Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo

Comments

• bucsngoofybucsngoofy Member Posts: 6
    Don't know anything about what a 'regulator' is, but I do know that when I had one of the windows on mine checked, it wouldn't roll down, you had to replace the whole system for all four windows, on my Explorer, each window had it's own 'system', much less expensive than replacing the 'whole' system... hope it helps...

Lorie
  • cakey1953cakey1953 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a used Rodeo with 137,000 miles,but have read terrible reviews about this SUV...gas mileage problems, recalls and all that goes wrong with this vehicle after 99,000 miles. Anyone out there with a GREAT Rodeo story?? The sellers are asking $2,500 for it, and it looks very clean from the outside. I have had a 2000 Ford Ranger that I bought 2 years ago, which has been (and still is) a no-problem dream truck...But it fits about 2 1/2 people, and I need something with room for at least 4, plus space for my paint tools. Anyone who can recommend a better used vehicle than this Izuzu Rodeo, please let me know!!
    cakey1953@yahoo.com Orlando, FL
  • oreocreamingoreocreaming Member Posts: 2
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370186282353
    with a 2" block in the rear, or just crank your torsion bars down with a 2" block. or crank the torsion bars down, get the drop spindles i included the link to and a 4" tapered lowering block. in any of these options you will have to cut the bump stops front and rear. the front will touch if you crank the torsions bars down leaving you no suspension travel, and the rear is only a few inches away from the stop and every hard bump will bottom out.
  • cf14cf14 Member Posts: 3
    (2000 Rodeo, V6). The low fuel warning light started flashing constantly, even with a full tank and the check engine light came on so we replaced the fuel sending unit and the car was dead. Wouldn't even attempt to start. Unplugged battery and re-connected and tried again, no luck.
    A guy came out and read the codes and nothing showed up and I thought that the same instrument he used to check to codes could reset the computer and my husband, who WAS there said he didn't ask.
    So, am I wrong or are we going to have to haul the bloody thing to an Isuzu dealer some 200 miles away?

Thanks for any input:)
  • angelwings5383angelwings5383 Member Posts: 2
    This is the same thing we are going through now. Did you ever figure out what it was? If so, PLEASE let us know. Thanks!
    Well, o'Reilly Auto parts told us to disconnect the battery to reset the computer, after we'd cleared the codes, which we did and it spluttered but still didn't start, then we had a listen to fuel pump and it seems to be inoperative, so, we're replacing that part this weekend and we'll let you know if it fixes it.
    I'm sorry, Angelwings, I thought you were answering my post.
  • alabamadialabamadi Member Posts: 2
    The AC on my 2002 Rodeo works fine once moving but noisy when compressor comes on. When stopped or in slow traffic it is not cool. the freon was checked and is fine.

a mechanic determined the fan in the front of the car was not coming on but the switch worked fine. He could do something with a jump wire in the fuse box under the hood and the fan would come on. He checked all the fuses and they were ok.

Would this be the compressor. When I had it to a dealer for another problem the mechanic there told me in abt 2 minutes it was the compressor because of the noise and it would be $2100.
    thanks
  • heartcarheartcar Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Rodeo that will not start. I have done all the basics.
    Empty-ed cleaned and installed all new gas,cleaned injectors, Plugs, check timing on belt, Replaced ECU. Ran Scanner and no codes stored. Engine turns over with spark and plugs are getting wet like I'm getting fuel but nothing. I'm wondering what does the alarm do if it's activated and would it let it crank over but not start? the alarm light just blinks all the time as long as the key is in the ignition. Is that normal or is that the problem?
    P.S. anyone want a rodeo cheep... LOL!!!!
  • flosamuelsflosamuels Member Posts: 1
    To avoid a $200+ repair, has anyone had experience with the dashboard bulbs (not the warning lights) and radio antenna going out at the same time? I replaced the dashboard fuse three times and it blew within an hour each time of turning on the headlights. This also silenced the warning rings when headlights are left on. The fact that the radio went on the fritz (sound but no antenna) the same time makes me think there is a short somewhere between the two components. If I can pinpoint the short, I can get a much cheaper repair.

