Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Isuzu Rodeo

Comments

• Options
    dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    'WHAT IS NOT WARRANTED:
    Any Filtercharger® air filter used for any type of racing or competition, any off-road use, custom or modified applications, any non-legal highway use, marine, aircraft or industrial applications. (These units are covered by a one year unlimited mileage warranty.) '

so basically if you drive off-road in your SUV, you don't have a warranty. I hate companies that do this stuff.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Unless you tell them you drove it off-road, how would they know? If you are dumb enough to tell them "Oh yeah I dunked my car in a pool of water, is that covered under the warranty?" You deserve to not have it covered!

-mike
  • Options
    out for them. You can't prove to them that you haven't now either! Just one look at your web-site ehhhh paisan :)

Just found out that k&n is made out of cotton. Can I throw it in the washer??? JK
  • Options
    But 1) they'd have to look at my site 2) I can take them to small claims court in NYS, they then need to send a lawyer (it's required for a company to have a lawyer for small claims court) and then they need to prove I had the filter in when I off-roaded it. I'm pretty darn sure that K&N will just send a filter to replace your filter if you send it back as being damaged, not to mention I haven't heard any horror stories about them falling apart.

:)

-mike
  • Options
    Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    Wow, I didn't think my question would cause such a huge discussion (I actually glad it did - this forum was quite silent lately).
    Anyways, I ordered a filter over the weekend and should receive it tomorrow or Wednesday. I payed $49.99 in Autozone ($55 in Checker Auto) and cleaning kit would cost $10.
    Mike, is it pain to clean and re-oil them ?
  • Options
    Forgot to mention another issue...
    For some reason my ABS kicks in when I break (not too hard) on bumpy roads. Anybody else experienced it? It's kind of irritating when you try to put it to stop on a DRY pavement and ABS kicks in and makes your braking distance WAY LONGER!!!
  • Options
    get new shocks. They stock hydrolics only last about 10K miles. I had ABS kick in a lot on bumpy pot-hole streets. As soon as I put in Gas-charged shocks, no more abs problems on bumpy/pot holed roads.

-mike
  • Options
    I haven't re-oiled yet, it comes pre-oiled and i've only had it in there for about 25-30K miles it's still clean.

-mike
  • Options
    armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Still clean after 25,000 miles. HMMM, is it indeed filtering? Second, lifetime warranty, the hassle involved isn't worth it to most people.
  • Options
    Not dirty enough to wash and re-oil it.

-mike
  • Options
    10K miles????? That's just ridiculous !!! The shocks do suck though from day one :-(
  • Options
    Well these trucks are pretty bullet-proof reliability-wise. I'm willing to spend $300 on shocks instead of $3000 for a new tranny at 70K miles.

-mike
  • Options
    drwhoveedrwhovee Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone had any problems with the intermittent wipers not working.Wipers work in slow & fast modes.If it's the switch,do I have to disassemble the steering column to replace it?

this would really impress a lady if I can fix this for her.
    thanks for any info.
  • Options
    karman1karman1 Member Posts: 25
    Does anyone know of a place where I can order factory master brake cylinder from cheap? They told me that it has a leak inside the cylinder itself. I also your discussion on warming up the car, I noticed that my trans doesn't shift rough when it's warmed up and that the brakes work better. However my brakes do suck, often on bumpy roads it's hard to stop, and sometimes the front wheel will lock up. Shop told that because I have a leak in the cylinder that that is why my brakes pedal is loose, when you press on it goes to floor, they told that the pads are fine, although sometimes very rare the truck stops ok.
    2. Also, it seems that my right front suspension squeaks when the road is bounce.
    Can anyone advice me on these issues.
    By the way I have a 98 rodeo LS 2*4 V6.
  • Options
    panjapanja Member Posts: 1
    Do I have to modify anything on Rodeo or the Rancho shocks to use these on my 2000 model Rodeo ?
  • Options
    beezrbeezr Member Posts: 5
    I'm new to Town Hall...couldn't find any discussion group for Honda Passport, so here I am in Rodeo world...I have a 1994 Passport/Rodeo, with 70K miles on it. On Saturday I noticed a large leak, and took it to a local Honda dealer. Well, after putting up on the lift, they gave me a long list of problems...Thermostat hose leaking...power steering pump leaking...valve cover gaskets leaking....many worn belts. The estimate to repair all these problems came to about $1800. I let them repair the first two problems, which only cost $300.

So the truck is still leaking lots of oil because of the valve cover gaskets, but service advisor said I could wait on that repair, as long as I kept checking/filling the oil.

Got the truck back Monday evening...now the Check Engine light is coming on, and staying lit, mainly when I use the air conditioner. My owners manual says this light signifies something wrong with the truck's emission control system.

So does this have anything to do with what they repaired? Or is this an entirely new problem?

I was planning on having the rest of the problems repaired in 2 weeks. Now I'm wondering if I'm facing an even higher repair bill. Should I take the car somewhere else for repairs? Is it even safe to drive with the Check Engine light on?

