Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• tofunricetofunrice Member Posts: 20
    Hi guys... This is a dumb question... but I am a bit confused about this All Mode 4 Wheel Drive system on my Pathfinder...

It's been raining pretty hard in San Francisco the past few days where the streets are saturdated with water and I usually keep my pathfinder on AUTO... Many cars have been spinning out of control due to the water and was wondering if I am safe in Auto Mode.. or should I change it to 4Hi where all four wheels have traction. Would it be detrimental to be on 4Hi on wet, hard pavement?

My concern is that in AUTO, the car is pretty much in REAR wheel drive unless it loses traction to the front wheel... but I am afraid that the system may not be quick enough to engage the front two wheels in the event that I begin to slip! Any suggetions/recommendations would be great! Thanks guys!
  • stvchangstvchang Member Posts: 10
    Hey lrichards,
    That sounds like a great deal for the auto 4x4 SE w/ moonroof. Does that price include tax? Also, do you know any of the specific numbers like cap cost, mf, residual? Finally, do you mind sharing the name of the dealership you were quoted this deal from? Sorry for the deluge of questions but I'm in the market for the same model. Thanks.

Steve
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    You should leave it in Auto mode. Slow down to a speed more suitable for the conditions and you should be fine. 4WD Hi mode locks the centre differential and even on wet pavement, there will be binding if you try to turn. Using this mode on anything but loose surfaces will cause damage to the system.

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    Drew... Thanks for the info...

Also, what exactly is "binding"?

And if you could clarify something, it would be great. My girlfriend and I have this disagreement and hope you all could settle it. I like to keep the Pathfinder in AUTO mode at all times. She prefers to keep it in 2WD and swich it to AUTO only in certain conditions. Our disagreement is with fuel economy. She contends that I should not keep it in AUTO because it uses more gas. Is her belief true?

Also, is there any wear and tear associated with leaving the Pathfinder in AUTO at all times? Or should I just keep it in 2wd at all times until I hit rain/snow, etc?

Thanks in advance!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm not sure relationship counseling is in Drew's job description:-). Remember it's sometimes "wrong" to be "right" (can you tell I'm happily married).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • lrichardslrichards Member Posts: 18
    Hi stvchang,
    As far as I know that does include tax. I will be talking to the dealer again soon and I will get you all of the particulars. I will also see how long that price is good for.
    Let me know how you are doing. I'm still looking into a couple of more dealers.
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    To experience the "binding" put the vehicle in 4Hi in a large parking lot (mall or such). You will find it will not turn sharply (unless you apply lots of power and actually skid a tire or two). When you turn, the front travels farther than the rear, but when in 4Hi or 4Low the front and rear are locked together by the gears. This means when turning you have to skid a tire or two. You will not harm anything doing this at low speeds (below 20 MPH). At higher speeds, the power being transmitted to the ground is high enough to cause high wear on the gears (and tires). With loose surfaces (gravel, dirt, or sand) the tires are always slipping a bit anyway so it's safe for the parts. This is also why it's very important to make sure all four tires are inflated equally, as they change diameter a bit with inflation. This means they turn at different rates, which will cause the binding as well.

As far as using more gas in AUTO mode, I thought I saw this last year in mine (2001 LE). It makes sense it should use a bit more gas. I have to confirm this, but my readings showed around 5% (close to normal variations, which is why I'm not yet sure it's real).
    Thanks Pathstar for the clarification!

Do you keep your Pathfinder in AUTO all the time or do you keep it in 2WD until the conditions warrant AUTO or 4Hi?

Thanks!
    I live in Edmonton, Alberta (read 6 months of winter - not a lot of snow, but usually cold - and lots of sand, ice, and gravel on the roads). I leave it in AUTO all winter. The rest of the year it's in 2WD (unless I'm "off road"). I wouldn't think it would be necessary on wet roads, but it could help in rare circumstances (mainly works on acceleration, not in skids). It would not be much of a help if you hydro-plane, as that usually affects the front first, and the AUTO system detects rear wheel slipage to engage - too late for hydro-planing.
  • qx4qx4 Member Posts: 99
    if its 100% dry
    a patch of snow here and there
    but say no slipping (no engagement of the front wheels)

would it spend more gas?

basically if its on AUTO mode all winter long on dry wet and snow. its logical that it would consume more gas, but i will consider it worth it since its spending more gas for a reason. but on dry times?
    No, it doesn't appear that auto mode uses more gas at all. If there's no rear wheel slippage, the front wheels will not activate. On slippery surfaces (rain/snow) when the front wheels do kick in, fuel economy may drop, depending on how much slippage - and hence power transfer to the front wheels - there is, but that's when you want the auto 4WD system to work anyway! To help you out in slippery conditions!