Flo S
  • mikadencomikadenco Member Posts: 2
    SUV has been virtually problem free for 125K miles (7 years). It has had all regular maintenance performed, esp. timing belt replacement, recent tune up, etc.
    After a lot of water was dumped on hood of car, (don't ask, but engine was cold), the engine would crank but not start. (key would stay in crank mode unless turned back). I believe that this is normal, key should go back after ignition. Not?
    Fuel Pump is ok. Local mechanic is looking at computer run ignition system but after two days still has no idea what is wrong.
    Any ideas? Remember this Rodeo has been better than great until now.
  • rickiesuerickiesue Member Posts: 4
    Did ya get the problem fixed? We are having same problem(read my post) it seems to be the alarm, because it ran fine the 1st week we had it, then one nite, someone tried to break in it & set the alarm off- it didn't come with a remote key lock, but I turned the alarm off when I unlocked the truck with the key. But the next morning when I got in it to leave, it kept dying. So we put battery cables on it to jump it, it drove about 1/2 block then died. Now, it won't crank at all! Been to about 5 different shops, dealership included. No one seems to know how to shut the alarm off, bypass it or whatever need to be done to fix it. I am so upset & running out of money! So if ya have any ideas, please let me know! I hate for it to be a total loss because I don't have the money to buy anything else, now that I've put all this money into this truck. It's a 2001 isuzu rodeo 2wd-thank you for any help
  • dontkeandontkean Member Posts: 2
    I keep reading about these problems with the Passport...I had a Jetta that had similar problems and it was a fuel mix sensor that was bad. Good luck.
  • brendtbrendt Member Posts: 3
    came across your problem. I have the same situation too with a 2002 rodeo I just purchased, however the radio I just installed professionally works. My dashboard lights and rear tail lights are out. Breaklights and headlights still ok.
    In my case it was not the bulbs. And its baffled the technicians so far, as they check for shorts in all the wires and lights.
    In my case I think the previous owner was doing some off-roading with it which is what the rodeo was designed to do, however it can really jar-up the electronics on the inside.
  • misrpiggymisrpiggy Member Posts: 2
    I just bought this Honda with 81,000 miles on it and after driving it for a bit I've noticed a popping coming from the rear (what seems to be). when I'm rolling forward at a light I notice it more than coming to a stop but it happens wither or not my front wheels are turned which leads me to forget the bearings, CV joints, or front axle. Sometimes it will even cause the cab to bounce a little bit. I took it in to my mechanic and he checked out the front end and the bearings needed to be greased but were not terrible. He checked the rear fluid and seems to be fine, but other than that nothing out of the ordinary. I didn't have the time to have him drive it around to see if he could feel it so I thought I would try to find out if anyone had an idea of what it could be. thanks guys..
    brendt: you said you had the same problem w/ your 2002 Rodeo? Do you mean you couldn't bypass or turn the alarm system off? And that yours wouldn't crank? If so, how did ya fix it? Ours not cranking started w/ the alarm being set off. Now the truck won't start at all- when trying to crank it it shuts everything down as if someone is trying to steal it. And no one-professionals, dealerships, etc, know how to fix it! I can't believe this! Don't know what else to do!
  • balakabakbalakabak Member Posts: 2
    rickiesue: your truck is not cranking after the alarm was set off! try pushing a button under the fuse box ( to your left under your fuse box there's a small button that you have to push when you crank your truck) it happened to me and nobody know when I call the dealer so just tried this and it worked.
  • balakabakbalakabak Member Posts: 2
    Were you able to fix your problem? just concern coz it happened to me too and the dealership dint help me at all so I just keep researching and there is this 1 button where (under the fuse box below the steering wheel ) that you have to push when you start the car. I think thats the switch to stop the alarm.
    No, it's been sitting at another mechanics house for about a month now! They have tried everything. From what I remember, there's no button like you're describing, only a little light under there that lights up to show that the alarm was activated or working or whatever but nothing to push! I can not believe that no one can figure out how to fix it! I talked to the service manager at the dealershikp- he guaranteed me he could fix it, but that we need to put a new fuel pump (they said about $700) in it-when all this started not a thing was wrong with fuel pump, so why now?! I just feel they are trying to get us to spend all this money! I don't know what else to do! We actually bought a little Kia Sportage 2 weeks ago-got a good deal on it, but I hate we have spent all this
    money on the rodeo! I hate to take a loss we really can't afford on it!
  • khanh1khanh1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, my 2000 Rodeo reach 93k and I am preparing for the 90k service. I am planing to have my independent mechanic doing the timing belt. What else should I replace while he is changing the timing belt? The 30k and 60k service were done by dealer. Now they are all gone. Thanks in advance.
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Add the water pump to the list. Try not to pay more than $400 for timing belt and the pump.
  • shaunidashaunida Member Posts: 1
    How do I find out what the trim level is on my 1992 Isuzu Rodeo? I do not see it any where. Please send answers or ideas to shaunida@mchsi.com

