Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Isuzu Rodeo

Comments

• Options
    enriq212enriq212 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks that makes me feel like I am ok., with half their job. I am going to wait a while to see if it leaks really bad for right now it is just forming a drop on the tran oil pan but isnt enough to make a drip to the ground so if you know anything about mechanics and this let me know if I should go ahead and try to change the gasket.

I just dont want to mess with the atf because I was told if you mess with it you can mess up the tranny because of something or another. I really dont know how much its leaking because with the rodeo there is not a fluid level check, well there is but I dont have the tool tthe book says it has. If I can do the atf change myself then I would get the tools if not then I will wait to see if I can find my way to the dealer who will find whats wrong.

Personally I was trying to just do it myself and save money.
  • Options
    df2000df2000 Member Posts: 60
    You don't need any special tool what book said.
    I drain and fill 4 q of ATF once a year.
    Start cold in the morming, just let it idle for 5-10 min, trans pan should feel warm but not hot. There are 2 bolts in this pan, lower drain , upper check/fill, and yes, they both facing strait down. YOUR ENGINE SHOULD BE WORKING ALL THE TIME WHILE YOU OPEN CHECK BOLT! Or you will get shower of ATF(about 2q).
    Ok, now remove upper(check) bolt, if ATF drip out the level is OK; if nothing drip out your level is to low and you have to add some ATF until it start drip out. $6.00 hand pump, what srew on the botle from Advance Auto, works very well to do this.
    This year I reached 100K mi on my '97 so I also removed the pan and changed the filter. Old pan gasket was a REAL B*** to removed. It was nothing on the buttom of the pan and about 1/8" magnetic goo on the magnet, nothing in the filter. I feel like I just wasted my time and just one more way to mess up trans. I think periodic drain&fill or say every 30k flush is the way to go.
  • Options
    The book mentions a temperature gauge to check the atf temp and I thought that was a special tool because I can not find it. I was worried about doing a drain myself because of this but anyway I just did one in jiffy lube and 30k is great to hear because I wont have to do anything with the tranny for awhile. I checked the oil leak and was happy to see that the 1/4 of a turn that I gave the bottom screw may have fixed the problem.

Well, I will see once I drive the car for a long ride to verify my assumption. I can drain the tranny next time and if there is no leak I will leave the pan alone based on your experience. The oil I saw was coming from above the pan anyway so that will have to be investigated some more on my behalf I thought the oil might have been coming out of the gasket and seeping up the pan with wind and natural liquid tendency.

I have about 94000 miles on this vehicle and intend to use it for a long time. Right now I am just worried about the timing chain because its a big job that I cant tell if it was done during the 70000 maintenance because it wasn't mine then. And its a big job for something you aren't sure about. Also, I think that if I change it the shifting might improve because the car shifts so much from first to second and vice versa. That is what made me worry about the tran in the first place, but the hard shift from 2nd to stop happens on occasion. Hopefully it stops from now on.
  • Options
    bdq172bdq172 Member Posts: 1
    My 93 Rodeo, 3.2L, starts to overheat after I've been driving on the highway for 20 or 30 mins. When I shut the engine off for 5 minutes or so and restart it cools down to normal temperatures. I've replaced the radiator and water pump within the last 18 months. I removed the themostat but still have the problem. It doesn't seem to overheat driving around town. It starts when I'm on the freeway and I'm running above 2000 rpms for a sustained amount of time. When the car first started overheating, I replaced the thermostat and test drove it. I noticed afterwards that there was some radiator fluid leakage around the valve cover. Since then there has been no leakage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    nmwanderernmwanderer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Honda Passport.
    It starts fine in the morning when the weather is cool.
    In the evening, when the outside temp is over 90, it won't turn over.
    When I turn the key, nothing happens.
    I have to turn the wheels to get it to start.
    I have taken it in to the dealership and a local
    AAA certified service station.
    Neither has been able to solve the problem.
    Has any other Passport owner has this problem.
  • Options
    df2000df2000 Member Posts: 60
    No timing chain but timing belt. I saw isuzu TSB somethere, they revised timing belt change intervals, I believe '99 now 105K mi normal service. I think consensus on the Web you can go easy to 120K on timing belt. At least nobody report belt broke in less 120K. I still have original one. But see, my '97 is SOHC which is not enterferance design, if it broke it just inconvenience.
    Your '99 is DOHC which is a different story. Oh well... it is up to you.
    I saw one isuzu belt after 60K, it looks brand new.
  • Options
    Alright that makes me loose alot that was on my mind. I dont need to worry about the timing belt thanks so much for your mentioning that stuff. The Rodeo has been great I usually have had bad experiences with used cars, but not this one....knock on wood. :D
  • Options
    amysfriendamysfriend Member Posts: 3
    You're probably right. At least about the attractive part. Any ideas on how I can convince Amy she has been tricked? Maybe somehow educate her on how keyless remotes work?
  • Options
    djxtremedjxtreme Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking for 18 or 20" rims for my 98 rodeo for some time.
    I've ordered 2 different sets, in fact, BOTH of which didn't fit.
    They were both the HELO brand, and are what the DISTRIBUTOR said would fit. EVERY place I go says they simply aren't available...but by looking on places like cardomain.com, it's obvious they are.
    I just want chrome rims, and they've been impossible to find.
    They have the right bolt pattern, but the hole for the axle isn't big enough for the Rodeo's oversized dust cover.
    What fits!?
  • Options
    chrishallchrishall Member Posts: 3
    I own a '01 rodeo, 4wd, LS, 90k, auto, and when i take off and go very slow with the wheels turned, the rear wheel will make a popping noise and kind of stutter. the popping noise will only happen when i turn the steering wheel and start to take off at a very slow speed. when i turn left, it seems that its only the left back wheel that makes the noise.
    any ideas?

thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    Are you sure it's coming from the rear? If it is, it's probably the tire - take it to Discount tires and they'll tell you for sure and wont charge you anything.

However, very often you can't really hear where it's coming from. Check the front mud flaps. I have '01 rodeo as well and some time ago i noticed weird sounds when I was turning hard left at very slow speeds. It turned out that the front right wheel when turned all the way down to the left was scraping the mut flap. The dealer first told me that i had oversised tires (they apparently forgot to check the tire sizes) and then suggested I cut the mud flaps to fit better. Good suggestion, ah? :-)
  • Options
    masteryoda1masteryoda1 Member Posts: 3
    I would probably sit down with her and her keyless remote and go through its operation. Specifically, the button with little picture that shows a closed lock means: "Lock" and the button with the little picture that shows an open lock means: "unlock!" Then maybe show her the difference between different manufacturer's remotes. Just a thought.
  • Options
    kitty7kitty7 Member Posts: 1
    :sick: I have a 1995 Izuzu Rodeo that has been having some problems. When I am at an idle the RPM and Oil Pressure Gauge will wiggle slightly up and down. You can also hear the engine making slight revving noises in sequence with the wiggling of the RPM and Oil Pressure. The vehicle makes a slight back and forth jerking motion noticeable at 45 mph and up. I drove the vehicle down the road today and it died on me. The car will turn over but then dies. Does anyone have the slightest idea what might be going on? :confuse:
  • Options
    sinnersinner Member Posts: 1
    Hi all....first post here...seeking a lil information on a replacement engine. Im a lil disapointed that my '92 didnt hit the 300k mark but its been a great truck to me. Its by far the best 4x4 i have ever owned. It grossly outperformed any of my bigger ford, chevy, 4x4's . Anyway....its time to either move on to a new vehicle or rebuild the rodeo, since the body chassy and interior are so nice on the rodeo iv'e decided to rebuild her. Im planning a reman. motor new cv joints (assembally) (might as well while the engine is out..can you beleive what the dealership price is on these!!! 600$ ea.!!) ball joints, it'll be like brand new when were done. I was wondering if anyone here has ever done an engine swap on their older rodeo? If so what brand of engine did you use? Anyone know anything about ATK reman. engines? With core oreilly auto is asking $1200.00 for the original GM 3.1 v6. Sound like a fair deal? Any suggestions on where to buy my reman. motor? The only places i have to choose from in my area are....Oreilly , auto zone , napa , and parts america... If anybody has any feedback, i would appreciate it...Thanks....Wayne
  • Options
    thanks for the suggestion, but the tires do not rub. this issue only happens when the wheels are turned and going forward very slowly from a stop. i didn't know if maybe it was an issue with the LSD, wheel bearings, or rear end...
  • Options
    donnendonnen Member Posts: 3
    just bought 95 Isuzu Rodeo, has 172K miles on it. Ran really great on the way home. All that I have done is fill the tank, change out the oil and filter and then took it down and hosed out the engine compartment to clean excess grease and oil and such. Now there is a weird chattering/knocking sound coming from what seems to be top of engine. Only happens at idle and low speed. The sounds speeds up with the engine and then go away at higher rpms. Any ideas? Could I have messed up something at the carwash? :confuse:
  • Options
    In addition to the problems im now having, does anyone know how to hook up isuzu to code scanner? Where the OBD I connector is on 95 isuzu rodeo?
  • Options
    yumezeyumeze Member Posts: 1
    My car is overheating when im driving it for more than 20 mins. it only goes up in temp when im at a stand still, so i have been putting it in netrual and rev the engine a little to bring the temp back to normal.. the temp also goes back to normal once i start driving again. this happend once before about 9 months ago and i had the radiator flushed and new coolant put in. it did stop for a while but is back now. the fan turns on but i smell burnt coolant. could my water pump be burning out slowly??? :sick:
  • Options
    jeemanjeeman Member Posts: 1
    What kind of oil did you put in it?
  • Options
    rengattrengatt Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

