Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles

Comments

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    My credit score was about 800 out of possible 850.

And you call yourself a farmer.....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Oh, didn't he mention that his last name is Del Monte? :P

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did you go looking for a used car and find that prices were so high that it made more sense to buy a new car instead? Or found that your trade-in was worth a lot more than you expected?

If so, a reporter wants to interview you. Please email pr@edmunds.com no later than 3pm Eastern on Thursday, May 5, 2011 and include your daytime contact information.
  • flyingfranchflyingfranch Member Posts: 1
    Will a dealership put a car in the Certified Pre-Owned Program if it has a history of structural damage from a documented accident?

If they would , what is the point of the program? How worried should I be when buying through a certified program?
  • oldbearcatoldbearcat Member Posts: 197
    In the past I've checked out both Jaguar and BMW CPO cars. Both dealers told me that the cars have to have a clean carfax to be certified, and, that they would present me with a copy of the carfax report on any car I was interested in. I ended up buying a CPO Jag, and, as soon as I got back from my test drive, the salesman presented me with the report before we entered into negotiations. Most manufacturers list the details of their CPO program on their websites. I have seen dealers here list cars as CPO - but, they weren't true "factory -backed" CPO cars. They were simply cars that carried an aftermarket extended warranty that wasn't nearly as good as a authentic CPO vehicle. I believe this website has an overall comparison of everbody's factory CPO programs as well.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Nope.

The car has to have a clean title history, Carfax accident reports are nonsense. I say that with a grain of salt, they devalue a car, but there's still lots of cars out there with previous structural damage and clean Carfax reports, meanwhile a scuffed bumper can cause a Carfax report to show an accident.

Before CarSpace went down I had pics up of a BMW burnt to a rusty shell that had a clean Carfax.....
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    So does anyone have a link as to just how much information Carfax is able to collect? I mean how do they get their information, and is it the same from state-to-state? Given that it seems every computer database has significant problems - take for example the recent reports that 1 in 9 $ going to unemployment shouldn't have, I don't think I have much faith in carfax. Thomas (Tom) Kernich
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Carfax gets most of their information from police reports, rarely insurance claims. Also, from some body shops.

Basically they do a really good job of advertising a relatively useful product, and do a great job of insinuating that unless the dealer you're talking to uses their reports that they are less than reputable.

They make their money by charging dealers $1000s per month to sign up for unlimited reports.

As for me? I've seen way too many cars at the auction with structural damage announcements and clean carfax reports to put much faith in their service. Plus, IMO, their marketing scheme is of questionable ethics.

The one service that's a LOT more accurate in my experience is AutoCheck.
  • mary05mary05 Member Posts: 5
    .....And is any one else a little sick and tired of the whole " Certified" crap? Dealerships offering that term, coupled with a newer inspection sticker slapped on, as a selling point? I've had vehicles that were supposedly certified and inspected that needed hundreds of dollars of work done by the next inspection- usually brakes and rotors, tie rods, etc. When I asked someone who worked for a dealership, he said if the brakes have on just enough tread to pass inspection, they pass it. If anything else passes, even at the bare minumum, it has technically passed inspection, and therefore, certified that it was looked at. Certified does not mean they've replaced things like timing belts, serpentine belts, water pumps, had coolant system flushes and anything else -even if they're waaayyy overdue- if they ain't broke, if they have just enough brake pad tread to last for 30 days after you've bought it- that's all they care about. Wonder why no hotshot lawyer has taken up a class action lawsuit against this practice? Always ask for a record of maintenance. If it was a trade from someone who did not keep clear records, then it should be the dealer's obligation to REPLACE maintenance items, not just deceive people into thinking the vehicle has been properly maintained. If not, be honest and sell it " AS IS".
  • esylivinesylivin Member Posts: 1
    if a car is manufactured after the month of aug is it to be sold as the following years model ie; aug 2011 sold as a 2012 model. I bought a Chevy Van that was advertised and sold as 2012 but when pink slip came in the mail it shows that its a 2011.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    if a car is manufactured after the month of aug is it to be sold as the following years model ie; aug 2011 sold as a 2012 model.

No. The model year is what the manufacturer says it is based on some parameters. What does the Monroney sticker say - the window sticker from the vehicle?

If it's 2012, then there is an issue on the title and you need to get it fixed.
  • cadillacmikecadillacmike Member Posts: 543
    That was an over generalization, that I have found to be not true. Each of the last 4 CPO vehicles my wife and I have bought came with detailed inspection sheets where the brakes were all individually measured and the replacement parameters were clearly specified including the the tire tread depth, etc.

