Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• ginakfginakf Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone experienced a very loud squeaking noise coming from the front tires? It only makes this high pitch noise when driving and not when braking? I brought it into the dealer and they said that it is a common problem and that the front tire rear braking plates need to be changed. Also, anyone had a problem with the air bag sensor going berserk at around 80K?

Thanks.
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    It might be nice to have the steering wheel switches lit, or it might be distracting. I've had four vehicles with steering wheel switches and I've rented a number of others - I've never seen one with the switches lit ...
  • mazadimazadi Member Posts: 26
    This is a stupid question, but doesn't the 2001 LE come with body colored side moldings? I'm trying to figure out why people are buying them seperately.
  • joef4570joef4570 Member Posts: 29
    To answer your question, no, the 01 LE does not come with side body moldings, they are an extra cost option. Having said that, almost all of the LE's I looked at (scores of 'em) before I bought mine were equiped with them. It also seemed that the LE's on the dealers lots (NY Metro Area) came with the Limited Slip Differential, Floor Mats, Sunroof Wind Deflector & In-Cabin Microfilter. I guess they figure that people who buy LE's will most likely want those options & that you'll pay the few extra hundred bucks rather than wait to order one "your way".
  • crapgamecrapgame Member Posts: 43
    Edited out after discovering more relevent information.
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    It sounds like a conversion to the PIAA Super Whites will sacrifice performance for the sake of appearance then???
  • poswaldposwald Member Posts: 38
    I changed both the headlights and fogs on my 01 LE to PIAA superwhites. In my opinion, the super white PIAA's headlights are the same brightness as stock. The light is whiter though. A questionable upgrade at $70. I originally switched to the super Plasmas. What a waste of time. It felt like I had no lights on at all and they are not legal. However, I 100% recommend that you change the foglights to PIAA. I think I paid about $40 for them. Definately worth it. Much whiter and BRIGHTER than stock.
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    Where might the best place to buy the brighter bulbs online?
    Thanks,
    Dano
  • goblue96goblue96 Member Posts: 33
    I personally don't believe you have to sacrifice much performance. However, the article I read showed a decrease in brightness at 100 feet and no change at 50 feet. I agree with poswald about things being whiter and easier to see up close, but as these results show things deteriorate at longer distances. For what it's worth, I'm happy with the Super White's and am thinking of changing the fog lights also on poswalds recommendation. Here is the article I mentioned.

www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=102
  • kmrqkmrq Member Posts: 50
    I had super plasma in my 99.5 PF headlights and my fog lights too. The appearance is nice from far away. Yup and I couldnt see anything in the front. So I changed mine to Catz Zeta 00 kit for both the headlights and fog lights. Much better then the stock headlights and other HID-Look alike bulbs. Now I'm thinking about retro-fitting HID into the headlights.
    I too looked into a HID conversion kit for my 01 LE. $680 for a set of 2 bulbs including ignitors. A little too steep for me. I went with the PIAA super white bulb replacement and, for now, I am very happy. You lose your high beam with this type of HID conversion.

Check out this website for more info http://www.hidxenon.com

• rcsuttonrcsutton Member Posts: 35
    Well, just to follow-up with my idiot light problem. It finally went out, 1 week later, about 4 fill-up. I guess the sensor takes awhile.
    Bob
    S. Fl
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    I finally called them and asked if the rear flectors cover the entire window. It doesn't, only the window not the rear section of the door window. They are also on back order for the rear sets. What to do????? Guess I'll try Ventvisor and see how they look even though I'll have to tape em'.