Thank you.
  • marinakymarinaky Member Posts: 64
    To all the people posting on this site, have any of you been reading or are any of you aware of the issues with the Rodeo and Passport vehicles? The rear driver's side torque bar rusts off and causes accidents or near accidents. There is currently a federal investigation in the process with the hopeful outcome being a recall. This covers vehicles from 1995 to 2002. Go to Edmunds.com forum and go to Isuzu Rodeo then Rodeo Frame Rust, and read the issues so many of us are having. You all need to be aware of this. The frames are rusting like swiss cheese. This is a safey issue and Honda and Isuzu refuse to acknowledge any responsibility. Because of the number of complaints, a federal investigation is in the process. Derek Rinehardt is heading the investigation, all that info is available on Edmunds forum. If you drive your family, please make sure your vehicle is safe and free of rust. If it has the same problem as hundreds of us, contact Mr. Rinehardt, file a complaint with NHTSA and with Honda and Isuzu. Let them know this is serious. Honda and Isuzu just hopes we will go away. I have been working on this for a year in January, since my near accident which occurred when the torque arm rusted off while driving my 1998 Honda Passport. This occurred without any warning, as it has occurred to many other drivers. Suddenly it feels like you are driving on ice and then BAM the torque arm falls off and there you are. I realize this is not an issue previously covered in this forum, but anyone who drives these vehicles needs to be aware.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's the link: Rodeo Frame Rust

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • goslingonegoslingone Member Posts: 2
    WE HAVE A 1991 HONDA PASSPORT WITH A 3.2 V6 MOTOR DOHC, ONE OF THE CAM PULLYS DID A GRENADE ACT, WHAT WE NEED TO KNOW IS THIS AN INTERFEARENCE MOTOR OR NOT. PLEASE HELP THANK YOU. GOSLING ONE.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Isuzu made interference engines for the Rodeo up until model year '96 so that should include your '91 Passport.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • patsyldpatsyld Member Posts: 3
    I am new to this forum...I have a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo. I have had problems with the check engine light staying on, I live in a state where DEQ testing has to be completed in order to license my car, and if the light is flashing no licensing. I had it hooked up to a reader and it said the # one cylinder needed to be replaced, so I had it replaced along with all of the spark plugs. The light was then reset, It immediately came back on, I had the car tested again and it said that the #1 cylinder was misfiring. I had a mechanic friend of mine looked at it and said that there wasnt a spark going to the #1. any ideas what might be going on, I cant afford much and I need to get my car licensed. I need HELP PLEASE
  • rtittortitto Member Posts: 3
    last week when i was driving Isuzu Rodeo 1999 with 133K miles on it - on the way to work on highway suddenly it started making rattling noise and i slow down the SUV and took exit and it stopped and not able to start, i ended up towing the car to mechanic and he said - Engine has issues with pistons - out of 6 pistons one piston broke and it is making noise. Mechanic suggest to replace the engine, quotation i got from mechanic is total of $4000 to replace with 100k Miles used engine. I am not sure it is worth spending to replace the engine with $4K?
    As per mechanic - it is known problems with Isuzu engines as it is design flaw that is what he is telling. Is it worth contacting Isuzu for explanation?
    I also reached out to Isuzu dealer for price quotation for new engine - it costs around $9000.

Any one ran in to this kind of scenario? Any suggestion to keep replace with 100k engine by spending $4k, is it worth spending?

