Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• baseballmom97baseballmom97 Member Posts: 101
    Thanks for the input so far.

Here's another interesting twist to the situation:

We stopped by the Toyota dealer today to have the service department look at the plastic that is peeling off the rear bumper to see if it is covered under warranty. While we were waiting for the service manager, I walked onto the sales floor and ended up speaking to the general manager of the dealership about when the 2008 Sequoias are expected in. He said they wouldn't get them until Dec. or Jan. and they would either be an '08 or '09 model -- he wasn't sure but knew they would be a lot bigger.

I asked if he could get any 2007 Sequoias in yet -- he said probably. Then I mentioned that I had a leased 2004 Seq. that is up in December. He said "let me take a look at it."

Then he said he'll look for a 2007 with the options that we want and that we might just be able to buy out the 2004 and then trade it to him for the 2007. Our buy-out price from the leasing company (not Toyota Financial) is $24,178. He said that way we would avoid the charges for the excess mileage, dings, and worn tires (the back tires are awful) and he said we also wouldn't pay tax. He seemed to be very excited about the Sequoia -- said they're hard to come by...not sure if this was a line.

We've never done this type of deal before. If it works out for us to buy the 2004 Seq., trade it towards a 2007 and end up with no money taken out of the savings account, no money down and roughly the same monthly lease payment that I currently have ($501), I'm inclined to think it's a fair deal. What am I missing and what should I look for to make sure we don't get taken?? Thanks again!
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I'm not as trusting as you. Don't buy the Sequoia unless you are going to keep it is my opinion. But first, don't risk personal injury to yourself and others because you want to save $500 on tires. If the tires are really that bad, get two new rear tires. One wreck due to loss of traction or a blowout between now and the time the lease expires will cause you much aggravation, not to mention some new insurance rates.

If your dealer wants to sell or lease you a new Sequoia, work that deal separately forgoing any trade-in. I wouldn't buy it to trade it in. If you want another Sequoia, jump on the internet and look for one, and don't wait until your lease is up. Obviously money isn't too much of an issue since you'd be in for two new vehicle payments. You might want to consider ownership this time around.
  • baseballmom97baseballmom97 Member Posts: 101
    Good advice, Caddmeyer, thanks!

Yes, I will get the tires replaced -- they are okay -- just need to be done before Winter -- we will be making a final decision on whether to keep or turn in the vehicle in the next week.

Actually, I'm not that trusting but we've bought 3 cars from this dealership and have gotten fair deals everytime through negotiating. I will not get taken on this deal and agree that I definitely need to work the trade-in separate from the purchase of the new Sequoia. My thinking is that if the dealer wants the 2004 Seq. so badly, he has to make it worth my while for me to go through the hassle of buying out the old one and trading it.

Here are the possible scenarios:

1) Turn in '04 Seq. at end of lease -- pay excess mileage, wear and tear charges plus $395 lease end price (option not to buy -- bank snuck that one in there.) We're talking probably in the $1000 - 1500 range.

2) Buy out '04 Seq. for $24,178 plus tax and keep. Yes, and replace tires!

3) Buy out '04 Seq., don't pay tax or excess wear and tear charges. Trade to dealer for '07 Seq. The only way for this deal to work is if he sells the '07 below invoice (with $1500 cash back) and gives me exactly the residual value for my '04.