Personally, I would leave it in auto 4WD mode even if it's dry since it could help to improve vehicle handling/stability in an emergency maneuver. Only if the road is completely snow covered would I place it in 4WD High mode, remembering, of course, to switch it back to auto mode when the road surface is clear.

Drew
    Host
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Do you mean to say your brother swears AT or By His JGC. Most these days are swearing at those vehicles. My partner, a lifelong jeeper, is swearing at his after his 4th rear seal in 12k miles 2000 JGC laredo 4x4.
    I also don't understand the worry about salt and a spare under the car. It is replaceable if rusts, will likely never be used, and is much cheaper than repair of underbody rust. To me it seems like a protective accent. Also it is a hell of a lot easier to get into the cargo area if you don't have to swing a spare tire out of the way (you will acces the cargo area a lot more than you will use your spare). It could be even worse as in my partners 95 JGC limited it is in the cargo area and greatly limits space.
    And on a final note. Since when have you listened to what your brother says? ;)
  • zemroczemroc Member Posts: 4
    Quick story: "check engine" light comes on, Shop said it needed new injectors because they were leaking gas in the engine, so replaced them at $1200 for the job. NOW the pathfinder sort of "tugs", or "slightly coughs" or "is missing" at almost every stop light/sign, about every 4 seconds. The repair shop can't figure out what the problem is!! It NEVER did it before they replaced the injectors. Does ANYONE know what the problem could be? They've already kept the car for one day, now I have to bring it back tomorrow. Has this happened to anyone? It's really irritating.
  • majorwoodymajorwoody Member Posts: 4
    Hi Folks,

I live in the State of Washington and just bought an SE Pathy last week. It didn't come with undercoat. Is it worth getting it? We get occasional snow and 9 mos. of rain. Also, any of you guys that installed the factory grille guard, is it truly a "no drill" installation?

Thanks!
  • fordnightmarefordnightmare Member Posts: 40
    Whoa...$1200 for 6 injectors!!! All 6 were bad??? Seems to me that they could have removed them all and had them cleaned and tested 1st. You may have only had one or two going bad to begin with (if that). Did they give you the old ones back? I can see some labor involved, but the price seems sort of high. Although, I don't know what the going rate for Pathy injectors are running. Did they install aftermarket or OEM injectors?

As far as your problem. Maybe one of the "new" injectors is bad or has a poor seal. Either way, it sounds as if something is wrong with them. Like you said, your truck didn't do this prior to the repair. Just a note.. make sure you change your oil if your old injectors were indeed leaking. If they were leaking you will have gas in your oil.

Good luck

Drew
    Host
  • will555will555 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased 2001 SE, got a cherry deal, $200 under invoice and took advantage of the low money factor. Monday morning I got a call from my wife. She advised that she (in her usual Monday morning rush) went to warm up the Truck. Upon returning to the vehicle she noticed that all the doors were locked- and it was still idling/running. rushed home from work and unlocked the door w/ the remote. I couldn't believe a 2001 would not have a feature to prevent being locked out. Well it does have one (I ran thru some scenarios). If the truck's engine is running and the(driver's) door is opened, when you try to lock the doors the locks return to the unlocked position. I tried this scenario using the remote and the doors LOCKED w/ no confirmation (parking lights) flash. So, she must have inadvertanly depressed the remote's lock/secure button. I couldn't believe that a vehicle this new would not have the programming to disable the reception of signals from the remote when the engine/truck is running. My Acura doesn't respond to any commands from the remote when it's engine is on. Come on, Nissan, a remote (keyless entry) is for when you're away (remote) from the vehicle- once it's turned on there's no need for a keyless type of entry.
  • payorkpayork Member Posts: 5
    > Upon returning to the vehicle she noticed that
    >all the doors were locked- and it was still
    >idling/running. rushed home from work and >unlocked the door w/ the remote. I couldn't

