Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    I picked up a loaded (minus NAV & ENT Systems and Tow Hitch) 2001 Pathfinder LE w/ AWD on January 6th for $31,000.00 + TTL, in Maryland.

I think both of you guys (dawkdd & rman2) could probably do better than the prices you quoted above ($33,700 & $32,100). I have the exact same vehicle and paid $31K out the door. If your local dealer can't get the price somewhere near the $31K mark, I would look elsewhere.

This is all just my opinion, but, the Pathfinder LE is still worth it at $32K or $34K (I love mine!), just trying to keep a little extra $$$ in your pockets. Maybe you could split the difference with me?

Good luck..keep us informed.....
  • goose1207goose1207 Member Posts: 113
    I'm in Mass. too and got my '01 LE (loaded except for NAV, ent. & tow hitch) for $31,500 out the door. This was back in Dec., prior to the $500 rebate so you should be able to get in one for $31k. Clay wasn't willing to deal too much (internet sales request) and I didn't want to buy from Quirk again --leased a 99.5 PF from them and didn't like their customer I don't care. Got mine through the internet salesman at www.marlboro-nissan.com
  • goose1207goose1207 Member Posts: 113
    I picked up the Swifters as you had suggested. Have you tried using this on the guage cluster lens cover? I don't want to scratch it. Thanks.
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    Looks like you "enjoyed the ride" backwards down the hill!! The main reason
    the back end like to overtake the front is the LSD. When one tire stops turning,
    hits ice,snow,ect they both stop turning!! Or going up the hill one tire spins they
    both spin and around you go. This has happend to me twice. Next time NO LSD.
    PS: the ABS works above 6 mph in all conditions except driving backwards.
    Cheers
  • dawkdddawkdd Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I just purchased the Pathfinder LE with everything but the Navigation and Entertainment Systems. I got a price of $500 over invoice. I'm pretty satisfied with the price. One thing to keep in mind is that the early 2001 models cost less than the later 2001 models because only the later 2001 models have the All Mode 4WD/AWD (I found this out because I almost purchased the LE that the owner had used for the last month until we figured out it didn't have the All Mode. The Invoice was almost $1000 less than a similarly equipped LE with the ALL Mode). I'm not sure exactly how much the cost will be (as the owner is tracking down the exact color combination that I want), but it will be about 32,500 - 33,000. I've seen the dealer's holdback and the invoice from the dealer's own paperwork, and this matches up with the invoice numbers I've seen on kbb.com (sorry edmunds, so I think that, at least in Massachusetts, you won't do much better on late-model 2001's. Of course someone will think I was "taken," but, if you do, please don't burst my bubble.
  • captainroncaptainron Member Posts: 58
    Hi all,
    I wanted to first thank you all for the great information! I was jones'n for a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for a long time, but the more informed I became, the more I realized that I I didn't want to spend the rest of my days in the service department. That lead me to drive other vehicles and the Pathfinder was a slam-dunk. Here's the deal I just struck after about three intense weeks at carsdirect.com, autobytel, three local dealers and two out of state dealers:

2001 Pathfinder LE, 4X4, Burnt Cherry, AWD, Leather, Tow, Navigation and all the small stuff (mats, mouldings, etc...). MSRP: 37,241. Invoice: 33,638. Local dealer 1: invoice, but then hit me with $560 ad fees. Local dealer 2: $500 over invoice, but only had one with the additional $1300 ent system. Local dealer 3: invoice, but couldn't find one...would order after the 3.9% financing is likely over. Out of state dealer 1: $800 over invoice, but would not commit to that in writing until I flew to Arizona (um, what?)! Out of state dealer 2: $5000 discount off MSRP=$32,241! That's $1,397 under invoice and NO advertizing fees or hidden charges...Just $195 TTL. They had the color I wanted BURNT CHERRY and the pricing still has me shaking my head. They were outstanding to deal with as well. I know...pleasant, honest, respectful treatment from car sales(wo)men...say it ain't so! I got the tip on this dealer from a message on this list (most cool). e-mail me if you want more details...

