Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• buddy28buddy28 Member Posts: 1
    I just started looking at some of the "experts" reviews of the 2001 PF and it seems about the only negative thing some have to say is that the back seat area is cramped and entry can be a little difficult. Anyone find that to be true?
  • terrahawkterrahawk Member Posts: 10
    Sorry, no you cannot obtain 3.9% or any other type of financing in Canada. You have to be a resident (actually paying taxes in Canada) of Canada for this. So... you need to pay cash or obtain financing through your bank or credit union, etc. here in the U.S. first.
    Peter
  • kevinm6kevinm6 Member Posts: 3
    The fuel gauge on my 2001 PF SE apparently has a bad calibration. Starting from Full, it read 3/4 after driving 40 miles and read 1/2 after about 90 miles. I know the mileage isn't great but it can't be that bad! When I filled it at 1/4, it only took 12 gallons. Anyone else with this problem?
  • duperduper Member Posts: 127
    kevinm6,

Mine 99 SE had the same problem. There's a TSB on this as well. Took it back to the dealer with the TSB print out, it turned out to be a faulty sensor. The part was pretty cheap and got replaced promptly. You should take yours in and replace it for free
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    buddy28 Mar 20, 2001 9:00pm

It's cramped, and because of how the door is designed around the wheel well, entry is not particulary easy. I never liked sitting in the rear seat for any extended periods of time.

I will say that if you get a new LE(?) with the reclining rear seats, it's a lot better.
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    I agree are cramped and tight entry. Kids have no problem, but my 6-3 partner sat back there recently and had to recline the seat for head room. Short trips only for adults I would recommend.
  • zagm1zagm1 Member Posts: 4
    With all the comments about the deal's people have been getting, I figured I'd add my story. We shopped at various dealers for the 2001 SE 4X4 and got the best price through the Costco Auto Program (available to Costco members). We were able to purchase our PF in Bronzed Gray for $27,581. That included floor mats, in-cabin micro filter, and body side molding. Price included all destination charges. I just added sales tax and DMV registration. We were able to get it for $720 below invoice because the dealer was willing to dip into his hold back. I highly recommend Costco. It's free (to Costco warehouse members) and easy.
  • oakley5oakley5 Member Posts: 8
    Hi: has anyone purchase from NISSANPARTSUSA.COM that can share their experience?
    I submitted a purchase five days ago for two items. First of of all, I didn't get an order number when I submitted the purchase order. also haven't yet received an acknowledgment from them even after sending two emails from their site. My credit card only has the pending authorization for now. Is this the way they do business on this site? I haven't been able to find a phone number on their web site, does anyboby have a phone number for them?
    Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
  • tofunricetofunrice Member Posts: 20
    I own a 2001 PFinder and was also looking into getting the Mobile Entertainment Center installed... Since Nissan's web site didn't have much info on the the system, I checked out Infiniti's web site and it has some info for the QX4's mobile entertainment system. Anyhow... I e-mailed questions@infiniti.com about the system and the rep indicated that the system is a factory installed item contrary to what I have seen/read elsewhere.

I went to my local Nissan dealership this past weekend and spoke to the sales rep who sold me my PFinder and he said that the mobile entertainment system could be installed by them at the dealer. He said that the 2001 PFinder's are pre-wired and ready for the Mobile Entertainments system!

He said that the unit costs about 1200... but it would cost about 600 for labor to install! I would love to get one... but that's too pricey!

There was an earlier post who mentioned that they were able to get it for $900! If anyone knows where that deal is... please pass it on!
  • loboyloboy Member Posts: 75
    I also ordered some accessories through nissanpartsusa back in December. Pretty much had the same experience as you did. I had a lot of problem with the rear wind deflector (took 3 shipments to get all the parts in). They never kept me informed of my order and had to cancel one item (I was refunded promptly though). If I recall, they operate out of Massachusetts (Dartmouth Nissan I think-at least thats what the packing slip says). Here's their web page: www.dartmouthnissan.com.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You could try also try a whois search on their domain name for some clues.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • selight2selight2 Member Posts: 9
    I think you got a great deal on the 2001 SE from Costco. I am about to purchase the same vehicle through Nissan's VPP progam with large corporations:

2001 SE 4X4
    Auto, Mats, Bodyside molding, Microfilter
    $27,356 - Includes $500 cash back, Marketing Assessment, Delivery, and 3.9% financing.
    Just have to add tax and tags.