I know what thats like. After locking myself out of my '96 I had to have my wife come back from her way to work with the spare key. My first day with it, I started it with the key, locked the doors and discovered the remote does not open the doors once its running (found out about this 'feature' after reading the manual later:-) Now I carry a second/spare key with my work keys on another key ring. Is there an easier way? How do others let their Pathfinders warm up (keep in mind I'm in MN!) and keep it locked?
  • mtt999mtt999 Member Posts: 15
    Crikey, have you had your cupped tires replacement by the dealer. My dealer ordered me the 4 replacement tires for the bridgestones Dueler due to cupped tires back in 10-24-00. I had my 01 PF bridgestone dueler tires replaced to Toyo yesterday. The service manager did confirm with me before ordering the Toyo tires instead of Michelins two weeks ago. I drove at various speed from (45-85mph)on I-75 for about 30 minutes yesterday. Good news, no shimmy, and I like it. What do you all think of Toyo tires as compare to other Dunlop, General, and etc...
  • lrichardslrichards Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the advice on the SE. And you're right...I've never listened to my brother, why start now? You sound like you know him :)
  • draytm01draytm01 Member Posts: 19
    3500 lbs is no problem for the PF with an auto tranny. Manual on the other hand, are only rated for 3500lbs.

I have pushed the 5k limit more than 10 times since April last year and had no problems. If you tow every week or more I would consider something a little heavier duty (Tahoe/Expedition/Sequoia). However, if your like me, towing only a handful of times each year the PF will suit you fine! I haven't added a thing to the vehicle and have had no sagging in the rear. It's '01, so time will tell if there are any long effects, but I think this vehicle will hold up.

As for heating up a car in winter, have you guys ever considered the remote starter (as long as you can remember to keep the heater on the night before). It keeps you car locked and warms it up. Sounds like an excellent option for you folks w/out garages.
  • inman01inman01 Member Posts: 9
    Hello all,
    As a former '94 path owner (gave it to my pop, so it it would stay in the family) I found myself needing a larger vehicle. Because of my cross country travels I bought a 2000 Tahoe (with much hesitation I might add). About a year ago I heard a rumor that Nissan was coming out with a full sized Path that would compete with the Tahoe's and Expedition's of the world. Aside from that little blurb about future production I have heard nothing. Does anyone out there have any new, reliable info on the new full sized path SUB?

thanks,

Bill
  • cardad1cardad1 Member Posts: 1
    We have a '98(SE) coming off lease shortly. It appears that the pricing between an SE (with SunRoof, no leather) is within $500+ difference from an LE. So, it would seem the LE is the logical choice. One dealer has told me that the SE's are currently being leased using a factor of .001550 and the LE at .002250. Is this true? Because another dealer quoted me both vehicles at the lower rate, which would appear to be a great deal. Anyone know for sure - I don't want to go for the LE and have Nissan credit kick it back because a dealer messed up.
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    Thought I'd try here since this seems to be the best place to get the straight answer about Pathys.
    Due to the cross threaded bolts from our oil change, I need to retap the bolt holes on the frame for the cover. Does the service manual get specific enough to tell you what size the bolts are in terms of thread diameter? I guess the bolt type might be enough to work with. I am calling the shop today but wanted to see what the service manual has listed.
    Thanks in advance.
    Dano
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    danog,
    I searched high and low in the shop manual and never did find a reference to that cover. Not even under the "how to change the oil" section. I guess you're down to removing one of the original bolts to check the size. From when I have changed my oil I seem to remember they are a 10mm head, but that won't help with thread diameter and pitch.
    -Jon
  • tony111tony111 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a Bronzed Gray LE (everything except Navigation, Entertainment and Tow Hitch) for under $31K. Just wondering if I got a good deal or not. In addition, how come the LE does not come with a power antenna? Edmunds or KBB lists this as standard equipment.
    We must like to torture ourselfs. "I just bought an XXX at $YYY. Did I get a good deal?" If you're happy, yes you did! Nothing personal to anyone in particular, as we are all doing this. I'm just amazed we do this to ourselfs!
    David (who probably paid too much but doesn't want to know)
  • mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    The Canadian PF comes with a power antenna standard. It's probably my biggest gripe with my USA PF...and I'm sure others will agree with me. It really doesn't bother me that much though.....not nearly as much I had thought before buying it anyway.

All the other good stuff on the PF make the lack of a power antenna a little easier to live with. It would have been nice though:)

Just called my local Nissan dealer to check on the status of my newly ordered cd changer (I was having the dreaded ERR 2 problem). It came in today (so they said?) and I'm getting it installed tomorrow afternoon. It took between 4 and 5 weeks for the changer to show up at my dealer......just in case anyone else is waiting on their cd changer, you can probably bet on it it taking at least 4 weeks or more to come in.

My PF is all dry now, the little bucket of Damp Rid worked pretty good...but I don't think it got very wet in the first place. Thanks again for those here on the board who mentioned this product.

