Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    He replied to my fax via email.

He informed me that they wouldn't hold any vehicle for anybody, regardless of a deposit or not.
    I guess I can understand this though:(

So now it's either go ahead and purchase sight unseen (if this is the PF we want no matter what) or wait another few weeks and hope the prices stay down where they are now.

Difficult situation I guess......the only comfort is knowing that I'll have my Pathfinder, eventually! I just wanted to get the best deal ever, I'm not asking too much am i?

And before you jump me Jon, I know the best deal is in CANADA! Wish I could manage the time needed into my schedule during my window of purchase come January, but I can't. Guess I'll just go for the best US deal possible:)
  • bigb901bigb901 Member Posts: 1
    If anyone owns one of these how do you like it? Where did you order yours? Here is a site that I found that sells was wondering how it compares price wise.

http://www.rooftopcarriers.com/
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    I bought mine last year from Bryan Global Services (http://www.bryanglobalservices.com/luggagecarrier.html) which appears to be the same company as RooftopCarriers.com. Excellent and pleasant service.

As previously posted, I'm very pleased with mine. It takes no room when not in use. But it expands to 13 cu ft when needed. It's in the PF at all times in case I need it. Certainly more convenient than the rigid boxes.
  • gottriagottria Member Posts: 13
    Just wanted to drop a note to everyone thanking them for posting. This is my first posting but have read every post on the PF board on what to look for when purchasing the 01 PF. I purchased it for $31,350 including the leather, sunroof, microfilter, tow hitch, side moldings,and limited slip. Invoice from Edmunds was $31,896 so I think I did preaty good. And if not it's to late because it's in my driveway right now:) I got the Bronzed Gray
  • drkcgraydrkcgray Member Posts: 10
    I am going tomorrow to negotiate the sale of a pf le with leather and a mobile entertainment system. No dealer around here has one on the lot, so I'm ordering "sight unseen." I am wondering if anyone has the mobile entertainment system AND a sunroof. Do the two interfere with each other at all? Is the Screen comfortably visable to the rear seat passengers? In looking at one with a sunroof but no tv, it seems to me that the screen would have to be so far back to clear the sunroof that it would hardly be seen? I'm having to assume that's not true!?

ALSO... I've never ordered a vehicle before (I've always bought right from the lot) any suggestions. What have others been able to negotiate in terms of price for their LE with leather, mobile entertainment, sunroof,
    You SHOULD be able to get one at no more than invoice cost, or definitely within $500 of invoice anyway.

I almost purchased an LE w/ Ent System sight unseen this week, but I decided against it at the last moment. I have not seen A PF w/ the Ent. System first hand....only pictures on www.nissandriven.com

The price on this LE w/Ent System was $31,398 (which was somewhat below invoice), scroll up about 10 posts and you should see some more of my posts about my ordeal/situation.

Note: For those of you who might be following my purchase: CarMax appears to have sold the Pathfinder I wanted (Sierra Silver) on Saturday. It's not on their web site anymore anyway. I sure hope they get another one in the next 2 weeks! My wife is kinda depressed, she had her heart set on that PF I think. Hopefully we'll find another one out there somewhere.
  • drkcgraydrkcgray Member Posts: 10
    Yes, I did read about your ordeal. I was concerned that a large dealer like Carmax would not accept a credit card for the deposit. I thought that was really good advice, but now I'm concerned that the dealer here will not be likely to take a credit card either (especially if a place like CarMax won't). Why did you decide not to order? Would they allow you to complete the purchase after a satisfactory test drive?

Also, I did read about the LE w/ent system for 31,398 but then today saw where someone paid 31,350 with no ent system???????
    I thought for sure they would accept a credit card deposit also. But what I was told was that they would not hold any cars, no matter if somebody put money down or not. So, my offer of $1000 deposit to hold the vehicle for 2 weeks and then let me test-drive it when I arrived was moot point I guess. I think the main problem with my situation is that I'm a little too far away. I'm in Turkey, and I won't be back for another 2 weeks.

I guess I was just afraid to make the purchase on a vehicle I had never seen nor driven before. I'm sure it would have been fine and gone smoothly, I just couldn't do it is what it came down to I guess. That is alot of money to spend and then to "wish" for the best to happen. I want to see the process with my own eyes, I'll feel alot more comfortable I think, even if I pay a little more come Jaanuary.

I am willing to bet that if I would have wanted to hold the car for only a day or two versus the 2 weeks I needed, that they would have probably helped me out. But who knows, I'm sure other dealers would take credit card as down payment or deposit though..give them a call and tell them that it might make the difference on where you shop?