Looking for some ideas to modify my Rodeo (sold in Australia as the Holden Frontera) does any one have sggestions as to bigger tyres, lift kit, ie

rengatt
  • Options
    Boris
    What kind of noise was your rodeo making? mine is making a clucking, popping noise whenever i take off at very slow speeds when the front wheels are turned.
    anyone have any ideas?
    thanks
  • Options
    trfsrfrtrfsrfr Member Posts: 1
    you didnt mention (i might not have seen)where you are from, but as far as engine replacement goes, i have done many, many. not knowing, or needing to know, where your area is, i would recommend this; go with a large, nationwide, engine replacement company. jasper engines comes to mind. ther are numerous others. the reason to go with a large company is this; nationwide warranty, and volume. who better to have build an engine than a company that rebuilds 2000 of the exact same type of engine, per year??? or, the local guy that re-builds 1 engine per year??? the mechanic at bobs auto repair down the road can rebuild your engine, but if he doesnt do it correctly, can he repair it when your car is 2000 miles away from home??? you ask about what a fair deal is? that depends. would you rather save a buck now, and have a problem happen when your 2000 miles away, because bob forgot something?? or, spend the extra dollar now to buy some piece of mind for when you drive to that destination 2000 miles away?? buying piece of mind is never a bad idea. spend the money. its a nice ride. i just bought a 2001 rodeo with 90,000 miles on it. i love it. i hope it lasts as long as yours before it needs and engine.
  • Options
    bayouchrisbayouchris Member Posts: 2
    DId you get this resolved?
  • Options
    ghedraghedra Member Posts: 1
    My tail lights, dash lights and cabin light will not come on. The head lights, break lights, turn signals and hazards all work. I have already checked all the fuses and relays I can find. There seems to be a seperate tail light relay on the wiring diagram I have, but it isn't on the fuse block under the hood. Any ideas?
  • Options
    I put in higher mileage quaker state oil. 5W30
  • Options
    stuballstuball Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 2000 Rodeo LS (used of course) with an automatic transmission.

I've a few question.
    What is the "Winter Drive" button? What does it do?
    What is the "Power Drive" button? What does it do?

In the back right side seat (passenger side) there is what I think is some kind of pocket. My wife thinks it needs to be sewn. Anyone have the same? or is it a rip?

Are there any "things" I need to know to get pleasure..not headaches for the vehicle?
  • Options
    I havea 1999 LS and wondered the same things when I got into using my vehicle.

The Winter Drive and Power Drive are explained in the user manual, if you dont have one the Winter Drive is used to give extra traction on slippery winter roads, its sort of usefull for very icy conditions where accelarating even at normal level would cause a loss of control, I used in last winter. Its sort of tricky to use because it shuts off automatically over 7 mph.

The Power Drive is usefull for pulling cargo or when you need extra power. I actually tend to use it when loaded or if I find myself losing ground at a very steep or long hill, I think it may be a gas guzzler by a little when in use.
    As for the pockets yeah mine seem to be streched somewhat but I dont know if they were originally like that, they seem like they need to be sown but if you put some stuff in it they hold well and dont lookso saggy. Hope that helps, for your first wonders in the car. I can't really say what to look for in maintenance because it all depends on your previous owner. I have been lucky so far so I cant say what to look for, besides basic oil changes and brake pad wear the only thing I had to shell out for was the intake manifold cover gasket, that seems to be true for 97 and up but for 2000 I am not sure. Well just take care of the routine maintenace and the car should be a good investment.
  • Options
    cptsessocptsesso Member Posts: 116
    Winter Mode starts the transmission in 2nd gear to reduce slippage.