Does this make sense?
    Thanks again!
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I am not sure which model Sequoia you have now. You can buy a 2007 Limited for about $35k base. We just bought a loaded one that listed for almost $52k for $41k. That price on your 2004 seems high to me with what needs to be done. The price of gas has shot the big SUVs down here. Lots of Toyota dealers willing to go way under invoice to move big SUVs and PU trucks. I like mine except the NAV.
    I have a 2007 Sequoia with NAV. I find it very poor on giving directions. I have put in several known places that are long established roads, this NAV does not route even close to the best routes. It would have taken me 6 miles out of the way to my brother in laws place today. It gives 3 routes. The shortest was on a dirt road that is gated forest service land. Been closed for years. This may be acceptable in some locations, not San Diego county so far. It has all the road names correct and the GPS tracks fine. It just does not do an acceptable job finding a good route. At this point I am sorry I bought the limited with NAV.
  • mroehemroehe Member Posts: 2
    79,000 miles and as others - Gas Gauge stopped working 300.00 for it, the back latch broke 300.00 for it, Check Engine not that simple 600.00 for that, and now at this 79,000 miles the electric locks unlock if I make quick right turns. Along with this the open door flashes if bumpy road and one last thing happened twice and thank god went off. That security key that flashes- in the wee hours horn started and lights flickered for no apparent reason and then stopped???? (do not have remote for this model?)
    Any suggestions or others with cost on this?
  • jspagna1jspagna1 Member Posts: 34
    I can't believe the new Sequoia is not going to be available till Dec 2007 or Jan 2008. They have already introduced the Tundra and now I see that the 2008 Land Cruiser is out. I would think toyota would have done it the otherway around being that the Sequoia is more popular IMO.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=123006
  • carlover20carlover20 Member Posts: 20
    I am a High School student and looking for my first car. I want something reliable and with 4WD, in central New York you get a lot of snow. I haved looked at many suv's, I dont like the rav-4, 4runner (before 2003), and Highlander. I like the Sequoia and Land Cruiser although the Land Cruiser is to expensive. My budget is $16,000. Does anybody have any suggestions.
    You are probably stuck buying a 4-6 year old Sequoia or Land cruiser. Normally they hold their value pretty well. With the high price of gas you can find people that just want out and get a bargain. Have it all checked out by a good mechanic. Especially if there is no warranty left. Good luck.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    How about a brand new Subaru Impreza??? All Subaru's have all-wheel drive and usually nothing is more reliable than a new vehicle. If you're under 18, a parent would probably co-sign since you already have 80% of the money anyway. Or, just lease for two-to-three years and you'll have money left over provided you keep the mileage low.

Last but least, consider snow tires. 4WD or all-wheel drive help, but snow tires are what keep you planted to the roadway during the snow and ice season no matter what you drive. Tire Rack can help you with that.
  • pedal2dmetalpedal2dmetal Member Posts: 19
    I could not agree more..., a Subaru will surely fit the need, function, budget, and practicality. I suggest any of the Subaru's since they all have AWD. If you want good balance with 4 doors, young group to attract, I suggest any 04-06 WRX. You will most likely find one with with low miles and around 10K with change to spare to cover maintenance, insurance, and fuel costs. Good luck...
  • pedal2dmetalpedal2dmetal Member Posts: 19
    I suggest to have the NAV reset including the compass. If your compass is off track and not pointing magnetic North when needed, you surely will be off on any location you attempt to program. I personally do not have a built in NAV on my 04 Sequoia, but I have several hand held and dash top placed GPS systems I've used. Also, check your default settings and make sure the appropriate options are on or off. Example, route preference, highway, side street, or off road. Routing, automatic, audible prompt, or none... The only item I say can really get you off track if all has been done and said is your area. Make sure to at least get 3-4 satellite connections. A good connection will show several to a handfull of sattelite direct line of sight on your horizon, 45% above, and directly above you. Make sure to also enable WAS.
    Make sure to also enable WAS.

What is that? The NAV is very accurate for GPS location. It is just not good at routing. It gives 3 choices and none are the best of known routes. Maybe I am expecting too much AI out of the NAV. It does not take the shortest route most times. Or it directs you on roads that do not go all the way through to your destination. We drove it extensively in the area of San Diego that is now on fire. If I was not very familiar with that area the NAV could send you on a dead end road. That could be dangerous in an evacuation situation. If I had it to do over I would not have bought the SUV with NAV or the useless backseat DVD player. I would have installed a Pioneer NAV. I thought all Toyota NAV units were voice operated also. I just got some old technology in a new vehicle. I guess that is why they were so heavily discounted. It drives and handles nice.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    On your limited budget, a Sequoia would be a really bad idea. The cost of gas would kill you.