Dano
  • mdpalmermdpalmer Member Posts: 1
    Responding to ginakf - I just purchased a 97 PF with 26,000 mi. A high pitched whining noise from the front end started almost immediately. Thought it was a belt, but it could be the brakes or tires. It starts at about 25-30 mph, but doesn't always make noise. There is no noise at stops. Please let me know if the brake work eliminates the noise and I will post what I find out.
  • wholeinonewholeinone Member Posts: 9
    Well it is one year to the date that I bought a 2001 be-have had one major problem, the rack went out after about 1,400 miles, other than that a o..
    should be le so sorry
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    What do you mean the rack went out, did it break?? How many miles do you have yours after a yr?? I have had mine 4 months and have 10,000. 2500 miles a month isnt too bad huh!! hee hee.
  • mike354mike354 Member Posts: 4
    I just got a 01 PF SE 4WD and noticed a strange noise after the engine was shut down. As it was cooling off an intermittent noise was coming from underneath but I wasn't able to pin down exactly where it was coming from. It sounded like a quiet fog horn sound for 10 seconds and a couple second break and then coming on again. Just wondering if anyone has encountered this or heard about it?
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Had the same sound coming from my 99 Honda accord and my 01 PF. Luckily have a friend who is a Honda tech and he told me it was the gas tank pressure equalizer. It releases pressure intermittantly to keep the tank safe.
  • climber3climber3 Member Posts: 13
    I thought I would save some money by getting an aftermarket hitch considering the cost of the factory hitch. I investigated this before buying and was told that Draw-Tite had an aftermarket hitch that was "no-drill" and could be put in without modifications. After having it installed I found out (after the installation place closed) on my way home that the hitch was against the muffler and the noise and vibration was so intense I could not drive more than 2500 RPM (I had to go 40 miles on the interstate to get back home). I ended up purchasing a Nissan factory hitch and installing it myself. Additionally, the Draw-Tite hitch used 4 bolts each side for installation, but the factory hitch used an extra 2 bolts on each side and I suspect will stand up to a weight-distributing hitch better.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    ~2,500 a month, wheeww
    That's great, I thought I was the only one. Almost 10 mos. and 24,000 miles, what can I say, it's a blast to drive!

b.
    I have 14,300 miles for a year. The steering rack started to make noise, it got tough to steer, hope that helps.
  • jecklesjeckles Member Posts: 87
    Well the vibration saga continues... I went to a second Nissan Dealer yesterday and gave them a detailed description of the vibration problem. I also asked them to check the run-out of the drive shaft. (as advised by service manual)

After lunch they called me and said the vibration is normal for pathfinders. The service mgr. supposedly spoke with engineers at Nissan that said nothing could be done. Hence he did nothing. Expecting me to be disappointed, the service mgr. said to call 800-NISSAN1 if I was unhappy. I called and got a friendly denial to help.

I drove another PF on the lot and it only vibrated about half as much. So I asked where they drew the line between normal and abnormal. The Service mgr was unable to answer and got quite angry.

Sorry for the long post, but how many other 2001 PF 4x4 owners have noticed slight vibrations. This vibration is felt from the drive train, but goes away when coasting. Mine happens at ~40 mph.
    The local independent hitch sop in Toronto claims the ROUND tube Draw Tite hitches they would provide is truly drill free with no interference whatsoever. They quoted me $250 CDN installed but I have dropped in yet.

Was your Draw Tite round or square tube?
  • jci109jci109 Member Posts: 9
    Okay, I know that this has probably already been discussed at some point, but I can't take the time to scroll through EVERY post (wish there was a search feature). My problem is....somebody got a little close to my PF and scratched the back passenger door. It is not bad enough to bring it in somewhere (I don't think), but I would like to protect it somehow. The scratch looks fairly deep, too. Any suggestions of what I can do? Thanks for help.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    I have the DrawTite hitch and it banged against the muffler as well. It was going to drive me crazy, so I cut a 6' or so section from some 1' black water pump hose, slit it down the middle, and used 100% silicone to adhere it to the right strut of the hitch where the muffler was hitting it. No noise now for 23,000 + miles.
  • pyrenuspyrenus Member Posts: 19
    Hey guys, I haven't bought a pf yet, but I'm planning on it within the next 8 months or so. At first I had my heart set on a super black, but now I'm having second thoughts. I think ALL the colors look really good, and black is hard to keep clean, plus any kind of scratch or rock chip will really show up.

What do you all think?
    I think the local tire shop may have gouged my L front wheel on the LE PF during my last balance and rotate. I noticed a chunk of paint etc missing. It is down to the bare metal, any ideas how to fill/repair this defect. I have the silver standard LE wheels.
  • 80738073 Member Posts: 1
    I have tried just about everything to correct the vibration problem. The vehicle has been in for service 9 time since 09/00. The vibration is terrible between 55 and 75 MPH. Nissan has had technicians come into town to work on the problem but there has been NO improvement. I have been told that they are not aware of anyone else having the same problem. This is obviously a lie. The entire process of owning this vehicle has been terrible. I am now pursuing arbitration due to the problems. If I am denied the arbitration, I plan to take legal action because of the constant misprepesentations made to me by Nissan and the dealership.