Power Mode changes the shift points of the transmission so it will remain in a gear longer than normal (higher rpm).
  • Options
    lvmike2005lvmike2005 Member Posts: 1
    hello, i need a little help. i have a 2002 rodeo v6. when i go to pull away from a stop, i hear and feel a vibration that seems to be coming from the transmission. it only happens in first gear. i did notice there was some tranny fluid under the truck, but when i asked a guy from an autostore, he told me that if it were low on tranny fluid it would be doing it in all gears, not just first. he said it sounds like the shift modulator.so like i said when i pull away it just goes a little then, theres a vibration and then a boom like it pops into gear. hopefully you understand what im saying. i just need some advice and what you all think is the problem. what pisses me off is i just got the damn thing a month ago. thanks
  • Options
    lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    Take all opinions with a grain of salt. I would perform a ATF fluid change. Since it is a sealed unit I would take it to the dealer to service or a really competent mechanic.
  • Options
    lazalaza Member Posts: 1
    I am taking over ownership of my sister's Rodeo that has a little under 60,000 miles. She always changed the oil every 3,000 miles and I think she did a transmission flush 6 months ago. Outside of that, that's it. What kind of maintenance should I be doing considering the mileage the truck has? I want to really take care of it so it lasts a long time.

Thanks in advance,
    laza :confuse:
  • Options
    rcusimanorcusimano Member Posts: 4
    Have a '94 passport. When i started the vehicle, a/c did not come on. Until then no problems. Using an electrical tester, have no power to the fan control switch on controls, no power at the blower motor wiring harness. Any suggestions on what it could be? Thanx for any helpful info.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may find this helpful: Maintenance Schedule

tidester, host
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please check your email and read the Rules of the Road link above.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I heard different opinions why brakes squeal when they are new. I just changed the brakes and rotors because they were squealing to find out they were digging into the rotors. Now I have increase stopping power but still have the noise..confused any answers out there?
  • Options
    amysfriendamysfriend Member Posts: 3
    Good idea. Maybe I'll even draw her a little diagram so she can have something to refer to while she attempting to operate her remote. We all know how confusing those darn remotes can be. :confuse:

Going to try to get my hands on some different remotes and give her a lesson there as well. If that doesn't work, I'll probably just have to buy her a bottle of "Chestnut" hair color by L'Oreal. :P
  • Options
    bayouchrisbayouchris Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get it fixed?
  • Options
    masteryoda1masteryoda1 Member Posts: 3
    Good luck. By the way, you might want to let her know that the "Panic" button on the keyless remote is not for when she breaks a nail.
  • Options
    stuballstuball Member Posts: 5
    My driver's side door/light switch does not work.
    Can anyone tell me where to get Rodeo parts?

I've done a google search and I'm not finding what I need.

Thanks

Stu
  • Options
    jbaumanjbauman Member Posts: 2
    I've had a persistent 440 code on my 2002 Rodeo from the day I bought it. The sales guy had to take it to the "back" to get it cleared. It was OK for a month or so, then reappeared. The dealerships have a great scam going on this one. They will check it, and it is anything other than a "loose gas cap" they will investigate and repair. Otherwise, it's $90. So naturally, they always claim that the cap is functioning fine and that you are a moron and don't know how to tighten a gas cap, and take your money.

The other problem I've had is the transmission. If you look at the tranny from the passenger side, you'll see two pans. Above the smaller pan is a round seal held in with a huge circlip. I've had that blow twice now. Is this a common problem?

Thx!

JB
  • Options
    jbaumanjbauman Member Posts: 2
    I've done a little research. There is actually an Isuzu Technical Serivce Bulletin issued for the PO440 code problem - the number is 0202S001. The NHTSA even has this on file as their item number 633944. I'm calling Isuzu to get more info as to why their dealers don't fix the problem and are happier charging people $$$ to tell them they can't screw on a gas cap tight!

As for the tranny problem, I found out that is the accumulator piston cover, and leaking from there is a known problem as well, with a TSB issued for that too.

JB
  • Options
    idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Hello, I'm considering trading my troublesome '99 Explorer in on a '02-'03 Rodeo LS or LSE. From the little research I've done, it looks as though the '02 (the most current info I could find via Consumer Reports) is "above average" in reliability. How are they holding up? What quirks do the have? Any major problems? I read that the 10/120k powertrain warranty is transferable, which really appeals to me since I am having problems with the engine and transmission in my Exploder. Sad because it only has 57k miles on it. Any input is appreciated. I haven't found one to test drive yet, but I drove a new S back in '01 when the new style came out, and I liked it. Thanks!
  • Options
    buffalosoldierbuffalosoldier Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have learned a great deal about rodeos from this site so I am very grateful. Anyway, I have a 97 isuzu rodeo that started knocking really bad. The thing is that it does not knock when the car runs at idle, only at about 2500 rpm. I just want to know is my engine finished or is ther still hope. I dropped the oil pan and cleaned the pick up screen and it was totally clogged. I have drained the oil and put castro 5w-30. I am a big lover of rodeos I also own a 93, just don't know much about engines. Can anyone give me some advice? anything would be helpful.

