Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    kbehnke: Purolator has a new filter for '01 Nissans the L14610. They
    claim it fits all '01. The filter Nissan parts department should sell is15208-65F00.
    It seems small but it is the correct one. Steve
  • georgeb7georgeb7 Member Posts: 35
    in central California and they are still telling me that I can not have 3.9 for 5 years financing. I have told them that others got 3.9 for 5 years in California. He said that the financing is different in different areas. I guess that means I will buy the vehicle in San Francisco or San Jose.
  • joe233joe233 Member Posts: 43
    What is the dashboard material (top) made of? It doesn't seem to be that rigid/hard plastic like other car dashes. It seems to have a little more friction, almost rubbery. I bought a dust dry sponge put out by turtle wax that started breaking up when I wiped the dash with it. This same sponge glides nicely over the hard dashboards in other cars. And should I use vinly cleaner onthe dash or something else?
  • highuphighup Member Posts: 31
    Wow got over 3000 hits on the truck and gille pics so there must be a real interest in protecting the radiator and stuff. I am planning to add a rear hatch pop to open the rear window without using key. I have piggybacked a DEI alarm system to Nissan's and will use channel 2 on the remote to unlock the rear hatch window. I will also install a momentary switch somewhere in the dash to do the same thing. Any interest?
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    I used Armorall vinyl protectant on my dash and it looks great...a very glossy shiny appearance!
  • skips2skips2 Member Posts: 52
    It is my understanding from MotorTrend that the PF and Infiniti QX4 will be re-designed for the 2003 model year, which will be available next year. (Both of these vehicles will be made larger.) Typically, Nissan releases re-designed vehicles early. For example: The 2002 Q45 is available now. The 2000 Maxima went on sale in the spring/summer of 1999. Therefore, I expect the 2003 re-designed PF to be available in the spring/summer of next year, which is not that far away.
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    I have never felt vibration in my pfinder in 4X4. Are you on pavement, dirt, or snow when this happens?
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    Georgeb7
    It is strange but I called the Sales Manager of the dealership I bought my PF and he said that the 3.9% is still available for the PF

His name is Amir Bakhtiari
    1-800-Auto-Plaza (this serves a lot of dealership like Mitsu, Chrysler, Isuzu, Ford so you have to ask for Serramonte Nissan)

In the Chronicle today April 26
    Dublin Nissan PF LE 4x4 $5K off MSRP with 3.9% Financing
    Tel No. 888-243-4193 (I do not know anyone here)

I think you can get any of the PF at that price but be sure to agree before coming over for the price, color and model. I know that it is not only the 3.9% that is important but also the price. It will be frustrating coming all the way to San Jose or SF even with the 3.9% and you cannot agree on the price later. You can get the MSRP on line by using Carpoint or other websites you know.

If you need help I can give you my daytime number at work (free he he) or email me at home on the weekends
    I have never felt vibration in my pfinder in 4X4. Are you on pavement, dirt, or snow when this happens?
  • rcsuttonrcsutton Member Posts: 35
    I ran my 2000 Pathy low on fuel. The "Service engine soon" light came on and will not go off. Any ideas? I hate to take it to the dealer for this 30000 miles and no problems, I do have the K&N filter charger installed for the last 2000 miles. Can anyone help?
    Bob
    S. Fl.
    How low on fuel? Did you run out? If you know that is what triggered it then I probably would not take it in. It should automatically turn off anywhere from 8-35 startups. The engine must fully warm up and be driven for it to be considered a startup by the computer. If you triggered it the dealer will charge you $70 for diagnostics, I know from experience. As long as it runs fine, I would leave it for awhile and see if it goes off. I was told by Nissan that it is only really important if that "Service Engine Soon" light is blinking. So if it's steady, it's ok to drive.
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    I also know (unfortunately all too well) that the Ford Expedition service engine light can be reset by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting after 5 mins. I suspect the same of the PF if needed
    rcsutton: The service manual didn't say anything about the owner resetting
    the "service engine soon" light. Depends what the system detected it could take
    3 engine starts or 40 or 80 engine starts to turn the light off. If the system detected
    a engine misfire on one or more cylinders it could take 80 starts to turn the light off.
    It gets very envolved to go any further into the system. Your PF is still under warreny
    it only takes a couple of minutes to clear the system with a scan tool. A generic
    scan tool is about $350 might be a good investment. Steve
  • wcrolandwcroland Member Posts: 26
    Not sure about 00 but 01 Manual says if you run out of fuel, light will come on and stay on for a few fill ups. Wait it out, you don't want to pay for them to reset it.
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    Just for piece of mind I'd at least call them and ask what they will tell you. Unless they are money hounds they may agree or know other cases were the same thing occurred.