Sorry for the long post...HELP!!
  • Options
    The CEL in general only comes on when there is a problem with the emissions system. It is safe to drive with a steady CEL, only time you have to stop driving it is if there is a flashing CEL. My guess is that you have a bad Oxygen Sensor. Since it is out of warranty I'd definitely take it to a reputible shop in the area to have the repairs done. Valve cover gaskets and belts shouldn't run more than a few $100 and the O2 sensor is about $100 IIRC.

-mike
  • Options
    I don't know about taking it to a Honda dealer either. It's really an Isuzu and has no relation to Hondas.

If your power steering pump was leaking, how is it that you didn't notice this before? The thermostat hose would be about 1.50. Which belts are they telling you that you need to change??? If they are telling you to change the timing belt, I would be POed cuz the only way they would know that's worn is if they messed with the engine (big-time) and it's not supposed to be changed until 90k miles.
  • Options
    rondo11rondo11 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone out there have an opinion on a '94 Rodeo LS w/ 122K for $5K. My thoughts are that itis overpriced by about $1K. Any thoughts? Thoughts on the vehicle?
  • Options
    but you should check out edmunds True Market Value option and of course thoroughly inspect the vehicle. Who knows. Maybe it's in mint condition, but I doubt it with 122K :)
  • Options
    Depending on where you live. Also I'd look for a 95.5 and up that is when the Rodeo got real good.

-mike
  • Options
    fredsbfredsb Member Posts: 1
    Got a 98 LS. My heater blower motor konked. The switch works, cause' the AC light turns on when pressed and switch is turned above off position. All fuses are entact. Anybody else had this happen? Do those Rodeo guru's think that fan replacement for the do-it-yourselfer sound reasonable? It's under the center console, isn't it? Can someone send me a PDF of technical manual section on this or some ideas before I get raped at dealership? Thanks!
  • Options
    Well, I installed K&N air filter about a week ago. Can't say much about the gas/mileage because we've been hit with snowstorms several times since then, so the mileage is naturally pretty bad (4WD, cold starts, traffic, etc). However, I did notice an improvement in performance. I don't know about the power, but the engine is DEFINITELY runs smoother. Even the sound the engine is making while accelerating is different. It sometimes feels like an improvement in number of horses under the hood, but it's hard to say for sure.
    I also put the same filter in my wife's Mazda. She said she didn't notice any difference, but I didn't drive it yet to check on that. I think there's gotta be some improvement simply because when I was changing the filter I realized that I have never changed an air filter on that car and the car will be 2 years soon with 18K miles on it. Let me tell you this: I didn't know the air filter can be THAT dirty...
  • Options
    sfbayareasfbayarea Member Posts: 7
    Does anybody know when the timing belt should be replaced? I have about 75K miles on my 95.5 Passport at this time.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    I would guess 90K but it could be less. If I had the $ I'd do it at 75K. I think there is a link on http://isuzu-suvs.com to a chart of timing belt replacement schedules.

-mike

• Options
    pondviewpondview Member Posts: 22
    Where can I get Rodeo accessories online. I've looked at Isuzuparts.net, by the shipping is too high as they are in WA and I'm in RI. I'm looking for black side steps, dealers are quoting $400, Isuzuparts.net has them for $298, but $75 shipping...still cheaper than the rip-off dealers, but just wondering if there is anyone else out there.
  • Options
    matt over at Independet4x.com he makes side steps that also act as rocker bars to protect the rocker panels when off-roading. He's located in NYC so you could shoot down and pick em up from him.

-mike
  • Options
    zman21zman21 Member Posts: 46
    Try partscheap.com or stcharlesauto.com...i've had good luck w/ both.
  • Options
    I leased a 98 Rodeo S and at the time the buy out was $16,700. I called last week and was told I could purchase for $13,000. I checked back yesterday and was quoted $11,500(I guess I was given the dealer break cost). I haggled a bit more and now it's down to $11,000.(plus my remaing payments, so total would be $11,700) I can see why GE Capital is getting out of leasing business, they must be taking a beating. i'm still not sure if I should buy out and sell on my own or have dealer buy me out(one has already agreed). The Rodeo only has 37,000 miles, and a power sun roof, it's in very good condition. I'm leaning towards letting the dealer have it, i'm sure the market is flooded and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle selling it myself. I'm in RI...Any advice? NADA, Kelley blue book, and Edmond's True Market Value figures vary greatly. Is getting $12,000 plus going to be fairly easy?
  • Options
    Thanks for the links, Partscheap.com was fantastic. Ordered side steps, hood protector, and tail light trim and shipping from CA to RI was only $36. Side steps were only $281..a far cry from the dealer quoted cost of $411, then an extra $100 to install. You got to be kidding me, all it is is a couple of bolts to fasten.

thanks again
  • Options
    armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    If you have a car max or similar operation near you worth a shot. They guarantee the price for a week and you can then do the buy out and go to Car MAx and sell it to them for a profit. Assuming the price is higher of course. I have seen some great used car prices offered from Car MAx
  • Options
    boy, this board is dead, lol I just bought a new Rodeo LSE. The ride is so much better than my 1998 Rodeo. Is the intelligent suspension the reason? Would the ride be the same as my 1998 without the Intell. susp. option, or have there been other improvements?
  • Options
    amigo_johnamigo_john Member Posts: 107
    I think most of the hardcore off-roaders either own an Amigo or Trooper. Most of the Rodeoites are daily drivers and don't tinker with improvements and aftermarket add-ons so they don't have as much to talk about.

