Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• smibradsmibrad Member Posts: 34
    1000 miles is a little early to be switching to synthetic oil. You should wait until the 2nd or 3rd oil change to give the engine a chance to break in. I switched to AMSOIL at 7000 miles. I know have 15,500 miles and have not experienced any oil consumption.
  • mtt999mtt999 Member Posts: 15
    Jmtreetop, I am with you, I stick with 91 or higher octane and worry free.

The dealer replaced my bridgetones dueler cupped tires to Toyo tires to cure the shimming. The ride wasn’t that smooth on the new Toyo tires. Last week, I increase the tire pressure from 25 psi to 30 psi and the ride is much smoother. Btw, the maximum load pressure on the Toyo tires is 35psi. I have 6k on my 01pf LE.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Back in post #2244, a question re a way to meet the 91 octane requirement of the PF was asked...namely, can you mix 89 & 93 (50/50) to get 91 (since you can't seem to get 91 anywhere).

Tonychrys gave the url with info that I just got around to looking at...I can't vouch for its accuracy but it clearly states that mixing 89 & 93 50/50 WILL yield the equivalent of 91. Last nite, while filling up I noticed that Mobil had 93 @ 1.90 and 89 @ 1.85 - so I would save a whopping 50 cents on a 20 gal 50/50 mix as opposed to straight 93. Doesn't seem worth it but at least I have the answer :-)
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Hey...lookin back at the posts I just mentioned (in my last post) I noticed that they were screwed up...some were out of order and one post by tonychrys is shown as if it was by me (!). Is this problem wide spread?

I also noticed that the 'goto' function was sending me to a post about 80 less that I asked (I would put 2200 inthe goto field and actually go to post 2120 or so). Is this because of deleted or missing posts from that 'hiccup' we had a while back?

Also...any news on that new search function?

Just bein' a customer (I am a customer, right? ;-) )

Tom
  • joef4570joef4570 Member Posts: 29
    Just in case you haven't seen it. Updated 4/16/01.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/43904/page030.html

• menswearmenswear Member Posts: 11
    I know Nissan is offering 3.9% over 5 years. I want to finance for 3 years....can I get the same rate? Does anyone know what the rate would be for 3 years?

One more side question, is there a light on the dash (or some other reminder) when you engage 4wd?

Thanks.
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    I don't know if they are offering 3.9% for 3 years, but you could just finance for 5 years at that rate and then pay it off in 3 years. Most of the time there is no penalty for early payment. Accept their 5 year financing and then figure out what the payment would be given the amount you finance and the interest rate over 36 months instead of 60. Make the payment that you figured instead of the payment the bank is expecting and at the end of 3 years the truck will be paid off!

4x4 light: on my 99.5, there is a little green light in the tachometer face that comes on when I shift into 4wd.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • jgordon298jgordon298 Member Posts: 2
    How good is the navigation system in the pathfinder and is it worth the extra money to get?
  • skips2skips2 Member Posts: 52
    I too have heard different recommendations regarding what octane of gas is really required in the Nissan Pathfinder and Maxima. Recently, I read an article as to why it is important in the long run to use the higher octane fuel recommended by many manufacturers, including Nissan. It goes something like this:

Newer cars have sensors that prevent engine pinging when a lower grade of fuel is used. Hence, the old pinging theory really is not a good indicator as to whether or not you need to use a higher octane of fuel. When a lower octane fuel is used, computers retard the engine timing, which prevents the pinging from happening. No news here since many of you already knew that. This was the kicker for me. By retarding the engine timing, the engine runs hotter and it expels higher levels of pollutants. The result of long term usage of a lower octane fuel than recommended is possible engine damage and premature failure of the catalytic converter.

Based upon these facts, I have decided its better to pay a little extra for premium gas. Also, the article stated that when the engine timing is retarded, fuel economy is reduced. Hence, the few pennies per gallon that you are saving when buying lower octane fuel, are often lost through reduced miles per gallon.

The article was located at www.cars.com
  • skips2skips2 Member Posts: 52
    Here's the article that I referred to above.