Two more things:
    I have an intense spreadsheet detailing all the numbers on this deal including financing, taxes, downpayments and the deals I found. If anyone wants a copy, just shoot me an e-mail. It might help you in the haggling process.

Also, I prefer the look of the SE on the outside (Titanium fender flares, step rails and bumper covers). Anyone want to swap these parts with those from my LE? I'm in Los Angeles...

Thanks again all!!! Ron. . .
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Those who know me probably expect now that everytime we discuss prices that I will chime in about going up to Canada to buy your PF. The exchange rate took a big jump in the last two weeks. An LE with AWD, leather and more will sell at the right dealers for well under $28,000. It's easy to save a bundle for a quick couple day trip. I'll keep this short - see post #2 above for some more info. I did it and I know 25 more who have since. Email me if you'd like some help.
    -Jon
    jonlofquist@aol.com
  • rcsuttonrcsutton Member Posts: 35
    I bought a 2000 SE last June of "00" 25000 miles so far. I self installed the Air Springs. Nice afternoon job. The compressor went underneath in front of the spare and the gauge went under the dash below the steering wheel. These air springs make all the difference in the world it actually makes the Pathy more of a truck able to haul a load without he rear end scraping the ground. I have also installed a transmission cooler and changed out the differential & tranny fluids to Amsoil synthetic and changed to the K & N filtercharger, I upgraded the Stereo with Amp & sub installed a C/D changer and I'm on my merry way. I hate to say it but this vehicle has not seen the dealership since the day I bought it.
    Take care
    Bob
    S. Fl.
    No snow here!
  • dennis1950dennis1950 Member Posts: 33
    To anyone who has changed the microfilter:
    Following the info posted here, I removed the 6 screws to remove the glovebox. Problem was, the glovebox still was hung up on the right side. Did not want to force it as I was not sure what I was getting into. Help!
  • bludev83bludev83 Member Posts: 2
    Just had the unpleasant experience of surviving a 'spontaneous acceleration' incident in my 01 SE 4WD auto with 5000 miles. At a full stop, with brakes applied, the engine takes off to approx. 6000 rpm for 2-3 sec. while I do nothing but bear down on the brakes to keep from moving. Also, my other later reaction was to shift from Drive to Neutral which may have caused the engine (controller) to settle down to norm idle but things happened too fast for my adrenaline-infused brain to take copious notes on cause/effect. What's the deal? I'm not looking forward to tasking the dealer to recreate and solve this problem. I could not duplicate the problem myself. No, I was not applying gas and brake with one foot simultaneously. Nothing in NHTSA on this to date. Anyone else? Should the controller/computer latch an error code as result of this?
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey, does anyone know when the 3.9% financing is supposed to end? Also, for those who purchased with the navigation system, are you happy with it?
  • max_n_pathmax_n_path Member Posts: 1
    bought new on 2/15/2001 in Dublin, CA with 22 miles:
    - 2001 path LE AWD, silver
    - leather package
    - LSD
    - floor mats
    - in cabin filter
    - moonroot deflector
    - color key body moldings

$29,600 (not including tax and licensing) with 3.9% for 60 months. That's $5253 off MSRP. Also got the dealer to throw in 2 free gas refills (in addition to initial tank leaving the dealer). Antioch dealer was willing to do 29,500 a week earlier, but I walked out after a hour of negotiation because I hoped to do better. Those are the best prices after talking with 4+ dealerships.

Nice dealership and nice sales guy. I ended buying from Dublin because it's closer to home and they're building a big new building for the Nissan dealership & service shop (nice should I need help with my max or new path).