Everyone should ask their dealerships about the Nissan North America Inc. VPP program. Supposedly it is 4.5% below invoice but they then tack on several fees that may or may not be negotiable. Not sure what the VPP acronym represents but the program could save you a few $$$'s.
  • nsartornsartor Member Posts: 2
    I agree, they are cramped. After riding around all day my back was completely out.it was at that point that I realized the seats recline! DOH
    (97SE)
  • toneloctoneloc Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased (great deal by the way..thru Autobytel.com..beat 3 dealers by a mile) a 2001 SE Pathfinder. My question is.... at 4 different Nissan dealers and where I purchased the car.. was told the SE used regular unleaded gas. Reading the owners manual I was a little perturbed to read that my engine requires 91 Octane NOT 87 as was recommended. I called my dealer who emphatically stated 87 was OK. He even knew what I was going to ask before I finished my question. He says every one asks. To definitely use regular unleaded. That 87 was just fine.
    But I called the 800 Nissan # and was told for optimum performance to use the 91 Octane for at least the 1st 5000 miles. I certainly don't want to screw up my new engine, but with the cost of gas I don't want to buy premium if not needed. Any feedback or advice will be very appreciated!!!
  • ross_oc_bosross_oc_bos Member Posts: 2
    '01 PF LE loaded except for nav & entr., $31,783.
    What do you guys think?? also if anyone wants a 96 2500 GMC truck lemme know, damn dealer wouldn't take it, he thinks a 2 wheel drive truck with 99,000 miles is to hard to sell.....go figure -).
    Thx for any input and great forum
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Check out the FAQ in the PF Owners Forum. I think you'll get some good info regarding the octane issue.
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    toneloc: There has been a tremendous amount of discussion on this subject. Nobody can tell you what to use. It depends your driving habits,quality of fuel in your area and what you want to pay.
    Steve
  • jambazijambazi Member Posts: 51
    phil47, thanks for that endorsement of the FAQ! It's good to know that somebody out there is reading it.

I hope that it's done the job of minimizing repetitive questions on this discussion board, but sometimes people make their way to the Main Comment Area from the SUV board without going into the Pathfinder Owners area and so they don't see the separate FAQ discussion.

At any rate, the latest addition to the FAQ is from the "Should I buy a Highlander?" thread, which I found pretty interesting.

As usual, if anybody out there has a suggestion for FAQ additions (or deletions), or whatever, please e-mail me!

Happy Pathfinding,

-- Howie
  • pathfinder14pathfinder14 Member Posts: 12
    Hi, I posted a message couple of days ago but had no answer from anyone. My new pathfinder when driven between 56 and 60 mph I notice the wheels making a "woo-woo" noise. I checked the tire pressure and it was right on the dot. I checked if this happens on 2WD and it does not. Is it because the 4 wheel drive is kicking in at that speed. The tires are from bridgestone dulers A/T 16 inch. This only happens on AUTO where the four wheels are working 50:50. Any ideas please share with me. Thank you.
  • mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    Thanks for the info. I wouldn't pay that much either! $600 is way too much to install anything, IMHO. It can't be that hard, at least not $600 worth----versus doing it yourself!!

There are better alternatives to finding an entertainment system for your PF....I'll try to dig up a few of the links I have saved on my computer at work tomorrow and report back if I can.

Mike
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    jambazi: Please update your FAQ's that our service manual does say to use unleaded
    gasoline with at least AKI 87 anti knock index (91 RON). Thanks.
  • jambazijambazi Member Posts: 51
    Steve,

You're absolutely right. The Service Manual does state: "Use unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI
    (Anti-Knock Index) number (research octane number 91)."