I did find that a technical bulletin was issued by Nissan in July of 2000 about the vibration. The problem I have is that they knew about the problem before I purchased the vehicle. The vehicle should have been fixed or I should have been advised of the problem.

I am extremely disappointed in the way Nissan has handled the entire process and will NEVER purchase another Nissan.
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    Towed a small trailer for the first time with my '01 Path. What a dissapointment!! The pulling capabilities is equal to a Honda Goldwing. Nissan also should have included an anchor to deploy to get this thing stopped! I even wired the load compensator on the rear axle to make the rear brakes more effective. Putting your foot on the brake peddle is like sticking your foot in a bowl of jello. When I was hooking up this trailer the front right wheel was setting on a 2-3 inch mound of dirt and the rear hatch would not close until I moved the PF off the mound. Nissan needs to loose the leather seats and other worthless fluff and clean up there act if they are ever going to get my business again!!
    Steve
    How many pounds is your "small" trailer Steve?
  • wcrolandwcroland Member Posts: 26
    I have the U-Haul tow hitch and no rubbing and no drilling to my knowledge, it's roundtube and 3 bolts on each side and two bolts undernearth, and another couple to bumper. Very happy, installed for $174.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    I'm also curious about your towing problems...something sounds wrong here. Goldwing - that's a 6cyl 1.5L motorcycle, right? Hopefully you're exagerating a bit :-)
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    I have the Nissan hitch, installed by the dealer (at great cost I might add ;-). The exhaust tail-pipe hits it from time to time, making a disconcerting noise. I'm going to press a thick chunk of rubber on the last hanger to push the tailpipe to the outside about 1" (the rubber is tubular with a hole in the middle - I think it's a suspension spacer from some other car - found it in my "miscellaneous" bin). The exhaust system has flex sections so this shouldn't cause any problems. I'll let you all know if this works.
  • new_mellenew_melle Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering a 01 PF SE and after reading about these vibration problems, I'm wondering how many of these issues are known by others.

Considering a program PF 01 with 15-20K miles.
    Weighing difference in price

Anyone get a deal on PF 01 SE. What did you pay.

thanks.
  • path01path01 Member Posts: 14
    My 2001 Pathfinder LE came with the factory hitch (Port Option I believe) and has no interference with the exhaust system whatsoever.
  • joe233joe233 Member Posts: 43
    I'd also like to know more about the towing issues. I plan to tow a 3500# ski boat using the factory hitch once the weather warms up.
    Also, what is the "load compensator for better rear axle braking" you refered to? Is that something on your trailer, or is it in the Pathfinder?
    joe
    The DrawTite hitch that caused my problem was a tubular hitch--it is the only hitch listed on the DrawTite web site. I also did as "bgritz" did and padded the point on the hitch that pressed against the muffler, and it helped some with the intensity of the vibration and noise, but during periods of acceleration (everybody wishes to let the "ponies" run sometimes) there was still noise that was annoying and I felt I shouldn't have to listen to in a new vehicle.
    Well, this is another fine example of how this board is beneficial to its readers and posters. If there are any PF owners without hitch inteference problems, I would like to hear from them (to give me & others a sense of confidence).

Thanks to CLIMBER3 and other posters, I guess I will NOT be getting a hitch installed on my 01 PF SE AWD. I was so looking forward to transporting our 4 bikes on it, I'll just have to go roller blading instead!!!

OIL CHANGES >>>
    1/ Should I throw in some Mobil 1 synthetic oil with 2,000 miles on the clock?
    2/ What size drain plug gasket is required?
    3/ How many gallons (liters) of engine oil is required?
    4/ Is it worth the trouble of doing your own oil changes?

TIA
    Pil:

Would you be kind enough to provide those tips on installing these mouldings? Depending on the degree of technical difficulty, I may or may not want to spend a Saturday or Sunday putting them on!

TIA
  • mamaemamae Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2001 Infiniti QX4 and installed the Draw-Tite tubular tow hitch. I don't have any rattling and it looks great.

My one complaint is the brakes. The brakes on this car are awful with or without a boat on the back. Nissan really needs to stop their cost cutting measures and put disc brakes in the rear.