I can't speak as to over due cooling flush requirements since all these were less than 2 years old (a couple were less than 1 year old, so that was was not required service. The last 3 even had new tires installed, that's always a plus with the cost of those W rated 18" 50 series tires being what they are.

But everything else was reviewed, and you can be sure I looked at them. I also looked at the engine oil, to be sure it was just changed, etc. There was a scuff on the wheel of the last one, that they polished out for me when i brought it to their attention (no painted or clear coated wheels for me, chrome or machine polished only!)

Of course these were all Cadillac CPO vehicles, and that might have had something to do with it. I've had no after sales service issues with any of them either, and the last 3 were not even bought at my local dealer. I had to hunt the cars down. I always looked there first, but i had specific requirements, that their "used car factory" couldn't produce.

I'm pretty much off new cars now with the CPO programs being what they are (at least for Cadillac).
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    I wish i could get the wife to consider one of these for her next ride but she's intent on always buying brand new. From your experiences and others I know, they've also gotten great vehicles that look and perform like new with a great factory warranty for a nice discount. Sure, there are certain vehicles that new does make sense but for the pricier, nicer ones, this is a great way to go to get a better more lux vehicle for almost new. Hearing your experiences just makes me want to go that route next time out for me...I've always been an economy car driver but next time, I'm thinking a bit more upscale vehicle would be a nice change since it just possibly will be my last. Am torn though over this and am back and forth depending on the day I guess. Luckily I won't be in the market until 2016 or so...I have plenty of time here and am hoping by then that there is a much better selection of vehicles in the 180" and smaller vehicles as I don't want a big vehicle at all...even a mid sizer is a bit too large for me. And it'll have to have a power seat due to my spinal issues which is why an entry lux brand will probably be the choice I settle on. I deserve something a bit nicer now that I'm a bit older and the kids are almost all gone totally! I deserve it!! :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Sandman, good luck in your search in a couple years. Who know what manufacturer offerings will be out there..

High end US makes have suffered big drops recently in their first 2 years, so getting a new one makes no sense to me. The only downfall is you can't "order" a used car. I tried, but the the used car factory was all out of silver STSs with V8 and grey leather interiors. :P

I didn't always buy CPO luxury cars. I've had my share of cavaliers, tempos and even contours over the years, but the high end makers have things better integrated. Cadillac now has an ATS (some of my body on frame jokesters say this means always too small")
    ;)
    The more I read about this vehicle, the more I like it! The few I've sat in have had great seats and it's the perfect sized vehicle. Sure underneath it's a Chevy Cruze, but it's so much more...great job GM!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• ohenryxohenryx Member Posts: 285
    edited July 2013
    I don't think I would like it (the Verano).

In Edmunds performance testing, the Verano accelerated from zero to 60 mph in 9.0 seconds, which is slow for cars in this class.

Now the turbo charged model, heck yeah! But then, the turbo is only available in the top trim level, with an MSRP of over $29k.

Certified pre-owned models don't make a lot of sense in the current car market. Any late model used vehicle is insanely expensive. Qbrozen made a comment the other day that the Mustang GT he just recently purchased would sell at auction for more than he spent buying it brand new.
    I disagree. It does depend on the car somewhat, but the makes with good CPO factory warranty extensions (luxury makes) remain very good CPO buys.

Would you rather pay $76,000 for a new XYZmobile or $35,000 for a 2 year old CPO that still has 48 months and 90,000 miles on the factory / CPO warranty?????

I know what I'm buying.
    Depending on the make, I know to. Just hope the previous owner broke it in right and did the proper maintenance. I'd definitely trust a Buick cpo'd model and the more I see the vehicle, the more I like it!

