Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo

Comments

• dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    It is rather difficult to maintain low speeds in a 2X4. No low range and no front wheels to pull you through the rough stuff so speed must be kept high in order to maintain momentum. I'm still not sure as to how your rear control arm was damaged, but it sounds like instead of putting the tire over the rock you tried to put the suspension into it. If you plan on going off-road, I'll suggest knowing where your tires are and putting them on the high spots. I'll also suggest a 4X4 with a low range for more control and less crazy driving.
  • amigo_johnamigo_john Member Posts: 107
    Got a set of fronts (32336 Monroe) and they fit my Amigo just fine. It took 15 min to change both out, verrry easy =)

Monroe said they hadn't actually tested them on a Amigo so they couldn't recommend them. I kept the original rubber bushings as the Monroe ones were wimpy in comparison. OEM shocks were toast after 30k. Isuzu dealer here swears that the Amigo and Rodeo have totally different part #s for OEM shocks. The fit and ride is great so time to order back ones from a-1 and see if they'll work too.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Well, from experience...if you play hard, trucks can break. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, if you were having fun and you can afford it, stuff happens.

I agree with paisan, the boulder bars are a good idea. If you are interested in a new truck and like isuzu's, you could probably get great deals on new troopers, at least until they are all gone.
  • rodeo123rodeo123 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 98 rodeo and it rides really rough. I replaced the shocks with gabriel gas ryders and put on a set of Michelin Cross Terrains and it didn't seem to help. Is there anything else I can do to soften the ride a bit or is this how the rodeo rides?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    If you have too much tire pressure you'll have a stiff ride. Also try Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. Set to "1" they should be limo soft.

-mike
    Agreed. 5 psi over can give a harsh ride, 5 psi under can be really soft. Just gotta remember that whole Ford/Firestone incident and not run them toooooooooo low or toooooooooooo high. Rodeo123 also, what size tires did you put on? 245/65/16's or what???
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    How many Ply Sidewall do the Michelin Cross Terrains have. I put a set of 265/75/16 BF Goodrich All-Terrains on my Trooper which have a 3 ply sidewall (called Tri-Guard) and my ride went to crap. They are extremely stiff so now I feel every bump in the road. But the trade off is worth it because they are fantastic offroad compared to the stock Bridgestones!
  • karman1karman1 Member Posts: 25
    Hi to all,I got my car back from the shop after my fun experience off-roading (see msg 549).
    They fixed everything and they told me that I bent my tail pipe not the control arm, any ways from some reason now my rodeo doesn't stop at all. I almost had 2 wrecks on they way home. My brakes do not make any noise so I'm thinking that there is air in the system, should I get the air out or should replace the pads and rotors? , and does anybody know off any good rotors for rodeos.
    The best ones for Isuzus is OEM dealer Pads and Rotors. That is what I'd replace em with. But most likely you just need to bleed the brakes is all.

-mike
  • drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    A lot of people are very happy with the Monroe matic plus having soft ride comfort. Others were also happy that they can maintain speed on bumpy road w/o losing composure. I got mine for about 80 bucks and that was after I replaced my Bilstein because they were too stiff for my taste. Aside from that, the suspension has limited travel. I raised mine fore and aft by 1 inch. Cranked the front torsions and used a home-made spring spacer at the rear.
  • jenningsmjenningsm Member Posts: 8
    Last month, I took the plunge and joined you guys (and ladies) by buying a '01 Rodeo S (almost an LS, actually considering how it was optioned out.. only thing that I can honesstly say I miss is power mirrors, but I drive it 95% of the time anyway). Paid 500 under invoice and qual'ed for the 0% for 5 year financing, so I feel that I got a fair deal for a leftover.
    I had rented one back in October, ended up having it for 3 weeks since my trip was extended at that time. Never really thought seriously about an SUV prior to that time.
    The 3.2 seems to be a great motor and the ride is quite good. I have about 1100 miles on it so far, and fuel econ is about 18/22.
    Looking forward to good long service
    Mike Jennings
    Welcome to the crew. Check out http://isuzu-suvs.com for lots of info.