Where do you live? I started out by sending emails asking for price quotes from all the dealers around my purchase area. Some I have yet to hear from..but most of the others gave me pretty good quotes. You may give this a try. If you happen to live near a CarMax Nissan dealership..I'm sure some of the other dealers would match CarMax's price if you ask them.

Good luck...keep us informed! (Sorry so long!)
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Pathfinders can be found everywhere. You are better off negotiating when you arrive and drive. I'll bet the prices will still be good.
  • nismofreaknismofreak Member Posts: 120
    On my home from Halstead Pa last night, I had to drive through a snow storm. Luckily, there wasn't much snow on the ground to begin with but it was slick none the less. On Rt. 380 heading towards Mt. Pocono, the traffic was crawling at 45 mph. I figured now was as good a time to try out the 4x4 in the snow. She went into 4x4 mode with no hiccups and she immediately felt very stable (I have an open diff). I am not sure if the stability part was psychological or not but even with the high wind in the blinding snow, the Pathy felt very secure. As my GF commented to me, "I feel very safe traveling in this truck". I love my Nissan! :-)

I did travel to almost 60 mph in 4x4 mode but the truck didn't feel anyway unstable. I was traveling mostly straight so that would explain why I didn't feel any speed differential between the wheels. This was the first time I have every driven in the snow in a 4x4, much less a truck. No pucker factors! :-)

I am now awaiting my Michelin LTX's which are on back order from Tire Rack. :-\

"Trod Firm!"
  • q4meq4me Member Posts: 1
    I backed my Q into a pole last nite, looks like I'm looking at having to replace the entire bumper. cha-ching!
  • ickesickes Member Posts: 82
    I live in Minnesota and have a 2001 Pathfinder SE.
    Unfortunately, the truck takes a LONG time to
    warm up and never seems to put out a lot of heat on
    those cold winter days.

Is this a problem with the heater or do all
    Pathfinders have poor heaters/circulation systems?
    I don't know about the heating history on the Pathys but I would suggest checking that the is no air in the coolant system. Low heat is usually a tell-tale sign of that.

In 20 deg weather, my '01 SE has been heating quite nicely.

Good luck!
    Have you tried taking it off "Auto" feature? It may in some way (just a guess) impede the direct flow of heated air. We have had some 17 -20 degree F mornings and the PF heats well. It does take about 3 minutes to start blowing on the auto control setting.
    The only problem i saw withthte entertainment system is that the VCR is way in the back and you have to either buy the wireless headsets or play the audio through the stereo. I also considered it but after seeing that it would meen a quick stop to change or rewind the tape. And considering Barney tapes are only about half an hour long, although they feel like three, I would have to pull over several times. There are a lot of aftermarked ones out there that I'm looking at. The one I like is about the same price as the Nissan system except it mounts to the headrest posts.
  • macchi2macchi2 Member Posts: 4
    First time post for me but I really love this site. It has helped me immensely in purchasing my SE pathfinder for 800 below invoice.

I have some questions and comments:

Would like to know about after market entertainment systems (Gottria), how much? website addresses?

When I was looking for my sierra silver path, I had the worst time finding one but finally did.

Did Nissan not make enough of them or was there an unexpected demand for that color?

to MBUNTING: just keep on looking, I thought I wasn't going to be able to find one (almost gave up on that color) but I did and at a great price. Car sales are so bad these days that they are willing to negotiate!! Make sure to deal with the fleet manager and not the sales guys!

Thanks to everyone especially Jon Loquist for giving such great info and happy holidays!!
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    From first crank, to feeling warmth out the vents, our SE takes less than two minutes.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I know how anxiety can set in especially when you're really excited about buying a vehicle. But, it would be worth it to wait. You don't want to find yourself not liking a vehicle, that you already bought, because the test drive did not meet your expectations (Although, I'm sure the PF will meet your expectations). Competition in this SUV segment is really hot and I am certain that you will find a great deal once you get back. Consumers are holding back on big item purchases because, for one thing, it's Christmastime and another, consumer purchase has been held back somewhat. To give you an indication of lagging car sales, DaimlerChrysler is idling some plants due to high inventories. Once one of the big 3 starts with any indication of a slowdown, it seems that the others follow suit.

Be patient, young Jedi. The Force is strong with you...
  • loboyloboy Member Posts: 75
    Heat: My LE AWD heats up in about 2-3 minutes. Temperature has been in the high 20's overnight.

Recall: Anyone read about the recall in the QX4 forum recently? Is this in anyway related to the Pathfinder? Sounds serious especially if the dealers are asking people not to drive in.
    I mean Crikey!!!