Demystifying Octane Ratings
    A gasoline's octane rating quantifies its resistance to knocking and pinging. These two sounds are caused by abnormal combustion, which robs power and can damage an engine. Knocking and pinging are basically the same thing; knocking is louder and represents a more serious condition. When they occur, it is during acceleration, though higher engine speeds tend to drown them out. Knocking sounds like someone repeatedly rapping the engine with a hammer, and the quieter pinging resembles marbles being shaken inside a tin can.

Many conditions in the engine itself can cause or promote combustion anomalies, but when all other factors are equal, gasoline with a higher octane rating is more resistant to knocking and pinging than a lower-octane fuel. So why doesn't everyone just use high-octane gasoline? Because it is more expensive, and there is no advantage whatsoever in using premium gasoline in a car that doesn't specifically require it. At one time, only premium gasoline included additives that prevent fuel-injector clogging; now, all grades are basically the same in this regard.
    If your car requires high-octane gasoline and you habitually use regular gas because the engine exhibits no sign of knock, you're outsmarting yourself. Most modern, computer-controlled engines include a knock sensor that detects knock and retards the ignition timing, causing the spark plugs to fire slightly later in the cycle. This typically prevents abnormal combustion and knock, which allows vehicles specified for premium fuel to run on lower-grade gasoline if it is all that's available. While this removes the immediate hazard, it's a bad idea to make a habit of running a vehicle on gasoline of lower-than-recommended octane. Retarding the spark causes a richer fuel/air mixture, which decreases fuel economy, increases emissions, causes the engine to run hotter, and reduces the longevity of both the engine itself and the catalytic converter. The money you save by pumping low-grade fuel into a car that demands higher octane is lost anyway, in decreased fuel economy and possibly gradual damage.
    Your vehicle's owner's manual usually recommends an octane rating in terms of an Antiknock Index (AKI), which also is posted on gasoline pumps. The AKI is the average of two ratings determined in a laboratory: the Research Octane Number (RON), which corresponds with low-speed, mild-knocking conditions, and the Motor Octane Number (MON), which covers high-speed, high-temperature knocking conditions and part-throttle operation.
    In general, three grades of gasoline are available in the United States: regular (AKI = 87), midgrade (AKI = 89) and premium (AKI = 91 to 94). The posted gasoline AKIs are lower in the Rocky Mountain states because less octane is needed at higher altitudes. Motorists whose cars require 91 octane fuel may find themselves at filling stations that offer only 89 and 93 octane, but nothing in between. In these cases, the options are to pay more for the 93 octane or to fill the tank halfway with 93 and the rest with 89. The resulting gasoline mixture, just like the average of their two AKI numbers, will equal 91 octane.
  • captainroncaptainron Member Posts: 58
    I opted for it in the LE and now can't believe I was "on the fence" about it when shopping around. It rocks! I would have preferred it to be a DVD based system that covers the whole country on one disc, but now that my cross-country trip is done, the one CD will suit me just fine. There are places I've been going to for years that I never knew the fastest way to get there. Like...I knew this one place was on Washington Avenue about 6 miles from me...I'd just get on Washington and schlep it through traffic and redlights...heck, it was only 20 minutes...I punched in the address in the nav system and it tells me to take a left...What? THAT'S not the way!!! Okay...I'll try this out for grins. It puts me on a freeway entrance heading East through Los Angeles...Okay...now what? "In about one mile, exit on the right. Then in about 2-tenths of a mile, stay to the left"...it says. REALLY? I dunno... "You have reached your destination on the left hand side. Ending route guidance." ...and there it was. 10 minutes! I couldn't believe it! I programed in all my friend's addresses and frequently visited locations. Now, where ever I am, I just hit "Local Pub" and it takes me right there! Now if I could just get it to call me a taxi for the ride home... : )

As an added benefit, placing the nav system in the dash moves the 6-disc "coin-slot" type cd changer to a "magazine" style changer in the passenger side of the rear cargo compartment. I've heard a few rumblings about the "err 2" message on the "coin-slot" type and was happy to get the old tried and true type.

In my opinion, worth every dime.

Captain Ron. . .
  • wanton679696wanton679696 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to all for the feedback on octane levels for our '01 PF LE. This board is a wealth of information!