Get a small FWD or AWD car and put a set of snow tires on it. I lived in Ithaca for 4 years and did just fine with a rear wheel drive car. There's no need for a big truck that gets 12 mpg.
  • chack1chack1 Member Posts: 3
    My 03 Sequoia liftage cable snapped last week- at least it sounded like the cable. Dealer wants $350 to fix-ouch.
    Could I please get the directions on how to go abput repairing this myeslf please?
  • blkrobblkrob Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if anyone knows why my tcs light has come on in my 03 seq. 4wd and has stayed on, my engine light came on about the same time. I put the obd2 on it and it pulls a code for an o2 sensor. can anyone advise whether the lights are related to each other and what could be the problem. any advice would be appreciated.
  • purehogmanpurehogman Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone experienced an exhaust leak in their cabins when accelerating to pass a vehicle or decellerating from passing? My 2007 Seqouia Limited, has been doing this for about 6 months, I have relative whom has a 2005 who is experiencing same thing. I noticed one other complaint filed with NHSA.

This is a very strong odor that has caused my passengers to become nauseated, and puts you to sleep when driving long distances. Of course Toyota says they can't "replicate" the problem? I have 30K miles on vehicle, and more than 10 very educated friends have all complained about this.

If you have experienced this problem, please let me know!
    Welcome to the forum.
    I have a 2007 Sequoia Limited. I will give it a try. I am fairly passive driver so I have not done much fast accelerating yet. Less than 1000 miles on it. I will post if I smell the exhaust. Do you have the luxury package with the captains chairs in 2nd row? Not that it should make any difference.
    Thanks, yes I have the luxury package with middle 2 bucket seats, my exhaust tip comes out back of vehicle with silver tip.
  • harleymomaharleymoma Member Posts: 1
    I also have this problem. My Toyota dealer was able to witness the odor...they put an extension tip on the exhaust, per Toyota corp's instruction. This didn't solve the problem. and they said there was no other solution...next step is arbitration. My Sequoia is a 2007 with only 4600 miles on it. (mine is not a limited)
    Thanks, please let me know about the arbitration. I guess that will be my next step. I have other issues with this vehicle that Toyota dealership states they can't "verify---. Ever since I got the Seqouia, it has leaned to the left, they say that the bumpers are of equal distance from the ground, but any slightly educated person can see this leans. The ride is horrendous, very shaky and bumpy. How can other Seqouia owners say great ride?
    Thanks!
    Have you filed a complaint with the national highway safety commision? If not, please do so ASAP, place it under the Exhaust and Air Region. The direct link is:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    Greer
  • abbylouabbylou Member Posts: 33
    I have about 8500 miles on my new Sequoia, but something does not feel quite right with both the front seats as far as heat in them?? When I have set them in high, they don't even feel like they are on low and when I set them on low they feel lukewarm? Has anyone out there noticed if there seats seem cool for being heated? I traded in my 2002 4-Runner with factory seat heaters and they get alot warmer. The dealer wants to take the seats out and check the wiring? I am not so comfortable with that.
    That is so funny, and I thought it was just me! I have exact problem, when on low, I do get some heat, but when on high, I get very little heat, this Sequoia has problems!! What about any exhaust smell in your cabin??
    No exhaust smells or anything else..just the heated seats seem a bit strange. The dealer had it for two hrs and used some type of temp gauge for the seats but said that it was inconclusive, so now wants it for another couple of hrs to take the seat out and check wiring? Speaking of rocket science, shouldn't they either work or not?
    Please let me know what the outcome is. My local Toyota dealership is not worth a turd! They can never "replicate" any of my concerns, tell me it is just my imagination. I have had friends with enginerring degrees support my claims, but I am still "hallucinating?"
  • roburnroburn Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2006 SR5 2wd 27k miles. The sulfur/ammonia smell became noticeable when we drove with the back window down. It was very strong and can make you queazy. We took it into the dealer this week along with a Technical Service Bulletin #Service Bulletin Num : 01306 and NHTSA Item Number: 10021714. This states excessive sulfur odor. Long story, short: It was covered by the warranty, they are having to install a new exhaust all the way up to the manifold including the catalytic converter. I was told by Yota that the parts alone are about $2700.00. You can notice it when parked also if the wind is blowing right. The service rep told me it had something to do with sensors that are now made into the exhaust system and are malfunctioning somehow.
    Hope this gives some help.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks consumers who drive large SUVs. Please send your daytime contact information to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 14, 2007.
    Thanks, I plan to take mine back to dealer this week and will be armed with all the comments from this site and NHTSA, appreciate the heads up!
  • birddog127birddog127 Member Posts: 2
    For past year this suv will all sudden experience loss of power when driving down the interstate. Although you haven''t removed your foot from the accelerator pedal the engine seems to think you have. It starts slowing down for no reason. Sometimes at a stop sign I've noticed you have to push farther down on the accelerator pedal than normal to get it to go. Dealership says it's not throwing a bad code so they can't find anything wrong. Had throttle body cleaned but still doing the loss of power thing. If I recall back about year ago when problem first started the VSC light came on for while but went off. This is very annoying and kind of a safety issue to us. Can anyone tell me how to get this fixed? thanks
    I have noticed this off and on, it happened out of blue last week, have not really thought much about it, guess was thinking fuel filter needed changed but forget about until it happens. It has nearly placed me in danger before as I pull out onto highway from side street, then I loose power. Let me know what you discover!
  • birddog127birddog127 Member Posts: 2
    You aren't gonna believe this but I thought I would check the brake fluid. It was on the minimum line so I filled it back up to the maximum line. The Sequoia has not cut out while driving since. Only time will tell, but check the level of brake fluid. I heard someone else talking about their Toyota doing same thing except the brake light came on. They filled it back up and it fixed the problem.
    Bought a 2007 Sequoia and was not really ready to pay what Toyota wanted for the DVD/Nav since all I wanted was the Nav, but can the dealer install the Nav after the fact? I have the 10 speaker JBL system. I thought about the portable, but like having the dash clear.
    Do some research. The Toyota NAV in my 07 Sequoia is not that great. There are much better in dash units for a lot less money.
  • ownutahownutah Member Posts: 7
    Hi there,