The 98 had a lot more problems than the following years. The 2001-2002 models have a slightly beefed up frame in the front for better crash protection. I wouldn't be surprised if they made some ride improvements too. My 2001 rides a lot smoother than my 96 Rodeo or 98 Amigo did. Do we have a Rodeo suspension expert around here???
  • Options
    jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    Our 2001 Rodeo LS is now a year old, with 10K miles, and we have really enjoyed it. We have had no problems, so far. Good luck on your new LSE.
  • Options
    catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    Does anyone know if the Rodeo engines are interference or non-interference engines??
  • Options
    The ABS light on my 1998 Rodeo stays on all the time, it statted about 3 months ago(it has 37k miles) My local mechanic tested the brakes and said they were fine. Is it probably just the sensor and no reason to be concerned...or could it be something more serious? I really don't want to take it to the dealer.
  • Options
    Probably a sensor. The parking brake light would come on if it was a problem with the brake system.

-mike
  • Options
    Depends on what generation. The SOHC are non-interfernece, the DOHC is interference IIRC. http://isuzu-suvs.com I think has a link to the Gates page which tells which is which.

-mike

• Options
    As I recall too, if it is the SOHC Isuzu V-6 then non-interference, if it is the DOHC Isuzu V-6 then it is interference. I do not know which engine Isuzu was putting in the '98 Rodeos though.
  • Options
    Was DOHC.

-mike
  • Options
    jspikeyjspikey Member Posts: 21
    I had the same problem with my 97 honda Passport. You can check if the fan is working by supplying 12 Volts to it. If it spins then it's not the fan. More than likely it is the switch, even though the A/C light comes on. The switch is easy to replace. It's right next to the fan, if you're looking up at the fan, it should be on the right side. It costs about $50.00 for the switch not accurate though, it's been a while since I replaced mine. Hope that helps...
  • Options
    jspikeyjspikey Member Posts: 21
    I just replaced my original tires Goodyear Wrangler AP 245/70 16 with Continental Contitrac SUV. I am pleased to say that the Continental tires are better than the goodyear. I used to feel vibrations on my 97 Passport at 65 MPH and disappears at 70 MPH. The Vibrations disappered with the continental tires. I got them at Discount Tires for 85 bucks ea. My other problem with the goodyear tire was the shock absorption of the tires on rough roads. The sidewalls were very stiff so I felt every bump on the road. With the continental tires I did not have to dodge the same bumps I usually drive to and it doesn't feel jittery at all. It's like driving a car. This tires are highly recommended. It comes with 60,000 mile waranty.
  • Options
    tapone1tapone1 Member Posts: 8
    I just took my 98 Rodeo to Discount Tires. They twisted one stud off, so they never put the tires on (appears it is their policy). They told me it was a common with Isuzu to use a lesser quality stud. I have received conflicting info from two different Merlins Muffler shops with one agreeing about the lesser quality studs and they suggest I replace all of them. The muffler shop also twisted one off when doing the brakes. Anyone else have this problem?
  • Options
    It is the shops. They don't use the proper torque stick on their impact wrenches. Basically you are supposed to have no more than 75ft-lbs of torque applied to the studs. Most put them on with the full impact wrench of 150ft-lbs, and therefore twist them off. I always fore-warn a shop that they'll be replacing them if they snap em off.

-mike
  • Options
    This happens on all makes and models because shops are lazy and set the impact wrench way to high when they put the nuts/lugs on the studs. The next time you try to take them off, whether by hand or by machine, they are going to bust. The problem is now you have gone 5000 miles or more and you don't even remember the name of the shop that torqued them down too much in the first place :-(
  • Options
    keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    I used to have studs breaking all the time on my previous Isuzus. Isuzu was definately using an inferior stud. That simply should not happen and it consistently did.
  • Options
    That is the key, it happens to Montero, subarus, tons of cars, not just isuzus.

-mike
  • Options
    tapone1tapone1 Member Posts: 8
    I personally have never taken the tires off, with the exception of the recent brake jobs done by a shop. The corporate office states that they torque to manufacturers specs. I guess there are multiple reasons why this happens; it just seems odd one seems to break each time the tires are taken off. I'll post the end result.
  • Options
    They all *SAY* they torque em to the manufacturer's specs, but in actuality they don't usually, unless you specify it or you watch em do it.

-mike