I have updated the FAQ accordingly.

Thanks for checking that!

--Howie
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    I suspect that the lack of response indicates that no other posters have experienced your problem. I don't think it is a tire issue as it would be present in both 2wd and AWD. I have the duelers, and they have served me well for 12k miles now. I would suspect the AWD system would more likely be the cause. Whether or not it is "abnormal" I can't say. I have the older 4x4 stick type PF. Maybe some of those with the AWD can post whether or not they have the same noise. Good luck.
  • path63path63 Member Posts: 8
    ross_oc_boos, you should be able to get a better price. I just purchased a loaded LE (w/o entertainment, navigation, or tow hitch) in New Jersey for 31200 + tax + registration fee. Good luck
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    "Octane Rating Tips

In most parts of North America, you should use unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (VQ35DE engine) or 87 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (VG33 engine). However, you may use unleaded gasoline with an octane rating as low as 85 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number in these high altitude areas [over 4,000 ft (1,219m) such as: Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming, ,northeasern Nevada, southern Idaho, western South Dakota, western Nebraska, and that part of Texas which is directly south of New Mexico.

Using unleaded gasoline with an octane rating lower than stated above can cause persistent heavy spark knock. (Spark knock is a metallic rapping noise.) If severe, this can lead to engine damage."

So-if you own the new 2001 240/250 hp 3.5L engine, you are supposed to use at least 91 AKI unless you live in one of the above listed areas. The 87 AKI number only applies to the old 3.3L engine.

We live in one of the areas able to use the lower grade gasoline (Denver). After running five or so tanks of 87AKI, I was getting worse mpg. I sat down and figured it out, and the mid-grade w/the decreased mpg was actually costing me a couple of pennies more per gallon when compared to the Premium with better milage.

-Brian
  • loboyloboy Member Posts: 75
    I have the AWD model and I don't recall hearing any "woo-woo" noise on mine. Does the noise appear on all road conditions? Where you on slippery roads such that the 4wd was kicking in? I don't mean to give you the 20 questions but just want to make sure we're on the same page.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the Auto Mode, split is still 0/100% (not 50/50) unless there is slippage on the rear axel. So if you're on dry pavement, you are still essentially on 2wd even with the Auto Mode on.
  • eagle30eagle30 Member Posts: 28
    I just seen on TV.. this morning that at But Nissan in Denver that they have the $1,000.00 rebate and 3.9% for I believe 50 months. This will go on until April. I am still in the saving mode, so cannot take advantage of the deal yet. I just hope when I ready there are some deals to be had. Time (I hope) is on my side. Thought I let you all know. If you are in the area, maybe this will help.
  • jci109jci109 Member Posts: 9
    Okay, I LOVE my Pathfinder LE 4x4!!! It's in Sahara Beige which was a nice change from the dark blue Exploder that we had before. We splurged and got the entertainment system and my son loves it (as do my husband and I during our travel to Tahoe so as to avoid the "are we there yet" issues). We did also get the permaplate applied to the interior/exterior. does anyone have any experience in cleaning a car with this already applied? Just wondering if we can only use the permaplate suggested cleaning products. Also, we would like to purchase one of those roof storage things and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to which one works best on the Pathfinder. Thanks for your help and really enjoy reading through past discussions. I am glad to see that so many other Pathfinder owners are as happy with their purchase as we are.
  • eagle30eagle30 Member Posts: 28
    Hey! Brian I believe you responded to my post about buying in Canada. Yes, I am considering flying to Canada when that time comes. I work within the airline industry, so getting there cheap is no problem. However I have really had some attractive offer here in Denver. When the day comes when I am ready, I will just have to do my homework with the numbers. I read the posting almost daily, even if someone get a super deal in Vermont, I may jump on a flight to Vermont and drive home with my new pathy. Make a long story short, due to my profession I can fly where the deal is.
    My 99 Se just reached the 40,000 milestone and still going good. The OEM Grandtrek tires hold up realy well, I think I can get another 10k+ out of them. Just oil changes every 3000 or 3200 miles and one major 30,000 checkup. Still going good.
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    eagle30,
    If you hop a flight to Canada head for Vancouver, Toronto, or Ottawa. That's where the best deals are. BTW, the US dollar hit yet another record high today against the Canadian dollar. Saw a couple quoted prices: LE AWD w/leath at $27,300. SE AWD auto w/sunroof at $24,900.
    Write if you want info.
    -Jon
    I ordered a few items from them; side windows, hood deflector and side mouldings. They never provided me with a Order Number. I had to email them everytime and asked for a UPS Tracking Number. They are slow on updating their system so they sent to my old address instead of the new one. Their shippingment range from 5 days to 2 weeks.
    Overall they are OK, but they have the worst web ordering system I've seen.