I am considering buying a Yakima Sky Box Pro 21 to place on my 07 Toyota Sequoia. Has anyone here put a box like this on a Sequoia? If so what has your experience been with milage and wind noise from the box. http://images.ems.com/media/images/products/210/21023/2102315/210231575/21023157- 5_400-a.jpg">link title
    Thanks in advance,

Robert
  • seqouiadsumsseqouiadsums Member Posts: 6
    I just recently bought an 01 Sequoia and the previous owner started to install fog lights but never got around to hooking them up to a switch. I would like to know what is the best way to hook them up so that I can switch them on/ off in the cab and also have them turn off when I turn off my regular lights. I have been looking around for a description for dummies like me but can't seem to find one. I know enough about electrical to install them but I need some help to make sure I don't fry my other electrical. Thanks
  • mdawg25mdawg25 Member Posts: 23
    Yeah, the 45 mph thing is just a safety thing. I noticed it even says that on little u-haul trailers. The Sequoia is capable of pulling far faster than that. I've pulled a pop up camper about 80 across Wyoming.
  • mdawg25mdawg25 Member Posts: 23
    Uhhh... The Sienna is a minivan, not an SUV
  • brownlbjbrownlbj Member Posts: 1
    Can I use a wire cloth hanger?
  • seqouiadsumsseqouiadsums Member Posts: 6
    Hello everyone. I have a 2001 sequoia SR5 with the standard light switch on the steering column (not the multi funtion switch) and would like to install fog lights. I currently have: OEM wiring harness intact and ready to be plugged into lights, Fog lights with OEM connector installed in position in the bumper, 15 amp fuse installed in fog lamp slot. When I plug the lights in they do not turn on. Suggestions!!! I would like to run it through the OEM system to make it easy. Any help would be greatly apprecitated. Directions, Instructions, Step by Steps. Thanks.
  • jeremy77wajeremy77wa Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to find out the same information, I am looking at the silver Yakima Sky Box Pro for my 04 Toyota Sequoia. Did you end up getting it?
  • vike84vike84 Member Posts: 2
    oh boy yes i have and u must be pulling your hair out over this, I bought a 2002 sequioa and had everyone and there brother try to change the mode from 1 to anything, the problem with this was located on a lexus question site, and your answer my friend on how to change this to any mode is, turn it to on position for the key,(you dont need the parking brake), and hold the door lock button for "exactly" 5 seconds (use a watch), tada, it will quickly unlock and lock and your mode is changed to whichever you want. I dont have any idea why toyota says to hold the button for at least 5 seconds, it should say only 5 seconds and not 1 less or 1 more second...... Good Luck and rogaine should grow back the hair clumps that im sure you pulled out already..... :mad: :cry: :P
  • vike84vike84 Member Posts: 2
    I would like to change alot of the items you listed in your above thread, but how do you enter this program to change these codes? the only thing in my users manual that came with my sequoia was how to change the automatic locks, and that was a chore to figure out that you needed to hold the lock down for exactly 5 seconds and not at least like the manual stated.... any information you have for where to find out how to change each of these options would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

