Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    Ok so the dealer I bought the car from couldn't figure out the problem and sent the car to an actual Mazda dealer to do the repair.

They are saying now that it is the OTHER catalytic converter, and have to order the part.

Does the Miata have a front and back cat? Is this a silly question? Do all cars have a front and back cat?
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    Are you in California or something? I didn't know of any car with 2 catalytic converters...

Have you considered a tune-up?
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    um, older mustang V8s had SIX. two is not at all weird.

but that said, I'm not positive what years of Miata have two cats.

~Colin
    Just found out that in CA Miata's do indeed have 2 CATs. Supposedly the emissions parts have an 8yr/80k warranty on them as well. I'll bet the Honda dealer I bought it from is wishing they checked on that before replacing all these parts themselves. :D

Oh and WRX's also have two CATS so I don't think it is all that uncommon.
    ...then again, we don't even have emissions testing here in Missouri.

Tee hee.
    You also don't have the worst air in the country due to an obscene number of automobiles. :D

But hey, if it helps makes the air a few percentage points cleaner, I'm all for it.

So I got the Miata back and it seems to be running more smoothly than before. Maybe its psychological. Can't wait to take it to the canyons! :)
    Hey there.

Has your top leaked through the glass window? I've got the side windows sealed up OK but the rear window seems to be leaking were the seams have come loose. If I remember right, yours was doing this too (coming loose). Does yours leak too? Have you had any luck fixing it? I was thinking about using some weather-proof silicone goop to try to plug up the seams...not sure how effective that would be...

When it rains pretty steady for a few hours, I get standing water in my "shelf" behind the seats underneath where the window is. The inside of the top gets damp and the moisture clearly spreads from the window out.

Next time, I'll get a Robbins top... :(
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    My Robbins top is water tight so far but that wind noise on the driver's side is back again. Not too bad, though.

-juice
    Well I am in Southern California, so not much chance to test the leak in the rain. I have tried pouring water directly on the top, but have so far been unsuccessful in recreating the leak situation. I am guessing at this point that some fool didn't latch the top down fully, or left the windows slightly ajar before the night of that rain storm.

"Next time, I'll get a Robbins top..."
    What type of top are you currently using? Are you not happy with it?

On my old Miata I replaced the top with a Robbins vinyl top w/ plastic window (for economic reasons) and was very happy with it. Didn't have any problems with rain afterwards, and that was in Savannah. GA, so there was plenty of it around.
    I obught my top from a fellow member, but the top originally came from this place:

http://aabestco.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=1300&lastcatid=963&amp- ;step=4

And no...I'm not too happy with it. I'd have to say that this is a good example of getting what you pay for.
  • kaspar10kaspar10 Member Posts: 11
    My gas gauge never reads full, only goes to about 3/4 and stops. As I drive it starts to fall and will read correctly. when I fill up, I estimate how much it should take by the gauge reading and I am within 1/2 gallon of being right, so I am comfortable that it is reading correctly after it starts to fall. Any ideas??? Had my car now for almost a month!!!! '96 standard, 50k miles....geeez life is good!!! I am thinking of getting some braces for under the car and the engine bay and trunk. Will i be able to notice the difference in increased stiffness. Is it worth the money?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    My rear window never leaked. The top pulled away from the bottom of the window a total of maybe 1.5-2" in length and then stopped. I don't think it pulled far enough down to cause a leak. It just spread horizontally. How much has pulled away on your window? I would definitely try putting clear silicon along the bottom of the entire window. Once that stuff sets, it's pretty sticky and should be able to handle the stress of putting the top up and down as well as keep the rain out. Just think, if it does work, you still got a cheap reasonable quality glass window top. Other then the inferior glue they used around the window, the top seems pretty good. However, I feel really bad that I ever sold the darn thing because it was never my intention to aggravate another good member on here. I'm sorry it's been a problem for you. I was hoping the first top was a fluke, but I guess that's not the case. Maybe you could email the company and ask them what they suggest to fix it, not to mention complain to them about the crap glue they are using!

I no longer own the Miata as I have since sold it and then bought a 90 RX7 convertible to take its place (thankfully the top was replaced before I bought it and is of very high quality!). Good luck and let me know if the silicone stops the leak.
    I think they made the rear brace standard in '93 (I have it), and the front brace in '94. Yours might already have both. I'm talking on the under side.

You can add the spring tower braces front and rear and expect incremental improvements. I have the front spring tower brace and a home-made brace on the under side of my '93.

-juice
    No hard feelings towards you at all. Frankly, the price we agreed to is indicitive of the value of the top so I don't feel ripped off at all.

I'm just having some trouble with it and I was wondering if you had the same trouble, and if so, what you ahd done that helped or hurt. That's all. I'll try the silicone solution and see how it goes.

:)
    Anyone had good luck with any cheapo seat covers? I'm thinking sub $40-50 range. Any more and I'll just take the time to reupholster them myself. My seats have some rips in them in of all places the very tops of the head rests.
    Did you roll it at an autocross? :o)

-juice
    Nowhere around here has events...that I know of anyway. Honestly, I bought the car with the headrests ripped...really the only rough part of the interior. I have no idea how it happened to either one of them, much less both of them.
    I knew that, I was just teasing.

