Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• npathfindernpathfinder Member Posts: 21
    Anybody have a remote start installed in a 2001 Pathfinder? Does it void the warranty? Can you use just one remote? If anybody has any information, please let me know. THanks
  • budrtsbudrts Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to Edmunds and all you who write into this message board. I got a lot of helpful ideas -- the other really great site is carbuyingtips.com.

I wanted to tell you shoppers what worked for me.

I bought a bronze LE 4x4 for $30,800. The invoice was:
    Base 28,910
    tow 305
    body molding 73
    microfilter 38
    floor mats 58
    leather 1,734
    LSD 216
    dest 540
    TOTAL: 31,916

Nissan this weekend (at least in our area of N California) was offering a $1000 customer rebate, so that's how I got the PF for $1,100 under invoice.

The approach I took, after checking Carsdirect, was to begin faxing dealers from my computer with an offer of $31,800 less rebate. I had thought about going to Canada, but when I got a local dealer reply within 4 hours to my fax, and she accepted my offer without a blink, I decided that the additional savings wasn't worth the extra effort and costs. I could have continued the faxing process to squeeze the price down more, but the rebate is up tomorrow.

Anyway, the fax approach really worked for me. The dealer called, I went in, spent an hour, and left with my PF. No pain for them, none for me.

Good luck to you other car shoppers out there.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks for the post, budrts. Faxing seems to be "in" this week:

Blast Fax Car Buying (by Edmunds consumer advice editor Phil Reed).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    gmcintosh,
    When going to Canada you can't get the 3.9% financing. Whether one or the other is a better deal depends on you situation. The longer you finance and the more you finance favors the 3.9%.

But the Canandian exchange rate just got better for us again. An LE with leather and AWD is now just at $28,000. You won't get anywhere near that in the US. Lots of people from the NE and the NW still go up there. But I also know folks from over a 1000 miles away who have gone up to Toronto, Ottawa, and Vancouver. Montreal and Calgary are also good locations.

-Jon
    jonlofquist@aol.com
    Yes, I did get the "program" from the shop manual before. Here it is again...

The indicated temperature on the thermometer is not readily affected by engine heat. It changes only when one of the following conditions is present.
    a) The temperature detected by the ambient air temperature sensor is lower than the indicated temperature on the thermometer.
    b) The difference in temperature detected during a period of 40 seconds is less than 1°C (1.8°F) when vehicle speed has been greater than 24 km/h (15 MPH) for more than 100 seconds.
    (This is to prevent the indicated temperature from being affected by engine heat or cooling fan operation during low-speed driving.)
    c) The ignition key has been turned to the “OFF” position for more than 4 hours. (The engine is cold.)

The computer tries to account for the location of the sensor. I find mine is very accurate, but then again I don't do a lot of low speed driving.

-Jon
    (it will be reading well under 0 this week if the weatherman is right....)
  • usarmytttusarmyttt Member Posts: 21
    This site is absolutely the best,I read the info almost daily.
    Just got back from my first long trip in my 2001 LE,rode like a champ,no shimmy,just beautiful,better than our 1999 SE Max.I have been getting about 16.9 MPG in the city,can't wait to go fill up today and see what I got on the highway,will post it later.
    I wanted to put what I paid for my Pathfinder in case someone in the NC triad area is looking:
    2001 LE,AWD,Leather,Loaded minus NAV/ENT/Micro filter,plus pin stripe,wheel locks and mud guards.
    paid $30,581 w/3.9 APR at Asheboro Nissan.They were $1200 less than the "Volume"dealers in the area.I also bought a 2000 Sentra SE from them in Sep 2000,they are easy to deal with. If you are in this area and looking drop me a line and I will tell you who to deal with.
    I am looking for any new info on this Zain polish,I am about to buy...should I?
    One last thing, TINT those front windows,what a difference it makes.
  • jambazijambazi Member Posts: 51
    How much should it cost to tint the front windows?