Appreciate!!!
    ~Raj :(
  • edhinfledhinfl Member Posts: 9
    I have a 1998 - engine replaced at 75,000 miles - I would NEVER AGAIN spend that much money on an Isuzu. Parts will get harder to find since they are pulling out of the US.
  • dougw2dougw2 Member Posts: 4
    Check the frame condition around the trailing arm connection, this is the arm that connects the rear drive axle to the frame, Mine was also making a popping noise when stopping, couldn't find out where it was coming from till my frame rusted at the mount and the trailing arm fell off. after fixed I never did hear the popping noise again. 1 year later my coil spring and upper shock mount rusted off at the frame?? If your frame is rusted , Check forums for Rodeo frame rust, file complaint if you still have the vehicle.
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    It's sad another Isuzu bit the dust but don't spend $4K on this truck, especially since it involves a terribly old engine to begin with... It will not last and your tranny will be next. It's time to move on. You'll get at least ten trouble-free, safer, and more economical years out of any new car out there right now.
  • ryanbill31ryanbill31 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 1999 Honda Passport 4x4. I have owned it for less than one week and the rear trailing arm connector just broke off. It did not fall off the frame, but the frame rusted thru with the arm still attached. There is evidence of someone trying to fix it previously and covering it up with rubber undercoating. People on here are speaking of following the links to other forums where it has links to file a complaint and be part of a current class action lawsuit, but I see nothing anywhere pertaining to where to go.
  • marinakymarinaky Member Posts: 64
    Go to Isuzu Rodeo frame rust in edmunds, it is another forum, dedicated basically just to the problem you are talking about. All the info and instructions are there. Can you go back to the seller and get your money back? That is what I would do. They did not disclose to you the damage, and the faulty repair, probably can get your money back, small claims court if you have to, but after owning it a week, I would definitely be pursuing a full refund.
  • lil_nicklil_nick Member Posts: 1
    2004 rodeo. have charged system with uv leak detection kit, and found no leak anywhere. the compressor will kick on for like 2 to 3 seconds and kick off for like a minute. anyone have any clue where to start so i dont spend hundreds for no reason. thanks.
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    edited June 2010
    Does the 2.2L I4 have a timing belt? Does it need to be changed? & at what interval?
    How is this SUV overall. I understand it's lacking in power, I'm just looking for a 2nd car to use. How's the 5 speed trans? Does it break easy? How are the costs to replace the clutch or do a timing belt if needed?
    $4K with 92K is the deal I'm looking at.
    Thanks
  • halosighthalosight Member Posts: 1
    new 1995 passport owner !!!!!

Hi i am going to be getting a 1995 passport and was wondering what is the tire
    size , i am looking to go off roading and want to get some good tires also where
    can i find a lift kit or spacers to lift ita little and im also looking for a cold air
    intake , and i cant find a grille guard for it either !!! Any help would be great !!!!!

thanks ,Robert, portland oregon
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    The key binds and is hard to turn in my 01 Rodeo. About 6 months ago my mechanic replaced the neutral safety switch. Could this be related? I tried lock lubricate but it did not help.

