sunlight? I feel hot and sometimes a little burning on skin
    driving in summer. Comparing to my wife's Accord, her car never gave me
    such burning feel no matter how hot it is. Is it common on a Sequoia?

Thank you for any info. What will it cost me?
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    I haven't been on the forum in a long time, but wanted to say goodbye. Our 2001 Sequoia went back to the bank on Thursday. :cry: She was a great truck (never had a problem) but we simply didn't need her capacity anymore and went with a Subaru Tribeca. :D

Good luck to everybody and enjoy your Sequoias.
    Enjoy the B9 - you got Harvest Gold, right? :D