Dano
  • pondfull5pondfull5 Member Posts: 53
    Yes Highup, I'm interested in the transformation of the rear window. Also interested in your alarm system.
    Have you also up graded your audio system?.
    Thanks full5.
  • sysadmin1sysadmin1 Member Posts: 122
    My 01 Path is about to turn 1K old, with just over 20K miles on it. I have done the two services (7500,15000) and all started fine. 3 Days after the 15 K service, the check engine light came on. After they scratched their heads and plugged it in, they told me that the ECU was messed up and they had to completely re-program it. SCARY! Hope it was done right...one thing I notice after that was that if you hold the revs at 1800, the engine surges and drops to 1500 or so...any higher or lower it idles fine. Wierd.
    Also, have Toyos, and are worn pretty good. Anyone else showing major Toyo wear after such short mileage?
    I have bridgestone and they are wearing like crazy. Cant wait to put on better tires but wish these would last at least 30K.
  • felke001felke001 Member Posts: 33
    Can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the cargo cover (that hides contents in the back) from my new 2001 LE. Nothing in the owner's manual. Help?
  • usarmytttusarmyttt Member Posts: 21
    Tap it up on both sides near the window. It will come right out of the brackets.
  • rcsuttonrcsutton Member Posts: 35
    Thanks alot for all the responses, I'm on a 3000 mile vacation so there will be plenty fo time to see if it clears itself. The car is running fine. I'll keep you all posted. BTW, I did not run out of gas just very close.
    Bob
    S. Fl.
    Sysadmin1: At 1800 rpm is this driving down the hiway or idling in your
    driveway in park? At 1800 rpm in park there is a "revolution sensor signal"
    activated after the engine is idled at this rpm. It gets more complecated from here....
    Tires: Check the tire wear code on the side wall I think Toyo's were about
    # 180 witch is low don't expect alot of milage 25K.
    Steve
    Did anyone put body side mouldings on their 01 PF?
    Are you happy with the appearance? How difficult are they to install?

I see nissanpartsusa.com is offering them at $35.00 each. Do they deliver products on a timely fashion and in good condition?

TIA
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I've installed them on my bronze-grey 2001 PF LE and I really like them. They are perfectly color coded, with the color molded into the plastic. You can see them here on my truck:

http://photos.yahoo.com/phil47ca

You can also see them on my original 1999.5 PF LE (Cayenne Red) with the Stillen kit which I traded in for my 2001. I ordered them both times from Nissanpartsusa with no problems (3 week delivery to Canada), However, I've heard they are no longer delivering to Canada, and that some folks are having troubles with their shipments from them.

The mouldings really do look awesome! If nissanpartsusa doesn't ship to Canada anymore, will the local Toronto dealers or retailers have them?

What's involved in installing them on your PF?

I have the same hood deflector! It's a bummer when I wax though...I just don't bother with the metal under the deflector (and sunroof deflector).

I just put on some LIQUID GLASS...it's looks great...a mirror like finish!
    You must haven taken a beating for trading in your 99.5 PF? Did you like the 240 HP that much?

My inlaw has a 98 Chilkoot and was *very* tempted to trade for the 01 PF but I discouraged him...LOL.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    The Stillen Stage III kit added some value to the trade-in, and I had less than 20,000 km on it. I think I ended up paying around $9k CAD to trade in (which includes the cost of the Stillen kit). The way I looked at it, the additional HP, the auto4wd (vs part time), 6 disk indash CD, memory seats, 20k less km and 2001 model year was all worth the extra dough (that's my story....I'm sticking to it!).

I'm sure you can order the mouldings from your dealer. Let them know what you can get them for online to help reduce their markup. Installation is fairly easy. One hour is all it takes and it is mostly prep work (clean surface, straight and horizontal application).

The deflector is tough to wax around, but that part of the hood is so well protected I'm not worried. Let me know if you want tips on installing the side mouldings.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    Hi:

I tried for a few weeks to locate body side moldings for my Canadian Pathfinder. It appears that the majority of on-line Nissan parts retailer do not ship to Canada. I did obtain a Nissan part number and forward it on to my dealer, who advised it was not an item which came up in his database, so I concluded it was a US item only, much like the CD shop manual.

I am interested in moldings, so hope some information is posted.
  • kbehnkekbehnke Member Posts: 60
    I'm disappointed to hear that the Toyo tires are wearing so fast. It sounds like the Bridgestones may have the same problem. I had 60k on my Dunlop's on my 98 PF and they were still in decent condition. It appears I'll be lucky if I get half of that with the Toyos.
  • pat103pat103 Member Posts: 1
    just bought a 97 pathfinder 4wd with about 60,000 miles. love the car BUT it really sways and shimmeys, also a gas smell. haven't taken it any where yet, looking for suggestions and solutions. Thanks!
  • johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    highup: that'd be great to see how you retrofit to get the rear window to pop up with a remote. i have the qx4, which includes a lever inside the vehicle (on the underside of the armrest, next to the gas cover button) to pop the rear hatch window. i've seen so many other suv's with the rear window hatch button on the remote, i'm jealous.

-johnskev
  • batchelor22batchelor22 Member Posts: 10
    Woody, I ordered my body side mouldings and a few micro air filters for my 2001 Black LE from Nissan Parts USA. They were easy to install and have made a difference in parking lot dings. They took about 8 weeks to arrive from ordering over the internet.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    I e-mailed Nissanpartsusa back in March, and they responded that they do not ship beyond continental USA as of 1/1/01.