Any ideas?
  • billman2002billman2002 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am hoping you have found a solution to this problem? I have the exact same one, what was the outcome? No one has posted an outcome online and I can't beleive this, they talk about a problem, but no outcome.
  • patsyldpatsyld Member Posts: 3
    Our transmission finally went all except the reverse. We had the thing totally rebuilt a year and a half previously.... Have a new car now...Good Luck.
  • edhinfledhinfl Member Posts: 9
    I had several problems with a '98 not shifting. Each time it was an electrical problem, such as a short in the trailer hitch wire. Take it to an electrical shop instead of a transmission shop.
  • heathermurpheyheathermurphey Member Posts: 1
    Ok, I have replaced the thermostat, the fan is working fine, the hoses look good and not squishy or brittle, I cant find a leak, BUT i take it less than 30 miles and Im blowing steam from my overflow tank, this problem started just recently. (U know like since the weather got HOT) I have not run the a/c as this seems to make it overheat quicker, though turning the heat on doesnt help it cool down.
    I love my truck and have put several hundred dollars in it. I have actually learned how to change a clutch and several other parts on my own, I really am lost on this though. Any advice would be helpful.
    I just read a post about flushing the radiatior, but Im going thru so much water, how can there be any bad water left in it? And I read that it may be a blown head gasket, but the only problem Im having with it is the overheating... SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE
    I originally posted my problem with our 01 Rodeo about a year ago. Since then we still haven't found anyone who knows how to fix it so it's been sitting in our yard all this time! I recently totalled my car and now have no transportation so I'd really like
    to get it fixed. Again this is what happened. One nite someone tried to steal gas out of it & set the alarm off. When we got it, it didn't come with a key remote, so I just turned the alarm off by unlocking the door. Next morn. went to get in it, it started, drove 1 block then died. It kept starting, going a little ways then dying. Thinking that all the gas had been stolen, we put gas in it. Kept trying to start then eventually wouldn't start at all. It hasn't started since. We took it to the dealership. They told us that we needed to buy a $700 fuel pump then they MIGHT be able to fix it! Took it to about 3 different mechanics after that and no one knows how to bypass the alarm or whatever needs to be done to fix it! We eventually ran short on money and just gave up. I've read online about this problem is common w/Rodeos but haven't been able to find anyone who knows what's wrong or how to fix it. HELP!!! Thank you, Sue
  • cheapengineercheapengineer Member Posts: 36
    I'm not a mechanic but you should buy a keyless remote and program it . It will cost you $30-40 (maybe less) and it will allow you to determine if it is the alarm system s causing your problem. Go on eBay a find a keyless remote for your 2001 Rodeo. The code for my 2002 is FCC ID: HYQ1512R. Is you go to one of the larger keyless remote vendors they can tell you if this is the same code for your 2001. Buy one that comes with programming instructions and program it. This is easy to do if you are reasonably handy. Test it out and see if your rodeo stops dying out. The worst that can happen is that you've bought a remote that works for your car. Good luck.
  • travis2503travis2503 Member Posts: 1
    i got a 1997 isuzu rodeo 4x4. When i put it in drive it want move unless i press the winter button and every time i reduce speed or stop i have to press the button again to go but reverse works fine with out the winter button pressed could some one help :mad:
  • rodeoguyrodeoguy Member Posts: 3
    How do you know the fan is working fine? I thought my fan was working fine too but I replaced the fan clutch anyway and oh baby that thing moves some air now, especially just after start-up! My overheating problem went away!
  • softsayoceansoftsayocean Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2010
    I have a 94 Rodeo V6 and I got it pretty messed up, so I'm slowly trying to rebuild it. Every time I accelerate hard, my engine bogs down and it blows black smoke. And also the check engine light comes on but turns off by the time I get close to somewhere to check it. I know it has something to do with my air intake but I'm not sure if it is a sensor or a valve. I don't know this engine very well. Please help!

Oh and when I go under 20 MPH something in my hubs or wheels rattle but I can't anything
  • lilredrodeolilredrodeo Member Posts: 6
    I have a 1998 rodeo that I had to have part of the frame replaced for inspection which cost me $1400. now 3 months later I have another major problem. Just checked recalls and finally Isuzu is in the process of recalling my vehicle. So those of you who have the same problem, check out Isuzu recalls and call them to register your vehicle.
    They hope to have the problem solved by the end of the year. Can't drive my rodeo until its fixed but I'm not paying anymore money. Maybe I'll see if they will spring for a rental car. ha ha
  • drockstardrockstar Member Posts: 1
    Hello all!

I would like to tow my 02 Rodeo 4X4 Auto Trans behind my RV with a towbar. I am planning on fitting the towbar to the 2 chain loops on the front of the Rodeo. Has anybody done this? Can it be straight towed with out disconnecting the driveshaft and does anyone know of a wiring kit to be used?

Thank you for any input!
  • luckyrocoluckyroco Member Posts: 1
    All my 93 Isuzu rodeo would do is squeal when giving it gas. NO POWER. Everyone thought my trans was gone. We added some Lucas trans treatment and 2 days later like magic problem gone. Not really. light in dash stays on so I started thinking I had an electric problem. Then truck stops. Dead battery. Hmmmm. when I jumped the truck it ran very rough and wouldn't stay on without cables connected. when I finally had had enough juice I started moving. When I turned on head lights the transmission light came on and I lost power again. Turned lights off and trans light went off and I regained power. how do I fix it
  • jamier1jamier1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 4wd and it has issues w the tranny, it will only go in low gear, I originally thought i needed a new tranny but as i read more on the problem I am wondering if it is associated with the electrical system. There is for sure problems with the wiring, the alarm erratically goes off, the wipers & headlights go out sometimes we definitely have electrical problems and i am wondering if my husband has done something in the process of trying to fix our other crazy problems to cause the transmission to act up. We are not financially able to buy a bunch of parts that wont fix the problem and I do not trust a shop, i feel as if they will tell me I need a tranny even if I dont! Please help and/or lead me to sites to help with DIY fixes...Thanks!!!