Al & Ann
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    Very good fuel article!! What is the difference between winter fuel and summer
    fuel? Also what is used in modern fuel to produce the highter octane? What
    fuel milage are you getting with your PF? (17-20) The antiknock senser on
    our PF only retards the timming when it detects a spark knock. Steve
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    Glad the octane issue is settled. Sent it to some friends, very helpful. Went to get tires rotated today and I had been keeping my tires at 34 psi. They told me it was messing up the sidewalls so they lowered it to 26 which they said was recommended for that tire, not just for Nissan's cushion ride. I'm not sure how it was messing up the sidewalls but they said not to drive on it that high. No, this wasn't at Nissan either. Interesting. BTW, when I checked my tires psi after 4 hours on the highway at 40 degree weather it was at 38 psi. Im sure it would easily be in the 40's if it was like 80 outside. I think I'll just leave it at 26-28 since I have received the second opinion and not just Nissan's.
  • georgeb7georgeb7 Member Posts: 35
    A few of you mentioned 3.9 for 5 years. Can you tell me what states have that? I am in California and I only see 5.9 for 5 years. If I could get 3.9 for 5 years, I would probably buy tomorrow.
    Thanks.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Motortrend reports a new larger and re designed PF for 2002. I reviewed the last 140 post here and have not heard any mention.

I contacted my local dealer and was told not for a couple of years. What is MT talking about?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    Georgeb7
    Bought my LE on President's day and I got the $5,000 off MSRP (slightly less than invoice) and the 3.9% for five years

I live in the SF bay area. I looked at the Friday newspaper and one is still giving the 3.9% for the PF for 5 years. If your dealer is not offering, wait for a while or look around.

They usually advertise starting on a Friday and ends on a Sunday. I have seen the 3.9% since February. I think the promo is still on. It is Nissan giving this not the dealer so it should be nationwide but probably not on a continueous basis. They do it on the Xterra on one week, on the PF on some dealers but it is still on. Where I bought, they are offering the 3.9% for the Maxima and Frontier this week.
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    I doubt that Nissan would redesign the Pfinder so quickly especially since the 2002's will be coming out in around 4 months. I think they might have been originally planning it for 2002 a few years back but put it off and put in the bigger engine instead. I have heard rumors but all of them had been for the next several years. Motor Trend is either smoking crack again or they just haven't updated their site since the rumors originally came out.
  • kbehnkekbehnke Member Posts: 60
    According to www.freshalloy.com, their model matrix shows that the PF will be redesigned(increase in size and capacity) in 2003.
  • plwilliamsplwilliams Member Posts: 96
    the outside temp guage on your 01 PF starts to read 10-15 degrees higher than the actual temp ;-).
  • joef4570joef4570 Member Posts: 29
    "I know Nissan is offering 3.9% over 5 years. I want to finance for 3 years....can I get the same rate? Does anyone know what the rate would be for 3 years?"

I just did this, Nissan will let you finance for less than 5 years at the same 3.9%.
    Joe
  • menswearmenswear Member Posts: 11
    I just wanted to thank everyone on this board for all the info. I took the plunge yesterday and put a deposit on a 2001 PF SE 4x4, Auto. I bought it for Invoice - $300 cashback, comes out to about $27.8. The dealer just has to find the color that I want (Silver, black, or white). Can't wait!
  • mazadimazadi Member Posts: 26
    Does anyone else find it annoying that the outside temp gauge is totally inaccurate? I know you're supposed to drive for a while for it to calibrate, but mine is always about 10 degrees too high. Is this an issue with just my car, or is it simply due to poor placement of the sensor? Has anyone tried to fix this?
  • johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    i'm trying to find the online/phone dealer that people have gotten quotes from. i'm helping a buddy look for a new vehicle, and people here have had luck with some phone in or online place that gets one in a requested area for cheap. maybe it pits dealers against each other? i don't remember the name and i've just searched for an hour on this board and can't find any reference to it. am i making sense?

-johnskev
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    I noticed this right away on my 01 PF last april. I took my PF in and the dealer said "sorry" can't do a thing. Maybe if enough of us complain to Nissan they will do something.
  • kbehnkekbehnke Member Posts: 60
    Does anyone know if the oil filters for the '01 can be purchased anywhere besides the dealership - either at parts stores or online? My dealership is about 30 minutes away so I don't want to have to make a special trip unless I have to.