The sales guy was new to the dealership and so he was really trying to help me with the Gen. Mgr. in order to get past his probation quota. Nice guy too. I'm not related in any way to the dealership or salesman, but I thought I'd pass on a good deal. Try "Ramon Gatchalian" at 925-829-0800.

good luck,
    rob

ps. I'm very happy, so far, with my new pathfinder.
  • drkman65drkman65 Member Posts: 1
    Would love to see your spreadsheet, I own a 98 QX4, and am seriously thinking of getting an upgrade 01/Q or Pathy.

adamsee@ndw.navy.mil
  • sbelfieldsbelfield Member Posts: 41
    Please send me a copy as well. What state did you purchase from?

sambelfield@hotmail.com
  • nismofreaknismofreak Member Posts: 120
    Actually my truck doesn't have LSD. Just an open diff. Does the FSM say that the ABS works on speeds higher than 6 mph in all drive train configs??? (4wd-Hi, 2wd, 4wd-Low)

thanks...
    What cooler did you install? What weather conditions are you driving in (cold winters)? Does it have a built-in thermostat? How much do you tow?

thanks...
  • pyrenuspyrenus Member Posts: 19
    Can't find an email for you. Please send me a copy too.

pyrenus@hotmail.com

Thanks
    I know you don't like LSDs. This is the first vehicle that I have owned that doesn't have one. And with my experience I would rather have a LSD rather than open. And if I do have a LSD, then I would rather have a Torsen diff. You are right the when coasting that the will with the traction will stop spinning as well, but this is where Torsen diffs rule. The Torsen diff will then act like an open diff when open since there is no torque applied to the wheels from the drive train. If I could find a Torsen diff to both fit in the existing pumpkin and handle the torque, then I would swap in a weekend!

cheers!

ps. My offer still stands if you want to swap diffs/axles some time during the summer.
  • garonoffgaronoff Member Posts: 8
    First, a question: You mention the AWD item. I looked at a LE yesterday that has the switch letting you choose 4WD, 2WD, Tow or AUTO. Is the AUTO the AWD that you're referencing? Or is AWD something different?

Second, I'd love a copy of your spreadsheet. I'm buying in the next few days. Thanks...Gregg
  • lorensfishlorensfish Member Posts: 2
    i would really like to see your spread sheet thanks teqreeler@aol.com
  • xplorer2xplorer2 Member Posts: 17
    I have used the swifters on the gauge cover, I find it less abrasive than paper towels, but I make sure I do that first (so that there isn't any previous dust/dirt on the swifter)... I haven't noticed any scratching thus far, I will let you know when I get back in my car today.

X2
  • jack0565jack0565 Member Posts: 6
    I really love my LE Pathy with FT4WD. But, the horn is very whimpy. Does anyone know if it's
    difficult to replace and where could I find a new one?
  • millhouser1millhouser1 Member Posts: 13
    Anyone know what gas to use in the PF. The informative FAQ says 91 AKI (octane) at the same time saying 87 AKI. Anyone know which one it is?
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    You should use 91 AKI with the new VQ engine (2001 PF).

The 87 AKI is a recommended minimum to use under certain unusual circumstances (high altitude driving as defined in the manual, or emergencies when 91 octane is unavailable). I suspect that using less than 87 AKI even under these unusual circumstances could cause serious engine damage fairly quickly.
    Thanks for the info. I should have specified that I am driving a 99.5 SE. Does that change anything?
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    The 99.5 uses the VG33E engine which requires 87 AKI (no more, no less). Some owners have reported small benefits to using 89 or 91 such as reduced engine noise and vibration, smoother acceleration and slightly improved mileage, but the differences were small and not proven conclusively (that I'm aware of).
    I appreciate your information Phil47
    Hi all,

For all that asked for the spreadsheet, I just shipped it out. My appologies for not providing my e-mail address. It's: ron.chase@internetmachines.com Feel free to send me a note if you want the spreadsheet.