How do we know if we're getting a good tint job vs. a bad one?

Things to look out for?
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    I was contacted by some folks on another board. I have not changed my tires, yet, but I intend to. One guy went from 255/65r16 to 255/70r16 on his SE. He said that in the Bridgestone A/T's, the tires rubbed a little in very sharp turns into steep driveways. He went to the H/L's in the same size and doesn't have any rubbing. Another guy went with from 255/65r16 to 245/70r16 in the Pirelli Scorpion A/T. Technical: the stock Bridgestone 255/65r16 is 29.1 inches in diameter. The stock Bridgestone 245/70r16 (on the XE) is 29.6 or 29.7 inches in diameter. The 1999.5+ Pathfinder can handle 30.2 inches diameter, 10.2 inches tire width (I'm not COMPLETELY positive on that number), and 7.5 inches of tread width. I believe the Bridgestone A/T in the 255/70r16 is 30.4 inches in diameter and causes only slight rubbing. The Pirelli A/T is only 30.2 inches in diameter, though. The 255/70r16 Bridgestone A/T looks good on the truck. The H/L does, too, but the A/T makes it look tough. I haven't seen anything else.

Somebody earlier said that "all the tests" show that the K&N is "worse than the cheap paper filters" and that the Amsoil foam filter is "the best." There haven't been many tests. On top of that, we aren't really sure of the validity of the tests that we have seen. I'm sure the Amsoil filter is a good product, too, but the only filters I've ever used have been the cheap paper filters and K&N filters. In my '84 300ZX, I saw an improvement of about 2 mpg on the highway from the filter alone (add another 3 to 6 mpg with an exhaust system) and never saw any problems (120,000? miles). My '93 Altima with 130,000 miles (85,000 w/K&N) gained a consistent 1 to 2 mpg and a little power with the K&N. To this day it runs better than my mother's '96 Altima with only 26,000 miles (and she babies cars). On my '95 Accord, I definitely gained some power in the high end when I put a K&N cone filter on it and gained about a mpg. I ran the paper filter on my '99.5 for about 6,000 miles and never got better than 18 mpg (averaged 16 mpg). I've had the K&N in there for about 17,000 miles and recently got a 400 mile trip average of about 19 mpg (with speeds averaging around 80 mph with 4 adults and their luggage) and I average close to 17 mpg.
  • kevin91kevin91 Member Posts: 4
    Response to 1313, npathfinder:
    I have a remote start installed in my LE 2001 AWD, it works great. It does not void the warranty as long as you have it install by nissan dealer. Yes, you can use your own car key remote to start the car, what you have to do is press a "lock" button twice and it will activate the starter. A remote start cost me around 300$ and some change ( it included the extra key that they have to cut to get a "CHIP" from the key and put in the car).
    Hope this help, good luck

Kevin
  • usarmytttusarmyttt Member Posts: 21
    I paid $50 for the front. As for a good job,what I did was ask some of the young kids in the area who have thier cars all tricked out. I then verified with some of the stereo shops. They will know who does a good job in your town. Also ask what kind of tint they use, should have lifetime guarantee. When it is done check for major bubbles,I will tell you there is no such thing as a perfect job(may have a few very small bubbles)but 97% of people will never see them unless they are smelling your glass,haha. Also the tint takes a few days to completely dry and seal it will haze up at first but do not worry it will go away and look great.I used to live in Florida and you had to tint because of the heat,now I just can't live without all windows tinted because of the look it gives my vehicles.
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Please be aware that it is illegal to tint the front windows in some states. State Troopers don't like being "surprised" when pulling folks over.
  • newsuvbuyer1newsuvbuyer1 Member Posts: 4
    I am thinking of buying a 2001 SE 4x4 Automatic with Leather and Sunroof packages. Can somebody suggest me how much should I pay for it(including taxes, tags, freight charges) on the road price in Northern Virginia.
    Also which is a better choice LE or SE 4X4.? I need it more of city driving.
    Thanks
    Which part of NE are you? Can you send me some details about the dealer who called you.
    Last time I looked at their website, K&N wasn't making claims for improved mpg. Lots of posts over in K & N Air Filters - Bolt on Power? debating these filters.