Thanks
  • Options
    johnner1999johnner1999 Member Posts: 1
    has any one with a 2004 Rodeo had any problems or issues with the new feature from "hell". I have had my 2004 rodeo since last July 2004. After replacing the poor bridgestone tires at about 20k miles. I have had my rodeo in the shop about 10 times for that blasted low tire pressure light on the dashboard. the dealer has been kind but it is becoming a waste of my time...

Have had about all of the sensors replaced and re-calibrated about 10 times

please let me know if you have any issues?
  • Options
    bigred13bigred13 Member Posts: 25
    For what it's worth, We bought a new Rodeo in 2001.....Loved it and had absolutely no problems the first 3 yrs. Going into year 4 and at about 60,000 miles, we were made aware of an issue when we had the oil changed (which we did every 3000 mi faithfully) The issue was that when the mechanic drained the oil, he was concerned at the low amount that came out and told us to keep an eye on it.

So I began keeping track of just how much we were losing. BTW, it was not visibly blowing oil, nor was it leaking. I took it to Isuzu who told us that it was normal to 'go thru' about a quart every 1000 miles. Unfortunately, we were using a bout 1 quart every 500 to 750 miles. Isuzu's response was that it was normal for these engines to use that much oil. My response was that if that were true, then why weren't we using that much from the start.

To make a long story short, Isuzu knows that there are problems with these engines (3.2L V-6) yet will not acknowledge it. We did everything that the Isuzu Dealership asked us. For a 3500 mile stretch, we took the vehicle back to them every 500 miles so that they could track it themselves. After consuming 6 quarts during this period, they still said that it was normal and couldn't do anything about it.

Shortly after that, we went on a 3200 mile trip from Boston to WV to FLA and back in which it consumed 6.5 quarts during this time.

Very disapointed with Isuzu, not because of the problem but because of the lack of assistance in resolving the problem. The dealership tried to talk us in to buying a new Ascender. Ya right, like we're going to buy another Isuzu at this point, besides looking at the deals on these, they can't give them away.

The good news story is that we're done with Isuzu, chose to try American made again (2005 Ford Freestyle) and are very pleased so far with the fuel economy alone, not to mention the 3rd row seating and great pricing.

Because you can no longer purchase new Rodeo's, buyer beware purchasing pre-owned Isuzu's with the 3.2 liter V-6 engine.
  • Options
    flounderedfloundered Member Posts: 1
    Our 2002 4wd 5 sp has about 90K miles on it. lately when starting out there is what sounds like a roaring sound from the engine area. Don't hear it at highway speeds just in the lower gears and with the windows rolled down. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    bugsy1bugsy1 Member Posts: 16
    hi everyone , has anyone use the k&n filters. i recently used the k&n oil and air filter , it is said you should get more hp and gas mileage but its too soon to tell .
    i noticed it takes off more smoothly and faster but for the other factors i havent noticed it as yet , and they are expensive too . air filter $57+tax normally $11+ and the oil filter $11+ normally $3.00
    so if any one has any feed back , i would really appreciate it .
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out K&N Air Filters, bolt-on power? while waiting for responses in here.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    praaschpraasch Member Posts: 1
    My fiance's 98 rodeo started acting up yesterday. She went to start it and it made a bad knocking sound. After we shut the vehicle off, i could smell fuel in the air. Well, we let it sit for the day. Went out, started it this morning, knocking pretty much went away or wasn't as noticeable, but still, could smell fuel in the air. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem or something similar.

She just had to add a quart of oil the other day because it uses quite a bit...she put in i believe some 5W30 she got from the gas station.

Just hoping that someone has some ideas/tips as to what this might be.....

thanks,

Patrick
  • Options
    jsp1jsp1 Member Posts: 1
    Have the same problem with a 96 rodeo. Starts perfect at times but will not intermitently for no reason. I will let it sit for 1/2 to 1hour and it will start fine. Have had it to a mechanic (not Isuzu) and he cant figure it out. It is a 6 cyl manual transmission. Did you have any advice or suggestions. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

John