Also, I considered long and hard about buying it in Canada...Heck, a ski vacation is a real bargain up there with the exchange rate!...but, I hate paperwork (I usually miss some detail or deadline), I'd miss out on the 3.9% financing (Saved me...let me look at that spreadsheet:$3135 in interest alone) and there are some subtle differences in the Canadian Pathfinders...Roof rack, speedo, odo, etc...

I bought it at Port City Nissan in Portsmouth, NH. This also gives me a great excuse to take a long overdue vacation(adventure) to visit some folks and see the country from behind the wheel of a new Pathfinder!

Ron. . .
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    My previous vehicle (90 4Runner) also had a wimpy horn (excuse please, honourable Japanese SUV would like right of way ;-). I replaced with horns I bought at an auto parts store. They are truck electric horns (not air horns, which when are good quality are very expensive, due in part to the need for a good compressor). You buy them in pairs (the tones clash, making them more irritating - er - noticable). I installed them and used a separate horn relay, which was tripped by the stock horn relay. I'm going to install them in the Pathfinder when it warms up a bit. I'm planning on putting in a rocker switch, which will select the stock horn (description as above), or the truck horns (get out of the *&^%$#$ way!). With horns, it's important to convey the proper message, so as not to unnecessarily irritate those you just want to tell, "excuse me". In the 4Runner I had to remove and then reinstall the bumper ends so I could bolt them inside the bumper, but the Pathfinder has lots of room in front of the rad.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Thanks for the info. What was necessary for installation of the air bags? Did you have to remove the rear bump stops in order to install them? Where did you buy your set?
    Thanks.
  • rcsuttonrcsutton Member Posts: 35
    The " rear bump stops" did have to be removed but it was not real clear in the instructions. Great addition to vehicle. I checked my records and purchased them through Summit Racing for $159.39 that included shipping, great deal. I also purchased the Tranny cooler through the same supplier, I think. Under $50.00 dollars and very easy to install once you figure out which way the flow of the fluid goes. There is no thermostat the tranny fluid always circulates through the filter. Time will tell if it is a good investment. My trailer is not very heavy but I do tow in mountainous areas frequently. I live in South Florida, no snow here.
    Bob
    S. Fl
    82 degrees now
  • loachloach Member Posts: 246
    I am considering purchasing a '01 Pathfinder SE and am concerned about the step bars. They look nice, but I don't think they're necessary and will probably just get in the way and get pant legs dirty. What do owners think about their step bars? Are they useful or annoying? Can they be removed easily if I don't want them? Or would the SE look stupid without them? Opinions wanted! Thanks.
    Update on engine oil filters please see post #46 in Care & Maintence.
    I hope this helps? Steve
    nismofreak: I would but I just changed diff gear lube!
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey, just starting to look at the 2001 PF LE & I have a few questions...
    1) Anyone know how long the 3.9% financing will last.
    2) For anyone who has the nav system, are you happy with it? I'm considering it but it looks like my city is not covered as a detailed area. Would it still be useful? Also, how much are the CDs & updates once you've purchased a CD? Finally, do you lose any features on the dash with the nav system moving things around a bit.
    3) Does the towing package add anything such as engine oil or transmission fluid coolers, or just the hitch?

Thanks for your help...
    I don't know about the financing but the engine does have an water to oil
    cooler and trans cooler. The towing package is just a hitch and harness.
    When the Nav system is installed, they pull the in-dash 6 disc changer, drop the bose head unit and put the Nav screen where the head unit and climate control system was. In lieu of the in-dash changer, they put a regular (magazine type) 6-disc changer in the back passenger side compartment. I was on the fence about the Nav system...$2000? What? A Rand-McNally is about $15 for the love of Pete! But the GPS (where the hell am I?) combined with a more reliable CD changer made up my mind.

I don't even have my Pathfinder yet and have already ordered an additional area on CD. A single CD is $120 and a "subscription" is $180. I guess that gets you the next update when it's available. There are 9 CDs total to cover the entire US of A! Happy orienteering!