Thanks.
  • jsfoxjsfox Member Posts: 1
    I just purchase my new 2001 SE Pathfinder which has the manually adjusted seats. The head room is right on the edge for me and it would be great to get another 1" (yes, I have the seat at it's lowest position). Looking under the seat it looks like the seat mounts could be modified to lower the seat. Anyone know if there are aftermarket parts to accomplish this? Seems like it would be a simple set of parts and a very welcome improvement.
  • path01path01 Member Posts: 14
    Having had 3 Nissan VQ powered cars with the PF being the fourth, I can state that changing to synth. oil at 1,000 miles has had absolutely no adverse effects. No oil consumption, no leakage, etc. As a matter of fact, I have switched to synth. oil on all my cars at 1K since 1976 with no bad results (always use Mobil 1).

I do not notice the temperature differential some of you speak about concerning the outside temp gauge. It is normal for the gauge to read erroneously after sitting , but after a few miles, mine seems to be accurate (01 Pathfinder).
  • mcnicholasmcnicholas Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a recommendation for the best
    product to use on the suede seat covers for getting off scuff marks? Will it also work on the
    headline fabric. Thanks in advance.
  • jgordon298jgordon298 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering getting a Pathfinder in the next couple of months and had a couple questions about the ERR2 problem.

1) Has anybody who recently bought a Pathfinder (recently = within 2 months) gotten an ERR2 message?
    2) Has anybody with the 6 disc changer in the back of the pathfinder (because of the navi system) exprienced this problem?
    3) Has anybody who had the problem, then got a new changer, have an ERR2 message again with their new changer?
    Thanks.
  • pondfull5pondfull5 Member Posts: 53
    Yes, two weeks after I got my Pf SE 5spd.(the Canadian model) the problem started.
    I am still waiting for the dealer to call me to replace the radio. Because that is what the they told me was the cause of the problem.
    Please refer to my recent posting on this issue.
    full5.
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    Hi y'all ....

1/ I picked up my oil filters at Walmart ... Fram PH 7164 (I think!) for $4.00 each.

2/ I had dealer replace my temp sensor 2 weeks after delivery. It seems to be more accurate now even tho still high for a couple of minutes.

3/ Nissan Canada just dropped their purchase financing rate from 2.8% to 1.8% on April 01/01.

4/ Steering wheel was off center approx 5-10 degrees even tho PF was going straight. Dealer re-aligned the wheels.

Cheers!
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    We had the name spoofing problem when we restored the database after the server problems that we had a while back. Yes, it affected others across Town Hall, so it's not just you.

Dates can be out of order because when we move posts from other topics, the date carries along as well.

As for the "go to" function, it depends on how many deleted posts there are in a topic. Have a look at this for more info:
    bblaha "New Software! Your Questions Answered..." Apr 6, 2001 11:08pm

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • wcrolandwcroland Member Posts: 26
    I just had it last night trying to put cd in, cd is store bought but a little thicker I think due to the top grpahics of it. Tried second time worked fine, so I think in dash changer is still better than going back to the rear to put them in. Don't give up hope.
  • path01path01 Member Posts: 14
    I have found that Interior Cleaner by Griot's Garage (www.griotsgarage.com) is by far the best stuff I have come across yet. Use it to clean the suede like beige upholstery on my wifes Maxima.
    I would use what the manual says to avoid not conforming to the proper care of the vehicle, thus voiding warranty if engine problem arises. What someone tells you today may not be the same thing another tells you tomorrow.
  • selight2selight2 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks to this forum and all the excellent information I bought a 2001 AWD Bronzed Gray PF LE. I think I got a good deal:

2001 PF LE AWD
    Cloth Interior
    Wind Deflector
    Body Side Moldings
    Micro Filter
    Floor Mats
    $28,900
    Includes $500 core cash and 3.9% financing.
    Just add tax and tags

I used the Nissan VPP program and according to Edmunds and my research it looks to be about $756 below invoice. I received $500 core cash so ask about it during your negotiations and the 3.9% financing is also back at select dealerships. The VPP program is worth looking into also. Thanks again all for your help.
  • stephentwstephentw Member Posts: 9
    Hi Fellow PF Owners