Steve
    Host
  • nismofreaknismofreak Member Posts: 120
    To make sure I am understanding this correctly, the dealer had to locate a "chip" near the ignition so the truck can start without a key, right? If that is the case, did that change your insurance? I would seem that the truck is now easier to steal, no?
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    Thanks for the link. I read through some of it and i intend to go read some more. I don't remember exactly what K&N claims on their website. You're probably right, though. I was just posting what I know. I've felt the slight power improvement, but I don't have any Dyno tests to prove anything. The power gain could be my imagination...even if I don't think it is. I do have solid gas mileage numbers for my vehicles and none of the vehicles have had any problems...especially not related to the air filter. That was my reason for posting all of that.
    Response to 1327: nismofreak
    Yes, you have to have a "chip" installed in your car "near" the ignition in order to START the car without key, BUT you can't DRIVE the car without put your key into ignition and turn to ON position. If you don't have the key in ignition and you push the brake down, the engine will be cut-off. ( You have to push the brake down in order to shift the lever or stick). I don't think install the remote start will increase my insurance, but I don't tell them anyway. If a theft really want your car, they will get it no matter what you do. Did you see a movie " GONE IN 60 SECONDS " yet ??....Cheer....

Hope this help

Kevin
  • cboscocbosco Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to lease a 2001 2WD LE with leather, Entertainment, mats, body side mouldings. I want 3 years 15,000 per year. I need to keep payments in the $420/month. I expect to put down $2000.

Can this be done????
  • cboscocbosco Member Posts: 2
    Does this setup include a TV tuner? I noticed the VCR has Audio and Video inputs. Can I assume I can hook a nintendo to it????

If this is true then even if it does not come with a TV Tuner I can just replace the Video Player with one that has a Tuner built in???? Has anyone ddone this??? Please advise...
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Should be no sweat on a 01 LE 2wd. I leased a 01 4x4 LE loaded (no nav/ent syst) 4/00 and put no money down. 3yr/36k lease and my payment is only 461.00/mo. In general for most leases every 1000 down lowers payments around 40/month.
  • npathfindernpathfinder Member Posts: 21
    In response to your message. What if my nissan dealer does not install remote starts? I found a local shop that can install one. They said the unit installed would be $250.00 plus I would have to purchase an aditional key for it. The starter is made by AC Delco and it will work with my factory remote. They said I would just have to press the lock button twice. Do you think it would void my warranty? How do you like the remote start? Does it work well for you?
  • fossfatefossfate Member Posts: 12
    for those of you that asked...
    "Michele" is the person I talked to on 2/18
    offering the 2001 PF with all the fixins for $5,000 off MSRP. she said they were only running the special on the ones with nav/entertainment. MSRP is $36,000. They have a web site. www.portcitynissan.com
    Their inventory is listed on the site as well.
    good luck
  • mlosteomlosteo Member Posts: 4
    I got an offer today from a Nissan dealer for a new Burnt Cherry Pathfinder LE 2wd with Tan Interior with a navigation system. It was actually $29,800 plus tax. Is that a good deal?
  • fossfatefossfate Member Posts: 12
    does anybody know anything about the 2002 PF?
    where can I find out? when will they start to appear?
  • rickw4rickw4 Member Posts: 2
    I'm not finding any reasonable deals for buying a new 2001 Pathfinder out here in SE Washington State, and plan to take a trip to Canada soon.
    Can anybody help me find a message I saw posted here about a month ago, concerning a free package that described all the details about purchasing a car in Canada?
    Help is much appreciated...Thanks...Rick
  • jambazijambazi Member Posts: 51
    It's all in the FAQ, on my website, which I'm not allowed to hyperlink here because the managers at Edmunds.com seem to consider it "soliciting."