Good luck and have fun
  • beefchuckbeefchuck Member Posts: 5
    Sierra Silver 2001 Le. Just picked it up yesterday after almost no haggling with the dealer. I always think that it is important to post the prices that we are paying so that fellow weekend warriors may be prepared for negotiations. I got mine with all of the bells and whistles except for the Nav. system and 4X4. I live in Atlanta, Ga. and 4X4 has diminishing returns for us in the south. We have great weather. I got mine for $28,000 with the 3.9% financing. Canada has additional options like AWD and power antennae for a slightly cheaper price, but the financing just cannot be beat. Great deal for a Luxury SUV. I owe a lot to this forum and enjoy all of the useful tips everyone has to offer. I am now an official member of the best forum on this site. "Dogs like trucks"... -Chuck-GSU-ATL
  • usarmytttusarmyttt Member Posts: 21
    CRAZY QUESTION? WHAT IN THE WORLD DOES "OEM" STAND FOR?
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Original Equipment Manufacturer

Sometimes used to refer to "stock" factory-installed equipment.

Examples: Hitachi, who makes some ignition components, is an OEM to Nissan. So is KYB, who makes the MacPherson struts on the Pathfinder.
  • pathfinder14pathfinder14 Member Posts: 12
    hI, LOBOY I HEAR THE NOISE ON DIFFERENT PAVEMENT BUT ALL SHOULD BE THE SAME. IT WASN'T SLIPPERY AND IT WAS DRY. i HOPE THE NOISE GOES AWAY. wHY WOULD IT MAKE THAT NOISE . I THOUGHT THAT IT WOULD MAKE THAT NOISE ON 2WD ALSO. I WILL UPDATE YOU AND EVERYONE TO THIS...HOPEFULLY MINOR PROBLEM. MAYBE IT WAS JUST ME BUT MY WIFE HEARD IT TO.
  • shadowfxshadowfx Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem on my 2001 EL. Dealers being what they are, I'd like to have the service bulletin in hand when I go in. Where did you access it for printout? Thanks.
  • starcheckerstarchecker Member Posts: 28
    I also am in the airline industry and am very tempted to go to canada for the good deals. But I also live in Denver and am considering a PF now that they have the low financing. What deal did you get and which dealership was it at. We will probably go looking this weekend. I appreciate the input.
    Here's the TSB for the 99, but I think it'll also work for 2001.

Vehicle: 1999 NISSAN TRUCK PATHFINDER
    Bulletin Number: NTB99023
    Bulletin Date: 04/99

Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:INSTRUMENT PANEL:GAUGE:INDICATOR:GAS

Summary: INFORMATION REGARDING AN INACCURATE FUEL GUAGE. *TT

Please Note: Over 6000 TSB’s are issued annually by automobile manufacturers. Most TSBs are only applicable to a small number of cars within each model type.

On the receipt, they just described it as "Replace fuel level sending unit". Total cost, $24.