Captain Ron. . .
  • mustang5omustang5o Member Posts: 4
    Bob,

I have been looking to buy a pathfinder LE but concerned of the suspension rubbing the tires. I tow a travel trailer with 450 tongue weight. I was wondering if you have a 4X4 or a 4X2. I'm questioning because I am assuming a 4X4 will have a higher clearance between the tire and the body? Also, someone mentioned in the earlier post that an airspring will affect the braking mechanism of the path, and as a result reduces braking distance. In your experience, do you notice any difference? Thanks in advance for your help.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    The step bars on our '01 SE occasionally get dirt etc. on the back of your pants, but not often. I'm 6 ft and get in very eadily w/o using them. Maybe I'm used to making sure to stay clear of them now, but it only happens maybe 1 in 20 times, if that frequently.

In terms of removing them, I thought about that, but decided against it. They make a big difference on how much snow/ice/mud from get on the lower panels of the front and rear doors, and I got used to them very easily and quickly.

They are nice to knock the crud and snw off your shoes once you are already sitting in the seat though. :-)

gritz
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I have a 2001 LE. At first I thought they were unnessesary, but I've found them to really help out when tying anything on the roof rack or washing the vehicle. I just step up on the bar and you have full access to the roof top. I use to have to get a small step latter or open the doors and step on the door sills to acheive this procedure with my 98 Grandcherokee, but not with the PF. As far as getting into the vehicle, I don't need them. I do like the way they look. so they will stay on.
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    The SE bars are round (nurf bars), and only have "step positions" in two places (at least in Canada). I liked the LE "running boards" better. They protect the side panels a little better, provide a step for washing, and make good places to bash crud (tech. term) off shoes when getting in, all as others have mentioned. When I was considering getting an SE the dealer was willing to swap the round bars for the LE running boards. I wanted leather, however, and in Canada to get leather I had to get an LE.
  • jackw47jackw47 Member Posts: 1
    Just saw your message 1411 about your new Pathfinder and am very interested in the deal you got and your spreadsheet. Could you please email me with info on how to contact the dealer? Thanks, Jack at jrwal@aol.com
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    pathstar:
    Your dealer told you wrong about leather not being available on the SE. It definately is. In both the US and in Canada. You do have to get the automatic transmission to get leather however.

On the LE leather is optional in the US, but is standard in Canada.

-Jon
    From my observation and also Nissan sales personel, It's extremely hard to get an SE with leather option (special order) I know it's an option on the LE, but try and find an LE without leather...next to imposssible. When I purchased my LE, I had a selection of over 30 LE's and all had leather not one with cloth. All of the SE's had cloth, none with leather. These were So. California dealers, it may be different else where in the U.S.
  • draytm01draytm01 Member Posts: 19
    Max,

I have a '01 LE 4x4 (purchased in April '00) with the Nissan tow package. I tow a 4800lb - 23' fishing boat about 10x a year. The tounge weight is appoximately 480lbs. I have never had any problems with the tires touching the wheel wells. Granted the wheels are close to touching and I conidered doing the airsprings and aux tranny cooler, but decided against it as the vehicle does well for the little bit of towing I do.

I was suprised by the post above, where someone is claiming that Nissan has aux coolers for oil, tranny or something like that. Nissan sure didn't in August '00 when I called their headquarters. I also checked at my local dealer and they knew even less. In fact the Nissan dealer couldn't even order me a "factory" oil or tranny cooler. Maybe Nissan changed, but I doubt it.

As for the running boards --- they are great to clean the vehicle. The Nissan hitch also has a useful step to clean the back of the PF.

As for leather. I have it and don't care to much for Nissan's choice of leather. I would have been better off doing it aftermarket.