Have a good week everyone!
  • duperduper Member Posts: 127
    It happened to me too on my '99 while the engine is idling. I got out of the truck, closed the door but didn't hear any "cluck" noise indicated the locks were engaged. I guessed I touched the lock button while stepping out. I had to wait 3 hours before my fiance' could get out of her work and bring the spare from home. Yes, The remote didn't work while the engine was running, had to use the key.
    Guess what the milage is for a '99 Pathfinder going 0 mph? About 2.5 gallons.
    Huge lesson learn, always use the key fob to lock the doors ever since. :)

Enjoy your truck...
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    You didn't say if you had a 4x2 or 4x4. Was that out the door price or purchase price? Don't you just love the color Bronzed Gray! My PF is the same color...it's one of the reason's why I choose the PF over the 4Runner...silly me.
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    To All: If you have to ask if you got a good price (after the fact), it really means you didn't do your homework before you bought. As David pointed, might as well relax and enjoy the ride now!

I still can't figure out why they stopped (that's right, stopped) using a power antenna on the USA PF (especially the LE). I loved that feature on my '97 PF SE w/BOSE.
  • captainroncaptainron Member Posts: 58
    Hi all,

Can anyone with the navigation system tell me what model Clarion CD changer is mounted in the back? I'm trying to buy additional magazines for my 4100 mile road trip! Many thanks!!!

Captain Ron (4 more days!)
    Thanks for your reply. You are correct about the 10mm bolts. I purchased a new set and will try to match one up with a tap and/or die to make sure I have the correct one. The shop I called will check for me and I should know in the morning. Now I know why they charge $115 bucks to handle this for owners. It is a pain to do things yourself but you can't be mad if you mess it up!!
    Again, thanks for taking the time to look it up.
  • winnyvwinnyv Member Posts: 30
    Am I missing something??? I just remove one bolt to drain my oil.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    You're missing the fact that an oil change involves changing the oil filter, which is behind a protective "skid plate". This carbon-fiber skid plate/splash guard must be removed to access the oil filter. There are at least 8 10mm bolts that must be removed to take off the guard.

I think the issue is that some of the bolt holes have been stripped or cross-threaded, and must be re-tapped...
  • npathfindernpathfinder Member Posts: 21
    Today was my first experince drive my new PF in 4-wheel drive. The truck was great in the snow, but when I went to turn of the vehicle it jumped forward? Is that normal? I tried it numerous times and it did it everytime. It only happens when I am in Auto for 4Wheel HI...If anybody has any feedback on this I would appreciate it.

Thanks
  • gtatlgtatl Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at used Pathfinders, and found a '97 LE 2wd, 70k for $14000. This sounds like a decent deal to me, but I'll be moving to Colorado in a few months and I'm wondering how effective the 2wd will be in snow. I'm not planning on doing much off-roading, but I'd like to be able to get around safely in snowy weather. Will the 2wd work well enough or should I look for a 4wd, with/without the lim. slip differential?

Also, are there any major problem areas with this model that I should check-out before I buy?

Thanks for the advice.

-R
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    danog: The 10mm bolts are 6mm x 1.0 (fine tread) 8mmx1.25 would be the next size. Drill and tap the damaged hole. Sears makes a small metric tap set . Always good to have around these days when everything is going metric. Bolts should be easy to find at any hardwear store. The numbers on the head = class of bolt a class of 8.8 will work very well. Steve
  • mrobinson3mrobinson3 Member Posts: 13
    What is up with the new Pathfinders? I would expect better fuel economy from Nissan, but I guess they no longer market their vehicles with fuel economy in mind.
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    mrobinson3: What fuel milage are you getting. We should get
    alittle better during the summer depends what part of the country
    you live. I think most are getting between 15 and 21 mpg.
    Cheers.......
  • kunzwerkskunzwerks Member Posts: 4
    Hello all.

Been lurking on this board for some time now. I find the discussions concerning PF maintenance and servicing terrific. Learning a lot.

I own a '97 QX4. Have had it for about 3 weeks now and wanted to know more about servicing issues, however the Infiniti board only seems to talk about vehicle pricing and dealer negoications. When I post a service related question there is no response. I not complaining, its just outside of the discussion topics that the Infiniti board seems to have an interest in. So I hope everyone doesn't feel I'm intruding in on your PF board. It's just more interesting here!