I'll do my best to hold off:)

18 days until I go Pathfinder LE shopping!!!
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    I'm helping my cousin shop for a pathfinder 4wd (SE or LE) in the Reno, NV area. Need some prices of what you paid and the options that was included.

Thanks.
    Don't they use the same ignition components?

-------------------

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 00V410000
    Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:OTHER PART
    Manufacturer: NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC
    Mfg. Campaign #: 00V410000
    Year: 2001
    Make: INFINITI
    Model: QX4
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 9200
    Manufactured From: OCT 1999 To: MAR 2000
    Year of Recall: '00
    Type of Report: Vehicle
    Summary:

Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. These vehicles may have an ignition lock assembly with improperly seated key cylinder cap connector pins. Vibration can cause the connecting pins to loosen and/or fall out allowing the key cylinder cap to disengage from the key cylinder.

If this occurs, the steering wheel lock rod can move, which could lock the steering wheel, increasing the risk of a crash.

Dealers will inspect the ignition lock assembly and assemblies with loose or missing end cap connector pins will be replaced. A ring clip will be installed on all others to prevent loosening of the pins. Owner notification is expected to begin during December 2000. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Nissan at 1-800-647-7261. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
    Thanks Crikey for the quick post. The NHTSA website does not list the recall for the Pathfinder. I'll see if my local dealer has anything to say about this. If anyone has more info on post, please post.

Thanks,
    Don
    Just for clarification here: I have my '01 manual in front of me. The manual states that 91 AKi or high needs to be used in the VG35DE motor. A minimum of 87 AKI for the VG33E motor. The RON for 91 AKI is 96. Please do not confuse RON with AKI. AKI is what is used at the pumps. Nissan does warn its owners against using anything less than what is recommended. The only time Nissan states that something less than 91 AKI can be used in the motor is when the vehicle is being operated in altitudes higher than 4000 ft. (Page 10-5)

"Using unleaded gasoline with an octane rating lower than stated above can cause persistent, heavy spark knock. [deleted] If severe, this can lead to engine damage."

I only want Nissan owners to enjoy their vehicles and not damage them due to misuse. Besides, with premium only costing $1.62 for a gallon, what is the big deal?

cheers!
  • zamphirzamphir Member Posts: 12
    Here in New York gas is ~$1.83/gal. Actually, now that I'm thinking of it, it may be even more for the super unleaded (91 octane). Happy Holidays. BRING ON THE SNOW!
    I think that my PF would not be part of it, anyway. It was built in May 2000. The recall covered until March 2000.
    Here in the SE it is $1.35 a gallon. Maybe you guys should be looking for a home in my neighborhood :).
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    My 2001 Pathfinder EL has no problem warming up while using "auto" on the climate control, even last week at -30 C. It's blowing hot air after 3-4 blocks of travel. It does get rather fanatic about it though (full blow on fan). It sure is nice to have no cold air blowing (it doesn't turn on the fan until there is hot air to blow).
    I am across the river in NJ. I wish we has $1.35 but I can deal with $1.62 and have full serve. :-P
  • xplorer2xplorer2 Member Posts: 17
    I just filled up last night, it's still 1.76 here in NH/MA. I had a bad experience last night, the auto pump didn't shut off at the gas station, and it spilled about 2 gallons of gasoline, down the side of my '01 PF LE. I was so mad! Is there something I can do, so not to have the paint be damaged? not to mention I smelled like a gas pump!

Got my first speeding ticket today too, my luck is going down the tubes!
  • pathyenvypathyenvy Member Posts: 7
    You all don't know how good you have it. Here in the San Francisco area, the average price on premium is $2.05/gal.
  • SchwantjeSchwantje Member Posts: 3
    I think my previous post got lost. Anyways, does anyone have recommendations on where to purchase online custom seat covers for 2000 Pathfinders? Nissan doesn't make any, so I have to look elsewhere to keep my seats clean on skiing/camping excursions.

Thanks.
    sanandton, where in the southeast are you?
    I know I have it relatively good. But living in the NE isn't all that it is cracked up to be either. But at least my Pathy is giving me 17 mpg so I can't complain.