Just my $.02.
  • dennis1950dennis1950 Member Posts: 33
    As others have responded, there are a lot of advantages to the step bar. Here's another that has not been mentioned - if you mount a ski rack, the step bar is the only way to mount and dismount your skies- unless you are 7 ft tall.
  • loachloach Member Posts: 246
    I posted this message in the "can't decide which SUV to buy" forum and didn't get much response, so I figured I'd go right to the owners for comments. I'm sure most of you in this forum will be biased toward the Pathy, and that's fine. I'd like to hear your comments about my dilemma:

I've been shopping mid-size SUV's for the past 6 months. I'm in a position now financially where I can make my move, but the title of this topic fits my situation pretty well. I've driven the Tribute, Escape, Santa Fe, Pathfinder, Grand Cherokee, Rodeo, and Highlander. I was impressed with all of these vehicles to one degree or another, but without going into all the details about why, I've pretty much narrowed the field to the Pathfinder SE and Grand Cherokee Laredo. I'll admit right off that after driving both this weekend, I think like the Grand Cherokee better, but my practical side tells me to go with the Pathfinder. Pricing's not much of a factor if I decide to go w/the V8 GC. The 1.9% financing on the GC brings the payments right in line with the 3.9% on the PF. I feel the GC is a more comfortable vehicle for me, and I'm used to Chrysler products. The little things like the tilt steering wheel control, longer armrest console cover, no step bar to get my pant legs dirty, etc. fall in the GC column. However, the 1999 reliability problems of the GC scare the hell out of me, and the crash test results seem to favor the PF as well. Surprisingly, I thought the Grand Cherokee rode smoother and handled better, despite the solid axles front and back. I'm looking for comments from other Edmundites - do I go with what I think I want and hope the reliability has improved enough since the '99 debacle, or do I go with my practical side and sleep well at night with a Pathfinder in the garage?
  • tofunricetofunrice Member Posts: 20
    Hi Loach... I am not here to persuade you to purchase either of the two vehicles, but here are some information I have to offer...

I purchased my brand new 2001 Pathfinder LE 4x4 back on February 28th (SuperBowl Sunday!) and in less than one month, have put over 3,600 miles on it. The car performs flawlessly and it has yet to disappoint me. I am no expert, but the Pathfinder handles wonderfully. I am an aggressive driver and this car sticks to the road no matter how hard I push it in corners.

Both of my sisters own Cherokee's... One owns a 2000 Cherokee Laredo 4x2 while my other sister owns a 2001 Grand Cherokee V8 4x4 which she has had for 3 months and has 5000 miles on. Both are experiencing following problems:

1. The steering wheel makes a loud "honk" noise occasionly when it is rotated more than a half turn. Chrysler says that this is a known problem and is looking into a solution.

2. The car tends to pull to the right, even after a wheel alignment was performed by the dealer. They are still investigating this problem.

On the 1999 Cherokee 4x2:

3. The rear passenger side tire continually loses air from the tire over a period of time. My sister brought the car into the dealer and the dealer determined that there is a defect in the wheels and replaced the wheel and tire. The problem continues to persist and is working with the dealer to correct the problem.

On the 2001 Grand Cherokee V8 4x4

1. When my sister brakes, the steering wheel vibrates horribly. This problem just surfaced last month and when she brought it to the dealer, the dealer told my sister "this is the result of your driving habits"! My sister was extremely upset with the dealer and lashed at him and told her that she has owned several cars in the past and has never had this problem! I suspect the rotors need to be resurfaced but at only 5K miles!

2. Check engine light has turned on then off on several occasions without cause.

3. I have had the opportunity to borrow the Cherokee for a trip to Tahoe last month and while I was at a store parking lot trying to park, I tried to reverse but when I pressed on the accelerator, nothing happened! The engine did not respond as I pressed the gas pedal. I moved the transmission to neutral, then back to reverse and nothing happened! The engine was still idle despite the fact that I was pressing on the gas pedal. I then moved the transmission to Drive and the same result. THE TRANSMISSION BASICALLY DIED ON ME!!! I ended up turning the engine off then starting the car back up before I could move the car!