-mike

• rodeo123rodeo123 Member Posts: 2
    I put on 245/70/R16.
  • karman1karman1 Member Posts: 25
    I just had my brakes bleeded, they got a little better but not much. The shop told that my master cylinder is leaking and that is why my brake pedal is soft. Now, he said that the leak is inside the cylinder, and that I would need to replace it. Now, my Rodeo is 98 and only 62k I would not think that it would brake that soon. Would do you guys think.
    but sometimes things fail.
  • jack1dubjack1dub Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2001 rodeo ls. The Toyota dealer that sold it to me decided they needed a couple of items more than me. I am trying to find information on the keyless entry system which my vehicle is equiped with, however I dont have any transmitters for it. (dealer says he didnt get them) Isuzu is realy proud of them. Is there anyone out there can help me, I need the FCC code off the back of another factory transmitter and the number of buttons and layout. With this information I can purchase aftermarket transmitters. Thank you.
    P.S. The dealer also liked the in dash 6 disc cd changer more than me! What is the world coming to.
    Remote is 3 button (Open/Lock/Panic)

FCC ID:HYQ1512R

For the radio and remote try:
    http://www.asap-auto-parts.com
    http://www.cunningham-brothers.com
    http://www.car-part.com
    http://www.allhyundaiisuzuparts.com
    ebay may also have both items but the junkyard route seems to be much cheaper, at least for the CD changer.
  • jthiewesjthiewes Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of any good reliable Isuzu dealers in the Phoenix area to take my Rodeo for factory service or warranty work? I'll be moving there soon. Thanks.
  • ohioguyohioguy Member Posts: 2
    Had a minor fender bender this morning. Cracked the front bumper on a 99 LSE 4WD. Anyone else tried a diy project replacing it? Just wondering if it's easy, difficult, etc.
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    I got the same FCC code ('01 Rodeo LS)
    The layout of the buttons is different on mine - don't know if that matters or not: I got lock then open and then panic.
  • ryanendresryanendres Member Posts: 122
    The bumper is easy to get on and off. Takes about 15 mins. Make sure you didn't bend any brackets and the such. If your looking for a new bumper try the guys at www.stcharlesauto.com and used try www.car-parts.com

-Ryan
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    When I replaced my Trooper's bumper, I needed to use a pipe on the end of my 3/8" ratchet to intitially break the bolts lose. I went and got breaker bar and larger sockets to complete the job. You may want to invest the $15 at sears if it seems like you can't get the bolts lose.
  • bama_lukebama_luke Member Posts: 27
    I installed a 12 disc cd changer last year and it's working great. I got the system (12 disk changer and dash unit with cassette) off Ebay for $180. Granted, the CD changer is a refurb, but that doesn't bother me. I couldn't find another deal to touch this anywhere.

Luke
  • bama_lukebama_luke Member Posts: 27
    This message is primarily for you other procrastinators out there. If your gas mileage seems to have fallen off, check your air filter. I replaced mine last week before heading out of town for the weekend. The change in both mileage and power (maybe this part was just in my head) was dramatic. Granted, this was mostly highway mileage, but I added nearly 100 miles to a tank of gas. Now, back in the swing in town, I'm guessing the improvement on comparable driving miles is 50-60 miles per tank.

I also try to add a bottle of Techron (or similar fuel system cleaner) to my tank after getting an oil change. The combination of the air filter (Fram) and the fuel system cleaner has made a noticeable difference.

So, if you're like me and don't think about checking your air filter very often, you probably need to go ahead and check it and replace it.

Luke
  • kramkram Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new rodeo in 98 and had these repairs just after the warranty went out.
    1, Main bearing in transmission went out... $1500
    2. Clutch $800
    Priot to these repairs, I had a tire rotate that cost $298 because 4 lugnuts broke of the studs during a routine tire rotate. The tires needed replaced some 10,000 miles later, and Sam's Club and a Texaco Station said they would be glad to
    sell me tires but would not install them becarse isuzu products have "soft" studs and they would not be responsible
    for the repair. I then took the Rodeo to the dealership in Upper Marlboro where I purchased the Vehicle and they
    wanted $140 to install new tires and denied and problems with the studs. The problem is when a stud breaks of the
    rotors have to be removed to replace them. When I contacted isuzu head quarters they denied the problem. Four mounths ago the transfer case went out ($1500) and I traded it in on a Honda. The tradin was low because ot it's poor
    reputation. Honda's last year fof the Passport is 2002 because of all the problems and bad press.
    Had no more problems, and in fact far less than the Escape, also a new vehicle. So the moral of the story? Don't buy the first year a vehicle is out. Plain and simple. Honda isn't dropping the passport because of poor quality (check CR, even they rate Isuzu just as high as Honda and Yoda for reliability) they are dropping it cause they are building the CAR based Pilot which fits the demographic of a Honda buyer better than a TRUCK based frame vehicle.