I response to npathfinder, the slight lurch you are experiencing when shutting off the engine while in Auto or 4WD is "normal". According to my Nissan/Infiniti dealer anyway. I had the same experience and inquired, with reassurances that all is well. However, I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation as to why this happens. Perhaps someone else here knows?
    about the fuel consumption
    the prev. pathfinders had gas milage as well...so its not just the new pathfinders.

but now you get way more power and torque out of it for the same amount of consumption (nissan claims at least). and i think its about right.

i read somewhere that the Jeep GC V8 has the gas consumption as the pathies. but the VQ (in pathfinders and QX4s) is one of the best engines you can buy. so its sort of worth it.
    first sentence in last message should read

about the fuel consumption
    the prev. pathfinders had BAD gas milage as well...so its not just the new pathfinders.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button that follows your message after you post it.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Steve,
    Thanks for the information. I thought it was either a 6mm or an 8mm. What I was going to attempt to do was simply clean up the thread pattern and us new 6mm bolts. I am not sure if I will need to go up in size and hope I don't. Since the thread on the bolts themselves were pretty bad I am hoping the threads in the holes are OK.
    Dano
  • markinctmarkinct Member Posts: 11
    Hi all:

I am a new buyer starting to look for a 4WD for winters in New England. I HAVE STICKER SHOCK at the prices of medium sized SUVs. All I am looking for is something good in winter weather in Connecticut, something that has good cargo space (do not need a lot ... just enough to move the occasional piece of furniture, etc).

TheHyundai Santa Fe seems like a terrific deal and has a terrific warranty. Looked at a 97 QX4 w/35000 miles on it for the same price as a top of line Hyundai w/ leather,heated seats, etc.

I am really torn here .... did any posters here compare the Nissan PF to the Santa Fe? How cheap can you get a PF ... I guess I would be willing to pay $2K more for it ... but not $10K vs. the Santa Fe.

What's a reasonable deal for two PF (my twin brother will be buying one concurrently). No trade-ins. Clean deal.

Thanks all....Now I am off to shovel!
    I've posted on this before. Mine has done this from day one, in any mode. Try this: put the vehicle in drive or reverse and move it say 10 ft., apply parking brake, put vehicle in park. Let it idle, and about 5-10 secs. later the vehicle will "lurch" in the direction of the last gear you were in. Without the parking brake applied it will move about 2-3 cm (an inch or so). At least, this is what mine does! As usual, the dealer just shrugs sholders and says they'll watch for a TSB.

The undertray is fibreglass. I'm building a skidplate of 1/8" aluminum (I'd prefer thicker but it's what I have), this spring to replace it, held on by the four large bolts that hold the "belt protector" (the one made with tubing and designed to crimple in a collision - see the scores on the flattened ends). Then I'll only have four bolts to remove to get at the filter.
  • johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    what i recall from previous posts as an explanation of the lurching: the 4wd is disengaging. i don't know the specifics of it though.

kj
  • bobinsoflabobinsofla Member Posts: 16
    Hello Gang,

Would like to know if anyone out there has experienced a "roaring" noise from their side window(s) at highway (above 70mph) speeds? My 01 pathfinder has been producing this noise from day 1 of ownership. It is only a problem with the drivers side window. The noise can be stopped by applying significant pressure with hand or elbow to the window.

My dealership has informed me that a search they performed on the service bulletin data base turned up a similar problem with a fix being new weatherstripping that is on backorder. Anybody out there shariing a simialr experience and if so was it fixed?, with new weatherstripping?

Thanks,
    Bob

p.s. I will be happy to share my documented chronic problems (alignment, dash rattles, side mirrors, etc) experienced in less than a one year of ownership if anyone needs to discuss/vent....Somehow I still like the damn thing, I guess it's all the power.
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    markinct,
    If considering the Santa Fe you should look at last month's Car and Driver. They did an 8-way comparison of all the "small" (their term) SUVs out there including the Santa Fe. I believe it came out mid-pack, but the comments are always more helpful than the overall rating. Note here or email me if you need a copy or want comments from it - mine's at home. Also I'm spending the evening at the Minneapolis Auto Show and will again take at look at it.

The Pathfinder is considered to be "mid-size". I happen to like the little bit bigger size for hauling stuff (but it's not too big). And especially the 240hp power.

You asked about price. If you are considering the Path and live in Conn, you should be looking at buying in Canada, probably Toronto. A Path SE with auto trans, AWD, sunroof pkg will run about $25,500. Puts it down much closer to the Santa Fe price. A couple dozen of us have gone to Canada to save. See post #2 above for some info. Email me and I can give you more info and contacts.
    -Jon
    jonlofquist@aol.com