Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• austnpwr88austnpwr88 Member Posts: 3
    On the 2001 SE 4WD Automatic, what does the microfilter do/look like/where is it, what does the body color side molding look like/where is it, and lastly, what does the pattern exactly look like of the charcoal cloth? Thanx.
  • jci109jci109 Member Posts: 9
    Oh, don't get me started about gas prices. I live in N.CA and it is $2.15 for premium (I don't think that you can even buy propane for as little money as you are paying for premium gas in Jersey). We have not mixed gas octane only because we knew going into buying this $34,000 car we shouldn't skimp on the little things. We do not want to risk the potential knocking or pinging that might occur if we use the lower octane's. We have already had that experience after owning an Explorer that used Regular unleaded, but one day starting the noises and we had to switch to the higher Octane (never to hear the noises again). I think that I am willing to pay .20 more a gallon to avoid any problems.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    jci109, sorry that you're paying too much on gas. In Orlando, I filled up my tank yesterday at Costco for $1.699/gallon. However, I am still ticked off that the PF only requires premium. Oh well, I knew this going into the purchase of the PF. We don't use the PF very much, it's supposed to be the mommymobile. I bought my PF last July and I only have 8,000 miles on it. Sometimes, I wish I had bought a stationwagon or something similar. However, as soon as I get into that PF and let that engine go, I forget all these things. I truly enjoy the PF!
  • joe233joe233 Member Posts: 43
    I'm runnig mid-grade in my ' 01 LE, and haven't noticed any problems. Paying about 1.83/gal for mid-grade in Rochester, NY. I know the gas prices are about a nickle cheaper in Buffalo tho.
    I've got ~2200miles so far, and milage has consistantly been in the high 15's for city driving.
    Last year, one of the local news stations had a Lowest Gas Price board on their web site, but I haven't seen it start up again yet.
    Every now and then I'll run a tank of the Sunoco-Ultra, very peppy!
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    Well I knew sooner or later I would get my first ding in a parking lot, but I didn't count on it happening so early into my ownership. The slime ball driver clipped my right side rear bumper and part of the fender flare, and then drove away. A witness told me she saw the whole thing but didn't have her glasses on to read the licsense plate. I now only approach my PF from the left so that I don't have to look at the damage on the right side until I get it repaired.
  • menswearmenswear Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone installed aftermarket wood trim kits for 01 PF? How did it come out? Which company did you get the woodkit from? What type wood did you use?
  • tivmiketivmike Member Posts: 7
    I have a questions about the Rear LSD option for the LE. I assume this is the same for Infiniti's so feel free to give your input if you're a QX4er.
    I am working with a dealer to get a LE 4x4 with rear LSD. He said that he cannot find this in Texas. He is telling me that the All-Mode LE's, when put into 4x4-Lo lock all diffs. Is it true that this locks both the center AND rear diff? Or does it just lock the center diff?
    I do plan on doing occasional (but sometimes fairly trying) 4x4 in this vehicle and LSD seems like an option I should NOT compromise on. If the diffs do indeed lock in 4x4-Lo, I will consider it, if they do not. I think I will hold out.
    What are your opinions on this? Is the dealer lying to me (*gasp* heaven forbid) about the locking diffs? He is trying to pressure me into this vehicle saying it is the only one in Texas with the rest of the features and the color that I want. LE - Sierra Silver - 4x4 - Rear LSD - Sunroof Deflector - Leather - Tow Hitch. We have also looked at ones w/o Tow Hitch w/ consideration he may install one after-market. Still no dice. I called another dealer and they confirmed that this model is indeed hard to come by in the entire state of Texas.
    I do not need the vehicle NOW. I can wait a month or even two. I just want to make sure that what I get is what I want.
    Any opinions? Thanks - Mike-
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Well, here in NY (Long Island) I've gone from 1.65 a month ago to $2.00 last nite. As far as worrying...I don't worry but who would be happy paying $6 more for a fill-up? Not a killer but it stinks. Article in the NY Times today blames it under-capacity of refiners and increased demand (mostly from SUVs...haha).

jc109: nismofreak was referring to mixing 89 & 93 (there was a thread on this a while back that I was in)...if you mix 89 & 93 octane (in equal amounts, of course) you get 91 octane...which is what the PF requires (minimum)unless you're at higher elevations. Where I buy gas, it's only a 5 cent diff between 89 and 93 so I would only save 90 cents on a fill-up...not worth the bother IMO.

Tom
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    Your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about. Surprised?