-mike
  • drmperaltadrmperalta Member Posts: 58
    Well, no matter what people say that you don't have to warm up your car before driving off, I do now. Big big difference. I noticed less oil consumption, better mileage, and better power, smoother running engine, less noise, better ride too (can't explain it).

Before, I used to drive off even if the temp gauge says it's not warm yet and the engine felt clumsy even after the engine warmed up later down the road.

Next to buy, aftermarket remote starter. I gues Clifford is a good brand.
    I can't get my temp guage to lift off of the "c" until I actually drive it. But I let it warm up for about 1 minute and then drive under 4K rpms until the needle rises off C

-mike
    Of course it never hurts to have synthetic flowing through your engine on those cold mornings! I'm in Alabama and hate starting my car in the sorta-cold weather we have here. I can't imagine what damage is caused by starting and driving right away w/no warmup in places where it really gets cold!
    Paisan, I used to do what you mentioned but I noticed big improvement when warming to operating temp before moving off. I guess this particular engine ('99 Passport) does not run at optimum performance unless properly warmed. I read somewhere that various engine parts are made of different types of metal with there own different degrees of thermal expansions. Unless the engine is at operating temperature some of the parts may not have lined up properly that may lead to cracks (on rare instances). The pistons may not have expanded properly causing insufficient compression and high oil consumption.

Just my 2 cents.
    The 3.2 and the 3.5 are the same engines essentially the 3.5 is bored and stroked IIRC. I just can't get mine to warm up off the "C" until it moves, maybe it is my synthetic oil that causes it to not warm up quickly.

-mike
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Seems to be common knowledge around tire shops and alignment shops but dealers deny there is a problem with the studs breaking off.

I have had to replace a few on my 97 as well!!!
    The problem is that most shops use an impact wrench w/o the proper torque stick. They should only be tightened to 75psi most places push them to well over 100psi. My buddy who has a montero has the same problem with his. He has had shops replace all the studs numerous times.

-mike
    it's just a sign that you've had a tire rotation/change at a bad shop that uses an impact wrench well past spec. Shops that are intelligent and know vehicles don't over tighten lugs and you will never have a problem. This is not just a problem with Isuzu's, but all makes and models. Stupid shops just overtighten because it's safer. They will stay on just fine, but when you try and take them off...no no no. So by the time you know there's a problem, it's way tooooo late.
    Anybody tried K&N HighFlow airfilter on Rodeo?
    I was reading through Protege discussion board and seems like a lot of people tried it and were happy. I have also talked to the local auto store and they also recommended it. I was just wondering if it's really that good. It also looks like it needs to be "worked on" after about 50K mi - gotta be soaked in special K&N oil...
    from what I've heard doesn't do squat unless you have modified your intake and exhaust a good amount. Stock cars won't see any improvements except for more engine noise (racer boy sound :). That sound can trick people a lot of the times into thinking they have more power. Be very wary of peoples seat of the pants claims unless they added a turbo or a supercharger or some nitrous, you won't notice anything unless you're trying to notice it :)
    dielectric7bb,
    thanks for your input. I am not really expecting any HP increase. I was kinda hoping for gas/mileage increase though. Plus Fram filter would cost me about $25 and needs to be changed every 10-12K mi it K&N is going to pay for itself after 25K miles or so. I was also thinking it might be better for the engine because it'll let more air in.
    The lady in auto store told me that she uses it and she got about 10 extra h.p. - doesn't seem too realistic for me :-)
    if there was more air going into the engine at any rpm, the computer would have to put in more fuel to compensate for the extra air. So fuel economy (and or H.P.) generally won't increase except for more modifications and or driving differently.

I guess it depends on how much the start up cost of a K&N is, and then the maintenance one needs to do to it. I've heard some people say that they got tore up or the like by grit and had to now by another filter. If you want more info on K&N input here on Edmunds, I'd go over to the aftermarket and accessories board. I believe there's already a decent discussion about the product.
    I have one on my trooper. It pulls slightly (very little) better in the 4000+rpm range. I've had it in for 30K miles and it hasn't gotten destroyed, despite a few muddy water crossings. I figure it's re-usable so that alone makes it worth the $50 it costs.