I wonder if you could get them reupholstered for cheap. Leather runs $900 for 5 seaters, so a 2 seater should run maybe $400-500. For cloth it should cost even less.

Look in your phone book under Auto - Upholstery. Call them and ask.

-juice
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    Hi.
    Can someone email me a couple of Miata only websites/forums? I've googled for some and can't find any.
    tobympls@mn.rr.com

Thanks!
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    In the Minneapolis area are discounted 5500-6000$ now, just an fyi.
    LOL...I know, I know.

My Dad ued to own an upholstery shop with my grandparents before it burned down when I was in high school so if I go all out and reupholster the seats, I'll probably do it myself (ourselves:).

What I'd really like to do is the put some 01+ seats in there...those are comfy. The NA seats are a bit small...if they were maybe 10-15% bigger they would be much better.
    I've heard of people across the country seeing ads for as much as $7k off of sticker for the 04 MSM from a Miata website which shall remain unnamed since I got sent to my room the last time I mentioned it...although a couple of dozen posts back I seem to recal seeing it mentioned.
    Maybe check a junk yard?

A place in Bridgeport, CT, had a wrecked Miata and I got all kinds of knick-knakcs off of it. I mean little latches and stuff that had broken on mine for the hood prop rod, the center console latch, stuff like that.

You might get lucky, who knows?

-juice
    I don't know of too many junkyards around here...I'd have to drive. I've tried ebay and the classifieds at the unnamed website I alluded to earlier without luck so far. Oh well, I'm in no hurry.
    I actually got the plastic latch that holds the prop rod in the lowered position.

Aftermarket vendors sell nice struts if you're into that sort of thing.

-juice
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    every Tuesday we have have a chat based on a Mazda platform (although we do tend to wander to all kinds of subjects) where you can meet and greet your fellow forum members. Hope to see YOU there tonight!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule
  • jwb18tjwb18t Member Posts: 45
    it? Just got a 2003 Miata LS, Black w/Tan leather and top, 17K miles, 5sp, Dunlop tires, and alloy wheels. Bought it for my wife for Christmas morning! After reading about half of the posts the first question that comes to mind is how do I tell if the car I bought has the sport suspension? Thanks,Jeff
    yellow bilstein struts. same (too-soft) springs.

~Colin
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    Hi ...

I am a refugee from the Subaru Boards,

I have my eye on a '99 with 19k miles from a Chrysler dealer. It is just off eBay and the pictures and info. looked really good. The dealers is about 100 miles from me and I will inspect before making an offer. I am hoping that the dealer will be in a position to deal... we are in Massachuettts, just got 18" of new snow, it is the end of the year and how many convertibles are sold in New England in the winter ...

This will not be a daily driver, will use my Forester and Saab for that, if I kept my Outback I could be just like Juice ... 2 Subarus and a Miata, not as car smart or handsome of course.

Jerry
    well, what are they asking? looks like KBB thinks that the car would be worth around $11,000-11,500 from a dealer. trade-in value is only $7,500 even in excellent condition, so there's your margin.

I agree with your general notion that the car will sell for more in the Spring than it will right now.

btw if it is 10th anniversary edition that changes things a bit, but not a whole lot.

~Colin
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    Yes, I checked that out also, it is a pretty good margin ... I would be happy to get it in the $9,000 range, perhaps thatisunrealisticbutI think I will start there. The buy it price on eBay was $11,500, there were no bids.
    I don't think $9,000 is unrealistic. be firm and if they don't budge, come back in February.

~c
    how many convertibles are sold in New England in the winter

0 or 1, depending upon whether you buy it or not.

:o)

-juice
    Just got a 2003 Miata LS, Black w/Tan leather and top, 17K miles, 5sp, Dunlop tires, and alloy wheels. Bought it for my wife for Christmas morning!

1. How do I tell if the car I bought has the sport suspension? "Yellow Bilstein Struts" Thx locke2c

2. Can I somehow get the original window sticker from Mazda?

3. How can I get the key code number?

4. Should I use synthetic oil?

5. I will be storing car for 3 months, should I fill tank and add Sta-Bil?

6. Regular or Premium fuel?

Any help will be appreciated, Thx Jeff
    2. nope

3. key code... um, dealer should be able to look

this up via the VIN.

4. yes absolutely in every car. the small premium every 4,000-7,5000 miles is certainly worth it. but IMO it's only "necessary" in a turbocharged engine.

5. yep that's exactly what you do!

6. regular. no need for more than 87 with the low compression, low output 1.8L.

~Colin
    Thanks very much for the information. Will change over to the synthetic on next oil change. Good to hear I did the right thing on the storage. Never have stored a car before but do store the rototiller. I did put about 3/4 of a tank of premium in though, in the habit from my 1.8t engine. Planning on changing the manual transmission oil and rear diff. oil in the spring. Can't wait till spring! Thanks again, Jeff
    Mazda recommends 91 octane for maximum perfomrance in the 01-present. With the VVT, the Miatas run much better on premium.