• ohenryxohenryx Member Posts: 285
    I will have to concede your point here, at least in regards to a Cadillac or similar expensive luxury car. A 3 year old CPO Cadillac is going to be a much better buy than a new one. I was thinking of more main stream cars, Chevy, Honda, Toyota.
  • markarmarkar Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys, i have moved in the Usa few years ago and when i arrived here i bought a BMW 328,2008, now it has 130k miles and i tried to sell it. Most of the interested customers asked if this car is certified and is it under warranty? So i don't know what to do, how to make my car certified and under warranty? Any help?!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    It is 130k miles. The answer is NO. Even if it was BMW certified at some point, it would have expired long ago. I don't know of ANY manufacturer that covers certified cars past 100k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I see. But i thought that some car services can provide me a certificate that my car has been inspected and it is in good condition.
    a BMW dealer could certainly perform a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) for a fee and give you a printout that you could present to any potential buyers. Personally, I leave that up to the buyer to do. If someone I was buying from had it done, I might be suspicious that they have a friend at that particular dealership and its not on the up and up.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

That's a good point.
    So to have in mind, i can just recommend that option to buyers in order to improve the value of my car.
    And can you give me some tips in order to gain the value of my car?

Yes, I usually strongly recommend to buyers they have a PPI done. I don't want to misrepresent the car in any way.

On your end? To get the most for your car, it needs to be the best it can be. Detail the hell out of it, make sure everything works, and it has ZERO needs. A buyer will pay more if they think they can drive the car immediately without having to put any extra money into it.

And if you want to increase your exposure, take at least 2 dozen high-res photos right after detailing and make a nice ad online with craigslist, enthusiast websites, and ebay local classifieds.

• snapplegsnappleg Member Posts: 1
    I have been thinking of buying pre-owned certified vehicle directly from a dealer (=factory warranty, not 3rd party extended warranty). My price range is around $14,000-17,000 for a sedan, preferably with a low gas consumption. The only thing I am afraid of is getting a CPO car and then realizing that their great-looking-on paper warranty coverage in reality has many exclusions, and I will have to pay for many repairs myself.

I found out that Volvo received Best Premium CPO Program Award from IntelliChoice while Hyundai got Best Popular CPO Program Award for 2013. Volvo presence is very limited in our area so we have very few CPO cars available (besides, there is only one low priced model they have -C30); Hyundai I will look into, but I would like to have more options. I honestly do not understand why Hyundai was rated as having best CPO warranty when it seems like a lot of other car makers have the same type of warranty (according to Certified Pre-Owned Program Guide from cars.com website which compares "similarities and differences among 38 manufacturer Certified Pre-Owned programs")

Do you personally have any experience with buying CPO cars? What brand would you recommend/not recommend and why? Thank you for your input!
  • tirath5utirath5u Member Posts: 5

Hi-

Wanted to know what you guys thought about this deal. I'm looking to contribute in way I can. So will start off with my question: I am looking to buy a CPO 2012 BMW 328i Convertible it has 8710 miles on it and clean CarFax report with only one owner.
    It has the following options:

• Premium package
    • Navigation with voice
    • Harman Kardon Music system
    • dynamic Cruise Control,
    • BMW Assist with Bluetooth
    • BMW Teleservices
    • iPod and USP adapter
    • Automatic Climate Control
    • Voice Command
    • Real Time Traffic Information
    • Run-Flat tires.
    • Dark Burl Walnut Wood Trim

The car is only sale for $36,888 with final walk-out price of $40,440. I like the features and the mileage and kind off really want this car. There is 2 years of manufacturer's warranty left and 2 additional years of CPO warranty. So the car will be under warranty till 2018. Is there room for negotiation on the price? I checked Edmunds TMV, Truecar, KBB it says the car is valued at 41K before tax, title, fees - with this configuration and mileage. It probably sounds too good to be true at the moment. This is in Florida. Please let me know if you guys think this is a good deal and if I can negotiate to bring the price down.

Also for got to mention that the car has some minor scratches on the from right bumper that are visible. There are about 5-8 small scruffs and the salesman agreed that the car was ruffled a bit. There is no dent at all.

Walk out price he gave me - and this is before I made any counter offer and walked out, still waiting to receive the CPO Inspection Sheet. : Price: $36888, total Fee: $1222.45 (this includes dealership fees of $699, Tax: 2311.01 = $40421.46.

thanks

T

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Are we certain this is a real CPO car? I presume this is a BMW dealer? Some dealers will tell you they'll "certify" the car if you buy it, and then slap on a 3rd party extended warranty. There should be a CPO sticker on the car that tells you who is backing the warranty and who is issuing the CPO.

Also, don't assume that you're getting an extension of the full factory warranty, even if it is genuine CPO from BMW. You are probably getting a full factory powertrain warranty but a limited extended warranty on everything else. Worth checking!