Send me an e-mail and I'll tell you where it is.

--Howie
    Response to 1337: RICKW4

You can go back and read Msg# 672 ( or go to the top of this page, right corner and enter this number 672). I think Jon will happy to help you out.

Good Luck

Kevin
    Rick,
    My email address is jonlofquist@aol.com. Drop me a note and I'll be able to answer questions and give you details and contact for buying from Canada. I think we're up to about 25 now who have done it. Also more info is at post #2 above.
    -Jon
  • aspenwhiteaspenwhite Member Posts: 39
    I need some advise on what kind of Synthetic LSD gear oil and Synthetic ATF other than Amsoil (I can't find their products in my area) to use on my 01'PF LE. Thanks for your time as always.-AW
    aspenwhite,
    Take a look at RedLine (www.redlineoils.com). They are very popular with many of the perfomance car groups I participate in or read (Merkur, Audi, Volkswagen, Suzuki,...). They have a variey of products and weights for transmission, transfer case, and differential. Not cheap ($8 a quart), but can feel the difference. VERY noticable below zero with a 5spd for instance. I have all the correct products for the Path written down at home. Or you can call them and they will help. They sell direct I think, but I usually order by mail from either Summit or another company (forgot the name - it's also at home).
    -Jon
  • dennis1950dennis1950 Member Posts: 33
    How good is the rear window deflector on the 01 LE? When driving in the snow, does it keep the road spray off the window? I don't have one and found that I had to keep the rear window wipers on in order to see through the window.
  • bdk4bdk4 Member Posts: 3
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your reply on the 4WDH to 2WD quesiton. Your scenario is exactly what happens - coming off a snow covered side street to a main roadway.
    I've since found that by putting the truck into park at a stoplight, there are a lot in Chicagoland, also sends it back to 2WD quickly.
    Thanks again!
    If I buy a 2001 X4 LE for all options except Navigation for an out of the door price of 32400, is it a good deal in Virginia (about 4.5% tax, and 250 Processiong fee).
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Don't forget, 5-6pm Pacific tonight! Hope to see some of you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/cartalk022001.html?id=hphall2.cartalk2
    Thanks lofquist! BTW and before I call them, do you know the capacities for the transmission, transfer case and differential? TIA.-AW
  • coolpathcoolpath Member Posts: 2
    Thanx Everyone for the information,

I want to ask about increasing the performance on my PF 99.5 LE
    Did anyone try anything out?
    Does the K&N work on the 99.5?

Thanx
  • rman2rman2 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone out there know if 3.9 and $500 rebate is going to continue til March? Dealers around here are very tight lipped. A post I read earlier said that Nissan offered $1000 rebate last weekend(in CA I think). Also, the dealer I've been working with says that Nissan adds $500 advertising charge to all of his invoices (which I have seen). Is this a legitimate charge and has anyone else experienced it?
  • pespringerpespringer Member Posts: 3
    I have been the proud owner of a 2001 Pathfinder LE since Aug. 2000, but today I am ticked off. I have been very happy with my rig thus far, but I had a rotten experience today which has left me irritated to say the least. I had one CD in my player, and to the best of my recollection had listened to it all the way through two times. When I attempted to eject it, I got an ERR 2 message, and I haven't been able to use the CD player since. I finally got around to taking it in, and my local dealership attempted to correct the problem. They were unable to get the CD out, and to make matters worse they produced a memo (From Nissan or Clarion) which states that this has been a fairly common problem due to human error. They are claiming that people are improperly loading CD's when the red light on their player is on. My contention is that the CD could not be improperly loaded if I listened to it. My local dealership said that all they could do was to order a new player (at my cost) and I would have to take up my concern with Clarion. What???? I am extremely ticked off. What good is a warranty if the dealership can pull this kind of nonsense? I should add that I bought my PF out of the area because I got a much better deal elsewhere. I know this should not matter. I am looking for suggestions. I haven't been on this message board in months , so I don't know if anyone else has had this same problem. Help!!
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Assuming you mean 4WD LE with all opts but Nav...that's an invoice of 33,022. Your price of 32,400 (assuming that includes 4.5% tax and lic/reg and there are no other charges) is 30,766 before tax & lic/reg which is $2,256 below invoice. I guess they're giving them away now.
  • rickw4rickw4 Member Posts: 2
    My thanks to Kevin (msg 1333), Howie (msg 1332), and Jon (msg 1334) for info about this subject. Have contacted Jon, but don't know how to contact you, Howie. I'm at RWilliford9949@hotmail.com....Rick
    lofquist,
    I got all the capacities from meca2's posting #811. I think #811 should be in the FAQ. Thanks to both of you.-AW
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    See posts #1058 & #1064 on this subject.