Where are you located (Dallas? Houston?)? I've had good luck at Courtesy Nissan in Dallas on Hwy 75, I think, (service only) and Robbins Nissan/Chevy/Olds in Humble (NE of Houston on 59). If you go to Robbins, ask for Dewey (I can't remember his last name...he's a small, older gentleman). Tell Dewey that Jamey's son, Matt, sent you because you were looking for a straight shooter. We've purchased 3 Nissans from him (2 Altimas and a Maxima in '94 and '95). I talked to him there in '99, so I'm pretty sure he's still there. I would have purchased my Pathy from him, but it was on the move to Wisconsin that the JGC it replaced crapped out.

Anyway, putting the transfer case in 4Lo only locks the center diff (as does putting the 'case in 4Hi). The Pathfinder doesn't offer a locking rear diff. I'd definitely hold out to get LSD. I didn't hold out and now I'm looking for a way to get it.

Good luck!
  • austnpwr88austnpwr88 Member Posts: 3
    What exactly does this do, where is it located, is it visible and if so, what does it look like. Thanx...
  • sls666sls666 Member Posts: 10
    Pardon the pun. :-) I got my first scratch after only a few months & low miles (approx 2500K). Only, I didn't have a witness. I only found the scratch on the lower left rear panel (behind the tire), after I took it in to get the snow and salt washed off. I thought on of the guys washing the car did it (I only hand was my new baby!). Boy was I pissed!!!

I know where it occurred, at my health club, which has a large number of elderly members, who don't seem to know what "parking between the yellow line" means. Now, even if I have to walk 3 blocks, I don't park in the lot anymore. I hope at least, your insurance is covering it. Me, I'm just gonna suck it up & pay for the job myself. :-(
    Who's the lucky dog that only paid $1.69/gal for gas?! I live in Chicago & right now the lowest price I've seen for premium is $2.18! Consider yourself lucky. Since I take the Expressway to/from work (better gas mileage), I'm only using premium. Ah, the price we pay to drive the best on the road.......
    Bimmer4me - don't feel too bad. About a month after I bought my new, shiny, 2001, sierra silver LE, I was loading up the back. I had a few things outside the garage, so I decided to pull the truck out & finish loading up. Well, stoopid me. In order to save time, I didn't close the rear window & instead drove out, thinking I would clear the door. Guess again!!

Needless to say, I ended up with a busted rear wiper and a couple of really nice scratches along the top of the car. :-( Luckily I'm the only one who knows they're up there.
  • wcrolandwcroland Member Posts: 26
    That is very hard to come by in TX. I got LE with everything you want and LSD and only had to wait two days, but when the dealers knew my dealer found it, he had to go 200 miles, every dealer wanted the truck. Just factory order it, it might be 6 weeks, but that is better than compromising!
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    The in-cabin microfilter cleans the heater/A/C air. The air is drawn in at the cowl and may be dusty or contain pollen. The filter is in the air/fan duct behind the glovebox (yes, you have to remove the glovebox to change/install it). It isn't that hard. Scan previous messages and you'll find my postings on how I installed mine.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    For all you Denver and Front Range people, here is a couple of databases for the cheapest gas in the area.

www.cogasprices.com/
    www.koaa.com/community/reference/gas_central/GasTracker.asp?state=Colorado

I paid $1.99 last weekend for premium down south off Lincoln Ave.
    What kills me is that gas is anywhere between $.05-$.15 cheaper near where I work (Lakewood), than where I live (Highlands Ranch). Hmmmm...same gas, different demographics = gouging?

I think so
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    With the all-mode 4wd system on the LE, there are 3 differentials - front, rear, and center (inside the transfer case). In auto mode, all 3 diffs are "unlocked", but in 4hi or 4lo, only the center (t-case) diff locks to ensure that the front and rear diffs receive the same amount of torque.

The LSD option for the rear diff enhances vehicle stability and traction in any 4wd position, including 2wd. It essentially allows engine power from the rear propeller shaft (drive shaft) to be transferred to the tire that has more traction, up to a limited amount of slippage, hence "limited-slip differential".

This is advantageous if one rear wheel is in mud or ice, and the other wheel is on pavement, for example. Without the LSD, the wheel on ice will spin and the wheel on pavement won't move at all. With the LSD, some engine power gets transferred to the wheel on pavement, so you won't be stuck.

Note: even in 4wd-lo, if one rear tire and one front tire don't have sufficient traction, it's possible to get stuck without the LSD.