Had to take a minute to agree with those that have used Zaino products on their Pathfinder. It is unbelievable what a quality product this is and the final results. Mine is burnt cherry and the wet look is just absolutely fantastic. The best part is the ease of application. I found a distributor online that accepted credit cards and I had my products in 3 days. I highly recommend them if like me you can't wait or are uncomfortable sending someone a check. Her name is Roz Aldridge and her business is called the Gloss Boss. Here is a link:

http://home.bluemarble.net/~dlharden/glossboss.htm

I was sold on these products when I viewed the pictures on the Zaino web site (www.zainobros.com)

If you order products from Roz, please tell her Steve in Missouri recommended her. Great service! Thanks to all on this board for their wonderful contributions! Steve

• linleylinley Member Posts: 12
    I have the 01 SE. I am thinking of putting a wood dash kit in but I am very happy with my suvie.
    BUT the ashtray under the shifter and the space next to the power plug under the cd player bug me. (Ithink that is where something to do with 4x4 goes -mine is 2WD) Does anybody use these things for anything else. I would love to try to figure out how to add a plain slot where the ashtray goes as a phone holder OR give the drink holders a little more room. NOT COMPLAINING...just love looking at everything and plan on spending alot of time in there. Any other suggestions or improvements?
  • poswaldposwald Member Posts: 38
    I agree with you linley on the ashtray and space under the cd unit bugginf me. I have the 4x4 model and the space is still there. The ashtray is a complete waste of "prime" space in my opinion as i don't smoke and never will. Nissan could have used this for a million other things but didn't. How about the ashtray is standard but a lighter is not? Go figure. The space under the cd is also useless IMHO because anything I have ever put in there falls out either under braking or hard acceleration. I researched a little what to do with these spaces but came up with nothing. I know that on the QX4 the space next to the lighter has some sort of compartment (similar to our change drawer). I think that may be their change drawer. I inquired at the Infinity dealership about whether this compartment thing would fit in the slot in my nissan or not and they were extremely unhelpful and I just dropped it. My nissan dealer didn't have a clue either. Has anybody done anything enlightening with these space?
  • goblue96goblue96 Member Posts: 33
    The space next to the power plug on my 01 LE contains two things. The all-mode 4WD selector switch (far left) and the two switches for the heated seats (only avail. with leather package). Hope this helps.
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    Wait until you apply the second and third coat. It gets better! Amazing stuff. Also dirt and bugs just rinse off. I order it from the Canadian on-line distributor (http://www.car-fanatic.com/) by fax. It arrives in a week. Doing the leather seat treatment this weekend.
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    Does Canadian Tire or other retailers sell this outstanding Zaino product?

Is Meguairs or Liquid Glass worth the time & effort?

TIA!
  • tommy38tommy38 Member Posts: 32
    Hello,
    Does anyone know any confirmed info regarding to the 2002 PF? Will it be an all-new design or just an modified version of the current one?
    Thanks,
  • wcrolandwcroland Member Posts: 26
    I have heard Zaino is great, but have never used it, I use Meguiars and think it is worth time and effort, I am sure Zaino is too, just preference.

I use Meguiars Gold Class Prep/Polish Product, then Wax product with a buffer and do the whole Pathy (both steps) in under an hour.

Does anyone know of a good place to get a sunshade to put in front window to relfect sun when parked? Also, did anyone find where to get chrome extension for tailpipe?
  • kevinmackevinmac Member Posts: 5
    I'm from the Boston area, How would I find dealers in Canada this side of the coast to buy a PF?
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    geargeb7: in your post 2439 what manual are you refering to?
    The service manual and the owners manual are different. There is
    no dilemma use what ever works the best with the endividuals driving
    conditions. If you here any detonation use higher grade of fuel. Steve
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    Hi Pathstar:

I live in an area of BC where much rocks and gravel are on our roads, and am anticipating that my radiator or other exposed parts behind the grille may take a 'hit', like joecruz. I have been unable to find the Steelworks screening in the size that joecruz has suggested, so may try the Canadian Tire route. Do you know the part number of the product, as I could not find at my local store? Any tips on install would be appreciated. You can e-mail me off site if you wish.

Thanks
    Woody