While I agree with you that the Cherokee offers a smoother ride, I feel the reliability of this car is not worth the trouble! My sister who owns the 2001 is extremely upset that none of her problems have been solved or handled appropriately by the dealer. She just began checking out message boards and have found out that these problems are not isolated to her Cherokee! I don't want to take up more space, but I think you get the point. Good day!
    Steve,
    Please tell me that in the tech manual that it clearly states that these two coolers exist. Not that I doubt you (manufactures including Nissan are known to do such things) but when you posted that I became rather excited because I too am looking to slap on a tranny cooler before I start towing this season.

Can someone with a tech manual confirm this?

thanks,
    nismofreak
    I'm a former Jeep GrandCherokee owner, I can tell you that now that in my opinion, the PF is a much better SUV. Build quality is much better, the engine is much quiter and smoother running. PF's Monoframe construction is more rigid (more resistant to twisting and bending). PF's double overhead cam (DOHC) design operates more efficiently than the dated overhead (OHV) pushrod 6 or the single overhead cam (SOHC) V8. My Jeep was a lot of headaches. It had only 44,000 when I traded it for the PF, the A/C compressor was replaced ($760) waterpump ($269) transfer case seals ($200-420) three different times and it was still leaking fluid at time of trade in. During 3 years of ownership, it was in the shop for 21 full days for either a repair or diagnosis. The power windows occasionlly would not operate unless I turned the engine off and back on again...Chrysler could never resolve this problem. There's more but I really don't want to goe through the whole list. I will never, ever buy another domestic product again, especially a Chyrsler product. I bought it purely for it's looks and what I thought was a good vehicle, a big mistake that was. You've driven both vehicles?? I really find it hard to believe your having a hard decision between the two. In my opinion, it's a no-brainer. Save yourself the headaches and buy a more reliable vehicle...trust me.
    Loach,
    I'm sure you'll get an earfull, but...hey, isn't that what these "exchange of ideas" forums are for? I have been drooling over a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for the last 18 months (Hey, somebody wipe that up!). My reasons for wanting one were basically the design (great looking vehicle) and the off-road capabilities. They wrote the book, right? I read all the test drive reviews I could and was getting closer and closer to buying a 2000 model in late 1999. I then test drove one here in Los Angeles and noticed an excessive amount of tranny/transfer case noise. I drove another and the same thing. The third one sounded nice and quiet leading me to believe that there was something horribly wrong with the first two and it wasn't just "normal" like a service manager would tell you AFTER you bought the thing.

I then got on all the owner's forums I could and researched the JGC. There are several WELL documented issues with this vehicle. Brake shimmy...this is warped rotors and yes...most start at 5,000 miles. Stalling...no one's got a lock on this one, but many horror stories about "I'm on my fifth fuel pump" going around. Tranny/transfer case whine. Differential (front and rear) clunks, pops and binds. I even read one guy who said, "Now that they've replaced the third rear axle, all the noises are gone. I love my Grand Cherokee!" Um, what? I waited for the 2000 reviews and the same thing. I waited for the 2001 reviews and more of the same. I'm done. I wasn't about to roll the dice and see if I got a good one or not. I scratched the JGC off my want list. I wept. Then I drove a Pathfinder.

I then did all the digging I could on the Pathfinder and found exactly the opposite. Nothing but praise for build quality, lack of noise, no "niggly" little problems, etc...And this covered all the Pathfinder years. Some of the older one's had an exhaust manifold problem, but was fixed by Nissan. At this point, the Pathfinder's on the top of every magazine's list for best mid-sized SUV. I pulled the trigger on the purchase of a 2001 Pathfinder LE 4X4 leather, Nav, Tow...All but the entertainment system and pick it up next week. Do your own research so you feel comfortable...I imagine you'll come around to our way of thinking... : ) We will assimilate you... : )

Thanks for listening!

Captain Ron