Yes. I made sure this is a real CPO, and it is a BMW dealer. The CPO is done by BMW and the remaining new-car warranty is about 2 years. I am waiting for them to send in the CPO Inspection Sheet as they just completed the Certification yesterday. BMW on their website has the inspection sheet which I plan to compare it with.

When you say limited extended warranty do you mean the warranty that comes with the car after being certified -2 years in this case. I checked BMW's website and they have a linkto a pdf that tell us what is not covered in the CPO for cars retailed after Jan 1 2014. Are you referring to that?

Yes--often people mistake the 2 extra years as 2 years of FULL warranty, but that's not often the case. It could just be powertrain, or powertrain + limited. CPO doesn't always translate into "trouble free"--just because they check 200 things doesn't mean they replaced 200 things. Those are still 200 parts with mileage on them.

Got it!! I will make sure I check these things in detail. Do you have any inputs on the price here? I am also thinking of getting a PPI done from an independent shop.

It's been mentioned in here before, but even with a CPO car, it's not that expensive to have an independent mechanic go over the "used" car. With a BMW, lots of owners prefer to use their own indy mechanic after warranty so a "PPI" (pre-purchase inspection) would be a good excuse to track one down if you don't have a shop in mind.

yeah a PPI is always good, to get it on a lift and check for collision damage, etc (carfax doesn't catch everything) and perhaps to anticipate future repairs.

• carpersocarperso Member Posts: 148
    There is a 2014 kia optima with less than 10k miles at a local audi dealership. It is used however not certified. I asked the sales guy why it wasnt certified, and he told me that the car can only be certified by a kia dealership. The group that owns the audi dealership also owns a kia dealership across the road. The car is listed under blue book value. I was wondering why they couldnt transfer it to the kia dealership and certify it and sell it for more. I checked out the car and didnt find anything too wrong with. But then i am not a pro at these things. Also the car used to be owned by the sales manager at the groups VW dealership who traded that in for a new audi. Carfax seems clean. Is the sales guy telling the truth that they cannot transfer the car back to the kia and certify it?
    Seems legit. They'd have to sell the car to the other dealership most likely. You could always have an independent body shop look over the car for a small fee if you are concerned about prior collision damage.
    Seems legit. They'd have to sell the car to the other dealership most likely. You could always have an independent body shop look over the car for a small fee if you are concerned about prior collision damage.
    Thank you for the reply. The car also has been up for sale for over two months which is also concerning considering its priced well. 
    What is the difference between a used with remaining factory warranty and a cpo. Is it just the 10 year power train warranty. I mean the remainder of the factory warranty should transfer to the new owner right? 
    edited August 2015
    Yes, and that's one reason I saw today from a dealer as to why a car wasn't being offered as a CPO one. That was new to me. Here's the link.

With a CPO car, in addition to a (sometimes?) longer warranty, you may get roadside assistance or free loaner cars when yours in the shop.
    stever said:

Yes, and that's one reason I saw today from a dealer as to why a car wasn't being offered as a CPO one. That was new to me. Here's the link.

With a CPO car, in addition to a (sometimes?) longer warranty, you may get roadside assistance or free loaner cars when yours in the shop.

Thank you.

I think buyers also need to adjust their expectations about the advantages of a CPO---they are still used cars, after all, and I'm not so sure that the risk level for having trouble with the car is so dramatically lowered by CPO status.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    CPO is a car that comes with an extended warranty. The rest is just marketing.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I've got my first one - a 2013 Mazda 5. No complaints.

I just looked. This topic dates back to 1998. I didn't think there was anything on the boards here that dates back that far!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    YOU date back that far don't you?
    Oh, yes. 1996 or 97. But everybody got a later start date when they changed off of Well Engaged. There's several of us that go back that far.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Yep, we lost all of our seniority and benefits when that happened along with two weeks of vacation.

Wow...hard to believe I started here almost 20 years ago!
    Yep. We're gettin' old....
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    fezo said:
    Yep. We're gettin' old....
     Speak for yourself… 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I'm gettin' old for sure but I just finished climbing Mt. Dana in Yosemite so the carcass is still twitchin' some.....

too old to certify! :'(
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I never climbed Mt. Dana but I did attend Dana Jr. High. Does that count?

Too bad we can't turn back our age odometers.

" Doctor, can I get clocked?"
  • notfastnotfast Member Posts: 93
    kyfdx said:

CPO is a car that comes with an extended warranty. The rest is just marketing.

While I don't disagree with you, but dealer only keep/CPO the best cars their receive or buy at auction.