Thanks anyhow. I am concerned about door dings, and would like to obtain the Nissan moldings, but seeking a source.
  • tburgtburg Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2001 Pathfinder LE 4X4 fully loaded. It has remote radio controls on the left side of the steering column and the cruise control switches on the right side of the steering column. Nice feature but to my amazement, the first night I had the vehicle there was no illumination of these switches on either side. Is this normal or do I have a potential electrical problem. I just cannot believe that Nissan would omit something so simple as being able to see how to engage the cruise control and/or radio at night on a $30,000+ dollar car! Tell me it isn'' t so..... Tnx.
  • goblue96goblue96 Member Posts: 33
    Unfortunately, it is so. In fact there are a number of "unlit" switches in the 01 PF. Still a sweet ride though.
  • jci109jci109 Member Posts: 9
    To be honest, I have not found the unlit features to be a problem. You really shouldn't HAVE TO look at the steering column to determine what to push. I generally use my steering column adjustments for the stereo system. As a matter of fact, I use it so often I almost forget how to use the actual stereo itself:-) I think that you will find that this is true for you as well. Don't let the lack of illuminating functions darken your day (or night). The PF rocks!!...in my opinion of course.
    Filod - how far is Colma from SanFrancisco International Airport? I want to go there on Wednesday.

California now has 3.9 financing that is suppose to end today on 4/30. Does anyone know what the new best financing is?
    Well, 14 days from moving to a nice neighborhood it looks like I'm walking the rest of the week because some hoodrats decided to egg the Pfinder this weekend which ended up taking off the paint on the passenger door. Nissan is repainting the entire door with clearcoat for $380. This was the cheapest I could find in the area plus I dont have to worry about color matching. Keep your Pfinder garaged!
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    georgeb7
    colma is about 10 miles from sfo. I do not think the 3.9% will end soon. Try to call them if they will offer the 3.9% this May. They usually tell you that its the last day to get you to buy right away.
    I'm sorry to hear about that cowardly act of vandalism. Does the comprehensive part of your car insurance not cover this paint job with a $100 deductible and no increase in premium?

Just goes to show the more we take care of our PF, the higher the chances of crime.

Perhaps the moral of the story is to not only park in the garage but also, don't wax?! (just kiddin)
    Being in Canada, the rates are obviously very different. However, I can tell you that Nissan Canada was offering 2.8% financing over 3 years for perhaps 2-3 months and it ended on March 31/01.

At that point, they DROPPED their rate to 1.8% over 3 years! Unfortunately, I got burned as I took delivery Mar 30 and my phone call to Nissan fell on deaf ears!
  • menswearmenswear Member Posts: 11
    I just got my car a few days ago. I am having a BIG problem with the transmission. When I would put my car in Reverse, the car would actually move forward. And also this morning, when I put the car in Drive, the car when in Reverse! Anyone have this problem on their 01 PF?
    I will let you know what I find when I go there. I will probably stop in San Jose to check their inventory also. I have the pleasure of driving my brother-in-laws Lincoln Navigator to the airport. Be in touch later.
    You must give the dealer a chance to fix it. If they fail in three attempts, you can probably go to arbitration (depending on what state you live in). Your situation is serious, and it could cause an accident.

I have been through this with Toyota. I filed an arbitration claim and won it. It is not hard but it takes alot of time and you must document things clearly. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
    Not to beat a dead horse, but I just had my first oil change and inquired about the proper tire pressure. The dealer that I bought it from had filled the tires to 50 PSI, 1 under the max for the Dunlop's. Thanks to you all I checked and dropped them to 38. The dealer near my office told me that Nissan has suggested 32 PSI for the Dunlop's and was going to send out a service bulletin soon breaking down pressure for the different tire brands used on the PF. Don't know if it's true or not, but I'm going to stick at 32.
    For now anyway...
    Who has retrofitted their 01 PF with impressive looking PIAA lamps? If so, was it worth the trouble? And how much did it cost? And how difficult to install?

TIA!
    I do have comprehensive insurance but my detuctible is at $500 because I am a young driver so it keeps the rates down. Life goes on!
  • steviebeesteviebee Member Posts: 2
    I own a 99 Pathfinder, and I did not purchase the tow package when I bought the SUV. I am now looking to buy a boat and trailer, and was wondering if anyone here could lend me some advice about either buying the Nissan tow hitch on-line (good prices and good service), as well as any expriences with the genuine Nissan tow hitch vs. non-genuine hitches. Thanks in advance.
    I installed the PIAA Super White's. I chose them over the Super Plasma's because the Super White's are currently street legal, and the Plasma's are not. I think they look great, but they are actually not as bright as the stock lamps. If you want more info go to the town hall page and look for "after market and accessories", then chose "after market bulbs". Somewhere on there I found an article that tested the most popular bulbs. They were extremely easy to install and cost about $70. Definitely worth it for me. Good luck!
    For those interested. Stillen will be selling a cold air intake for the 2001 Pfinder in approx. 2 months. Not sure how much they will sell for.