See this link for a movie clip illustrating an extreme example of low traction in 4wd. This vehicle HAS a limited slip rear diff, but one rear tire is completely off the ground. With an open diff, no forward progress would have been possible.

http://members.telocity.com/deanandconnie/hh0301/dean_wheelspin.mov

• danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    Just my opinion here not to get a war started!
    When someone goes to a McDonalds isn't the price usually the same at the locations around the same area? At least around here it is so this leads me to wonder why the same gas station chains will sell at different prices? I understand that each station is probably independently owned, but aren't most McDonalds independently owned as well? Just something to consider.

Dano
  • kashkdzkashkdz Member Posts: 1
    The driver and passenger side doors on my '97 Path Le are getting harder and harder to open/close. I've tried wd40 and some other lubricants to make opening/closing the doors better. It seems that the bar that controls the door swing, makes a slight grinding sound inside the door panel.
    Does anyone else have this problem and any recommendations. Thanks.
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    Just got a call from my wife that her remote to open the doors is not functioning. She left the trunk door opened when she used the remote to lock the doors. When she came back, it will not work anymore.

Anyone experienced the same? I will check the batteries when I come home but I think it has something to do with her leaving the door opened. Thanks.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    I have used the remote to lock/arm the alarm while the tailgate was open w/o any sort of problems. Don't know what to tell ya. sorry.
  • aspenwhiteaspenwhite Member Posts: 39
    bgritz,
    Have you tried the Costco station in HR? $1.89 for premium last Monday...
  • philipc1philipc1 Member Posts: 10
    I LIVE JUST NORTH OF FT. LAUDERDALE. HIGH TEST IS $1.83/GAL.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    Here in south-central British Columbia, 91 octane is about Canadian 80 cents/litre, which amounts to about Canadian $2.93 for a US gallon. At a 55% dollar exchange rate, I make this to be about the equivalent of $1.90 US for a US gallon.

Woody
  • poswaldposwald Member Posts: 38
    filod: I had that happen to me also. It took a little while to figure out what was going on. It also won't let you lock the doors with teh remote if a door is open. Most of the time it is the hatch that is the suspect. Like in the old days, you can always use the key to unlock though..just in case it happens to her again.
  • climber3climber3 Member Posts: 13
    I live in Pueblo, CO, and gas at Sam's Club was $1.69 for premium (listed as octane 91 on the pump). The gas station next door had premium for $1.99 a gallon. I feel some trepidation when I fill up, wondering if the octane is as advertised. Any thoughts or comments?
  • nismofreaknismofreak Member Posts: 120
    It is reasonable thing to worry about. But what you are more likely to run into are gas stations that report 1 gal of gas but it is really pumping less than 1 gal. A friend worked for the State inspecting random gas stations for this offense. It is scary how rampant it was (and maybe still is) in NJ.

-nismo
  • joe233joe233 Member Posts: 43
    here's a dumb question - what kind of differential is in the front?
    In 4wd, do both front tires drive together, just one, or is it limited slip like the rear?
    I never see anything written about the front diff, just the rear.
    Sorry if this is one of those basics everyone already knows.
  • sr75sr75 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2001 pf le w/ all options. After getting it home, I noticed a dent towards the bottom of the front bumper that I hadn't noticed at the dealer (I should have inspected more closely). When I contacted them, they were pretty much aware of it and agreed to have the bumper replaced at a reputably body shop. I can live w/ that.

Then last week my wife (she drives the pf) calls me w/ a flat tire. I took it in to have it patched and was told the tire had already been plugged (a temporary fix) and that was the cause of the leak.

I'm growing very concerned about the condition of this "new" vehicle. Am I just being picky or does anyone else agree that my dealership owes me some explanations and a full inspection of the vehicle so that I don't run into any more "surprises"? Nothing pisses me off more that my wife being stranded w/ a 1 1/2 month "old" vehicle.
    How many miles were on the vehicle when you bought it? Where did you buy it? (State and dealership) Did you test drive it before you signed the acceptance letter?
  • sr75sr75 Member Posts: 2
    It had about 200 mile on it when I purchased. I test drove 2 x's before buying. Drove fine then and still drives fine now. It was purchased from Warsaw Nissan in Indiana.

I'm just concerned about finding more problems.
    That's not a dumb question at all.

The front differential is an "open" differential. This means that engine torque is split evenly to both wheels as long as they both have equal traction. If one wheel loses traction, then it becomes much easier to turn than the other wheel, and nearly all engine torque is applied to that loose wheel. There usually isn't an option for having a limited-slip FRONT differential because it makes steering a lot more difficult in 4wd.