mattmead635084@hotmail.com :confuse:
  • trucker01trucker01 Member Posts: 2
    This is a known problem and I have taken two different earlier model Sequoia's to the dealer where both were diagnosed in less than 10 minutes with having a warped exhaust manifold. This could be a potential life threatening problem as the exhaust gases could get into the passenger compartment and kill the passengers. If sufficient number of complaints are raised,with DOT a recall could happen.
  • trucker01trucker01 Member Posts: 2
    This is a known problem to all Toyota dealers. I have taken two different earlier model Toyota Sequois to the dealers where both trucks were diagnosed in less than 10 minutes with having a warped exhaust manifold.

At the onset of problem, there will be an increase in the level of engine noise (promindue to the leak in the exhaust manifold).
    As the manifold warps further and the leak increases, the check engine light would come on as the level of Oxygen the Catalytic Converter Bank-1 will drop, and OBDII code of P0420 would reported.

All those who have had this problem should report this problem to the sites listed below, as well as to Toyota US, Toyota Canada, and Toyota Mexico

This could be a potential life threatening problem as the exhaust gases could get into the passenger compartment and kill the passengers. If sufficient number of complaints are raised and registered with the following organizations, a recall may happen:
    Depart Of Transportation
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(NHTSA)
    Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)
    Transport Canada

Please note that fixing this at the Toyota dealer will set you backup $3000+ for each side of the exhaust manifold when using Toyota parts, then the manifold will warp again in a year or two!!!! You can try buying after market parts where the manifolds sell for $200 and the oxygen sensors sell for about $100, plus labour (a hit in the pocket of about $1000).
  • cyw928cyw928 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Sequoia 2wd with 39,500 miles of mostly local driving and a couple of trips from Los Angeles to San Francisco and L.A. to Las Vegas. The local mileage is 10 mpg and the best mileage on the highage being 17 mpg. I should count my blessings that so far I haven't had some of the problems that the other owners have had except the lousy gas mileage and the broken liftgate handle. Do I have to contact Toyota about the TSB bulletin on the brakes?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you are a Toyota owner and interested in sharing your reaction to the recall with reporters, send an email stating the vehicle you own, your telephone number, and the best time you can be reached.

Send to: karen@edmunds.com
  • tantontanton Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had problems with the interior lights not shutting off after 20 mins (as per the manual).

The dome lights and headlights all shut down after 20min but if the kids leave a reading light on the batt is dead in the am. Plus the courtesy lights (the little ones on the bottom of the doors) do not shut off either .

The dealer seems to think this is ok... I don;t think so... the manual states the to preserve the batt life all the light are supposed to shut down after 20 min.. Batt has been dead about 6 times in the last 3 months.

It has an auto starter installed and I have asked them to check to see if this is interfering...

any ideas
  • seq200246seq200246 Member Posts: 3
    I have this same problem with my 2002 Sequoia SR5. It started at around 26000 miles and continues today at 59000 miles. From the many posts on many web sites that I've read, it appears the replacement ECMs ($2000-$3500) are no quarantee that the problem will be go away. I believe this is an electrical system failure that Toyota and NHTSA have been ignoring for years due to the high cost of a recall. I have again written to my congressman about this. It may take a "death count" for them to act on this. I will never again spend $42700.00 on a Toyota vehicle.
  • mordlymordly Member Posts: 1
    hey I've been searching around on the internet for the exact same fix....please let me know if you have come across the information to activated the foglights for the Sequoia. I actually have them installed but wont come on. I to have the 2001 SR5

thanks a million ahead of time,

Carl

ps email me at: Shuckyducky222@aol.com