-mike
    A K&N filter should not improve gas mileage. At best you may see no change in mileage, but most likely you will have a decrease in mileage if you use one. As far as noise goes, there should not be a change. The racerboy sound referred to above comes from modified exhaust systems not air intake. Think of it as your body......if you can breath better does it make your farts louder??? :o) Ha Ha
    yes modifying the air-intake system does modify engine noise. I've tried it with no other mods and there is definitly a different sound. On some vehicles it may be nothing, and others it may be very noticeable. It does depend what you are changine and the vehicle. I thought it was strange too (breath=fart louder), but it happens :) My '95 trooper has these baffles on the intake. Those baffles reduce noise. It's really wierd, and even more strange to see, but they do reduce engine noise. I've heard of people putting on k&n or the like and their engine 'sounds better' (giving the thought of improved performance).
    No change on mine. The only time a K&N filter would make it louder is if you replaced the stock air-box or took out some of the snorkus that are in there. I was talking about a K&N panel drop-in filter, not a cone filter.

-mike
  • nimoman18nimoman18 Member Posts: 3
    I put a filter on my 99 Rodeo and there was definitely a difference in power, mind you my car didnt become a dragster but i did notice a difference. After I had it on a few months I started to notice a few problems with my car just randomly shutting off so i removed the filter and put the stock one back on. Im not sure if the filter was causing the problems but i removed it anyway. My gas mileage stayed about the same. Can anyone suggest brands for new brakes and shocks for the rodeo??? also I was interested in putting a navigation system if anyone had opinions on those thanks.
    I have a '99 Passport and been thru Bilstein and Monroe matic plus shocks.

OEM shocks was nice until you hit the bumps. First hit was sharp and then subsequent continuous hits left the SUV floating. Very disaapointing and nerve wrecking when it floats.

Bilstein had firm ride but can sustain big bumps. It was too stiff for my wife's taste. It made the SUV tossable on the corners and feels very flat even on extreme turns. I found it tiring on long drives.

Replaced it with Monroe matic plus shocks which gave a much better ride confort. I can speed on the bumps that I used to slow down with the OEM or Bilstein. Other Rodeo owners tried it and liked it very much.

Now I am interested of putting on Tokico's latest Trekmaster shocks. I made some inquities already from people who used it. You might be interested on there response. Post #1671 & #1672 at "Land Rover Discovery/Discovery II" Feb 23, 2002 8:40pm
    You shouldn't need brakes yet, unless you are near 50K+ miles. I'd go with OEM ones personally, they will be more $ but they'll last much longer than auto-part-store ones.

For shocks, my personal favorite are the Rancho 9000s which are adjustable. You can make em firm like the bilstiens, or soft like the monroes. Best of both worlds. I'd like bilstiens in general, but they are usually pricier than others.

-mike
  • nimoman18nimoman18 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for info guys... I am at 52,000 mi. plus the brakes on my car have been terrible from the get go I just never changed them. I actually just had a problem with my ABS system. The module that sends the pulse which pumps the brakes was making a buzzing noise after the car was shut off so I disconected the adapter. I have to take it to the dealer. There was actually a recall on the abs with the 98 models has anyone with 99 and up had problems with the abs? Also Drmperalta has your passports suspension started to squeak yet, and also does your steering wheel get loose at 70 mph plus?? the squeaking and rattling from the exterior and interior has plagued me for the last 30,000 miles and no one can figure out where the noises are coming from. Well thanks again for info.
    Haven't noticed suspension squeek on my '99 Passport but noticed that road impact on bumps is louder than Pathfinder (even when it's new).

ABS. Had it serviced under warranty (Passport and Rodeo has different TSB# and title), replacing rear ABS harness that broke/severed by fatigue.

Steering. First you should have a proper wheel alignment and wheel balance. If vibration still comes up, we may have similar problem. Noticed vibration on mine around 70 mph (my favorite speed). Switched the tires around and localized vibration to one tire and off to the spare it went. Worn out shocks also contribute because excess wheel movement can be felt at the steering.

I noticed numerous small rattles when it hits hard on the bumps but with the Monroes softer ride the rattles were not that apparent and haven't noticed CD skips lately.

Hope that helps.
    The reason is that the passport is a body on frame v. pathfinder which is uni-body (at least int he past 7 or so years.) so you are more likely to have road bumps impacting the ride than on a uni-body.

-mike
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Based upon my oil analysis on various cars these foam filters "DO NOT DO A BETTER JOB" of filtering out silicon (dirt) then the paper OEM filters. Further, it is a pain to clean and reoil them periodically and they tend to fall apart after a few years from heat and cleaning., Save you money, they are not worth it!!!!!!! They may give a few HP etc (probably imagined) but at the risk of more dirt they are not worth it.
    Hmm, my K&N is not a foam filter. They aren't that much more $ than the paper filters and help save the environment, not to mention they have a million mile warranty so you can always get them replaced for free.

-mike