(BTW, a differential merely enables 2 wheels on one axle to rotate at different speeds during turns)

See this link for more info:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

• poswaldposwald Member Posts: 38
    I am thinking of tinting the front windows on my 01 PF LE this weekend. Anbody know what tint would best match the look on the rear windows & hatch? I'm thinking 35% would match perfect. 20% I think would be too dark.
  • suvluvsuvluv Member Posts: 7
    I live in Texas and told them that I wanted the darkest legal tint. I think that as long as you ask for "smoke" tint, you'll be okay. Mine looks great. Make sure it comes with a good warranty!
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    xplorx4: The PF has 2 differentials the center transmission is a transfer trans. It transfers the engine torque to the front and rear diff. It also has what is called a back gear and it is engaged when the transfer case it shifted into 4wd low. The rear diff. has clutches on both sides of the ring gear kinda lock both axles to the ring gear so that torque is applied equally to both wheels. The PF seems
    to have above average LSD. These clutches are the reason that special LSD oil is required. The front diff is a regular non LSD. Might be idea during the summer months to shift into 4wd just to lubercate the bearings and gears.
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    Does the Canadian 01 PF have this cabin filter? If so, where do you buy replacement filters? Why did Nissan make it sooo difficult to replace?

Does anyone discourage introduction of 100% synthetic engine oil at 4000 miles (6400 km) on the odometer?

TIA
  • njgeorgianjgeorgia Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering buying a 2WD LE and really like the style and horsepower of the PF but I'm concerned about the leg room in the back seat. Most of the time I'll be driving alone to and from work but I'm just concerned about the times I, or other adults, will have to ride in the back. Also looking at a Trooper. Montero is nice but a bit out of my price range since I want leather seats.
    I started using syn oil at 1700 mi now with 5200 mi with no oil usage. Dealer told
    me that just as long the oil consumption was nil it wasn't an issue. Using Valvoline
    syn 5w-30 and very pleased. Works good in the lawn mower too!! I will start using
    Amsoil filter because of the oil filter confusion. Can't find the new Purolator L14610.
    Back seats; it depends on the size of passengers in the front seat. Not a real problem.
  • jadedejadede Member Posts: 6
    I LIVE IN NJ AND AM LOOKNG INTO LEASING A 4RUNNER OR PATHFINDER. FIRST I DO NOT NEED OR WANT A 4X4. HAS ANYONE ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO GET A 4X2? DEALERS GIVE ME THE SAME BS ABOUT HOW THEY CAN'T GET 4X2 HERE. I DON'T
    BELIEVE IT. SECONDLY, ANYONE KNOW WHEN THE 2002 PF'S ARE DUE IN DEALERS. MY CURRENT LEASE IS UP IN SEPT. SHOULD I WAIT AND ORDER A 2002.ONE DEALER TOLD ME THEY WILL BE TAKING ORDERS IN AUGUST. THIRD, I HAVE DRIVEN BOTH MY MISTAKE WAS DRIVING THE PF AFTER ALMOST SETTLING ON THE 4RUNNER. THE PF SEEMS MUCH TIGHTER WITH LESS ROOM THAN THE 4R. THE 4R RIDES ROUGHER AND HAS MUCH MORE WIND NOISE BUT THE RESIDUAl IS UNBEATABLE = LOWER LEASE PAYMENTS.
    ANYONE HAVE SOME ADVICE. MY WIFE WANTS A TAHOE BUT I CAN'T JUSTIFY 35000.

THANKS
    Okay. If the front diff is open, why wouldn't we be able to use it on dry pavement in 4 hi? Even if the front was LSD, then again, it should not be an issue to use it in dry, no?

Case in point: The DSM AWD car have 3 diffs: Front, centre and rear. The centre and rear are LSD so if both rear and one front don't have traction, then you are stuck.