Mbunting...any update on your CD changer replacement? cause?

I really don't want this to happen and wonder what circumstances cause this, unless it's simply that some players are defective.

I don't undersdtand the 'human error' bit about loading CDs when the red light is on...how does one do this? As I recall, the light for any one (or more) of the six slots is red to indicate that a CD is loaded in that slot. Solid green for a slot means that slot is playing. To load a CD, you press the button of an empty slot, its green light starts flashing and when the 'wait' msg turns to 'load', you put in the CD. It seems that you can't put a CD in at any other time. Pressing the button of a slot showing red makes that slot play. Sounds like they're BSing you big time. I would contact Nissan NA directly.
  • allmusiqallmusiq Member Posts: 2
    Will Nissan and/or Infiniti make a larger model than the Pathfinder/QX4? Where can I find info on this?
  • lisafrsandiegolisafrsandiego Member Posts: 12
    I spoke with a dealer in the Los Angeles area today who said the 3.9% will continue through March and he has seen it advertised (LA Times or other local paper.) I was feeling the same pressure to buy that you are but figure with all the good deals I've seen things probably won't change much in the near future.

Please re-check the 3.9% through March with another source or email me and I'll give you the contact info of the dealer who told me this. I don't want you to miss out on a good deal because there is always a chance that I was misinformed. :-)
  • fordnightmarefordnightmare Member Posts: 40
    I'm considering the PF for my next vehicle, but a few, and I stress a few, posts regarding the AWD spin-outs have me concerned. I'm not a 4WD expert, but why not just stick with the 4WD high and not worry about any changes (mix of ice/snow)in road conditions. Although, I would think that we would hear of more spin-outs from other makes AWD vehicles. What am I missing??

Thanks,
    Otto
  • sbelfieldsbelfield Member Posts: 41
    Regarding your 4.5% sales tax....

I talked to a dealer and they said the sales tax in VA for autos is 3.2%.

Not sure why its lower than the retail sales tax (4.5%) though??
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I think pespringer/Nissan/Clarion is referring to the red light on either side of the cd insertion slot that turns green when it's OK to insert the CD (along with the message on the display).
  • eagle30eagle30 Member Posts: 28
    Hi out there, I was shopping for a totally different vehicle,thinking the PA was to expensive for my wallet. I just want to crunch the numbers with the (3.9%) so I stop into a Nissan dealership. drove the PA and love it. These are the offers I got, are they good? I could not sleep last night, I could almost taste this SUB. SE 4x4, sunroof,without leather package,$28,666, I pay taxes,ad fees, etc. The SE 4x4 with the leather package, sunroof, $30,614.00. The EL 4x4 all toys and bells, sunroof etc. minus the navigation system $31,254.00 plus taxes, ad fee. I just would like to know what you All think. I have not done a lot of research on pricing, I believe the vehicle is solid otherwise. Thanks for all of your help in advance. I will need to make a decision by Sat to get the 3.9%. Bye for now.
  • eagle30eagle30 Member Posts: 28
    PF = Pathfinder EL = LE
    You have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button that follows your message after you post it.

Steve
    Host