Hey, SF looked pretty nice to me when I was out there in October!
    in the Upstate of SC. Near Greenville. Gas taxes are not too bad here.
    It can be found for $1.29 a gallon premium if I want to drive 5 minutes out of my way.
    Now I am really jealous! $1.29 for Premium??!! Geez... pretty nice! Have any high-tech jobs down there? :-)
  • cwopetecwopete Member Posts: 22
    I've got a 1999.5 PF with 10K miles on it. Just finished a trip up and back the east coast; average was around 20 MPG. Now that we're into the 2001 year models, has anyone seen anything out there in the after market world that can improve the miserable gas mileage on the 1999.5 PF?
  • deecee3deecee3 Member Posts: 4
    Well, how's this? 69.9 Cents!!! Okay, it's a litre, and I"m up in Canada...so multiply that by about 4. Close to $2.80 per Gallon, but then that's like $1.00 American..hahaha..
    $1.29/gal for premium!? Wow, I can't even find anything below $1.80/gal and that's for "cheap cheap" gas. Around here (Pacific NW-Bothell), going rate is $1.95/gal. Enjoy your low rates guys, because its only going to get worse! :-(

cwopete: Isn't your PF EPA rated for 16/19 MPG city/hwy? I'll be jumping for joy if I can get 20 MPG (been averaging about 17 with about 70% hwy driving). I suppose you can add octane boosters to your gas but that's probably going to cost you more in the long run.
  • deecee3deecee3 Member Posts: 4
    Hello PF fans...seems like I'm a lonely Canadian posting up in this board. And it all seems like you're all saving a heck of money from buying Pathfinders from Canada! Anyways, I was wondering if there are Klondike & Chilkoot Edition Pathfinders in the US (made between 1996 & 1999) I'm looking for the carbon fiber dash kit that comes in them. I currently own a '99 SE model that does not have that. And I also checked out AutoStock.com and it seems they don't carry such an item as well. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Here is the one I was considering for the little one. Nice thig about this one is you can move it from car to car.
    http://www.videotraveler.com/
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    You're not the sole Canadian in this topic...I'm live in BC...but, I don't on a Pf. Phil (aka phil47) also posts on this board and I believe he resides in Alberta. No, the US market did not get the Klondike edition nor the Chilkoot edition Pfs. Afterall, both were Canadian gold rushes. You should be able to find the carbon fibre kit at various places online that sell wood trim kits. Try www.woodtrim.com

Good luck!
    Drew
    Edmunds.com Townhall co-host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories conferences
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    I did the complete conversion for the Canadian costs. Here in Alberta I'm getting premium for around $0.75 per litre. That works out to US $1.86 per gal. So we're finally getting gas at comparable prices! To improve your mileage, about the only thing you can do (besides driving more slowly ;-) is get a K&N air filter. It should result in 5-10% improvement. Too early to tell for me so far - just put it in last month.
  • lspanglerlspangler Member Posts: 102
    I just picked up an '01 SE with the manual transmission, what kind of mileage should I expext out of the manual?

Also, has anybody noticed a difference between running premium or regular gasoline? Premium is required for maximum performance, but if I'm going to burn a tank of gas on the freeway with the cruise set, I can't say as I'm to interested in performance at that time. I figure I'll run a mix of 87, 89 or occasionally 93 in the winter, then maybe spend some more on premium when it's warm and I can actually see the road.

I'm up to 167 miles so far!!! It seems to be a nice vehicle, though when it's dark on my way to work and dark shortly after I get home, there isn't much time to look at it or explore it's features.
    I just put one in last weekend. It might be all in the head, but I do actually think I can feel a bit more engine. The I&N site says 10-15 up more. If that's the case, that puts me to 265. Not to Shabby. I am still running my first tank through it, but am anxious to see what effect it has on mpg.

Has anyone seen Dyno results for the PA, I was curious to see the difference between engine HI and HI at the wheels.
    we're averaging about 17.75 with a 70/30 hwy/city mix on our '01 manual SE. As I mentioned above, I just dropped in a $45 K&N lifetime air filter, but don't know how it will affect the MPG.
  • dannykadannyka Member Posts: 115
    have dropped about 15 cents in the last few weeks. I get regular for about $1.37 (which I use for my '99) and premium is $1.57. This is from a Chevron near my house. Has it been dropping where you guys/gals live?

-Dan
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    So they finally have the K&N for this beast, good to know. Normally I'm very quick to throw a K&N into my vehicles. With this 2001 PF, I'm hesistating a bit. Not because I think it will cause damage, but because I don't know if it will help as much. This PF has variable intake, timing and exhaust. I'm wondering if a K&N filter will give you that much more performance/economy when you have this level of combustion technology helping you out anyways? I guess just the savings on filter changes will pay for it eventually!? Let me know if your fuel economy improves. Thanks.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Yup, as Drew mentioned, I'm a Canuck from Calgary...eh. I would be happy to commiserate with you on kms, l/100km, cdn buck versus US, the horrific lack of factory accessories for the PF up here (but the great standard options), and the accessories you can order online with huge shipping costs... or from Canadian Tire (what's a Pep Boys, anyways??).