By the way, I tow a 2000-2200 lb. boat, nothing real heavy and certainly not close to the 5000lb rating.
  • trucker11trucker11 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to hear about the vibrations. I have owned a 88, now own a 98 and 2001 PF and none of them have ever remotely vibrated. Just thought I would answer your request to hear from other owners.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Really pretty straight forward. Should take you around 1 hour to do them all. The big keys are:

1. Clean the surface of the truck where the mouldings go very well (no wax, oil, grease, etc.) using denatured alcohol or the like.

2. Use masking tape to give you a straight guideline below which to apply the mouldings (you can adjust the tape to make it straight, not the moulding once it is stuck).

3. Make sure you leave the small gap (1/4 inch or so) in front of each moulding to allow clearances when opening the doors (they mention this...don't forget it).

4. Apply them to a room temp (not hot or cold) surface and roll them evenly to get complete adhesion.

Hope this helps.
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    joe233: The load compensator is on the 4wd only. It adds secondary pressure
    to the rear brakes. It is connected from the rear axle to the body next to the diff.
    has a spring on it. More the body sags the more brake pressure?? I pulled a 4x8
    trailer with about 1/2 yard of dirt last week end and I was not impressed. The engine has
    HP but no torque at low to middle rpm. The rated hp is 6500 rpm not much hp at
    2000 to 2500 rpm. And the brakes........with 3500lbs you might have to used both
    feet. I just about ordered a GMC Yukon when I purchaces the PF. Now I wish I did.
    Steve
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Well. I've mentioned this before but I'll put in my 2 cents again here. My boat and trailer together are about 4000 lbs and I have no difficulty pulling it or braking. I do have surge brakes on the trailer to assist ( I believe this is 'required/recommended' if you tow over 3000 lbs). I've even had no trouble pulling the boat out of the water up the ramp (much harder than pulling on the level). I use 4WD LO to help with traction and to increase the torque (only coming up the ramp)...it makes a big difference. The PF has 265 ft-lbs of torque...that's a pretty good number. The Expedition has 291, Tahoe 290, Suburban 325...these are V8s.

I'm sure that pulling with a Suburban or Excursion would be even easier but my experience has been fine.

BTW...there's a new topic under SUVs for boat towing (only 4 posts so far) but there's mention of a good web site: www.trailerboats.com

Tom
    For those of you who haven't already seen the New line of Nissans coming soon. Check out this link: http://www.nissandriven.com/menu_nf.html

click on the "new thinking ahead" link to see videos/photos of upcoming lauches. I think Nissan will have a hit with the new Altima, especially since it will have the same 240 hp engine as our PF.
    Has anyone else noticed that their instrument panel lens (the plastic cover over the speedo and tach) is all scratched to hell. Today when I was looking at it on my 01 LE, the light caught it just the right way and it looked like someone took 20 G sandpaper to it. The funny thing is that I have only cleaned this once maybe twice since I own the truck. I used a moist towelette that we use to clean the lens on our million dollar microscopes at work. I only wiped lightly to remove the dust that accumulated. I can definitely see down the road that I will have to replace this. It really looks like hell. I assume that it would be an easy replacement. A couple of screws here or there. Can anyone with a shop manual enlighten me?
    Hidden hitch also makes a hitch for the Pathfinder (www.hiddenhitch.com). I do not know if it is shaped like the DrawTite. I did not have time to investigate this as I had to have a hitch on by a certain date and my only option was a factory Nissan hitch, which I can attest was more difficult to install than the DrawTite.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    I installed a Hidden Hitch on my 2001 Pathfinder. It has round tubes, and does not rub on any parts of the muffler system. The only complaint is that the 2" receiver results in a rattle of the draw bar, something not noticable with my Hidden Hitch on my 95 Pathfinder. I have tried my draw bar in other hitches and they all seem to have some sloppiness. I was advised by a Nissan dealer that the Nissan hitch is manufactured by Hidden Hitch.
  • nismofreaknismofreak Member Posts: 120
    I am curious how my fellow Pathy owners are doing with the current gas prices. The last time I bought gas here in Jersey, it was $1.639 for premium. And that was back on 4/21. Are people bothering with mixing 92/93 and 89? Is anyone really worried about the higher prices?

just wonderin'...
    -nismo