Had you purchased a 90-00, 87 octane is all you'd need.

Won't it be kind of a bummer to buy a "new" Miata just to stick in some barn somewhere for 3 months? :(
    The '00 has clutch chatter though, right? Or was that the '99.

I won't be in the market for a while but it's good to know this stuff.

-juice
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    With a redesigned Miata set to debut in the fairly near future, I'm surprised by the almost total lack of interest in discussing it on this board.

Come on people! Tell me what you know about the upcoming Miata.
    Not much talk about the NC b/c there isn't much good concrete info out there.

Car and Driver TV keeps showing one of the EARLY mules with an RX-8 front end and an NB rear and saying that a rotary option is in the works...all of that is pure Bravo Sierra.

Other rumors include power hartops, 2.0 / 2.3 L engines from the 3 and or 6, lower weight and warp drive with optional SUV seeking photon torpedos.

If I were in the market for a new Miata (which I'm not, my 90 A-package suitsw me just fine for now) I'd wait for the NC before buying a MSM...I wouldn't even consider a "regular" NB, been there, done that.
    It is a huge bummer to have it sitting there. We insured it for about 5 days so I could get it home, stash it at my neighbors, sneak over and get it into the garage on Christmas morning and them surprise my wife, then take it for test rides all Christmas day and the day after! Now the insurance is off. It snows quite a bit around here as well as there seems to be many areas that water comes across the road and freezes. Quite hazardous for a wee little Miata, My wife is driving her trusty CRV with Nokian Hakapplitta's on it for the winter! We cannot wait for April! Thx.
    optional SUV seeking photon torpedos

I'm holding out for that option. One more tall-mounted HID light on an SUV and I think I'd use it!

-juice
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Hope you can join us tonight for the first chat of the new year. Everything automotive is fair game, and the planning continues for our "meet up" to the Philadelphia Auto Show in Feb! Hope to see you there!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA MANIA chat is on TONIGHT. Join us for the '05 season of chat! Check out the schedule
  • eddie_heddie_h Member Posts: 1
    I'm an owner of a 91 NA. Love the car, but it's looking like it's time to let her go.

But it's abit exciting to be in the market for another vehicle again. Since the car is for me, and the wife has her own ... I think I'm going to go for something 'fun' again, to act as a daily commuter and a cruiser.

Any thoughts on the possible NC? I'm not sure I want to throw down $26K on a new convertible ... no matter how fun.

But a 99 or 00 NB can be found with decent miles for $8-10K. Not too shabby.

Other than the Miata, what other options are there for "fun to drive", frugal, RWD, sporty cars?

S2000 - too pricie

MR2 - dinasaur

Z4 - not interested in a 6 cylinder

Eclipse convertible - don't want FWD, poor reliability

Solara convertible - no thanx for a FWD

tC - another FWD

WRX - ugly, poor mileage, not interested in AWD

Any thoughts?
  • j.tullj.tull Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I recently got an '02 Miata and would like to find a car cover for outside use. I've read some reviews of a few different brands, but thought I'd ask here for any ideas, as I know many of you are true enthusiasts.

I would typically keep the car covered for 3 or four days at a time, parked either on the street or in a back lot.

Thanks a bunch
  • pcrpcr Member Posts: 14
    >I'm an owner of a 91 NA. Love the car, but it's >looking like it's time to let her go.

>...

>Any thoughts?

None here. You already own the perfect car :-).
    another Miata

Corolla SR5 (older models)

240SX

There's more but they're all pricier.

-juice
  • hercules00hercules00 Member Posts: 134
    I recently checked out a new 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata and it was awesome. It rode teriffic and is going for 20K. I thought this was the deal.

But ever since I have mentioned this to my friends, they have been laughing their heads off and taking all sorts of digs at me. Can a 23 year old guy not drive such an amazing car just because it was rated as a chic car? Is it seriously only a chick / gay / impotent old man car? I love the car but I simply dont understand all this opposition.
    I think the demographics are actually 65% male, something like that. 40+ years, married, college educated.

So you're a smart, middle-aged man. That's what it says about you.

Cabrio is the chick car, if that matter to you. More than 60% female owners.

-juice
    Interesting name considering the nature of your post. I recommend that you not let the ignorance of your freinds sway your decision. Wouldn't you be better off seeking advice from those that know what they are talking about.

If the perceived "girlyness" of your car is an important consideration to you, might I suggest watching Horsepower TV for a couple of weeks for some suggestions. A nice F-body or a Mustang should suit you. Or perhaps a giant SUV would work since it appears that gas mileage and "manliness" are inversely related you could go by that standard.

To me, I never felt more like I was driving a "chick" car than when I had an 02 Chevy Tahoe. Maybe it was because I bought it from my 5'2" mother-in-law or maybe it was because I saw mostly women driving them...how knows.

Either way, I didn't get rid of it b/c of the ignorant perceptions of others but rather I wanted a car that was fun to drive and economical. These characteristics are the embodiment of the Miata. If you are driven (like me) primarily by these two characteristics then ignore your friends and get yourself a Miata.