Good luck.
  • linleylinley Member Posts: 12
    Just bought burnt cherry 2001 SE pathfinder --leather--sunroof... for 27,900 @3.9% financing. Plus they gave me 4000. over payoff for my van which I took as cash to pay off some credit cards. I REALLY love it. I debated buying the LE but I like the look of the SE better. My sister just ordered the silver LE with leather and sunroof for the same price from the same dealer. (They offered 4000. off sticker for all models.) The only thing I miss is the wood grain interior.. Anyone seen how the after market kits look AND and they easy to install. VERY happy so far in Texas.
  • mosher1234mosher1234 Member Posts: 7
    Linley, a great site to order dash kits from is Autodash Emporium (www.autodash.com) They have many kits for the Pathfinder. All kits are easy to install. If you really want a true "factory" look, look at the MOLDED dash kits vs the FLAT. They also have great customer service! I ordered my last kit from them for my 1999 Pathfinder and when I traded it in the dealer set is was one of the nicest wood kits they had ever seen.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Has anyone noticed the amazing feature the PF has when going through a large puddle? The water splashes up, forward (!!!) and up onto the windshield! Is this common to SUV's? When on country roads with frequent depressions I found I had to keep my hand on the wiper switch to get visibility back.

I have to correct something I said a few weeks back re going up a snowy driveway...I THOUGHT I was in 4WD LO, but I was still in 4WD HI. Later, when checking the manual, I found that you had to stop and be in neutral before you could switch. Now I understand Drew's comments about LO and why you shouldn't use it in deep snow. It's way too low for that. Still learning how to use 4WD! Of course, now that winter's almost over, I probably won't use it again for a while (until I pull my boat up the ramp again!)

Tom
  • climber3climber3 Member Posts: 13
    Just took possession of my 2001 Pathfinder LE yesterday. I had asked Nissan of America about capacities of the automatic transmission (total and refill), differentials, and transfer case and I was referred to the owner's manual, which only gives the capacity for the engine oil. Can anyone with access to the service manual provide the capacities? Thanks.
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Howie has summarized the capacities for us in the FAQ at http://home.earthlink.net/~jambazi/Pathfinder_FAQ.htm.

You can also get there through the Edmunds Pathfinder Owner's Club by clicking on the link at the top of this page.

I also think they should have put them in the owner's manual. Another reason why I bought the shop manual CD-ROM.

-Jon
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    The ad I saw this morning was for Burt Nissan. I purchased our '01 SE last June at Empire Nissan in Lakewood. It's on Colefax just west of Kipling on the north side. My salesperson was Jason Speck. It went pretty smoothly. I paid $28,600 for the loaded SE 5-speed minus Leather & Tow. You should definatly be able to do better now w/incentives and such. They had only been on the lots for a few weeks when I bought last June.

Good Luck.
    Brian
    p.s. with the new engine I'm tempted to say
    "I-70 west...that's a flat road right?" Ha
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I ahve not purchased one but I was looking at Thule and Yakima Storage Boxes. I believe that some of them fit the PF quite nicely.
  • jci109jci109 Member Posts: 9
    Yes, we are thinking about the Yakima storage item. Any idea about the cost?

Also, is anybody familiar with permaplate? I have not seen any discussion about that. I am interested in getting some feedback on your experience and how to clean. It is suggested that we use the permaplate cleaning product, but wanted to know if we could really use something else.

Thanks,
    Jenn
  • txbluenotetxbluenote Member Posts: 1
    Saw your post about the price of your LE. I got a quote of $30427 on a 4x2, with leather, hitch, micro filter, floor mats, body side molding. Edmunds states invoice is $29,211. Should I expect the dealer to sell at invoice of $29,211?
    I am not aware of any special rebates or incentives in Texas.
    Thanks
    txbluenote
  • phantom5phantom5 Member Posts: 22
    If you re considering a pathfinder LE you might also want to look at a QX4. With the money factor rates being very low this would be a great time to lease an infiniti. I just leased a 01 QX4 (2wd)
    with the premium package and sunroof for $460/month(plus tax), 36 months with 15K miles, money factor was .001833 (4.4%). I placed $1895 total down ( would of been $1500 but I had three lease payments of $395 left on a 98 4runner and had to add one payment to the $1500 in order for infiniti to buyout my lease). If you have the extra cash and want real luxury the QX4 is the way to go.