Seriously confused about the front diff on the Pathy. What Meca said made sense to me: Two diffs (centre and rear). Why else would the front end "hop" with 4 Hi (or Lo) engaged?
  • tivmiketivmike Member Posts: 7
    Anyone care to post prices you paid in Texas?
    wcroland??
    Here's what I want:
    2001 Pathfinder 4x4 LE
    Sierra Silver - Leather Package - Rear LSD - Tow Hitch - Sunroof deflector

The best quote I have from a dealer so far is $32,000. I have asked around and they say that since demand is so high in Texas, they will not go lower. I have asked a few dealers. I even showed them posts from here saying people are paying nearly $1000 less than that around the country and they will not budge. Am I getting jacked?
    Any experience with ordering? My dealer says that he cannot find the model with options I am looking for so he may have to order. He says that if I order now it will take 90 days, but the good thing is it will be a 2002 model. Only bad thing is that the 3.9% is going on now and they said that I will get whatever rate is going on when the vehicle arrives. Does anyone know historically how long Nissan carries APR deals on for? With the economy as it is, I'm hoping I will still have that rate in 3 months.
    Any opinions?
    Thanks!
    -Mike-
  • jci109jci109 Member Posts: 9
    Mike, the only thing that I can contribute regarding the APR is that they have had the 3.9% offer going on since January of this year....at least. Historically, I do not know how long they generally keep these APR's, but I would imagine they will continue for some time. They are really trying to push the sale of the PF.

We paid about 34,000 for the same options you have requested, but also included the entertainment center. I live in N.CA where they were also (at the time in Feb) offering cash back incentives as well which brought it down to around 32,000. It does seem like you could get a better deal, but most of those deals seem to be coming out of Canada...I could be wrong though. Good luck on your search for the best deal.
  • tonverangatonveranga Member Posts: 29
    I had heard that PF will have a new body style coming out this year. Can anyone verify this?
    Nismofreak- here's a kind of basic explanation of why 4WD isn't suitable for pavement:

In a straight line, all tires rotate at the same speed. Around a turn, each tire travels a different path, so each tire rotates at a different speed. The outer tire always rotates faster than the inner tire on each axle, and since the front tires travel a wider arc than the rear, then the front driveshaft rotates faster than the rear driveshaft.

This is why there must be 3 differentials on AWD vehicles. However, a part-time 4WD vehicle (with only 4hi and 4lo, not auto-mode,etc) does not have a center differential, and both the front and rear driveshafts MUST rotate at the same speed.
    On the new Pathfinder auto-mode 4wd system, 4Hi and 4Lo modes lock the center differential. Otherwise it's unlocked, allowing each driveshaft to rotate at different speeds.

So in 4hi/4lo on high-traction surfaces, the front driveshaft can't [easily] rotate faster than the rear, causing a buildup of tension in the driveline components. This tension is released by either wheel slippage/wheel-hop or driveline breakage.

I hope that makes sense.
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    How did you settle on Valvoline synthetic? I heard Mobil 1 tri-syn was one of the best? Any problems using 10W30 even though owner's manual clearly states 5W30?

Do you think those orange Fram oil filters in Walmart are any good?

I put a K&N air filter in since Day 1 ... all good so far!

TIA
    ballfire8888: looking at Edmonds syn oil and other places Valvoline seemed to be the best choice. My first is Amsoil but it's difficult to get and more expensive.Amsoil claims 24k per year but I only drive 6-10k per year. Mobil-1 had alot of problems with their aviation oil in the early '90s. Mobil-1 was destroying engines in 200 hrs and I feel they did very little or no testing or quality assurance before selling it to the Aviation public for this reason I will not use it. It seems like someone used Mobil-1 in their PF and it started using alot of oil,might have to look back about 200 to 300 posts.The PF manual says 10w30 or 10w40 can be used from -18C and higher. During the winter I go skiing where it can get -20F and lower so I have been using 5w30. Use what you want. Fram oil filter?? Most opinions say it's a mediocre filter, Purolator is better but I haven't found their L14610 is what Purolator says to use on all 2001 Nissans. Air filters? I installed a foam Amsoil air filter and have been using the in my other cars for years. K&N claims to have more air flow but in several air filter test it doesn't filter as well as a foam or even
    a poor quality paper filter. It would be interesting to use a K&N
    filter for an oil change and have the oil tested for silica and then
    use a foam for an oil change and have the oil tested then paper??
    Got it...
  • skgskg Member Posts: 16
    tivmike,
    I just checked CarsDirect.com for a 2001 LE AWD with your listed options (Leather, Tow package, LSD, and Sun Roof Deflector) and they list the price at $31397.
    Hope this helps.
    SKG
  • menswearmenswear Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone noticed that you can hear distinct road noise coming from the center vent, or is it just my 01 PF that does this? Could it be that my PF is missing something to insulate the noise coming from the road?
  • njgeorgianjgeorgia Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking of getting a Pathfinder soon in the Atlanta area and am interested in the 3.9% financing. Has anyone experienced any "catches" with this dealer financing, ex. different price for the car, hidden costs, etc.?